Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+7
Go Stones!
Oracle
cool breeze
lemonpen
WTF
merc
Phil-Good
11 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty DX: William Bedford was the greatest NBA basketball player I've ever seen...

Post  Oracle Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:38 pm

In pre-game warm ups!

When I went to Bad Boy games, we always wondered why a player that looked that good in warm ups wasn't playing!

At the time I wasn't very deep into the game, more of a casual fan, so I never looked for or wanted to know the details. I was just one of the many dumbasses that were mad that a player that good couldn't get a fair shot  lol

While I was whining, William was dealing and doing a lot of Weed, and moved on to Cocaine, which got him 10 years in the slammer.

Damn DX, now I'm depressed lol lol lol ... just joshing!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty I vote for high I.Q.'s

Post  deusXango Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:12 pm

WTF wrote:We know winners when we see them they're easily identifiable because they came from winning programs, been winners most of their lives and are fundamentally equipped before they even put on a NBA uniform.
This brings to mind an inescapable fact; what player on this young team that fit that description better than Luke Kennard? Why do I silently dread and wonder if he'll be playing in Grand Rapids, because he doesn't have experience.

Why draft a player, but will not allow him to play? Why sign a player to a professional team, but question his abilities, endurance, or I.Q. to grasp the fine points of the pro game by playing, especially when you can see those type players have potential to be outstanding contributors, and/or, the winning pedigree?
Don made a statement that took me back to the late, great, Chuck Day, when talking about playing low I.Q players vs. players who were mentally tough and wanted to win...he had no fear from above and didn't politic to justify running sub-standard lineups out on the floor; William Bedford, anybody remember him? Chuck chose to sit his overpriced ass on the bench, in spite of the fact he was Jack McCloskey's favorite, because he signed him to that ridiculous contract.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty I Love It

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Oracle wrote:FORUM - Page 8 Dipscz10
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Just wondering about the Boston-Cleveland trade

Post  cool breeze Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Is what happened with Irving demanding a trade because of one reason or another going to be the norm in the NBA? As elite players look at the rosters after all the moves take place in the summer, will those players who still have two or more years of contract agreements with their current team demand that team comply with their wishes. I didn't observe anyone within the Cleveland management camp getting pissed off about Irvings demand. Labron just said he was surprised. Then management went to work finding Irving a new home. That was it. What in hell do the Cleveland fans think? Are they ready to dump the cavaliers and pretend they don't exist? Labron makes his intentions known like an idiot with no sensitivity to the fans in his native state and now that happens. If I lived in Cleveland or the State of Ohio and had been pulling for those two players to have success, that might be it for me as a fan of the Cavaliers. What in hell is happening in the NBA? Will the entire business implode because of greed. Greed for money and greed to find the easiest path to winning the championship or in Irving's situation he wants to be the MAN on his own team. Life is short but I think those two players have created something that could ruin the league. Has pro basketball changed so much that fans will tune in to whatever team a player like Labron or Irving might play on? Do they really think they are that loved by basketball fans? The only reason I like watching Labron is to watch him lose. Maybe Labron was so God like and had so much power in this situation Irving just got sick and tired of the drama around James. Irving was one hell of a competitor in the playoffs.

Just wondering how we will feel once we do get a NBA star on our team and that guy tells us he hates playing for the Pistons. In the Irving situation, Cavalier acted like his request was no big deal and made the best of things. And they might have hit the jackpot if that number one pick works out. With all the crazy stuff going on in Cleveland, their future might be brighter than the Pistons even though James will leave next summer when draft day comes around.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Players

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:58 pm

This is largely why I dog most of our players especially many that we have drafted but also players like Reggie. Though I knew KCP had talent I had issue with his Character as a player. I was looking for more than just being happy to put on a uniform as if his dreams for the NBA were concluded with arriving to the NBA. I want players that want to win at all cost

We know winners when we see them they're easily identifiable because they came from winning programs, been winners most of their lives and are fundamentally equipped before they even put on a NBA uniform.

I bet if we kept every fundamentally high IQ player we drafted we'll be winning now but we chose to hold on to false potential for dear life. Could we be a winning team without both Reggie and Andre? I honestly think we could
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Nuff Said...

Post  Oracle Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:40 pm

FORUM - Page 8 Dipscz10
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Let me return the favor...

Post  Oracle Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks Don, and I'd like to acknowledge something that you doggedly keep emphasizing... The importance of BBall IQ!

Zeke also said that once you reach that championship level, it's more a battle of WILLS than a battle of SKILLS. He was really saying that the talent on both sides is sufficient to win, but the team that was mentally stronger was the one likely to prevail.

Can SVG be that coach that wills his team to the next level? Heaven knows that we've had the talent to go further than we've delivered, but SVG has so far failed to get the most out of the players he has.

Some of that is on the players, but if SVG doesn't demand excellence and stop playing clowns that can't or won't give it, nothing will change.

Bradley can lead, but he has to be diplomatic about it until he earns everybody's respect. They have a great opportunity this coming season, I'm cautiously optimistic that they will take advantage of this weak eastern conference to build the confidence needed to move forward.
cool breeze wrote:Zeke said it first. To play well and expect to win anything, you have to play with not only physically talented men but men who have the gift from "the neck up". You cannot win in the NBA will mentally challenged players. You can't win with players who cannot think quickly on the court and have the quick recognition skill set. That is why all former players from high school to the NBA that stats mean next to nothing relating to winning championships or conference titles. You cannot expect to win when you have dumb teammates. Coaches for various reasons sometimes for political purposes say when they fear being fired by a NBA team owner will ignore that one truth and force players to play the game with low basketball IQ players. That is why at times what goes on in the NBA makes no sense. That is why what went on last season with the Pistons made no sense. That season our head coach caved to the pressure from above. He ignored what went on in both practice and in regular season games. Baynes should have been the Pistons starting center. I am not saying Baynes was an outstanding player. I am saying he is respected for being a smart player.

We need a new GM and head coach. We need Isiah Thomas so bad it makes me almost ill thinking he is not with the Pistons directing how things are going down. Just listening to his wisdom in this series on NBA TV reveals how smart a guy he really is. There is no way in hell that Zeke would tolerate coaching Andre Drummond. Zeke knows the type of players it takes to win a championship. Anyway you cut it, Andre Drummond is not and never has been what anyone could call a high basketball IQ player. Yet he is somehow our franchise player. Until the dark ages end and the owner admits the world is round and not flat, those high basketball IQ players have have been assembled will not thrive like they should. We need a smart cagy center who can make good decisions and remember the rotation system. This has done on too long.

By the way Oracle I will admit when I am wrong. We have had this conversation for a long time about the impact of Larry Brown on the Pistons and Billups in particular. In one episode of "Open Court" Billups was asked the question of what it was like before and after Larry Brown arrived. Billups responded by saying everything was different from practice to games. Brown made it clear that he believed the Pistons should and could win the championship. Billups said that changed the culture for his team. You were right on Oracle.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Open Court participants all agree as to what kind of players win championships. It is always the team that has the smartest players

Post  cool breeze Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Zeke said it first. To play well and expect to win anything, you have to play with not only physically talented men but men who have the gift from "the neck up". You cannot win in the NBA will mentally challenged players. You can't win with players who cannot think quickly on the court and have the quick recognition skill set. That is why all former players from high school to the NBA that stats mean next to nothing relating to winning championships or conference titles. You cannot expect to win when you have dumb teammates. Coaches for various reasons sometimes for political purposes say when they fear being fired by a NBA team owner will ignore that one truth and force players to play the game with low basketball IQ players. That is why at times what goes on in the NBA makes no sense. That is why what went on last season with the Pistons made no sense. That season our head coach caved to the pressure from above. He ignored what went on in both practice and in regular season games. Baynes should have been the Pistons starting center. I am not saying Baynes was an outstanding player. I am saying he is respected for being a smart player.

We need a new GM and head coach. We need Isiah Thomas so bad it makes me almost ill thinking he is not with the Pistons directing how things are going down. Just listening to his wisdom in this series on NBA TV reveals how smart a guy he really is. There is no way in hell that Zeke would tolerate coaching Andre Drummond. Zeke knows the type of players it takes to win a championship. Anyway you cut it, Andre Drummond is not and never has been what anyone could call a high basketball IQ player. Yet he is somehow our franchise player. Until the dark ages end and the owner admits the world is round and not flat, those high basketball IQ players have have been assembled will not thrive like they should. We need a smart cagy center who can make good decisions and remember the rotation system. This has done on too long.

By the way Oracle I will admit when I am wrong. We have had this conversation for a long time about the impact of Larry Brown on the Pistons and Billups in particular. In one episode of "Open Court" Billups was asked the question of what it was like before and after Larry Brown arrived. Billups responded by saying everything was different from practice to games. Brown made it clear that he believed the Pistons should and could win the championship. Billups said that changed the culture for his team. You were right on Oracle.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Red Zone Monster He Is

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:24 pm

BallinD wrote:Never really liked stafford until the last two seasons when he showed his "clutch" come from behind resolve and especially last season when it appeared he turned the corner with his ability to scramble a bit and seemed to have a fire in his belly that would not quit.  He is durable, and in the NFL, that's saying a lot.

I'm now a fan and we all know where the Lions would be without him...

But he's got to become a red zone monster.  That is the next level for him.

Red Zone Monster???? He was just that before Megatron started declining, IMO Stafford always had the talent and fire in his belly I can't think off how many times he got up from hits most QB's wouldn't have.

Stafford was always a Gun Slinger with touch and I love Gun Slingers, take away all the drops ball, and blown protection since the start of his career and he likely would have broken the majority of QB records by now. The plus for Stafford the past 2 seasons is that it was the first time he actually had a QB coach in his career something he should have had from the very beginning. What improve was his short game, he doesn't take the same risk in the red zone so we kind of sucked at that last season. What he needs is another Mega to throw that fade to in the corner of the end zone.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Stafford$$$

Post  BallinD Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Never really liked stafford until the last two seasons when he showed his "clutch" come from behind resolve and especially last season when it appeared he turned the corner with his ability to scramble a bit and seemed to have a fire in his belly that would not quit. He is durable, and in the NFL, that's saying a lot.

I'm now a fan and we all know where the Lions would be without him...

But he's got to become a red zone monster. That is the next level for him.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Only true if it's true all of the time...

Post  Oracle Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:06 pm

BallinD wrote:Two Things:

1. Funny thing, there is of course a Youtube Hype Video on Moreland.  What do we know? He runs the court hard, challenges all shots, can guard perimeter ball handlers effectively, and plays with a high motor.  He is long and lean and seems to have a high BBIQ.  That means squat, till he gets on an NBA court for our Pistons, I agree.

2. We have no way to gauge who is who and what is what till the camp opens, so suggestions are not really hype, just suggestions that maybe this or that should be CONSIDERED.  After all, a lot of pieces need to come together to make this team special and we don't yet know which ones, nor do we know what it will take to get that "Chemistry" cooking.  I'm really excited to see Moreland, Kennard and Ellensen on the floor.  They appear to play really hard and really smart.  Is that enough?  No, but we know SVG has admitted he is too conservative with his rotations, so there is that.  He tends to reject what he sees on the court if it does not fit his preconceived notions and often said his assistants had to really prod him to play other than his pet players.  When his pet players fail, he tends to double down and play them even more??!?  

A wise man once said:

"The mark of a mature mind is the ability to entertain an idea without accepting it."  Aristotle.
And it's not on this board by a long shot...
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Stafford

Post  Oracle Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:04 pm

The 4 things that the article had that were the most compelling reasons were,

1. Going nowhere without a franchise QB
2. You’d have to be crazy to let a franchise QB walk
3. Numbers are legit
4. Plays through the pain

These facts about Stafford screams Pay Him, even though he isn't worth it right now. I agree with Wise, QB is one of the positions, but not the only one where it's wise to pay forward.

BTW, this is coming from a HARD Stafford critic who he won over with last years performance.
WTF wrote:  
lemonpen wrote:I just wish he weren't ALWAYS being paid forward.  The top paid guy should have at least (a) one example on his resume of dragging his team across the finish line in the playoffs and (b) more winning performances against his contract contemporaries.

QB is probably the only position in all sports where paying forward makes any sense.  I would love to see Stafford single handedly caring a team to victory but its too many variables and factors involved.   IMO I think Stafford is a lot better than most of his contemporaries including those that hold Super bowl titles and say this because Stafford has not had the level of talent around him that other have had.  Give him a superior o-line and a decent run attack he may already have a Super Bowl under his belt.  

The 135 million may make some cringe because of the W/L but a QB is only as good as the rest of the team. IMO Stafford is Super Capable the rest of the team is not and that's on both sides of the field.  
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:51 pm

lemonpen wrote:I just wish he weren't ALWAYS being paid forward.  The top paid guy should have at least (a) one example on his resume of dragging his team across the finish line in the playoffs and (b) more winning performances against his contract contemporaries.

QB is probably the only position in all sports where paying forward makes any sense. I would love to see Stafford single handedly caring a team to victory but its too many variables and factors involved. IMO I think Stafford is a lot better than most of his contemporaries including those that hold Super bowl titles and say this because Stafford has not had the level of talent around him that other have had. Give him a superior o-line and a decent run attack he may already have a Super Bowl under his belt.

The 135 million may make some cringe because of the W/L but a QB is only as good as the rest of the team. IMO Stafford is Super Capable the rest of the team is not and that's on both sides of the field.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:47 pm

cool breeze wrote:Last night I watch an episode of "Open Court" featuring leaders from past NBA championship teams. Both Zeke and Mr. BigShot were involved and sat next to each other which was real cool. What struck me was the moment when Billups talked about his championship teammates and on the screen came a picture of Billups with Big Ben Wallace. He had that special look on his face much like the look Bill Russell had during his playing days. Do any of you recall the look Ben Wallace had when he took the court? It was all business. You could see the stress he felt knowing he was about to do battle. His expression is the exact opposite of Andre Drummond who always appears to have the look that he is attending a company picnic. He is relaxed and smiling. Andre is a naturally good natured individual. Somehow he cannot get himself pumped up into that zone you need to have to be a successful NBA basketball player. The owner overlooked this trait before signing him to that max contract. His team pays the heavy price because he is just not able to provide his team with what is most needed that being a shot blocking monster who can be a paint protector and rule the defensive glass. Instead AD became an expert getting offensive rebounds often going up and touching the ball three times in one possession. That is how AD gets thrills.

Now for the truth about Detroit's chances this coming season knowing that AD is still our franchise player and starting center. He has been in the league now for 5 years. That is a long period of time for a players to have not grown as a player. Here are the matchups he will face this coming season. Somehow AD has not had much success with many opposing centers in the NBA. He seems not able to learn anything from his mistakes and some centers in the weak eastern conference make a complete fool out of him. I single out Gortat as one of those centers. He has Andre's number like no other center in the NBA and how good is Gortat when he plays against other NBA centers? He is average in my opinion. I will not even mention Anthony Davis in the post. SVG should not play AD against Davis if he has any brains at all and it appears he doesn't because SVG allowed the massacre to go on in every matchup.

Washington vs Detroit = Gortat vs Drummond -
Who wins that battle? Can anyone guess?

Boston vs Detroit = Horeford, Baynes, Zeller vs Drummond, Boban, Moreland
Drummond cannot guard Horeford. Stevens likes this matchup so Horeford will play center when AD is in the game unless Leuer plays power forward. It will be interesting if Baynes plays against Drummond. Baynes knows all of AD's stupid habits. Zeller will beat AD in transition. Put Boban in the paint on offense and see if any of Boston's centers can block his shot.

Bucks vs Detroit = Thon Maker-Greg Monroe vs AD
If SVG has any brains AD will sit this one out. Makers can hit the 3 ball. Monroe always beats the hell out of Drummond in the paint with his variety of moves. Drummond looks like a lost puppy against Monroe.

Chicago Bulls vs Detroit = Robin Lopez vs AD
Lopez seems to have an easy time against AD in most games. AD should come off the bench against this team and might do well.

Atlanta Hawks vs Detroit
Dwayne Dedmon vs AD
AD should win this matchup if he doesn't exhaust himself with the pre game dancing routine. The Hawks on paper look like an easy out this season.

Miami Heat vs Detroit
Who doesn't remember the deciding game that took the Pistons out of the playoffs when Whiteside got that tip in over the back of AD. How humiliating that moment should have been but I wonder if AD felt anything after the game other than let's party and move on. Drummond has played some games against Whiteside pretty well and got the best of him but when the big game came around, he sure didn't have that look Ben Wallace had before tip off. Is this what SVG means about not being engaged?

New York Knicks vs Detroit
The knicks had an easy time beating the Pistons last season. Our players never seemed ready to play against them. And the leader of those AWOL players was our franchise player AD. But the Nets can beat Detroit when AD plays because they can use Kristaps Porzingis at the center position and hit that 3 ball or drive at will if AD tries to defend him. Kyle O'Quinn also had a lot of success against AD. Noah was injured. AD should sit a lot when the Pistons play the Brooklyn Nets.

Indiana vs Detroit = Al Jefferson vs AD
This is another disturbing matchup with the aging all Jefferson being able to bully AD at will. Jefferson can still beat him back in transition as well. In crunch time how can the coach trust AD in his matchup? Jefferson is just too smart. And the Pacers have a new addition in Ike Aniegbogu. The Pistons will need an athletic center to match up with this guy.

Philly vs Detroit = Joel Embid and Ikafor vs AD
I suspect AD will get his ass kicked if those players are healthy

Cleveland vs Detroit = Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson vs AD and Boban
If the Cavaliers use Love at center which they have done in the past, there is no way Drummond can be on the floor. Drummond vs Thompson is a fun matchup to watch. AD plays harder against Thompson but now Thompson has a lot of confidence and always brings something new to the table after his summer break and he has Labron to get him worked up before games.

Charlotte vs Detroit = Dwight Howard, Cody Zeller vs AD and Boban
Howard is not in his prime. Zeller is athletic and clever. This will be a draw perhaps or maybe AD can rule this combination.

Did I miss anyone? The devil is in the details. And the details from the past show that AD has not improved when playing against most of the centers in the Eastern conference. Can anyone explain why when he is the max alleged All Star? Just how did he make that All Star team?

You ask me why I hope Moreland can make the rotation this season? I have zero faith in either AD or Boban. AD has been a guy who fades very quickly after the month of November. That is his history. He loses interest or maybe his nose caused all of his problems. But I would be really concerned if I were SVG and his staff of coaches going into training camp. They of course have all this same information. It might be the owner who doesn't realize why AD needed to be traded when the Pistons had the chance.

My bad lumping the Nets and the Knicks together. The point is AD will have his hands full with both teams again. Who fears playing against Andre Drummond? I can't think of anyone.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Fans wonder why some of us hope Moreland can land a rotation spot. The answer is that we do not have any faith in the other two options AD or Boban

Post  cool breeze Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Last night I watch an episode of "Open Court" featuring leaders from past NBA championship teams. Both Zeke and Mr. BigShot were involved and sat next to each other which was real cool. What struck me was the moment when Billups talked about his championship teammates and on the screen came a picture of Billups with Big Ben Wallace. He had that special look on his face much like the look Bill Russell had during his playing days. Do any of you recall the look Ben Wallace had when he took the court? It was all business. You could see the stress he felt knowing he was about to do battle. His expression is the exact opposite of Andre Drummond who always appears to have the look that he is attending a company picnic. He is relaxed and smiling. Andre is a naturally good natured individual. Somehow he cannot get himself pumped up into that zone you need to have to be a successful NBA basketball player. The owner overlooked this trait before signing him to that max contract. His team pays the heavy price because he is just not able to provide his team with what is most needed that being a shot blocking monster who can be a paint protector and rule the defensive glass. Instead AD became an expert getting offensive rebounds often going up and touching the ball three times in one possession. That is how AD gets thrills.

Now for the truth about Detroit's chances this coming season knowing that AD is still our franchise player and starting center. He has been in the league now for 5 years. That is a long period of time for a players to have not grown as a player. Here are the matchups he will face this coming season. Somehow AD has not had much success with many opposing centers in the NBA. He seems not able to learn anything from his mistakes and some centers in the weak eastern conference make a complete fool out of him. I single out Gortat as one of those centers. He has Andre's number like no other center in the NBA and how good is Gortat when he plays against other NBA centers? He is average in my opinion. I will not even mention Anthony Davis in the post. SVG should not play AD against Davis if he has any brains at all and it appears he doesn't because SVG allowed the massacre to go on in every matchup.

Washington vs Detroit = Gortat vs Drummond -
Who wins that battle? Can anyone guess?

Boston vs Detroit = Horeford, Baynes, Zeller vs Drummond, Boban, Moreland
Drummond cannot guard Horeford. Stevens likes this matchup so Horeford will play center when AD is in the game unless Leuer plays power forward. It will be interesting if Baynes plays against Drummond. Baynes knows all of AD's stupid habits. Zeller will beat AD in transition. Put Boban in the paint on offense and see if any of Boston's centers can block his shot.

Bucks vs Detroit = Thon Maker-Greg Monroe vs AD
If SVG has any brains AD will sit this one out. Makers can hit the 3 ball. Monroe always beats the hell out of Drummond in the paint with his variety of moves. Drummond looks like a lost puppy against Monroe.

Chicago Bulls vs Detroit = Robin Lopez vs AD
Lopez seems to have an easy time against AD in most games. AD should come off the bench against this team and might do well.

Atlanta Hawks vs Detroit
Dwayne Dedmon vs AD
AD should win this matchup if he doesn't exhaust himself with the pre game dancing routine. The Hawks on paper look like an easy out this season.

Miami Heat vs Detroit
Who doesn't remember the deciding game that took the Pistons out of the playoffs when Whiteside got that tip in over the back of AD. How humiliating that moment should have been but I wonder if AD felt anything after the game other than let's party and move on. Drummond has played some games against Whiteside pretty well and got the best of him but when the big game came around, he sure didn't have that look Ben Wallace had before tip off. Is this what SVG means about not being engaged?

New York Knicks vs Detroit
The knicks had an easy time beating the Pistons last season. Our players never seemed ready to play against them. And the leader of those AWOL players was our franchise player AD. But the Nets can beat Detroit when AD plays because they can use Kristaps Porzingis at the center position and hit that 3 ball or drive at will if AD tries to defend him. Kyle O'Quinn also had a lot of success against AD. Noah was injured. AD should sit a lot when the Pistons play the Brooklyn Nets.

Indiana vs Detroit = Al Jefferson vs AD
This is another disturbing matchup with the aging all Jefferson being able to bully AD at will. Jefferson can still beat him back in transition as well. In crunch time how can the coach trust AD in his matchup? Jefferson is just too smart. And the Pacers have a new addition in Ike Aniegbogu. The Pistons will need an athletic center to match up with this guy.

Philly vs Detroit = Joel Embid and Ikafor vs AD
I suspect AD will get his ass kicked if those players are healthy

Cleveland vs Detroit = Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson vs AD and Boban
If the Cavaliers use Love at center which they have done in the past, there is no way Drummond can be on the floor. Drummond vs Thompson is a fun matchup to watch. AD plays harder against Thompson but now Thompson has a lot of confidence and always brings something new to the table after his summer break and he has Labron to get him worked up before games.

Charlotte vs Detroit = Dwight Howard, Cody Zeller vs AD and Boban
Howard is not in his prime. Zeller is athletic and clever. This will be a draw perhaps or maybe AD can rule this combination.

Did I miss anyone? The devil is in the details. And the details from the past show that AD has not improved when playing against most of the centers in the Eastern conference. Can anyone explain why when he is the max alleged All Star? Just how did he make that All Star team?

You ask me why I hope Moreland can make the rotation this season? I have zero faith in either AD or Boban. AD has been a guy who fades very quickly after the month of November. That is his history. He loses interest or maybe his nose caused all of his problems. But I would be really concerned if I were SVG and his staff of coaches going into training camp. They of course have all this same information. It might be the owner who doesn't realize why AD needed to be traded when the Pistons had the chance.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Give Me Time I'm Gather Information On Moreland

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:36 pm

I okay I reading a lot of good things and he did had a pleasant SL this year and I'm hoping he makes the cut because I like players that hustle and out to prove they belong. For all we know he could be a Big Ben waiting to happen and if that's the case I would be trying to unload Andre like ASAP for whatever I can get.

I'm still reading his press clippings, seeing what news is but I'll will say this there is no way in hell would he and Andre would ever be in a game together shooting 38% at the FT line.

More later as I continue my research tb
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Hype Train

Post  BallinD Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Two Things:

1. Funny thing, there is of course a Youtube Hype Video on Moreland. What do we know? He runs the court hard, challenges all shots, can guard perimeter ball handlers effectively, and plays with a high motor. He is long and lean and seems to have a high BBIQ. That means squat, till he gets on an NBA court for our Pistons, I agree.

2. We have no way to gauge who is who and what is what till the camp opens, so suggestions are not really hype, just suggestions that maybe this or that should be CONSIDERED. After all, a lot of pieces need to come together to make this team special and we don't yet know which ones, nor do we know what it will take to get that "Chemistry" cooking. I'm really excited to see Moreland, Kennard and Ellensen on the floor. They appear to play really hard and really smart. Is that enough? No, but we know SVG has admitted he is too conservative with his rotations, so there is that. He tends to reject what he sees on the court if it does not fit his preconceived notions and often said his assistants had to really prod him to play other than his pet players. When his pet players fail, he tends to double down and play them even more??!?

A wise man once said:

"The mark of a mature mind is the ability to entertain an idea without accepting it." Aristotle.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  lemonpen Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:02 pm

WTF wrote:If Andre can get 125 Million and people are okay with that then Stafford getting one 135 Million shouldn't be an issue for anyone.  Truth be told Stafford is more deserving of his contract.  
That's tough to argue.  Unless you believe two wrongs don't make a right.

Besides Stafford being the highest paid won't last that long you can almost secure it in the bank that the next deal a player get will be bigger or roughly the same.  Well Stafford W/L doesn't say pay him that much his stats certainly does.  
I just wish he weren't ALWAYS being paid forward.  The top paid guy should have at least (a) one example on his resume of dragging his team across the finish line in the playoffs and (b) more winning performances against his contract contemporaries.

Astros acquire Justin Verlander from Tigers in blockbuster trade, Hate to see him traded you always want players like Verlander to retire as Tiger but if his presents Verlander an opportunity to close out his career winning then I'm happy for him.    
Naw, some guys deserve to retire with the team that drafted um.  Now we get to sit and wait for a bunch of Boyd's and Norris's to figure it out.

Ballin I hate coaches that plays 11-12 deep into their roster because more times than not it's an indication the coach doesn't know what he's doing.  I believe or I'm of the mindset that 10 should be your limit but prefer seeing a coach only rotate 9 players.  Too many pieces can often leads to over thinking and poor game management.   My idea is to rotate only 3 guards during a game,  then have only 1 back up for each remaining positions and that's my 9 guys that I'm going to consistently play during a game.  10 becomes my max in case of injury and resting my big men.  

You do this because it develops chemistry,  everyone identifies with their roles, and it becomes routine.  The one thing that players hate is not having a routine and consistent minutes.  If SVG struggles with what 5 to start and how he should play/use them then he certainly can't do with 12 players.

IJS: Boston was in a rebuild year the same time the Pistons were SMH.  I went back to Joe's last season running this team 2013-14 and that season the Pistons finished 4 games better than the Celtics. Fast forward from there to last season and the Celtics lead the conference in wins and playing the Cavs ECF and the Pistons fail to make the playoffs.  

IJS: Knight, Moose, KCP all lottery picks gone,  other picks Kyle Singler, Jonas Jebreko, Spencer Dinwiddie, all gone   FA since 2013, Josh Smith, Jennings, Jodie Meeks, Marcus Morris, all gone.  Depending on how this season plays out gone will be Harris and Bradley.  SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH OUR TEAM.  

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Oracle

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Oracle wrote:
WTF wrote:Okay questions to forum because I'm not all that familiar with Moreland other than he's 2 years in on his NBA career and has literally no stats that I can even begin to gauge him with.  

I know he was injured and spent the bulk of his 2 years in the DL so why all the hype about him.  I know the 80 reasons I love this Kennard kid but I don't have a clue as to why this guy needs to be starting.  
What I saw from Kennard was so good, a little hyping isn't that big a crime. I just hate it because we've done it to almost every rookie and they then have a hard time living up to the inflated expectations(Stuckey, Moose, Knight,, etc.).

Moreland indeed looked good in summer league, but the bigs and other players are radically different in the NBA, I'll need to see more to come to even the conclusion that he belongs in the NBA.

We're hearing a lot of Homer thinking on the board right now, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, but we're all a bit higher on these unproven Pistons than the basketball world at large.

Kennard is probably the only rookie we drafted in a long time. If you recall I was forever on Knight's case, no secret how I felt about Moose, and I never thought Andre should be anyone's starter. I never loved or hated the KCP pick but we all know who I wanted us to draft and wish we had him now. It's kind of easy to hype Kennard because he actually has all the thing many of our previous picks didn't have. Things like mechanics, form, poise, small things that we're still waiting on players like SJ to develop hell even Andre.

It just a **** load of many small intangibles with Kennard that we see upfront and our only questions really is doesn't it translate over to the pro level and will SVG fu@k it up.

Moreland is a complete unknown I gather that he touted about having good defense and being an energy guy, but it doesn't seem to be much after that that say's he'll start. I agree on the Homer part with some which is why I asked the question as to what is it I'm missing with Moreland because spent 2 seasons in DL. His Oregon stats are pedestrian that seem to lean towards him being an effective defender but I don't he's as polished as Ellensen at this point either. I'm not excluding him from the possibility of being a rotational player but he wouldn't be starting over Ellensen or Leuer at this point.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Probably shouldn't hype either, but...

Post  Oracle Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm

WTF wrote:Okay questions to forum because I'm not all that familiar with Moreland other than he's 2 years in on his NBA career and has literally no stats that I can even begin to gauge him with.  

I know he was injured and spent the bulk of his 2 years in the DL so why all the hype about him.  I know the 80 reasons I love this Kennard kid but I don't have a clue as to why this guy needs to be starting.  
What I saw from Kennard was so good, a little hyping isn't that big a crime. I just hate it because we've done it to almost every rookie and they then have a hard time living up to the inflated expectations(Stuckey, Moose, Knight,, etc.).

Moreland indeed looked good in summer league, but the bigs and other players are radically different in the NBA, I'll need to see more to come to even the conclusion that he belongs in the NBA.

We're hearing a lot of Homer thinking on the board right now, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, but we're all a bit higher on these unproven Pistons than the basketball world at large.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Why Would I Hype Kennard and Not Moreland

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

Okay questions to forum because I'm not all that familiar with Moreland other than he's 2 years in on his NBA career and has literally no stats that I can even begin to gauge him with.

I know he was injured and spent the bulk of his 2 years in the DL so why all the hype about him. I know the 80 reasons I love this Kennard kid but I don't have a clue as to why this guy needs to be starting.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Baseball, Basketball, Football,

Post  WTF Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am

If Andre can get 125 Million and people are okay with that then Stafford getting one 135 Million shouldn't be an issue for anyone. Truth be told Stafford is more deserving of his contract.

Besides Stafford being the highest paid won't last that long you can almost secure it in the bank that the next deal a player get will be bigger or roughly the same. Well Stafford W/L doesn't say pay him that much his stats certainly does.

Astros acquire Justin Verlander from Tigers in blockbuster trade, Hate to see him traded you always want players like Verlander to retire as Tiger but if his presents Verlander an opportunity to close out his career winning then I'm happy for him.

Ballin I hate coaches that plays 11-12 deep into their roster because more times than not it's an indication the coach doesn't know what he's doing. I believe or I'm of the mindset that 10 should be your limit but prefer seeing a coach only rotate 9 players. Too many pieces can often leads to over thinking and poor game management. My idea is to rotate only 3 guards during a game, then have only 1 back up for each remaining positions and that's my 9 guys that I'm going to consistently play during a game. 10 becomes my max in case of injury and resting my big men.

You do this because it develops chemistry, everyone identifies with their roles, and it becomes routine. The one thing that players hate is not having a routine and consistent minutes. If SVG struggles with what 5 to start and how he should play/use them then he certainly can't do with 12 players.

IJS: Boston was in a rebuild year the same time the Pistons were SMH. I went back to Joe's last season running this team 2013-14 and that season the Pistons finished 4 games better than the Celtics. Fast forward from there to last season and the Celtics lead the conference in wins and playing the Cavs ECF and the Pistons fail to make the playoffs.

IJS: Knight, Moose, KCP all lottery picks gone, other picks Kyle Singler, Jonas Jebreko, Spencer Dinwiddie, all gone FA since 2013, Josh Smith, Jennings, Jodie Meeks, Marcus Morris, all gone. Depending on how this season plays out gone will be Harris and Bradley. SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH OUR TEAM.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 am

BallinD wrote:
deusXango wrote:
BallinD, all are thought provoking and worthy of consideration...may I piggy back on your thoughts?  Always welcome to!

Balance: Drummond, Moreland, Harris, Kennard, Bradley. Moreland and Kennard are ready for prime time; Kennard is the perfect perimeter shooter to play with Harris and Bradley...Moreland is the rim protecting, shot blocking, P & R defender, that will pair well with the NBA's #1 rebounder.Winning cures a whole lot of ills and doubt is the deadliest ill a fan can have! Your positive out-the-box thinking is truly refreshing and a change of pace from the negative grumps (I include myself in that number).Good stuff BallinD.

DX: I too thought about putting Moreland with Dre, but I second-guessed myself, saying we could not survive with two-non-shooters in the lineup, but who is to say Moreland can't shoot a decent mid-range J?  And when you have Tobias, Kennard and Bradley, you have plenty of shooting, so there is that.  I like the "Balance" lineup and hope SVG is serious about expanding his rotation.  I really wanna see what Moreland, and Ellensen can do.  And of course, I'll be pissed if he even thinks about sending Kennard up to GR.  Is it okay to booo the coach?

BTW, Brad Stevens, one of the best coaching minds in the NBA routinely plays 11-12 deep for the Celtics, so What's Up SVG?!?!

Stevens made a point to tell Celtic fans why he plays his entire roster. Team chemistry moves up big time when a coach uses his entire roster. And Boston managed to have the best record in the East last season with limited talent. It takes an extremely smart coach to figure out how to do what Stevens managed to implement. College or the pros, I do not believe there is any coach in the NBA who has the skill of Brad Stevens. He relates to players extremely well and his strategy is flawless. Meanwhile SVG and his staff never made changes needed last season and refused to give up on players who were ineffective on both ends and gave less than an honest effort. We talk about certain players like RJ and AD having the brains to make changes in their games but how can we expect SVG to figure out how to use his roster effectively????

Somehow the media which is provided with story lines from Piston management are pushing the idea that Leuer will be playing a lot at the center position. If SVG is thinking that way, it must mean that he was AWOL for the last half of last season. Leuer was pushed around and embarrassed by power forwards. His upper body was about as strong as Pee Wee Herman. Now he is a center because SVG is shaking in his shoes worrying that Boban will be a complete flop. The signings of Boban and Leuer were crazy. The amount of cash spent was stupid. But it seems Piston management will still try to prove the experts wrong and play them even if they might struggle in the G-League.

Meanwhile I love the idea that I sure didn't think of relating to playing Andre and Eric Moreland together. That is the most logical idea I have read recently. Moreland is quick to recognize what the opposing offense is attempting to accomplish in the paint. He has the quick recognition skill set that Drummond could only dream of having. Moreland is a talker and that is important because he could guide AD on defense so Andre might not screw up the rotation system. Moreland is much stronger than anyone other than AD and he is quicker than any of our big men. Moreland has been on the outside looking in for too long. This might be one of the best signings SVG has had if he is rewarded with minutes. Boban flat out cannot run the court fast enough to play against most NBA teams unless he has a teammate playing power forward with size and quickness. If Boban plays, who will get their ass back quick enough to avoid giving up easy layups? That guy might be Moreland too. Boban and Moreland could be a good combination and maybe much better than Drummond-Moreland. Who is the better offensive threat Boban or Drummond? That is easy Boban can score the ball in the paint in many ways. And he can shoot free throws. So of the big men who should be coming off the bench when the regular season begins? Yes you guessed it, Andre Drummond is that man. He is not good enough to be considered a starter based on his play last season. AD needs to earn his minutes this time around even though he might have that stupid contract and is the pet of the owner. Still there is media buzz saying that Bradley and Drummond will lead the Pistons back to the playoffs. If the team counts on Drummond playing defense this season, they will be greatly disappointed. You can't change overnight. Drummond needs to learn the hard way by being forced to earn his minutes. If he shows signs of slacking again, SVG should be fired if he doesn't respond by sitting AD on the pine.

Let the new era begin. The head coach cannot act like an idiot this season play losers while ignoring all the details of what is actually going on in the games. I question how good SVG's assistant coaches are as well because if they did watch what happened last season, they never challenged the head coach to do the right thing. SVG should have not only sat RJ but after Drummond allowed Whiteside to get that tip in directly over the back of AD because AD failed to box out, it should have been AD sitting right next to RJ in street clothes. But the coach did nothing but say he wished his center would be more engaged.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty Why the Lions Just Massively Overpaid Matthew Stafford

Post  Oracle Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:39 pm

This is a good article on why it was worth it to pay Stafford... I agree!

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/why-the-lions-just-massively-overpaid-matthew-stafford.html/?a=viewall wrote:
FORUM - Page 8 Matthew-Stafford-Leon-Halip-Getty-Images
Matthew Stafford is a rich man. | Leon Halip/Getty Images
In a world where athletes get paid unreal amounts of money to entertain the masses, you’d think we’d be immune to lofty paydays. As it turns out, the exact opposite tends to happen, which is why the latest contract extension the Detroit Lions gave quarterback Matthew Stafford blows us away.

Thanks to a new five-year, $135 contract extension, with $92 million in guarantees, the Lions signal caller is now officially the highest-paid player in NFL history. Stafford’s deal includes a $50 million signing bonus, $60.5 million guaranteed at signing, and a whopping $27 million average annual salary. Once again, it most certainly pays to be the quarterback.

We’re sure we know what many of you are thinking: There’s no way Stafford deserves this deal. However, if we’re completely honest, we think the contract is justified. Here’s why.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 8 Empty DX Balancing Act

Post  BallinD Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 pm

deusXango wrote:
BallinD, all are thought provoking and worthy of consideration...may I piggy back on your thoughts?  Always welcome to!

Balance: Drummond, Moreland, Harris, Kennard, Bradley. Moreland and Kennard are ready for prime time; Kennard is the perfect perimeter shooter to play with Harris and Bradley...Moreland is the rim protecting, shot blocking, P & R defender, that will pair well with the NBA's #1 rebounder.Winning cures a whole lot of ills and doubt is the deadliest ill a fan can have! Your positive out-the-box thinking is truly refreshing and a change of pace from the negative grumps (I include myself in that number).Good stuff BallinD.

DX: I too thought about putting Moreland with Dre, but I second-guessed myself, saying we could not survive with two-non-shooters in the lineup, but who is to say Moreland can't shoot a decent mid-range J?  And when you have Tobias, Kennard and Bradley, you have plenty of shooting, so there is that.  I like the "Balance" lineup and hope SVG is serious about expanding his rotation. I really wanna see what Moreland, and Ellensen can do. And of course, I'll be pissed if he even thinks about sending Kennard up to GR. Is it okay to booo the coach?

BTW, Brad Stevens, one of the best coaching minds in the NBA routinely plays 11-12 deep for the Celtics, so What's Up SVG?!?!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next