FORUM

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Reggie J

Post  Sparma on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 pm

[Sparma:] "At this point, trading him would likely mean taking a bad contract back or giving up a draft pick [again]." [Deus:]
No, no, no, Sparma, you just gave RJ some roses now you're willing to except a bad contract and give up a draft pick also just to rid the Pistons of this numbskull?! Why can't we end up with a draft pick? We've got to see ourselves thru a brighter lens."

That was just me trying to gauge the present trade market for Reggie J, Deus. As down as we are on him, what reason is there to think other GMs want to give up something valuable to acquire his services?

Roses? My two posts concerning Reggie might be analogous to a teacher describing a really disruptive student who gets crummy grades, but then adds that the sad thing is that he's pretty smart. Would that really be a rose in that context?

We evidently did once have a good trade opportunity, the one that you wanted so badly, Deus, and that I wanted too, for Ricky Rubio. I can't see us having an opportunity like that again.

Still, Oracle makes a good point about it being early. Maybe, maybe, Casey can still have a positive impact on Reggie J. The early returns don't look promising though!

Reggie does have skills, talent, but it looks like he's just not on board with the coach's vision (play fast, move the ball, either drive all the way to the basket or go for the relatively high % corner 3s, play D).

I felt Brandon Knight was the another who just didn't get it, overestimating his own ability, going for his own play far deep into the clock and too often at the expense of early, high %, opportunities for others. But Brandon's landed in the perfect spot for someone with his proclivities, which I hope he can demonstrate once back to health. Clearly, he can't be the ball dominant front liner, but he can contribute heavily off the bench. That's the kind of spot that Reggie J needs too. Clearly behind (also in his own awareness) dominant stars [of course, you'd like to think he'd at least acknowledge Blake in that role here] and coming off the bench. Maybe there an executive out there who sees a niche of the sort for Reggie, once he's demonstrated he's back to 100%? At this point, that seems like a long shot.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Seems like this pretty much sums up your feelings about the Pistons....

Post  Oracle on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

5 Mysteries

Post  BallinD on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm

1. How do we stop the Conga lines to the basket?
... Start Bruce Brown and SJ in the backcourt
2. How do we defend the rim?
...Trade for Rudy Gobert and Giannis
3. How do we run a capable offense?
...Start Luke, Calderon, Bullock in our small-ball big three with Blake n Dre
4. How do we trade Weggie?
...Attach Luke n SJ to the trade, then eat sh!t n die
5. How do we host a first round playoff series?
...All of the above.  Priceless

The Questions are Familiar.   violin   The answers may vary by the year   Basketball

Today and every day in Pistonsland  is Groundhogs Day until Further Notice.  We bring you this Public Service Announcement to Lower Your Blood Pressure. rerun
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trier who was ignored by the Piston brass in this last draft scores 15 points for the Knicks in his first NBA regular season game

Post  cool breeze on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:21 pm

The Pistons simply lack the talent necessary to win a box of cracker jacks. Dinwiddie knew going into the Pistons opener what to expect relating to who he would be matched up with and also how AD plays defense when drivers pull up to shoot 4 foot jump shots. AD just doesn't make the extra effort to challenge many shots. He slides around and always looks confused. So what is new? Who wouldn't take Dinwiddie and LeVert over our guards and the Nets are perhaps one of the worst teams in the NBA now. The Nets only lost because they couldn't connect on wide open looks at the end of the game.

Watching Booker in the Suns opener it looked like night and day between him and any Piston guard. Booker simply knows how to play the game of basketball much smarter. He doesn't waste any energy. When he drives he knows where all of the defenders are on the floor and where his teammates are located.

The owner must have watched the same Piston players who are still in uniform last season and not learned anything. Maybe he believes the Pistons can match other top teams relating to basic talent and basketball IQ. I just don't see the basketball IQ relating to Ish Smith and Reggie Jackson. And our coach played them together at the same time. I was just wondering how the Pistons would look with Booker, Mitchell and of course Trier who was not drafted yet scored 15 points in his first game and scored 24 points in one of his pre season games while blocking shots and getting rebounds. Trier is not a great defender but he has outstanding offensive skills and his game fits the NBA style very well. Yet the Pistons drafted two players who are not known to be talented offensive players in this last draft. They drafted two players who play a similar style. WHY? I am not saying that Trier is a future NBA All Star player but it was a no brainer for the Pistons to take a chance on him in this last draft. The Pistons front office didn't put in the work necessary to make sound decisions relating to the draft. When or if Tom Gores and this ownership group ever decide to sell the Pistons they will be known as the most ignorant of all owners when it comes to helping their team get better through the draft. No team wins without elite caliber talent and that can only come through the draft for small market teams. I think the Pistons have one player on this current roster who at least was at one time an elite type player in Blake Griffin. He is clearly heads and shoulders the most talented player even with his aging joints and pain he must feel from previous injuries. Without Griffin the Pistons would be the worst team in the NBA with no plan for the future. The time is now for the Pistons who unfortunately do not have the talent to compete with any current playoff caliber team unless they are playing those teams in the 2nd of back to back games at the end of the opponent's 10 game road trip. Maybe Casey can come up with a miracle relating to creating exceptional team chemistry to overcome the lack of basic talent relating to playing offense and defense. The amount of ball and player movement makes the team more exciting to watch for sure. Yet the shot selection with so many long shots from players who are not known to be good shooters is troubling. At least AD is having more fun now and loves throwing up those 3 balls.

Brown looks physically strong and seems to have a head for the game. He will need to really focus on his shooting next summer. If the Pistons have a bad streak where the long ball won't drop, will the overall confidence of the team get so low that they will start getting blown out in the first half like 2 years ago. I was thinking in the last game how Tolliver could have helped the Pistons a lot. It is amazing that this owner did not make sure he signed Tolliver this past summer. Yet maybe Tolliver would not have returned for all the tea in China after the Griffen trade took place. Banking on over powering NBA teams that play small ball with AD and BG is not going to work. Most NBA players are extremely quick and know how to block out big guys. AD will never over power anyone on defense. He might block some shots which is great but AD lacks consistency and cannot concentrate very long and he cannot anticipate the way good defensive minded centers can do. He does not know the opponents offensive system well enough to anticipate. Just wondering how coaches can improve AD on defense when it appears that he does not prepare himself for specific opponents like the great players do. I am tired of thinking about AD and RJ. This experiment has gone on too long. The time for this current roster to win is never.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Consider

Post  deusXango on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:07 am

Sparma wrote:BallinD: "Buffoonery and straight Clowning from Weggie again and damn, but he not only singlehanded tried to give the game away at the end, but dammit if he didn't do his best matador imitation at the point of our defense.  Does this imbecile think he is better than Blake?  Did he learn anything from his time away from the game?  Can we go anywhere without competent pg play."

Funny stuff, if it weren't so sad.  Part of what's sad is that Reggie's a talented guy, but he's not putting that talent to good use.  Demonstrating his skill, he dug out a ball in our defensive corner where because of his outstanding dribbling ability he was able to control the ball in a way that few could.  I think he's our second most skilled player after Blake (of course AD blows him away with sheer athleticism; maybe Reggie B's also in the conversation as #2 skill guy?).  If only, if only.  Dang, SVG must have thought he'd curb some of that stuff coming out of OKC as a youngster.  As is, if PG play's going to be so shaky, I'm thinking my 44 guesstimate will turn out high. I think 44 wins is competitive with this team, in spite of Reggie.

At this point, trading him would likely mean taking a bad contract back or giving up a draft pick [again].
No, no, no, Sparma, you just gave RJ some roses now you're willing to except a bad contract and give up a draft pick also just to rid the Pistons of this numbskull?! Why can't we end up with a draft pick? We've got to see ourselves thru a brighter lens.
I wonder if we'd get better results with Calderon running things (even though Reggie J would destroy him one on one).
Yes and yes...Jose plays team ball and it's a team sport but, one on one RJ is probably superior but, he can't get paid playing recreation center basketball.

deusXango

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Tip Of The Hat To Mr. Samuel L. Clemens

Post  deusXango on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 am

There is no more difference in big men in the NBA; the classic center/power forward has been replaced with "small ball."
"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."-Mark Twain

The skillsets and coaching strategies in todays NBA have evolved the big mans play but, there is no way in hell that a talented big man can be denied his proper recognition...a center is a center and a power forward is a power forward! Anthony Davis, Al Horford, "Boogie" Cousins, Nikola Jokic, Kristaps Porzingis, Joel Embid, Paul Millsap, John Collins, Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, Tobias Harris, and Dario Saric, to name a few, would all disagree that the big mans roles are obsolete. Andre Drummond and Blake Griffin ain't chopped liver and fan fault finding, over recognition of gifts, doesn't mean anything other than they're not appreciated; I'd love to see them joined by a world class SF or PG to give us a legitimate Big3, right now we don't have either.
deusXango

View user profile

Back to top Go down

True Dat

Post  BallinD on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Sparma, you are correct, he is talented, yet he's not cerebral or self-reflective as is necessary to play the most cerebral position on the court.  We're talking about athletes, but the mental and emotional demands are nearly as strong as the physical. Leadership is the combination of the physical, cerebral and emotional. FAIL!! This is where he falls short.  He probably needs counseling, or something.

When asked if Reggie was on board with the new change in scheme under Casey, the coach said "He understands it."  Not he is on board, or that he is eager to implement it.  Subtle, but telling.

Earlier this year Steven Adams of the OKC Thunder, a former teamate, said Reggie "thought he was better than Westbrook." I'm sure he does believe he is better than Blake, with no evidence.  He is delusional.  Does he even watch film of his own buffonery?  Does he have cognitive dissonance trying to rationalize his delusion with reality: not even a top 15 pg in the league, no stamina (asthmatic), terrible defender, poor decision maker, yet he is a pretty good dribbler and not bad with the P&R.  Is that it?!?!

Can Casey get through to this cretin.  Will Blake have to slap him up?  Will Dre have to renounce the clown? facepalm
Pride cometh before a fall....

Funny stuff, if it weren't so sad.  Part of what's sad is that Reggie's a talented guy, but he's not putting that talent to good use.  Demonstrating his skill, he dug out a ball in our defensive corner where because of his outstanding dribbling ability he was able to control the ball in a way that few could.  I think he's our second most skilled player after Blake (of course AD blows him away with sheer athleticism; maybe Reggie B's also in the conversation as #2 skill guy?).  If only, if only.  Dang, SVG must have thought he'd curb some of that stuff coming out of OKC as a youngster.  As is, if PG play's going to be so shaky, I'm thinking my 44 guesstimate will turn out high.

At this point, trading him would likely mean taking a bad contract back or giving up a draft pick [again].

I wonder if we'd get better results with Calderon running things (even though Reggie J would destroy him one on one).

[/quote]
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'm not concerned... Yet!

Post  Oracle on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:16 pm

It's too early to come to too many conclusions yet, IMO.

I know it grates on the nerves when we see the same old stuff, especially from Reggie & Drummond.

Yet I caution, they aren't on the same page as the coach yet, and he's smartly bringing them along slowly without jumping down their throats for every infraction of the law.

Let's see where we are 20 games in. If nothing changes, we're still capable of the playoffs, but a much lower seed than top 4.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reggie J

Post  Sparma on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 pm

BallinD: "Buffoonery and straight Clowning from Weggie again and damn, but he not only singlehanded tried to give the game away at the end, but dammit if he didn't do his best matador imitation at the point of our defense. Does this imbecile think he is better than Blake? Did he learn anything from his time away from the game? Can we go anywhere without competent pg play."

Funny stuff, if it weren't so sad. Part of what's sad is that Reggie's a talented guy, but he's not putting that talent to good use. Demonstrating his skill, he dug out a ball in our defensive corner where because of his outstanding dribbling ability he was able to control the ball in a way that few could. I think he's our second most skilled player after Blake (of course AD blows him away with sheer athleticism; maybe Reggie B's also in the conversation as #2 skill guy?). If only, if only. Dang, SVG must have thought he'd curb some of that stuff coming out of OKC as a youngster. As is, if PG play's going to be so shaky, I'm thinking my 44 guesstimate will turn out high.

Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Not Learning

Post  WTF on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 pm

BallinD wrote:Buffoonery and straight Clowning from Weggie again and damn, but he not only singlehanded tried to give the game away at the end, but dammit if he didn't do his best matador imitation at the point of our defense.  Does this imbecile think he is better than Blake?  Did he learn anything from his time away from the game?  Can we go anywhere without competent pg play.

How many times has Casey said he doesnt want the ball to stick and for players to hold it for 4 seconds then shoot, drive or pass, but Mr. Dribbledribble did exactly what hasnt worked for him since 2015, vs the new game plan/scheme.  Ok, he's healthy, so now, please get him outta here!  41 shots between Dre and Weggie is a lottery formula!

BTW

Blake got up in the face of GR3 at the end for his failure to foul, but hey...WTF did you not see Weggie wave you off, come down and dribble and hoist with the game on the line.  Are you kidding me!  He needed to smack him for those stunts.

Coughing up shot clock violations, step-back airballs, coughcough (Big 3, who are we kidding here, it ain't even funny.)

deusXango wrote:Gawwwd damn! "The most important player" leading the charge going 7-20 from the field, playing zero defense, sucks in my opinion. I'm ready to get back to Casey's first thoughts on starting Kennard at PG, if for no other reason, defense is not a requirement to start. Game #1 and the air is being pounded out of the ball, all while the pace slows to a crawl. I'd love to see what Kennard could do with those minutes and 20 shots. Hero my ass! Trade Reggie A.S.A.P. and get that first round pick; we've got too many guards anyway. If Luke flops we still have Jose to fall back on but, keep Ish coming off the bench. With Blake and Andre doing the heavy lifting, we'll be just as well off with Kennard, Bullock, and Johnson handling the perimeter duties.

Did I see a little J.R. Smith in Glenn Robinson III (going to sleep during a crucial juncture of the game)?

A win is a win and the next 9 games should be interesting and revealing.
This is exactly why I'm predicting 39 wins again among other reasons.  Until this team gets a actual floor leader they're going to suck,  this team lacks a player that's been a proven winner to so them the way.  While Blake been a winner we all know is was because he played along side CP3 and Jordan and he doesn't have that here.

I know everyone loves AD but he's never been a winner regardless to putting up decent stats,  this team does have leaders on it but they are forced to be just regular players (GR3 and Kennard both have winning pedigrees from winning programs.  Trust me there's something to this that far exceeds AD stats and Blakes fading talent.  

Reggie is stupid and plain stupid and why we keeps screwing with him is stupid.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The More Things Change .........................

Post  lemonpen on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Weggie B Weggie

Dre served up plenty of free chili. At times it looked like he was wearing a Piston/Net two sided uni.

Bright Spot: Did anyone else think Brown did a dare I say "nice" defensive job on D’Angelo Russell. I was rooting for the kid to record his first career point.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sh!tShow

Post  BallinD on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Buffoonery and straight Clowning from Weggie again and damn, but he not only singlehanded tried to give the game away at the end, but dammit if he didn't do his best matador imitation at the point of our defense.  Does this imbecile think he is better than Blake?  Did he learn anything from his time away from the game?  Can we go anywhere without competent pg play.

How many times has Casey said he doesnt want the ball to stick and for players to hold it for 4 seconds then shoot, drive or pass, but Mr. Dribbledribble did exactly what hasnt worked for him since 2015, vs the new game plan/scheme.  Ok, he's healthy, so now, please get him outta here!  41 shots between Dre and Weggie is a lottery formula!

BTW

Blake got up in the face of GR3 at the end for his failure to foul, but hey...WTF did you not see Weggie wave you off, come down and dribble and hoist with the game on the line.  Are you kidding me!  He needed to smack him for those stunts.

Coughing up shot clock violations, step-back airballs, coughcough (Big 3, who are we kidding here, it ain't even funny.)

deusXango wrote:Gawwwd damn! "The most important player" leading the charge going 7-20 from the field, playing zero defense, sucks in my opinion. I'm ready to get back to Casey's first thoughts on starting Kennard at PG, if for no other reason, defense is not a requirement to start. Game #1 and the air is being pounded out of the ball, all while the pace slows to a crawl. I'd love to see what Kennard could do with those minutes and 20 shots. Hero my ass! Trade Reggie A.S.A.P. and get that first round pick; we've got too many guards anyway. If Luke flops we still have Jose to fall back on but, keep Ish coming off the bench. With Blake and Andre doing the heavy lifting, we'll be just as well off with Kennard, Bullock, and Johnson handling the perimeter duties.

Did I see a little J.R. Smith in Glenn Robinson III (going to sleep during a crucial juncture of the game)?

BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How about a Piston starting lineup that includes Dinwiddie and LeVert?

Post  cool breeze on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Those two players scored 50 points. How about our two guards going against those two Nets with Jackson and Smith? Incredible to me that Casey would put those two ball dominate inept defenders in the game at the same time. So it is clear, Casey has not bothered to watch any game film of the Pistons from last season. The bottom line is that a horrible Nets team missed a bundle of wide open looks which cost them the game in the end.

The one positive that I took from my first look is that although the Piston defense sucks, the offense is much more fun for fans to watch. There was player and ball movement until the final possessions in crunch time when Reggie Jackson put a stop to that and pounded the basketball which limited the options of Casey's offense. But imagine when Casey sticks Smith and Jackson in the game during crunch time against Wall and Beal or most any other NBA team that values the alpha guards. Casey was playing the players he currently has to work with. The ownership group and SVG mind farts with personnel have not done this new coaching staff any favors. I loved it when Dinwiddie would go into the paint and score directly over Andre Drummond. He knew the weaknesses with the Piston guards and the inept defense AD shows in the painted area. I saw Casey give AD a long look in the first quarter when AD's assigned man made a 8 foot baseline jumper. AD was just outside the painted area and failed to sprint out to challenge the shot. He just stood and weakly threw up one arm when his body was 6 feet away from the shooter. That won't scare many shooters. Without Blake Griffin's presence, the Pistons would have lost by 15 points. And I was Blake limping and holding his knee at the end of the ball game. Hope he is OK.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  Oracle on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:42 am

MemberWins
DX49
Murph47
Oracle46
Stones45
Lemonpen45
Sparma44
BallinD43
Cool Breeze39
Wise39
Phil1980boy
Sebastian
Merc
Fly
Fennis
Sissy
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well we do have a big 3...

Post  Oracle on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 am

And the big 3 stepped up and delivered, but outside of Ish, the production of the supporting cast was surprisingly poor for a home game.

Role players generally play best at home, but was their low production a result of poor play or lack of opportunity?

Our two highest percentage shooters last night only got 8 shots(Kennard 5, GR3 3)!  While I expect the big 3 to have the lions share of the shots, we'll go nowhere if they dominate the ball like they did last night. We need to share the ball a lot more so that everyone gets a fair shot to contribute. Maybe this changes when we get Stanley & Bullock back.

Another disturbing issue last night was the low number of assists. The point guards combined for a paltry 7 assists, Ish(3), Reggie(4). While the big men had a healthy 12 assists, Blake(6), Drummond(2), Pachulia(4).

Having said this, we did start Brown & Kennard, two very green NBA players and had them go against some experienced goo players. Those guys have ability, but I expect even more from them against bench guys than against starters.

Of course it's the first game and I'm 100% sure we're struggling with chemistry and new system issues in real time. We won't know who these guys really are for awhile, so I'll take wins where we can get them.

So as always, there was good news and bad, but a win is a win, and I think the Nets are a bit better than people may suspect, but NOT as good as they looked last night.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  Murph on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:08 am

There were a couple of really bad possessions by Jackson down the stretch.  He was trying to get the ball to Griffin, I think, but Griffin was being doubled, so Jackson just kept dribbling and dribbling until the shot clock was down to like 4 seconds, then he dumped it off to some poor soul.  Geesh.

I wouldn't mind seeing a starting lineup of Brown, Kennard, Bullock, Griffin and Drummond.  But I'm sure that will never happen.

Drummond played well.  For the most part he did what he does best and played within himself, going for dunks, offensive rebounds and put-backs.  He had 9 offensive boards.  I can't believe he's going to continue to chuck 3's.   facepalm  

Griffin played well as the go-to guy down the stretch, and he led the team in scoring and assists.

Pachulia played well off the bench.  Pachulia filled up the stat sheet in limited minutes, with 6 pts, 7 rbds, 4 asts, 2 stls and 1 blk.

Too bad we can't play the Nets at home every night.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Win Is A Win but...

Post  deusXango on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:19 am

Gawwwd damn! "The most important player" leading the charge going 7-20 from the field, playing zero defense, sucks in my opinion. I'm ready to get back to Casey's first thoughts on starting Kennard at PG, if for no other reason, defense is not a requirement to start. Game #1 and the air is being pounded out of the ball, all while the pace slows to a crawl. I'd love to see what Kennard could do with those minutes and 20 shots. Hero my ass! Trade Reggie A.S.A.P. and get that first round pick; we've got too many guards anyway. If Luke flops we still have Jose to fall back on but, keep Ish coming off the bench. With Blake and Andre doing the heavy lifting, we'll be just as well off with Kennard, Bullock, and Johnson handling the perimeter duties.

deusXango

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Predict This

Post  WTF on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 am

After considering everyone analytics, wishful thinking and the mountain of True Blue propaganda I conclude another 39 win season for this clown bunch.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Scary Win

Post  BallinD on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 pm

It's one game, but...

Only saw bits and pieces on league pass.  Hard, awkward Blake fall in 4th. Weggie is exactly as remembered, high usage dribbler with game on the line willing to go heroball even with Blake in lineup and Casey on the sidelines.  No way Luke should only have five shots.  

Casey looking a lot like SVG so far, but I'll take the win. He did play more in the rotation (10) but it seems Casey must not like GR3.  Sheesh!?  

Where would we be without Blake, who left it all on the court down the stretch. That's what weve been missing, IMO. Dre will slowly learn how to play hard and smart!? at the end, but he did get another 20-20 game, so there is that. Anybody else?

Have we traded Weggie yet?
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nets

Post  Sparma on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Ugly win, but we'll take it.

Started watching in the third quarter.

Blake played hard, showed skill.

AD played smart and effectively with 5 fouls on him.

Somehow I doubt that Dinwiddie and LeVert turn out to be the All Stars they looked like tonight.  We got killed on dribble penetration.  Dinwiddie's the one who got away, along with Middleton.

Reggie J with some productivity, but, oh dear, he didn't get the memo about playing with pace.  Two costly TOs to the team (but Reggie's fault) on clock violations starting in the late 3rd, along with a TO as Reggie dribbled into multiple arms.

Not much of an offensive plan, apart from dribble, dribble, dribble and letting the big guys do their thing.

Two improvements over last year?  ZaZa looks like he'll really contribute as backup center.  Sure he's ancient in NBA terms, but he'll help this year, if healthy. And sometimes there's something to the preseason hype: Galloway looked gritty on D, as a journalist foretold, once sprawling on the floor for the ball.  He didn't come up with it, but still  impressive.

Can't say I saw any major transformation from last year.  Not yet. A heavily flawed team, with some ability. Still: 1-0.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lemonpen

Post  Sparma on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend, Lemonpen. You're so right about the importance of cherishing every minute. That's hard to do sometimes (not least as we contemplate our Pistons drifting along, seemingly determined never again to bring us the joy that they once did), but the alternative to the sub-optimal present is coming into sight all too often to ignore in the way that we might once have.

lemonpen wrote:
Sparma wrote:Good to hear from you, Lemonpen.  Sounds like there's a fair bit of modest optimism for the season.

lemonpen wrote:Well we're finally getting back to business.  With new guys running things, and new ideas (hopefully), I'm going to try my arse off to sit back, observe and be patient (except maybe when Dre launches bombs).  It will be interesting to see which players flourish under Casey and which ones will have to be booted.  

One thing I will say at this point is that having Arnie K back is comforting, and hopefully will  contribute to key starters logging significantly more PT.

Put me down for 45 Dubyas please.
Today it's very good to be heard.  

Sidebar:  Last night I watched my teammate pass away quite suddenly on the bowling alley carpet.    pale  pale  pale  
I don't mention this for sympathy, but to urge every one of you in Piston Nation to cherish each minute, because, well you know the rest.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.  I am modestly optimistic.  We can all afford to be, even CoolBreeze.  
That is, until the first game is in the books.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Handicap The Game

Post  BallinD on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Rotation: Dre, Blake, ZaZa, Bullock, kennard, GR3, Weggie, Ish, LG, (SJ - out with toe injury)

Starters: Dre, Blake, Bullock, Kennard (or LG), Weggie

Notable: Ellensen, BB, Leuer out

My Hot Takes: Casey starting SJ would be wack! Let it go (SJ Dream Team Fans), just let it go...

- Two 3PA from Dre, four from Blake
- Lead the teams in assists, Weggie (hope)
- Blake and Dre P&R; Blake and Bullock P&R
- Blake and Luke P&R maybe a thing.
- Offensive output greater than 110 points as we run and gun.
- Fun Fact: Ish hits two threes, team shoots 40 total

Go Stones!
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:39 pm

lemonpen wrote:
Sparma wrote:Good to hear from you, Lemonpen.  Sounds like there's a fair bit of modest optimism for the season.

lemonpen wrote:Well we're finally getting back to business.  With new guys running things, and new ideas (hopefully), I'm going to try my arse off to sit back, observe and be patient (except maybe when Dre launches bombs).  It will be interesting to see which players flourish under Casey and which ones will have to be booted.  

One thing I will say at this point is that having Arnie K back is comforting, and hopefully will  contribute to key starters logging significantly more PT.

Sidebar:  Last night I watched my teammate pass away quite suddenly on the bowling alley carpet.    pale  pale  pale  
I don't mention this for sympathy, but to urge every one of you in Piston Nation to cherish each minute, because, well you know the rest.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.  I am modestly optimistic.  We can all afford to be, even CoolBreeze.  

I will try Lemonpen.

Sorry for your loss. You are now carrying his spirit with you. He is alive within you and will not be forgotten. You shared something special as teammates. It is so special to have played an organized sport with fans watching us and pulling for us. That bond cannot be broken even when the grim reaper calls.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Men In Black Reference

Post  lemonpen on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 pm

cool breeze wrote:Imagine how excited the fans are in Philly and Boston awaiting the start of the season. Remember the time when Piston fans felt the same way? Those were the times when nobody was talking about rebounding stats as being the thing to watch or some player making the meaningless All Star game. No Piston fans were excited because they once had teams that could beat the best opponents in the league. So will the Pistons pull out a squeaker tomorrow in the home opener? Are you excited? I attended a wedding this past weekend where a lot of relatives attended who are living in Michigan. Nobody wanted to talk about the Pistons. Many of those people had previously been big time Piston fans too. People in Michigan expect more than they are getting from the current ownership. This team cannot win a championship and because of the crazy contracts, we fans are stuck with many years of disappointment. Losing is one thing but loss of hope for your team because of poor planning is another thing. Giving up this last number one pick for Griffin was a killer let alone losing Tobias Harris. The Pistons will be just good enough so we will not get a lottery pick for several years. That says everything to anyone who knows anything about the NBA. That might be why NBA TV did not broadcast even one Piston pre season game. This ownership with the Blake Griffin trade has sealed the fate of the Pistons. Last season was the time to shed bad contracts and not take the bait from the Clippers relating to giving up some good talent and a number one pick for a often injured player at the end of his career who has a long history of playing in only 75% of the regular season games. That trade cannot be placed on SVG's shoulders. He and his staff advised against that bogus trade.

On the other hand, Boston under a hard working smart GM where the owners do not interfere are at the top of the heap. How did they get there? How about dumping bad contracts to start and then stock piling draft picks and then snagging some of the best talent through free agent signings and trades. You have to start with getting high draft picks to have any chance of winning in the NBA. This ownership decided to do it their way. Then even though the owners had no real plan for success a outstanding point guard could have fallen in their lap. But they didn't know that they didn't know and passed on Donovan Mitchell. They did that because Andre Drummond is pals with Reggie Jackson and also they knew that there was no way any other team in the NBA would take on Reggie's contract. So here we are again. The hype we read about Reggie being the player he was long ago and of course the ace in the hole - Jon Leuer the man who could not make the rotation and was not in the future plans of a horrible team when he played in Phoenix. Leuer was not a key player on his college team although a competent college player for sure. I have nothing against Leuer he was able to somehow get a long term $10Mil contract from the Pistons. But who in hell would agree to paying him that much and to also give him a long term deal? The story line goes can a healthy Leuer return to form he showed in his first season as a Piston? The thing we are supposed to forget is that Leuer had to be benched for a period of time because he could neither defend anyone or make the 3 point shot. He couldn't get a rebound in crunch time either. Opponent players at his position were just a hell of a lot better than Leuer. So the attempt to re write history by Piston management will not really work on Piston fans. Michigan basketball fans are not stupid. They are not retarded. Yet this is what Piston management banks on it seems. I wish Jon Leuer all the good luck in the world but he will need more than luck to replace Anthony Tolliver. It still is not too late. The Pistons might be able to dump some of the contracts if they agree to trade AD. There is another owner out there who thinks he knows more than the basketball experts. Sarver, the owner of the Suns, just fired his talented GM. He says he wants to WIN NOW. Yet he has the beginnings of a real basketball team having drafted three young guys to build a team around. That is the only way small market teams can do it yet the GM was fired. How about trading Drummond for some of their young talent and draft picks? Start the long process it takes to become a winner. Who knows maybe then the Pistons will draft another Zeke. Drummond's value might be the highest it will ever be right now and up to the trade deadline. Tom Gores has a personal bond with AD. That bond will not stop AD from moving on when he next contract time arrives will it? All I know is that I saw all that I wanted from the current roster players. I liked Tolliver's hard nosed approach to playing basketball. I loved the effort Moreland brought too. He was rewarded with don't let the door hit you in the face.

The only thing I can hope for relating to who will play back up power forward is that a miracle can occur relating to the play of Henry Ellenson. The only thing any of us can hope for is that one or two of the extremely young guys who are 22-23 years old can somehow rise above all the obstacles that stand in their way when they have to play on the floor with Reggie Jackson. Jackson has the history of freezing out the young guys. How much rope will Casely give Reggie jackson this season? Will he give the ball to someone else who will share the ball with everyone and place Reggie at the 2 guard when he plays??? Will the coach pick a pass first strong defensive minded point guard or Reggie Jackson as time moves forward. It for sure won't happen right away. But maybe around January, the coach will finally throw in the towel and go to the owners and say it is time for a change. Meanwhile there will be some good games on TNT this season in the Western Conference.

Just stare at this little flashy thing for a second, and everything will be ok.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sparma

Post  lemonpen on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Sidebar: Last night I watched my teammate pass away quite suddenly on the bowling alley carpet. pale pale pale

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. I am modestly optimistic. We can all afford to be, even CoolBreeze.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum