Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
lemonpen
BallinD
Murph
deusXango
cool breeze
Sparma
10 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM Empty Summer League v Thunder

Post  lemonpen Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 am

Yeah, just 1 game, but. My impressions are a bit more harsh.

Cade: I thought his overall game was better than the shooting numbers. He was an active and willing defender. Got a little dirty on the boards. His vision was as good as billed. The only pre-draft knock on his game (poor shooting efficiency inside the arc) reared its ugly head in spades in the form of lots of contested attempts. Patience may be a virtue, but he will have to incorporate some explosiveness.

Hayes: Ok, I'll play wait and see.

Cook: Rust, unfamiliarity with teammates, whatever the case, his future in the league may become in-doubt with another uber butter finger performance. Cade displayed the patience of Jobe by continuing to spoonfeed Tyler as the drops accumulated. TC had to have committed 6-8 of them. Isn't there a real center on the roster?

Bey: Not bad. His ball handling has improved. He's added a turnaround step back J. Still shoots pretty well. Still a tough defender.

Lee: For whatever reason I never noticed the pronounced hitch/hesitation at the top of his shot. Damn it's ugly. Still a tough defender.

Garza: Boy o boy, he is quite unathletic. We will see if hustle, craftiness and outside shooting results in net positive stints at this level.

Sekou: Despite the late burst of energy his overall performance left much to be desired. In terms of actual NBA experience Sekou isn't a kid anymore. I expect his fire / purpose / intent to be clearly evident each stint. But, he remains lax and loosey-goosey, easily manipulated without resistance. (dare I say soft) I doubt that will fly for much longer.

Coach What's His Name: You have some significant things to clean up. Turnovers. Getting pounded on the defensive glass. Open door policy to the hoop, via dribble penetration and back cuts.

-------

https://detroitsportstalk.forumotion.com/viewtopic.php?t=180
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty CC Height & Frank Jackson

Post  Sparma Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:27 am

Oracle, I'm thinking I found out about CC's shrinkage in the reaction to Sean Corp's August 6 DBB article "Breaking down how Cade Cunningham's game translates to the NBA." Within the article, Corps describes him as 6'8", but then the first reaction is "6'6" Point Guard???".

Frank Jackson back on a two year deal, terms undisclosed. Glad to hear it. He was an outstanding shooter last year. Health may be the biggest question mark for him.

Can't see Diallo getting a big pile of money now. Just as well. A skilled but selfish player. Still expect him back.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty To be honest...

Post  Oracle Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:48 am

@Murph: I would have been in favor of another pick, or some of the deals being offered if I knew he was 6'6! The difference is HUGE(IMO)!

@Sparma: BTW, do you have a link to the article that exposed his height?
Murph wrote:
Sparma wrote:Thanks for that update, Oracle.

Part of what seemed to rile up folks at DBB, with nearly a thousand comments for a summer game, is that Jalen Green did look like a stud straightaway in the earlier game.

One game is the smallest of sample sizes. I must admit, however, Cade seems more impressive at 6’8 than 6’6.  

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Re: FORUM

Post  Murph Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 am

Sparma wrote:Thanks for that update, Oracle.

Part of what seemed to rile up folks at DBB, with nearly a thousand comments for a summer game, is that Jalen Green did look like a stud straightaway in the earlier game.

One game is the smallest of sample sizes. I must admit, however, Cade seems more impressive at 6’8 than 6’6.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Summer game

Post  Sparma Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:08 am

Thanks for that update, Oracle.

Oracle wrote:I watched the game, and was totally unimpressed with Cade.

It's real early, but shooting under 30% isn't awe inspiring. I also didn't see him take over when the team needed it down the stretch.

However, there were other feel good stories.
1. Sekou had a real nice block in a help defense mode, pretty impressive.
2. Lee was Lee, the dude just delivers the energy and dedication
3. Luka Garza surprised me, he was very active, and while only 1 of 3 from deep, he showed he can hit that shot, and his shot looks good.
4. Bey was good in the 2nd half, he led the team in scoring.
5. Hayes looked good from an aggression standpoint. His numbers weren't that great, but he had lower turnovers and more assists than Cade.

Even though Cade wasn't that impressive, I did see some potential. His 3 point shot looks really good structurally, so I don't expect to see him miss so much.

Stephan A Smith said his only reservation about him was his aggression, and he thought that was a red flag. I discounted that, but I did notice a lack of aggression in this game, but I still don't believe it's going to be a pattern.

I learned from Derrick Rose not to judge too quickly, I thought Stuckey was a lot better early on, and once Rose adjusted to the pro game, the real talent became clear!

Cade has a long way to go, but the tools are there, so we need to stay patient.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Cade in Summer League

Post  Oracle Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:07 am

I watched the game, and was totally unimpressed with Cade.

It's real early, but shooting under 30% isn't awe inspiring. I also didn't see him take over when the team needed it down the stretch.

However, there were other feel good stories.
1. Sekou had a real nice block in a help defense mode, pretty impressive.
2. Lee was Lee, the dude just delivers the energy and dedication
3. Luka Garza surprised me, he was very active, and while only 1 of 3 from deep, he showed he can hit that shot, and his shot looks good.
4. Bey was good in the 2nd half, he led the team in scoring.
5. Hayes looked good from an aggression standpoint. His numbers weren't that great, but he had lower turnovers and more assists than Cade.

Even though Cade wasn't that impressive, I did see some potential. His 3 point shot looks really good structurally, so I don't expect to see him miss so much.

Stephan A Smith said his only reservation about him was his aggression, and he thought that was a red flag. I discounted that, but I did notice a lack of aggression in this game, but I still don't believe it's going to be a pattern.

I learned from Derrick Rose not to judge too quickly, I thought Stuckey was a lot better early on, and once Rose adjusted to the pro game, the real talent became clear!

Cade has a long way to go, but the tools are there, so we need to stay patient.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty The future

Post  Sparma Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:15 am

Thanks Murph.

I'm yet to become a Diallo fan, even though I see strengths, and think he'll be one of the scoring leaders if he resigns.
I cite that as a potential move that at least would take us into the heart of the Cade era.

Placeholders, yes, that's the word I was looking for: Olynyk, Lyles, Joseph.

McGruder will be waived later this month.

I hadn't thought of meeting the minimum. Looking at their pay roll, it appears that you're right, that that's the challenge right now.

I've looked ahead to the free agent list for next year. I see a bunch of guys either out of reach or not of great value to the team. Getting four years of Ben Simmons still strikes me as a better way to go then the realistic possibilities on that list. Take a look and see if you're more optimistic about that.

And Cade's two inches shorter than advertised at 6'6". Colleges get to heighten these guys before their official NBA checks in. Oh well. That shouldn't matter.

Murph wrote:Sparma...you make many good points.  I agree with almost all of them, save resigning Diallo.  We should let him walk

The Pistons payroll needs to meet the minimum NBA salary of $101 million this year, and the Pistons need to keep losing.  We need to lose more than 25.5 games this year, many more.

With that in mind, all these free agents are just place holders...Effen Olynyk, Lyles, Joseph, McGruder, Okafore, JJ, even Grant.  They are all guys we can spend money on, while they play on short contracts and don't help us win.  (Ugh...tanking sucks.)

With that in mind, we will have roughly $42 million in expiring contracts after this season, and another $42 million in expiring contracts after next year.  Plus, with Gores permission, Weaver can ramp up the overall payroll from around the NBA minimum ($101 million this year), to the tax threshold ($136 million this year).

In other words, Weaver is going to have a ton of money to spend over the next 2 years.  He'd better do it wisely.  He'll only have a couple of tries to get this right.

IMO, Weaver should throw a ton of money at a couple of choice free agent wings...superstars.  Rather than sign of bunch of mediocre role players, he should go for the superstars to play along side Cunningham.  We already have a bunch of potential role players...Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Lee, Frank Jackson, next year's 1st round pick, and maybe Sekou, Livers and Garza. What we need are superstars.

Oh, and we need a coach.  Casey's gotta go.

Sparma wrote:Murph dislikes Olynyk, I thought highly of Plumlee.  Trey Lyles comes with big question marks.  Murph thinks we're getting a bargain with Joseph.

How many do any of those moves really matter though?  Doesn't the Olynyk deal have a 3rd year team option?  The Lyles deal is for 2 years, as is Joseph's.

As I see things, we really could use another high draft pick next year, and we need to use the hefty amount of money we'll have next summer well.  Some hopeful signs are needed this season, but not a ton of winning.

As I see it, the significant jump in wins needs to come next year.

So what's the current plan?  I think all three of those guys could help at the outset of the Cade-era but all will be gone (well, maybe not Kelly) by the time we need to be really

Arguably, the Saben Lee deal is the first important signing of the Cade era, and it's for three years, taking us just to the edge of what had better be a really good team if we hope to keep Cade.

Grant's deal prevents me from projecting him as a long term near All Star next to Cade.  

Killian made some of the most sensational passes I've seen from a Piston, but right now I think Saben's the more productive player (eg with a far higher PER).  Not only was he super young last year, but he dealt with a serious injury.  Maybe we can have good hope for a leap this season.

Stewart was a tremendously pleasant surprise.  He may be prone to a sophomore slump.  I question that the early good shooting from distance will be replicated next season.  Also, Plumlee protected him (tried hard to, at least) from needing to take on certain match ups (against the real big guys, something I doubt Olynyk can do at all effectively).  I see Stewart as being prone to foul trouble this year as he takes on more challenges.

Saddiq Bey was really good as a rook, 2nd team All Rookie.  A low ceiling's been the worry about him from the outset.  Can he escape that kind of projection this year?  I expect both Stewart and Bey to be good rotational players in the NBA for a long time.  Will they become more than that?  I'm not so sure.

I hope one of the second rounders, at least, becomes a good NBA player.  Haven't learned a bit since the draft, I like each of the second round picks.  Betting on any one second rounder's always an iffy proposition though.

What lies ahead?  Likely a Diallo signing.  He'll be able to score and play tough D.  Will he be able to shoot from distance?  Will we re-sign Frank Jackson, an excellent shooter from distance, and a gritty player.  I hope so.

Part of me wants to say: we got Cade, we're good for now.  Relax.  At the same time, since that glorious moment of drafting him, I haven't been so impressed with the architectural plans to build around him in the long run.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty The Architectural Plan

Post  Murph Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:40 am

Sparma...you make many good points.  I agree with almost all of them, save resigning Diallo.  We should let him walk

The Pistons payroll needs to meet the minimum NBA salary of $101 million this year, and the Pistons need to keep losing.  We need to lose more than 25.5 games this year, many more.

With that in mind, all these free agents are just place holders...Effen Olynyk, Lyles, Joseph, McGruder, Okafore, JJ, even Grant.  They are all guys we can spend money on, while they play on short contracts and don't help us win.  (Ugh...tanking sucks.)

With that in mind, we will have roughly $42 million in expiring contracts after this season, and another $42 million in expiring contracts after next year.  Plus, with Gores permission, Weaver can ramp up the overall payroll from around the NBA minimum ($101 million this year), to the tax threshold ($136 million this year).

In other words, Weaver is going to have a ton of money to spend over the next 2 years.  He'd better do it wisely.  He'll only have a couple of tries to get this right.

IMO, Weaver should throw a ton of money at a couple of choice free agent wings...superstars.  Rather than sign of bunch of mediocre role players, he should go for the superstars to play along side Cunningham.  We already have a bunch of potential role players...Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Lee, Frank Jackson, next year's 1st round pick, and maybe Sekou, Livers and Garza. What we need are superstars.

Oh, and we need a coach. Casey's gotta go.

Sparma wrote:Murph dislikes Olynyk, I thought highly of Plumlee.  Trey Lyles comes with big question marks.  Murph thinks we're getting a bargain with Joseph.

How many do any of those moves really matter though?  Doesn't the Olynyk deal have a 3rd year team option?  The Lyles deal is for 2 years, as is Joseph's.

As I see things, we really could use another high draft pick next year, and we need to use the hefty amount of money we'll have next summer well.  Some hopeful signs are needed this season, but not a ton of winning.

So what's the current plan?  I think all three of those guys could help at the outset of the Cade-era but all will be gone (well, maybe not Kelly) by the time we need to be really

Arguably, the Saben Lee deal is the first important signing of the Cade era, and it's for three years, taking us just to the edge of what had better be a really good team if we hope to keep Cade.

Grant's deal prevents me from projecting him as a long term near All Star next to Cade.  

Killian made some of the most sensational passes I've seen from a Piston, but right now I think Saben's the more productive player (eg with a far higher PER).  Not only was he super young last year, but he dealt with a serious injury.  Maybe we can have good hope for a leap this season.

Stewart was a tremendously pleasant surprise.  He may be prone to a sophomore slump.  I question that the early good shooting from distance will be replicated next season.  Also, Plumlee protected him (tried hard to, at least) from needing to take on certain match ups (against the real big guys, something I doubt Olynyk can do at all effectively).  I see Stewart as being prone to foul trouble this year as he takes on more challenges.

Saddiq Bey was really good as a rook, 2nd team All Rookie.  A low ceiling's been the worry about him from the outset.  Can he escape that kind of projection this year?  I expect both Stewart and Bey to be good rotational players in the NBA for a long time.  Will they become more than that?  I'm not so sure.

I hope one of the second rounders, at least, becomes a good NBA player.  Haven't learned a bit since the draft, I like each of the second round picks.  Betting on any one second rounder's always an iffy proposition though.

What lies ahead?  Likely a Diallo signing.  He'll be able to score and play tough D.  Will he be able to shoot from distance?  Will we re-sign Frank Jackson, an excellent shooter from distance, and a gritty player.  I hope so.

Part of me wants to say: we got Cade, we're good for now.  Relax.  At the same time, since that glorious moment of drafting him, I haven't been so impressed with the architectural plans to build around him in the long run.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Has the future gotten brighter since draft night?

Post  Sparma Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Murph dislikes Olynyk, I thought highly of Plumlee. Trey Lyles comes with big question marks. Murph thinks we're getting a bargain with Joseph.

How many do any of those moves really matter though? Doesn't the Olynyk deal have a 3rd year team option? The Lyles deal is for 2 years, as is Joseph's.

As I see things, we really could use another high draft pick next year, and we need to use the hefty amount of money we'll have next summer well. Some hopeful signs are needed this season, but not a ton of winning.

So what's the current plan? I think all three of those guys could help at the outset of the Cade-era but all will be gone (well, maybe not Kelly) by the time we need to be really

Killian made some of the most sensational passes I've seen from a Piston, but right now I think Saben's the more productive player (eg with a far higher PER). Not only was he super young last year, but he dealt with a serious injury. Maybe we can have good hope for a leap this season.

Stewart was a tremendously pleasant surprise. He may be prone to a sophomore slump. I question that the early good shooting from distance will be replicated next season. Also, Plumlee protected him (tried hard to, at least) from needing to take on certain match ups (against the real big guys, something I doubt Olynyk can do at all effectively). I see Stewart as being prone to foul trouble this year as he takes on more challenges.

Saddiq Bey was really good as a rook, 2nd team All Rookie. A low ceiling's been the worry about him from the outset. Can he escape that kind of projection this year? I expect both Stewart and Bey to be good rotational players in the NBA for a long time. Will they become more than that? I'm not so sure.

I hope one of the second rounders, at least, becomes a good NBA player. Haven't learned a bit since the draft, I like each of the second round picks. Betting on any one second rounder's always an iffy proposition though.

What lies ahead? Likely a Diallo signing. He'll be able to score and play tough D. Will he be able to shoot from distance? Will we re-sign Frank Jackson, an excellent shooter from distance, and a gritty player. I hope so.

Part of me wants to say: we got Cade, we're good for now. Relax. At the same time, since that glorious moment of drafting him, I haven't been so impressed with the architectural plans to build around him in the long run.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Drummonds is such a f@@king BUM!

Post  Phil-Good Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 pm

All the teams in the NBA he goes and sign on Joel’s freaking team😭😭😭😭

Joel embarrassed Drummonds. Thats when I knew Drummonds had to go! What a flip this guy career has turn out to be! Drummonds could be a NBA all star if he had any type of basketball IQ at all.
Anyway, let’s get the other two UFA sign and let’s move the restore forward. Trust the process!!!
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Drummond To Philly

Post  lemonpen Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:25 pm

Oracle wrote:Wow, how the mighty have fallen!!!

Drummond takes a One year veterans minimum contract, the deal he tweeted to an LA fan that he 100% wouldn't take!!!

@Murph: I totally agree, why trade a guy that fits here perfectly, Plumlee,  for a guy that would struggle to carry his jock strap in Olynyk?

I almost forgot Olynyk was still in the league  lol. Well, let's hope he can revive his career.
Sparma wrote:He joins force with his former nemesis Embiid, on a one year deal.  Woj didn't supply the terms of the contract.

I hope that works out for him!  Yesterday, I thought his time with the Lakers was up, when I heard Dwight Howard was joining the Lakers for a third time.

I have such a hard time feeling sorry for the guy. What the League is willing to pay for his services should be no surprise by now, and is confirmation of widely accepted, long understood deficiencies in his game.
Maybe being close to the Ben Simmons saga (relative to a suspect work ethic) will be the thing that impacts Dre's dedication to his own craft.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty KELLY EFFEN OLYNYK

Post  lemonpen Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:48 am

Murph wrote:And what is it with that dumbas pony tail???  He has to be one of the ugliest turds in today’s NBA, and that’s saying a lot.  I can’t think of too many other players I despise as much as this fool.

Olynyk is the epitome of everything that’s wrong with today’s NBA.

Maybe we’ll all get lucky and Olynyk will blow out his Achilles’ tendon, and the Pistons will be forced to start Stewart or Garza at center.  🤞

Hummmmm; Has there ever been "Bad Boy" who sported a pony tail? In any sport? I'm drawing a blank.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty SABEN LEE

Post  lemonpen Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:42 am

Murph wrote:It’s good to see the Pistons resigned Saben Lee to a 3 year deal, 2 of which are guaranteed.  He deserves it.  He played well last year in limited minutes, and he will make a good 3rd or 4th string PG (Cunningham, Hayes, Joseph, Lee).

The thing I like most about this deal is that it inspires a sense of permanence and belonging.  That is, if we draft you and you play well, we will keep you and develop you as best we can.  In this way, Weaver and the Pistons will develop team chemistry and a sense of family.

Rather than just have some revolving door of meaningless free agents, the way Dumars and SVG did, Weaver is attempting to build a team from the bottom up, through the draft.  And the way to do that is to draft well and retain and develop your own players.

I mean sure the NBA is a business.  I get that.  But OTOH, the players are people, who will respond well to loyalty, chemistry and a sense of belonging.

Agreed, and this fan appreciates that quality in our team.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty I Hate The NBA

Post  lemonpen Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am

Murph wrote:Lemon...you are undoubtedly correct.  But this just emphasizes what I hate about today’s NBA.  No one gives a whit about defense, or even rebounding at this point.

I mean look at those NBA Final’s scores.  They were frequently in the 130’s.  😳. For a guy like myself who grew up watching Dennis Rodman and the Bad Boys and Ben Wallace and the Going To Work Crew, this is tough to take.

I mean now Weaver intends to start Olynyk at center and Grant (who’s really a SF) at PF.  Between them, they average 9 rebounds a game. Ah...but who cares...they can shoot 3’s.

I’m sorry, the 3 point shot, along with horrible officiating, has ruined basketball. And yes, I’m a grumpy old man.  😡

lemonpen wrote:
Murph wrote:So let me get this straight.  The Pistons traded Mason Plumlee so they could sign that turd Kelly Olynyk to a 3 year, $37 million contact???  WTF???  At that price, the Pistons will never be able to dump him.  I can't believe I have to watch that turd stink up the joint and take minutes away from our younger big men for the next 3 years.

Weaver doesn't make many mistakes, but this is one of them.   facepalm

Of the several I've read the one which made the most sense is that Kelly's shooting can draw opposing centers out of the paint, creating more room for Cade (and others).

Make that 2 grumpy old men.

I believe the Pistons have a team option for the third year, which to the right team, makes him an expiring contract next season.

For those of us who miss the days of tougher defense, it seems the League may be having similar longings.
NBA Plans New Rules Regarding “Non-Basketball” Moves

clap clap clap
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Kelly Effen Olynyk

Post  Murph Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:41 am

And what is it with that dumbas pony tail???  He has to be one of the ugliest turds in today’s NBA, and that’s saying a lot.  I can’t think of too many other players I despise as much as this fool.

Olynyk is the epitome of everything that’s wrong with today’s NBA.

Maybe we’ll all get lucky and Olynyk will blow out his Achilles’ tendon, and the Pistons will be forced to start Stewart or Garza at center. 🤞

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty No, I Really Hate The NBA

Post  Murph Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:07 am

So Andre Drummond, who has been a 2 time All Star, and who has rebounded at historic rates, and who has an outstanding career defensive rating, and who can block shots, set picks and steal the ball, and who is in the prime of his career...so Andre Drummond can't get a contract to save his life and has to sign for the veteran's minimum for 1 year as a backup.

Meanwhile, that turd Kelly Olynyk who has never done sh*t in the NBA for his entire career, who can't rebound or play defense...Kelly Effing Olynyk gets a 3 year $37 million contract, because he can shoot 3 pointers???  My head hurts.  facepalm

Seriously, can you imagine how much Darko would be worth in today's NBA?  Or Mehmet Okur, or even Charley Freaking Villanueva???  WTF???

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Saben Lee

Post  Murph Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:55 am

It’s good to see the Pistons resigned Saben Lee to a 3 year deal, 2 of which are guaranteed. He deserves it. He played well last year in limited minutes, and he will make a good 3rd or 4th string PG (Cunningham, Hayes, Joseph, Lee).

The thing I like most about this deal is that it inspires a sense of permanence and belonging. That is, if we draft you and you play well, we will keep you and develop you as best we can. In this way, Weaver and the Pistons will develop team chemistry and a sense of family.

Rather than just have some revolving door of meaningless free agents, the way Dumars and SVG did, Weaver is attempting to build a team from the bottom up, through the draft. And the way to do that is to draft well and retain and develop your own players.

I mean sure the NBA is a business. I get that. But OTOH, the players are people, who will respond well to loyalty, chemistry and a sense of belonging.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty I Hate The NBA

Post  Murph Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:03 am

Lemon...you are undoubtedly correct. But this just emphasizes what I hate about today’s NBA. No one gives a whit about defense, or even rebounding at this point.

I mean look at those NBA Final’s scores. They were frequently in the 130’s. 😳. For a guy like myself who grew up watching Dennis Rodman and the Bad Boys and Ben Wallace and the Going To Work Crew, this is tough to take.

I mean now Weaver intends to start Olynyk at center and Grant (who’s really a SF) at PF. Between them, they average 9 rebounds a game. Ah...but who cares...they can shoot 3’s.

I’m sorry, the 3 point shot, along with horrible officiating, has ruined basketball. And yes, I’m a grumpy old man. 😡

lemonpen wrote:
Murph wrote:So let me get this straight.  The Pistons traded Mason Plumlee so they could sign that turd Kelly Olynyk to a 3 year, $37 million contact???  WTF???  At that price, the Pistons will never be able to dump him.  I can't believe I have to watch that turd stink up the joint and take minutes away from our younger big men for the next 3 years.

Of the several I've read the one which made the most sense is that Kelly's shooting can draw opposing centers out of the paint, creating more room for Cade (and others).

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Bowling/ Lemonpen

Post  Sparma Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks for that update, Lemonpen.

The third strategy would not have occurred to me, at least not in those words!

I hope you have a productive year of preparation for the next round!

lemonpen wrote:
Sparma wrote:I'm guessing that 25.5 over/under won't be on the board long.  In fact, I'm guessing it will be gone come Friday.

Good stuff, Lemon, with your bowling.  What's your strategy for improvement during the coming year?  Weigh training seems to be a difference maker in various sports.  Yaz in '67 is the first time I remember talk of extensive and intensive training.  I do remember worries being expressed even earlier about Willie Horton being too musclebound.

I couldn't manage something like that now, with back woes and sundry.  I have been walking 5 miles a day now that I retired, much of it with my dog.

lemonpen wrote:1st Pick:  
Is Troy really open to trading down.  I suspect he is, but.  I believe the return has to be good enough to essentially provide a "do over" in the event his 2021 selection doesn't become "THE GUY".   In Troy I trust; (gulp).

2022 W/L Record:  
If we do take Cade I'm really tempted to visit a sports book and lay a wager on the over.  25.5  just seems too low.  Doesn't it?  Come on help me out here.  TT  

Core 4:  
Glad to read that they have spent summer in the D working out together.

S. Biles:  
Got a feeling her exit from the Olympics may be a relief.  She didn't seem to be enjoying the moment anymore.

USA Mens B'ball Team:  
R  U very upset by the upsets?  Not me.  Of all of the reasons swirling around my noggin, maybe it's because previous victories seemed too much like fishing with dynamite.  I don't celebrate the L's, I'm just loosing interest.

You are correct that weight training is #1.     Muscles specific to bowling motions (shoulder, wrist, core, and legs) have really suffered from the 14 month shutdown.  
#2 is improving my technique.  Much like any other sport we use practice & video to identify then eliminate chronic errors during ball delivery.
Lastly, and most difficult, "See more as the ball matriculates down the lane".  Anticipation (of results) is a mother.  It usually prevents us from seeing details responsible for the result.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Plumlee & Olynyk

Post  Sparma Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Much as I appreciated Mason's game, he's 2-39 from distance for his career, making him a tick better than a 5% (!) career shooter from distance.. Olynyk's a career 36.7% shooter from distance. That part makes him a better fit, as Lemonpen says.

I still think the Plumlee trade was a crummy one, moving down 20 spots; he would have had positive value during the season, winding up with a star level PER for the season.

lemonpen wrote:

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Bowling Strategy

Post  lemonpen Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:36 pm

Sparma wrote:I'm guessing that 25.5 over/under won't be on the board long.  In fact, I'm guessing it will be gone come Friday.

Good stuff, Lemon, with your bowling.  What's your strategy for improvement during the coming year?  Weigh training seems to be a difference maker in various sports.  Yaz in '67 is the first time I remember talk of extensive and intensive training.  I do remember worries being expressed even earlier about Willie Horton being too musclebound.

I couldn't manage something like that now, with back woes and sundry.  I have been walking 5 miles a day now that I retired, much of it with my dog.

lemonpen wrote:1st Pick:  
Is Troy really open to trading down.  I suspect he is, but.  I believe the return has to be good enough to essentially provide a "do over" in the event his 2021 selection doesn't become "THE GUY".   In Troy I trust; (gulp).

2022 W/L Record:  
If we do take Cade I'm really tempted to visit a sports book and lay a wager on the over.  25.5  just seems too low.  Doesn't it?  Come on help me out here.  TT  

Core 4:  
Glad to read that they have spent summer in the D working out together.

S. Biles:  
Got a feeling her exit from the Olympics may be a relief.  She didn't seem to be enjoying the moment anymore.

USA Mens B'ball Team:  
R  U very upset by the upsets?  Not me.  Of all of the reasons swirling around my noggin, maybe it's because previous victories seemed too much like fishing with dynamite.  I don't celebrate the L's, I'm just loosing interest.

You are correct that weight training is #1. Muscles specific to bowling motions (shoulder, wrist, core, and legs) have really suffered from the 14 month shutdown.
#2 is improving my technique. Much like any other sport we use practice & video to identify then eliminate chronic errors during ball delivery.
Lastly, and most difficult, "See more as the ball matriculates down the lane". Anticipation (of results) is a mother. It usually prevents us from seeing details responsible for the result.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty 1 Reason

Post  lemonpen Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty DRUMMOND TO PHILLY!!!

Post  Oracle Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:14 am

Wow, how the mighty have fallen!!!

Drummond takes a One year veterans minimum contract, the deal he tweeted to an LA fan that he 100% wouldn't take!!!

@Murph: I totally agree, why trade a guy that fits here perfectly, Plumlee,  for a guy that would struggle to carry his jock strap in Olynyk?

I almost forgot Olynyk was still in the league  lol. Well, let's hope he can revive his career.
Sparma wrote:He joins force with his former nemesis Embiid, on a one year deal.  Woj didn't supply the terms of the contract.

I hope that works out for him!  Yesterday, I thought his time with the Lakers was up, when I heard Dwight Howard was joining the Lakers for a third time.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Drummond to Philly!!!

Post  Sparma Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:05 pm

He joins force with his former nemesis Embiid, on a one year deal. Woj didn't supply the terms of the contract.

I hope that works out for him! Yesterday, I thought his time with the Lakers was up, when I heard Dwight Howard was joining the Lakers for a third time.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Decent haul

Post  Sparma Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:02 am

No great signings, and that 25.5 over/under's beginning to look more and more reasonable. Still...

I may have been Mason Plumlee's biggest fan, and giving up an asset (a higher 2nd round pick) to get rid of him seemed weird. He's being replaced by someone more expensive, who's roughly as good. Also, it's usually dangerous signing someone coming off of a performance well above career average. Still, Olynyk's a good (not great) shooter from distance, and in that way a better fit than Plumlee. And maybe Olynyk can keep up that new found ability to pass and drive to the basket, if afforded the possibility.

The red flag with Corey Joseph is that he's being signed right off of outperforming his career (like Kelly). Still, based on how he played with us he richly deserved to be resigned.
Good contract at 10 mil for 2 years, and still pretty good when considering we're also paying him the 2.4 mil from the buyout. I forget the name of the provision under which he signed; a kind of bonus mid-level.

Trey Lyles's the biggest puzzler, given that he seems to have some attitude troubles (in an article cited at DBB). In 2018, he specified Detroit as one of the worst NBA cities. Hmm.
Still, he's a decent shooter from distance, and has a good chance to outperform his contract of 5 mil for 2 years.

Weaver evidently went for fit with these signing.

I really liked both Frank Jackson and Saben Lee. I hope they're both resigned.

Diallo's the mystery. Can't see how he'll get paid what he might have hoped for (10 mil?). I'm not such a fan because I'm suspicious of his distance shooting, even though it was good in the short spell with us. I'll make a safe and daring prediction for the event that he returns (and remains healthy): 1) his scoring average (11.2 with us) will go up, and 2) he'll be the second highest (well, maybe third highest) scorer on the team, behind Grant.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM Empty Re: FORUM

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next