Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+8
Phil-Good
cool breeze
Sparma
Oracle
Go Stones!
Murph
WTF
KaySlay
12 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty And Another Thing

Post  BallinD Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 am

Why is Bill Laimbeer not an exec, Asst. Coach, Head Coach for our Pistons?  When he used to commentate for ESPN, it was always Obvious he was the smartest guy in the studio (basketball wise).  Who the He!! is with me!!! facepalm rockon
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty One Cent

Post  BallinD Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm

We can hang our hat on one Dre attribute; he leads all centers in steals. He's very handy. clap In fact, no other center is in the top 50 in steals this year. clap

And his shoulder hair is I think, the longest of any center in the league. Jus Sayin lol! lol!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty My Two Cents Before I Vanish

Post  WTF Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Andre: Oracle those stats look impressive but not only does the eye test tells something different so did the non-takers at trade deadline. Kinda sad we can look at those numbers and still want to trade him even sadder that we couldn't get anyone to bite on a trade. I use to say this about Moose when his stats were tossed around like they meant something "they don't mean two turds because they're meaningless in the greater picture" At the end of the day those numbers need to translate into wins and the impact should be more meaningful.

6th Seed: lemonpen sure would be nice if they could grab that 6th spot come playoffs, I like our chances better going against the Wizards better I do facing the Cavs or Celtics. I'm keeping my fingers and toes half cross still not confident they'll get fully focus and stay focus down the stretch.

Murph we have dump one of them I really didnt care which one though. If we don't get out of the first it'll be one of their fault I'm sure. But I agree our chance are better for an upset of the Wizards
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Stats

Post  lemonpen Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Oracle wrote:The point wasn't to believe the stats, I agree, my eyes tell a different story.

The point was that he isn't the worst center in the association, and he's not so bad that nobody can win a championship with him. Until someone does ..............

He is what he always was... a Project, and at 23 years old, hardly a finished one!

The rankings cited certainly do verify Drummond's ability to board with the best. (unless the best is familure with a technique called boxing out) Was just surprised at how rapidly the writer extrapolated DPOY out of those numbers.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Lemon

Post  Oracle Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 pm

The point wasn't to believe the stats, I agree, my eyes tell a different story.

The point was that he isn't the worst center in the association, and he's not so bad that nobody can win a championship with him.

He is what he always was... a Project, and at 23 years old, hardly a finished one!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Movin' On Up

Post  Murph Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Another nice win last night.  We've now won 13 out of our last 21.  Hopefully, Jackson is finally coming around, and the Pistons are finally righting the ship.  

As others have pointed out, we currently hold the 7th seed, one game behind the faltering Pacers for the 6th seed.  If we continue to play well and secure the 6th seed, I don't think it's too unrealistic to hope for a 1st round upset over the Wizards.

I'm glad SVG didn't panick and dump Drummond and Jackson before the trade deadline.  Now all he has to do is hire Laimbeer to replace himself as coach for next year.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Next Up, 6th Seed

Post  lemonpen Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Bring the kind of D we witnessed for 2.5 quarters last night along with that sweet mid-range offense and like the Jefferson's we'll be "Movin on Up".
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Laims

Post  lemonpen Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:01 pm

cool breeze wrote:For those Piston fans who still have this last game recorded on your DVR please go to the 7:56 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. The Pistons are playing defense and are 2 points behind the Bulls. Jimmy Butler gets a side out of bounds pass and moves towards the center of the court out of his 3 point shooting range. Morris is guarding Butler. Drummond is guarding Lopez but is standing out around 4 feet beyond the foul line. He should be maybe one foot past the foul line in that situation. Lopez then moves to the left and sets a weak loose screen on Morris who can easily either go over or under that screen. Drummond doesn't move over to the left and instead stands in place and decides he will switch with Morris and guard Butler after Butler dribbles over to Drummond. Of course that doesn't happen as if any retarded person wouldn't know. No as Morris starts going around Lopez he rolls to the basket with nobody guarding him except for Jackson who runs fast to the center of the paint. Lopez gets another 2 foot shot under the basket. So why didn't Andre Drummond move over with Lopez or just move laterally to the left side of the free throw line and await Lopez rolling to the basket? Either Drummond is brain dead or he is just a lazy ass wimp who didn't feel like moving at all during this big moment. I have one question for Andre Drummond. Do you prepare yourself to play basketball games mentally? I am sure the coaches tell Drummond not to switch in that situation and make sure you pick up Lopez rolling to the basket. That is what Lopez is known for. And the interesting part of this play was the fact that Lopez set a very weak screen that Drummond could easily see that Morris would have no problem getting through with no help. Why was Drummond standing so far out in the first place?

This was a game where Bill Laimbeer was watching Andre Drummond play the center position. Many of us have said through the years that Bill Laimbeer would make a great head coach for the Detroit Pistons. He knows the technical side of the game relating to fundamentals. I am sure that he would have insisted that Andre Drummond be traded long ago but one has to wonder if Laimbeer could get Drummond more up to speed with the mental game of basketball. I doubt it now. I don't think anyone can coach this big man. Like I said this one play in a big game reveals that Andre Drummond is either basketball retarded and not coachable at all or he is a lazy half assed type of player who really couldn't give a crap if his team wins or loses. He is the face of the franchise. That makes Tom Gores look pretty stupid too. This play was used by Chicago about 8 times in this game and it seemed that Andre Drummond failed to do the right thing every damn time Lopez rolled to the basket.

The Piston defense with Drummond and Leuer playing together is very dangerous in a bad way. Leuer of course is light years ahead of Drummond at least relating to the play I described above involving Drummond, but he is also a horrible defender. Knowing that and the way Leuer is currently shooting the ball (horribly) one has to wonder what Stan Van Gundy is thinking. He must have a good reason but I can't figure out what it is.

One bright spot in this game after another terrible start, was the play of Reggie Jackson coming out early in the 3rd quarter. When he hit that difficult baseline 3 pointer against pressure, I said to myself, Reggie still has a special gift. He is a liability on defense for sure but Reggie can create his own shot and when he is on, nobody can stop him. This is the difference between a healthy Jackson and Pope at his best. KCP cannot create his own shot. Pope's ball handling skills are suspect and that is known throughout the league. For the most part, Pope is easy to guard unless he is hitting those low percentage 3 point shots. Our Piston team needs a guy like Richard Hamilton who can consistently come off screens and create his own shot. In time, will that guy be Stanley Johnson? Johnson has lost a lot of weight and looks much quicker. He is smart and in my opinion has only scratched the surface in his ability to create his own shot. I would not give Pope more than a $9M/Y 3 year contract. Maybe attempt to get something in a sign and trade deal but I sure hope management doesn't bet the farm on KCP. The Pistons needed points out of Pope in the first half when other players were struggling to make baskets and Pope was no threat at all. This was a big game where big time players step up and make their mark.

Man did I appreciate Laimbeers comments. As a coach I bet he would be Pop's 2.0.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty No, Nope, Uh-uh, Aw Naw,

Post  lemonpen Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Oracle wrote:Don, this seriously isn't your day, but you never see things... except phantom accomplishments of your favorite players.
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/3/7/14822702/andre-drummond-detroit-pistons-nba-defensive-player-of-the-year-resume wrote:We all know Andre is a rebounding monster but that alone does not a DPOY finalist make. Yet, damn, feast your eyes on the numbers via Basketball Reference:

#1- Offensive rebounds
#3 - Defensive rebounds
#1 - Total rebounds
#8 - Steals
#20 - Blocks
#2 - Offensive rebound percentage
#1 - Defensive rebound percentage
#1 - Total rebound rebound percentage
#11 - Steal rebound
#2 - Defensive win shares
And then there’s this one:
#1 - Defensive rating

WAT.

Yes.

First.

1. Andre DrummondDET 98.22
  2. Rudy GobertUTA 98.33
  3. Draymond GreenGSW 98.84
  4. Hassan WhitesideMIA 99.65
  5. Dwight HowardATL 100.66
  6. Kawhi LeonardSAS 101.17
  7. Anthony DavisNOP 101.48
  8. Kevin DurantGSW 101.49
  9. DeAndre JordanLAC 102.510

The eye test might say different but numbers don’t lie here. He may well be, for his entire career, an offense to the senses on the offensive end but there’s no doubt that he is a force on the defensive end.

I don't buy that one bit. Gotta see the formula. 7 of 11 categories had the word rebounding attached, therefore I'm guessing the calculation is rebounding heavy. When I think of Bennie Wallace, Mount Mutumbo or Worm as DPsOY their rebounding is not, I repeat is not the first event qued up on my synapse hightlight reel. No, it's actual DEFENSE. 1ON1, Mano-e-Mano, chest to chest, stop your man cold kinda defense. Its defense against somebody with a name. The kind of D that made the Round Mound of Rebound wanna fight instead of fighting on.

Dudes like Monroe, Lopez x2 , Gobert, Gortat, Cousins, 40 yr old Duncan, ......... have made Dre their whipping boy.

Andre ? DPOY ? Andre ? My head hurts.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Drummond: Reality Check

Post  Oracle Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Don, this seriously isn't your day, but you never see things... except phantom accomplishments of your favorite players.
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/3/7/14822702/andre-drummond-detroit-pistons-nba-defensive-player-of-the-year-resume wrote:We all know Andre is a rebounding monster but that alone does not a DPOY finalist make. Yet, damn, feast your eyes on the numbers via Basketball Reference:

#1- Offensive rebounds
#3 - Defensive rebounds
#1 - Total rebounds
#8 - Steals
#20 - Blocks
#2 - Offensive rebound percentage
#1 - Defensive rebound percentage
#1 - Total rebound rebound percentage
#11 - Steal rebound
#2 - Defensive win shares
And then there’s this one:
#1 - Defensive rating

WAT.

Yes.

First.

1. Andre DrummondDET 98.22
  2. Rudy GobertUTA 98.33
  3. Draymond GreenGSW 98.84
  4. Hassan WhitesideMIA 99.65
  5. Dwight HowardATL 100.66
  6. Kawhi LeonardSAS 101.17
  7. Anthony DavisNOP 101.48
  8. Kevin DurantGSW 101.49
  9. DeAndre JordanLAC 102.510

The eye test might say different but numbers don’t lie here. He may well be, for his entire career, an offense to the senses on the offensive end but there’s no doubt that he is a force on the defensive end.

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Stanley Johnson: Reality Check

Post  Oracle Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:40 pm

The guy that played 15 minutes, scored 3 points, shot 16% overall, ZERO % from deep(0-2), had 3 fouls, 2 turns, 2 steals and 3 assists is your choice for player of the game??? Decent game by the kid(defensively), but hardly player of the game stuff!

I have no words, but that must be some strong stuff you're using while watching games lol lol lol

BTW, when I see Butler, I hope that's Stanley in 2 years! Stanley is a superior defender, but if he can get his offensive game going, it'd be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup!

Last edited by Oracle on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty 5 TOP PISTON PLAYERS AGAINST THE BULLS AND COMMENTS BY BILL LAIMBEER

Post  cool breeze Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:27 am

STANLEY JOHNSON - This was my choice as player of the game and here is why. Jimmy Butler was having his way in the first half when Morris and Pope tried to guard him. Nothing changed in the 2nd half until Stanley Johnson came into the game. He picked up Butler full court and made his life hell on earth. Johnson took away all of Butlers favorite spots on the floor and prevented his dribble penetration while being able to play his physically without fouling. If you didn't notice, Butler went scoreless for the entire time Johnson was in the game in the 2nd half. Butler was physically beaten. But still soon after Johnson went to the bench, Butler managed to score around 8 more points before the game was over. Johnson's steals and deflections turned the game around for the Pistons. Even more important, Johnson put on an outstanding defensive performance while his shot was not falling. He never let that affect his effort and concentration on defense.

REGGIE JACKSON - Jackson's 2nd half performance on offense was fantastic. He had it all going well with his penetration and shooting. He was also seeing the floor well and making the correct passes. Great job!

TOBIAS HARRIS - Harris played exceptionally hard and some of his drives were powerful and he made those drives and finishes at big moments. He also played tough defense in this game. Great job!

BAYNES - What would this team have done without Baynes in this game. The officials screwed him with their bogus calls but he played his butt off on both ends. Notice when Baynes was in the game, the Bulls pick and roll play with Lopez didn't work. What a huge difference between Baynes mental ability on the court vs Drummond.

MORRIS - This player is old school. He comes to play every night. In the first half, I thought Morris was the one player who didn't fold within the starting unit. He struggled on defense playing Butler but of the starters, Morris was the best option.

Bill Laimbeer's comments about the modern NBA was so cool. Yes he is right this current game is dull because the game is not longer 5 on 5 where you have to use your brain to make everything work. The game is now AAU style of 3 on 3 and 2 on 2. There is no way a guy like Drummond could make a rotation in the old style of NBA. He just doesn't have the basketball IQ to make one of those old great Piston teams. The other comment I liked was Bill's description of Daily's style of coaching. He said his old coach would listen to the players and then let them figure it out and be in control of the game. Now head coaches want to be in the game more but maybe that is because the players are not as tough mentally and need Mother to help them. I see why Laimbeer is not very interested in coaching in the NBA. Something needs to change.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty why the Detroit Pistons will never win in the playoffs with Andre Drummond as their starting center

Post  cool breeze Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:14 am

For those Piston fans who still have this last game recorded on your DVR please go to the 7:56 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. The Pistons are playing defense and are 2 points behind the Bulls. Jimmy Butler gets a side out of bounds pass and moves towards the center of the court out of his 3 point shooting range. Morris is guarding Butler. Drummond is guarding Lopez but is standing out around 4 feet beyond the foul line. He should be maybe one foot past the foul line in that situation. Lopez then moves to the left and sets a weak loose screen on Morris who can easily either go over or under that screen. Drummond doesn't move over to the left and instead stands in place and decides he will switch with Morris and guard Butler after Butler dribbles over to Drummond. Of course that doesn't happen as if any retarded person wouldn't know. No as Morris starts going around Lopez he rolls to the basket with nobody guarding him except for Jackson who runs fast to the center of the paint. Lopez gets another 2 foot shot under the basket. So why didn't Andre Drummond move over with Lopez or just move laterally to the left side of the free throw line and await Lopez rolling to the basket? Either Drummond is brain dead or he is just a lazy ass wimp who didn't feel like moving at all during this big moment. I have one question for Andre Drummond. Do you prepare yourself to play basketball games mentally? I am sure the coaches tell Drummond not to switch in that situation and make sure you pick up Lopez rolling to the basket. That is what Lopez is known for. And the interesting part of this play was the fact that Lopez set a very weak screen that Drummond could easily see that Morris would have no problem getting through with no help. Why was Drummond standing so far out in the first place?

This was a game where Bill Laimbeer was watching Andre Drummond play the center position. Many of us have said through the years that Bill Laimbeer would make a great head coach for the Detroit Pistons. He knows the technical side of the game relating to fundamentals. I am sure that he would have insisted that Andre Drummond be traded long ago but one has to wonder if Laimbeer could get Drummond more up to speed with the mental game of basketball. I doubt it now. I don't think anyone can coach this big man. Like I said this one play in a big game reveals that Andre Drummond is either basketball retarded and not coachable at all or he is a lazy half assed type of player who really couldn't give a crap if his team wins or loses. He is the face of the franchise. That makes Tom Gores look pretty stupid too. This play was used by Chicago about 8 times in this game and it seemed that Andre Drummond failed to do the right thing every damn time Lopez rolled to the basket.

The Piston defense with Drummond and Leuer playing together is very dangerous in a bad way. Leuer of course is light years ahead of Drummond at least relating to the play I described above involving Drummond, but he is also a horrible defender. Knowing that and the way Leuer is currently shooting the ball (horribly) one has to wonder what Stan Van Gundy is thinking. He must have a good reason but I can't figure out what it is.

One bright spot in this game after another terrible start, was the play of Reggie Jackson coming out early in the 3rd quarter. When he hit that difficult baseline 3 pointer against pressure, I said to myself, Reggie still has a special gift. He is a liability on defense for sure but Reggie can create his own shot and when he is on, nobody can stop him. This is the difference between a healthy Jackson and Pope at his best. KCP cannot create his own shot. Pope's ball handling skills are suspect and that is known throughout the league. For the most part, Pope is easy to guard unless he is hitting those low percentage 3 point shots. Our Piston team needs a guy like Richard Hamilton who can consistently come off screens and create his own shot. In time, will that guy be Stanley Johnson? Johnson has lost a lot of weight and looks much quicker. He is smart and in my opinion has only scratched the surface in his ability to create his own shot. I would not give Pope more than a $9M/Y 3 year contract. Maybe attempt to get something in a sign and trade deal but I sure hope management doesn't bet the farm on KCP. The Pistons needed points out of Pope in the first half when other players were struggling to make baskets and Pope was no threat at all. This was a big game where big time players step up and make their mark.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

lemonpen wrote:There isn't much standing in the way.  Just execute, box out and resist falling in love with the long ball.
Nothing except having the coach and the players maintain a "Laser Focus" on just the things you pointed out.

I'll take 2 out of 3, because in SVG's offense, resisting the long ball is impossible.

@Don - Stanley owned last month, and I agree, he has no possibility of getting in a rhythm when he doesn't get the ball or is too scared to shoot when he does, but that's the definition of a bench player, they just have to be ready at all times.

Look for that to change radically next season as Stanley and Ellenson start getting larger roles. I think Ellenson is what we wished Leuer was, especially if he can add a little more weight.

I know you won't agree, but my concern for Stanley is that he has no natural NBA position. The only way around that is to be so good that you can't be ignored. If he can get back on that trajectory, then we're really taking about something.

@DX - When SVG had 2 6'10 guys at the forwards, it was equivalent to having 2 7'2 guys there today. Times have changed, and our two guys are normal size for the SF position and too small height & weight for the PF position. Harris is great in a small ball lineup there, but under normal circumstances he's a SF.

I've posted about this a lot and it's a situation we're going to have to deal with in the future.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Oracle wrote:He's EARNED it!!!
http://pistonpowered.com/2017/03/05/detroit-pistons-stanley-johnson-february/ wrote:Johnson was a standout for the Pistons in the month of February.  With Johnson on the floor, the Pistons out-scored their opponents by 19.7 points per 100 possessions, the best of any player on the team by two full points.
FORUM - Page 19 C6ff-b10

In Stan Van Gundy's AAU lame offensive system, Stanley Johnson has to forget everything he learned from smart coaches ( including his Mother ) He was blessed with though out his career before ending up on the bench as a Piston. The shoot first don't share the basketball and make sure you shoot the rock without making more than one pass SVG half court offense has mystified Johnson. He has never previously played on a team like this. Stanley might go through an entire quarter without touching the basketball on offense. Still he has managed to get some attention because of the stats that you have illustrated. I really believe that Stan Van Gundy must be getting tips from his brother Jeff and most basketball experts consider Jeff an idiot and cannot understand how he has brown nosed his way to announcing the NBA finals for so many years. I have to turn off the sound to tolerate watching those games. SVG has been very disappointing as a head coach. He has everyone looking for their shot. Even Harris is launching shots he shouldn't take this season. Who doesn't do it but Johnson and Bullock. Yes I saw Reggie Bullock playing like Stanley Johnson in this last game where he gave up open 12 footers or longer to pass the ball inside to Baynes several times. That is unselfish basketball where all Piston players know this coach rewards selfish habits Reggie Bullock could have attempted around 7 shots that he sacrificed to do the right thing. What is so frustration for Johnson is that he can see where all the players are on the court within the half court offense as he stands and holds his hands out begging for a pass to come his way. He can see that there is a big man wide open on the weak side and all the point guard has to do is pass the damn basketball to him on the wing so he can get the ball down to the open player. Instead both Reggie Jackson and Ish Smith often look his way and then drive a few feet directly into two or three defenders and then either shoot a wild shot or have to pull back out as the shot clock is about to expire. Both refuse to make that pass to Johnson most of the time. This reminds me of the early days when Billups and Hamilton would only pass the ball to each other and Prince would be wide open begging to touch the basketball. It wasn't until Prince blocked that fast break layup attempt by Reggie Miller in the playoffs that Prince would be respected enough to touch the ball more on offense. I guess it is wrong to even compare Hamilton and Billups to either of our current point guards because those two players were elite players at the time who had high basketball IQs. Still it was puzzling to me to see them only playing one side of the floor and coach Carlisle allowing this to happen.

If a player in Johnson's current status on the team knows he will only get two or three shots a game, then it is difficult for any player to be able to get the necessary rhythm and confidence to make a high percentage of those shots. Johnson has done amazingly well being in that situation. However moving forward for this 20 year old guy something needs to change in his shooting technique. SVG sold Johnson on the idea that he had to change his technique with his jump shot. So he worked on a quicker release over last summer. Before when I watched him as a high school player and one season at Arizona, Johnson would release his jump shot with one hand and he had a nice arc on his shots that always landed softly at the rim. Johnson has amazing accuracy with his jump shot with his original technique that his Mother ( a former professional basketball player herself ) taught him as a young kid. Now he is shooting bullets with very little arc and has both hands on the basketball. His shot looks completely different in a bad way. Somehow he has improved his shooting percentage as this season progressed but I expect that next season he will come back with the quick release but be able to control the ball more with his shooting hand only and the ball should come off his hand at a lower speed which will result in a softer landing around the rim.

Against the 76ers our Pistons did make more passes and moved better without the basketball but still this team is very primitive in the way they run a half court offense. Does SVG run this system because his players as a group just don't have high basketball IQs or is it something else? dX is still questioning the logic of SVG in his insistence on sticking with Reggie Jackson as the starter or for that matter being in the rotation at all. Anyone who watches the games agree with dX that this is not the same Reggie we watched last season and he for sure has cost the Pistons a lot of games because he has been on the court playing at half speed like a wounded bird who is trying to fly but can't. I think he has a medical condition that may not have anything to do with his bad knee. He looks extremely tired after making quick moves. He hesitates driving into the paint. His breathing is labored when he sets up on the defensive end and often just can't stay with his assigned man. Maybe SVG is looking for a miracle at the end of the season and hoping that Jackson can somehow get his mojo back and become the finisher he was last season. This week will tell us a lot as to Reggie Jackson's medical status.

I still believe that the team is much weaker with Leuer on the floor unless he makes every shot he takes. Leuer struggles like no other NBA starter playing the power forward position. What if SVG started both Drummond and Baynes. He loses one outside shooter. The defense is much stronger. It becomes much more difficult for opponents to drive into the paint. And SVG could then take advantage of Boban's size coming off the bench. It is worth a try at least. Leuer has really had a bad month of basketball as a Piston starter. Maybe SVG is trying to develop him but it might be smarter to develop Ellenson instead. Until the lineup changes I will be pulling for every Piston player to have good luck on the hard court. It would be interesting if Detroit could secure something better than the 8th spot in the playoffs. Yet perhaps after this week, our Pistons will have taken themselves out of the playoffs. We have a big week for the Pistons and also the college conference championship playoffs. Then next week we get the first round of the NCAA tournament. How great it is to be alive at this time of year. Go Pistons!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty 7th Seed

Post  lemonpen Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 pm

There isn't much standing in the way. Just execute, box out and resist falling in love with the long ball.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Thanks Oracle, you 'da man!

Post  deusXango Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks Oracle, for making clear what your position was on the Pistons Ratings; it reaffirms the fact that we're more alike than different in our thinking. Now, help me with this:

At the time the TEAM was struggling, it was more of, "it had begun to struggle again, right?" If memory serves me correctly, the TEAM started circling the drain when Reggie suddenly re-appeared in the starting lineup. When SVG suggested he may make an adjustment in the starting lineup (no foot dragging and bullsh!t!ng like he just did with Ish and Reggie) everyone thought it would be the removal of Morris from the starters, not Harris! SVG acted on that like a strike of lightening. When SVG had the reigns of Orlando's franchise, he had two forwards the same size (6' 10"); there's only a 1" difference between them and our forwards, and our forwards were the real strength of the TEAM last year, during the playoff run. At the time the TEAM began to struggle again, no one was calling for the removal of anyone from the starting lineup but, Reggie Jackson, and that call continues today. WTF's up?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty DX, and here's why I favor more PT for Stanley...

Post  Oracle Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:02 pm

He's EARNED it!!!
http://pistonpowered.com/2017/03/05/detroit-pistons-stanley-johnson-february/ wrote:Johnson was a standout for the Pistons in the month of February.  With Johnson on the floor, the Pistons out-scored their opponents by 19.7 points per 100 possessions, the best of any player on the team by two full points.
FORUM - Page 19 C6ff-b10
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Drummond shows that he has the ability to give the Pistons what they need on defense. Will he decide that is the kind of player he wants to be?

Post  cool breeze Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Somewhere along the way, Andre Drummond never defined who he wanted to be as a professional basketball player. When he is finished with his career, will he be invited back to the Pistons home floor to celebrate all the positive memories or will he be forgotten? It is all up to Andre Drummond. Although the 76ers didn't have a real offensive threat playing the center position due to injury, Drummond still showed me that he can rotate quickly when he wants to do it and sure did create some problems with his overall effort in that game. I loved what he did in the 2nd quarter with those steals and how hard he ran from baseline to baseline. He was called for around 4 basket interferance calls in the game but the good thing was that he was trying. His arms and hands were active on defense. His feet were moving. His knees were bend and his legs were spread which really limited dribble penetration. Andre needs to meet with Bill Russell and learn how Bill prepared for every game he ever played in college and as an NBA player. Bill went through every detail he could find relating to how he would approach playing defense in the next game. Then he got his mind ready to go all out once he squared off for the tip off. I think for all big men it is more difficult to become consistent physically and mentally for an entire season. Before Andre Drummond can take that step of being a team leader, he has to show his teammates he is mentally in it to win it every time he walks out on the hardwood before the game starts. Great job Andre Drummond! Keep it going.

Reggie Jackson had a better shooting outing against the 76ers. But there is really something wrong with Reggie. He doesn't look healthy. I watched him carefully after he would sprint for a few seconds either driving to the rim or running the court back on defense. He looks to be out of gas or out of oxygen or in oxygen debt when he turns on the jets. Remember that he went all out in the 4th quarter of games for every game last season. He looked tired at times then too but seemed to have more stamina a year ago. He has lost a key part of his game which is his motor that separated him from others in the 4th quarter this season. Reggie now plays more like a 35 year old point guard with almost every movement he makes a bit more calculated as he ties to conserve his mojo throughout games. Players who are successful NBA players have God given abilities. Their cardio ability is better than the average athlete. The pace of the NBA game is getting faster and faster. We fans see the vast difference between the energy of Smith vs Jackson. To help the team Jackson will need to summon all the mental toughness he can muster to counteract his sluggish body that just is not cooperating with his spirit. Good luck Reggie Jackson.

SVG did a better job of getting more players involved in the game. The only player that didn't get in was Beno. I wondered about that. Maybe SVG doesn't want to create more questions by bringing in Beno especially if he would have showed how well he can run a basketball team. Our Piston players will have a lot of pressure on them this next week. We have some really big games and know what is at stake. If our players can do the unexpected and come out with a streak of wins then they can get themselves in position to take over the 6th or 7th spot in the playoffs. If they come up empty, the team might take themselves out of the playoff picture. This win over the 76ers was nice but Detroit got them on the 2nd or a back to back. Plus injuries made this game pretty easy. I have no idea what to expect out of our players next week. That is the kind of year this has been.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Oracle Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:09 pm

deusXango wrote:
BallinD wrote:
Oracle wrote:@Ballin/DX - I don't like those stats used the way you're using them. It's a GREAT stat when comparing the top trio's in the league and almost useless on pedestrian players. You even hint at it's biggest flaw, by saying(jokingly) you wish we could play 3 on 3.

For the top trio's in the league, they are basically playing 3 on 3 or 3 on 5 because they're that good. For us, that stat doesn't reflect how we win or how we lose, it's in the noise.

Oracle, Like most stats, the net rating for trios is a finger pointing to the moon.  It helps identify areas perhaps one should look at closer, (the moon) rather than focusing on the finger.  In this case, the finger is pointing squarely at the core component (most productive threesome) of our lineups, identify better synergy between players (this three players, vs that three), etc.  

I think particularly in the case of the Pistons, when SVG spews so much "noise" to cover for his wretched and questionable rotations, it is helpful to see which combinations form the core of being more productive on the floor together.
Oracle, do I understand you to be subliminally suggesting that Ish Smith and Tobias Harris don't belong in the starting lineup and Stanley Johnson doesn't deserve to get more playing time? Absolutely not! Just because I agree with the result of a stat doesn't make the stat a valid one to use in all situations! What you detected is that I'm not a hypocrite in the stat game. So yes, Harris & Ish need to start and Stanley needs more PT to develop.

That is my position after reading the Pistons Ratings. Granted, Ish was a surprise with the way he came in, when Reggie was down, and took charge, adjusted to the TEAM, and figured out a way to maximize SVG's philosophy on defense, and spread the offense around by passing the ball. Tobias was playing better than he was last year, in a starting role, and there was absolutely no justification to replace him with Leuer, when SVG did; neither one of them impacted what was wrong with the TEAM, at the time. There was plenty of justification to replace him. We were struggling at the time, and even though it wasn't Harris's fault, it made sense to use a real PF instead of a fake one. Harris should NOT be playing PF, we do need a real one, the hard choice was who plays SF, where Morris is doing a great job. By process of elimination, if you don't sit Reggie, which was the right move, you sit the guy that doesn't fit his position. However, an argument could be made that Leuer is not a starting PF, and it would be a good one.

One of the highest paid players on the roster and the TEAM's leading scorer, sat on the bench in favor of a recently signed 2nd tier FA (who was signed to backup Harris and Morris) makes sense...if that's the case I have no legitimate argument. Most fans love Stanley Johnson, and see a bright future for him, so why not give him more PT?    
On the subject of Harris & Morris, we're going to have to decide who to keep. Morris is going to be cheaper to renew, but Harris is young enough to be in the core for years to come.

Harris will cost more, so it's not going to be an easy choice, but my money is on keeping him... youth tends to win out.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty My 2 cents

Post  deusXango Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:00 am

BallinD wrote:
Oracle wrote:@Ballin/DX - I don't like those stats used the way you're using them. It's a GREAT stat when comparing the top trio's in the league and almost useless on pedestrian players. You even hint at it's biggest flaw, by saying(jokingly) you wish we could play 3 on 3.

For the top trio's in the league, they are basically playing 3 on 3 or 3 on 5 because they're that good. For us, that stat doesn't reflect how we win or how we lose, it's in the noise.

Oracle, Like most stats, the net rating for trios is a finger pointing to the moon.  It helps identify areas perhaps one should look at closer, (the moon) rather than focusing on the finger.  In this case, the finger is pointing squarely at the core component (most productive threesome) of our lineups, identify better synergy between players (this three players, vs that three), etc.  

I think particularly in the case of the Pistons, when SVG spews so much "noise" to cover for his wretched and questionable rotations, it is helpful to see which combinations form the core of being more productive on the floor together.
Oracle, do I understand you to be subliminally suggesting that Ish Smith and Tobias Harris don't belong in the starting lineup and Stanley Johnson doesn't deserve to get more playing time? That is my position after reading the Pistons Ratings. Granted, Ish was a surprise with the way he came in, when Reggie was down, and took charge, adjusted to the TEAM, and figured out a way to maximize SVG's philosophy on defense, and spread the offense around by passing the ball. Tobias was playing better than he was last year, in a starting role, and there was absolutely no justification to replace him with Leuer, when SVG did; neither one of them impacted what was wrong with the TEAM, at the time. One of the highest paid players on the roster and the TEAM's leading scorer, sat on the bench in favor of a recently signed 2nd tier FA (who was signed to backup Harris and Morris) makes sense...if that's the case I have no legitimate argument. Most fans love Stanley Johnson, and see a bright future for him, so why not give him more PT?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Ballin

Post  Oracle Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Ballin, apologies for insulting your basketball intelligence, your take on the stats are exactly correct.

I was just making sure that it was clear. I agree that even the little ones can help form a fuller picture of what needs to be looked at closer.

Now if only we can get SVG with the program Smile

BTW, the Ish starting rumor was just that!

SVG doubled down on Reggie, saying that no one player was the issue... WHAT?

Earth to SVG, we're talking about in your face stats and believing your lying eyes!!!

Oh well, at least Reggie had a good game offensively!
BallinD wrote:

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Noise

Post  BallinD Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:45 pm

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Philly

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Moving into the 4th quarter of a blowout, Reggie's sitting on one assist, along with a +3 (KCP at +32, Ish at +21).
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:43 pm

@Ballin/DX - I don't like those stats used the way you're using them. It's a GREAT stat when comparing the top trio's in the league and almost useless on pedestrian players. You even hint at it's biggest flaw, by saying(jokingly) you wish we could play 3 on 3.

@Don - While I do agree that SVG has the bodies to use in back to back situations, you continue to analyze without stating conditions.

First the back to back situation. With Boban & Beno on the bench, it's almost criminal to not use them when you know your main guys are going to need a blow. He can either use them in each game to limit the minutes of some guys, or use them exclusively in the 2nd game, the possibilities are there, but for whatever reason he won't use them.

Your analysis is mostly correct, but analysis with knowing why it happened doesn't tell the complete story and is useless if you want to correct the reason for the result you don't like.

KCP is the biggest anomaly. You always judge him against guys he, under normal circumstances shouldn't or wouldn't be guarding, but has to because the person at that position is so bad.

But the biggest thing you get wrong is the role the players play on the team. This article sums it up pretty well.

http://pistonpowered.com/2017/02/25/who-is-the-detroit-pistons-franchise-centerpiece/ wrote:The only thing that’s really held him back is his inconsistent role–which has lead to inconsistent offensive numbers– as the team continues to search for its identity that has centered around Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next