Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+7
Go Stones!
Oracle
cool breeze
lemonpen
WTF
merc
Phil-Good
11 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Don & DX

Post  Oracle Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Hey guys, good responses from both of you.

Don, I am VERY excited about this coming season. While there are issues and problems to deal with, my excitement centers around a few things.

1. Stanley Johnson possibly getting in the starting lineup and playing with another plus defender. I long dreamed about him and KCP together, but I'm really stoked  seeing him with Bradley. The reason this excites me is that having that level of defense makes it easier to win games and increases our ability to lock teams down in the 4th quarter.

2. Luke and Ellenson: While I want to get Ellenson going, I have to confess that my bigger interest is in Luke, mainly because his game looks like it will translate to the NBA really well. That's no guarantee, but if he doesn't get the chance to work things out in real NBA games, we don't get the benefit. I hope both he and Ellenson make it very hard for SVG to sit them.

3. DX, I haven't given up on Drummond at all, I still have high hopes for him. So I'm excited to see if he listens to SVG and becomes a defense focused player.

4. Reggie: I hope his knee issues are resolved, but even if they are, he still has stamina issues along with his ball hog issues. I believe that if the knee issue is resolved, he may be humbled enough to become a better PG.

Finally, if the stars align, we're a real force to be reckoned with. BTW, I agree with you that the players tuned SVG out in the 2nd half of the season, who could blame them, he blew the season for all of them. That is likely why KCP decided to not come back and walked.

DX, I don't think anybody is hoping or expecting KCP to return, he's in a much better place right now, all he has to do is perform.

He finally has,
1. A real center that can play down low and stretch it out to 3 point land in Lopez

2. A real PG, although a rookie, that only looks to run the team and get others involved in Ball

3. A stage to show off his talent unlike anything he'd ever see here. The Lakers are getting national coverage like CRAZY... he's NEVER coming back!

• ABC in blue
  • TNT in green
  • ESPN in orange

FORUM - Page 14 Image
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Interesting that we were talking about past chemistry issues and today there is an article "SVG Expects Pistons newcomers, led by Bradley t spark a competitive surge"

Post  cool breeze Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:31 pm

SVG talks about the timeout last season where Morris provided the facts of life to the slackers who showed up for that game. SVG says he took Morris and KCP aside telling them to be more vocal. I don't see KCP as a vocal type of person. He seemed very shy in his interviews. For those of you who hope that KCP returns next year, I suspect that thought will be forgotten once you see Bradley in action. He has leadership qualities and is a really well rounded player who gives maximum effort. And he is articulate. This is the leader that I have been waiting for. I only wish Piston management could work out an extension or secure Bradley's rights long term now because he is going to be fun to watch.

SVG says there is now a larger group of players on the roster who will demand in essence that players play the right way. One should wonder why anyone should have to prod players into doing that given how much money they all make.

Notice that SVG never mentions Reggie Jackson and Andre Drummond in that new group he counts on to change the culture 360 degrees from the culture last season when Andre Drummond was the team leader. Some of you say that I pick on the young AD too much. You want to give him a break. But how can you feel that way if you actually watched him play like a slacker for more than half of the season last year. How do you turn a orange into green beans? That is my question. I have never known a big man who was a horrible defender ever completely change their personality and become a really good shot blocker and rim protector. The stats AD gets mean next to nothing relating how he impacts winning and losing. He doesn't get the defensive stops or defensive rebounds when the game is on the line. There has been nothing written or zero quotes from the player himself saying that he plans to change how he plays the game. SVG says a lot and what he hopes Andre will give the team next season. But Drummond by all accounts is working strictly on his offensive game. That must be what he agent is telling him or that is just his nature to be a slacker on defense thinking that a he might get more individual attention if he scores more points. I am sick and tired about anyone saying that we have only one All Star and that guy is Andre Drummond. He was added to that All Star team and I do not believe he ever deserved to make the All Star team because he has always been a below average defender and if you are a big man you cannot be an All Star unless you can defend the paint. It is so silly for Piston management to try to sell tickets based on Andre Drummond making the All Star team two years ago.

While we all thought that Drummond would become a defensive force last season, he fooled us all by coming to training camp about 20 pounds over weight. Now he has lost that weight but I would like to see him lose another 15 pounds if he wants to become a real defender. I will not write AD off completely and would love it if he can change and become a basketball players that his teammates can respect. SVG should give him until the trade deadline to prove he really cares about his teammates and the success of the team. If not and his trade value declines even more, then I hope that SVG does the right thing and starts Eric Moreland and brings either Boban or AD off the bench. If some of you watched Moreland in the summer league, then you might agree that he is the better option right now for the team. He is really athletic and has quick recognitions skills on defense. He helps his teammates when they are over matched in the paint and he never slacks off running from baseline to baseline. I watched Moreland play in the PAC 12 as a college player and really liked him. I suspect that he will beat out Boban eventually and play with the 2nd unit. I just don't believe that AD can get the defensive rotation system down. He cannot make good decisions on the pick and roll plays. Last season I cannot forget how he screwed up the works on the P & R when he would switch from his man to the guard with the ball when guys like KCP had good position after making the effort to go over the high screen. Andre had no clue what he was doing and would up out and force the guard to roll with the opposing center. Then Andre would watch from the free throw line. I think he learned how to slack from Greg Monroe because he did the exact same thing. At no time did SVG identify that big mistake that resulted in easy layups by opposing centers. He never called out AD and acted as if nothing was wrong. This time around I hope Piston fans who attend games become more vocal if the coach doesn't do the right thing. When politics enters the realm of coaching, there will be dysfunction and team chemistry will cause a back up in the toilet.

We have players on the roster this season who want to win. If the coach doesn't interfere I suspect the players will determine who the slackers are and deal with them. Bradley has a long history of kicking ass and taking names. Others who give max effort will stand with him. The coach needs to help in different ways this year. He should not have to tell players to help motivate the team like he told KCP and Morris. If you have to do that in the NBA as a coach, you know for sure that you have a roster full of losers. Will the highest paid players, Reggie and Andre be the biggest problem this coming season? That to me is the biggest question mark this team has to deal with. We have a center who wants to be an offensive star and is not committed to playing defense or improving his defensive game. That guy makes the most money which is an insult to the other players. The other guy plays point guard and is a ball hog and as much of a slacker on defense as AD. Everyone gave him a pass last season because of his past offensive play. This year Reggie Jackson must prove that he can play defense with those long arms and quick feet on a par with Avery Bradley. Then we have Bradley, Jackson, Johnson playing the best perimeter defense in the NBA. Harris, Tolliver, Ellenson, Leuer need to play defense like demons. Who is the best fit for that kind of team at the center position. I say it is Eric Moreland. He goes from a guy hoping to make an NBA roster again to starter and loved by all Piston fans because he will play like Ben Wallace. AD is traded at the deadline because he tried the 10 foot baseline hook shot and was the last man back on defense in a repeat performance from last season. Or AD becomes a man and changes his personality and gives the team, coach and fans what they want most. Then he will be loved and respected as a true Piston player. I say the odds are about 25% that AD will change and that is based on the fact that AD hasn't uttered one word about his need to improve on the defensive end. What does the owner want from AD? Will he kiss his ass again on those late night phone calls? Fans should not blame the coach if AD continues to play like a slacker on defense this season. SVG has made things crystal clear what he has always wanted out of his big man. The fact that AD tuned out SVG should in no way make fans think the tune out was the coaches fault. AD has a long history of tuning out his coaches and doing his own thing. That is why his team lost in the NCAA tournament when he fouled out without even working up a sweat. He let that team down and moved on the the next victim which happened to be the Detroit Pistons. Piston fans need to demand more from him and stop giving him so many excuses. He has been in the league for a long time to get any more passes. AD and RJ are the weak links for this new Piston team not the consistent key vets anyone can count on. They need to show that they can provide the role this team needs from them. They cannot dictate the role that they want to play. The coach needs to make sure they are on the right page with the rest of the team this time around.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Oracle & Don

Post  deusXango Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:37 am

Oracle wrote:Don, there are HUGE question marks coming into this season, and those people that predict us to not do well, are 100% correct with their reasoning, but maybe not correct in the conclusion they draw. Here are some of the concerns.

1. Will Reggie make it back? If he does, most of the rest of the team doesn't matter that much, a healthy Reggie means a productive Drummond, and that spells playoffs. It's my belief that putting all our eggs in one basket is wrong; too much is being placed on the shoulders of a selfish PG with a chronic knee problem. Should've taken Rubio when we could.

2. Since Bradley can't offset both KCP & Morris, how do you even break even? Bradley is more steady than KCP, but KCP was much more explosive, I give Bradley the initial advantage, but it's a small one. Can the new additions make up for the loss of Morris? Nobody knows, we have a bunch of unproven guys that we hope will contribute, but we don't know. The one thing the proven guys demonstrated was they were tired of SVG's voice/decision making, no matter what they said publicly, it was their actions on the floor. For some reason last years edition of the Pistons didn't want to play for SVG and if things don't drastically change, he'll loose this years team also. Why do you think the pundits view of the Pistons is so low? SVG!

3. Will Drummond defend? Your guess is as good as mine. As you noticed, he's working on offense yet again, and the film I've seen doesn't impress me one single bit. If we can be so patient with SVG and Reggie, why not Drummond? They either succeed together or go down in flames together? What if Drummond is the only one that earns his pay? Questions, questions, questions.

4. Will Boban be effective? He has great advantages, but he also has great weaknesses. Will they draw him away from the basket then run rings around him? If so, can he score enough to offset that or do teams learn how to strip him easily? Why was he signed, but not played, and without Baynes on the roster, why're we still not planning to play him? (Leuer!)

5. Will SVG play Kennard & Ellenson? We're going to need them later in the season, so even if they don't play much, he has to play them regularly and sometimes at the end of games just to season them. Or will he play the vets at the PF & SG position. Coming off a 37-45 record and missing the playoffs, not playing Ellenson & Kennard makes a strong case for a coaching change before the All-Star break! Seasoning is a good word, but I'd have said something stupid like, developing young talent.

6. Will Stanley step up? 86 points is impressive no matter where you're playing, but that's not going to happen in the NBA. We need scoring from him but defense is more important out of the box. My biggest fear is that SVG leans on him too hard and blows his confidence again... we'll see. If SVG continues to treat Stanley like dog sh!t, we'll clearly see why the lack of team chemistry is here; minimizing Stanley, Tobias, Luke, and Henry is something that'll corrupt the fabric of team unity.

7. Chemistry: How log will it take the team to develop chemistry? A lot has to do with SVG sticking with a consistent lineup and rotation. The longer he experiments, the longer it will take. The longer it takes, the quicker Bradley will make up his mind to walk at seasons end...this'll make some fans happy, who hold out hope for KCP's return.

The bottom line is that for this to be a successful season, this team needs to win 50-54 games, anything less is clearly a bad outcome. Why that number? Well, if anybody believes that we're better from the upgrades, then 

1. That makes this team better than the team that won 44 games in a tough conference
2. As weak as the east will be, a better team should win at least 6-10 more games There is no truer words spoken! I've heard too many times about how weak the east is going to be, but not enough about how powerful the Pistons should be on their own. Thanks Oracle.

So yes, there are questions, but there are also opportunities. We'll see which way this one comes out.

cool breeze wrote:I agree there are some big question marks for Detroit this coming season but i do not agree that the loss of Pope and Morris should be the primary reasons. Last season's roster had big time chemistry issues because the team has too many slackers occupying the starting positions. The biggest slackers were AD and RJ although Reggie was injured so maybe calling him a slacker is a bit harsh. My big question mark for Piston progress is how will AD play? He hasn't said much about becoming a better defender.  SVG has made his request made for Andre to change is emphasis from offense to defense but Andre has been working on offense this summer again. I think AD will be forced into making that change because the cat is out of the bag so to speak. Fans know how much he slacked on defense and will be watching him closely.

The rest of the roster is stronger in my opinion. Perimeter defense will be much better if RJ commits to doing his job in that area. He has the tools to do it but hasn't had the desire much like AD in the past. Those two players need to show the world that they are actually serious basketball players this time around. If so everything will be super cool for the Detroit Pistons and they will make the playoffs. I am getting edgy for training camp.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Oracle wrote:Don, there are HUGE question marks coming into this season, and those people that predict us to not do well, are 100% correct with their reasoning, but maybe not correct in the conclusion they draw. Here are some of the concerns.

1. Will Reggie make it back? If he does, most of the rest of the team doesn't matter that much, a healthy Reggie means a productive Drummond, and that spells playoffs.

2. Since Bradley can't offset both KCP & Morris, how do you even break even? Bradley is more steady than KCP, but KCP was much more explosive, I give Bradley the initial advantage, but it's a small one. Can the new additions make up for the loss of Morris? Nobody knows, we have a bunch of unproven guys that we hope will contribute, but we don't know.

3. Will Drummond defend? Your guess is as good as mine. As you noticed, he's working on offense yet again, and the film I've seen doesn't impress me one single bit.

4. Will Boban be effective? He has great advantages, but he also has great weaknesses. Will they draw him away from the basket then run rings around him? If so, can he score enough to offset that or do teams learn how to strip him easily?

5. Will SVG play Kennard & Ellenson? We're going to need them later in the season, so even if they don't play much, he has to play them regularly and sometimes at the end of games just to season them. Or will he play the vets at the PF & SG position.

6. Will Stanley step up? 86 points is impressive no matter where you're playing, but that's not going to happen in the NBA. We need scoring from him but defense is more important out of the box. My biggest fear is that SVG leans on him too hard and blows his confidence again... we'll see.

7. Chemistry: How log will it take the team to develop chemistry? A lot has to do with SVG sticking with a consistent lineup and rotation. The longer he experiments, the longer it will take.

The bottom line is that for this to be a successful season, this team needs to win 50-54 games, anything less is clearly a bad outcome. Why that number? Well, if anybody believes that we're better from the upgrades, then 

1. That makes this team better than the team that won 44 games in a tough conference
2. As weak as the east will be, a better team should win at least 6-10 more games

So yes, there are questions, but there are also opportunities. We'll see which way this one comes out.

cool breeze wrote:I agree there are some big question marks for Detroit this coming season but i do not agree that the loss of Pope and Morris should be the primary reasons. Last season's roster had big time chemistry issues because the team has too many slackers occupying the starting positions. The biggest slackers were AD and RJ although Reggie was injured so maybe calling him a slacker is a bit harsh. My big question mark for Piston progress is how will AD play? He hasn't said much about becoming a better defender.  SVG has made his request made for Andre to change is emphasis from offense to defense but Andre has been working on offense this summer again. I think AD will be forced into making that change because the cat is out of the bag so to speak. Fans know how much he slacked on defense and will be watching him closely.

The rest of the roster is stronger in my opinion. Perimeter defense will be much better if RJ commits to doing his job in that area. He has the tools to do it but hasn't had the desire much like AD in the past. Those two players need to show the world that they are actually serious basketball players this time around. If so everything will be super cool for the Detroit Pistons and they will make the playoffs. I am getting edgy for training camp.

Very well said Oracle. Are you getting ramped up for the new season? I am but that has always been the case since I was a small kid. Piston basketball!

I am feeling thankful today that my Arizona Wildcat basketball team members, staff and supporting fans are safe after the terrorist attack close to their hotel. Last game has been cancelled but the team has to wait until Saturday to leave so i can only imagine what is going through those kids heads as they wait it our in their hotel.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Ya Think???

Post  Oracle Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Don, there are HUGE question marks coming into this season, and those people that predict us to not do well, are 100% correct with their reasoning, but maybe not correct in the conclusion they draw. Here are some of the concerns.

1. Will Reggie make it back? If he does, most of the rest of the team doesn't matter that much, a healthy Reggie means a productive Drummond, and that spells playoffs.

2. Since Bradley can't offset both KCP & Morris, how do you even break even? Bradley is more steady than KCP, but KCP was much more explosive, I give Bradley the initial advantage, but it's a small one. Can the new additions make up for the loss of Morris? Nobody knows, we have a bunch of unproven guys that we hope will contribute, but we don't know.

3. Will Drummond defend? Your guess is as good as mine. As you noticed, he's working on offense yet again, and the film I've seen doesn't impress me one single bit.

4. Will Boban be effective? He has great advantages, but he also has great weaknesses. Will they draw him away from the basket then run rings around him? If so, can he score enough to offset that or do teams learn how to strip him easily?

5. Will SVG play Kennard & Ellenson? We're going to need them later in the season, so even if they don't play much, he has to play them regularly and sometimes at the end of games just to season them. Or will he play the vets at the PF & SG position.

6. Will Stanley step up? 86 points is impressive no matter where you're playing, but that's not going to happen in the NBA. We need scoring from him but defense is more important out of the box. My biggest fear is that SVG leans on him too hard and blows his confidence again... we'll see.

7. Chemistry: How log will it take the team to develop chemistry? A lot has to do with SVG sticking with a consistent lineup and rotation. The longer he experiments, the longer it will take.

2. As weak as the east will be, a better team should win at least 6-10 more games

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Some good and maybe not so good statements from SVG in article "Kennard As Good As SVG Hoped".

Post  cool breeze Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 pm

This article shows the depth of knowledge SVG really has and how he projects success with young NBA players. As I was reading this piece my excitement grew thinking Kennard would be an important part of the Piston rotation this season. But right at the end, SVG makes the comment that there are players ahead of both Kennard and Ellenson but he has confidence that if needed both could really help the team. What can we make of that last comment? Is SVG trying to tell Piston fans that he will go right back to the same system that caused the team to flounder last year. He refused to give Ellenson a fair shot. He screwed with Stanley Johnson's mind all season long making him into a fringe player. Meanwhile, Brad Stevens did the opposite with his Boston roster. He played everybody so they were all ready to contribute when called upon. SVG cannot expect Kennard and Ellenson to step up to the plate and hit a home run or winning shot at the and of a game if the sit the damn bench and are not part of the rotation. Nobody can do that. You are not in game shape. You lose your confidence. You want to be traded so you can work with a coach who will trust you enough to play you so you can make mistakes and learn from them. If SVG plays his vet fringe players big minutes and excludes his young guns, he is making a huge mistake. Remember earlier in the summer when SVG said that he planned to carve out minutes for the younger inexperienced players? Is this new interview a message he has sent that there is no way he will be playing Ellenson and Kennard next season. They are promising, have shown a lot of ability but are just not ready or as good as the other veteran roster players who have been on the fringe for their entire careers. Good luck with that. Ellenson needs to play over Leuer. Kennard needs to play over all the other bench players SVG has signed who have always been bench players playing the wing positions. Both Ellenson and Kennard were key players on their college teams. Were the fringe vet bench guys ever key players on their college team? Other NBA teams seem to have some interest in both Ellenson and Kennard. Will SVG trade them quickly to remove what he might consider a problem he might have with the fans? I do not trust the head coach or the entire coaching staff to do the right thing after Detroit's experience last season where the coaching staff made the team chemistry issue worse rather than better. How can we forget that Stan? You made no adjustments. You played the players who caused the dysfunction game after game without blinking an eye and your assistant coaches were your Yes Men puppets. Why not hire coaches who will disagree with your logic so you can get some balance and possibly make better decisions?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty ESPN says Pistons will miss the playoffs - Bad memories from last season for Piston fans were observed by others

Post  cool breeze Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:43 pm

I agree there are some big question marks for Detroit this coming season but i do not agree that the loss of Pope and Morris should be the primary reasons. Last season's roster had big time chemistry issues because the team has too many slackers occupying the starting positions. The biggest slackers were AD and RJ although Reggie was injured so maybe calling him a slacker is a bit harsh. My big question mark for Piston progress is how will AD play? He hasn't said much about becoming a better defender. SVG has made his request made for Andre to change is emphasis from offense to defense but Andre has been working on offense this summer again. I think AD will be forced into making that change because the cat is out of the bag so to speak. Fans know how much he slacked on defense and will be watching him closely.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Kyrie n Weggie

Post  BallinD Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:03 pm

If Weggie can come alllllllllllll... the way back, he could be a Kyrie-lite player for us, with his ability to get to the rack and his improved 3pt shooting and his me-first attitude. Me myself, I am not a Weggie fan at all, but in the interest of objectivity he could be pretty good if all the stars line up and if he dedicates himself to getting shots for somebody other than Weggie and Dre.

Perhaps if he played with an Alpha Dog like Lebron, his ball hog, pass-to-myself mentality would be no longer a problem, but since we have no Alpha Dog, and Reggie thinks he is our Alpha Dog, that is part of the problem.

No to Kyrie though. It's too early to say what we will be like and what Avery will do for our chemistry and perimeter defense, but I will say it is intriguing, so there is that. Not sold on SVG's newfound stated flexibility with lineups, rotations, calling plays... either, so there is that.

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Kyrie and Andre

Post  Sparma Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 am

I'll second the no Kyrie sentiment, WTF. No D, no making teammates better, no winning without LeBron. No thanks.

He's a super offensive weapon on the right team, i.e., Cleveland with LeBron. Let him try to carry them the year after next without LeBron if he wants to be the man.

Besides, until some others, I see Drummond making a significant step forward this year, albeit not to superstar status. I think we can expect a bit for defensive intensity, a bit more focus on team results.

btw, I read a NYTimes piece that reveals the secret to improving FT shooting by 9% overnight. The secret? Get ten hours of sleep. Scientifically tested. I wonder if SVG would give me a consulting fee?

WTF wrote:This team isn't setup for a player like Kyrie,  the other issue do we really want this kind of player?  As far as the PG position for this team goes please present with another Isiah Thomas or another Chauncey Billups.   These are the kind of leaders and the type of leaders we need.  We need Kyrie like we need Reggie Jackson in others word we don't need either.  

Now before I get beat up on this if we had the type of players that could or would compliment Kyrie's talents then by all means we don't.  Lets not get it twisted Kyrie only has a ring because of Lebron and no other reason.  The Cavs at best with Kyrie before James return would not have even made the ECF yet alone win a NBA Title.

Also these comments aren't to speak badly about Kyrie more so than to say our current group don't measure up enough to be team mates with a player like Kyrie.  If Drummond was balling like a Mutumbo or an Alonzo,  if Harris was shooting like a Glen Rice or Horrey  and our SG was a young Joe Dumars.   If this team made in the fashion of the 76'er team that AI carried to the Finals then yeah Kyrie would work.  

Even more so if SVG was a competent enough coach to handle a player like Kyrie, but he struggle with Howard, and can't gather enough growth out of the fringe players we currently have so again a big fat NO to ponying up and trade for Kyrie.  We want a team not a one man show.  
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty No Kyrie

Post  WTF Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 pm

This team isn't setup for a player like Kyrie, the other issue do we really want this kind of player? As far as the PG position for this team goes please present with another Isiah Thomas or another Chauncey Billups. These are the kind of leaders and the type of leaders we need. We need Kyrie like we need Reggie Jackson in others word we don't need either.

Now before I get beat up on this if we had the type of players that could or would compliment Kyrie's talents then by all means we don't. Lets not get it twisted Kyrie only has a ring because of Lebron and no other reason. The Cavs at best with Kyrie before James return would not have even made the ECF yet alone win a NBA Title.

Also these comments aren't to speak badly about Kyrie more so than to say our current group don't measure up enough to be team mates with a player like Kyrie. If Drummond was balling like a Mutumbo or an Alonzo, if Harris was shooting like a Glen Rice or Horrey and our SG was a young Joe Dumars. If this team made in the fashion of the 76'er team that AI carried to the Finals then yeah Kyrie would work.

Even more so if SVG was a competent enough coach to handle a player like Kyrie, but he struggle with Howard, and can't gather enough growth out of the fringe players we currently have so again a big fat NO to ponying up and trade for Kyrie. We want a team not a one man show.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty "Should Detroit Pistons Pony Up for Kyrie Irving?" Surprising that there are no Piston fans with an opinion on this question

Post  cool breeze Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm

It appears that Piston fans are thinking more about the Lions these days but a huge decision awaits as Cleveland tries to move their star guard Irving. This article suggests that Kennard has been added to the list of players Cleveland is asking for to make a deal with the Pistons work. Maybe the writer is guessing or perhaps he had some inside information.

Cleveland management is asking for too much. It would be great to have Irving. Detroit would have the best back court in the Eastern Conference which is something the team hasn't had since they were contenders for the championship with Billups and Hamilton. Before that the Pistons built a team around Zeke and Dumars. Since those championship teams ran on the hardwood at the Palace, Piston management went in another direction that didn't work. It was surprising for me to watch Dumars after he broke up a great team by trading Billups. We have had years of losing and dysfunctional basketball because we just didn't have any top tier guard. Detroit drafted centers and tried to form a contending team with the center position being the position to build a team around. The Pistons never drafted high enough and seldom does a team win much in the NBA without having the best guards. Now Detroit has a chance to make that happen and Dumars forgot that no team gets far without the top tier guards in the NBA. Irving and Bradley combination could be deadly. However, in this era of basketball, too many stars have zero loyalty to a team. Players want to live where they train it seems which is on the West coast. The other destination that seems appealing in Florida. Perhaps Florida is not only a good destination because of the weather and night life but also the fact that there is no State income tax. The Texas NBA teams also can sell players as a destination because they also do not have a state income tax. And how many current Piston players live and train in California in the summer months? Notice the article on Stanley Johnson about a month ago where he decided to return to Northern California to train at a place where he had success in the past in becoming a better player in the off season. Jackson also is coming and going there along with many sports stars in other sports.

My gut tells me that Bradley is a great fit for the Pistons. He could be a special player that fans will remember after he retires. He is outstanding on defense and is at a higher level offensively than any guard Detroit has had in a long time. Bradley is a basketball player not a specialist. Management will do anything to keep him and Bradley might realize that Detroit is the right place for him. However, Irving is a different story. He has never expressed interest in the Pistons. He wants his own team. I would like to know what he means by that statement. Labron is a basketball player like Bradley meaning he excels at all facets of basketball even doing the screening for others and has defended at every position in playoff situations exceptionally well. Irving is an offensive specialist. He is not a good defender. Can Irving become a great two way player so he can truly be a guy who is the franchise player? He is smart and has fantastic desire to win and has been clutch for Cleveland many times.

I do not want to pass judgement on Irving but it appears that Cleveland management is exaggerating Irving's value. I believe that a fair trade between the Pistons and Cavaliers would be Irving-Thompson for Drummond-Jackson. No way should Detroit bite on a deal including both Piston players mentioned as well as draft picks unless it is a 2nd round pick and Johnson-Kennard. That would be 4 good young players who might become star players for one great offensive player and a big man who has a limited upside but has playoff experience, can rebound, play average defense, would play well in crunch time and can shoot free throws better than AD. I would for sure want Detroit to make a deal if we get Irving-Thompson for Jackson-Drummond and Cleveland should accept that deal unless they can get Phoenix to throw in the Kansas star they drafted this summer. The Suns already said no to that deal. Detroit should also nix any trade offer that includes Johnson, Kennard and first round draft picks. For the Pistons adding Thompson in the front court could be the player they need to form that strong defense that SVG has been talking about. I doubt it will ever happen with AD and Jackson unless both players change their mindset. And can Drummond play in crunch time this year? Can he get his free throw percentage up to 50%???? As the days tick off Cleveland will be getting in a weaker position if they can't find a trade partner and receive a windfall for a player who no longer wants to play with Labron. If Cleveland made that trade Jackson and Drummond could be successful with their pick and roll combination with Labron taking up all the attention by opposing defenses. They could have a dynamic team for one more season and then have the young Drummond and Jackson to build a team around. Meanwhile the Pistons would be one tough out for any Eastern conference team with Irving, Bradley, Thompson, Johnson, Harris, Kennard, Boban, and the rest of the current roster players. Johnson sets great screens. Thompson sets great screens. Irving and Bradley can score in many ways and both use screens well. We fans see an entirely different style of basketball. The Pistons would win big.

This summer has been much more exciting for Piston fans than the regular season was by far. Piston management has already made the roster much stronger. The idea that Detroit could have the best backcourt at least in the Eastern conference is very appealing to me. Yet if Reggie Jackson shares the basketball more and has his mojo at the end of games and using those long arms and quick feet on the defensive end to stop dribble penetration, the Pistons could be one of the best teams in the East without doing anything. Of course AD would have to make a huge change in his basketball personality and become a feared defender and rim protector. This is Avery Bradley's team now and he will have to get Jackson and Drummond to play the right way. And I think he will be a successful leader we have been waiting for for a long time.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty TOLERANCE

Post  WTF Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:08 pm

You see this that bullshit I touched on in my previous post and I keep saying as long as we keep painting all these little pictures of division every time we don't agree, accept, or tolerate, **** like Charlottville happens, every time we place economic benefits over moral principle this is what happens.

I love my country but it is far from being perfect, problem this seems to be an acceptable reason correct our failures. I don't believe this country is this hateful but I do believe it is morally misinformed, distracted and detached from compassion that it can't or won't do what is right.

When is enough is enough? When does the well being of humanity out weighs everything else. We should always be looking for a win win situation.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Boban article makes me question the basic common sense of Stan Van Gundy - Also it appears that Leuer will be counted on again

Post  cool breeze Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:57 pm

One of my biggest complaints about SVG is his lack of recognition skills himself relating to making player changes quickly and waiting until the game is out of hand. We saw it last season with the starters where other teams would run up big leads in the first and 3rd quarters and SVG would not tamper with the starting lineup regardless of what was going on. There is no excuse for not reacting and using common sense to plug holes when opposing teams score at will. But it appears according to the article to the right that SVG will not make any knee jerk reactions if opposing teams score at will against Boban. He will be patient and even play Boban against small lineups. The NBA has extremely quick players. That is what usually separates the college guys from the pros. So the strategy will be for opposing teams to beat Boban in transition on missed Piston opportunities. Last season that is how opposing teams exploited Detroit when they beat Drummond in transition for easy layups in the paint. So what is new with this new strategy by SVG with Boban. It didn't work last season to ignore what was happening on the floor because it didn't fit well with the SVG game plan. It won't work this year either. That article was one of the dumbest stuff that I have ever read. What happens to team chemistry if the coach ignores what is going on in the actual game? Oh I forgot, SVG says he will create some special type of defense to protect the team from Boban's inability to defend. I am not so worried about Boban. I am more worried by this strategy being used again relating to AD. Now I know why it appeared that SVG had no idea what he was doing when he ignored game situations where his chosen players did not give the effort required to play the right way. How will the other players on the team who do make the effort required on defense like this strategy SVG plans to implement? The players who do bust their asses on defense don't like it when one of their teammates give up layups in the painted area because they were late getting back or out of position. It is not fun to play on a team like that. One would think that SVG never played a game of organized basketball if he would actually give that information to a reporter. It wouldn't sound that bad if some of us didn't have a memory of the coach and his lack of making players accountable last season. It is all part of the strategy for SVG as he maps up his game plan before the game and never adjusts the plan over the course of the actual game. This is not a perfect world SVG. You have to make adjustments quickly even if you have to disrupt your original strategy. So will SVG stand up when opposing teams drive into the unguarded painted area and get easy layups and build up a 18 point lead within 5 minutes of the opening tip again. Will he flop his arms and turn his back to the action on the court and yell at the players sitting on the bench again? I agree that Boban is very effective on offense in the painted area. It is good that he will get his chance to play more minutes. I hope he can hold his own on defense as well. But I believe that the coach needs to give the opportunity to the best players on any given night. If Moreland is more athletic and can defend well on certain nights with quicker opposing big men then he would be on the court, not Boban if Boban is giving up too many easy baskets. Who will play in crunch time for the Pistons at the center position? Andre is not a good defender especially in crunch time. He also cannot make free throws. Who will play the necessary hard nosed defense for the Pistons in crunch time? Baynes did it last season with average success. How will the team win if the center position is the weak link for the Piston defense in crunch time? Why didn't the reporter ask that question to our head coach?

Basketball is simple but some so called experts forget common sense and by committing to a strategy and sticking with it when it is not working is a cop out. The coaches who do this are lazy. The coaches who do not make adjustments quickly are not winning coaches. Brad Stevens is engaged in every game and notices everything and makes quick adjustments. I can't believe he would ever make the statements that SVG has recently made.

The other comment in this article was disturbing as well relating to how SVG plans to make it all work with Boban on the floor. Yes you guessed it, SVG signed two players in Boban and Leuer who were not in high demand and he decided to give them big bucks. So regardless of how things work out those two have to play in the games. SVG will have his blinders on again and ignore defects in players he has signed. He can't be wrong and he will prove it. Sorry Henry E. It looks like you will have another long season without any NBA game experience. I wonder if SVG knows how weak Leuer is as a defender of the paint. Did he not watch Leuer play that last game against Orlando? Is is counting on Piston fans to have a short memory? I wish Leuer all the luck in the world but to come into training camp counting on Leuer having a season like the first half of the season last year is weird. Leuer shot the ball better in the first half of the year for sure but he didn't defend any better in the first half did he? He was pushed around a lot in the paint. How can SVG forget that fact? Maybe I am not up to date though and perhaps Leuer will come back this season much stronger. Ellenson is not a good defender as well but he is bigger. Will the SVG rotation system be exactly the same next season after all his talk about making sure his young players get more experience?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty NBA2K18 ratings what do they mean? Who are the players who create these bogus ratings?

Post  cool breeze Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:25 pm

What does an 85% rating mean to basketball fans who actually have watched a lot of NBA games? Ratings, polls, media analysis of anything scares me because a lot of people don't take the time to learn anything and base all of their opinions on this nonsense. Americans are manipulated enough and now we have NBA2K18 ratings. So AD must have had a pretty good season last year according this this latest rating system. The tip in by Whiteside directly over AD never happened. All those layups in the first and third quarters of all those blowouts couldn't have involved AD the All Star. Oh I forgot AD is a great rebounder so he couldn't get any lower than 85%. Ben Wallace was a real rebounder because he got the key rebounds. Rodman was a great rebounder because he got the key rebounds that meant something. What if Baynes got Drummond's minutes last season? What would his rebound total be? Baynes did a lot more than just stand in the paint. He boxed out and anticipated on defense. Drummond's defensive rating in reality would be in the range of 25%. His free throw shooting would be 1%. But the experts gave high marks to almost everyone who contracts with the approved agents by NBA2K18.

With all the recent positive hype on Andre Drummond lately, and SVG's comments where he is finally going to hold AD accountable and fully expects that AD will be fully engaged and provide the team what it needs on defense, I wonder how AD is handling this new pressure as training camp approaches. He has lost 20 pounds, had the nose surgery, is active playing basketball and admits he had a bad season so there should be no question that he should be motivated. But is he feeling a lot of pressure now wondering he is can grasp the defensive rotations this time around and possess quicker recognition skills on defense? Can AD suddenly become a great shot blocker in key situations or a shot blocker at all next season? Baynes is gone. Who knows how Boban and Moreland will pan out. Will Ellenson become our starting center if AD has a nervous breakdown? Seriously, you can't become a solid defender overnight. Drummond has never taken playing defense seriously. It is easy to talk like SVG is talking but if you are the player with glaring defects, it isn't easy to rid yourself of those defects after many years of slacking. Good luck AD. I will be pulling for you.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Thanks DX

Post  WTF Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks DX for the compliment on my post. It's just hard to wrap my mind around the thinking of these owners pandering to Fans Opinions on this whole issue. I assure you as a fan attending a game I don't always stand for the National Anthem it not out of protest most of time 'm just fu@king tired and don't feel like it.

Colin isn't protesting all of White America, he isn't accusing every Policeman of murdering unarmed Black men but how this is being treated one would think he is. Truth is he's protesting America as a whole and the challenge to correct things goes to all races, cultures and religions. It goes to lawmakers, media outlets, politicians, churches and any with a platform to speak on the ills of this world period.

DX a lot of folks live in a bubble so don't feel to bad about it. It's easy to be indifferent about a lot of stuff until it effects you personally or someone close to you. Sadly the world is setup to function in this matter all in the name of making a profit. The NBA wanted to turn a blind eye to the Clippers owners thing a few seasons back and if the could they would have done nothing but in fear of fan protest they were force to take action.

Players, and fans everywhere should be in support of Colin period Black, White, Brown, Green or Blue
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty WTF BallinD!!!

Post  deusXango Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 pm

BallinD wrote:
WTF wrote:There really should be a Mass Boycott of the NFL this season.  As big of a Lions Die Hard I am it going to be tough but I don't veiw the Fords like  do other owners maybe because I'm bias being a Lions Fan.  This Colin Kap thing is very eye opening of where we are on so many levels and horribly sad.  

NFL owners ought to be ashame of how this is playing out and should be extremely cautious of how this thing could turn real ugly real soon.  As should society on race issues as a whole should be extremely careful and I don't mean just Blacks folks and White folks I mean any folk that oppresses another race, culture, religion or whatever.  

They say its all about the money well greed is a sin, because its an evil that leads to other sins and various action of immoralities that plagues this entire world.   Evil is winning in this world and many are to caught up in self to see or notice that we are headed down a road of destruction a path in which no one wins and everyone loose.  

I'm not hear to debate race, religion or sexuality for that matter but liars, deniers, and pretenders comes in all shapes and colors but lets not act like racism isn't real.  Owners what are you going to do when all your Black Athletes turn into Colin?

I don't think the ownes are racist, I just think they're greedy and fear that signing Kap would hurt them financially which I doubt very seriously it would.  But public opinion got them all fucked up that they can't find to do what's morally right.  They are cowards

WTF, this is a great post and I have been angered at the treatment of Kaepernick, while so many Americans parrot the term freedom of speech...well it appears you are free to speak if you don't mind the consequences.  Potential brutality from the police, twisting your words from the Media, and ostracism and dismissal if you challenge the status quo (Colin Kaepernick).

For the NFL juggernaut there are three main issues, Kaepernick, Concussions, and Opiod addiction and refusal to acknowledge Medical Marijuana.

My ex wife is a nurse, has cancer and the doctors at the pain clinic test her for MM, while prescribing Percocet, Fentanyl, Morphine, Oxycotin, Flexeril, (a total of 22 pills daily) and so it goes down the road of opioid addiction.  I have seen her trembling from pain, spasmodic shaking and falling to the ground, crying, and having to drink copious amounts of wine just to be able to function when her prescription runs out before the end of the month.  

Often when she is having an "episode," the only thing that will help her pain is a "toke or two," and her pain and cancer doctors acknowledge to her it works, but say their hands are tied.  She will lose her nursing license if she tests positive, and is regularly whipsawed between pain, opioids and the fear to get the relief she needs.

I am and have been so mad about these issues and sad to see Deandre Levy leave the Lions and the league after speaking out on these issues (I know his injuries were responsible for his retirement), but sheesh!!!!
Damn Wise, you opened up the door for one of the most compassionate, and challenging subjects I've had the pleasure to read; pleasurable because it does my spirit good to realize I've been touched by the presence of some exceptional human beings. You really stunned me with this thought provoking post.

Speaking of exceptional human beings, you BallinD have gone to the top of my list. First let me say, "may God Bless, comfort, and meet the needs of your beautiful wife and continue to pour into you the strength to be the superior man who stands with her, and speaks to the weakened conscience of our society today." I'm both awed and touched by the broad minded weaving of your personal pain with the awful practices that stare us all in the face from day-to-day to the point of creating spiritual numbness; I've had to look at where I live, not so much as how I live...I live in a bubble of intolerance and indifference for the most part, and for that I'm ashamed of not demonstrating a greater level of gratitude. I've got to be more of an example and voice for what's right! Plain and simple. Talk about strength, character, and all true man, you got it Bro'.

God Bless you guys.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm

WTF wrote:
BallinD wrote:
WTF wrote:There really should be a Mass Boycott of the NFL this season.  As big of a Lions Die Hard I am it going to be tough but I don't veiw the Fords like  do other owners maybe because I'm bias being a Lions Fan.  This Colin Kap thing is very eye opening of where we are on so many levels and horribly sad.  

NFL owners ought to be ashame of how this is playing out and should be extremely cautious of how this thing could turn real ugly real soon.  As should society on race issues as a whole should be extremely careful and I don't mean just Blacks folks and White folks I mean any folk that oppresses another race, culture, religion or whatever.  

They say its all about the money well greed is a sin, because its an evil that leads to other sins and various action of immoralities that plagues this entire world.   Evil is winning in this world and many are to caught up in self to see or notice that we are headed down a road of destruction a path in which no one wins and everyone loose.  

I'm not hear to debate race, religion or sexuality for that matter but liars, deniers, and pretenders comes in all shapes and colors but lets not act like racism isn't real.  Owners what are you going to do when all your Black Athletes turn into Colin?

I don't think the ownes are racist, I just think they're greedy and fear that signing Kap would hurt them financially which I doubt very seriously it would.  But public opinion got them all fucked up that they can't find to do what's morally right.  They are cowards

WTF, this is a great post and I have been angered at the treatment of Kaepernick, while so many Americans parrot the term freedom of speech...well it appears you are free to speak if you don't mind the consequences.  Potential brutality from the police, twisting your words from the Media, and ostracism and dismissal if you challenge the status quo (Colin Kaepernick).

For the NFL juggernaut there are three main issues, Kaepernick, Concussions, and Opiod addiction and refusal to acknowledge Medical Marijuana.

My ex wife is a nurse, has cancer and the doctors at the pain clinic test her for MM, while prescribing Percocet, Fentanyl, Morphine, Oxycotin, Flexeril, (a total of 22 pills daily) and so it goes down the road of opioid addiction.  I have seen her trembling from pain, spasmodic shaking and falling to the ground, crying, and having to drink copious amounts of wine just to be able to function when her prescription runs out before the end of the month.  

Often when she is having an "episode," the only thing that will help her pain is a "toke or two," and her pain and cancer doctors acknowledge to her it works, but say their hands are tied.  She will lose her nursing license if she tests positive, and is regularly whipsawed between pain, opioids and the fear to get the relief she needs.

I am and have been so mad about these issues and sad to see Deandre Levy leave the Lions and the league after speaking out on these issues (I know his injuries were responsible for his retirement), but sheesh!!!!

First and foremost I'm extremely to sadden to hear about your wife and my prayers are fully with you and your family.  The level of hypocricies and the name of greed in this country is ridiculus.   The reason why they don't stand behind Medical Marijuana is there's more money to be made in cramming bullshit pills down our throats.   The The Big Evil in this is the do this knowingly it's killing us we we become more depended on it.  The other reason law makes can continue to line their pockets if it remains illegal  

The Deandre Levy issues is sad and its about the money as well (profit over doing the right thing) The Lions couldn't cut him while injured without compensating him so they declared him healthy in a bogus physical.   This loss of Ethics spreads across corporate
America and society as a whole is beyond any reasonable explanation but it's become the norm.  

BallinD things get ugly at times and this is one of those situations we all face. Standing tall beside your ex wife shows true character. I consider any nurse a true hero. My wife is a nurse and I cannot believe how she copes with those 10 hour shifts the way hospitals are run these days. Keep on fighting for her and if things don't appear to make sense then make your voice heard if her medications are not working or she doesn't have the proper supply.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Whatever Happen To Doing The Right Thing

Post  WTF Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm

BallinD wrote:

First and foremost I'm extremely to sadden to hear about your wife and my prayers are fully with you and your family.  The level of hypocricies and the name of greed in this country is ridiculus.   The reason why they don't stand behind Medical Marijuana is there's more money to be made in cramming bullshit pills down our throats.   The The Big Evil in this is the do this knowingly it's killing us we we become more depended on it.  The other reason law makes can continue to line their pockets if it remains illegal  

The Deandre Levy issues is sad and its about the money as well (profit over doing the right thing) The Lions couldn't cut him while injured without compensating him so they declared him healthy in a bogus physical.   This loss of Ethics spreads across corporate
America and society as a whole is beyond any reasonable explanation but it's become the norm.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty NFL Three

Post  BallinD Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:09 pm

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty NFL

Post  WTF Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 pm

There really should be a Mass Boycott of the NFL this season.  As big of a Lions Die Hard I am it going to be tough but I don't veiw the Fords like  do other owners maybe because I'm bias being a Lions Fan.  This Colin Kap thing is very eye opening of where we are on so many levels and horribly sad.  

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Article premature relating to Avery Bradley leaving after one season - who will start at power forward?

Post  cool breeze Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Avery Bradley will give the Pistons a real spark this season. If the team chemistry is good meaning that his teammates play with passion with no slacking and AD, SJ, TH play top tier type defense with bench players stepping up too, why would Bradley leave Detroit if he is offered a really good contract? The Lakers will have their hands full signing the superstars they are targeting. Who wants to play for the Clippers as they move downward in the standings? If Piston fans bond with Bradley and show how great it can be to play for the Pistons and everything else falls in line don't count Bradley out as a long term star player for the Detroit Pistons.

Now for who will start at power forward. It is anticipated that Harris will be the starter and most likely that is how it will be when the regular season begins. Out of the other prospects, I am wondering if Tolliver will somehow beat out both Leuer and Ellenson. Ellenson did not show that he is a solid defender from his summer league play at least in my opinion. But he might be a better choice than Leuer if both players are treated equally by the head coach. Unless Leuer has somehow spent hundreds of hours in the weight room to improve his upper body strength over the summer, he will still be a liability on the defensive end. Ellenson is bigger and is a better outside shooter so he should win that battle unless SVG wants to showcase Leuer and trade him before the trade deadline. Meanwhile, the old vet Tolliver is primed to steal playing time from both Leuer and Ellenson. I believe SVG made a brilliant move signing him. If nothing else, Tolliver provides insurance that he will have a solid trustworthy hard nosed player available for every game. We have all seen Tolliver get hot from the 3 point line. He knows the defensive rotations and executes without hesitation in those rotations. All last season I read tweets from Tolliver while he was playing on another team far away from Detroit. Tolliver will not allow the team chemistry to get as low as it was last season regardless of the amount of minutes he logs. I am starting to feel that this year their might be something special in store for all Piston fans. The quantity of forum contributors might explode again as everyone jumps on the bandwagon. A lot hinges on how much effort AD is willing to give on defense. But I am loving what SVG has been saying lately.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Looking for greener pastures makes Labron look like a trader in the eyes of Cleveland fans

Post  cool breeze Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 pm

As we all know, Ohio is Labron's home state. His team loses in the finals and instead of keeping his plans private, he let Cleveland fans know that it was never about them. It was always about Labron James and his legacy. The cool thing is that Zeke was always loyal to his team and his Michigan fans. Remember when Grant Hill split for Orlando? Grant ended up playing for several teams. Do any of the fans on any of those NBA teams have any feelings for him? I think not. He has to turn to Duke to find any true blue fans who love him for what he brought to his college team. We Piston fans don't care. He was a traitor. Detroit wan't good enough for him. Cleveland isn't good enough for Labron. Would James like to bolt this coming season to a West coast team if he could? Regardless of what is in his heart, Labron would have been better served if he had kept quiet and at least let people believe that he had no interest in moving on. When Labron let everyone know his future plans that didn't include Cleveland suddenly Love, Irving, Thompson etc all believe that James thinks they do not measure up to his greatness. What will the team chemistry be like next season for the Eastern Conference champions? At some point in time all the free agency hype with mega stars getting a lot of attention and moving on to what they think will be a sure thing to make the finals again, will backfire. Will Cleveland fans give Labron a hard time next season? I would think they would so Labron might not have a fun season this time around. Who knows?

Irving wants his own team. No modesty for that man. Maybe is could be a good leader. If he came to the Pistons would he want to stay long term to build a championship caliber team? I always pull for the team that plays against whatever team Labron is playing for at the time. Cleveland, Miami or the Lakers, it makes no difference to me. The refs give Labron all the breaks. He seldom is called for a foul and and can bulldoze right through the opposition lowering that huge shoulder and not only score after knocking down his defender but also get to the foul line. So who doesn't pull for Labron James to lose if he is not on your local team?

I am happy Labron doesn't want to come to the Detroit Pistons for a year. I like him as a villain. Bradley and Irving could be one of the best backcourts in the NBA. We haven't had that type of thing for a long time. Guards are the key to winning in the NBA not centers. We get Thompson who can defend, block shots and set great screens. Other free agents might want to join the Pistons with that kind of back court too. How much would the Pistons be willing to part with? Jackson and Drummond would be tempting for sure. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Cleveland would be getting a young promising center that could be an All Star player again. But to add Johnson or even a 1st round pick might not be something the Pistons should go for. Cleveland has the pressure on them not other teams like the Suns or the Pistons. If Cleveland reduces their demands and Detroit can make a good deal, next season could be really fun. Irving, Bradley, and Thompson have playoff experience. If Johnson is included in the trade, Harris starts at small forward. Who will play power forward? It seems the Pistons will be 2 to 3 players short again unless Ellenson, Leuer, Kennard, Boban, Moreland, Smith, and Bullock have outstanding seasons. Doing that deal does ensure that we have three solid starters and fewer question marks with Jackson and Drummond. However, it would be a stretch to believe that Cleveland would accept both contracts relating to AD and RJ.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Good comments coming from Stan Van Gundy on focusing on strengths is the way Andre can improve

Post  cool breeze Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:42 pm

AD seems to have made a commitment to changing from a slacker type player he was last season after the Christmas holidays. SVG made some spot on comments on how Andre can both help himself and his team by concentrating on becoming a top tier defender and getting his touches on offense in the painted area. SVG also pointed out that AD has made more of a commitment to getting in better physical conditioning and as a result has lost around 20 pounds.

When will AD make a public statement that he will dedicate himself to becoming a solid top tier rim protector and shot blocker? SVG has said his piece about what he wants from our starting center. Will AD listen and get focused on the defensive end? If so our Piston team could be a tough out for any team in the league. From past experience, the telling thing about how committed AD really is to his team will be how he plays from December through April this time around on the defensive end. Will he get better as the season progresses or become a slacker again? At least we have a few positive signs especially the weight loss. Losing that amount of weight is not an easy thing to do. AD might also become more inspired and team orientated because of the make up of this roster. Looking at all the other teams in the Eastern conference, it just could be that the Pistons might be the surprise team this season depending on how Drummond plays and how well the coaching staff performs. If the coaching staff goes brain dead and ignore obvious game experiences and refuse to make adjustments based on performance, the team will be better off without them. I say that because I think the team would have been better off without the coaching staff in the last half of last season. The water boy could have done a better job.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Watch ESPN series E:60 regarding story on Darko #2 overall draft pick by Joe Dumars and where he is today

Post  cool breeze Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Good stuff in this documentary with several short interviews with Larry Brown and Mr. BigShot. Darko rips his game jersey in half not just once but several times in his 10 year NBA career. Darko seems to have a pretty cool life now in Serbia on the apple farm. He made $52 mil in the NBA and by the looks of things he was able to hang on to some of the money. Joe Dumars refused an interview request. Billups appeared to still be puzzled as to why C. Anthony was not selected by Joe. Prince was quoted previously that the Pistons would have won two to three more championships if the team had drafted Carmelo who really always wanted to play on that Piston team. What the documentary did not mention was the fact that Darko was a 3 pack to 4 pack a day smoker at the time Dumars drafted him.

Sound similar to what previous cabinet members or members of congress might have done when they failed to do background investigations on IT staffers. " Did you read any Top Secret, Secret, confidential e-mails on the servers you worked with? "Yes I read all of them". Did you have a security clearance? "No". Allowing people off the street access to classified documents would get a military person a stiff prison sentence. But of course elected officials are so important that they are immune rules of law. Joe Dumars has received a lot of heat regarding the Darko pick. Washington elites are immune to such things. Maybe if they are forced to go on the Obama Health Care Server to get their health insurance the Good Old Boys Club that includes both corrupt political parties will suddenly pass a new health care bill that doesn't punish the young middle class families who do not get subsidies and are forced to subsidize others. The couple with two or more kids who have done everything right in life, have large student loans or worked for next to nothing in apprentice type jobs to become a plumber or electrician, now are rewarded with high health care premiums and big deductibles. Meanwhile the drug companies who contribute billions to members of Congress are riding high with that deal they got when Obama Care went into effect that nobody wants to talk about. The pills are flowing at high rates and at a high prices. In comparison to members of Congress, Joe Dumars was a genius.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Lawrence Frank

Post  Sparma Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Our former coach has made a big comeback (below), stepping around or over Doc Rivers.  My guess is that Jerry West played a big consulting role in bringing about Balmer's change of view.  Now we're down to three coaches/ GM in the NBA: SVG, Popovich, and Thibodeau.  I'd thought that the dual role could work well, but SVG hasn't made a strong case for the duality.   There's been success in soccer (Wenger at Arsenal), but even there it's become super controversial (with an aging Wenger).

Quoted at CBS:

"I've owned the team for three years now, and I really better understand what an owner's responsibility is -- and it turns out that running a franchise and coaching are two enormous and different jobs," Ballmer told ESPN on Friday. "The notion that one person can fairly focus on them and give them all the attention they need isn't the case. To be as good as we can be, to be a championship franchise, we need two functioning strong people building teams out beneath them. There needs to be a healthy discussion and debate with two strong, independent minded people.

"There are different relationships that a player needs to have with the coach and the front office," Ballmer said. "Doc put Lawrence in charge of the non-coaching aspects of the front office last year, and he's done a fantastic job. I want each of them to dig in and do what they do best. Lawrence has come on so strong in that role, and that has helped us go down this path."
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next