Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+16
Sissy1946
Rett
Murph
Sparma
Fennis Dembo
Linwood
g-man
Oracle
WTF
FlyDog
frankied
Sebastian
merc
cool breeze
deusXango
Grizz
20 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM Empty FORUM

Post  phil1980 Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:54 am

OO.. Man. Here we go with the Wednesday afternoon Quarterbacking. Come on Grizz.

Now we about to jump back in A time machine and say how Joe should have taken D.Blair instead of Austin day or this guy or that guy.

OMG! This is what the pistons should have did. Jump back into Doc Brown's time machine and lost 7 more games and made A trade with the Kansas City Royals, then jump back into the time machine and took A ride to Chicago to meet Kevin Garnett mom before her and his father made him and told her to demand A trade to the Detroit Pistons in the year 1997. Then jump back in the time machine and went to the year 1955 and told Biff to change his name to Phil1980boy.

Come on man. 4 years after the fact criticism is just flat out crying in anybody's book!

phil1980

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Phil .. I see your point about 2nd guessing ..

Post  Grizz Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:09 am

phil1980 wrote:OO.. Man. Here we go with the Wednesday afternoon Quarterbacking. Come on Grizz.

Now we about to jump back in A time machine and say how Joe should have taken D.Blair instead of Austin day or this guy or that guy.

OMG! This is what the pistons should have did. Jump back into Doc Brown's time machine and lost 7 more games and made A trade with the Kansas City Royals, then jump back into the time machine and took A ride to Chicago to meet Kevin Garnett mom before her and his father made him and told her to demand A trade to the Detroit Pistons in the year 1997. Then jump back in the time machine and went to the year 1955 and told Biff to change his name to Phil1980boy.

Come on man. 4 years after the fact criticism is just flat out crying in anybody's book!

But . here is the deal .. We did not need any more SGs or SFs at that point in time and we still need Bigs and another PG on the team because the GM has not been willing to look reality in the face ... I mean .. at least if you draft someone the team has a chance of developing a player at a position that will help the team very much .. .. If you dont draft a player who can help the team, the pick has been thrown away, and the team goes kaput as we lose games because dont have a full team even now .. And we are not talking about a shallow need for a PG or BIG then or now .. badly needed one then .. badly need such positions now .. Instead Dumars just pretends the position isnt needed and has caused players to play out of position .. hurts the player .. hurts the team .. As long as the team is missing those positions, and it still is.. .. gonna point it out .. because those dumb decisions still haunt this team .. Are you also excited about having 30 year old DL players on the team in Wilkens and Russell? What does that tell you about roster planning for a team supposed to be rebuilding?? Shocked .. So very wack ..

BTW, great to see you back Phillip! ... This site needs your point of view .. Keep ravers like me in control ..

Last edited by Grizz on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty NO All Stars this year but a damn good tribtue to the greatest Piston All Star ever ..

Post  Grizz Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:13 am

Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty NO All Stars this year but a damn good tribtue to the greatest Piston All Star ever ..

Post  deusXango Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks Grizz, I really appreciated seeing that "look back." There really was and has not been anyone quite like "the Captain." A perennial All-Star!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Drafting the best player available or need? What to do?

Post  cool breeze Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 pm

It is very difficult to predict how big men will fit or perform when it gets down to playing in the NBA. In some drafts it is obvious that there are guys who can't miss. I am not sure that is the case in this draft. I really do not see many bigs who can step in right away and impact a team like the Pistons. This Detroit team has two potential All Stars in Monroe and Knight and they got on the team through the draft. My thought is to try to move some current players before the trade deadline. Maxiell is now a starter so maybe some team would take him in return for a 2nd round pick. We all want Dumars to work a trade involving Gordon and Charlie but their reputations have become so damaged that it appears they cannot be moved at all. How about Daye? Would some West coast team want Daye? If Detroit could pick up a total of 4 mixed first and second round picks and take one guard and three bigs, maybe we could get lucky and obtain at least one or two keepers.

I would advise Joe Dumars to invite one player who is under the radar to training camp. His name is Kyle Fogg. Kyle was not highly recruited and has played for several coaching staffs at Arizona. He is a senior and is the hardest worker that I have ever watched. He is 6 foot 3 inches tall and has really long arms. He is the best player on an average Arizona team this year. All of this teammates admire him. He shot 50,000 jump shots over the summer and now has a really quick release and shoots well from beyond the 3 point line. However, his value to the Pistons would be his defensive ability. I believe that he is the best defensive player in the PAC12. He always guards the opposition's best player. Fogg has become a complete player and rebounds well against 7 footers. Last night, he got 11 rebounds. This guys is really quick and would be a defensive stopper the Pistons need at very little cost. Kyle was known as the best defensive player on that team that lost on the last possession to UCONN in the Elite 8 game last year. He was injured in that game and was only around 50% but played.

Another PAC 12 player who most likely will excel in the NBA is Terrence Ross. He might be a first rounder and plays for Washington. Watch him in the tournament coming soon. I did not watch any big man in the PAC 12 this season that would improve this Piston team. And watching the Big 10 a lot, I have no faith that Sullinger from Ohio State will make much of an impact. Anyone have any ideas on which big the Pistons might want to select? Murph had it down with Monroe when I thought he would be a slacker. Second rounders might perform better than some of the projected first rounders in this draft. Please Joe Dumars just don't draft any 6 foot 8 inch power forwards.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

deusXango wrote:Thanks Grizz, I really appreciated seeing that "look back." There really was and has not been anyone quite like "the Captain." A perennial All-Star!

WOW! I forgot about Zeke's tip in which was shown at the end of that video. Great stuff!! I hope that Brandon Knight watches this video.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Trade Deadline

Post  merc Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Does Joe go for three years without a deal?... the last trade was Afflalo & Sharpe for a 2nd.
Our tradable assets are slim pickins'... Tay, Stuckey, picks, Daye JJ, Bynum.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tay moved for a low 1st and a crap player with a shorter contract.
IMO if Joe does make any moves it will just be to reduce long term salary.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Marvin Williams?

Post  Sebastian Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Personally, I have never been a big Marvin Williams fan. But, maybe, just maybe, it may be worth considering moving Tay, on March 1 or soon thereafter, to the Hawks straight-up for Marvin Williams.

Williams has been reported as to wanting out of Atlanta. He has stated that - he would like to have more of an offensive role. Now, to date Williams' best season was during the '07-'08 season, when he played 80 games, averaged 14.8 pts/5.7 rbg.

I think that the guy may be able to reproduce similar numbers. He's still young (25 years old, three months younger than Stuckey). He's a legit 6'9", 245 lbs., very similar to LeBron's measurable, 6'8", 250 lbs. Now, I'm not saying that he is better or as good as, LeBron, but he is bigger and younger than Tay. Also, Williams is a Seattle, Washington product who could possibly jell with Stuckey, a fellow Seattle homey.

Williams has two full seasons remaining on his contract and surely will be playing for a new contract, as he is currently in the prime of his career. Williams is a full 6 years younger than Tay.

I say get the Hawks folks on the phone and see if they are willing to swap Williams for Tay.

If the Hawks are so inclined to participate in the aforementioned transaction, then I would move the 2012 #1 Pick for DeMarcus Cousins. The Kings maybe very interested in OUR lottery pick for Cousins. And, Cousins would be a known NBA quantity. The guy has gotten much better since Keith Smart has become the head coach in Sacramento. Cousins' game has gotten much better, primarily because his body appears to be in better condition and his overall game has improved as a result.

WE would be getting a guy, who is young, mean, and wants to be in Detroit. He and Moose could become an intimidating force in the League.

I would also, make another subtle move involving the draft rights to Kyle Singler. I would move Singler's rights to Houston and Austin Daye for Hasheem Thabeet.

In my opinion, it is not a good idea for OUR Pistons to casually go through the remaining weeks of the season piling up L's and positioning OURselves for a "hopeful" lottery pick, somewhere between picks 3 - 8. It will be much better that WE give the city and fans a more tangible reason to be hopeful going forward, where WE are following an upward trend, closing this season out stronger and thus entering the following season with great promise.

PG- Knight/Bynum
SG/PG- Stuckey/Ben G.
SF- Marvin Williams/Jerebko
PF/C- Moose/Maxey
PF/C- Cousins/Thabeet

- Ben G. can concentrate on bringing the heat from the bench, as OUR hired 6th man.
- Jerebko could provide the energy from the bench at the SF position.
- Moose and Cousins can take turns destroying opposing front lines in the paint. And, if you haven't notice both guys can play very effectively 15 feet away from the basket. And, they both stay on the free throw line. In fact, WE could probably be one of the League leaders in free throw attempts (Moose, Cousins, and Stuckey.)
- Thabeet could come in to relieve either Moose or Cousins, while allowing either of the latter to play the PF position. Thabeet is a young 25, who has time to still prove to be a serviceable defensive, back-up Center in this League.

I would amnesty Charlie V.'s ass over the summer, leaving US with a good little piece of money to add another piece to OUR roster.

Yes, a subtle move involving a swap of Tay for Marvin Williams would be the move that could get OUR squad back on the NBA map.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm

[quote="Sebastian"]Personally, I have never been a big Marvin Williams fan. But, maybe, just maybe, it may be worth considering moving Tay, on March 1 or soon thereafter, to the Hawks straight-up for Marvin Williams.

Williams has been reported as to wanting out of Atlanta. He has stated that - he would like to have more of an offensive role. Now, to date Williams' best season was during the '07-'08 season, when he played 80 games, averaged 14.8 pts/5.7 rbg.

I think that the guy may be able to reproduce similar numbers. He's still young (25 years old, three months younger than Stuckey). He's a legit 6'9", 245 lbs., very similar to LeBron's measurable, 6'8", 250 lbs. Now, I'm not saying that he is better or as good as, LeBron, but he is bigger and younger than Tay. Also, Williams is a Seattle, Washington product who could possibly jell with Stuckey, a fellow Seattle homey.

Williams has two full seasons remaining on his contract and surely will be playing for a new contract, as he is currently in the prime of his career. Williams is a full 6 years younger than Tay.

I say get the Hawks folks on the phone and see if they are willing to swap Williams for Tay.

If the Hawks are so inclined to participate in the aforementioned transaction, then I would move the 2012 #1 Pick for DeMarcus Cousins. The Kings maybe very interested in OUR lottery pick for Cousins. And, Cousins would be a known NBA quantity. The guy has gotten much better since Keith Smart has become the head coach in Sacramento. Cousins' game has gotten much better, primarily because his body appears to be in better condition and his overall game has improved as a result.

WE would be getting a guy, who is young, mean, and wants to be in Detroit. He and Moose could become an intimidating force in the League.

I would also, make another subtle move involving the draft rights to Kyle Singler. I would move Singler's rights to Houston and Austin Daye for Hasheem Thabeet.

In my opinion, it is not a good idea for OUR Pistons to casually go through the remaining weeks of the season piling up L's and positioning OURselves for a "hopeful" lottery pick, somewhere between picks 3 - 8. It will be much better that WE give the city and fans a more tangible reason to be hopeful going forward, where WE are following an upward trend, closing this season out stronger and thus entering the following season with great promise.

PG- Knight/Bynum
SG/PG- Stuckey/Ben G.
SF- Marvin Williams/Jerebko
PF/C- Moose/Maxey
PF/C- Cousins/Thabeet

- Ben G. can concentrate on bringing the heat from the bench, as OUR hired 6th man.
- Jerebko could provide the energy from the bench at the SF position.
- Moose and Cousins can take turns destroying opposing front lines in the paint. And, if you haven't notice both guys can play very effectively 15 feet away from the basket. And, they both stay on the free throw line. In fact, WE could probably be one of the League leaders in free throw attempts (Moose, Cousins, and Stuckey.)
- Thabeet could come in to relieve either Moose or Cousins, while allowing either of the latter to play the PF position. Thabeet is a young 25, who has time to still prove to be a serviceable defensive, back-up Center in this League.

I would amnesty Charlie V.'s ass over the summer, leaving US with a good little piece of money to add another piece to OUR roster.

You have some great ideas Sebastian. I thought that Williams would have improved at lot more than he has but he has a lot of potential. We have to get rid of Charlie V some way and it appears the only way to do that is the way that you have suggested. As for Cousins, it is very doubtful that the Kings will part with this guy who most likely can become the best center in the league. Detroit would be deadly if Dumars could pull off a trade. I do not believe our number #1 pick would be enough. Cousins is far superior to any big man in the draft. He wants to play in Detroit. He likes Brandon Knight and Monroe. I hear that everyone in the league wants Bynum. Maybe Joe can throw in one of his prize players to complete that trade. Let's see, will the Kings sit Isiah Thomas and Jimmer Fredette to make room for Bynum? Maybe we can get one of their guards as well. Dumars has screwed the chances of improving the Pistons with his bonehead moves to the point where we have very few assets and that is why nobody is returning Joe's calls. Watch out, Joe might trade Brandon Knight for a second round pick in 2017.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Sheed

Post  merc Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Is joining the Lakers... can't wait til Kobe shuts his mouf.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty trades?

Post  frankied Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:35 pm

i doubt that joe will do anything.
another wasted year.
the players with the most value, who might actually bring something in return, he won't trade: monroe, knight, stuckey and jj.
tay has value, probably more than most people think. i'm certain he could get a mid-first round choice for him. but i doubt that joe will ever trade tay. if he was ever going to do it, it would have been last year, when he was an expiring contract. tay will never have as much value as he had at that point, and joe did not trade him. he's not about to do it now.
maxiell might be the player with the most value, who joe might be willing to trade. if joe was smart, he would trade max now...he's starting, playing well, and in shape. i doubt that he will maintain this level of play all year, and definitely not into next season. so i'd trade him. unfortunately, joe doesn't really have anyone to slide into max's spot - one result of not playing macklin in order to see if he could play that role, or at least back up ben w. for 15-20 minutes per - so it would be a huge risk to trade max. also, joe has never, ever made this type of trade: moved a guy when he was at the top of his game.
no one else has any real value...
daye's value is very low. a team might want to steal him for a second rounder, but no one will give full value for him. bynum might have some value, but guys like him can be found in the d-league for much cheaper. his value has also declined because of not playing regularly.
the rest of the roster - BG, CV, russell and macklin - are about as untradeable as nba players get, for a variety of reasons.
so unless joe has a fire sale - which is always possible! - i'd be shocked to see any deals.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty describes howard perfectly...

Post  frankied Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:38 pm

came across this article on "breaking ankles" and it describes how i feel about howard perfectly.
the entire post is worth reading as he describes all stars he describes as one dimensional. howard is in a category of his own, as he is always given much more credit for his offense than he deserves.

"The Elephant In The Room
Dwight Howard
Dwight Howard isn’t uncoordinated like those other centers, but we hold him to a higher standard. (He received more fan votes to the All-Star game than every other player in the league, and is currently the subject of daily trade rumors.) Here are a few numbers courtesy of Basketballvalue.com that to some degree help prove this point. When Howard is off the court, the Orlando Magic score 2.79 PPP fewer than when he’s playing. When Ryan Anderson is on the court as opposed to off it, the Magic score 20.59 more PPP. This is far from hard proof that Ryan Anderson is a better player than Dwight Howard, but it does support the theory that Anderson might be having a larger offensive impact.
Now, I realize Howard’s reverberations go far beyond what numbers are able to tell us, but watch him play and compare him to some of the truly great centers we’ve seen in the last 20 years. Howard’s offensive skill set is nowhere NEAR any of those guys. In exactly half of his games this season he’s scored less than 20 points, and just twice his scoring total has gone above 30. Can someone please explain to me how this is possible? To make a popular comparison, in 1998-99, the last lockout shortened season, Shaquille O’ Neal scored less than 20 points five times in 49 games. This is what dominant big men should do. We’re now in the eighth year of Dwight’s career. If he hasn’t learned any unstoppable low post moves by now, it’s time we stop referring to him as a singular dominant force on that end of the floor."

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty marvin williams and his dad...

Post  frankied Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 pm

i met marvin's dad, under some difficult circumstances about a decade ago.
marvin's dad was a legend - especially in his own mind - who was supposedly schooling young michael jordan back in the day, back in n. carolina.
funny, he's a short little sucker, maybe about 5'11", but he played college ball at a couple of places in the NW, and he apparently could play.
when i came across marvin's dad, he used to brag about his kid, bragging that he was probably going to get to the nba one day.
yea, right, i'd responded...
little did i know that he was not BSing.
not sure how much i'd be willing to give up for marvin, but he does have talent, and with the right deal, it might not be a bad thing to bring him onboard.
he's basically on the same kind of contract that CV is on. don't know why atlanta would do it, but if they ever would trade him straight up for CV, i'd do it in a minute, and maybe toss a couple of 2nd rounders in for good measure.
ahhh...one can only dream.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Cool Breeze

Post  FlyDog Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks for the props!

Looking forward to the rising stars game tonight. I have more interest in that than the Allstar game. Should be fun. GO TEAM SHAQ!
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Sheed

Post  WTF Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

merc wrote:Is joining the Lakers... can't wait til Kobe shuts his mouf.

Interesting hmmmmm.........can't hurt
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Sheed

Post  FlyDog Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 pm

I love it. Sheed will help them. I'll be rooting for the Lakers now (just couldn't root for the Celtics when they signed him). GO SHEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Greatest Piston All Star ever?

Post  Oracle Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Greatest little man ever is more like it!

Grizz wrote:
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty You Got It!

Post  Oracle Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:27 pm

FlyDog wrote:I love it. Sheed will help them. I'll be rooting for the Lakers now (just couldn't root for the Celtics when they signed him). GO SHEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too Fly, I never did warm up to Sheed in Boston, but I'll really be rooting for him in LA!

Now if only the Lakers could get rid of Artest!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  g-man Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 am

Oracle wrote:
FlyDog wrote:I love it. Sheed will help them. I'll be rooting for the Lakers now (just couldn't root for the Celtics when they signed him). GO SHEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too Fly, I never did warm up to Sheed in Boston, but I'll really be rooting for him in LA!

i love sheeds game circa 2004-2007, but hitching a ride on the lakers ring ride seems soft.
he hasn't played D in years, maybe they think they need a left handed sharpshooter who will endlessly hoist god shots from 35 feet outside the box. seems more like a pr stunt to me.
g-man
g-man

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty How about Greatest PG ever!

Post  Grizz Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:14 am

Oracle wrote:Greatest little man ever is more like it!

Grizz wrote:
Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:54 am

g-man wrote:
Oracle wrote:

i love sheeds game circa 2004-2007, but hitching a ride on the lakers ring ride seems soft.
he hasn't played D in years, maybe they think they need a left handed sharpshooter who will endlessly hoist god shots from 35 feet outside the box. seems more like a pr stunt to me.
Yeah, I'm with ya on this one G... even though sheed says he's in the best shape in 6 years it's not likely he finds the 04 fountain... he looked lazy and uninspired the last two years he played... not expecting much... but I'll have a front row seat for Sheed 2.0 eat
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Sheed

Post  Linwood Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:19 am

I can't really see Rasheed Wallace having much to offer at this point, but it's nice to have him back for half a season!
Linwood
Linwood

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Sheed

Post  FlyDog Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:24 am

Welcome, Linwood.

I don't know if it were laziness on Sheed's part, or serious foot problems that limited his Defensive range the last few years. My guess is, he'll provide a spark..........in more ways than one.

Last edited by FlyDog on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Need more coffee.)
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Rising Stars

Post  FlyDog Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 am

I thought the game sucked, and I will not be suckered into watching it again. Not competitive at all..........street ball game. Monroe looked like a dick at the end when he broke up the John Wall dunk contest. Don't know if I liked or disliked that move yet.
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Sheed

Post  WTF Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:11 am

FlyDog wrote:Welcome, Linwood.

I don't know if it were laziness on Sheed's part, or serious foot problems that limited his Defensive range the last few years. My guess is, he'll provide a spark..........in more ways than one.

Heck Sheed would be a upgrade over most bigs we currently have on our roster even at his age. I think injury played a bigger role in Sheeds decline in Boston and he was hugh in his last game played in Bostons. I don't see him having an issue in LA his minutes won't be over bearing with Gasol and Bynum still on LA's roster that he's not effective for them.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next