Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+9
Sissy1946
Go Stones!
merc
Sebastian
deusXango
Murph
Sparma
Phil-Good
Fennis Dembo
13 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Pistons backcourt

Post  deusXango Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:52 am

Sebastian, I'm with you all the way with your post on the plight of our big men; we need sound PG play, first of all, and a stable SG. To those ends, I'm ready to see Dinwiddie on the floor with KCP!

Remember how we clamored for Monroe and Drummond to be played together and Lil' Larry flat out refused to play them together, for any length of time, and now we have Smith in the mix still without knowing for sure how well Monroe and Drummond can be together; we've got snapshots and that's not good enough for me. Signing Jennings was a f@cked up decision by Joe and I'll go to my grave believing that! SVG has to "man up" and trade his ass or bring him off the bench A.S.A.P.! With Meeks out until December, start Dinwiddie and KCP now to see how they play together (possibly our future starting backcourt), and when Meeks returns play him on the 2nd unit with Jennings; if Jennings goes into a funk, play Augustin, it's as simple as that.

As soon as Martin decides to get back out on the court, start him at SF (a position he's won, but not played) and bring Drummond off the bench; I know that's sacrilege to the jackasses who're satisfied with Andre's declining production and inability to stay on the floor, but that's not taking the long view. A bench of Drummond, J.J., Singler/Butler, Meeks, and Jennings/Augustin could become one of the more formidable benches in the league, meanwhile Bower could be working toward a deal to trade Smith for an upgraded SF (hell no, I ain't talking about Jeff Green!!!) and draft pick(s) by the trade deadline. Once Smith is gone, reinstate Drummond to the starting lineup (hopefully he'll have gotten his sh!t together by then) and we have the best starting unit, based on the players on our roster, possible: Monroe, Drummond, Dinwiddie, KCP, and a yet to be determined SF. Anthony is a hell of a replacement for Drummond coming off the bench, for the remainder of the year.

This all starts and ends with the decisions to be made concerning the state of our backcourt; I'm tired of watching the Pistons being led by a PG only interested in his personal statistics, but can't make those around him better, play defense, or shot the ball. Jennings really can't shot worth a sh!t. I'm not impressed with his assist numbers (7-8 at best and 95% of them come in the first half) when the team is frozen out and not seeing the ball at "crunch time." A successful PG leads his team to victory by using all the offensive tools he has at his disposal in the second half and those tools aren't only his, but his team mates! I can't imagine, sight unseen, Dinwiddie being any worse.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty OUR Bigs?

Post  Sebastian Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 am

Can WE all agree that the poor and oftentimes inconsistent play from OUR bigs, especially Dre and Moose and even Josh for that matter is attributed to the inadequate PG play, especially from OUR starting PG?

Yes, OUR bigs are not as dominant offensively or defensively, as WE and everyone who follows the League thinks that they should be. OUR front line should dominate at both ends of the floor. If they were more efficient on the offensive end of the floor, I have no doubts that they would be equally as impressive on the defensive end.

But, the reason why OUR bigs are so horrid is because of the inadequate play from OUR PGs. As I have written before, WE have two very good back-up PGs in the persons of B. Jennings and D.J. Augustin. Again, in my opinion, it has become clear that after 5 years (Jennings) and 6 years (D.J.) both are back-ups.

B. Jennings does not have the cerebral balance to be a starting PG. The dude doesn't even have a right hand! D.J., like B. Jennings, is just to damn small. And, if you have counted, these guys probably dribble while going nowhere far more than any other PGs in the League.

These two guys are so far behind say, Mike Conley Jr. that it ain't even funny. And, Mike Conley Jr. is probably somewhere between the 10th-14th of the better PGs currently in the League.

Sadly, I think that WE may be stuck with B. Jennings for the remainder of his contract. There probably is not another team in the League that can or will accommodate his contract or his style of play.

Damn, damn, damn!!! mad
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Role players

Post  Phil-Good Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:29 am

I think Detroit should dump Josh Smith for sure.

But really, I don't have A major problem with any of the other guys on the team. B.Jennings could be the exception. But I believe you can ride Jennings until A good trade comes along or until his contract ends. he only has 1 season left on it after this basketball season is up.

Singler, D.J. Jones Jerebko, and Martin. To me, these are glue guys. I have no problem keeping these guys around with Drummonds, KCP, (Monroe if possible) and the Rookie PG.

No they not stars or even starters but they play hard and they can help anybody in the league win games or hit open shots and dive on the floor for lose balls. Keep these guys.. ESPECIALLY FOR THE RIGHT PRICE!!

not 1 guy on that list will go 2 for 18 and keep shooting. IT will never happen.

The rest of the team I would clean house and pray we luck up on A great player or two. Even A all star or two.
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  deusXango Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:38 am

Strengths: An experienced champion and winner at the college level, Singler has as impressive a resume’ as any prospect in this class … A 4-year starter who was an impact player at Duke as soon as he put on the uniform … At 6’9 and the 228 lb frame he has worked hard on, he has good size for the SF spot he’ll likely occupy for year to come at the NBA level … Very unselfish player who acceted and understood his role at Duke and played it beautifully … Has an effective jump shot with soft touch and the height and release to get it off easily … Is effective off screens and in transition with his shot … High IQ player, who is good at finding openings and usually makes smart decisions when he has the ball … Displays adequate passing and ball-handling skills … Highly competitive, and plays with good intensity and energy … Not a bad rebounder on the wing ...

Weaknesses: Singler could struggle with his below average athleticism at the next level … Will struggle on D, and will have to do little things like take charges and hustle hard to not be a complete non-factor on that end … Is pretty stiff laterally, and can be blown by off the bounce, even by players with middling athleticism … Scouts waited 4 years for Singler to emerge into an elite shooter, but he never did and was largely just decent … Struggled particularly badly with his shot as a Sr. (32% from 3-point range) … Misses too many open shots to be considered a pure shooter, and is prone to long stretches of inefficient shooting … Wasn’t overly effective as a slasher at Duke and struggled badly finishing around the rim, so that problem will be compounded against NBA defenders … For someone with his experience and IQ, putting up more assists than turnovers in 3 of his 4 years in college is a concern … Plays below the rim … Singler tunred 23 on May 4th further limiting his upside as he's a year older than the average senior ...

Overall: Singler has the winning resume’ and the size to garner first round consideration … He is a well-known commodity and teams probably were higher on him during last years draft … Still, his disappointing Sr. season (especially as a shooter), his lack of athleticism and his probable struggles on D raised some doubt on where he is going to be picked and how effective he’ll be at the next level … It's safe to say, he probably would’ve been much better off declaring last year ...

Jorrye Nixon 6/10/11
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:16 am

Oracle wrote:
Fennis Dembo wrote:Top Ten List of Things Josh Smith Has Been Accused Of by Pistons Fans

10. Caused Joe Dumars weight gain by deep frying Twinkies for him.
9. Last person seen with Jimmy Hoffa before he disappeared.
8. Conspired with Yoko Ono to break up the Beatles.
7. Told Donald Sterling to trust his heart and follow his Johnson.
6. Ran through the Palace yelling, "Ebola outbreak! Ebola outbreak!"

5. Told George W. Bush he had seen weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
4. Designed the Pistons teal uniforms.
3. Was Donald Trump's hairdresser who convinced him that the comb-over was a good look for him.
2. Had a grudge against rappers Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G.
1. Told Stan Van Gundy to stop being so positive about the team.

It was Josh Smith on the grassy knoll who thought he was pheasant hunting... he never could shoot straight! lol
Thanks guys... clap
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty LOL!!! And here is one more!

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Fennis Dembo wrote:Top Ten List of Things Josh Smith Has Been Accused Of by Pistons Fans

3. Was Donald Trump's hairdresser who convinced him that the comb-over was a good look for him.

It was Josh Smith on the grassy knoll who thought he was pheasant hunting... he never could shoot straight! lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Pistons Fans vs. Josh Smith

Post  Fennis Dembo Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Top Ten List of Things Josh Smith Has Been Accused Of by Pistons Fans

Fennis Dembo

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Cool

Post  Sparma Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks Cool. I know you know your (Western) prospects, so I'm heartened by your enthusiasm for Dinwiddie. My reservations concern his health; even so, I think we made a terrific 2nd round pick.

cool breeze wrote:
Sparma wrote:The Josh Smith miss, paired with the Butler make was huge.  Here's David Mayo of mlive at the time: "Gasol scores.  Smith jacks 26-footer.  Misses.  Butler jacks from 25.  Doesn't miss.  95-88.  Game."   Could Detroit have come back?  Yes, but real unlikely.  Was the Smith heave an ill-considered, low probability, untimely play?  Yes.  Did Smith have a good game on the whole?  Yes.   Specifically, I was again impressed by his passing.

I don't want to be called a hater when I don't hate.   Not the kind of remark that encourages free exchange of perspectives among fans.  I appreciate the passion and it's fine to disagree, but I don't want to be called names.

I cited David Mayo in part because he prides himself on not having a fan's stake in the Pistons.   In his follow up column, he lists quite a laundry list of Piston problems, only a fraction of which have to do with Josh Smith.  I agree with that list.  As the all-time highest paid Piston, Smith bears more responsibility than, say, Joel Anthony, but there's plenty of blame to go around.

Mayo on the Pistons: "They lack a go-to scorer. They don't shoot free throws well. They don't have a guard who is both dynamic with the ball and a dead-eye shooter. They don't finish well at the basket. Shot selection, offensive execution and defensive attentiveness all have wandered awry in late-game situations."

Great job on this post Sparma. The last paragraph where you quote Mayo is fantastic. As the highest paid player, Smith is not a go-to-scorer. Monroe who would like a max contract is not a go-to-scorer. There is zero offensive execution in late-game situations. Players do not move or set screens. The point guards who are not "dynamic with the ball" or "dead-eye shooters" try to create but lack of options because the other 4 players are standing around makes it difficult for the team to be successful. I would add one other factor that came into play in this game. Our point guards cannot defend guards like Rose who is a "go-to scorer". I had the feeling that Rose could have scored anytime is wanted to penetrate with the ball.

I watched Spencer Dinwiddie play a lot of basketball at Colorado. He can effectively defend bigger point guards and he is a PLAY MAKER by nature. The only reason that I can think of as to why he is not getting playing time is that he is still recovering from the ACL injury. My bet is that he is primed to get an opportunity. In his only appearance, he played the off guard. SVG must be worried about team chemistry issues if Jennings or Augustin have to give up their minutes for Spencer. Maybe it is screw the second round draft pick rookie time regardless of what might be best for the team. Or perhaps Jennings and Augustin are better practice players than Dinwiddie. Smith and Jennings are tight. Coach might be playing politics or Dinwiddie has lost some his stuff because of that knee injury.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Drummond

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Who is Andre Drummond?

I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is. (V)

Its Time To Bench Andre Drummond
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Oracle wishing OUR roster had ....

Post  Sebastian Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:57 pm

Oracle wrote:Sort of defines why young players sometimes struggle unless they come into the league with an already built NBA body(LeBron)!

KCP doesn’t have anywhere near – at least right now – Jimmy Butler’s level of strength,” Van Gundy said. “(Caldwell-Pope) is more of a two guard. Jimmy Butler can defend both twos and threes. Jimmy Butler is one of the most forceful, strongest perimeter defenders in the league. I think KCP brings the same level of determination to get the job done. He’s got great quickness. I don’t have any doubts that he can be a great perimeter defender in this league as he learns more. I’m happy with his progress at that end.”

Butler’s listed weight gives him 15 pounds on Caldwell-Pope and that might be low-balling it. He’s also 4 years older. When Caldwell-Pope is 25, he’ll look and carry himself much differently, but Van Gundy’s bet that he’ll grow into an elite perimeter defender seems on firm ground. - SVG

Same goes for Drummond & Monroe! When these dudes hit 25/26, they're going to be freaking BEASTS!!!

It took Shaq years to realize his dominance, Howard is just now figuring out that he's likely the best there is right now.

These are kids going up against men, and while that explains some things, it doesn't explain everything, but it's a factor!

Guards:
SVG had great success with small guards! Unfortunately, these guards are small in two dimensions! Small in height and small in girth!

When he had Nelson, Nelson had a sturdy body to bang with, our guards can't bang with my sister!

We really do miss the change of pace that a Bynum type(not him) brings if you're going to go small. But why go small anyway? We need a guard in the 6'4 area, 6'3 minimum with some upper body strength, or at least projected to add weight.

Oracle wrote: We need a guard in the 6'4 area, 6'3 minimum with some upper body strength, or at least projected to add weight. Sounds like, Rodney Norvell Stuckey to me. WE should have resigned Stuckey!
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty This observation by SVG...

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Sort of defines why young players sometimes struggle unless they come into the league with an already built NBA body(LeBron)!

KCP doesn’t have anywhere near – at least right now – Jimmy Butler’s level of strength,” Van Gundy said. “(Caldwell-Pope) is more of a two guard. Jimmy Butler can defend both twos and threes. Jimmy Butler is one of the most forceful, strongest perimeter defenders in the league. I think KCP brings the same level of determination to get the job done. He’s got great quickness. I don’t have any doubts that he can be a great perimeter defender in this league as he learns more. I’m happy with his progress at that end.”

Butler’s listed weight gives him 15 pounds on Caldwell-Pope and that might be low-balling it. He’s also 4 years older. When Caldwell-Pope is 25, he’ll look and carry himself much differently, but Van Gundy’s bet that he’ll grow into an elite perimeter defender seems on firm ground. - SVG

Same goes for Drummond & Monroe! When these dudes hit 25/26, they're going to be freaking BEASTS!!!

It took Shaq years to realize his dominance, Howard is just now figuring out that he's likely the best there is right now.

These are kids going up against men, and while that explains some things, it doesn't explain everything, but it's a factor!

Guards:
SVG had great success with small guards! Unfortunately, these guards are small in two dimensions! Small in height and small in girth!

When he had Nelson, Nelson had a sturdy body to bang with, our guards can't bang with my sister!

We really do miss the change of pace that a Bynum type(not him) brings if you're going to go small. But why go small anyway? We need a guard in the 6'4 area, 6'3 minimum with some upper body strength, or at least projected to add weight.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Sparma wrote:The Josh Smith miss, paired with the Butler make was huge.  Here's David Mayo of mlive at the time: "Gasol scores.  Smith jacks 26-footer.  Misses.  Butler jacks from 25.  Doesn't miss.  95-88.  Game."   Could Detroit have come back?  Yes, but real unlikely.  Was the Smith heave an ill-considered, low probability, untimely play?  Yes.  Did Smith have a good game on the whole?  Yes.   Specifically, I was again impressed by his passing.

I don't want to be called a hater when I don't hate.   Not the kind of remark that encourages free exchange of perspectives among fans.  I appreciate the passion and it's fine to disagree, but I don't want to be called names.

I cited David Mayo in part because he prides himself on not having a fan's stake in the Pistons.   In his follow up column, he lists quite a laundry list of Piston problems, only a fraction of which have to do with Josh Smith.  I agree with that list.  As the all-time highest paid Piston, Smith bears more responsibility than, say, Joel Anthony, but there's plenty of blame to go around.

Mayo on the Pistons: "They lack a go-to scorer. They don't shoot free throws well. They don't have a guard who is both dynamic with the ball and a dead-eye shooter. They don't finish well at the basket. Shot selection, offensive execution and defensive attentiveness all have wandered awry in late-game situations."

Great job on this post Sparma. The last paragraph where you quote Mayo is fantastic. As the highest paid player, Smith is not a go-to-scorer. Monroe who would like a max contract is not a go-to-scorer. There is zero offensive execution in late-game situations. Players do not move or set screens. The point guards who are not "dynamic with the ball" or "dead-eye shooters" try to create but lack of options because the other 4 players are standing around makes it difficult for the team to be successful. I would add one other factor that came into play in this game. Our point guards cannot defend guards like Rose who is a "go-to scorer". I had the feeling that Rose could have scored anytime is wanted to penetrate with the ball.

I watched Spencer Dinwiddie play a lot of basketball at Colorado. He can effectively defend bigger point guards and he is a PLAY MAKER by nature. The only reason that I can think of as to why he is not getting playing time is that he is still recovering from the ACL injury. My bet is that he is primed to get an opportunity. In his only appearance, he played the off guard. SVG must be worried about team chemistry issues if Jennings or Augustin have to give up their minutes for Spencer. Maybe it is screw the second round draft pick rookie time regardless of what might be best for the team. Or perhaps Jennings and Augustin are better practice players than Dinwiddie. Smith and Jennings are tight. Coach might be playing politics or Dinwiddie has lost some his stuff because of that knee injury.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Well, Actually Yeah I Did

Post  lemonpen Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:41 pm

WISEFAN wrote:
Oracle wrote:Wise is in denial about Josh and I can tell when he starts making stuff up to argue against! Hey Wise, nobody said Josh lost us the game, but when you're down by 2 and the dummy takes a 3 with plenty of clock left and sparks their run, it's time to break out the BBallIQ tests!

Again if that shot was taking by anyone but Josh would you and other be making this same claim of it sparking a run.  SVG thought it was a good shot, I wasn't bother my the shot either he was open he missed and I could go with all the coulda woulda shoulda but don't see the point of it when this could be any player at any given time and point of a game.  

Really had Butler did the same thing would you all be bent out of shape.  True Josh isn't the best option we have on that shot but at the time he was he was already 1-1 on 3's who to say he wouldn't be 2-2 even with the odds not in his favor it was still possible.  Taking that shot doesn't make him dumb is all I'm saying.

You have no player movement he's open and the lanes are defended he's open take the shot and I would expect that from any player on the team.

The Knicks comeback from 17 down with 6 min to go was triggered by the exact same "stupidity". I specifically called out DJ Augustine for sprinting up court and firing an errant trey with 19 on the shot clock. A couple of more decisions like that helped get NY easy opportunities just like it did the Bulls.

KENNETH FARIED WAS TELLING THE TRUTH.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty 20 games, then what?

Post  Sebastian Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Oracle wrote:I don't really want to have to defend a player 6 games into the season, but if I truly thought Josh was a major cause of failure here I would be the first to say trade him. - Wise

Wise, that's why I said we're talking about a snapshot in time!

After 20 games, we'll know a lot better where we are.

The day after a bitter loss has us focusing on the negative, but there were a lot of positives in that game!

This team is close and we're missing significant parts, which unfortunately forces the spotlight on Josh, but he's being paid to take it, IMO!

My opinion is that everybody will get a lot better, but it takes time.

Oracle, I agree with your 20-game assessment. At that point in the season, nearly 1/4 done, WE should ALL be in agreement on the 2014-2015 state of OUR Pistons.

If WE are no better than 6-14, at the 20-game mark, then Head Coach Stan will need to have some serious discussions with GM Stan. If WE are no better than 6-14, at the 20-game mark then moves will certainly need to be made.

But, what I worry about is that WE just very well be no better than 6-14 at the 20-game mark and want be able to pawn any of OUR roster off to sucker GM.

This current roster is quickly becoming a serious, catch-22.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty My Early Take

Post  WTF Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 pm

It's hard for me to go into complaint mode with this team and these players right now even though there are something I'm not liking at the moment but it's too early for me make conclusion. There are some things I'm surprised with starting with Josh Smith.

1. I'm not really sure how I feel about Josh bulking up I thought he defended the PF while enough at his size last season. This season the bulking seem to have slowed him and made him less athletic which is what I think is contributing to his poor shooting around the basket.

2. Andre I see a lot of improvement offensively but defensively he seemed to regressed some, he's not really thinking as much as he should on the defensive end maybe it gets better maybe it doesn't but opposing big are having their way with him.

3. Jennings I thought would get better with having Augustin on his tail but he still having lapses and that's not good. we simply don't have a PG that can direct a team and it's offense or make smart plays consistently.

4. SVG rotations, he seem to fall into starting Josh, Greg and Andre but quickly adjust with going with only 2 of them. But 3 game he has rotated only 8 players and that I'm not feeling. He has to consistently go 9-10 in the rotation the team played back to back and you only go 8 deep on the back end. Not a good thing.

I still expect the team to get it together and win 44 games.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparma Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:14 pm

The Josh Smith miss, paired with the Butler make was huge. Here's David Mayo of mlive at the time: "Gasol scores. Smith jacks 26-footer. Misses. Butler jacks from 25. Doesn't miss. 95-88. Game." Could Detroit have come back? Yes, but real unlikely. Was the Smith heave an ill-considered, low probability, untimely play? Yes. Did Smith have a good game on the whole? Yes. Specifically, I was again impressed by his passing.

I don't want to be called a hater when I don't hate. Not the kind of remark that encourages free exchange of perspectives among fans. I appreciate the passion and it's fine to disagree, but I don't want to be called names.

I cited David Mayo in part because he prides himself on not having a fan's stake in the Pistons. In his follow up column, he lists quite a laundry list of Piston problems, only a fraction of which have to do with Josh Smith. I agree with that list. As the all-time highest paid Piston, Smith bears more responsibility than, say, Joel Anthony, but there's plenty of blame to go around.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty I Saw What You Saw I Just See It Differently

Post  WTF Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Oracle wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:
Oracle wrote:Wise is in denial about Josh and I can tell when he starts making stuff up to argue against! Hey Wise, nobody said Josh lost us the game, but when you're down by 2 and the dummy takes a 3 with plenty of clock left and sparks their run, it's time to break out the BBallIQ tests!

Again if that shot was taking by anyone but Josh would you and other be making this same claim of it sparking a run.  SVG thought it was a good shot, I wasn't bother my the shot either he was open he missed and I could go with all the coulda woulda shoulda but don't see the point of it when this could be any player at any given time and point of a game.  

Really had Butler did the same thing would you all be bent out of shape.  True Josh isn't the best option we have on that shot but at the time he was he was already 1-1 on 3's who to say he wouldn't be 2-2 even with the odds not in his favor it was still possible.  Taking that shot doesn't make him dumb is all I'm saying.

You have no player movement he's open and the lanes are defended he's open take the shot and I would expect that from any player on the team.

Yes, I absolutely would make the same claim, what happened is FACT, not opinion, but I might not have blamed them for taking the shot like I do with Josh!

If a guy takes that shot that is known to be able to make it, I have a different reaction because we gave it our best shot and it failed. Josh isn't capable of making that shot at a high enough clip to take it with plenty of clock, he needed to look for a higher percentage shot, but why you don't see that is the problem.

What about judging what actually happened are you missing?

But it's not just me, this is OBVIOUS to anybody that watched the game and almost everybody who didn't.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/11/stan-van-gundy-after-pistons-latest-loss-we-didnt-guard-anybody-we-didnt-compete/ wrote:The Pistons had their chances late against the Bulls on Monday, fighting back from a double-digit fourth quarter deficit to pull within just two points with 2:26 remaining. Of course, a horrible decision by Josh Smith to launch an ill-advised three a couple of possessions later doomed Detroit’s chances, and once Jimmy Butler knocked down a three of his own, the game was effectively sealed in Chicago’s favor.

Not impress with the media take as they're are all in the blame Josh mode of reporting on this team. They also feed the fan frenzy on the Josh subject as well. SVG say's the team didn't defend and compete which is why they loss but the writer continue to go on with the Josh thing. Rather this was truly a turning point really is a matter of opinion, but what the write avoids mentioning is that we don't get within 2 points without Josh, but it's just 2 easy to jump on Josh.

Come on Oracle you know this is over-kill and over-reaction.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Fair enough...

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 pm

I don't really want to have to defend a player 6 games into the season, but if I truly thought Josh was a major cause of failure here I would be the first to say trade him. - Wise

Wise, that's why I said we're talking about a snapshot in time!

After 20 games, we'll know a lot better where we are.

The day after a bitter loss has us focusing on the negative, but there were a lot of positives in that game!

This team is close and we're missing significant parts, which unfortunately forces the spotlight on Josh, but he's being paid to take it, IMO!

My opinion is that everybody will get a lot better, but it takes time.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Good coaching adjustments made before the start of the 3rd quarter. But the coaches cannot shoot free throws

Post  cool breeze Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:57 pm

First off, Josh Smith made a really strong effort in the 3rd quarter as the Pistons cut into the Bulls big lead. Everyone played with more concentration so you have to ask the question as to what was going on with the players in the first half of that game?

Monroe shows up well in the stat sheet in the category of rebounding but he could get 7 more rebounds a game if he would just correct his worst flaw when playing defense. Greg seems to always look tired when playing defense. Maybe he is tired but there is no excuse for not getting your arms up at least after an opponent attempts a shot regardless of where the shot is attempted. I see Greg Monroe with his arms down at his side after the shot. Arron Brooks was standing behind Monroe after Gasol attempted a shot when Monroe was standing on the left side low block. All Greg had to do is get his damn arms up before the ball hit the rim or backboard. This basic fundamentals that players are taught in junior high school. So the ball goes about 3 inches over Greg's head and Brooks comes up with the rebound. Sure enough, the Bulls score with that 2nd chance opportunity. Come on Piston coaches get these big guys up to speed at least on the basics of playing defense and rebounding.

FREE THROW SHOOTING ISSUES CONTINUE AS THEY HAVE FOR THE PAST FEW SEASONS. DO THE PLAYERS HAVE ANY PRIDE IN THEMSELVES? DO THEY PRACTICE THIS LOST ART IN THE OFF SEASON?????

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  WTF Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Oracle wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:We would be 6-0 and all would be right in the world and with this team if Josh wasn't on it.  At least that's what I'm gathering from all the hate on Josh Smith talk.  

Sadly not only Josh has to take the blame for his own failings in games he also has to assume the failings of others because he either indirectly or directly caused them because he missed a shot.  

Apparently he's individually responsible for all the miss FT's and 3's, all the defensive lapses, all the turnovers, all the fouls, teams score all the points on Josh, and so on.  Apparently he gets all of this responsibility because he makes the most money on the team.

But I don't think it's the resentment of his contract more than it is scapegoating him for the failures of everyone else on the team. Of course Singler would be better and Andre would never foul out of games and Moose would be staying if Josh wasn't here.  Let's not forget Josh got Joe canned and Cheeks fired you see Josh kept us from winning yesterday because he played a good game and seem to be coming out his slump, but if he didn't play yesterday we were almost a shoe in to win.

DAMN YOU JOSH SMITH!!!!!

Shows how biased you really are!

You just made up a theory that nobody could support based on what has been said... it's pure fiction!

I get it that Josh is one of your favorites, I have no problem with that, in fact it was your comments that changed my mind about bringing him here.

But according to you, the highest paid player has no responsibility more than the lowest paid player, and that player shouldn't shoulder the lions share of the blame, shows how weak Josh really is.

Yes Josh is my favorite player but I'm showing no bias, no Josh shouldn't shoulder the LIONS share of blame when this team loses. This more then any other sport is a team sport. When I defend Josh its merely saying that his mistakes shouldn't be overly magnified because he makes 13 million a season nor should alone be responsible when this team win or loses games.

My theory was a made up response to all the made up theories levied at Josh. Made up or not this is what many posters seem to project when they go on to bash Josh. He's the most consistent all-around player on the team on both ends yet get all the blame when no one else deliver the same consistency game in game out.

I don't really want to have to defend a player 6 games into the season, but if I truly thought Josh was a major cause of failure here I would be the first to say trade him.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Partially right...

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 pm

WISEFAN wrote:

Yes, I absolutely would make the same claim, what happened is FACT, not opinion, but I might not have blamed them for taking the shot like I do with Josh!

If a guy takes that shot that is known to be able to make it, I have a different reaction because we gave it our best shot and it failed. Josh isn't capable of making that shot at a high enough clip to take it with plenty of clock, he needed to look for a higher percentage shot, but why you don't see that is the problem.

What about judging what actually happened are you missing?

But it's not just me, this is OBVIOUS to anybody that watched the game and almost everybody who didn't.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/11/stan-van-gundy-after-pistons-latest-loss-we-didnt-guard-anybody-we-didnt-compete/ wrote:The Pistons had their chances late against the Bulls on Monday, fighting back from a double-digit fourth quarter deficit to pull within just two points with 2:26 remaining. Of course, a horrible decision by Josh Smith to launch an ill-advised three a couple of possessions later doomed Detroit’s chances, and once Jimmy Butler knocked down a three of his own, the game was effectively sealed in Chicago’s favor.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Oracle

Post  WTF Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Again if that shot was taking by anyone but Josh would you and other be making this same claim of it sparking a run. SVG thought it was a good shot, I wasn't bother my the shot either he was open he missed and I could go with all the coulda woulda shoulda but don't see the point of it when this could be any player at any given time and point of a game.

Really had Butler did the same thing would you all be bent out of shape. True Josh isn't the best option we have on that shot but at the time he was he was already 1-1 on 3's who to say he wouldn't be 2-2 even with the odds not in his favor it was still possible. Taking that shot doesn't make him dumb is all I'm saying.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty This statement alone..

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:35 pm

WISEFAN wrote:We would be 6-0 and all would be right in the world and with this team if Josh wasn't on it.  At least that's what I'm gathering from all the hate on Josh Smith talk.  

Sadly not only Josh has to take the blame for his own failings in games he also has to assume the failings of others because he either indirectly or directly caused them because he missed a shot.  

Apparently he's individually responsible for all the miss FT's and 3's, all the defensive lapses, all the turnovers, all the fouls, teams score all the points on Josh, and so on.  Apparently he gets all of this responsibility because he makes the most money on the team.

But I don't think it's the resentment of his contract more than it is scapegoating him for the failures of everyone else on the team. Of course Singler would be better and Andre would never foul out of games and Moose would be staying if Josh wasn't here.  Let's not forget Josh got Joe canned and Cheeks fired you see Josh kept us from winning yesterday because he played a good game and seem to be coming out his slump, but if he didn't play yesterday we were almost a shoe in to win.

DAMN YOU JOSH SMITH!!!!!

Shows how biased you really are!

You just made up a theory that nobody could support based on what has been said... it's pure fiction!

I get it that Josh is one of your favorites, I have no problem with that, in fact it was your comments that changed my mind about bringing him here.

But according to you, the highest paid player has no responsibility more than the lowest paid player, and that player shouldn't shoulder the lions share of the blame, shows how weak Josh really is.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Don't confuse SVG the coach with SVG the GM

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Coach SVG has been given Josh and he needs him, especially since Monroe is likely a goner!

So don't confuse him paying a mentally needy Josh compliments, because they're not true.

He wants Josh gone, but as coach, he has no other options, so he needs to keep him happy!

They say anybody can be traded, but IMO, Josh is seriously going to test that theory!

SVG the GM should be kicking himself for not taking whatever the Kings were giving up for Josh.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Apparently

Post  WTF Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:21 pm

We would be 6-0 and all would be right in the world and with this team if Josh wasn't on it. At least that's what I'm gathering from all the hate on Josh Smith talk.

Apparently he's individually responsible for all the miss FT's and 3's, all the defensive lapses, all the turnovers, all the fouls, teams score all the points on Josh, and so on. Apparently he gets all of this responsibility because he makes the most money on the team.

But I don't think it's the resentment of his contract more than it is scapegoating him for the failures of everyone else on the team. Of course Singler would be better and Andre would never foul out of games and Moose would be staying if Josh wasn't here. Let's not forget Josh got Joe canned and Cheeks fired you see Josh kept us from winning yesterday because he played a good game and seem to be coming out his slump, but if he didn't play yesterday we were almost a shoe in to win.

DAMN YOU JOSH SMITH!!!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next