Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+9
Sissy1946
Go Stones!
merc
Sebastian
deusXango
Murph
Sparma
Phil-Good
Fennis Dembo
13 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Singler

Post  Sparma Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks DX. I like Singler well enough that, for his sake, I'd almost like to see him make his way to San Antonio, where he'd be a low rotation player, but a really valuable one, whose strengths were featured. For me, those strengths include his sense of positioning (on O and D), his stamina and determination, his combination of an outside and inside game (when someone's dishing to him on cuts), the varied nature of his game (he can shoot or pass, he'll work hard on D), and his being an excellent part of a motion offense (which we don't have, for the most part).

deusXango wrote:
Sparma wrote:Now that I'm watching regularly again I have a big worry about Singler: he's not strong enough for a SF.  That limited strength might be okay at SG, but there his lack of quickness kills him.  For example, tonight there was a play on which the ball was ruled as going out of bounds on him, which happened because he wasn't able to hold position with a stronger player jostling him (earlier, I mentioned Knight easily knocking him out of position when they engaged).

On the positive side: whereas his outside shot's erratic, he's excellent cutting to the basket.  Sadly, he's rarely passed to at the right time and place which leads to his ineffectual perimeter positioning.  

There's much to like about Singler, and I'm a fan, but I'm inclined to agree he's low in the rotation on a good team (and maybe that's how SVG's seeing it too!)
The calm voice of reason making an honest assessment shared by many, myself included; he's not a superstar, or star even....he's not a reliable starter, but what he is is a damn good guy and valuable player on a team trying to contend. Thanks Sparma.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Sebastian

Post  deusXango Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Sebastian, m'man, I realize I was reaching, but after watching what I consider to be a "stumbling out the gate" season, I'm desperate; I'm watching games in utter amazement. I never expected to be off to this start and this rash of injuries is mind-boggling.

I appreciate your candor, as it was given without criticism, and the explanation (with reference) is something I hadn't thought through (especially the NBA itineraries impact on a player/team).

I know we fight the good fight together and a part of the struggle campaigning for a better team is when one of us go overboard is to pull his ass back in the boat; I ain't out here on my own, I got you, Oracle, Wise, Sparma, Murph, Lemon, Stones, Merc, and the great Fennis Dembo to keep me grounded and rooting for the home team.

No Royce White? Okay, I'm back to Quincy Miller! Oh, by the way, thanks for the Wikipedia feed; the guy has a world of talent, but for that unfortunate psychological disorder.......
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Royce White?

Post  Sebastian Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:54 am

deusXango wrote:There hasn't been an uproar lately, so I'm going to start one with this suggestion. I'm not making statements without merit, nor should they not receive open-minded consideration. Sign Royce White for the peanuts that're left laying around and see how he fares out in the mid-west.

Traveling was the major issue for White, not his skills, attitude, or coachability...air travel to be more precise. Look at the teams Detroit plays that can be reached by automobile or train and how many times we play them in the course of a season; Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Toronto, New York, New Jersey, Boston, you get my drift? You add those games to the home games with the support of his team mates and staff, and management approves it, we have a player who could help push us into the playoffs! We deal with the cross-country issue when we get to it; the L.A. teams are not going to be playing for the championship (I'm willing to bet), OKC is unexpectedly done for this year, and I don't think it's Portlands time yet, so that leaves one of the Texas teams...doable, travel wise.

The questions I'd like my fellow posters to think about is, would he bring more to the team than Datome, Mitchell, Martin, Butler, Singler, and Jerebko talent and skillwise? Consider for a minute that he's really not crazy, but has a psychological block or mental phobia, if you will, against flying and that's the extent of his problems, would he be worth taking a flyer on for this year? At our current rate of success, what would we have to loose? Would he be worth the contract we signed him to or not?

Thoughts?

DX, you have gone way outside of the box on this one, my man. Royce White? The dude who is afraid to fly in a League, where flying is one of the major challenges. How in the world is a player, who is afraid to fly would ever make it in a League where one night you're in Detroit and the next night you are scheduled to play in Toronto and then two night later in New York? It can't work. No way, no how.

Remember, the guys are not just showing up for the games. They have to be in the next city in time for shoot-a-rounds and pre-game meetings, not to mention pre-game meetings. The itinerary of an NBA player is  probably a greater challenge than the actual opponent.

All of the constant traveling is somewhat aided by the private flights that the teams have to shuffle them around from city to city, but traveling by road in the winter and early spring weather conditions ... a player would never make it on time. Then, there is the uneven attention that is provided to a 3rd-tier player player.

Most times, DX I can roll with your suggestions and ideas, but with this one you are out there on your own, chief.

Not a good idea, at all.

Checkout Royce White's Wikipedia page. He has yet to overcome his fear of travel via air - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royce_White
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Madness revisited

Post  deusXango Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:57 am

There hasn't been an uproar lately, so I'm going to start one with this suggestion. I'm not making statements without merit, nor should they not receive open-minded consideration. Sign Royce White for the peanuts that're left laying around and see how he fares out in the mid-west.

Traveling was the major issue for White, not his skills, attitude, or coachability...air travel to be more precise. Look at the teams Detroit plays that can be reached by automobile or train and how many times we play them in the course of a season; Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Toronto, New York, New Jersey, Boston, you get my drift? You add those games to the home games with the support of his team mates and staff, and management approves it, we have a player who could help push us into the playoffs! We deal with the cross-country issue when we get to it; the L.A. teams are not going to be playing for the championship (I'm willing to bet), OKC is unexpectedly done for this year, and I don't think it's Portlands time yet, so that leaves one of the Texas teams...doable, travel wise.

The questions I'd like my fellow posters to think about is, would he bring more to the team than Datome, Mitchell, Martin, Butler, Singler, and Jerebko talent and skillwise? Consider for a minute that he's really not crazy, but has a psychological block or mental phobia, if you will, against flying and that's the extent of his problems, would he be worth taking a flyer on for this year? At our current rate of success, what would we have to loose? Would he be worth the contract we signed him to or not?

Thoughts?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  deusXango Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:25 am

Sparma wrote:Now that I'm watching regularly again I have a big worry about Singler: he's not strong enough for a SF.  That limited strength might be okay at SG, but there his lack of quickness kills him.  For example, tonight there was a play on which the ball was ruled as going out of bounds on him, which happened because he wasn't able to hold position with a stronger player jostling him (earlier, I mentioned Knight easily knocking him out of position when they engaged).

On the positive side: whereas his outside shot's erratic, he's excellent cutting to the basket.  Sadly, he's rarely passed to at the right time and place which leads to his ineffectual perimeter positioning.  

There's much to like about Singler, and I'm a fan, but I'm inclined to agree he's low in the rotation on a good team (and maybe that's how SVG's seeing it too!)
The calm voice of reason making an honest assessment shared by many, myself included; he's not a superstar, or star even....he's not a reliable starter, but what he is is a damn good guy and valuable player on a team trying to contend. Thanks Sparma.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparma Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:41 am

Now that I'm watching regularly again I have a big worry about Singler: he's not strong enough for a SF. That limited strength might be okay at SG, but there his lack of quickness kills him. For example, tonight there was a play on which the ball was ruled as going out of bounds on him, which happened because he wasn't able to hold position with a stronger player jostling him (earlier, I mentioned Knight easily knocking him out of position when they engaged).

On the positive side: whereas his outside shot's erratic, he's excellent cutting to the basket. Sadly, he's rarely passed to at the right time and place which leads to his ineffectual perimeter positioning.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 pm

Oracle wrote:Hey Bro, I'm so glad you didn't mean that lol

Talk about having to hide a crazy ass brother lol lol lol

But while I do get on Josh, I also believe that if we get our sh!t together, his value will rise, it's just tough right now.

These losses really hurt, but the good news is that each game we're seeing more people coming around. It's only a matter of time before it comes together and we go on a mini win streak of 5-7 games, and start moving on.

But the need for a legit SF is really showing up as we've seen absolutely no improvement from Singler, who I do think will come around when the team plays better, but he would be dynamic backing up a good SF, as Singler is a good piece for a good team!

Man, it's getting harder and harder to remember that Martin & Meeks are even a part of this team!

Singler's shooting percentage might should turn around much like Jennings shooting did tonight. But Kyle needs to touch the gall more to get his mojo going. Singler did make two 3s tonight and one big one in crunch time but I agree he is not shooting the ball so far like he did last season. And he missed a critical free throw. But don't forget that his defense lead to deflections that lead to steals. He had one steal in crunch time. Detroit played well enough to win tonight and they lost because Monroe and Smith were horrible on defense. When a team is playing a tight game away from home, you win those games with your defense and so far our key players cannot get stops and have terrible mental lapses at key moments. And some of those shot attempts made by Smith in the 2nd half had no chance in hell of going in but he attempted the shots anyway,

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty key plays missed shows are key players have one key flaw and that of course is a low basketball IQ.

Post  cool breeze Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:35 pm

One case in point would be Josh Smith failing to box out or get a body on Pierce. If Smith would have moved out to meet Pierce there is no way Paul could have gotten a hand on the ball. Another key moment happened with around one minute to play. Singler was given the ball on the left side and was double teamed with the shot clock expiring. He was waiting for one of the big men to make a cut to the opposite low block which was wide open. He kept looking but all four players just stood behind the foul line and watched Singler. If Jerebco had been in the game, he would have made that cut. Most high school players would have made that basic move but our starting big men are mentally challenged.

Josh Smith cannot play small forward if Detroit wants to win many games. It is clear that he has no idea how to defend any opposing small forward. Pierce got all his points off Smith. He didn't score against Singler. My vote would be to exchange minutes between Jerebco and Smith. Jerebco is the superior player by far. Smith was horrible wherever he played tonight.

One player who is worse on the defensive end is Greg Monroe. It was actually funny when Jennings got a rebound that should have been Monroe's. When Smith did play inside on defense, he had no help from Monroe. All teams know how to attack the Pistons go right at Greg Monroe. Monroe never tries to block a shot. If he does anything he just raises his arm a bit but there is no danger that the shooter will have any trouble getting his shot off. That is why opposing big men shoot for such a high percentage. They are confident that there will no resistance from Greg. Monroe has not improved one bit on defense from his rookie season or for that matter when he was forced to go to the bench at Georgetown because he couldn't hold his own at the college level. That is why no other coach with the exception of SVG has played Greg in crunch time. And I am sure Stan will figure things out pretty soon. But he has his work cut out for him because Smith has been playing horribly. More time should go to Jerebco and we will see more wins and more exciting basketball.

Great job by Brandon Jennings tonight. WOW! Augustin is not showing that he can run an offense any better than Will Bynum. He continues to shoot early in the shot clock without making one pass. When that happens his teammates stop moving without the ball.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty DX

Post  Oracle Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 pm

Hey Bro, I'm so glad you didn't mean that lol

Talk about having to hide a crazy ass brother lol lol lol

But while I do get on Josh, I also believe that if we get our sh!t together, his value will rise, it's just tough right now.

These losses really hurt, but the good news is that each game we're seeing more people coming around. It's only a matter of time before it comes together and we go on a mini win streak of 5-7 games, and start moving on.

But the need for a legit SF is really showing up as we've seen absolutely no improvement from Singler, who I do think will come around when the team plays better, but he would be dynamic backing up a good SF, as Singler is a good piece for a good team!

Man, it's getting harder and harder to remember that Martin & Meeks are even a part of this team!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty I wish ...

Post  Sebastian Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:33 pm

That Gores would had offered the dual GM/Head Coach responsibilities to OUR guy, Zeke. I know that the season is only into its 5th month (I say 5th month, because the season actually started on Draft Night), but Isiah would have been a far better coach and GM than SVG.

Last edited by Sebastian on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty A blind man should be able to see what's wrong with Drummond...

Post  Oracle Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:27 pm

FORUM - Page 13 FevwPhcI_normal Vincent Goodwill @vgoodwill
Follow
SVG on Drummond's struggles: "I don't have any idea"

The problem with Drummond can be summarized in one word... BYNUM!!!

Bynum almost exclusively knew how to get Drummond involved in the offense, and it was very successful!

While that was a good contribution, what it did even more was put pressure on the other guards to do it as well. In short, everyone wanted a piece of that easy assisting action!

Flash forward to today, and that mode of offense for Dre is almost totally gone. There days he's being asked to back people down or make baby hook shots for points, what he does so well isn't really an integral part of the offense and he's frustrated on both ends.

Now the problem is that Drummond needs to mature beyond those Bynum type plays and move on to a more structured game, but if SVG expects that to happen this quickly, he's not the coach I thought he is!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty WOW part 2

Post  deusXango Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Oracle wrote:
deusXango wrote:SVG has a brother, JVG, who's a respected NBA analyst and broadcaster who knows the "skinny" on the majority of NBA players, and is sure to have an in-depth insight into the news worthy ones; why in the hell was it necessary for SVG to evaluate a weak and flawed PG like Jennings when he took over? I'm sure the brothers talk basketball whenever they get together. Why wouldn't Jeff warn his loving brother about what he had to deal with in Jennings, if Stan didn't already know from the last time he coached, and if Stan knew, why hasn't he done something to remedy that?

Why hasn't the weakest link on the team been addressed any better than it has? The weakest link? SF of course, a position that many base their willing ignorance on, but worthy of being addressed; how many do we have on our roster and not a decent starter in the bunch....the best in the bunch doesn't mean he's a qualified starter. One of the Big 3 would have to come off the bench with a quality starting SF. Even the SF by committee doesn't work when we need it; I remember the other night when our top two SF's posted 2 points in a combined 50 minutes of play! If we could've gotten 10 points from them, we would have won easy!!

Josh Smith is the most versatile player we have on the team, but he's constantly vilified for the slightest infraction (some go so far as to consistently call him dumb...I wonder how they ball); has anyone ever given any serious thought to how we'll replace him? We're going to suit up a bag of chips? One of those club footed duds that Sacramento tried to pawn off on us? Replace him with a D-League player? We got better than a bag of chips in Datome and he doesn't play...for my money, Sacramento's offered junk is not better than Jerebko and he doesn't start and Mitchell is as good as anyone we can get from the D-League, and all he get's is DNP-CD's!!!! Yeah, get rid of Smith because he's not earning the money you're paying him out of your factory check. Sh!t.

I have no words...
lol That "who's a respected NBA analyst and broadcaster" crack made you "Monroe" your pants, huh Oracle? As soon as I typed that nonsense I was ashamed of myself, but I couldn't resist seeing who would agree with that...I'm relieved you're not on board with that my brother.

I'm so serious about our need for a starting SF I don't know what to say, other than it's rooted in this; I've been a big J-Smoove supporter as everyone knows, but if it comes down to him starting there, I'm for trading him for a bona fide SF! I'd trade him for a number of SF's currently appearing able to help us; Gay (who I think is more overpaid than Josh), Batum (who Portland will laugh in our faces), G. Green (something has to come with this), Chandler (Denver does "owe" us a solid), J. Green (I got a problem rolling with cardiac cases), but my personal favorite is a rookie, T.J. Warren.

Has anyone ever considered that Monroe is playing for a contract with us? That thought blows back a lot of hair doesn't it? Whatever is going on with Drummond is between him and SVG; I don't see any reason for his game (such as it was) to go into the toilet like it has, other than SVG is turning him off by trying too hard to get from him what he couldn't get from Howard. If that's the case, SVG is making a big mistake, because Drummond is a lot more mature (at this stage of his career) than Howard and doesn't require that heavy handed approach young, dumb, and confused Dwight did. Anyway, Monroe is turning out to be a revelation, blemishes and all, and the most reliable big man we have; I'm beginning to think it'd be a shame going forward without him.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty A game that WE should have had ...

Post  Sebastian Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:55 pm

This was the best game by OUR back court. Jennings was hot and still a little too wild, but he was amp up tonight. KCP played a very good game. He looked very confident on the floor all game long. Moose played a nice game, offensively. Josh was not all there and as Oracle noted, Dre was not ever mentally or physically in the game. I think there were at least two phantom fouls that were called against Dre that may have helped to take him out of the game both, mentally and physically.

Damn, WE should have had this one!
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Washington

Post  Sparma Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Jennings started with 26 points in 26 minutes. He can be terrific. Can he be our new Microwave instead of a would be Isiah? He's got to be one of the streakiest players in the NBA.

KCP impressive.

Monroe impressively solid again. On his way to big dough on a good team, if he can avert disaster. The Falk gambit's looking pretty good for the Monroe camp. On one level, I respect them contesting the restricted free agent system, because it's been a crock.

Drummond struggled, in good measure because of foul trouble once again.

And we scored 100. First time, right?

That John Wall's pretty good. We regularly turn a scrub (like Jason Smith) into a one game All Star. Rasual Butler tonight.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Well, they got out rebounded by 11 and wasted a game where...

Post  Oracle Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Jennings went for 32pts & 10 assists and KCP went for 20 points... 52 points from two players!!!

We're getting NOTHING from Drummond & Josh to help put us over the top!

At this point it may be wiser to give JJ more minutes than Singler until he gets his mojo back, but DX's posted scouting report was on full display tonight, especially when Singler guarded Wall. Short summary... it was UGLY!

And then I see this - Utah Jazz: Why Isn't Trey Burke Getting Better?
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Jennings on fire, KCP shooting good!

Post  Oracle Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 pm

But Drummond is really struggling and you can see the dejected look in his face!

Josh is doing his usual, but he has a sweet block at the rim!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Wow...

Post  Oracle Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:49 pm

deusXango wrote:SVG has a brother, JVG, who's a respected NBA analyst and broadcaster who knows the "skinny" on the majority of NBA players, and is sure to have an in-depth insight into the news worthy ones; why in the hell was it necessary for SVG to evaluate a weak and flawed PG like Jennings when he took over? I'm sure the brothers talk basketball whenever they get together. Why wouldn't Jeff warn his loving brother about what he had to deal with in Jennings, if Stan didn't already know from the last time he coached, and if Stan knew, why hasn't he done something to remedy that?

Why hasn't the weakest link on the team been addressed any better than it has? The weakest link? SF of course, a position that many base their willing ignorance on, but worthy of being addressed; how many do we have on our roster and not a decent starter in the bunch....the best in the bunch doesn't mean he's a qualified starter. One of the Big 3 would have to come off the bench with a quality starting SF. Even the SF by committee doesn't work when we need it; I remember the other night when our top two SF's posted 2 points in a combined 50 minutes of play! If we could've gotten 10 points from them, we would have won easy!!

Josh Smith is the most versatile player we have on the team, but he's constantly vilified for the slightest infraction (some go so far as to consistently call him dumb...I wonder how they ball); has anyone ever given any serious thought to how we'll replace him? We're going to suit up a bag of chips? One of those club footed duds that Sacramento tried to pawn off on us? Replace him with a D-League player? We got better than a bag of chips in Datome and he doesn't play...for my money, Sacramento's offered junk is not better than Jerebko and he doesn't start and Mitchell is as good as anyone we can get from the D-League, and all he get's is DNP-CD's!!!! Yeah, get rid of Smith because he's not earning the money you're paying him out of your factory check. Sh!t.

I have no words...
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty The thing that's been ignored

Post  deusXango Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:39 pm

SVG has a brother, JVG, who's a respected NBA analyst and broadcaster who knows the "skinny" on the majority of NBA players, and is sure to have an in-depth insight into the news worthy ones; why in the hell was it necessary for SVG to evaluate a weak and flawed PG like Jennings when he took over? I'm sure the brothers talk basketball whenever they get together. Why wouldn't Jeff warn his loving brother about what he had to deal with in Jennings, if Stan didn't already know from the last time he coached, and if Stan knew, why hasn't he done something to remedy that?

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Tonight vs. the Wizards

Post  Sebastian Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Oracle wrote:I totally agree that the backcourt is an issue!

As Seb said, both are backup PG's, and damn small ones at that, but I disagree with Don, I think Augustin is a very good backup, and feel more comfortable with him in there than Jennings.

Jennings really should be a situational player. Give him a heat check, and if he's off sit him down. Sure Augustin dribbles a lot, but what else can he do when nobody is moving on the offense except him.

His movement and dribbling is the only way to get those clowns open because they won't get open by themselves. It's unfair to blame him for lack of movement by the rest of the team!

However none of that explains the total collapse of Drummond as a defensive or offensive force! Yes, he can still rebound, but he's sucking at everything else. His collapse forces Josh to try to do too much, and we know where that leads.

One last thing on Jennings. Of the two guards, Augustin by far has the better handles! Augustin can get deeper into the defense and get out than Jennings, who is easily defended and generally trapped by defenders!

Jennings will only be of value if his shooting improves or he totally focuses on playmaking and not just assists.

We are holding teams to fewer points, and my first thought was that our defense has improved. Well, it appears that it's a little more complicated than that. There are actually 2 things going on that account for this.

1. Our defense has improved! We can see this in their play, but
2. It's not only the defense improvement, SVG has slowed the pace of the game which allows for fewer possessions

The combination of improved defense and a slower pace accounts for the lower scores. To make this work in our favor though, we're going to have to become a more efficient scoring team. Possessions are more valuable in slower paced games, just like in playoff games.

As Oracle has pointed out and even Stevie Wonder is well aware of: OUR PGs are too damn small. What are they going to do, tonight, against a 6-4, strong John Wall and his back-up, who loves to post-up smaller PGs, Andre Miller? B. Jennings and D.J. are going to get worn out tonight. The Bigs are going to have to help out and the weak side big is going to have to watch out for Gortat and/or Nene and/or Gooden who is a sneaking, good rebounder or even Kevin Seraphin; or even that Kardashian guy (Kris Humphries) and even Dejuan Blair. Damn, WE are in trouble tonight!
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Good posts today...

Post  Oracle Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:35 pm

I totally agree that the backcourt is an issue!

As Seb said, both are backup PG's, and damn small ones at that, but I disagree with Don, I think Augustin is a very good backup, and feel more comfortable with him in there than Jennings.

Jennings really should be a situational player. Give him a heat check, and if he's off sit him down. Sure Augustin dribbles a lot, but what else can he do when nobody is moving on the offense except him.

His movement and dribbling is the only way to get those clowns open because they won't get open by themselves. It's unfair to blame him for lack of movement by the rest of the team!

However none of that explains the total collapse of Drummond as a defensive or offensive force! Yes, he can still rebound, but he's sucking at everything else. His collapse forces Josh to try to do too much, and we know where that leads.

One last thing on Jennings. Of the two guards, Augustin by far has the better handles! Augustin can get deeper into the defense and get out than Jennings, who is easily defended and generally trapped by defenders!

Jennings will only be of value if his shooting improves or he totally focuses on playmaking and not just assists.

We are holding teams to fewer points, and my first thought was that our defense has improved. Well, it appears that it's a little more complicated than that. There are actually 2 things going on that account for this.

1. Our defense has improved! We can see this in their play, but
2. It's not only the defense improvement, SVG has slowed the pace of the game which allows for fewer possessions

The combination of improved defense and a slower pace accounts for the lower scores. To make this work in our favor though, we're going to have to become a more efficient scoring team. Possessions are more valuable in slower paced games, just like in playoff games.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty But, Cool ...

Post  Sebastian Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:04 pm

cool breeze wrote:
Sebastian wrote:OUR ole friend, Flip wanted to fortify their current PG conundrum with Rubio being out 6-8 weeks with a swap of B. Jennings for Thad Young.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6521517

The T-Wolves need a PG bad for the next two months, while Rubio is out, as they only have Levine a rookie who is no where near ready to lead a NBA ball club who is not really a PG and Mo Williams, who everybody knows he's not a PG. (Mo Williams masqueraded as a starting PG, when he played with LeBron during James' first tenure in Cleveland.)

Also, moving Thad Young frees up space and time for two rookies on the T-Wolves roster: Anthony Bennett and Gorgi Deng. Also, Jennings' and Young's contracts are both 2 years long, counting this year.

WE get a guy, who can start at the small forward position which helps to better define OUR front line. Young plays both ends of the floor, really, really well. He has three point range, too. His passing may be a bet suspect at times, but Smith and Moose are good passers, so WE have been told.

Additionally, a trade of this sort frees up room for Dinwiddie to get on the floor.

What a wonderful idea Seb. However, word had spread around the league before Joe Dumars and Tom Gores decided to not only over pay Jennings but give up two promising players when they didn't have to give up anything that Jennings was poison on the Bucks team. His teammates sure didn't cry when he left. While Joe was sleeping after an overdose of glazed donuts, other GMs had no interest in Jennings. Other NBA players were not excited with the thought they would have to play Jennings style of basketball. Since arriving in Detroit and especially this season, Jennings has attempted to change his game and he has been more successful setting up his teammates or should I say teammate (Josh Smith). It is very doubtful that any Smart GM would take on Jennings contract unless Piston management offered some special incentives like agreeing pay part of his crazy contract. No our owner and Dumars have screwed the Detroit Piston fans for years to come by giving away our number one pick in this years draft, giving away Knight and Middleton and signing Jennings to that stupid contract. In my opinion we now have two small shoot first style point guards who are below average defenders. I am disappointed with Augustin who is less of a play maker than Jennings it appears.

I agree with you that the funk that is associated with B. Jennings' game is a stench that the entire League can smell, but it is time for GM Stan and his boy, Bowers to come up with some kind of move or moves that can help OUR ball club.

And, I hear all of my Pistons Pals saying the season is still early, and I even too a large degree agree with Oracle's 20-game assessment period but damn, I have grown impatient. Hell even my wife, who knows very little about the League said to me the other day with an obvious dose of sarcasm: "Your Pistons haven't been good in a whole decade." I corrected her and said that it has really been 8 years, but damn that is too damn long to be the laughing stock of the League. It is time to put a winning formula, together.

And, signing F@ckin' Jodie Meeks, Cartier Martin, D.J. Augustin, and Aaron Gray doesn't do it for me.

It is time for GM Stan and Bowers to get into Pimp-mode and come-up with some solutions to this current mess, known as the Detroit Pistons.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty Bucks beat the Thunder last night

Post  cool breeze Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:43 pm

My only comment on this game is that Knight and his teammates are fun to watch. I love their style of all out fast moving kick ass hard nosed action. Knight is getting better and better.

Meanwhile our team might win more games this season which means we will get kicked down the line in draft position. And of course we will get to watch the lumbering Big Three in action all year long. We will see perhaps one pass made per possession on offense and our big guys sleep walking on defense for a quarter or two each game. But I think that if Rose becomes injured again, Detroit might find a way to beat Chicago. With Rose and no Dinwiddie at point guard, there is no way in hell our Pistons can beat them because of our soft point guards who get all the playing time. The Pistons have been a work in progress now for about 6 years. When you have players who are not fundamentally sound, lack energy other NBA players have, and continue to reveal slow mental reaction time to situations on defense, your will always be (a work in progress). So good luck with that Stan. Everything depends on Drummond, Monroe, Smith and Jennings as to how good this team can become. That would be a bad bet Piston fans. I was actually saying to myself when will the playoffs start so we can see the good teams play?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Sebastian wrote:OUR ole friend, Flip wanted to fortify their current PG conundrum with Rubio being out 6-8 weeks with a swap of B. Jennings for Thad Young.

The T-Wolves need a PG bad for the next two months, while Rubio is out, as they only have Levine a rookie who is no where near ready to lead a NBA ball club who is not really a PG and Mo Williams, who everybody knows he's not a PG. (Mo Williams masqueraded as a starting PG, when he played with LeBron during James' first tenure in Cleveland.)

Also, moving Thad Young frees up space and time for two rookies on the T-Wolves roster: Anthony Bennett and Gorgi Deng. Also, Jennings' and Young's contracts are both 2 years long, counting this year.

WE get a guy, who can start at the small forward position which helps to better define OUR front line. Young plays both ends of the floor, really, really well. He has three point range, too. His passing may be a bet suspect at times, but Smith and Moose are good passers, so WE have been told.

Additionally, a trade of this sort frees up room for Dinwiddie to get on the floor.

What a wonderful idea Seb. However, word had spread around the league before Joe Dumars and Tom Gores decided to not only over pay Jennings but give up two promising players when they didn't have to give up anything that Jennings was poison on the Bucks team. His teammates sure didn't cry when he left. While Joe was sleeping after an overdose of glazed donuts, other GMs had no interest in Jennings. Other NBA players were not excited with the thought they would have to play Jennings style of basketball. Since arriving in Detroit and especially this season, Jennings has attempted to change his game and he has been more successful setting up his teammates or should I say teammate (Josh Smith). It is very doubtful that any Smart GM would take on Jennings contract unless Piston management offered some special incentives like agreeing pay part of his crazy contract. No our owner and Dumars have screwed the Detroit Piston fans for years to come by giving away our number one pick in this years draft, giving away Knight and Middleton and signing Jennings to that stupid contract. In my opinion we now have two small shoot first style point guards who are below average defenders. I am disappointed with Augustin who is less of a play maker than Jennings it appears.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty What if?

Post  Sebastian Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:42 pm

OUR ole friend, Flip wanted to fortify their current PG conundrum with Rubio being out 6-8 weeks with a swap of B. Jennings for Thad Young.

Also, moving Thad Young frees up space and time for two rookies oops I mean, second year players on the T-Wolves roster: Anthony Bennett and Gorgi Deng. Also, Jennings' and Young's contracts are both 2 years long, counting this year.

Last edited by Sebastian on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 13 Empty DX: The man with the plan ...

Post  Sebastian Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:17 pm

deusXango wrote:Sebastian, I'm with you all the way with your post on the plight of our big men; we need sound PG play, first of all, and a stable SG. To those ends, I'm ready to see Dinwiddie on the floor with KCP!

Remember how we clamored for Monroe and Drummond to be played together and Lil' Larry flat out refused to play them together, for any length of time, and now we have Smith in the mix still without knowing for sure how well Monroe and Drummond can be together; we've got snapshots and that's not good enough for me. Signing Jennings was a f@cked up decision by Joe and I'll go to my grave believing that! SVG has to "man up" and trade his ass or bring him off the bench A.S.A.P.! With Meeks out until December, start Dinwiddie and KCP now to see how they play together (possibly our future starting backcourt), and when Meeks returns play him on the 2nd unit with Jennings; if Jennings goes into a funk, play Augustin, it's as simple as that.

As soon as Martin decides to get back out on the court, start him at SF (a position he's won, but not played) and bring Drummond off the bench; I know that's sacrilege to the jackasses who're satisfied with Andre's declining production and inability to stay on the floor, but that's not taking the long view. A bench of Drummond, J.J., Singler/Butler, Meeks, and Jennings/Augustin could become one of the more formidable benches in the league, meanwhile Bower could be working toward a deal to trade Smith for an upgraded SF (hell no, I ain't talking about Jeff Green!!!) and draft pick(s) by the trade deadline. Once Smith is gone, reinstate Drummond to the starting lineup (hopefully he'll have gotten his sh!t together by then) and we have the best starting unit, based on the players on our roster, possible: Monroe, Drummond, Dinwiddie, KCP, and a yet to be determined SF. Anthony is a hell of a replacement for Drummond coming off the bench, for the remainder of the year.

This all starts and ends with the decisions to be made concerning the state of our backcourt; I'm tired of watching the Pistons being led by a PG only interested in his personal statistics, but can't make those around him better, play defense, or shot the ball. Jennings really can't shot worth a sh!t. I'm not impressed with his assist numbers (7-8 at best and 95% of them come in the first half) when the team is frozen out and not seeing the ball at "crunch time." A successful PG leads his team to victory by using all the offensive tools he has at his disposal in the second half and those tools aren't only his, but his team mates! I can't imagine, sight unseen, Dinwiddie being any worse.

DX, the plan that you have proposed is worth considering by GM Stan. Your blueprint reads as potential scheme to segway from the selfish play of B. Jennings. WE already know that GM/Head Coach Stan reads this board, as he has finally cast Singler into his proper role, as a 9th-man, even when he only plays 8 guys.

However, I do disagree with your disdain for Jeff Green. If GM Stan can con Ainge into trading Jeff Green, then I would do it, yesterday.

Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next