Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
lemonpen
FlyDog
Go Stones!
Sebastian
Phil-Good
merc
deusXango
Oracle
WTF
Fennis Dembo
14 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Time to Make a Move

Post  lemonpen Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:06 pm

This team has become as flat as a pancake. Our talent seems to have maxed out its production. We need more weapons even if KCP returns without missing a step. Jennings plus pickum (Anthony, Bullock, Dinwiddie, Meeks) for Ryan Anderson. If Ryan moves the needle (which I believe he will), throw $$$$$ at him to stay. His age, size, experience and skillset is on the money for us.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Phillip, I hear you, but just to play along...

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:00 am

Phil1980boy wrote:"Phillip, I love Booker, he's really playing well, but he's nowhere near the defender that KCP is, which means he's more suited as a 6th man, microwave type, but we'll see."

Oracle. Stop me when I run down these names and "great defender" jumps out at you.

Ray Allen? Allen Houston? Step Curry? Klay Thompson? Dell Curry? Glen Rice? Chuck Person? Reggie Miller? Mitch Richmond? Chris Mullin? Kyle Korver? I don't mean to get too hype but Booker will be in that class of shooters when he done playing in the NBA.

In today's NBA. Great shooting is at A PREMIUM... You don't have to be the best defender. As long as you play solid team defense. The Pistons could use some shooters. Wonder what the trade winds might blow our way???

I get what you're saying, but that only means you have to decide two things,

1. What kind of team you want, and
2. How you want to win a championship

BTW, I had to stop you at your first one, and question you on your third!

Ray Allen was an average to below average defender... UNTIL he went to Boston where he became a well above average, though not great defender, but he defended well enough to win it all!

The same goes for Steph Curry, the biggest improvement in his game was how well he defended, though I will grant you that he still has a ways to go!

KCP is a well above average defender with the potential of becoming a great defender, he's our 3rd leading scorer and has shown the ability lately to be able to put the team on his back in the 4th! I'm just confused as to what more you might be asking of a player with 2 years experience. BTW, Booker isn't shooting better than KCP on average, even with KCP playing more minutes. Those averages generally drop down a bit with more minutes!

Booker could likely be a starter in the west and some teams in the east, but as I said, you have to figure out what wins in the playoffs, and it's ALWAYS defense with good enough offense! Even Golden State is no exception, they win on defense, they just happen to be a superior offensive team... just ask LeBron Smile
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty RE Booker

Post  Phil-Good Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 pm

"Phillip, I love Booker, he's really playing well, but he's nowhere near the defender that KCP is, which means he's more suited as a 6th man, microwave type, but we'll see."

Oracle. Stop me when I run down these names and "great defender" jumps out at you.

Ray Allen? Allen Houston? Step Curry? Klay Thompson? Dell Curry? Glen Rice? Chuck Person? Reggie Miller? Mitch Richmond? Chris Mullin? Kyle Korver? I don't mean to get too hype but Booker will be in that class of shooters when he done playing in the NBA.

In today's NBA. Great shooting is at A PREMIUM... You don't have to be the best defender. As long as you play solid team defense. The Pistons could use some shooters. Wonder what the trade winds might blow our way???
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Phil1980boy wrote:Look, I really like Stanley Johnson. I really like Hilliard. I believe these two guy will be on the Pistons roster when Detroit gets back to the NBA Finals.

But I had Booker at the top of my Draft board. Above Stanley, J.Winslow, Mudiay and Mario Hezonja. I said D.Booker will be the next Ray Allen/Allen Houston....type of 2-guard.

I like Stanley Johnson. Johnson will be A Jimmy Butler/Ron Artest type of 2/3/4 man in the NBA.

We going to look back at that 2015 Draft and say WOW! It was loaded with good NBA players. All star guys.

I like KCP but I like Booker two years from now way more!!! I like KCP but I hope KCP has A upside nobody could have seen coming. Right now KCP looks like A Vernon Maxwell type of 2 man. We will see.

I think that you are right Phil. Booker is so young and talented there is no telling how great he will become. The guy can flat out shoot the ball from distance really well. We know what Pope can do. He has improved a lot since his rookie season but is still inconsistent as an all around player. But then he is young as well and has never been a problem and is a good team orientated player. My gut feeling is that SVG has a good feel as to how much better Pope will get and will make the right decision moving forward as to the future status of the 2 guard position.

Too bad Jennings has not really helped our young Pistons the way a lot of people thought he could. And of course his trade value is not high at all right now so we most likely will see a lot of him for the rest of the season and then he will be gone. I would like a 2nd round pick for Jennings in this coming draft. There will be some high potential players in the 2nd round again this summer. If only we had some of those draft picks Boston has stacked up.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty All Star Game & Stuff

Post  Oracle Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:32 am

All Star Game = All Entertainment, no Game

Ok, I know, understand and approve of it not being a defensive show, but DAMN, this was ridiculous! Just letting guys score with absolutely no resistance? I can go for that with Kobe, but just a little defense on everybody else!

My point is that without some token defense, it's not even basketball, or maybe I'm too old school on this...

Pistons Trade: Should they pull a trade? I wasn't really for a trade, but these last 10 games or so have convinced me that this team needs an energy boost from somewhere, and I can't see where that comes from what we have! My hope was that Jennings would do it, but realistically, I should have known that it takes time to recover from an injury that major!

Stanley still could do it, but that's a lot to put on a rookie's shoulders, and Jennings could surprise! BTW, Phillip, I love Booker, he's really playing well, but he's nowhere near the defender that KCP is, which means he's more suited as a 6th man, microwave type, but we'll see.

Morris Twins: As Stones said, that's a slippery slope, but him being 1 inch taller than Marcus with attitude and on a majorly friendly contract, I'd have to pull the trigger and send Ersan to the bench to help shore up the 2nd unit! IMO, this would be a nice move, not a blockbuster, but a solid move that has financial flexibility, and as Stones mentioned, we could build him up and really get something if needed!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Morris Twins

Post  Go Stones! Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:42 pm

This is a slippery slope to bring the other Twin here. The good news is that Stan will get him on the cheap, will hound him (as coach) and will just send him away (as GM) if things get crazy. I like his passion (like Sheed). However, if Stan can take his contract and trade it away after he makes something of him, it may be a nice little project. Worst case scenario is that he comes off the bench. Marcus is in the top of the league in minutes so his twin may give us even more burn and allow Marcus to still max out his minutes.
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Will the Pistons pull of A trade????

Post  Phil-Good Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:28 pm

I say yes. Keep A eye on the Other Twin. He A Drama King. So we will see.  But the kid can play.He and KCP would have to get together and make sure everything is on the up and up. Don't want to see chemistry get killed with two Morris boys together. 1 is A hand full.Two would be A lot to deal with.

That looks to be the biggest noise out there. The twins coming back together.

We will see....

Last edited by Phil1980boy on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty I had Booker at the top of my NBA Draft board

Post  Phil-Good Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:51 am

Look, I really like Stanley Johnson. I really like Hilliard. I believe these two guy will be on the Pistons roster when Detroit gets back to the NBA Finals.

But I had Booker at the top of my Draft board. Above Stanley, J.Winslow, Mudiay and Mario Hezonja. I said D.Booker will be the next Ray Allen/Allen Houston....type of 2-guard.

I like Stanley Johnson. Johnson will be A Jimmy Butler/Ron Artest type of 2/3/4 man in the NBA.

We going to look back at that 2015 Draft and say WOW! It was loaded with good NBA players. All star guys.

I like KCP but I like Booker two years from now way more!!! I like KCP but I hope KCP has A upside nobody could have seen coming. Right now KCP looks like A Vernon Maxwell type of 2 man. We will see.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Bob Wojnowski's article relating to Billups and Jackson

Post  cool breeze Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:51 pm

I loved this piece of work by Bob W. of the Detroit News. So far, I believe that the pick up of Reggie Jackson and Stanley Johnson has been really sweet and much credit should go to SVG. My hope is that as the Pistons add more athletic, smarter and more talented players, Reggie Jackson and Andre Drummond will finally see the light and put in the necessary work to become good defenders. Both are extremely athletic. Both have good quickness. Reggie Jackson has the potential to become an All NBA First Team defender. Right because of his quickness, mind, and his long arms. He wants it all. He wants to measure up to Billups as a leader. Right now the Pistons struggle to score. However, as time moves forward SVG will secure better power forwards and the other young guys will shoot the ball much better. When that happens, Reggie Jackson has to unleash his leadership on the defensive end of the floor by example. This will change everything for the Pistons. At that time, our Pistons will also not be losing games at the free throw line and will not be known as the worst free throw shooting team in the NBA.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty As our Pistons have such a long way to go, perhaps SVG should look under the radar and trade or sign younger players who have great potential

Post  cool breeze Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:16 pm

I am thinking that A.H. is not coming to the Pistons any time soon. The Hawks can find a better fit for their team elsewhere if they decide AH and JT are not worth the price they will be asking in the free agency market. And Detroit has to hang on to the young guys who are forming chemistry positive team chemistry this season. I thought that the logical trade asset was Brandon Jennings but his stock has really dropped off over the past month. He is average at best right now so why would a team want him especially when they think about his defensive issues throughout his career.

I believe that Detroit should try to steal Arron Gordon from Orlando. Also one player who many of you may have forgotten or never really watched much is Kyle Anderson currently moving up in the rotation for the Spurs. Would Pop part with Anderson though? My gut feeling is that Anderson will be a NBA star once he gets more playing time. Was UCLA's starting point guard over Lavine and was their best player and their clutch player.

The young college players seem to becoming better and more ready NBA type players as time moves forward. Boston has so many trading chips in their pocket right now it is crazy. I would like some of their 2nd round picks. Knowing that SVG has a fantastic staff in place is a really good thinker relating to making good draft pick selections, I would be happy if Stan traded Jennings and other average Piston vets for draft picks. We need better more athletic players who are exceptional defenders. Turn over every rock and find those players either in the draft, current players warming the benches of other teams or cherry picking players in the D League. Build the team the right was with patience and add superior athletes. This team is getting their asses kicked by superior athletes right now who are more mentally disciplined.

Finally, I would consider trading Andre Drummond if the Pistons could get two superior younger proven NBA stud players with a number one draft pick. I was not impressed with the amount of mental mistakes he made on defense in this last game. He was not alone but the same mental mistakes are being made by Andre game after game and season after season. Arizona played UCLA last night and Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis Jefferson attended the game. At one point after the first half ended, both Johnson and Jefferson asked coach Sean Miller why so many Arizona players were constantly in the wrong place at the wrong time in their defensive rotations. Those two former wing players for Arizona know how to play and seldom make mistakes on the defensive end and they are both much younger than Andre Drummond. Some players never get it mentally. They have never done it and coaches can never get through the wall they have built. I hope that I am wrong about Andre Drummond. He could be a defensive monster who every driver would fear when they get into the lane. But so far all NBA teams are able to out fox Andre and know he doesn't have the right stuff mentally on defense yet. SVG knows knows Andre's potential but must go nuts watching what he does at times in the games. Andre is not alone as there are others who are inept defenders and have no clue as to what it takes to play defense the right way. With that said, the current players are still far superior to the previous slugs we have watched in the past. SVG will expect more from the current players as this season winds down and if they do not improve, then he will do the right thing for the future of the Pistons.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Well, Horford and more are on the block...

Post  Oracle Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 pm

For the right price - Hawks may entertain deals for Al Horford, Jeff Teague at deadline

Horford is aging, though not badly, but he's not even the Al from last season!

I don't know who mentioned KCP, but that would be a serious mistake!

I am concerned about Reggie, he seems to be struggling with the stamina required to be a lead guard, and I forget what that condition he has is, but if he can't last a whole season, that could be a problem! At his age, he should be in a sweet spot physically, so that needs watching, but right now I still like him over Teague although I do like Teague as well!

The Hawks making it known like this may also offer some 3rd party opportunities to make deals work, so I hope SVG & company have their ears close to the ground to hear where the Buffalo's are herding.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty I would like to see Horford in a Piston uniform now

Post  cool breeze Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:21 pm

I have read all the negative thoughts about this potential trade. Those points are well taken. However, we need better two-way players. Horford is a solid consistent player who shows up every night playing the right way on both ends. He makes few mistakes in crunch time. That is what we need. We need a capable defender to help Andre learn the game especially on defense who knows where to be on the floor and gets there. I believe he is the perfect player for this team. The details need to be clarified relating to signing him to a new Piston contract of course. Pope's name is mentioned as a trade partner.

I would like to see Detroit somehow get Gary Harris down the line. I love the way this kid plays defense.

Who knows about any rumors relating to Brandon Jennings status? I was hoping that Brandon would be stoked coming out in the 3rd quarter of this last game, but not so relating to playing defense. He hit some meaningless jump shots at the end but didn't have that Reggie Jackson extra gear. Maybe he also has the flu though because he as looked sluggish much like Stanley Johnson over the past two games. I like what other posters said about the players needing a break away to forget about basketball and come back with the feeling that they enjoy playing the game.

Great speeches by several retired players and especially Mr. Billups. What a leader!

One final comment has to be made about Morris. I believe he has been the most solid Piston so far this season. He as far exceeded my expectations and I hope he can keep bringing more solid performances for the rest of the year.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:02 pm

deusXango wrote:
Phil1980boy wrote:I'm happy for the progress this team has made from this time last season to this time now. I had Detroit at 41 and 41 for the season and that's where Detroit is at the half-way point.

It's nobody on this team I don't like. I like every player Detroit plays in the rotation for Blake, Jackson to Hilliard and even Spence over in the D League.

I want to see everybody who not involved in all star weekend take 5 days away from basketball. Go on A mini vacation. Hit A Island and chill out. Forget about basketball. Spend A little bit of that good NBA Money. Come back with A clear head and healthy.

Good job to this team for giving 100% every night so far. Good things are on the way for this young Detroit Pistons team. clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap  
.500 ball at the All-Star break is a breath of fresh air; let's see what the second half produces. I'd say a good third of our loses, not only were we in there but, we scared the sh!t out of our opponents.

Good looking team but, I'm looking to keep the young'uns and watch them develop. If Mr. Dinwiddie doesn't come out the gate blazing next season, I think he's done, and I like the potential of the guy. SVG has got to find a young stud to put next to Drummond at PF; we're just getting by there but, considering what we looked like on the frontline last year, I applaud our forwards this year!

Stanley Johnson...give him some clock and watch him go! The same with Hilliard. This is where the great coaches buff and shine up their nuggets, I can't wait to see how SVG handles these two over the next couple of years.

I'm so happy to see Chauncey's #1 raised to the rafters; he's an all-around real one. Out of all the dignitaries associated with the Pistons, where was Joe "The Donut" Dumars? I hope he's okay because it would have been really classy for him to there.

Phi and dX I really like what you both said here. It is sad that this short handed team couldn't pull off a victory on Mr. BigShot's night. But it looked to me that Stanley Johnson also has the same bug that Jackson and Ily are dealing with. The entire team looked like they were struggling hard carrying heavy weight with the legs not cooperating. It is clear that they missed their leader, Reggie Jackson as well.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Congrats Chauncey

Post  FlyDog Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:38 am

After a great start to the season against top flight competition, this team seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

I saw a KCP for Horford rumor. That would just be plain stupid. We're not ready to contend. In fact............the way we're playing now, we'll end up in the lottery. Again.
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Yep!

Post  deusXango Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:17 am

Phil1980boy wrote:I'm happy for the progress this team has made from this time last season to this time now. I had Detroit at 41 and 41 for the season and that's where Detroit is at the half-way point.

It's nobody on this team I don't like. I like every player Detroit plays in the rotation for Blake, Jackson to Hilliard and even Spence over in the D League.

I want to see everybody who not involved in all star weekend take 5 days away from basketball. Go on A mini vacation. Hit A Island and chill out. Forget about basketball. Spend A little bit of that good NBA Money. Come back with A clear head and healthy.

Good job to this team for giving 100% every night so far. Good things are on the way for this young Detroit Pistons team. clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap  
.500 ball at the All-Star break is a breath of fresh air; let's see what the second half produces. I'd say a good third of our loses, not only were we in there but, we scared the sh!t out of our opponents.

Good looking team but, I'm looking to keep the young'uns and watch them develop. If Mr. Dinwiddie doesn't come out the gate blazing next season, I think he's done, and I like the potential of the guy. SVG has got to find a young stud to put next to Drummond at PF; we're just getting by there but, considering what we looked like on the frontline last year, I applaud our forwards this year!

Stanley Johnson...give him some clock and watch him go! The same with Hilliard. This is where the great coaches buff and shine up their nuggets, I can't wait to see how SVG handles these two over the next couple of years.

I'm so happy to see Chauncey's #1 raised to the rafters; he's an all-around real one. Out of all the dignitaries associated with the Pistons, where was Joe "The Donut" Dumars? I hope he's okay because it would have been really classy for him to there.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty .500 is Right where this team should be

Post  Phil-Good Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:43 pm

I'm happy for the progress this team has made from this time last season to this time now. I had Detroit at 41 and 41 for the season and that's where Detroit is at the half-way point.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:26 pm

@Don - No apology necessary, but the fact that you did speaks volumes about your character, thanks Don!

@Merc - I agree, I like when there are real disagreements because that's where you learn and test your thoughts against the thoughts of others that know a lot about the game! Everybody gets testy from time to time, but don, like a real man stood up!

@Stones - Yup, we're really missing KCP, but it's not only his defense, it's the way he plays, ALL OUT, that also inspires others to do the same!

@SVG - I think you picked the wrong season to dump Arnie lol lol lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty KCP

Post  Go Stones! Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:07 pm

This drought and KCP's injury is not necessarily a bad thing looking forward. KCP being injured now shows how much his defense affects the other team and helps our team. Look at how close most of the games were before, but these last few were really terrible. SVG can see how inadequate the others are on defense now. It must really bug him.

It also shows the worth of KCP! I knew he had potential and was playing both ends of the floor. I believe he will be an all-star in a few years if all goes right with his health.

So, we have PG, C and SG all set up. Now for PF and SF. Stanimal can make SF an all-star, but we really need a good PF. Hofford would be excellent. He was unstoppable a couple years ago, but has not been heard from for a while. I bet he bails this summer...would like to think Pistons would work great but he will most likely hit NY or LA...and fizzle.
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:24 pm

Nothing wrong with lively debates... considering the lack of moderation here it's amazing we don't have flaming wars like the DetNews (have to admit I miss kicking Lee's ass)..
I'm somewhere between you guys when it comes to SVG... he does seem to lack creativity with his predictable sets... the driving lane is shrinking for Jackson... this is part tunnel vision and part lack of respect for the teams shooting range.... you can't play like the Spurs if you have not been together for more than a few months and you can't stretch the floor.
We may need to keep in perspective the growth process and consider where this team was about 8 months ago... it's unreasoble to expect a new team with a fairly new coach with a shity roster he inherited to jump from the lotto to a top seed... they are actually ahead of schedule...  lacking consistent play and boneheaded plays should be expected for the moment..

Don you might want to sit back and enjoy the improvements and reserve harsh judgement for next year... it's one part youth & new teammates... one part lack of talent coming the pits of the NBA... one part coaching and evolving the playbook & individual development.
Final judgement day is not now.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Oracle wrote:What you detect is not that I didn't see the game, it's that I'm not evaluating us based on a single game!

You think I didn't see the game, but I think you didn't really read my post, because I didn't reference the game, I talked about the team!

You said, "The shots were open shots and that is the best a coach can hope for in the NBA"! I totally disagree, that's NOT the best a coach can hope for, that's a prayer, a good coach MAKES things happen!

Speaking of the game, Toronto actually runs plays to make things happen! I hate to shock you, but we don't do that very much! Once in a while SVG runs plays for INDIVIDUALS... WTF is up with that? Plays should involve multiple individuals each tasked with scoring if the situation is right, with the design that one option will be there!

We run simple plays that are easily sniffed out, with the hope that maybe we get a low percentage shot!

I know SVG said he had to limit the playbook earlier in the season, but it's time to open it up, we need less predictability!

Toronto looks good to you simply because they are a team with a design and they're executing and while we have a design, it's not good enough and we're not executing... yet!

Folks may disagree, but the problem is either personnel, coaching, or a mixture of the two... time will tell!

Sorry for the harsh comments Oracle. That was out of line. Everyone has their individual point of view relating to the game of basketball and that is what makes the game so cool. You made some more good points with this post. We agree that it is fun to watch Toronto execute their offense. Everyone is involved. Our guys are still at first level play most of the time. However, we must understand that the core players for that team have suffered big disappointments in the past just like our Pistons when they failed to have the necessary discipline to do the things they are now able to do well. I have always admired T. Ross who was a very disciplined player on both ends of the floor when he was playing in the old PAC10. That team has come a long way so it will be interesting to see how they perform in the playoffs this time around.

Meanwhile, our Pistons are a work in progress but I still do not believe the way they are performing is a reflection of bad coaching. Reggie Jackson is still learning the game but I wouldn't count him out as a player who will become much wiser and more disciplined on both ends of the court with time. The jury is still out for me relating to Andre Drummond's total potential. if he concentrates on becoming a defensive force, our Pistons might still roll over a lot of teams playing the simple style they are playing right now. We need better shooters so we either gamble and bring new blood into the organization or trust that the current players just need a lot more time to learn how to win together. I would just be happy if this group played really hard like most of them did last night. I do not see Brandon Jennings as a Piston any longer than this season. But the season needs to play out unless a trade is already in the works. Relating to coaching, I think what has happened so far this season is more than we should have expected. I am actually very surprised and happy that this team has the capability to beat any team in the league on a given night if everything is clicking. How many years has it been since we have had that possibility? I get disappointed as hell when the Pistons lose but I also see that we now have players who are also really disappointed as well. That is a sweet thing for me. As SVG acquires more elite players or our current core becomes tougher and smarter, our Pistons are going to be moving up the chain of success. Before this season, everything was going the opposite way. Therefore, the coaching staff should get a lot of credit for getting things moving in the right direction. A lot of NBA teams who were like the Pistons a year or two ago are still floundering. This Piston team just needs to tweak the defense mostly by giving a better effort and then start making more shots especially the free throws.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Don

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:07 pm

What you detect is not that I didn't see the game, it's that I'm not evaluating us based on a single game!

You think I didn't see the game, but I think you didn't really read my post, because I didn't reference the game, I talked about the team!

You said, "The shots were open shots and that is the best a coach can hope for in the NBA"! I totally disagree, that's NOT the best a coach can hope for, that's a prayer, a good coach MAKES things happen!

Speaking of the game, Toronto actually runs plays to make things happen! I hate to shock you, but we don't do that very much! Once in a while SVG runs plays for INDIVIDUALS... WTF is up with that? Plays should involve multiple individuals each tasked with scoring if the situation is right, with the design that one option will be there!

We run simple plays that are easily sniffed out, with the hope that maybe we get a low percentage shot!

I know SVG said he had to limit the playbook earlier in the season, but it's time to open it up, we need less predictability!

Toronto looks good to you simply because they are a team with a design and they're executing and while we have a design, it's not good enough and we're not executing... yet!

Folks may disagree, but the problem is either personnel, coaching, or a mixture of the two... time will tell!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Oracle some of your comments make me think that you didn't really watch this game

Post  cool breeze Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:53 am

I say this because of your comment about Jennings. My thought over the past 5 games is that the Pistons should trade Jennings as soon as possible and take a 2nd round pick if necessary. It was Jennings, in my opinion who has been the key guy that ruined team chemistry by his lackluster defensive effort. In this last game I thought everyone but Jennings played hard on the defensive end. It was Jennings man who constantly was able to get dribble penetration or a wide open look. He switched when it wasn't the right decision as well. Also it was telling to me that he was unable to make a pass into the big man. Meanwhile, Stanley Johnson, who looked ill still was always able when bringing the ball down the court get the ball inside or to a open wing player. Jennings is of no value unless he is able to create his own shot and make those shots. He has not been able to do that over a series of games. This kills the 2nd unit.

Oracle the comments about SVG and the coaching staff is pure nonsense. The Piston players were getting outplayed in this game and that had nothing to do with coaching. Andre missed too many free throws as well but do you send him to the bench when Baynes has been having a difficult time right now? No the shots are not falling from beyond the 3 point line. I think the Pistons were something like 4 for 14 in that area in the first half alone. The shots were open shots and that is the best a coach can hope for in the NBA. The paint was well protected which prevented Jackson from getting his usual easy layups or shots around the basket and the same goes for Drummond. Credit the Raptors in executing their game plan. What can any Piston coach do if you have a guy like Jennings playing with half an effort on the defensive end against the two amazing point guards on that Toronto team? I keep saying that Jennings should go to the bench and Blake should be playing with that 2nd unit. But of course SVG has to think about the future and see what he has in Jennings relating to keeping him or trading him. I am for the latter based on Jennings last month of play. He clearly has hurt his team the most of any player outside of Drummond's inability to make free throws. It is so easy to blame the coaches much like previous years where the Pistons had real losers wearing the Piston uniform. Establish the tough defense and the shots will start falling. Perhaps SVG the GM will need to bring in new blood to get that accomplished. SVG is the best coach the Pistons have had in many years.

I was encouraged with what the Pistons did in this game. Why do I say that? Because Andre Drummond and the rest of the starting group, played a really good game on the defensive end for the entire first quarter until Jennings came into the game. Andre was so much better in staying alert and offering resistance to drivers while keeping track of his assigned big man. Ily. also played really hard on defense as well as Johnson, Jackson, Morris and Hilliard for the entire first half. After the first quarter both point guards had difficulty for sure. But Jackson has showed me over the past three games that he is trying hard and is improving on defense. The defense broke down with the 2nd unit under Jennings leadership. But if the starters can expand that effort on defense for an entire game, Detroit might make the playoffs. If not they have no chance.

Toronto looks like the 2nd best team in the NBA right now next to Golden State. Can that team carry this same effort and confidence in shot making into the playoffs or will they bomb out again? I like the fact that Toronto might give Cleveland a run for their money this year. Fantastic defensive effort shows every time they play basketball this season. This is where Detroit needs to get to in the future.

Finally the sad thing about this game was that Morris played his butt off with no win to show for it. Still I love the fact that we do have some players who really are trying to get better. The officials were not kind to either Baynes or Morris in that game. I thought Morris should have gone to the line at least 4 more times. And Baynes was called for traveling twice when he was clearly pushed.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty WTF???

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:51 am

WTF wrote:Slow down all you trade warriors out there.   Just keep in mind there's not a trade to made that will drastically move this team beyond where they're currently sitting this season.  This isn't to say the team can't get better down the road with the right move but SVG needs to be extremely careful in making a trade.  

I'm not sold on this team current players though it's nice seeing them above .500 for a change but we can blink and this team could be right back in the lottery.   In fairness to the players I think SVG has been their biggest problem.  

SVG IMO doesn't seem like a teacher, or a motivator he's almost a whiner and deflector or responsibility of what really ails this team.  IMO both the offense and defense lacks substance there is no true define leader on either side of the ball.  Where the bread and butter big money crunch time go play yet along player? where is that lock down defender?  Just saying remember how as fans we could talk about our past two contending teams even as they developed and saying things like switching gears and, turning it on and off.   Well people we had point guards that flipping those switches and turning it on.  Reggie isn't that guy and I don't see him ever being it. At least Jennings has some SWAG!!!! that often looks like leadership some of the time.  

Defensively we need a game changer,  a Big Ben or a Worm hell we don't even have a Hunter or James coming in making a statement on defense. In short the team needs improvement across the board.  We might even need a new coach (Can you imagine what a coach like Collins in the past would have done with a young team like this)  This team would be a lock for 50 wins with the right coach.

Wise, you sound like a man that is guessing quite a bit which is natural when you haven't been following as close as we have.

Having said that, I do think you've hit on something that's bothering me! IMO, the players are good enough, but the coaching has been almost  nonexistent! I'm not saying we couldn't use some upgrading, but I am saying that we're not getting the most out of our talent!

We complain about them moving the ball, but what about running some damn plays? SVG's concept of plays is Reggie penetrating and dishing to someone standing out in 3 point land to jack up a low percentage shot(at least from our ability to shoot the 3, it's low).

Other teams run plays to get layups, or close in shots, SVG prays that Reggie can go crazy in every single game, and that's just not possible! So you're right, SVG whines when he should be coaching, which I've been complaining about and I'm glad someone else can see it too!

I think Lemonpen mentioned it a while back that teams have begun to figure us out! It's true, SVG has made next to no adjustments offensively, and few defensively that have made an impact! He keeps doing the same things and hoping for a different result, which is of course, insane!

However, you're wrong about a defensive stopper! At least in the backcourt! KCP is the guy we're missing, that people like you never seem to understand the value of an on court leader! When KCP is in the game he's the man without fear, he gives everything and plays 100% all of the time, and in the 4th, he hits our big shots and gives others the desire to play to his level... that's leadership!

But he can't do it all alone, so you and Don are right, we need Andre to channel any of the 2004 Wallace's he wants to, and if he can't we need a PF that can defend as well as shoot! We're getting almost nothing from Drummond defensively, and it's killing this team!

Your comments on Reggie are what you say about everybody with talent that isn't developed yet, but you're wrong! I do believe Jennings is the better starting PG for this team, but not for the reason you state, and I do believe Reggie can get it right at some point!

Jennings is simply a better PG to play with Drummond! He's better helping Drummond score, and the side benefit of that is once it happens, Drummond plays better on the defensive end! Why can't Drummond do that even if he can't get real involved offensively? Who knows, and I don't give a crap, just get him the PG he needs so we don't have to ask the question anymore!

The problem is that Jennings needs more time to get his mojo back. It could come quicker if he could start, but that isn't happening!

Finally, IMO, they're phoning it in and praying the break comes quickly! They're hurting, they miss KCP, Drummond's mind is elsewhere, in short they're a mess, but they will kick Denver's ass!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Outside Thoughts

Post  WTF Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Slow down all you trade warriors out there. Just keep in mind there's not a trade to made that will drastically move this team beyond where they're currently sitting this season. This isn't to say the team can't get better down the road with the right move but SVG needs to be extremely careful in making a trade.

I'm not sold on this team current players though it's nice seeing them above .500 for a change but we can blink and this team could be right back in the lottery. In fairness to the players I think SVG has been their biggest problem.

SVG IMO doesn't seem like a teacher, or a motivator he's almost a whiner and deflector or responsibility of what really ails this team. IMO both the offense and defense lacks substance there is no true define leader on either side of the ball. Where the bread and butter big money crunch time go play yet along player? where is that lock down defender? Just saying remember how as fans we could talk about our past two contending teams even as they developed and saying things like switching gears and, turning it on and off. Well people we had point guards that flipping those switches and turning it on. Reggie isn't that guy and I don't see him ever being it. At least Jennings has some SWAG!!!! that often looks like leadership some of the time.

Defensively we need a game changer, a Big Ben or a Worm hell we don't even have a Hunter or James coming in making a statement on defense. In short the team needs improvement across the board. We might even need a new coach (Can you imagine what a coach like Collins in the past would have done with a young team like this) This team would be a lock for 50 wins with the right coach.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Don on Stanley Johnson

Post  Oracle Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Don, I see things a bit differently!

I agree that Stanley Johnson needs more PT, but I don't think he can replace either KCP or Morris!

We are really missing KCP, who is capable of getting the best open looks in crunch time! Stanley isn't even close to KCP in speed, either in the half court, or on the break, and KCP causes a lot more problems at this point for opposing teams.

Morris is a better SF due to his height advantage over opponents! I would like to see Stanley play at SF with Morris at PF rather than Stanley take over SF at this point.

The bottom line for me is that in the future, Stanley will have his pick of positions, but it's way too early to do anything that radical, although I'm really liking that he's not only getting more PT, but with the starters!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next