Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+8
Phil-Good
cool breeze
Sparma
Oracle
Go Stones!
Murph
WTF
KaySlay
12 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty There is still room!

Post  KaySlay Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:51 pm

FORUM - Page 18 17264610
KaySlay
KaySlay

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  merc Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:24 pm

The way the Wolverines switch the P&R and then recover is impressive... not sure why the Pistons can't grasp this concept.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Response & Stanley

Post  Oracle Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:04 pm

BallinD wrote:According to Mr. Big Shot:    “The Pistons are really talented; I didn’t anticipate them being in this position at this part of the season. I thought they’d be in the 5 or 6 (seed) range,” Billups said. - DX regularly notes this too, and I agree. Injury has been more of a problem this year(Arnie is missed), but the coaching has been way more suspect than last year.

“When it gets tough, the one thing they haven’t been able to do that is critical is bite down and get four or five stops in a row and score when the game is on the line.” - We seriously need to change this. 

Still learning to play as a team.  Still learning what kind of effort is required.I don't think that's the issue, it can't be learning because they regularly did that last year, however, it may be remembering the kind of effort that's required.   From here to the end of the season, the learning curve is steep.  We will see how hungry they are, since they have officially acknowledged every game is a must win from here on out.

If Reggie and Ish can take turns being closers, we have a shot.  We know KCP can be clutch, as can Reggie.  We know Marcus can shoot us to a win on occasion.  We know Tobias is capable of being a top tier complimentary scorer, Dre should get us boards and Stanley can help us get stops.  It's a motley crew, but the going to work boys were as well.  Getting to the second round is improbable, but possible if they do as Chauncey suggests.  bite down and get four or five stops in a row - This meshes with the first thought, the talent is here, we need both the coach and the players to step up, and we need to take care of business against the Knicks
IMO, SVG needs to loosen the reigns on Stanley Johnson!

He's accomplished his focus on defense and now he needs to be given more latitude to unleash his offense that we've seen coming around.

Like KCP, he needs to focus on a well rounded offense and don't limit himself to 3 point shots. Both guys can hit the 3, but they're both more effective if they get to the basket or pull up for midrange jumpers as well.

They both would benefit from developing a good floater.

If we relax, the future for this team is bright, but it will take coaching to deliver the goods.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Chauncey's Take on Things

Post  BallinD Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:04 pm

According to Mr. Big Shot:    “The Pistons are really talented; I didn’t anticipate them being in this position at this part of the season. I thought they’d be in the 5 or 6 (seed) range,” Billups said.

“When it gets tough, the one thing they haven’t been able to do that is critical is bite down and get four or five stops in a row and score when the game is on the line.”

Still learning to play as a team.  Still learning what kind of effort is required.  From here to the end of the season, the learning curve is steep.  We will see how hungry they are, since they have officially acknowledged every game is a must win from here on out.

If Reggie and Ish can take turns being closers, we have a shot.  We know KCP can be clutch, as can Reggie.  We know Marcus can shoot us to a win on occasion.  We know Tobias is capable of being a top tier complimentary scorer, Dre should get us boards and Stanley can help us get stops.  It's a motley crew, but the going to work boys were as well.  Getting to the second round is improbable, but possible if they do as Chauncey suggests.  bite down and get four or five stops in a row
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Oracle wrote:I simply used your words. Maybe you missed this in the conversation that you weren't a part of.

Ballin(blue)/Oracle(red) wrote:Can't and don't wanna argue that point Oracle.  Can't agree either, especially as it is the consensus view(I know I'm not in the mainstream on this, but I respect you guys view).
Don, I already conceded that I'm not in the mainstream on this, but I understand how you guys can have a different opinion.

However, I do feel compelled to note that the evidence simply doesn't support it. I can understand a group of people being against Laimbeer, but EVERYBODY??? That's just a bridge too far, IMO.

Having said that, your transgender stuff is LOL funny..

Don wrote:I am not sure how this transgender subject can be used to support my position on Bill Laimbeer. However, I will not be surprised to see the day when fans will see their basketball stars coming out of the locker room in skirts and high heals. No disrespect was intended Oracle. Go Pistons!

You are correct Oracle. I didn't read the previous discussions so I stand corrected. However, I dispute your statement that "the evidence doesn't support it" but who knows. My best guess is that being Bill Laimbeer is not an ass kisser and the fact that he is a very busy man relating to his business pursuits would lead me into thinking that he doesn't have a strong desire to become a head coach or GM in the NBA. He liked working in the WNBA because there is was less politics and no ass kissing required. My opinion stands that if he did take on a front office job in the NBA, he would be outstanding. I suspect that he would be out scouting the college players personally much like Danny Ainge. One of the problems under Joe Dumars was the fact that he delegated a lot of things to his scouting team. Believe me, I saw some of his staff in person at games years ago and couldn't imagine how they were ever placed in that role of evaluating talent within the NCAA. The selection of Rodney White was not shocking to me knowing who was advising Dumars at the time. Dumars was willing to do a lot of ass kissing to win his job in the front office. To Joe's credit, he pulled off a miracle in creating that vet team that won the championship. We can never forget that fact. However, one does not have to have the charming personality to be a GM. You need to be smarter than the other GMs and be well organized and creative. Laimbeer would have done things more like Ainge who is extremely driven with superior brain power. Would Laimbeer have decided to trade Billups for Iverson and not know he would be destroying the heart of that group of champions? Not knowing how much Billups meant to that team was amazing and difficult to understand being that Dumars had been a player on a championship team. To think that Iverson could come in and replace Mr. BigShot showed me the GM was AWOL during that time period. No Laimbeer would have milked it as long as possible and would have kept the team intact and added another combo guard. Then he would have let the team slide down to the bottom and build the team with the top talent through the draft not flounder around signing Will Bynum, Ben Gordon and Charlie V so the Pistons would be only the 7th or 8th worst team in the league. Laimbeer is too smart of a guy to ever do that. Notice that Danny Ainge has one of the best coaches in the league and he is young. He also is in position to get the number one overall pick this coming June. When I think of what has happened to this Piston organization from the moment that Billups was traded to today, then I believe that Stan Van Gundy has actually performed a miracle himself to get this group of players in position to possibly secure the 7th seed in the playoffs. We all know that there is very little chance this team can win a series. The chances that the current group of players will suddenly improve to the point where they can compete for the title in the future is not reasonable based on their lack of improvement this season and the money that has been spent on the type of players who have high paying long term contracts. I say the Pistons are a mess now and might be a mess for several years to come. I think that Bill Laimbeer would have the Piston organization looking a lot more like Boston than the Pistons right now. And this June Detroit doesn't have the opportunity to draft anyone in the 2nd round. There are some good players who will be drafted in the 2nd round damn it all. The moral to this story is that NBA owners should hire the best and brightest or smarted people available who might have a emotional connection to their team and eliminate the ass kissers from consideration.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty SVG comments on the Indiana game

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I just retrieved the post game press conference interview with Stan Van Gundy. "We only played 4 good minutes in the entire game". Boy was that a the truth. Most likely the players are used to this type of talk by Stan and just let everything Stan says go in one ear and out the other. Maybe all the GMs in the NBA should include language in all new contracts something to the effect that fines could be issued to players who fail to listen listen or fail to execute the basic game plan for each individual game during the regular season. The fines could include failure to execute the basic fundamentals such as boxing out and allowing 2nd chance opportunities because of lazy or stupid play. Woule a fine system make them make players more accountable? Is the Pope Catholic? I am sure that countless assistant coaches have gone through the basics of boxing out on the defensive boards and receive nasty responses or a blank look that players create when they have massive guaranteed contracts. I don't want to single out Andre Drummond as the biggest offender of not doing the right thing because even the starting Piston guards don't seem to believe that boxing out is in their job description either. But just think of how quickly our Piston players would come around and suddenly execute the game plan created by the coaches for each game. The coaches could go through game film after games and then locate the players that failed to listen or were just too tired to do the right thing. A system of fines could greatly improve the overall product don't you think? The players could have the opportunity to argue each specific mental or physical error they received fines for with their agents as the GM sits with the coaches who make the charges. A good reality series could be created by fans who get to film these encounters. The players would know that they could be in for a tough time for not showing up ready to play each NBA game in the regular season. The late night party hardy experiences might be reduced and players might finally get home before 3 AM. Imagine how much money Andre Drummond could lose each month after the coaches shave off a big portion of his one million dollar per month contract. The total numbers concerning player fines for inept behavior could be presented to the NBA Front office so as to argue about cap limits as the total player payroll could be greatly reduced if this idea could be implemented by all teams in the league. I am thinking more and more that our players have selective attention spans and the Piston coaches are actually working hard to help the players. If that is not true then how was it that Morris could have such a fantastic impact on his teammates during a short timeout. No the sad thing is that so many players with those fantastic contracts hurt themselves more than they know because they know that they don't have to do the right thing. All parents should drum that statement into their kids brains at a young age and never stop saying it. DO THE RIGHT THING REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Cleaning up the lazy behavior and the mind set of players who can now say, screw you coach I don't give a crap about your game plan is something that needs to be done before the overall quality of the NBA game declines to the point where the television revenue dries up because of low ratings due to the current emphasis on playing mindless AAU 2 on 2 or 2 on 3 type of basketball. Just a thought but it would be fun to see the score cards on fines for our players after a dull loss like the last Indiana game.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Don

Post  Oracle Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:32 pm

I simply used your words. Maybe you missed this in the conversation that you weren't a part of.

Ballin(blue)/Oracle(red) wrote:Can't and don't wanna argue that point Oracle.  Can't agree either, especially as it is the consensus view(I know I'm not in the mainstream on this, but I respect you guys view).
Don, I already conceded that I'm not in the mainstream on this, but I understand how you guys can have a different opinion.

However, I do feel compelled to note that the evidence simply doesn't support it. I can understand a group of people being against Laimbeer, but EVERYBODY??? That's just a bridge too far, IMO.

Having said that, your transgender stuff is LOL funny..

Don wrote:I am not sure how this transgender subject can be used to support my position on Bill Laimbeer. However, I will not be surprised to see the day when fans will see their basketball stars coming out of the locker room in skirts and high heals. No disrespect was intended Oracle. Go Pistons!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Oracle wrote:
Don wrote:I am with you Ballin. Oracle as decreed that Bill Laimbeer's days have passed. Does he believe that Isiah Thomas is finished as well due to their age?
As usual Don, you can't see past your own bias. Nobody decreed anything, I CLEARLY stated that it was my own outlier opinion.

Zeke was both a coach and a GM with a keen sense and ability to pick talented players. Laimbeer has displayed NONE of that, and lacks Zeke's ability to communicate.

Even worse, you don't have whatever it is(I won't name it) to respect the opinion of others(I stated that I respect yours).

As Trump would say... Sad!

That sure looks like an argument of intimidation on your part Oracle. I believe that your analysis of Bill Laimbeer's potential is way off the charts wrong. Somehow by saying that, it has evoked an emotional response that is not happy but instead very sad. And what does respect have to do with this? Somehow you have come up with insight into the reasons why Bill Laimbeer has not been hired by any NBA teams except for his brief stint as an assistant coach. I am standing with Bill Laimbeer as all of the female players who he coached would also do. They know that he is a great communicator. He is a very professional person who has run business enterprises very successfully outside of basketball. Don't you believe that one has to be a good communicator to be successful in the business world? I suspect that you know very little about Bill Laimbeer at all Oracle. He is not a kiss ass type of person for sure. I don't believe that Zeke is either. Your statements remind me of so many people who have emotional feelings about political leaders and actually know next to nothing about what is going on and who the individuals really might be. The press was able to turn Arron Burr into a villain back in the day. As some historians have found out, it was Alexander Hamilton who owned the publishing companies and tried to ruin Burr by publishing lies about his character. Then there is Admiral Halsey of WW2 times who had a public relations team in New York making up false heroic stories about Halsey while the sailors under his command thought he should have gone before a court martial for being a coward and drunk. The main Stream Media in the sports world condemned Bill Laimbeer long ago as a dirty player. Robert Parish hated it when Bill would box him out and play fundamentally sound basketball. Parish slugged Laimbeer from behind in a way that cowards do but the press thought he was justified. You can have your opinion and your right to your reality as they say.

How do you feel about the following subject? I believe that men might self identify that they are women but that doesn't mean that they should be allowed to use the girls bathroom in Jr. High school. Somehow our court system has created another reality for all females in America where the final judgment relating to gender does not involve basic biology. How did they pull that off? Have I created another (sad) thing to ponder? The sensitivities of the millions of parents and their young girls are insignificant compared to the sensitivities of the small number of Men who proclaim or (self identify) that they are really women inside.

I am not sure how this transgender subject can be used to support my position on Bill Laimbeer. However, I will not be surprised to see the day when fans will see their basketball stars coming out of the locker room in skirts and high heals. No disrespect was intended Oracle. Go Pistons!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Get Well

Post  Oracle Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Uncle Cliffy!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Don...

Post  Oracle Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Don wrote:I am with you Ballin. Oracle as decreed that Bill Laimbeer's days have passed. Does he believe that Isiah Thomas is finished as well due to their age?
As usual Don, you can't see past your own bias. Nobody decreed anything, I CLEARLY stated that it was my own outlier opinion.

Zeke was both a coach and a GM with a keen sense and ability to pick talented players. Laimbeer has displayed NONE of that, and lacks Zeke's ability to communicate.

Even worse, you don't have whatever it is(I won't name it) to respect the opinion of others(I stated that I respect yours).

As Trump would say... Sad!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Well Now,

Post  lemonpen Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Maybe the leadership question has finally been answered. Time will tell. In time we will also see how many guys are willing to follow, steadfastly battling to the end, night in and night out.

After the New York Patsies come and go we will get a better feel for how real this new toughness is when we face the Cavs again, in the Flats.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:46 pm

BallinD wrote:
Oracle wrote:I loved the way the Bad Boys played!

Those days, with all the good... and the bad, are gone!

Pining for them won't bring them back, and too many people have said no to Laimbeer for me to believe there isn't a flaw in there somewhere.

Sorry Ballin, I'm not with you on this, we do need another coach, but I don't want one who's just like the one we have where the game has passed them by

Can't and don't wanna argue that point Oracle.  Can't agree either, especially as it is the consensus view.  Consensus view is wrong often enough I never trust it, and because the "flaw" is conjecture on the part of those (not saying you) who:

1. Hate "Bad Boy" Bill Laimbeer
2. Hate on him because he coached Women's BBall
3. Never coached, were never champions, are not as BBall smart as him
4. Express fear that he is too abrasive and will never be able to control a locker room of current NBA babies, because he is direct, strong-willed, unorthodox.  (They said he would be too tough to successfully coach women, were wrong about that)

I believe he would be nothing but an asset to help with our players who need "coaching up," especially Drummond, who very soon will be pretty much a finished product and could use a good "big man" coach ASAP.  GEEEZZZ, he certainly would be hard pressed to be worse than Aaron Gray.

I am with you Ballin. Oracle as decreed that Bill Laimbeer's days have passed. Does he believe that Isiah Thomas is finished as well due to their age? Both of those men know a lot about how to win. Laimbeer was able to do the impossible by taking over a women's team and making them not only fun to watch but turning those female players into champions. He has a certain mindset that is difficult to duplicate. So age or this slogan that "time has passed him by" is foolish. The reason why Zeke and Laimbeer were champions is very simple. Both were never satisfied as players and were always improving which only comes with exceptional hard work. But Laimbeer is so damn smart at identifying and picking apart opponent weaknesses as a player, he was able to communicate this trait to those great women basketball players who played for him. Every women who did have the privilege to have Bill as their coach would tell you he is special in a good way. He showed that he could teach female players the fundamentals and when I watched them play, it was clear that they played different from players on opposing teams.

I think that Laimbeer would be a fantastic GM because he is able to evaluate players so well and he is so damn smart there is no way other teams could get the upper hand in typical day to day dealings in management of the organization. Why this Piston owner did not hire him as the GM is insane. I think Tom Gores listened to the wrong people. Bill Laimbeer is under stated as we could tell from his half time interview this past week. He has this analytical flat style ingrained in his personality. Maybe he really is not interested in coaching in the NBA because it seems that is the truth. But in a role as GM, especially for our Pistons there is no way the owner could go wrong. I have nothing against Stan Van Gundy's leadership but why not get the best you can find for our Pistons and Laimbeer would be the best option for long term success. SVG has made the Pistons better in the short term but not so good in planning for long term planning to build a champion caliber team. This is water over the dam now so all we can do is hope for the best with this current management team. I would love to see Zeke as the head coach and Laimbeer running the front office. If it never happens, it won't be for the reasons that Oracle stated. Those two have not lost a step relating to their knowledge and ability to impart that knowledge to young players. Players like Stan Johnson would give anything to have the privilege to just be around those men.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty SELF POLICING

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Make sure that you read the article about one player who stood up during a timeout to use the old expressing kicking ass and taking names. Morris instead of SVG took charge during a timeout and called out his teammates for their bad behavior on the hardwood. If you don't want to play like a man go hide in the locker room. This message fits our Bad Boy leaders from the past. Bill Laimbeer mentioned the fact that no NBA coach can actually impact a team as much as good leaders who play the game with their teammates can do when it comes to calling out lazy ass behavior during games. Many players who make few mistakes are reluctant to say anything because if they do that means they have to also give maximum energy too. There is no turning back and taking moments off if you step up and become a leader on an NBA team. Morris lit a fire under the asses of his teammates and they are thankful he did it. Great Job after digging a big hole early on which has become the norm for the starters to start games playing at half speed. Jackson and Drummond showed how impactful they can be if they are all in for the team.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty If you missed the game...

Post  Oracle Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Full Game Highlight.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Fantastic Oracle

Post  deusXango Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:43 am

Oracle wrote:I've got to give a shout out to 4 guys!

1. Andre Drummond: The big fella showed up and showed out! Grit and Hustle produced a great box score and powered the Piston win! I've been sticking up for the big fella and glad to see him show up like he did...now about that consistency.

2. Reggie Jackson: Yeah that one, the dude from last year showed up! Maybe not 100% Reggie of old, but close enough to get it done! I've been ripping him for a number of reasons that I think were valid but, the last few games have been gems. You go boy, glad that you're coming back!

3. Marcus Morris: Not much in the box score, but he became the one that just couldn't take losing like a bunch of pu$$ies! If he was going to lose, he told them let's lose like men... then they went out and decided to win like men! Who else? The man has led by example since he's been a Piston (surprising us with his offensive game and toughness, both mentally and physically) and the cost for his services is a gift for us. I think he's better than his twin.

4. Stanley Johnson: Wow, I like his game even better than in Indy, and I liked that one a lot! If he keeps this up, he's a real keeper, and will be invaluable in the playoffs! Young man is finding his way; I'm really just beginning to understand how strong this man is, at such a young age.
We've got a heck of a TEAM, in case no ones noticed, and they're beginning gain some momentum as real competitors. Oh, and we've got some hellacious understudies!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty The Human Torch

Post  BallinD Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:13 am

Good awareness by SVG to enlist Mook, Mr. "Short and Chubby" Marcus Morris to "get a fire going" under the Lackluster Pistons. He is the veteran leader this team needs and I've been on SVG a lot this year, but this was a good decision and great timing.

Now it's time to go get that 6th seed. If we can bottle this good feeling...and somehow leapfrog over the pesky pacers.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty The Fantastic 4?

Post  Oracle Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:13 am

I've got to give a shout out to 4 guys!

1. Andre Drummond: The big fella showed up and showed out! Grit and Hustle produced a great box score and powered the Piston win!

2. Reggie Jackson: Yeah that one, the dude from last year showed up! Maybe not 100% Reggie of old, but close enough to get it done!

3. Marcus Morris: Not much in the box score, but he became the one that just couldn't take losing like a bunch of pu$$ies! If he was going to lose, he told them let's lose like men... then they went out and decided to win like men!

4. Stanley Johnson: Wow, I like his game even better than in Indy, and I liked that one a lot! If he keeps this up, he's a real keeper, and will be invaluable in the playoffs!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Ballin

Post  Oracle Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:17 pm

BallinD

Those days, with all the good... and the bad, are gone!

Pining for them won't bring them back, and too many people have said no to Laimbeer for me to believe there isn't a flaw in there somewhere.

Sorry Ballin, I'm not with you on this, we do need another coach, but I don't want one who's just like the one we have where the game has passed them by

Can't and don't wanna argue that point Oracle.  Can't agree either, especially as it is the consensus view(I know I'm not in the mainstream on this, but I respect you guys view).  Consensus view is wrong often enough I never trust it, and because the "flaw" is conjecture on the part of those (not saying you) who: 

1. Hate "Bad Boy" Bill Laimbeer - 
There's some of that
2. Hate on him because he coached Women's BBall - He got a lot of no's well before he punted and went to the womens game
3. Never coached, were never champions, are not as BBall smart as him - Most of the people that turned him down were smart basketball guys, but in fairness, likely BBoys haters
4. Express fear that he is too abrasive and will never be able to control a locker room of current NBA babies, because he is direct, strong-willed, unorthodox.  (They said he would be too tough to successfully coach women, were wrong about that) - I believe this is the biggest issue! He didn't get along with others on or off the court. That works well as a player, but is a non-starter when you have to deal with personalities. I can't put it on current NBA players, there were a fair share of divas in the old days, we just had fewer on our teams.

I believe he would be nothing but an asset to help with our players who need "coaching up," especially Drummond, who very soon will be pretty much a finished product and could use a good "big man" coach ASAP.  GEEEZZZ, he certainly would be hard pressed to be worse than Aaron Gray.  - He would be a good assistant, but again, he doesn't work well with others, so that's a non-starter as well.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Laimbeer

Post  BallinD Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Pining for them won't bring them back, and too many people have said no to Laimbeer for me to believe there isn't a flaw in there somewhere.

Sorry Ballin, I'm not with you on this, we do need another coach, but I don't want one who's just like the one we have where the game has passed them by

Can't and don't wanna argue that point Oracle.  Can't agree either, especially as it is the consensus view.  Consensus view is wrong often enough I never trust it, and because the "flaw" is conjecture on the part of those (not saying you) who:

1. Hate "Bad Boy" Bill Laimbeer
2. Hate on him because he coached Women's BBall
3. Never coached, were never champions, are not as BBall smart as him
4. Express fear that he is too abrasive and will never be able to control a locker room of current NBA babies, because he is direct, strong-willed, unorthodox.  (They said he would be too tough to successfully coach women, were wrong about that)

I believe he would be nothing but an asset to help with our players who need "coaching up," especially Drummond, who very soon will be pretty much a finished product and could use a good "big man" coach ASAP.  GEEEZZZ, he certainly would be hard pressed to be worse than Aaron Gray.

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Can we beat the Pacers?

Post  Oracle Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Not likely unless we get another standout game from Reggie, or Ish becomes the starter!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Retro?

Post  Oracle Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 pm

I loved the way the Bad Boys played!

Sorry Ballin, I'm not with you on this, we do need another coach, but I don't want one who's just like the one we have where the game has passed them by.

As far as the salary cap, the logical thing to do is to go where the money is!
1. Move Reggie or Drummond
2. Baynes will be gone, so that frees up a good amount

Getting better: Sell when the stock is highest
1.  Keep our current picks and hope the 1st round goes deep or that teams go guard crazy and we can land a good PF or defensive Center
2.  If Stanley gets better, he'll command a high pick or if packaged with other unused players, could yield a good prospect.

We can't keep hoping players get better(A friend once told me that... cough, cough, Wise) and we need to make hard but logical decisions.

If Stanley's draft was held again, he'd likely be in the 20's of the first round.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty The Ish That Saved Detroit and Laimbeer

Post  BallinD Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Zach Lowe has named Ish a starter on the "Luke Walton All Stars -- "a list of role players, journeymen, and castoffs thriving in unexpected circumstances."

Lowe: "Detroit has been worlds better on both ends with Smith in Reggie Jackson's place. The ball zips to the right places, at the right times. Smith has seized a ton of crunch-time minutes, and Stan Van Gundy even discussed starting him. (Jackson neutered that discussion with his crunch-time pick-and-roll evisceration of Chicago on Monday.) Opponents go under almost every pick, daring Smith to shoot and staying attached to the other Pistons. Detroit muddles through. Smith has hit 41 percent of his long 2s, a career best. You can't build a functional offense atop that shot, but in the 40 percent area, it's a workable option at the end of the shot clock -- and when defenses give Smith enough time to measure the wind.
He outraces defenders to the spot under the pick, and gets deep into the paint for floaters and kickouts. He'll fake toward a screener, get his guy leaning that way, and zoom toward the rim."

"Smith has been a dynamite one-on-one scorer when the offense bogs down. He does all this without coughing up the rock; he's third in the entire stinking league in assist-to-turnover ratio, behind only Chris Paul and Andre Iguodala.
He's even blocking shots! Smith has smacked 0.7 rejections per 36 minutes, putting him on pace for the second-best shot-blocking season ever for a player listed at 6 feet or under.
He's too wild on defense, and of little use off the ball when Detroit goes into its motion offense. Any team talking about starting Smith is in some turmoil. But he has done more than his part to keep Detroit afloat.
He leverages the threat of his speed to generate switches, and feeds without wasting a dribble:

And as for Laimbeer:

deusXango wrote:Andre's lazy. We need a coach in here that'll rip him in the press, suggest trading him (right after overpaying him, as some constantly stay stuck on) and neglect harvesting the extreme talents of this 23 year old Phenom; it's a waste of time to get a core of coaches in here that'll teach the face of the franchise, keep a foot in his ass until he gets mean, and takes to heart the teaching. Agree 100% and then some.  He is young, malleable, and talented.  Big Bill would do wonders for Andre and all of the Pistons, IMHO!!
There are so many mysteries surrounding Laimbeer's lack of opportunity to lead this TEAM, going back to Joe; one of his teammates and original BAD BOYS member. I'm with you on this BallinD!!
I think he is too smart, too strong and too outspoken...not in the Stupid Van Gundy way, but in a way that rubs egoists the wrong way, because Laimbeer does not suffer fools and has the cajones, the championship playing and coaching pedigree that few others have.  I think it is jealousy, hatred and stupidity that has kept him away from coaching us to another Ship!!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  lemonpen Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:55 pm

cool breeze wrote:
deusXango wrote:
BallinD wrote:Why is Bill Laimbeer not an exec, Asst. Coach, Head Coach for our Pistons?  When he used to commentate for ESPN, it was always Obvious he was the smartest guy in the studio (basketball wise).  Who the He!! is with me!!! facepalm rockon
I'm so glad that someone, other than myself has stood up for Pistons greatness, be given a chance to guide this TEAM, particularly since we were given a gifted big man, who's an extraordinary athlete. I've campaigned for Bill Laimbeer to coach the Pistons, since Tom Gores began his search for new leadership, up until it became obvious that Stan Van Gundy is ill-equipped to successfully coach the Pistons to a CHAMPIONSHIP, then I revisited "Liam's," as recently as a couple weeks ago.

Fans (SVG apologists) will either ignore you, make excuses that favor the current regime based on Laimbeer's' lack of NBA head coaching experience, or talk about how he's too old for making the switch from being a successful WNBA coach (like that would somehow limit him) to a successful NBA coach. The man can coach, if given a chance, and the great Chuck Daly himself, said Rick Mahorn would make a great coach someday; Laimbeer and Mahorn have been solid friends since Rick first came to Detroit and effective, smart, and feared/respected NBA competitors as a duo. It's preferable to keep following Van Gundy's slanted way of coaching, and constantly demeaning Drummond, like he ain't sh!t, than getting a genuine, championship hungry, coach in here. Speaking of Drummond, who actually believes that SVG is better for his game than Laimbeer/Mahorn would be for it? What young center has SVG actually developed and I'm not talking about just being there as they grew older?! Who actually believes that Aaron Gray can teach Drummond more of the subtle defensive nuances, that would make him the best big man in the league, than Bill and Rick? No, we're Boogie Cousins dreamers. Let's get us a real headache in here, on top of everything else. Andre's lazy. We need a coach in here that'll rip him in the press, suggest trading him (right after overpaying him, as some constantly stay stuck on) and neglect harvesting the extreme talents of this 23 year old Phenom; it's a waste of time to get a core of coaches in here that'll teach the face of the franchise, keep a foot in his ass until he gets mean, and takes to heart the teaching.

There are so many mysteries surrounding Laimbeer's lack of opportunity to lead this TEAM, going back to Joe; one of his teammates and original BAD BOYS member. I'm with you on this BallinD!!

I can't stop thinking about Laimbeer and his comparison to the days when the NBA played a 5 man game to this point in time where fans are tricked into buying into pure entertainment and calling it basketball. Bill perfectly described the problems with today's game with the emphasis on one on one - two on two or two on three play instead of playing a real five man game. The result is exactly what Laimbeer stated which is the current NBA is hard to watch if you know basketball at all. The game is the only type of basketball that Andre Drummond could ever make a team on. He is not alone either. If you are athletic and can run and are really big, there is a home for you in the NBA regardless of how you play. Just get those meaningless stats and you can get a $20 mil contract.

It is clear that Bill Laimbeer wants no part of coaching anymore at least in the NBA. The women's game is still a 5 on  5 type of game with some strategy involved. However, I believe that Bill Laimbeer would kick ass and take names as a NBA GM. He can identify problems and fix problems. There is not way he would have built this retarded basketball team that we currently call the Detroit Pistons. There is no way he would ever advise the owner to give Pope a max contract or anything near the amount his agent is asking. And Drummond would have been traded last year. He would not have signed Boban or Smith either. No Laimbeer would have done his homework and somehow got this franchise in position to get get a real franchise player in the draft long ago. My wish would be that Tom Gores fire Stan Van Gundy and turn this team over to Bill Laimbeer and Isiah Thomas. I would love to see Thomas as the head coach and Laimbeer making the long term plans for Piston success. For some reason this owner refuses to make sound hiring decisions in the front office and his coaching staff. He will be forced to do something as the fans keep losing interest even though this group might make this playoffs this year. We can all see how this team plays. The chemistry is off. The overall team basketball IQ is about as low as it can get. Every playoff team would love to be matched up with the Pistons. Can anyone expect that next season Stan Van Gundy will not come back with a starting lineup of Jackson, Pope, Drummond, Leuer and Morris? Signing Pope to that big contract will guarantee more dreary nights of boredom unless most of us decide to move on to better entertainment as most Piston fans did many years ago.

I'm good with a little retro bball as long as there is no intent to return to the 4 corners offense. bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce Sleep Sleep Sleep
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm

deusXango wrote:
BallinD wrote:Why is Bill Laimbeer not an exec, Asst. Coach, Head Coach for our Pistons?  When he used to commentate for ESPN, it was always Obvious he was the smartest guy in the studio (basketball wise).  Who the He!! is with me!!! facepalm rockon
I'm so glad that someone, other than myself has stood up for Pistons greatness, be given a chance to guide this TEAM, particularly since we were given a gifted big man, who's an extraordinary athlete. I've campaigned for Bill Laimbeer to coach the Pistons, since Tom Gores began his search for new leadership, up until it became obvious that Stan Van Gundy is ill-equipped to successfully coach the Pistons to a CHAMPIONSHIP, then I revisited "Liam's," as recently as a couple weeks ago.

Fans (SVG apologists) will either ignore you, make excuses that favor the current regime based on Laimbeer's' lack of NBA head coaching experience, or talk about how he's too old for making the switch from being a successful WNBA coach (like that would somehow limit him) to a successful NBA coach. The man can coach, if given a chance, and the great Chuck Daly himself, said Rick Mahorn would make a great coach someday; Laimbeer and Mahorn have been solid friends since Rick first came to Detroit and effective, smart, and feared/respected NBA competitors as a duo. It's preferable to keep following Van Gundy's slanted way of coaching, and constantly demeaning Drummond, like he ain't sh!t, than getting a genuine, championship hungry, coach in here. Speaking of Drummond, who actually believes that SVG is better for his game than Laimbeer/Mahorn would be for it? What young center has SVG actually developed and I'm not talking about just being there as they grew older?! Who actually believes that Aaron Gray can teach Drummond more of the subtle defensive nuances, that would make him the best big man in the league, than Bill and Rick? No, we're Boogie Cousins dreamers. Let's get us a real headache in here, on top of everything else. Andre's lazy. We need a coach in here that'll rip him in the press, suggest trading him (right after overpaying him, as some constantly stay stuck on) and neglect harvesting the extreme talents of this 23 year old Phenom; it's a waste of time to get a core of coaches in here that'll teach the face of the franchise, keep a foot in his ass until he gets mean, and takes to heart the teaching.

I can't stop thinking about Laimbeer and his comparison to the days when the NBA played a 5 man game to this point in time where fans are tricked into buying into pure entertainment and calling it basketball. Bill perfectly described the problems with today's game with the emphasis on one on one - two on two or two on three play instead of playing a real five man game. The result is exactly what Laimbeer stated which is the current NBA is hard to watch if you know basketball at all. The game is the only type of basketball that Andre Drummond could ever make a team on. He is not alone either. If you are athletic and can run and are really big, there is a home for you in the NBA regardless of how you play. Just get those meaningless stats and you can get a $20 mil contract.

It is clear that Bill Laimbeer wants no part of coaching anymore at least in the NBA. The women's game is still a 5 on 5 type of game with some strategy involved. However, I believe that Bill Laimbeer would kick ass and take names as a NBA GM. He can identify problems and fix problems. There is not way he would have built this retarded basketball team that we currently call the Detroit Pistons. There is no way he would ever advise the owner to give Pope a max contract or anything near the amount his agent is asking. And Drummond would have been traded last year. He would not have signed Boban or Smith either. No Laimbeer would have done his homework and somehow got this franchise in position to get get a real franchise player in the draft long ago. My wish would be that Tom Gores fire Stan Van Gundy and turn this team over to Bill Laimbeer and Isiah Thomas. I would love to see Thomas as the head coach and Laimbeer making the long term plans for Piston success. For some reason this owner refuses to make sound hiring decisions in the front office and his coaching staff. He will be forced to do something as the fans keep losing interest even though this group might make this playoffs this year. We can all see how this team plays. The chemistry is off. The overall team basketball IQ is about as low as it can get. Every playoff team would love to be matched up with the Pistons. Can anyone expect that next season Stan Van Gundy will not come back with a starting lineup of Jackson, Pope, Drummond, Leuer and Morris? Signing Pope to that big contract will guarantee more dreary nights of boredom unless most of us decide to move on to better entertainment as most Piston fans did many years ago.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Your turn in the pool brother

Post  deusXango Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:29 am

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next