Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
Phil-Good
BallinD
Sparma
WTF
deusXango
Oracle
10 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty High IQ

Post  Oracle Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 am

Don doesn't understand that there is of course, player BBIQ, but there is also system IQ that can override the players IQ.

Don sees players playing in a good system and conveys the system IQ to the player because he doesn't quite get it. This Pistons Management team has a high IQ because they are trying something that could work very well if they can implement it.

Why did they go out and get two guys known for defense as their main calling card? Why did they believe they had a chance with two bruiser bigs when everybody else was going small? The answer lies here...

When the league zigs, sometimes it makes sense to zag. In fact, that’s exactly how Golden State broke the mold and accelerated the process of moving the NBA towards the era of pace and space. The Warriors were definitely not the first team to do it, but they made it fashionable. - Steve Kerr thinks the Pistons are unique

So what's the Pistons plan? It's rather simple, the Pistons are looking to do what the rest of the league isn't doing. It's sort of the plan where you look at the weaknesses of your opponents and attack them early and often, and turn their strengths into weaknesses. Here are the weaknesses of the majority of the teams.

1. From going small, they can't deal with bruising bigs in the post. Detroit has a real strength advantage over most teams.
2. They all want to shoot 3's, so a major part of your plan is to defend the 3 point line as effectively as possible.

If you can accomplish those goals, it doesn't guarantee the win, but it does guarantee that the odds of winning move slightly in your direction, and if the Pistons shooting comes around, their odds of winning goes through the roof.

This is basketball IQ, and it's coming from both the GM & Coach, who knew what their plan was from jump street. Will it work? It's unclear right now, they have a lot of outstanding issues to work through.

However, I give them major credit for having a solid plan, because that's what we should expect, and they've delivered on the first step.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty High IQ Suns Lose Again

Post  Murph Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Don....I’m really surprised you had time to watch our low IQ Pistons beating the Warriors.  

I thought you’d be spending your time watching your high IQ Suns losing another one at home to the Magic.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Good to see that a lot of fans attended the game - remember the times when that would be a regular occurrence?

Post  cool breeze Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Golden State is on it's good will tour playing on the road to help with the attendance figures for teams that did not make the playoffs last season. they can afford to lose a few games on this road trip playing without key players. AD started the game really pumped up after a few less than spectacular performances. Then with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, he once again proved that it would be very wise to trade our big man while his is worth a high draft pick and a solid vet player. Andre made 4 big mistakes in a row in that segment as well as failing to run hard back on defense to allow a layup by his assigned man. Imagine having a Ben Wallace type center along with a top tier skill player to compliment Blake Griffin in the future. That could happen in the next draft if the Pistons could snag a top 4 pick. AD lost his confidence at the foul line and must be very upset today. I am sure he will recover though because his technique is much better than the days when he was regularly intentionally fouled.

Good game by Brown and Jackson. BG of course was a big factor but he needs to play a lot smarter and not force so many shot attempts if this team is going to get better. Good win. Keep it going Detroit Pistons.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Plenty of work to do before any respect comes, but...

Post  Oracle Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Sparma, you need to give them a little more respect. You said,

"Thank goodness Durant and Klay were cold from three (2-12)" - Sparma

The Pistons are the #1 team in the league in defending the 3 point shot!

While both things could be true, everything points to the Pistons defense being a major cause of forcing them to take alternative shots.

Edit: "They're tough. They got after us defensively," Golden State coach Steve Kerr said. "They were more physical than we were. And they play a more traditional 4/5 combination with size and strength, so they're unique in that regard, but I was very impressed."Gauging how much stock to put in another strong Pistons start

Murph, you're right, that OU game was impressive, if anybody gets in it should be them. They avenged their only loss, Texas, and while their defense is average, their offense if very robust!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty OSU

Post  Murph Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:31 pm

Ohio State has no shot at the college playoffs.  Oklahoma had to lose today for OSU to get in.

When they were ranked 10th in the nation 2 weeks ago behind Washington State, West Virginia, LSU and UCF...you knew they weren't getting in. They get no respect and probably don't deserve it.

That was a surprisingly strong showing on the part of the Pistons against a short handed Warriors team, on the second night of a back to back.  

But I would still be happy with a .500 December.  Anything above .500, and we all might have to raise our expectations for this team and their coach.

Last edited by Murph on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty PS on Ohio State

Post  Sparma Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 pm

I don't think Ohio State makes the College Football Playoffs.

For me, losing to a team once, but then also beating them -- a la Oklahoma v Texas -- is similar to a tie. At least, it's a better loss than getting trounced by Purdue, as happened to Ohio State.

Not sure how to feel about that as a Michigan fan. On the one hand, if OS went on to be college champion, it might make our thrashing by them look a little better. On the other hand, if they end up champs, they get further recruiting advantages and the beatdown continues.

Guess I hoping that they don't make the playoffs. But then that means we don't make make the Rose Bowl, with that bowl offering the greatest opportunity for redemption (in the eyes of recruits). Torn.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty GS

Post  Sparma Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Impressive win, indeed.

I thought they stood a decent chance against GS with Green out, but that was working from the assumption that Curry would show some rust.  That didn't really happen though, although 3-9 from distance is hardly great.  [Also, he did get off to a slow start before gaining steam, so maybe he did show rust.] Thank goodness Durant and Klay were cold from three (2-12).

Great stuff off the bench, and particularly from Stanley.  Once Green's back, and Cousins, GS still should have enough superiority in the front five to get another title (last one?).  At some point the money runs out though, and you've got to beat their bench, which we did today.

Strong play from our best 3 tonight too.

13-7 at the ballyhooed 20 game mark.  With Murph, I'm still expecting a significant dip through December.  Even though, through twenty, I liked last year's 14-6 team more than this year's 13-7 team, I feel this is a more resilient group, more dedicated to the coach, more responsive to him, and I continue to expect us to do better for the season than last year's group.

Last edited by Sparma on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Impressive Win...

Post  Oracle Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Stanley may be finally coming of age, and all it took was a coach smart enough to play him to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.

Makes you wonder how many other good players we've had that would have been better with better coaching.

It's really all about coaching, the talent differences can be mitigated if the coaching gets every ounce out of the talent present.

Casey is doing very good with this group, but his most impressive result has been his elevation of Stanley Johnson.

BTW, and this performance happened on the back end of a back to back... impressive!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty So far so good...

Post  Oracle Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:15 pm

They're playing tough defense, and that's the ONLY way they're going to get through December breaking even or better.

Stanley Johnson continues to come up BIG, GR3 still putting up goose eggs. For what ever reason starting SF gets frozen out of the offense on this team.

Pistons: 54 - 46
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Stuff

Post  Oracle Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:23 pm

@Sparma/@Murph: Yes, the schedule is a MONSTER in December! IMO, we're likely dogs in every one of those contests, so we will be heavily tested. Don would say we're not better than any of those teams, and according to the general consensus in NBA circles, he's right. But if they lose all of those games with teams that Don says are better, he'll still jump on the team, coach and management for doing what he said they would do  lol 

I, however, am a fan, and I won't insult anybody by saying what I hate that people say... "I'm a TRUE fan". I believe you can be critical like Don & Wise and also be true fans, however I believe that the Pistons can, and probably should beat some of these guys, especially at home.

The Warriors on the other hand, IMO, are just way too good for me to expect a win. Even short handed they gave Toronto all they could handle and I felt like the Raptors rubbed a rabbits foot to get that win. Good luck Pistons in less than a hour.

@Ballin: If Luke can stay healthy, I think he has star potential on the order of Reddick & Korver type shooting. What I do love about Kennard is that he's very crafty and can get to the basket with fakes and play some point guard. I know some here would like him to be a PG, but I don't see him ever being good enough to beat out a real PG... ever. If Luke is our PG, then something is terribly wrong with our team, IMO.

@Murph: BTW, I would love to hear Wise's explanation for what seems like illogical reasoning to me. I'm more pissed at the Lions inept handling of everything than I am with the Pistons. I'm upset about UM's loss, but at least they're good.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Fun Times

Post  BallinD Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Luke's Back.  It's time to join the Big Boys and do some Big Damage.

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty High Water Mark

Post  Murph Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 am

Nice game last night.  The Pistons took are of business early, and then held on to a comfortable lead all night.  

Griffin had a double-double. Drummond almost had another 20-20 night, along with 4 blocks.  

But the story of the night was Reggie Jackson's play.  RJ had 20 points, including 6-8 from the 3 pt line.  We're going to need him to play like that during this upcoming stretch of games in December.  

We'll also need Kennard back and playing well.

And speaking of this brutal stretch of games, this 12-7 mark could very well be the high water mark for the season.  We're currently in 4th place in the East, 1/2 game ahead of the Pacers, and playing at a .632 clip.  If only we could end the season in 4th place, playing the Pacers in the 1st round...  

But most likely, that's a fantasy.  Realistically, if we can play .500 ball for the month of December and not get mired in an extended slump, we'll be extremely lucky.  Let's see what kind of character this team is really made of.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  Sparma Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Where did the Levine go from the last time we played them?

Wendell Carter looked like a star, at least for the third quarter.

Reggie J on fire, also from distance. Maybe he read that critical article summarized here? Reggie B, 3-9 from 3, but drove nicely to the basket a number of time. Kelser commented he likes to see that kind of balance. Stanley 0-4 from distance. Do we think the odds are better than 50/50 of him averaging 30+% from 3 this year?

Kyrie Thomas with a nice drive for a score at the end of the game.

Looks like we've got six straight games coming up where we'll be the underdog. Much will be revealed!

Murph, I'm afraid Don may get the last laugh concerning Phoenix. I like their future more than ours.

Still, here we sit at 12-7. Who would have thunk it?
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Is this you?

Post  Oracle Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Does every day you wake up look like this?
FORUM - Page 5 Doom-And-Gloom

In your bathroom do you see this on one of the walls?
FORUM - Page 5 A1956546925_10

When driving, do you sometimes feel like no matter which direction you go you wind up in the same place?
FORUM - Page 5 Sitting-between-investings-doom-and-gloom-740x431

Then you just might be a Doom and Gloomer…
FORUM - Page 5 Doom%2Bgloom
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Murph wrote:"The best thing that could happen would be for the Pistons to trade SJ and AD before the trade deadline. What is AD worth? Could the Pistons get an average center who defends and draft picks for the next two or three seasons? For me to let SJ just walk without anything in return will be the last straw."

Don...I respectfully disagree.  I don't want management to blow this team up in hopes of getting really, really bad for 5 years, and then sort of bad for another 3 years.  I'm 58.  I won't live long enough to see the Pistons win again, if they blow this team up.

Concerning the Suns.  When will they start to be not terrible?  When will they start winning?  When will they be better than the Pistons?  Will they ever contend?  Will they ever win an NBA Championship?  How much luck did it take for them to win the lotter and draft Ayton?  How good will Ayton be?  Will he suffer any severe injuries during his career (heaven forbid)?  Who else will the Suns draft to help Ayton?

The point I'm trying to make is that even if you blow up a team and get really really bad, it doesn't guarantee and NBA Championship in 8 or 10 years.  However, it does guarantee misery for at least 5 years, and maybe much longer.

If you eventually win an NBA Championship, it's probably worth it to blow a team up.  If you don't, it probably isn't worth it.

"+We need to run this experiment using the scientific method because... After This Season Weggie, Ish, Galloway and Leuer Will Be Expiring and ready-made-to-trade.  Think about that!  Freedom to make a big move to get a good young PG or wing, while keeping SJ as 6th man.  Also, we could sign and then trade Bullock as a throw-in piece to a big trade.  That's Ammo!"

BallinD...you make a very good point.  If we can just hold on for 2 more years, developing our young players and drafting well, then roughly $46 million comes off the books after the 19-20 season.  With those expiring contracts, we could acquire a star or stars to add to the core of homegrown players and Griffin.

I'm beginning to like Stefanski's and Casey's vision.

I have never been a Suns fan until this season because I really do not enjoy watching a really low basketball IQ team that we have with the Pistons. I think the Suns have made the finals at least two times. I actually attended one finals game when Sir Charles played. I was amazed at how short Barkley was yet he dominated that game inside. They lost to the Bulls that year and I think Phoenix made the finals but lost to the Celtics before that.

I always respect your view Murph and hope your crystal ball is clearer than mine. As for DeAndre Ayton's chances of becoming a real All Star, many believe he is a sure thing. After watching him play every game in college, I know his basketball IQ is fantastic. He knows where his teammates are located on the floor at all times and is unselfish. His teammates know that he will pass the ball to the open man. His low post ability is much farther advanced than AD as far as knowing how to take advantage of what the defense is giving. AD is more powerful of course right now. Ayton can consistently hit jump shots from 10 feet and beyond. His ability to score from the college 3 point line was good but I am not sure if he can shoot it for a high percentage from the NBA 3 point distance. Ayton is 3rd in the NBA in rebounding stats as a rookie and he is a smart defender. Right how Ayton is so young trying to cope with the amount of games players have to deal with in the NBA. I expect next season we will see a dominating type player and he will get much better by age 24. No there is no comparison between the potential of Ayton and AD. They are two different type players of course where Ayton's favorite player is Anthony Davis. AD will have to rely on brut strength but I believe Andre could be a much more effective player if he lost 25 to 30 pounds. Notice that Stanley Johnson's body looks very different this season. He has replaced fat with muscle and looks sleek and fit on the court. Johnson was over weight for the past two seasons and was even heavier in college.

The Suns played the Pistons after being on a long road trip and having played and won an overtime game against the Bucks in Milwaukee. And of course I thought the Suns out played the Pistons until the 4th quarter. They had to play most of the game because one of their key players was kicked out of the game as well. So who is better now? I would take the Suns chances if they played in the Eastern Conference. I say that because I expect the Pistons to implode as usual in the dead of winter while the young talented Suns team will only get better.

And again don't assume that Detroit has any plans to sign Stanley Johnson even if he averages 30 points a game for the rest of the season. They don't have the money and they need to feature their Big 5. The Pistons are dull because they play mindless basketball where the team seldom uses both sides of the court. I think of the Pistons when Billups played point guard and would only play one side of the court and pass the ball to Hamilton on most possessions that he didn't shoot it. Prince was a young player finding his way and he seldom touched the basketball. The Pistons looked flat at that time. Then we heard a lot of talk from the Piston coaching staff that the Pistons need to play both sides of the court on offense. As soon at they created some plays for Prince on the weak side, the Pistons started kicking ass and taking names. The current Piston team doesn't have the type of point guards who can get their team properly spaced let alone play both sides of the court. Johnson and Pope along with others have suffered since Reggie Jackson arrived. Smith is a guy who loves to go solo too. He creates excitement which the Piston front office loves. They think that is appealing for the fans who don't pay much attention or know how basketball supposed to be played. Just by practicing one or two weak side plays that have been around for many years could make Blake Griffin's life much easier. But then Blake gets in a zone when the 4th quarter comes around and doesn't use his brain every often. That is why Blake Griffin cannot be classified as a super star. I watched Golden State play Toronto where the game went in overtime. Durant was fantastic. He made two 3 pointers to tie the game two times within 17 seconds. But it was his court vision and knowledge of where his teammates were located that I was impressed with. Jonas Jerebco was playing with Durant and he showed off his high basketball IQ throughout the game. Jonas played off Durant and was in continual motion setting screens and finding the open spots knowing Durant would be doubled. Jonas drove it to the rim and scored from distance before Durant made some incredible shots.

I only mention this game because there is a vast difference in basketball IQ between the Pistons and other NBA teams with winning records. Right now Detroit is feeding off of the weak. Once the smart teams match up with Casey's rotation system they will kill the Pistons. Who can win when you play Bullock, Smith and RJ together. Or try Smith, Jackson and Galloway. Those 4 players cannot stop dribble penetration from anyone in the WNBA. They often look like they suffer from ADD with hyper activity. I would take Alonzo Trier now as the Pistons starting point guard and take my chances with a 6 foot 6 combo guard who is a play maker and shooter playing on a two way contract. Is AD a winning type of player? You have to be a high basketball IQ player to be a key part of a winning team if you are making over $20 mil a year. We get stats from AD so that provides comfort I guess. Griffin forces a lot of things on the court and that is not going to turn out well as the competition gets better. And if SJ returns next season I will truly be shocked and will start believing in your plan for success. But how many teams would take on the contracts of RJ, JL, LG, or BG even if some of those guys have expiring contracts? They will have to perform extremely well. I would take my chances of making a big trade involving the one player the Pistons can trade to eliminate payroll and get a great return. That guy is Andre Drummond. SJ is a free agent next summer.

This coaching staff cannot be very smart. They do not insist that the Pistons play both sides of the court on offense. I don't know many teams in high school that do not know how to do that and have weak side plays they practice everyday. No the Pistons are a low basketball IQ team that fans pull their hair out watching on most nights even when they win.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Football

Post  WTF Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am

Murph wrote:Wise, the Lions last won a National Football Championship 61 years ago.  The Wolverines last won a National Championship for football 21 years ago.  And the Wolverines last won a National Championship for basketball 29 years ago.

You give those teams a lot more love than the Pistons.

I most certainly do love those team over the Pistons there is no comparison. Period!!!!!  I could explain but you won't get it tb
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Blowing Up The Suns

Post  Murph Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:09 am

"The best thing that could happen would be for the Pistons to trade SJ and AD before the trade deadline. What is AD worth? Could the Pistons get an average center who defends and draft picks for the next two or three seasons? For me to let SJ just walk without anything in return will be the last straw."

Don...I respectfully disagree.  I don't want management to blow this team up in hopes of getting really, really bad for 5 years, and then sort of bad for another 3 years.  I'm 58.  I won't live long enough to see the Pistons win again, if they blow this team up.

Concerning the Suns.  When will they start to be not terrible?  When will they start winning?  When will they be better than the Pistons?  Will they ever contend?  Will they ever win an NBA Championship?  How much luck did it take for them to win the lotter and draft Ayton?  How good will Ayton be?  Will he suffer any severe injuries during his career (heaven forbid)?  Who else will the Suns draft to help Ayton?

The point I'm trying to make is that even if you blow up a team and get really really bad, it doesn't guarantee and NBA Championship in 8 or 10 years.  However, it does guarantee misery for at least 5 years, and maybe much longer.

If you eventually win an NBA Championship, it's probably worth it to blow a team up.  If you don't, it probably isn't worth it.

"+We need to run this experiment using the scientific method because... After This Season Weggie, Ish, Galloway and Leuer Will Be Expiring and ready-made-to-trade.  Think about that!  Freedom to make a big move to get a good young PG or wing, while keeping SJ as 6th man.  Also, we could sign and then trade Bullock as a throw-in piece to a big trade.  That's Ammo!"

BallinD...you make a very good point.  If we can just hold on for 2 more years, developing our young players and drafting well, then roughly $46 million comes off the books after the 19-20 season.  With those expiring contracts, we could acquire a star or stars to add to the core of homegrown players and Griffin.

I'm beginning to like Stefanski's and Casey's vision.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Thoughts, Sh!ts n Giggles

Post  BallinD Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Murph wrote:There's an interesting article on Reggie Jackson by SB Nation.  It's a long article but a few of the take-away are that:

1.  His FG% is 38% this year under Casey, compared to 43% in 2015-16, his best year when he led the Pistons to the playoffs.
2.  His 3pt% is 31%, compared to 35% in 15-16.
3.  36% of his shots are catch-and-shoot now, compared to 12% in 15-16.
4.  He gets to the paint 32% of the time now, compared to 43% of the time in 15-16.

My point is, if Reggie Jackson isn't really a very good catch-and-shoot PG, and if he doesn't get to the paint that often anymore, then why not start Luke Kennard in his place.  

I know a lot of posters, particularly BallinD and Don, have been calling for Kennard to start of PG for a long time now.  Maybe they're correct.

Murph, I concur; no surprise.

Eye Test Observations:  Luke could potentially work at pg for us because of Casey's system, using Blake as point forward and SJ's  penchant to take the ball and go downhill on the second unit.  Couple that with another Casey wrinkle of using two-guard lineups with Ish and Weggie, then substitute Luke as supplementary PG and spot-up shooter, and you have a formula worth trying.

+ Luke has a great "Feel" for the game in half-court sets, willing and able to make effective plays for others (almost to a fault) with many saying he needs to just shoot more.  If his game is "make plays for others and let the game come to me"  why not let him become more aggressive as he gains confidence, but in the meantime he has shown he can get assists and would be a great compliment to Blake and Dre.

+ His defense won't be worse than Weggie, and could be better in Casey's scheme.

+ Young guys are tearing up the league and Luke's time is now.  With confidence and Blake's on the floor coaching, his time is now!

+We need to run this experiment using the scientific method because... After This Season Weggie, Ish, Galloway and Leuer Will Be Expiring and ready-made-to-trade.  Think about that!  Freedom to make a big move to get a good young PG or wing, while keeping SJ as 6th man.  Also, we could sign and then trade Bullock as a throw-in piece to a big trade.  That's Ammo!

lol  lol  lol
On another note: I stumbled across this hilarious take on the Pistons. LINK:  Cooking The Pistons w The Master Chef
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Wild About the 'Cats

Post  Murph Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Don...isn't there an Arizona Wildcat blog you should be posting on?

Murph

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Murph wrote:Man...after reading Don's post on the Phoenix Suns, you would be convinced that the Suns front office is filled with geniuses and the team is on the verge of winning an NBA Championship.  Meanwhile,  you'd think that the Pistons have the worst record in the NBA.

Only upon checking back with reality and looking at the actually NBA Standings (not the ones in Don's imagination) would you find that Pistons at 11-7, and the Suns with the worst record in the NBA.

Don's fascination with the Suns, based on their selection of Deandre Ayton at #1, defies reality.

Murph you are looking in the wrong places to predict the future. The Suns have a bright future. Phoenix will snag another top pick next summer while giving their young players some great experience. They will not be designated as the (5th option). The Suns have had two high draft picks in two straight years along with a young All Star guard who the Pistons passed on to draft Johnson. The Suns signed their man to a long term contract. The Pistons missed their chance. By the way, The Suns will lose big this season but they are much more fun to watch then our low Basketball IQ Big 5 who have stolen the bulk of the Piston's payroll. I love what Ayton said after one loss. He is currently the 3rd leading rebounder in the NBA as a rookie. But Ayton says that the stupid rebounding stats kept by the NBA is meaningless. He doesn't have to work for most of his rebounds on defense. The ball comes to him because he is playing center. But Ayton does box out unlike our star AD. And Ayton does have a suffocated offensive game around the basket and from distance. He is still growing into his body and getting the NBA game down. By the way the Suns lost to the Pistons after beating the Bucks in an overtime game. They were exhausted and of course as you pointed out got screwed by the refs when their small forward was kicked out of the game. The Suns are on their way to huge success within two or three seasons. Everyone in Arizona is excited. I haven't really followed the Suns since Steve Kerr decided he had had enough of the Suns owner, Sarver. Kerr had been the Suns GM and President. Saver has now fired a very smart GM who was in charge of the Suns rebuilding program.

The devil is in the details Murph. I go to all of the Arizona home games but I am not a homer when it comes to predicting success in the NBA out of college. But I couldn't help but get excited when Johnson blocked trier's shot close to the end of the game against NY. Trier is a story that is gripping for me. He is a really good kid who is very religious and has used his faith to overcome a lot of adversity in his life. He didn't need the screw job the NCAA did on him when they accused him of using illegal drugs and banned him from competition for over half of 2nd season at Arizona. His step father gave Alonzo a medication for a sinus infection. A substance was discovered in a U test. It took the NCAA over half of a season to determine the substance was not a type of performance enhancing substance at all. Trier was the best player on the team when he came back and almost singlehandedly beat a powerful UCLA team featuring Ball at UCLA. He was also PAC12 MVP of the tournament when Arizona beat Oregon who made it to the NCAA finals that season. Then the following season Trier decided to return to college and everything was going well for him and I thought he was the best player on the team, Not Ayton. Sure enough late in the season the NCAA decided that Trier had violated the drug policy again. Of course he has never used drugs or alcohol in his life and is a gym rat above anything else. But there was still a trace of the banned substance that the NCAA had decided wasn't banned the year before but still Trier was not allowed to play for several games towards the end of the season. That about broke him mentally and he never returned to his previous form and Arizona lost in the first game of the tournament. But what a remarkable guy Trier really is. Many players would have given up after he was passed in the draft. Notice our Pistons had two 2nd round draft picks and had no clue that Trier was a true combo guard who was the best player on his team for two straight seasons making all the clutch shots, steals and passes when games were on the line. Trier is one of my most favorite college players. Now he is showing the the entire NBA how stupid the people are who make decisions in the front offices including our Piston front office.
TRIER against the Pistons on tired legs. (Who would you rather have Trier or Jackson-Smith?)
24 points -12 rebounds - 1 block -7 assists

How many college players who have followed Stanley Johnson's experience would want to be drafted by the Pistons?

Rookie season under SVG: Coach says we expect a lot from you Stanley but don't expect that you will touch the basketball on offense with the exception of times when the point guards have the ball at the end of the shot clock and do not want to lower their shooting percentage by taking a wild shot before the shot clock expires. Stanley you are the 5th option. In case you don't know what that means, Stanley, then I will tell you. You will stand beyond the 3 point line on the baseline on the weak side. Do not expect anyone to go down in your direction to set a screen on the guy who is defending you. Wait until Reggie or Ish either shoots it or passes it to AD. You are here to play defense so don't get any ideas that you are going to score many points. The fans might hate you and be very disappointed in you but suck it up.

Season 2: Coach says Stanley you did a great job defending Labron james in the playoffs. I want more of that effort from you this season. As we have Reggie and Ish Smith playing the point guard position, they will be creating all of the offense with their amazing dribbling skills. They turn the ball over a lot but that is the price I am willing to pay to keep the tempo up. We want to shoot it fast if AD cannot shake his man on the pick and roll. You now have experience so you know where you will be standing this season. You are our 5th option. We won't practice any weak side plays where a guard comes down to the baseline and sets a screen for you. I know you have been practicing all summer long on your mid range offensive game. Well we won't be playing both sides of the court so don't expect to touch the ball a lot except when the shot clock is about to expire. You are here to play defense. the fans might really hate you this season because your scoring average will suck. Your timing on shooting will of course not be very good and I am so sorry for making you shoot the ball with the two handed release. If we lose too many games, I might use you as an excuse because you were drafted pretty high based on Piston standards and that player in Phoenix who we passed on is really having a lot of success. If I place you in the dog house now and then please don't get down on yourself.

Season 3: New coach Dwayne Casey meets with SJ in SJ's training facility in California. He watches intently while Johnson is defended by two players but gets around a pick and makes 6 8-10 foot jumpers in a row. Casey approaches and tells Johnson, hey I wish you would stop practicing your mid range jump shot and shoot the 3 point shot. We don't play very organized in our half court offense. We like to bring it down quick and shoot it from long distance that is if we cannot get the ball down to AD or BG real quick. Now Stanley I really need you this season. I know you can defend really well so I plan to start you but don't expect that you will be much of a part of our offense. You will stand on the weak side either on the wing or baseline. No plays will be created for you. Do not expect our guards to go down to the baseline and set a screen for you to run into the open slot on the wing to shoot that mid range jump shot you are now practicing. You are our 5th option get it!! And it appears that our Front office does not have you in our future plans. Sorry for that Stanley. I know you will make the best of things this year and won't cause me any trouble. If you do then I am going to bury you on the bench. I will only bring you in when our team really sucks and our guards and small forward cannot guard anyone at all. But keep your chin up. I am going to start you for the first few games and then make you our 8th man.

Johnson is upset and flies back to Michigan from Cal. and meets with the new Piston front office with his agent. Is it true that you are no longer interested in my services? I know that I have not played kiss ass with the owner as much as I should like AD does but I believe that I have been screwed by perhaps two coaches since I arrived in Detroit. Will you trade me now please if I am not in your future plans? Well Stanley your shooting percentage is not where we would like it to be. SVG had to put you in the dog house too. But Sir SVG told me he would do that if the team was losing because he needed a scapegoat. Maybe that is true Son but you see we just don't have the money to sign you unless you will take the same amount of money as Bullock will take or perhaps Robinson will take. Johnson says, this meeting is over you bastards. I will suffer though another season in Detroit and will fight to get loose balls and create turnovers and that is the way I will score points as the 5th option on the Detroit Pistons. And that is what he is now doing while fans are still watching for any flaws in Johnson's game that they haven't already identified.

I like what one poster wrote about the Piston draft picks with one exception. Brandon knight was never a bust with the Pistons. He had to try to play point guard with Maxiell and Monroe as his front line players who could not play pick and roll or defend anyone. Knight played well after he was traded but suffered a severe knee injury that has limited his ability to play the game of basketball.

One final thought for the day. The Pistons are off to a good start this season but have the easiest schedule in the NBA. Nine of the Pistons victories have been against teams that currently have losing records. Blake Griffin's bully ball and ball hogging will not pay dividends as the season progresses. Reggie Bullock is a horrible defender-play maker and he is the Pistons starting 2 guard. Jackson, Smith, Bullock, Robinson and Galloway are extremely weak defensive players who do not play with a high basketball IQ. But they are the future for the Detroit Pistons. Here is the drum roll. Get ready and make sure you are sitting down because I am about to announce the stars who command the bulk of the Piston payroll.
1. Blake Griffin (ball hog)
2. Andre Drummond ( extremely low IQ basketball IQ franchise player and secret step son of the owner)
3. Reggie Jackson ( ball hog ) Thanks Murph for the most recent stats on this ace NBA team leader) who actually is less of a ball hog then in previous seasons.
4. Jon Leuer ( the first player to get a long term contract for $10M who has never been the key player on his team with the exception of high school). The Pistons will unleash their secret weapon soon. Just kidding here. I wish the best for Jon and his family who got the best of a horrible Piston front office.
5. Langston Galloway ( The Pistons stole him away from so many NBA teams. How did they do it?) Was it the money?
The big off season question will be can they sign Ish Smith and Reggie Bullock? Just think how tough they will be next season without Stanley Johnson coming off the bench to play defense. I can't wait to see it all. The Pistons long term future is extremely dim especially when Stanley Johnson signs with another team. Another one who got away but who is counting? If Johnson had been drafted by the Suns he would have been a key player on a rebuilding team with a coach who would say, Stanley you are not our 5th option. No coach would have forced Stanley to change his jump shot if he wanted to get any playing time. Stanley you will only play for me if you agree to release the ball with two hands. Only over the last summer once SVG was fired did Stanley revert back to his former 1 handed release. However, SJ is still the 8th or 9th player off the bench under Casey's rule. Only when Robinson and Bullock, Casey's ace players, can't defend their assigned player or score points and the Pistons are down does Casey bring in Johnson. If Johnson makes one mistake he is back on the bench if that happens in the first half. The Pistons are very predictable. have no intention of signing Johnson at the end of this season because they have no money to spend. That is just another cost of making that bogus trade for Blake Griffin. The Pistons will be forced to sign rejects for several years to play the 2 guard and the 3. But maybe they can sign the aging Smith and perhaps Joe Calderon who might be better than either Jackson or Smith if the Pistons played the game the right way. This is your team Piston fans. Get used to it and do not expect a lot once January arrives.

The best thing that could happen would be for the Pistons to trade SJ and AD before the trade deadline. What is AD worth? Could the Pistons get an average center who defends and draft picks for the next two or three seasons? For me to let SJ just walk without anything in return will be the last straw.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Reggie Jackson

Post  Murph Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am

There's an interesting article on Reggie Jackson by SB Nation. It's a long article but a few of the take-away are that:

1. His FG% is 38% this year under Casey, compared to 43% in 2015-16, his best year when he led the Pistons to the playoffs.
2. His 3pt% is 31%, compared to 35% in 15-16.
3. 36% of his shots are catch-and-shoot now, compared to 12% in 15-16.
4. He gets to the paint 32% of the time now, compared to 43% of the time in 15-16.

My point is, if Reggie Jackson isn't really a very good catch-and-shoot PG, and if he doesn't get to the paint that often anymore, then why not start Luke Kennard in his place.

I know a lot of posters, particularly BallinD and Don, have been calling for Kennard to start of PG for a long time now. Maybe they're correct.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Draft Record Since 2009

Post  Murph Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:19 am

WTF wrote:
Oracle wrote:Yes you're negative, so is Wise, and most of the things you both say are fairly accurate as of now.

Just like in the real world, you need both sides to make their cases and utilize the information to make rational decision.

That was the point of my last post, we don't deserve any respect because we haven't proven anything, and good teams have a lot of physical and mental barriers to overcome before they can display the consistency and mental toughness needed to be one of the top teams.

Where I disagree with you and Wise is that I know that this takes time and I recognize seeing progress. Maybe they take a few steps back before moving forward, I don't know, but as a fan of this team, I enjoy seeing even the small steps forward.

What progression have you seen since 2009?   You do realize we had 4 or 5 lottery picks since then and I don't think we're all that better.  I don't think I'm negative more than I tend to be brutally honest about the facts.  It's hard to sugarcoat this mess it's been 14 years since our last title and I'm not at all that please with what I've seen during this period.  

Okay I know the Teal Years is nestle in the middle of 2 championship era's but can anyone of you say that this current team bring as much excitement and hope as the Grant Hill, Stackhouse led period?   

This current team for sure haven't earn my respect as of yet.

Wise, the Lions last won a National Football Championship 61 years ago.  The Wolverines last won a National Championship for football 21 years ago.  And the Wolverines last won a National Championship for basketball 29 years ago.

You give those teams a lot more love than the Pistons.

I do agree with you that we have an abysmal history of drafting and developing our own players since 2009.  Our 1st round picks have been Daye, Monroe, Knight, Drummond, KCP, Johnson, Ellenson and Kennard.  Of those, only Drummond, Johnson and Kennard are still making solid contributions for Detroit.

Our 2nd round picks of note have been Budinger, Jerebko, Singler, Middleton, Dinwiddie, Brown and Thomas.  Of those, only Brown is making a solid contribution for Detroit

But I believe Stefanski and Casey were brought in to change all that. And we are already seeing incremental results. Casey has made huge strides in developing SJ, and he's playing Brown a significant number of minutes in important situations.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Negative

Post  WTF Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Oracle wrote:Yes you're negative, so is Wise, and most of the things you both say are fairly accurate as of now.

Just like in the real world, you need both sides to make their cases and utilize the information to make rational decision.

That was the point of my last post, we don't deserve any respect because we haven't proven anything, and good teams have a lot of physical and mental barriers to overcome before they can display the consistency and mental toughness needed to be one of the top teams.

Where I disagree with you and Wise is that I know that this takes time and I recognize seeing progress. Maybe they take a few steps back before moving forward, I don't know, but as a fan of this team, I enjoy seeing even the small steps forward.

What progression have you seen since 2009?   You do realize we had 4 or 5 lottery picks since then and I don't think we're all that better.  I don't think I'm negative more than I tend to be brutally honest about the facts.  It's hard to sugarcoat this mess it's been 14 years since our last title and I'm not at all that please with what I've seen during this period.  

Okay I know the Teal Years is nestle in the middle of 2 championship era's but can anyone of you say that this current team bring as much excitement and hope as the Grant Hill, Stackhouse led period?   

This current team for sure haven't earn my respect as of yet.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:12 pm

@Ballin: This home stand should do wonders for their 20 game assessment, and while that may make it look better than it would if a west coast trip had been in there, there's a lot of good that can come out of this. Winning builds confidence and allows a coach to develop key pieces of his offense and defense that losing doesn't allow to happen. Players get used to winning and will fight even harder to keep it going. There's just no substitute for confidence for both players and coach, so I'm really glad to have this winning streak, and hope it continues a bit longer.

"Johnson scored 21 points on only nine shot attempts to go with four rebounds, two assists a steal and three blocked shots – including a spectacular chase-down swat at the rim to seal the win. Smith"  - When the Pistons win, it usually means Johnson & Smith put in plenty of good work

@Sparma: Yes, this was an outstanding game by Stanley, and I do agree that the team last year was playing more fluidly/better than this team is, but they also had almost all of the players within the system already, while this group is in a new system so the process will likely take longer. Having said that, the early returns are pretty good.

@Murph: I agree, we should pick up Stanley's option because the way Casey has infused more confidence in him shows what can happen when a coach finds the best way to utilize a player and make him feel like he can do his best. Obviously SVG was very bad at doing that because when used correctly, you can see the potential Stanley has that was buried before.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty The Bizzaro World

Post  Murph Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am

Man...after reading Don's post on the Phoenix Suns, you would be convinced that the Suns front office is filled with geniuses and the team is on the verge of winning an NBA Championship.  Meanwhile,  you'd think that the Pistons have the worst record in the NBA.

Only upon checking back with reality and looking at the actually NBA Standings (not the ones in Don's imagination) would you find that Pistons at 11-7, and the Suns with the worst record in the NBA.

Don's fascination with the Suns, based on their selection of Deandre Ayton at #1, defies reality.

Murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next