Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+7
Go Stones!
Oracle
cool breeze
lemonpen
WTF
merc
Phil-Good
11 posters

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Stan as faultfinder

Post  Sparma Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Baltimore's Earl Weaver was my favorite manager even though the O's made life rough for the Tigers year after year. They had some devastating talent, but Weaver also did a great job of filling out the roster. He looked for what a player could offer, more so than his liabilities, covering for weaknesses with crafty platooning. Of course, Boban should be a great strength off the bench. He'd be exposed, maybe, if he played 35 mpg, but that's not where we're at. C'mon Stan, do something creative. Or just put the guy in and watch good things happen, as they have in his admittedly limited minutes. I agree BallinD: nothing wrong with putting pressure on the opponent for once.

Will Bynum used to do that, when used effectively. His game had massive holes, but also he could give the D something they couldn't handle, in limited minutes.

BallinD wrote:How can our backup center be a liability and a question mark?

Never saw the light of day all season.  Last four games got the starts.  Played 20 minutes per game.  Averaged 16 pts and 10 rebounds in two wins and two losses.  Fans were "Going Crazy."  We beat Houston, 27pts in 28 minutes, who had no answer for him and were not playing their scrubs. We beat Memphis.  He had a freaking stratospheric PER of 29.70 for the season. We were a net -8 with Drummond on the floor, but yet all people can think to say is how can we possibly play Boban?  How will we defend?

I'm asking a question here, not making an exact comparison, vs. stars, but hey, why in the hell can't we play him, or at least acknowledge we need to play him????.  I recognize it was a small sample size, but its not like it was in isolation.  He did the same for SA.  

And he did the same earlier in the season when stonehand Baynes was out.
Boban:
15 pts in 12 minutes vs Orl. on 3/24
13 pts in 16 minutes vs GS on 1/12
15 pts in 22 minutes vs Cha on 1/5

Steph Curry...They hide him on defense. wink wink
James Harden...They hide him on defense. wink wink
Weggie Jackson...They hide him on defense. wink wink

Cool:  We keep our young core of Kennard, Johnson and Ellenson adding maybe two additional young guys as time moves forward. ( Maybe SVG will find a keeper or two in the summer league games) We keep Harris, Morris, Smith, Boban (if he can defend) and trade Jackson, Drummond and Leuer for an established center/power forward defensive orientated player.

Again, I ask.  Is it against the law to make other teams react to us?
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Please Help Me Understand

Post  BallinD Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:29 pm

How can our backup center be a liability and a question mark?

Never saw the light of day all season.  Last four games got the starts.  Played 20 minutes per game.  Averaged 16 pts and 10 rebounds in two wins and two losses.  Fans were "Going Crazy."  We beat Houston, 27pts in 28 minutes, who had no answer for him and were not playing their scrubs. We beat Memphis.  He had a freaking stratospheric PER of 29.70 for the season. We were a net -8 with Drummond on the floor, but yet all people can think to say is how can we possibly play Boban?  How will we defend?

I'm asking a question here, not making an exact comparison, vs. stars, but hey, why in the hell can't we play him, or at least acknowledge we need to play him????.  I recognize it was a small sample size, but its not like it was in isolation.  He did the same for SA.  

And he did the same earlier in the season when stonehand Baynes was out.
Boban:
15 pts in 12 minutes vs Orl. on 3/24
13 pts in 16 minutes vs GS on 1/12
15 pts in 22 minutes vs Cha on 1/5

Steph Curry...They hide him on defense. wink wink
James Harden...They hide him on defense. wink wink
Weggie Jackson...They hide him on defense. wink wink

Cool:  We keep our young core of Kennard, Johnson and Ellenson adding maybe two additional young guys as time moves forward. ( Maybe SVG will find a keeper or two in the summer league games) We keep Harris, Morris, Smith, Boban (if he can defend) and trade Jackson, Drummond and Leuer for an established center/power forward defensive orientated player.

Again, I ask.  Is it against the law to make other teams react to us?
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Houston Chronicle Headline: Rockets Acquire Paul AND Hilliard

Post  Sparma Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:14 pm

And the Pistons receive cash considerations.

Fifth trade of the day for Houston!?

Along with BallinD I ask: what do we Pistons fans have to hope for before the season begins?

Oracle wrote:
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/rockets-to-acquire-darrun-hilliard-from-pistons.html wrote:June 28th 2017 at 1:58pm CST by Luke Adams

The Rockets’ busy day continues, according to Sam Amick of USA Today (via Twitter), who reports that Houston will acquire Darrun Hilliard from the Pistons. The move is the fifth reported trade today for the Rockets.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Rockets To Acquire Darrun Hilliard From Pistons

Post  Oracle Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:12 pm

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/rockets-to-acquire-darrun-hilliard-from-pistons.html wrote:June 28th 2017 at 1:58pm CST by Luke Adams

The Rockets’ busy day continues, according to Sam Amick of USA Today (via Twitter), who reports that Houston will acquire Darrun Hilliard from the Pistons. The move is the fifth reported trade today for the Rockets.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:53 pm

BallinD wrote:1. Another superteam now with Houston going all in on CP3. Looks like the trend ain't going nowhere. Will they play with two balls in Houston?
2. Jackson out in NY...so what, Knicks are a joke outside of KP
3. Cavs still in the mix for PG?
4. Pistons...on nobody's radar for nothing. We fans can hope? What exactly are we hoping for?
@DX@Cool, great analyses and DX, great revelation. Now can we please build a team the right way, High BBIQ players, some big trades and lottsa luck.

What are the odds SVG is gonna wake up? I say 40%

BallinD I say the odds are around 70% now after Drummond's idiotic comments over the summer. I think SVG wants to take back his statement that he will match any offers for Pope. Just because he said it doesn't mean the owner is all in with this Pope nonsense. The team has a few players who think the right way and three young guys 21 and under who have the basketball IQ and work ethic to make Piston fans happy. If management wants to suffer through another season with even more empty seats then we will know who they are and finally when the wake up we will see film of them packing their bags no longer employed by the Detroit Pistons. Nobody says the things that Drummond has said if they don't want to be traded. Why not just spit in SVG's face?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:39 pm

deusXango wrote:Don, a tip of my hat to you for two great posts, back-to-back. tb Stanley Johnson, Henry Ellenson, and Luke Kennard should be prominent pieces in the rotation for the next two years, regardless of what old fogies' say about "winning now;" winning now is a fool's dream, with the NBA landscape being what it is and where the Pistons are in their current state of development. Tobias Harris and Marcus Morris should be keepers also, as they posses high basketball I.Q.'s and are all we need in the way of "seasoned veterans." These are players that can be talked to and get positive results, instead of talked at and the negative feelings generated spreading through the team like a cancer. High I.Q.'s mixed with a desire to win, will yield the hoped for results by playing for the future. Elongated arms (Reggie Jackson) and bogarting muscle men who rebound their asses off (Andre Drummond) don't guarantee solid defenders, if there is no intelligence behind their physical gifts. This is why I find it easy to accept Luke Kennard; I'm so glad we drafted him over Donovan Mitchell.

George Hill, Avery Bradley, and Kelly Olynyk would be welcome additions, but the thought of bringing back re-threads like Tolliver, Jerebco, Afflalo, or Jennings, for any imagined reason, sickens me. I'm all for moving on to the new. "Hell to the naw" on Rudy Gay! I've been so exposed to all the negatives of Drummond shortcomings that Don constantly posts, that I've overlooked one simple thing, we can't get into the playoffs with the leagues #1 rebounder! He can't carry this team, when needed. A lot is wrong with that picture. I vote for Reggie Jackson making the All-Star team on some other team, if that's in the cards for him, but it's been demonstrated that he doesn't fit this team. KCP has never been mentioned as an All-Star candidate, nor been #1-5 in any area of top "3 and D" players, so why discuss an outrageous contract with him/agent at this time? He doesn't care about the teams future, or making it better, just getting paid. To me those three represent LAZINESS, SELFISHNESS, and GREEDINESS! Even at pennies on the dollar (which is hyperbole to excite fan fear) we should be able to obtain team improvements by the acquisition of high I.Q. basketball players (like those mentioned), who'd love playing together.

As long as the "death knell" of the Detroit Pistons isn't sounded, I don't care who is brought in to coach this team as long as he has no problem playing young players, is an innovative offensive minded coach who can make adjustments on the fly, can rally and inspire team unity, and capable of putting together a solid coaching staff; the death knell would be, SVG selecting his brother to be the next Head Coach of the Detroit Pistons! I knows there are some Jeff Van Gundy supporters out there, because a lot of fans don't see anything wrong with Stan's approach to coaching this team, that he put together, but it's been a terrible failure so far. I was a part of the "dump Fat Joe" regime, in the end, but in the beginning Joe Dumars took his first year as executive leader of the Pistons learning how to lead from the #1 chair, whereas SVG jumped right in like an old pro and didn't know sh!t from shinola.

It is good to hear that someone else has a similar take as mine dX. Make sure that you read the article about Ellenson "Ellenson's rite of passage" today. Henry Ellenson is 20 years old with a 6 foot 11 inch frame and has lost a lot of fat and replaced it with muscle. He weighs around 240 pounds which is within 10 pounds of where Drummond should be if he would ever decide to get himself in shape. Drummond should not be carrying 270 to 290 lbs. if he ever expects to be able to block a shot next season. But I want to forget all about Andre Drummond and his attitude and lack of a professional work ethic. Again I can't forget that interview involving Larry Bird after his team lost to Magic and the Lakers in the finals. Directly after the game with sweat running down his face Bird said that he needs to get back to work because there is nothing to say now other than our team consists of nothing more than a bunch of losers. He had that pissed off look on his face just like Zeke and Laimbeer had when they lost. Being that Drummond is content to push his Halo burger, why bother even talking about him anymore? Meanwhile this article on Ellenson is very encouraging. He busts his nose in pick up game before the Summer League starts. That reminds me of playing in the summer with my older brother and friends which would usually end in bitter fights over the summers. The most encouraging information to come out of that article was the emphasis Henry is making relating to playing defense. I never ever heard that from Andre. Even though Stan Van Gundy tips toes around Drummond's fragile personality, he has made a point to discipline his draft picks Johnson and Ellenson to let them know what he expects from them on the defensive end. Ellenson is only 20 and Johnson and Kennard are 21 years old so in my books those three players who all have the kind of character to play the right way and work hard to improve gives me a lot of hope for the future. I sure want them to get the playing time which will allow them to improve faster. It is OK for SVG to be hard on his young guns but he also must look long term and be fair. If he is going to keep judging the young guys on their defensive effort, he has to be more objective and discipline the players he gave a free pass to over the past season. If Andre wants to rest more then let him rest on the bench while he watches Ellenson and Boban play center while working to trade him. Ellenson is big enough to play against most of the centers in the NBA. And he is blessed with extremely quick feet for a big man. And again Ellenson is engaged or mentally into the game of basketball.

All this nonsense about KCP has been created by his powerful agent and Piston management has to let him go and wish him luck. I see this team shaking out much the way you mentioned. We keep our young core of Kennard, Johnson and Ellenson adding maybe two additional young guys as time moves forward. ( Maybe SVG will find a keeper or two in the summer league games) We keep Harris, Morris, Smith, Boban (if he can defend) and trade Jackson, Drummond and Leuer for an established center/power forward defensive orientated player, a guy like George Hill to play point guard or get vets with expiring contracts with some 1st round and 2nd round draft picks. Add some high character vets for short term service to full out the team. Maybe or at least I hope SVG has a long term strategy close to this plan.

The Easiest player to trade might be the highest paid player who believes he is the team leader as long as the expectations are not over inflated. We move Andre first. Jackson and Leuer are almost impossible to trade now based on their ability to play plus unfriendly contracts. So we need to hope that both come back and have a few solid months before the trade deadline. There is still a chance that SVG can find a new home for Drummond if things shake out the right way for teams who want to add the key top rated free agents. The Pistons get a top 5 draft pick and draft a top rated point guard or center/power forward whoever has the best chance to become a super star next summer. The core young kids become solid two way players with great team chemistry. They love playing with each other and will not want to move away when their contracts expire. The Pistons are back in business in a big way and in a great financial position. We will be able to say GO PISTONS! The Piston fan base explodes and the arena is full.

Bring back this same crew of losers who don't recognize or care that they are losers by keeping Drummond, Pope and Jackson will cause more punishment of the Piston fan base. The empty seats in the new arena will look much like the Palace in recent times. Because the losers continue to run the team our young core gets screwed while being frozen out on offense and smothered in general mindless dysfunction. Then the young core of good guys will want to move out of Detroit. This is the choice Stan Van Gundy and the owner have and they must know it by now. Detroit will be successful if they get themselves back in good financial standing and develop their young talent while adding some high end draft picks and a solid two way starting point guard. Add a mature defensive minded shot blocker at the 4 or 5 and the Pistons will emerge as the most favorite sports team in Detroit again. It appears the Lions might have something for Michigan fans to be hopeful for but the Pistons, Red Wings, and Tigers have tough times ahead and need outstanding management decision makers to turn those franchises around. Will SVG do the right thing for the game of basketball in Detroit????

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Open Eyes

Post  BallinD Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:36 pm

1. Another superteam now with Houston going all in on CP3. Looks like the trend ain't going nowhere. Will they play with two balls in Houston?
2. Jackson out in NY...so what, Knicks are a joke outside of KP
3. Cavs still in the mix for PG?
4. Pistons...on nobody's radar for nothing. We fans can hope? What exactly are we hoping for?
@DX@Cool, great analyses and DX, great revelation. Now can we please build a team the right way, High BBIQ players, some big trades and lottsa luck.

What are the odds SVG is gonna wake up? I say 40%
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Whew!

Post  deusXango Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Don, a tip of my hat to you for two great posts, back-to-back. tb Stanley Johnson, Henry Ellenson, and Luke Kennard should be prominent pieces in the rotation for the next two years, regardless of what old fogies' say about "winning now;" winning now is a fool's dream, with the NBA landscape being what it is and where the Pistons are in their current state of development. Tobias Harris and Marcus Morris should be keepers also, as they posses high basketball I.Q.'s and are all we need in the way of "seasoned veterans." These are players that can be talked to and get positive results, instead of talked at and the negative feelings generated spreading through the team like a cancer. High I.Q.'s mixed with a desire to win, will yield the hoped for results by playing for the future. Elongated arms (Reggie Jackson) and bogarting muscle men who rebound their asses off (Andre Drummond) don't guarantee solid defenders, if there is no intelligence behind their physical gifts. This is why I find it easy to accept Luke Kennard; I'm so glad we drafted him over Donovan Mitchell.

George Hill, Avery Bradley, and Kelly Olynyk would be welcome additions, but the thought of bringing back re-threads like Tolliver, Jerebco, Afflalo, or Jennings, for any imagined reason, sickens me. I'm all for moving on to the new. "Hell to the naw" on Rudy Gay! I've been so exposed to all the negatives of Drummond shortcomings that Don constantly posts, that I've overlooked one simple thing, we can't get into the playoffs with the leagues #1 rebounder! He can't carry this team, when needed. A lot is wrong with that picture. I vote for Reggie Jackson making the All-Star team on some other team, if that's in the cards for him, but it's been demonstrated that he doesn't fit this team. KCP has never been mentioned as an All-Star candidate, nor been #1-5 in any area of top "3 and D" players, so why discuss an outrageous contract with him/agent at this time? He doesn't care about the teams future, or making it better, just getting paid. To me those three represent LAZINESS, SELFISHNESS, and GREEDINESS! Even at pennies on the dollar (which is hyperbole to excite fan fear) we should be able to obtain team improvements by the acquisition of high I.Q. basketball players (like those mentioned), who'd love playing together.

As long as the "death knell" of the Detroit Pistons isn't sounded, I don't care who is brought in to coach this team as long as he has no problem playing young players, is an innovative offensive minded coach who can make adjustments on the fly, can rally and inspire team unity, and capable of putting together a solid coaching staff; the death knell would be, SVG selecting his brother to be the next Head Coach of the Detroit Pistons! I knows there are some Jeff Van Gundy supporters out there, because a lot of fans don't see anything wrong with Stan's approach to coaching this team, that he put together, but it's been a terrible failure so far. I was a part of the "dump Fat Joe" regime, in the end, but in the beginning Joe Dumars took his first year as executive leader of the Pistons learning how to lead from the #1 chair, whereas SVG jumped right in like an old pro and didn't know sh!t from shinola.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Good interview with Stanley Johnson talking about what he knows about Kennard and Ellenson & CBS Sports take on signing Pope and players Detroit might be interested in this summer

Post  cool breeze Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:27 pm

Reading the comments by Johnson makes me realize how young he is. I had almost forgotten that he has been in the league for 2 years but has just turned 21 years old. WOW. The core players of the future might be Johnson, Ellenson and Kennard. All three players have high basketball IQs. They need help from special coaches. Do the Pistons have the right coaches? I hope so because I want to see those three on the court together next season.

CBS Sports recommends that Detroit let Pope walk due to his price tag and knowing that the Pistons backcourt is a beyond bad. Here are some players CBS Sports believe he Pistons are interested in.

1. George Hill - I say he would be a refreshing improvement. Team first and pass first player who can defend and post smaller players well. High basketball IQ point guard should always be welcome.

2. Kelly Olynyk - Kelly was up and down in the playoffs with Boston but he did get playoff experience and he is a lot smarter than Andre Drummond. Trade Drummond to Boston to include Avery Bradley and Boston's first pick next year. Bradley had several outstanding performances in the playoffs so I doubt Boston would part with him but they need a big center to make things work.

3. Rudy Gay - this is not a likely thing Detroit would do or Gay would agree to.

4. Justin Holiday - No comment on this player

5. Jonas Jerebco - I like it. Maybe I am the only person on this forum that still likes Jonas but there are a lot of fans who used to buy season tickets that absolutely love this guy still. He is a good guy who plays hard and stays in great shape. He showed his ability to hit big shots from behind the 3 point line against Cleveland in the playoffs this year. He is an older player who can help with team chemistry much like Toliver. I think Jerebco is the right choice if only for his appeal with his fan base in Detroit. Jerebco is another player who likes to help the younger players get better. He knows all the tricks that Ellenson is still learning.

Good article CBS Sports.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Basketball 101 - Measurements are only an important tool for agents to sell their players when the only thing the agent can sell is potential

Post  cool breeze Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:35 am

The Chicago combine is a complete joke in many ways as Kevin Durant stated not long ago. Oh look at the wing span isn't that something? The world is full of men and women who have great wing span. If the player who has it is an extremely elite basketball player (meaning he or she has a high basketball IQ, quick recognition ability, and highly developed skill set, then maybe wing span comes into play. What if the player with the greatest wing span can't grasp simple strategy or fundamentals for his position? How does wing span help that player. No this is an agent's thing that has caught on and make fans interested as well as GMs who have no business being GMs..

If you get a chance watch NBA TV where 5 former star NBA players provide a class called "Basketball 101. Guess who provides the most information as instructor and leader of the 5 players who do walk through demonstrations of game strategy. Yes you guessed it -ISIAH THOMAS. I am so damn impressed with his high basketball IQ and his ability to communicate. He is the perfect coach for young kids including high school, college and the young NBA kids. Isiah makes some important statements including the following.

1. To play winning basketball your team must have players who can translate what is placed on the black board to the hardwood. If the coach is designing offensive plays or trying to teach the what, where, how and when relating to how players in each position need to react to game situations, some players can grasp what is being taught and others just do not have that ability and stumble around for their entire basketball career never being able to learn much. If anyone believes that key players on this current Piston roster have the ability to transition what is being taught on the chalk board to the playing surface than you are not watching what you need to be watching. I guess that I should say perhaps that the Pistons coaching should be watching their highest paid athletes and see if they are able to do this one thing.

2. Another great statement Zeke made was this. Teams that talk with teammates or opponents on the court are usually on the winning team. Teams that are silent are usually the losers. What I saw last season a lot was the lack of communicating between Piston teammates.For example in the NBA TV episode I mentioned, Zeke demonstrates how a good point guard should play on offense. He mentioned that Labron James although not a point guard is the best player in the league at executing an offense which is usually the role of a point guard. In the NBA there are now every few point guards who have the ability to actually be the conductor or wise man leader of the offense. Zeke set up Reggie Miller to defend him in the half court offense. He called Shaq out set the scree for the high pick and roll. Zeke states that the point guard should always get to the center of the court usually outside the 3 point line in the NBA. At that position the point guard can see everything including both sides of the court. Now I will stop for a moment to tell you what I saw our point guards do most of the time with the exception of Beno who actually has some brains. Both Ish and Reggie would be going too fast when setting up the half court offense after the defense was set. They would always pick one side of the court to attack and let their defensive man bully them to that side. Now back to the Zeke demonstration where he motions Shaq to come out and set the screen. At that time the point guard must not give away on which side the screen has been set so a point guard has to use his eyes to deceive the defensive man on him. Every little action is important because basketball is a mental game. Physical gifts are nice but everyone has them in some form who play in the NBA. From that point Zeke goes through several options for the point guard but he emphasizes that a good point guard must know the strengths and weaknesses of every teammate he is on the court with and know where they are at all times. This is what made Isiah Thomas great in college and the NBA. He has superior mental skills.

3. Relating to communication, Zeke mentioned while showing how the pick and roll play should be executed and all the options available to a smart point guard or floor leader like Labron, the reaction of players on defense is another matter that he discussed. Just as important, a good defensive player will have studied every tendency of the guy he will be assigned to defend in the next game during the regular season. You just don't show up and expect not to get your ass beat. Zeke spent considerable time talking about how essential it is to communicate with your teammates on defense. We all know that from playing ourselves. But when you are on defense and play the center position and your assigned man moves out to set a pick on the guy defending the point guard, it is mandatory for the center to be the quarterback for the defensive unit. He is the guy who must be the communicator to help his teammate guarding the player with the basketball. Call out the angle and side where the pick is being set before the screen is actually set. That means the center or defender on the screener must be ALERT and on top of his game. The guy who is assigned the screener on defense has to be a smart player or there is no chance of defending the pick and roll because of all of the options available to the ball carrier. So can anyone guess why in big moments of the games involving the Pistons last season Detroit gave up easy baskets? Can anyone recall how Anthony Davis kept scoring using a variety of options using the pick and roll? The Pistons come away from another losing season without learning anything. That is why there is no doubt that Andre Drummond is one of those players who just cannot translate what is taught to him on the chalk board to the court. It isn't that is doesn't want to do the right thing, He just can't grasp what he needs to do and think ahead of all those possible options when playing defense against the pick and roll. And with Reggie Jackson, he is another player who is supposed to be smart like Zeke who just cannot grasp what he should do when playing out on top defending the pick and roll. Neither communicate maybe because they are confused.

Imagine Zeke being the Pistons coach. This nonsense would not have gone on very long I can promise you that. I blame the coaching staff for being asleep at the wheel. Either those two players need to get up to speed or they need to be moved for whatever value the team can get. Again, this is not a matter of a player being young or old. Either you have the basketball IQ necessary to be successful at the NBA level or you don't. There is a lot to learn of course but the key traits must be there or the team is doomed. SVG knows this as well and he is up against the wall after over inflating the value of his players to the press and the owner. It is time to bring in Zeke but maybe this job has been offered and he just doesn't want the headaches. But I think that Isiah Thomas as the GM and head coach would be magic for the Pistons. We need a miracle.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Monte Morris

Post  BallinD Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:17 pm

DX, no worries on Kennard, and it's not just you. I just checked the measureables and it jumped out at me that I never heard anybody criticize Monk for the same stuff Kid Kennard gets lambasted for, that's all.

I have a bunch of friends from Flint who are also Spartans, and they love Morris. I think he may possibly be that unsung stud we need to get on our Summer League Roster. Never saw him play, but I like what I have seen.

SVG, put him on the SL squad and let's see him ball. BTW, when will they be releasing the summer league roster??
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  deusXango Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 pm

BallinD wrote:How in the Hell is everybody from here to Timbuktu ragging on Kid Kennard as having TRex Arms, stubby, etc. when the revered Malik Monk has the exact same physical profile, except he is shorter and his arms are shorter.  Please riddle me that!

Malik Monk: KENTUCKY FRESHMAN AGE: 19.4 HEIGHT: 6'4" WINGSPAN: 6'3 ½" WEIGHT: 197 19.8 POINTS 2.5 REBOUNDS 2.3 ASSISTS 21.7 PER - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-live/ ©DraftExpress

Luke Kennard:  DUKE SOPHOMORE AGE: 21.0 HEIGHT: 6'6" WINGSPAN: 6'5 ¼" WEIGHT: 202 19.5 POINTS 5.1 REBOUNDS 2.5 ASSISTS 24.7 PER - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-live/ ©DraftExpress
BallinD, as far as I know, I started that sh!t about the wingspan of Luke Kennard being shorter than his height; I never was a big fan of Malik Monk, after seeing him in action and DeAaron Fox stealing the show. I believe Monk is overrated also. Luke is a Piston now and has my full support. I'm just hoping sanity overtakes SVG and he plays this young man, and stop talking this sh!t about "earning time on the floor by playing defense." What, become a defensive stopper so he can play the offense we drafted him to provide?

Since you're a DraftExpress reader, what's your take on Monte Morris. Have you investigated him?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Now Wait a Damn Minute!

Post  BallinD Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm

How in the Hell is everybody from here to Timbuktu ragging on Kid Kennard as having TRex Arms, stubby, etc. when the revered Malik Monk has the exact same physical profile, except he is shorter and his arms are shorter.  Please riddle me that!

Malik Monk: KENTUCKY FRESHMAN AGE: 19.4 HEIGHT: 6'4" WINGSPAN: 6'3 ½" WEIGHT: 197 19.8 POINTS 2.5 REBOUNDS 2.3 ASSISTS 21.7 PER - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-live/ ©DraftExpress

Luke Kennard:  DUKE SOPHOMORE AGE: 21.0 HEIGHT: 6'6" WINGSPAN: 6'5 ¼" WEIGHT: 202 19.5 POINTS 5.1 REBOUNDS 2.5 ASSISTS 24.7 PER - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-live/ ©DraftExpress
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Monte Morris, Denver Nugget (#51 pick)

Post  deusXango Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Age: 22.0 Height: 6'3" Wingspan: 6'4" Weight: 175 16.4 Points 4.8 Rebounds 6.2 Assists 25.0 PER - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-live/ ©DraftExpress

If you don't know, judge for yourself.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Damn the "ifs" and the "odds!"

Post  deusXango Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:04 pm

"Henry Ellenson and Luke Kennard both have a long way to go before they crack the rotation. Not much is expected next year but that could change if the Pistons move some pieces around." Move Reggie Jackson for Ricky Rubio. Move Jon Leuer for the money and because we don't really need him...I mean, what's his value?

"If Ellenson can knock down the three ball he could steal minutes at power forward." Damn the three ball, why not allow Henry to start at PF alongside Harris, bringing Morris off the bench with Johnson and Kennard?

"If Kennard can hold his own on defense he could see meaningful minutes." This is the sh!t that's going to get SVG fired! Luke was drafted to fill an offensive need, not to be a defensive stopper. Now that I think about it, how many players do we have that justifies their PT by playing stellar defense?

"Both odds are solely in regards to the 2017-18 season. While we witnessed a taste of Ellenson late last year it was hardly enough to build a strong case for maneuvering into the rotation. Kennard will have a lot to prove on the defensive end before he sees the court. If nothing else, Summer League should be fun." It's a damn shame a lot of us can't get one of those high paying jobs just because we've got keyboards...I read a lot more common sense and thought provoking posts on this forum than I do coming from the local/national media.

On my recent trip through the Twilight Zone, I read a piece that suggested we resign Anthony Tolliver, simply because he was cut by an inferior team to the Pistons. IMHO Ersan Ilyasova was better than both Tolliver and his replacement Leuer. This type of reporting reminds me of a dog chasing his tail. This same article inspired a fan to suggest that the Pistons haven't been as good since we parted company with Brandon Jennings. I didn't know Jennings was a rabbits foot. How can we improve on the roster by constantly rummaging through the 2nd tier scrap heap, looking to find that undiscovered superstar?

On my vacation to Fantasy Island, I was the president of the Pistons and hired Isiah Thomas as GM, who hired Rick Mahorn to coach the team. Rick with nothing to loose (and being Rick Mahorn) began hammering Drummond into something that resembled fearsome; "Zeke" imposed an in house rule that fined, according to their contracts, any and all players for breaking the chain of command and running to the owner during the season about basketball related matters. Rick decided on a rotation of Drummond, Ellenson, Harris, KCP, and Rubio, who the GM had traded for, as starters. A bench of Johnson, Kennard, Morris, and Boban was found to be one of the top 2nd units in the NBA. The defense played was a hard fouling, we can fight about it if you can't take it, brand that no one was afraid of fouling out of games, and the offense was an exciting fast break, pass the ball around, everybody scores, type that the new downtown fans loved. The "Captain" had brought a level of respect to the GM's chair that made it possible to off-load Reggie Jackson and Jon Leuer, lowering our payroll by about $25 million. He traded for the draft rights of Monte Morris (a fast break ball wizard from Flint, who almost never turns the ball over and can score when needed) for the Pistons 3rd PG, and Rick hired Beno as our offensive/guard coach. In the 2017-18 season the Pistons made the playoffs by taking the 4th seed convincingly; we made it to the 2nd round before losing game 7. Like I said, I'm on Fantasy Island.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Stuff

Post  BallinD Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Holla at ya boy,  Russ for MVP, Draymond for DPOY, Greek Freek for MOIP.

I can't see how SJ is objectively anybody's SG, dude has no shot, no handles, but he does play D and can playmake some.  What is he?  A tweener, a SF at best?  Let him be our designated stopper until we find out if he will ever be a better shooter than Rodman.

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod at SG in the first few games when KCP serves out his suspension.  Gbinije, Hilliard, Kid Kennard, SJ?

Let's let Luke earn backup minutes at SG and SJ earn backup minutes at SF behind Tobias.  Pitting two of our most promising young ballers (we only have three promising young ballers) against each other is an exercise in futility.  We don't need shooting or defense, we need both.  That is called a false choice.  It is the thing SVG (Stupid Van Gundy) would love to do.  Almost seems like SVG is working for the enemy sometimes.

Last edited by BallinD on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oops)
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Thanks for listening Lemon

Post  deusXango Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:44 pm

lemonpen wrote:If Henry makes the rotation. "When" should go without saying!

Johnson, Morris, Harris, Leuer There, wasn't that easy?

Four men enter three men leave. Leuer is not a better team option than Harris and he's more expensive that Johnson and Morris.
I'm gonna beat this drum until there's no drum to beat.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty IMHO Lemon

Post  deusXango Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:35 pm

lemonpen wrote:Stanley J. and Luke K.
Easy, they're two different players, playing two different positions. Offense and defense coming off the bench, small ball or otherwise, they should develop to become a formidable pair, if SVG allows.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Lemme holla at cha' Lemon

Post  deusXango Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:28 pm

lemonpen wrote:3rd PG ????
I'd take another years look at Darrun Hilliard...we're giving less, more of an opportunity.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:17 pm

lemonpen wrote:Stanley J. and Luke K.

Johnson plays small forward over Morris. Morris has a favorable contract that can be used as a carrot to trade Jackson for Rubio. The Timberwolves are still shopping Ricky. Something has to give to allow Johnson to become an impact player moving forward. Morris is not part of the Pistons future. Kennard plays in the rotation this season not next season. If the team can play Johnson and Kennard together look forward to watching exciting high basketball IQ type of performances from them especially adding Rubio as the starting point guard. As you know he is a pass first heady player who also plays defense. If we get a combination of Jackson and Smith again, then of course both Johnson and Kennard will be ineffective players. Jackson and Smith both pick and chose who they are willing to throw the basketball to unless they are out of options. Let's see, first they look for Andre Drummond. Got to keep him happy. Then if he isn't open, more dribbling will be required to try to get their shot. Oh surprise there are only 5 seconds left in the shot clock better throw it to the open guy who is no longer unguarded. I just wish one of the Piston coaches would find another job on another team and then agree to be interviewed so that coach could spill the beans and expose SVG as the wimp coach he has become. SVG the man who refuses to see reality or discipline lazy ass players who have the large contracts. I am not speaking of Harris who gives an honest effort.

Although the trade I want won't happen because nobody wants Reggie Jackson now, if Rubio were added it sure would be fun again to watch the Pistons. Like I have said before, SVG has embraced AAU style basketball betting the farm on the two franchise players Drummond and Jackson who have a special bond that excludes all the other players. Where the Bad Boys called themselves something as close to a family as you can get, the current form of Pistons have two players who divorced themselves from the rest of the crew with the full blessing of the coaching staff. So it is Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson and Stan Van Gundy and his coaching crew who have perfect chemistry. The rest are orphans looking for some love and a home. The madness of last season will be upon us very quickly again so we must have some type of sense of humor. I thought that SVG was known for his insensitivity. Some say he was guilty of that trait in Orlando dealing with Dwight Howard who was another spoiled brat. Through medication incorporating a set of special chants, Stan has changed and become politically correct even commenting on politics to make sure he got out the popular take on election results. He did this while his highly paid players were sleep walking on the hardwood. He did get up the courage to say Andre Drummond needs to be a little more engaged. Boy that is some tough talk. Watching some old game clips from Larry Bird after the Lakers beat Boston in the finals the year when Isiah threw that bad pass at the end of game 5 of the Eastern conference finals with the game won and only 5 seconds left. Larry was being interviewed and with a lot of hate showing in his face said that we have to face it. We are just a bunch of losers. There still are players like that in the NBA. But can you imagine our dynamic twosome ever being on the same team of Bird, Magic Johnson or Isiah Thomas? No way they both would be given one way tickets out of town before training camp ended. Now our fans are so brainwashed they say stop being so critical. This guy or that guy is still so young we don't know what we really have yet. Whenever a coach or fan has to say that you know that you will never have crap regardless of how long you wait. Now you wait for a Piston players contract season and hope they play hard and are "engaged" for that one season. If you have to say a player is not engaged, all is lost. SVG is lost as well to say that out loud. If you believe a player is not engaged, you keep quiet and try like hell to move the contract. You don't wait for a super deal that will never come. It only gets worse.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty The Pistons are in purgatory and SVG's dependence on the pick and roll got them there

Post  cool breeze Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:10 pm

This lame knucklehead offense designed by SVG and Tim Hardaway that based the entire overhaul of the Piston team on two knucklehead players in Drummond and Jackson, will forever be a black mark on the franchise. Those two guys have hypnotized a once smart coach into a complete idiot. He will lose his job unless the owner is AWOL. How many times can any team run a pick and roll team in the NBA when you have a center with a limited skill set? The entire premise is so off base it is laughable. How many teams will allow Andre Drummond to dunk it anymore? Yet SVG is still cocky. He laughs at offers from other teams that have better offensive systems to hide Drummond's defects. This coach has failed to develop any other strategy or involve any other players by way of player movement, screening, ball movement etc. Not only has the coach/President placed all his marbles on Andre and Reggie he ignores the lack of engagement those two players are known for. Reggie will not agree to play defense. Andre will give what he wants to give his team. Good luck!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Odd Man Out (PF/SF)

Post  lemonpen Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:02 pm

If Henry makes the rotation.

Johnson, Morris, Harris, Leuer

Four men enter three men leave.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty How Do They Co-exist

Post  lemonpen Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Stanley J. and Luke K.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 27 Empty Hilliard

Post  lemonpen Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:56 pm

3rd PG ????
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am

BallinD wrote:I agree Oracle, those puppies are mean, that helps explain that fat grin on Kennard's face.

It will be important for Ellensen and Kennard to show out in summer league, and I really, really hope SVG brings some real NBA prospects to the party in Orlando. If Ellensen and Kennard force his hand, it will make it harder for him to BS everybody.

Even though I agree, Tolliver might eat some minutes, it makes it possible to move Leuer and I think that is a possible outcome, as he is a viable chip. We still need a rim protector and a point, hopefully a young, unsung stud, but I wouldn't be mad if Beno runs it back since it is foolish to believe SVG will abandon his win-now philosophy, being as close as he is to failure, desparation must be bursting through his bluster. He's not about to go on a development binge now, because it is clear he has earned that nickname "Master of Panic."

One thing that hasn't helped Stan Van Gundy to gain perspective and objectively evaluate his coaching decisions is the fact that he is surrounded by YES men. If not his assistant coaches are idiots. Piston coaching staff did not recognize who was screwing up or playing with the minimum amount of energy. There were no consequences for certain players other than a one sentence statement to the press such as "he needs to be more engaged". Early on with Jackson's return the coaching staff especially the assistant in charge of the guards, Tim Hardaway, should have had a meeting with SVG and insisted that the Reggie return has no chance of success. The Piston coaching staff seemed to be half in and half out last season. Lack of quick recognition skills the players have might have infected the coaching staff. I do not believe this team would have performed any worse if the owner had hired a fan to coach the team. I love the way Brad Stevens coaches. If Thomas or another key player screws up or just doesn't have it during games, he notices very quickly and places that player on the bench regardless of how much that player is making. Brad doesn't show any emotion when he does it. He doesn't create additional conflict between the coach and player. Van Gundy should have decided within two weeks that Jackson is hurting the team and released a story to the press that Reggie's injury has not improved so he will not play for the rest of the season. Smith and Beno then play out the rest of the games. We would have most likely been in the playoffs. The other course of action might have been to recognize that there was no way this team would win big after it was clear Reggie was not the same dynamic point guard and then played the young players to get them valuable experience and used the season for them to get better as well as move up in the draft board. Not reconizing the quality of the top 6 players while other teams who were actually better than Detroit did is inexcusable. Our Pistons got worse and worse with the coaching staff appearing to not notice at all. The big talk was who should start at power forward. Meanwhile, teams could over play Morris because they determined he cannot drive the basketball well. It became harder for him to hit contested 3 point shots. Teams also noticed the Pistons showed no player movement or ball movement with their offense. And of course in the first quarter of most games opponents could get layups at will because the starters couldn't or didn't care to get back to protect the paint quick enough. The coaching staff ignored those basic traits this team showed. Who could do worse? Maybe Dick Vitale could do even worse.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next