Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
Phil-Good
BallinD
Sparma
WTF
deusXango
Oracle
10 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Ayton?

Post  Murph Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:19 am

Don, why do you continually bring up Deandre Ayton as if it's somehow the Pistons fault, or Drummond's fault that they didn't draft him?

He was the number one pick. It's not as if the Pistons passed on him.

Btw, your guy, Donovan Mitchell, is having a pretty crappy year for a pretty crappy team. That was the guy you spent all last season beating up the Pistons for not drafting.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Note to Self: Don't get busy and stop worrying about the Pistons!

Post  Oracle Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:36 am

Damn, work has been kicking my butt and now the Pistons are falling apart... literally!

The loss I hated was the first Philly game. They rested Embiid saying they were saving him for more important games... Can you spell locker room material??? You have to kick their arses after comments disrespecting you like that.

I paid attention until we got that big lead(15 points I think), and decided I didn't need to worry, then BAM!!! I effing needed to worry because they blew the lead and lost the game... WTF???

Now we're hurtling towards .500 and sinking fast... ok, enough for the bad news.

Kennard blows up: Yup, the youngster blew up on the road and is beginning to confirm the forum consensus that he's going to be very good. IMO, if Kennard works out, it'll be one of those things where picking either him or Mitchell was a can't lose deal, both were good picks(Sorry Stan, that's all the props you get tonight).

I hope Casey sees the light and either starts the kid or play him a ton off the bench because he can't get better riding the pine. I see Ellenson got a little burn tonight, but I don't see him getting a lot of minutes on a regular basis unless he can blow up like Kennard did.

It's going to stay tough for awhile, but if you can't win tough games, you don't deserve to be in the game!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Just not good enough, but....

Post  Sparma Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Kennard with the monster game (apart from 5 TOs). Do we see him starting at SF for a spell?

Dre really held his own with Embiid, as I'd hoped he would.

Reggie with a solid game.

Ellenson contributing. Maybe time to give him some minutes?

And lots of bad stuff. Late in the game, Philly was up on second hand points something like 26 to 7. We seem to excel at making guys look like All-Stars whom I haven't heard of before. Korkmaz tonight.

btw, weren't we supposed to be at the cutting edge of international scouting at one point? Darko didn't ruin that did he?
Somewhere there's a guy shooting the lights out who'd be available to us. Help!
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Ya Mon

Post  BallinD Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 pm

DX, I’m with you, and I wonder why we never picked up Jamal Crawford for the Vet’s minimum. We’re the second worst shooting team in the association. Dotson would be even better maybe, if small sample size shooting holds up over time.

IMHO Casey might want to rethink a few things; I know we’ve had the injury bug, so there is that, but for whatever reason, Detroit is where good shooters go to die. I think it might be Weggie’s propensity to pass the ball late in the shot clock for a hurried shot after he pounds the air out of the ball, but I could be wrong. JK, I also think these dullard defensive- minded coaches need to learn how to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. I feared this would be Casey’s achilles heel.

Looks like Luke might be breaking out of his slunp a bit in tonight’s game. Hope so!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  deusXango Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:52 pm

With Griffin out tonight, getting a well deserved rest, the offense now runs through Reggie. If he's going to shine, now's the time. Embiid is sure to be back. Will the Pistons continue to hoist up ineffective 3's or will we go back to the pick & roll, the staple play of Reggie and Andre? I'd rather we get off the "snide" tonight instead of continuing to slide.

GO PISTONS
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty I've tried to support Weggie, but....

Post  deusXango Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Wow BallinD, for a team that's invested so much in stats/analytics, from top to bottom, I'm knocked off my feet that a fellow poster, who pulls for the home team can clearly see the overwhelming need to make a change at PG before the season is wreaked, incidentally, by the SAME player that's been responsible for a piss-poor showing the last couple of years and management can't! It was a reason Casey wanted to try Kennard at PG as far back as training camp and if not for one of his lengthy injuries this season, he may well be starting now! Due to Luke's fragile nature I understand that now Khyri Thomas is being groomed to enter the rotation as a PG. Right now the Kennard/Thomas duo makes more sense than the non-performing Jackson, and the injured Smith, particularly with the brilliant (albeit aged) Jose Calderon backing them up. We're already losing ground, so what do we have to gain is the question in my mind.

I'm officially beating the drum and leading the campaign to improve our SG and SF; improvement being size, skillset, mental toughness, and salary costs...Damyean Dotson, a 6' 6" SG and Kelly Oubre Jr., a 6' 7" SF. I can't be the only fan who want more (on both sides of the ball) than what Bullock and Robinson III have been contributing to the efforts of Griffin and Drummond to win games.

BallinD wrote:The Detroit Pistons are +0.4 points per 100 possessions (50th percentile) when Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson are on the floor. (So-called big 3)
They're +10.5 points per 100 possessions when Griffin and Drummond are on the floor without Jackson.

cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/9/l…
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:05 pm

deusXango wrote:How many "bunnies" did Drummond miss today? If he made half of them, what would his stat line look like? What would the score have been? I'm not going to get into how frequently his shot is blocked or how often he gives up the ball when he's stripped by guards.

I could not believe that Reggie didn't get his first basket until the 4th quarter. He's not pouting, like when SVG suggested he shoot less and pass more, is he? The only thing I find more unbelievable is Coach Casey saying at a press conference that Reggie (one of our Big3) couldn't find his shot...3 quarters and the Great Reggie Jackson, couldn't find a way to get the ball in the hole??!!! I'd have settled for 10 points out of the guy since he was having an off night.

"Don't start making excuses now people.   Things are starting to look eerily similar to last years 39 win season start so it seems but I could be wrong perhaps it just a hiccup in the road to all your hopefulness to a mediocre season of a slightly above .500 season."-WTF

I believe you may be on to something Wise, these last 4 games looked like sh!t. It wasn't about who we played, but how we played. It ain't no excuse!

dX how refreshing that you have identified Andre Drummond as one of the problems. He gets amazing rebounding stats but DeAndre Ayton as a rookie has stated that those rebounding stats for centers mean nothing. Ayton said at the time that although he might be a rookie who was in 3rd place in the bogus rebounding stats that the Piston front office likes to have fans take note of, that until he (Ayton) got up to speed in being a better defender, shooter and limit his turnovers, he is not a valuable player to compliment his teammates so they can WIN. Yes Ayton doesn't care about his own glorification, he wants to do the things that cause his team to get better. Meanwhile, this past summer, Andre Drummond announced that he would unleash his 3 point shot. Drummond has no clue how he can improve his overall game. He isn't interested in shedding 25 to 35 pounds so he can run the court faster and not take defensive plays off. AD did miss a lot of easy shots last night but my basic dislike for his game involves overall basketball IQ. No team can win against the superior teams unless they dedicate the big money to superior basketball players who can outsmart the players they play against most of the time. But the Pistons are spending over $20 Million on AD. That simply won't work. Everyone else seems to believe that Reggie Jackson is the problem. He is a problem as well because he is sucking up the money that needs to be spent on real high achieving basketball players. But RJ is a far smarter player than AD. At times he can figure things out on offense at least. Piston fans are gullible. They want to believe that the Piston owner and front office do know how to build a superior basketball team. But the opposite is true. The Pistons need a new offense where we fans get to see more player and ball movement. We fans want to see that this team is smarter than the teams we have watched for the past 3 years. But we have the same players who are not good enough to compete well against superior players.

Now I can't imagine any team agreeing to take on Reggie Jackson's contract or Jon Leuer and Langston Galloway's contract. But there is a team that might take AD's contract and we might be able to get a number one pick and a player who is smarter but not as physically gifted as AD. This is a no brainer to me. How many more games do we need to watch? We will continue to see Piston management tease the gullible fans by signing players like Ish Smith, Robinson, and Reggie Bullock to fill out the roster. They can't do much else because they have screwed up the works by their insane free agent selections. Most teams would have bought out Jon Leuer's contract after his 2nd season when he was healthy but showed that he couldn't play effective defense against 2nd unit competition at either the 4 or 5. He shot the ball well for the first few weeks of the season two years ago and then couldn't make any shots from distance for the rest of the season. So exactly why has Piston management not admitted their mistake and released this man and filled the position with someone in the G League? Instead managements number one kiss ass Dwayne Casey has gradually snuck Leuer into the rotation. Should't the Pistons have some type of vision for future success? Does it always have to be smoke and mirrors by hiring another coach who does exactly what the owner and front office idiots demand? Play those players we know are horrible so somehow they can have a lucky streak so we can trade them. Not going to happen. Nobody in their right mind will take Leuer or Galloway's contract let alone Jackson. The only contract that some team might take on is Andre Drummond's contract. AD is a great guy who does a lot of nice things in the community. I would love to keep him for $8-10 mil a year.

Looking close at Luke Kennard it appears that he is not suited to play the 2 guard or the 3. I think that the only place he can be successful is at point guard. However, is he strong enough physically to keep up with the top point guards in the league. Maybe he isn't in game shape yet though so I hope he gets a lot more playing time. Also, if the Piston coaching staff and front office would just be honest with fans and give us their plan to improve the team, maybe we could continue to stay engaged. I am almost dreading the next game and the game after that. They continue to play the Dwayne Casey style. Before the season started the experts were saying that Dwayne has a lot of experience and can adjust to the type of roster he inherited. We now know that he doesn't have a clue how to make that adjustment. He is playing an offense that just does't fit the roster. He has 2nd tier players trying to beat up on first tier players in one on one matchups. He does not create any specific game plan from game to game relating to some type of defensive system that might work against specific first tier players. But in his defense, any defense he employs will not work because the roster is full of 3rd rate defenders in Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson, Ish Smith, Jon Leuer, Lanston Galloway, Luke Kennard and Glen Robinson. Did I miss anyone? So it would appear that if the coach wants to create something better for the future he should be playing Brown and Thomas a lot of minutes and maybe try Kennard at starting point guard. Reggie Jackson should be coming off the bench or starting at shooting guard even though he can't defend either guard position.

The Pistons are boring and predictable. On most nights opposing teams look forward to playing the Pistons because they can rest on defense. Keep it up Dwayne. Keep those players in their spots and make sure there is no screening, ball movement or player movement with the exception of Blake Griffin moving a lot. Win or lose, the Pistons have the reputation as being the more boring or dull team in the entire NBA.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Reggie!

Post  Sparma Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Wow. Good stats, BallinD!

BallinD wrote:The Detroit Pistons are +0.4 points per 100 possessions (50th percentile) when Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson are on the floor. (So-called big 3)

They're +10.5 points per 100 possessions when Griffin and Drummond are on the floor without Jackson.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Weggie B. Weggie

Post  BallinD Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:20 pm

The Detroit Pistons are +0.4 points per 100 possessions (50th percentile) when Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson are on the floor. (So-called big 3)

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty This Stuff Is Insane

Post  WTF Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:09 am

Of course these players are poorly coached I mean could you imagine LB allowing CB, Sheed, Rip, and Tay to just blindly jack up 3's and hope for the best on the defensive end? 

When is the last time we saw a Pistons head coach actually coach to the strength of the players and devise a system both offensively and defensively? Could you imagine Chuck, LB, and Flip going into game without a plan on how to stop or slow an opposing team star players?

Honestly this team could be good with the right coach, will never have the same level of talent as GS, and others.  Guess what LA have talent top to bottom but Chuck had a plan and the Bad Boys won,  in 2004 LA again had more talent but LB had a plan and every player understood the role they played in those plans.  

Chuck had a plan against MJ,  LB had one for Kobe and Shaq.  For the life of me why are we going into games without a plan hell Flip had a thousand plays in his play book and a hundred variations of zone defenses to throw at a team.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Disappointing

Post  Murph Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:15 am

Wise, no one is making excuses.  Their performance over the last two games has been deeply disappointing.  I thought this team had the potential to win 45-50 games, and make it to the playoffs, but after watching them lose at home to a short handed Philly team, and a mediocre NO team, I think this team will be luck to play .500 and make the 8th seed.

You might have a point about the way the offense is being designed.  I can't tell if it's just the injuries and lack a shooters, or if there's a design flaw in the way Casey is drawing up the offense.  Maybe the offense should not be run through Griffin.

This team needs so much to move forward and contend.  It needs at least 2 more good defenders, besides Johnson, Brown and Thomas, it needs 2 more good shooters, it needs an accomplished PG and it needs a much better starting SF.

WTF wrote:Don't start making excuses now people.   Things are starting to look eerily similar to last years 39 win season start so it seems but I could be wrong perhaps it just a hiccup in the road to all your hopefulness to a mediocre season of a slightly above .500 season.

Whatever happen too the idea of coaching for each opponent, matchups or just simply having a game plan other than lets just jack up 3's and try to play tough defense oppose to smart defense.   Smart defense often starts with smart offense and having a plan of attack.   I miss smart coaching ala LB, Chuck, Flip and Rick maybe that style of coaching is to complexed for today's dumb players.   Everything is so dummied down that players aren't allowed to think anymore.  

Just shoot 3's and hope they fall, and try to stay on your guy is plan stupid.  SMH.    I laughed because many of you have already made excuses for this team by proclaiming the schedule too tough during this month.   We never said this crap win our championship teams were playing hell don't really recall making this type statement for any of our squads.  Seem like after 2009 this is a comment thing to do.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty This Pistons team are what they are...

Post  Phil-Good Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 am

This team is lacking almost any NBA level talent but I like this GROUP. They like each other and they play hard for coach Casey.

I like Coach Casey. He good. Blake is good. Drummonds is good.

This team had A few parts.

Reggie Jackson has to move on for this team to move forward. If Jackson stays, 6th man role only.

Again, this team sucks but it's because Injuries and lack of Talent.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty New Orleans

Post  Sparma Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Weird game, with the guy who normally torments us out for a lot of the game. I guess Holiday acquired some of his superpowers, cutting through our "D" like jelly, and maybe Randle too.

Still, a lot of things went pretty well on O. Yes, Dre missed some bunnies, as Deus points out, but he also dominated on the offensive boards. And Griffin did his normal thing. 35 has become no big deal.

Galloway went off on his 27th birthday, including his personal 10 point streak. I notice he has an uncanny ability to be in the right place on O, cleaning up after Blake today, after Dre the other day.

And useful offensive designing by Calderon. Kelser commented on how effective he is at feeding the big guys. He hasn't forgotten how to shoot; that will come back with enough time. And as bad as he is on D, overmatched physically, his quick hands usually lead to a good play or two.

The D seemed terrible to me, but I guess we held the Pelicans a couple points below their average. Stanley would have helped v Holiday!

But basically, not having a go-to, fluid, scorer wing like Holiday really limits the O. Galloway kinda stepped in in the role on his birthday, but he's more part of a potent bench, than the scorer we need a la Booker.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Pick & Roll or is it Kick & Roll?

Post  deusXango Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:20 pm

How many "bunnies" did Drummond miss today? If he made half of them, what would his stat line look like? What would the score have been? I'm not going to get into how frequently his shot is blocked or how often he gives up the ball when he's stripped by guards.

I could not believe that Reggie didn't get his first basket until the 4th quarter. He's not pouting, like when SVG suggested he shoot less and pass more, is he? The only thing I find more unbelievable is Coach Casey saying at a press conference that Reggie (one of our Big3) couldn't find his shot...3 quarters and the Great Reggie Jackson, couldn't find a way to get the ball in the hole??!!! I'd have settled for 10 points out of the guy since he was having an off night.

"Don't start making excuses now people. Things are starting to look eerily similar to last years 39 win season start so it seems but I could be wrong perhaps it just a hiccup in the road to all your hopefulness to a mediocre season of a slightly above .500 season."-WTF

I believe you may be on to something Wise, these last 4 games looked like sh!t. It wasn't about who we played, but how we played. It ain't no excuse!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty LMAO!!!!!!

Post  WTF Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Don't start making excuses now people.   Things are starting to look eerily similar to last years 39 win season start so it seems but I could be wrong perhaps it just a hiccup in the road to all your hopefulness to a mediocre season of a slightly above .500 season.

Whatever happen too the idea of coaching for each opponent, matchups or just simply having a game plan other than lets just jack up 3's and try to play tough defense oppose to smart defense.   Smart defense often starts with smart offense and having a plan of attack.   I miss smart coaching ala LB, Chuck, Flip and Rick maybe that style of coaching is to complexed for today's dumb players.   Everything is so dummied down that players aren't allowed to think anymore.  

Just shoot 3's and hope they fall, and try to stay on your guy is plan stupid.  SMH.    I laughed because many of you have already made excuses for this team by proclaiming the schedule too tough during this month.   We never said this crap win our championship teams were playing hell don't really recall making this type statement for any of our squads.  Seem like after 2009 this is a comment thing to do.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Trouble

Post  Sparma Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Have to agree with your analysis, Murph.

I can't even remember having heard of Muscala, but he had 3 blocks, along with another three by Simmons, three more by Chandler for a 12-3 blocking edge.

Combine that with 7-28 from outside, and you don't have much of a chance.

Doris Burke, correctly, praising the big duo of Blake and Andre at the half. When the Pistons pulled away, AD really put pressure on the basket, eg, with a clean up by Galloway.

Bad call on Kennard, followed by the tech on Casey, an early part of a 13 point run that pretty much decided the game.

Blake's got some beef, but dirty play by him on the elbow on Butler and then running into Redick (who wasn't set so that BG drew the foul) that drew the approval of Mahorn.

Just not good enough, but it sucks to get outworked at home too. Big time loss.

Murph wrote:And just like clockwork the season begins to unravel at the exact same time as last year.  The Pistons lost at home against Philly, even without Embiid, and looked bad doing it.   Imagine how bad it would have been had Embiid played?

Without Johnson, the Pistons defense was ineffective against both Simmons and Butler.  Simmons went wild with 18 pts, 14 rbds, 6 asts and 4 blks, most of them on Drummond.  Butler had 38 pts, 6 rbds, 6 asts and 3 stls.

The Pistons are officially in deep sh*t.  
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Horror Show

Post  Murph Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:09 am

And just like clockwork the season begins to unravel at the exact same time as last year.  The Pistons lost at home against Philly, even without Embiid, and looked bad doing it.   Imagine how bad it would have been had Embiid played?

Without Johnson, the Pistons defense was ineffective against both Simmons and Butler.  Simmons went wild with 18 pts, 14 rbds, 6 asts and 4 blks, most of them on Drummond.  Butler had 38 pts, 6 rbds, 6 asts and 3 stls.

The Pistons are officially in deep sh*t.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Philly

Post  Sparma Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:03 pm

A must win now, with Embiid out.

Still I wonder how it will unfold. I'd thought Drummond would be in the right frame of mind to hold his own. If he ever learns to use his physical force on O, instead of finesse, he could put even someone like Embiid under pressure on O. On D, he's up against it with Embiid; not much hope there, unless Embiid's off his game a given night. (Or out).

It will be interesting to see how Casey handles Ish being out in the longer run. In the short term, I'd think Calderon really steps up his minutes.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty 3-5 Weeks

Post  Murph Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm

So Ish is likely out for 3-5 weeks.  So he should be back in time to get back into game shape before the trade deadline.  The Pistons should hurry Ish back, get him up to speed and trade his expiring contract to a contender for a young player or 2nd round pick.

Drummond needs to not take Embiid's bait.  Drummond needs to stay at home, not go for Embiid's fakes and stay out of foul trouble.  Drummond should let Embiid score to avoid fouling, if he has to.  Embiid is going to score anyway.  

On offense, Drummond needs to avoid the whole tit-for-tat thing with Embiid, and that means don't take any crazy hook shots down low, and don't shoot any 3 pointers.

Is Drummond smart enough to play within himself?  We'll see.

Scratch that.  Embiid is thankfully out for tonight.  Let's hope the Pistons can win this one!

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Ed? Ed Stefanski? Where are you?

Post  deusXango Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Tonight's game against the 76ers means so much to the Pistons season; either they win and enjoy a temporary respite or they loose and continue their plunge to begin playing sub .500 ball. We need help and changes should be made now...waiting for the trade deadline is for the desperate or the foolish and in our case both those are apt descriptions, unless Ed Stefanski, gets busy and do what his predecessors refused to do and that was be proactive! There are some trades that can be made now, to improve this team, and they should be made. If we're not going to start working on lowering the payroll today, what day are we realistically waiting on? Since we seem to be enamored with low hanging fruit, toss these names around for while.

Kelly Oubre Jr.-SF He comes cheap from Washington, is better than anyone we can run out to start and is tough as nails. He has the DNA we're accustomed to.

Damyean Dotson-SG For whatever reason the Knicks don't seem to appreciate this guys talent and he's on the verge of a major breakout...Knicks lose, Pistons gain. Another player playing for peanuts but, let's not overlook the fact, he can shoot his ass off!

Khyri Thomas-SG He's ours already! Stefanski speaks to Casey about playing the rookie in front of the contract (Langston "Fools Gold" Galloway) and strengthen our bench play, which has been key to our success thus far.

We have an undependable starting unit and Griffin, Drummond, and Jackson need better perimeter play to make things work. Bullock is okay, when healthy, but he's been increasingly injury prone lately and Robinson III just plains suck as a starter. This is why Oubre Jr. and Dotson have caught my eye...they could have a future here.

Instead of naming who should be traded I'll simply name who I think should be here: Griffin, Drummond, Jackson, Johnson, Kennard, Brown, Thomas, Zaza and Jose. Bullock and Smith are injured now and to me that's limbo.

I really hope Drummond doesn't let Embiid punk him out tonight...there are some skills that Drummond possess that can humble Embiid, if he plays to the strength of those skills. Redeem yourself big fella.

If Stanley Johnson forget about winning attention and accolades and Casey plays him extended minutes tonight, Jimmy Butler could have an old fashioned ass kicking coming...Stanley has proven he's a force to be reckoned with, when engaged.

The marquee matchup tonight could be Simmons v. Griffin...that's excellent theatre folks. When it comes to finesse, the most brutal should win out. The young boy is not wise enough to outshine the old vet.

GO PISTONS
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Embiid Remix

Post  WTF Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Same song likely a longer version of ass whipping on AD
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty So Is That It for Ish?

Post  Murph Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:04 am

So Ish Smith left the game on Wed night after feeling a pop in his groin.  That can't be good news.  He went for and MRI, but if it's groin pull, that takes forever to heal.

Ish is already on an expiring contract, and doesn't figure into the Pistons future.  His only value to the team is running the 2nd unit on a win-now basis.  We might have been able to trade his expiring contract for a 2nd rounder to help out a contender, but not now that he's hurt.  

One way or another, this surely represents the beginning of the end of Ish's tenure in Detroit.

So who will run the 2nd unit in Ish's absence?  The obvious choice is Calderone.  I'm also hoping that Brown will get some increased minutes, and that the Pistons will bring up Keenan Evans from the G-League.  Evans has been playing well in Grand Rapids, and he's shooting the 3 ball well.  I'd like to see what he can do in the NBA.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty $$

Post  Sparma Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks WTF. I drew from this site: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/cap/. One thing I got wrong, against my better knowledge, is that Leuer pulls in 10 mil, making up just over 8% over cap space according to the site. That means nearly 70% of the cap size goes to 4 players, with only the top two remotely worth their pay. And even then.... What a mess!

WTF wrote:[th]NO[/th][th]Name[/th][th]POS[/th][th]Age[/th][th]HT[/th][th]WT[/th][th]College[/th][th]Salary[/th]
6Bruce BrownSG226' 5"202 lbsMiami (FL)$838,464
25Reggie BullockSG276' 7"205 lbsNorth Carolina$2,500,000
81Jose CalderonPG376' 3"200 lbs-$1,512,601
0Andre DrummondC256' 11"279 lbsConnecticut$25,434,263
8Henry EllensonPF216' 11"245 lbsMarquette$1,857,480
12Keenan EvansPG226' 3"190 lbsTexas Tech-
9Langston GallowaySG266' 2"200 lbsSaint Joseph's$7,000,000
23Blake GriffinPF296' 10"250 lbsOklahoma$32,088,932
1Reggie JacksonPG286' 3"208 lbsBoston College$17,043,478
7Stanley JohnsonSF226' 7"245 lbsArizona$3,940,402
5Luke KennardSG226' 5"206 lbsDuke$3,275,280
30Jon LeuerPF296' 10"228 lbsWisconsin$10,002,681
18Zach LoftonG266' 4"180 lbsNew Mexico State-
27Zaza PachuliaC346' 11"270 lbs-$1,512,601
22Glenn Robinson IIISG246' 6"222 lbsMichigan$4,075,000
14Ish SmithPG306' 0"175 lbsWake Forest$6,000,000
13Khyri ThomasSG226' 3"210 lbsCreighton$838,464
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty FYI

Post  WTF Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:11 pm

[th]NO[/th][th]Name[/th][th]POS[/th][th]Age[/th][th]HT[/th][th]WT[/th][th]College[/th][th]Salary[/th]
6Bruce BrownSG226' 5"202 lbsMiami (FL)$838,464
25Reggie BullockSG276' 7"205 lbsNorth Carolina$2,500,000
81Jose CalderonPG376' 3"200 lbs-$1,512,601
0Andre DrummondC256' 11"279 lbsConnecticut$25,434,263
8Henry EllensonPF216' 11"245 lbsMarquette$1,857,480
12Keenan EvansPG226' 3"190 lbsTexas Tech-
9Langston GallowaySG266' 2"200 lbsSaint Joseph's$7,000,000
23Blake GriffinPF296' 10"250 lbsOklahoma$32,088,932
1Reggie JacksonPG286' 3"208 lbsBoston College$17,043,478
7Stanley JohnsonSF226' 7"245 lbsArizona$3,940,402
5Luke KennardSG226' 5"206 lbsDuke$3,275,280
30Jon LeuerPF296' 10"228 lbsWisconsin$10,002,681
18Zach LoftonG266' 4"180 lbsNew Mexico State-
27Zaza PachuliaC346' 11"270 lbs-$1,512,601
22Glenn Robinson IIISG246' 6"222 lbsMichigan$4,075,000
14Ish SmithPG306' 0"175 lbsWake Forest$6,000,000
13Khyri ThomasSG226' 3"210 lbsCreighton$838,464
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Stating the Obvious re $$ or A Way Forward?

Post  Sparma Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Among 47% of our cap space goes to two players, and 61% to three players. Then there's guy who seems like he might be able to play some minutes usefully who pulls in over 8 mil. What a disaster!

It's been pointed out, correctly, that relief's on its way in the next year or two, if we can be patient.

As I see it, we're keeping numbers #1 & #2, making money tight for the foreseeable future. I suspect Reggie J's worth more to us than in a realistic trade.

Stating the obvious: we've got to use the rest of our budget well.

What we can't do any more: make dramatic mistakes on high draft picks (bypassing Booker and Mitchell).

We also can't lightly get rid of 2nd rounders for late season reinforcements as happened with SVG last year. Hold on to your picks, also 2nd rounders. See if you might be able to add one or two, maybe in trades with Leuer and Galloway leaving.

What we need to do: give the young players plenty of opportunities. As critical as I've been of Stanley's distance shooting, if he's willing to stay on for a reasonable salary next year (without bumping Bullock) keep him, by all means.

Slot in Kennard as starter as soon as you can.

It's obvious that in looking for bargains, you use guys on rookie deals as much as possible. Casey may be just the guy to bring that out, unlike SVG.

It's less obvious that good deals are also found on the other end of the spectrum, with older guys like ZaZa and Jose on vet minimum deals. Take some chances; again, I think Casey may be a good coach to pair with guys looking for a last chance (instead of the overpriced mediocre vets like Leuer and Galloway that SVG favored). For instance, much as I've been a Carmelo critic, if we could bring him in for the minimum, while trading Leuer for a dud expiring and a 2nd rounder, I'd be in favor of that (Carmelo's pretty much a PF now Langlois says, who's totally against acquiring him). Swing away, because this year's not going to amount to much anyway, while at the same time aiming for a reenforced and financially more sensible roster in the longer term. If not Carmelo, with his troubling long range twos (heard him described as The Last Ballhog), maybe another vet on a minimum. Chris Bosh, anyone?

Also, not too long from now, I think we're going to need to jettison Ish (and his 6 mil) -- much as I've enjoyed him in spite of his limitations -- and scrounge around for a vet minimum PG. Maybe Calderon himself could play that role, if Kennard got some minutes as nominal PG while Blake directs traffic. If we have the deadly December I expect, I'd go ahead with an Ish deal, if it meant getting a decent 2nd rounder in return (within the NBA trade constraints, of course).

That's not a blueprint for a championship, just for some sensible budgeting, that might allow us to make the most of our era with two super expensive centerpieces. The present roster's a mess, at least from a financial perspective!

I'm not seeing the realistic prospect for the kind of long term tanking that draws me, with deep franchise commitments to two guys, and a new arena that's ordinarily not a "hot gym" in need of some star drawing power. But goodness sake, some commonsensical roster restructuring's needed. Maybe, just maybe, Stefanski has something of the sort in view. Go cheaper where possible, which generally means going younger, but sometimes means going old in spots to keep the boat afloat while retooling.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next