Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+5
deusXango
BallinD
cool breeze
Murph
Sparma
9 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Luke: The force is strong in that one... not so much for the rest of the Pistons!

Post  Oracle Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 am

Man, the Bucks barely escaped with their lives!!! It's hard work kicking azz that hard, the shoe cleaning alone is smelly business!

Game Summary: The Pistons were defenseless!

A great general, Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke, once said, "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy". In the case of the Pistons, contact with the enemy produced contact with an enema... it was that messy.

If Casey had a plan, it was promptly destroyed at tip off. Hell, even a die hard fan like me had to turn the channel, I've seen car accidents that were less disturbing.

Doc Rivers has a different philosophy when facing dominant tall guys like Durant which Casey may want to try. Doc puts a small defender on him, basically conceding the fact that he'll easily shoot over him, but denying the dribble drive because the smaller guy has the advantage when he puts the ball on the floor.

This doesn't stop Durant, but it slows or stops drives to the rack and the passes out of that, which turns out to be effective.

IMO, that strategy would work even better against the Freak because he can't shoot like Durant!

Good News: Well there's two pieces of good news.
1. It's only one game, and while they were raped on national TV and had their modesty exposed, redemption is only 3 games away... make them work for it!
2. As I hoped, Blake has basically admitted the obvious, he ain't playing any more games this season, and after witnessing that azz whooping, why would anybody risk anything to come back?

Bad News: They call this playoff experience? Well, there is something to learn in every azz whooping, but unfortunately this one teaches you to get your azz into the lottery ASAP  lol lol lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Nets

Post  Murph Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:12 am

Oracle wrote:Dinwiddie, cast off as a never going to be anything scrub, has become an icon of the backcourt of the future. Teamed with Russell, they dominated the Sixers and snatched a game one victory on the road in impressive fashion.

And it's not just Dinwiddie and Russell, the Nets have a whole stable of huge, athletic guards that can score and play defense, and are almost interchangeable...Russell, Harris, Dinwiddie, LeVert and Crabbe.  Just yesterday, they annihilated the 76ers for a combined 70 points, and that's without Crabbe who is out for the season with a knee injury.  

I would love to see the Nets kick Embiid and the 6ers to the curb.

The Nets guards average 6'6 in height, can shoot lights out, are smart, athletic, aggressive and play strong defense.  And the 76er's have a prototypical PG of the future themselves in the 6'10 Ben Simmons.

Opposing GMs, including Stephanski, better take notice and plan accordingly, or we're never going to get by the Nets in coming years.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Congrats P Boy

Post  WTF Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:46 am

I still think me and Don should also share in the win considering those 2 final turds that were gifted to the team in the end. door
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:53 am

Oracle wrote:Dinwiddie, cast off as a never going to be anything scrub, has become an icon of the backcourt of the future. Teamed with Russell, they dominated the Sixers and snatched a game one victory on the road in impressive fashion.

D.J. Augustin, cast off as a too small backup PG is now a starting PG for the Magic and he stuck a 3 point game winning dagger into the heart of the Raptors. It's being called an upset, but the Raptors are something like 1 for 10 in the first game of the first round. In short, getting into the playoffs generally results in those cluster fukers choking. Obviously Casey wasn't the issue as two mainstays provided all the choking they needed in Lowery & Nurse. Lowery went scoreless and Nurse never made a logical adjustment.

However, both teams showed what playoff basketball is all about... DEFENSE!

Watching both games, the Nets played very good defense, but the Magic were totally off the hook! They smothered the Raptors in almost every way and made things difficult.

Defense can overcome a talent gap, so I hope the Pistons can do well tomorrow, and by well, I mean just making the game competitive and giving themselves a chance to steal one.

Great post Oracle. What Piston fan is not envious of what has happened in Orlando? The owner and front office of Orlando came out of the stone age philosophy unlike our owner who allowed SVG to completely screw up the future of the Pistons. What is it, 11 years with two playoff appearances and unless the entire Bucks team has the flu, the Pistons will not have won one playoff game since Billups was traded. Orlando has so many young lean athletic basketball players who play with a high basketball IQ on both ends of the floor. DJ Augustine made the big shot but I was impressed with the way Orlando's management has brought in a lot of players who can play with high intensity and have a similar look. There are so many potential combinations who can be on the floor. The 2nd unit looks exactly like the starting unit. I always thought that Arron Gordon was the most exciting player who ever played at Arizona. He just stood out with his speed and intensity. At that time he couldn't shoot very well from distance. Orlando has been one of the best teams in the NBA since the trade deadline.

The Nets also have gone through rough times, made hard decisions on their roster and now they can at least celebrate the fact that they won a playoff game away from home. Dinwiddie has always been a guy I pulled for when he was in the dog house under SVG. Just got to push the ball even though the Pistons didn't have the players who could win pushing the ball. Dinwiddie knew that and when he did play made the Pistons look a lot better than either Reggie or Ish. It seems that the Pistons have no respect for perimeter players with size who can play effective defense and also know how to run a half court offense. While SVG was behind the Leuer and Galloway signings Tom Gores was the person who decided to make that trade for Griffin. Who doesn't like what Blake has done. But why give up the number one pick in that trade? Why make that trade at that specific time when the Pistons did not have competent players at any position? We don't have the young tall athletic players. The Bucks do so if Tom Gores goal is to get the 8th seed in the Eastern conference for the next 4 years he will sign Ish Smith this summer and bring back Reggie Jackson. And there has been talk that the Pistons might sign Bullock. WOW!

I have seen ti all now with two Philly players using a cell phone while sitting on the bench in the first playoff game on their home court while their team was behind. It will be difficult for Philly fans to forget that.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Ghost of SVG players tossed under the bus haunts the playoffs...

Post  Oracle Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Dinwiddie, cast off as a never going to be anything scrub, has become an icon of the backcourt of the future. Teamed with Russell, they dominated the Sixers and snatched a game one victory on the road in impressive fashion.

D.J. Augustin, cast off as a too small backup PG is now a starting PG for the Magic and he stuck a 3 point game winning dagger into the heart of the Raptors. It's being called an upset, but the Raptors are something like 1 for 10 in the first game of the first round. In short, getting into the playoffs generally results in those cluster fukers choking. Obviously Casey wasn't the issue as two mainstays provided all the choking they needed in Lowery & Nurse. Lowery went scoreless and Nurse never made a logical adjustment.

However, both teams showed what playoff basketball is all about... DEFENSE!

Watching both games, the Nets played very good defense, but the Magic were totally off the hook! They smothered the Raptors in almost every way and made things difficult.

Defense can overcome a talent gap, so I hope the Pistons can do well tomorrow, and by well, I mean just making the game competitive and giving themselves a chance to steal one.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Oracle Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Thanks Sparma, I actually enjoy having us make our predictions, it gives us something to monitor during the season and something to reflect on after the season.

BTW, I'm almost hoping that Blake doesn't play a single game, and gets out of the season injury free. Damn near every time I'd play injured, it either got worse or led to another injury that was worse because I was over compensating for the original injury. It's just better to get fully well before getting out there, IMO.

Plus, if Blake doesn't play, we get a better view of who the real players are on this team, and see who steps up. I've got my eye on Kennard, Ellington, Maker, and Brown.
Sparma wrote:Right on the nose!  Is that enough for you to open an investment firm?

And thanks for keeping track of that, Oracle.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Casey & the Pistons Locker Room Material?

Post  Oracle Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:05 pm

FORUM - Page 23 Untitl42
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Reflecting on the season, here's a very good start

Post  Oracle Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 pm

This article goes through just how special Blake and Drummond were in a historical context numbers wise. Don, I know you're critical of a lot associated with Drummond, but I think that misses the point. If you slap a great bunch of role players and one more star around these two, you're threatening for a championship, that's how good they are and Drummond is getting better. It's humorous now, but I too thought the Blake/Drummond paring was a bust... until it wasn't!!!

ArticlePistons' Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond join exclusive statistical clubs

BTW, that article also looks at Kennard and compares him to Mitchell, and looks at Casey's run as coach, and Casey deserves a lot of credit. I guarantee you that SVG would have blown this season and the team would be quitting on him late in the season like usual.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Sparma wrote:Right on the nose!  Is that enough for you to open an investment firm?

Phil-Good wrote:As usual, I was 1000% correct Oracle. The Pistons went 41 and 41. So what do I win? lol lol

I would had perfered A lottery pick but this sweep my Milwaukee is what Gores wanted and it's what he will get.

All I ask is that Blake sit this out.

NO MORE GRANT HILL, trying to play on A broken body part, STUFF!!! The Pistons will trade Drummonds before they offer him another MAX contract. TRUST ME ON THIS!!!

So as the Pistons continue to develop, and rebuild, things will be changing in DRAMATIC form real soon.

I hope your right Phil. Eleven years is long enough to spend in the sewer. I like the spin relating to the Piston's record. Yes celebrate the Pistons had a "non losing record". WOW!

Grant Hill was leaving the Pistons but that was a true show of character with him playing on that painful ankle most likely causing more damage. And we got Ben Wallace who changed the Pistons Teal culture for many years. Then Joe Dumars reverted back to Teal culture without wearing those horrible uniforms. We have Blake under contract for many seasons to come. He damn well better sit this series out. Piston players will make more money by making the 8th seed. Good for them. It might be healthier for Piston fans to skip the actual games. Keep blinders on and hope for two good draft picks and maybe signing the Bucks point guard this summer.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Congratulations Phil!

Post  Sparma Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am

Right on the nose! Is that enough for you to open an investment firm?

Phil-Good wrote:As usual, I was 1000% correct Oracle. The Pistons went 41 and 41. So what do I win? lol lol

I would had perfered A lottery pick but this sweep my Milwaukee is what Gores wanted and it's what he will get.

NO MORE GRANT HILL, trying to play on A broken body part, STUFF!!! The Pistons will trade Drummonds before they offer him another MAX contract. TRUST ME ON THIS!!!

So as the Pistons continue to develop, and rebuild, things will be changing in DRAMATIC form real soon.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:41 am

Murph wrote:Let's see what Maker can do to contain the Greek Freak.  Maker is the only Piston even remotely big enough, long enough, athletic enough and healthy enough to have any chance of containing Antetokounmpo.  

And he has the added bonus of having guarded Giannis in practice for years.

Please step up to the plate and show us what you can do, Thon.  This is your time.  Are you up to the challenge?

Maker's original role that got him playing time was his positive effect coming off the bench with interior defense. He blocked a lot of shots and moved fast as a help defender. Something happened and Maker lacked that extra energy he showed early on and became a liability on defense. Lately his teammates have tried to get him out of his shooting slump by finding him more on that baseline corner for his 3 point shot. But he hasn't been able to make those shots. Maybe that has effected his defense. To me ZaZa is a superior player and needed to protect the paint. I like ZaZa's physical play even if he is past his prime. But next season management either has to beef up Maker and help develop him into a stronger player over the summer or bring in another big man who can be more effective as a paint defender. Maker is young and his teammates really like his character. I hope he transforms his body and comes back next season with the mind set that he can become a high energy shot blocker.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:31 am

Murph wrote:Keep your eye on Malcom Brogdon in this playoff series, and decide if he could be our starting PG next year.

Brogdon is a restricted free agent at the end of the season, but the Bucks might have difficulty affording him.  The Bucks will be about $32 million under the luxury cap going into the off season, but they have to resign All Star Kris Middleton first, and they probably want to bring back Brook Lopez for relatively cheap.  Middleton could command a max contract, but more realistically, he will probably sign for something like 5 years at $28 million per.  Lopez could sign for 3 years at $8 million per.  That would leave no money to resign Brogdon.

The Pistons should pull out all stops to sign Brogdon.  They should make an offer that is so painful for the Bucks to match, that the Bucks will be forced to let him walk away.  The Pistons should offer Brogdon $18 or $20 million per year for 5 years.

If we signed Brogdon, Gores would probably have to pay the luxury tax for 1 year, but come on...  The man has made $900 freaking million on his bargain basement purchase of the Pistons.  He can afford to pay a luxury tax for 1 measly year, until the contracts of Jackson, Leuer, Galloway and Josh Smith finally expire.

Brogdon is that big PG we need.  He will be 27 next year, and he's 6'5.  He shoots lights out.  He passes well.  And he's a capable defender with a high basketball IQ.

Furthermore, stealing Brogdon would not only strengthen the Pistons, it would weaken the Bucks, who are our direct competition in the East.  The Bucks would probably move on to Donte DeVincenzo as their starting SG, who's going to be pretty darn good himself.

We could let Ish go, move Reggie to reserve PG and let him go wild off the bench.  Reggie could have free reign to dribble around to his hearts content on the 2nd unit.  And we could develop Mykhailiuk as our reserve PG of the future when Reggie finally leaves, and Svi could possibly develop into an eventual starting PG in several years, if all goes well.

Come on Mr. Gores...pony up for Brogdon.

Now this is an outstanding idea Murph. Brogdon is one of the players that I really like who is under the radar. However, being that the Bucks have the team that might win the NBA Championship, other teams might be in the hunt to sign him. The Pistons sure need this guy. I hope management agrees.

I read your rating of Piston players for this season. As you know I am not happy with the overall effect of Andre Drummond. You think otherwise and I respect that. What AD needs to prove to me is that he can play basketball with a high IQ. He needs to show that when he is matched up with some of the best centers in the NBA he can hold his own. However, that hasn't happened this season. AD seems to lose his confidence maybe because the top centers are superior players relating to the mental game. Also, the top centers have a more highly developed offensive and offer more energy and smarts on defense. AD was clearly a better all around player this season. He plays differently with more confidence against rookies and teams that have no real center. Next season, AD needs to make the jump to become a equal with those players who always put him on the bench with foul trouble or score at will in the paint against him. But as for the Pistons, AD is one of the better players for sure on this team. The problem is that the guards are not top tier guards. That is why Bruce Brown became a starter. He is not starter material at this point in time when thinking of other teams that made the playoffs.

It is interesting to read how the Pistons will play the Bucks. That is actually pretty funny. The Pistons have nobody who can defend Middleton or perhaps every starter on this Bucks team. It will take some magic and creativity to avoid 20 point blowouts for every game. The problem is that the Bucks have a high energy intense style of play. They are extremely athletic. This is the direction the Pistons need to go as they change their roster makeup.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Maker

Post  Murph Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:09 am

Let's see what Maker can do to contain the Greek Freak.  Maker is the only Piston even remotely big enough, long enough, athletic enough and healthy enough to have any chance of containing Antetokounmpo.  

And he has the added bonus of having guarded Giannis in practice for years.

Please step up to the plate and show us what you can do, Thon.  This is your time.  Are you up to the challenge?

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Brogdon

Post  Murph Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am

Keep your eye on Malcom Brogdon in this playoff series, and decide if he could be our starting PG next year.

Brogdon is a restricted free agent at the end of the season, but the Bucks might have difficulty affording him.  The Bucks will be about $32 million under the luxury cap going into the off season, but they have to resign All Star Kris Middleton first, and they probably want to bring back Brook Lopez for relatively cheap.  Middleton could command a max contract, but more realistically, he will probably sign for something like 5 years at $28 million per.  Lopez could sign for 3 years at $8 million per.  That would leave no money to resign Brogdon.

The Pistons should pull out all stops to sign Brogdon.  They should make an offer that is so painful for the Bucks to match, that the Bucks will be forced to let him walk away.  The Pistons should offer Brogdon $18 or $20 million per year for 5 years.

If we signed Brogdon, Gores would probably have to pay the luxury tax for 1 year, but come on...  The man has made $900 freaking million on his bargain basement purchase of the Pistons.  He can afford to pay a luxury tax for 1 measly year, until the contracts of Jackson, Leuer, Galloway and Josh Smith finally expire.

Brogdon is that big PG we need.  He will be 27 next year, and he's 6'5.  He shoots lights out.  He passes well.  And he's a capable defender with a high basketball IQ.

Furthermore, stealing Brogdon would not only strengthen the Pistons, it would weaken the Bucks, who are our direct competition in the East.  The Bucks would probably move on to Donte DeVincenzo as their starting SG, who's going to be pretty darn good himself.

We could let Ish go, move Reggie to reserve PG and let him go wild off the bench.  Reggie could have free reign to dribble around to his hearts content on the 2nd unit.  And we could develop Mykhailiuk as our reserve PG of the future when Reggie finally leaves, and Svi could possibly develop into an eventual starting PG in several years, if all goes well.

Come on Mr. Gores...pony up for Brogdon.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty What we'll do, but probably shouldn't do in the playoffs...

Post  Oracle Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 am

FORUM - Page 23 Untitl41

This is the lineup we started against the Knicks! This lineup features 2 non-scoring threats in Brown & Maker, and one dependent scorer in Drummond.

That's enough offensive power to take out a tanking team that can't wait to go on vacation, but it looks like a prescription for a blowout against almost anybody decent, and the Bucks are well beyond decent.

I know Casey won't do it, but my first move would be to take Brown out of the starting lineup, and I say this feeling bad because he's earned the playoff start, but IMO, starting GR3 at SF gives us a little more size and experience and more importantly a guy they at least have to pay attention to on offense.

I thought about Luke, but starting him cripples the 2nd unit too much, and we need that unit to save us, as they'll have a better chance against their counterparts that the starting unit does against their starters.

Having said that, I'm open to alternative suggestions...
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Phillip is the Grand Prize Winner

Post  Oracle Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:27 am

Yes Phillip, you're the grand prize winner, and here are your winnings!!!
1. Bragging rights for one year
2. The Nostradamus award for excellence
3. A boat ride on Lake Erie where you catch and eat fish guaranteed NOT to make you glow
4. Finally a trip to Disney Land for 5 people of your choice and a meeting with Magic Johnson(which he'll promptly quit on)

Of course we give you the high privilege of paying for everything associated with these winnings yourself, and our lasting respect lol lol lol

2018-2019 Regular Season
MemberWins
DX49
Murph47
Oracle46
Stones45
Lemonpen45
Sparma44
BallinD43
Phil1980boy41
Cool Breeze39
Wise39
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty I was correct about Pistons record. So what do I win Oracle?

Post  Phil-Good Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:15 am

As usual, I was 1000% correct Oracle. The Pistons went 41 and 41. So what do I win? lol lol

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty SVG Speaks...

Post  Oracle Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 am

FORUM - Page 23 Untitl40
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty The Pistons will most likely be completely humiliated by the Bucks but what will be interesting will be what kind of team we will have next season

Post  cool breeze Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Casey is preparing fans now for what is to come in the first two games. Most likely they will both be complete blow outs. This Bucks team is for real. They could win the championship. Maybe Blake will give it a try on game 3 but he has a knee injury so management should hold him back being they have too much invested.

First off it is sweet to read posts showing support for the Pistons and what they have accomplished. My previous post was negative because of the bad taste in my mouth when remember the way this team performed during that 4 game losing streak. They didn't beat any respectable team to get into the playoffs but they did somehow win that Memphis game after stinking it up in the first half. All said the Pistons did play well during certain times in this long seasons. We all agree that the team is flawed having few players who embrace playing strong defense. I just hope something can be created with what the coach has to work with that can prevent easy layups against the Bucks.

More important what will the Pistons become next season. We must use caution here because the Detroit Pistons didn't improve the year after their last appearance in the playoffs. We have some of those players still under contract who performed during that time period. They didn't improve and instead became easy prey for most NBA teams for a long time. Management must remember this and learn from it. The Pistons must improve their talent and energy. They must acquire players who have high basketball IQ and are used to winning games and have been a big part of teams that have won in the past. As Sparma once said, do we have "highlight" type players? I still wonder how many roster players fit that mold. As for the playoffs, I am not so happy that the Pistons have to play the Bucks. That will be suicide. But they played themselves into the 8th seed so outsiders might just think this matchup will be the Bucks vs the Washington Generals. After all the NBA is show business. But a good ass kicking might motivate everyone who comes back next season to play a little harder and maybe work even harder over the summer to improve. Go Pistons!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Casey/ Murph

Post  Sparma Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Good posts today. Thanks for posting a set of grades with explanations so quickly, Murph.

I'd give Blake a straight A, but that's a quibble.

Murph writes: "Dwaine Casey: B+
Clearly the best coach we've had since Flip Saunders. He's the dignified, level headed face of the franchise. A real players coach who seems to get the most out of his talent. Sometimes his rotations are head scratchers. scratch Has an unfortunate affinity for smallball, which is a difficult fit in today's NBA."

I think that's quite a fair, accurate, description. I remember when Luke was pulled quickly (for a defensive lapse), and needed to be held back from Casey. I think Casey made a mistake by pulling Luke, so how could that incident illustrate something positive about Casey? After the game, he said something about how it makes sense for someone to be angry in such a situation. In any event, he clarified at once that he wasn't going to hold that outburst against Luke, wasn't going to put him in the doghouse. And Kennard went on to show some good stuff (albeit erratically). Maybe Casey screwed up at first, but he quickly mended things with Luke, showing finesse in personal relations. Strategically, I'd like to see some more fitting (in game) adjustments, but he's a breath of fresh air compared to SVG, who regularly seemed on the verge of erupting.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty A New Direction

Post  BallinD Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Good post Oracle,

If Charlotte and even Memphis (first half) were our bottom, we’re climbing up at a good time. Time will tell, but all-in-all, we’re in a better place to move forward and evaluate how we get there. Jettison dead weight and all that. Scouting, our other longtime Achilles heal, will be paramount. 15th pick ain’t all bad, there’s a rough diamond out there we can snag.

Vince Ellis even wrote today that a good showing could entice Gores to dip into luxury tax dollars and get us a useful piece.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Is it time to celebrate if you are a Pistons fan???

Post  Oracle Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Absolutely, and especially if what you say is true!

The fact that when Blake went out we struggled and we were exposed is good news not bad! Exposure cuts both ways, it exposes both weakness and strength. The players that need replacing became clearly visible and the players that stepped up were also visible, so management now knows what to do. 

These are exactly the times that organizations need to go through to make the proper adjustments to get to the top. EVERY team you praise as good today has gone through trying times to get there, and you know and remember how bad they used to be.

Every journey starts with the first step...
cool breeze wrote:The Pistons played their way out of the 7th seed. They were down by 20 at the half against Memphis who had 5 of their best players out of that game. Then they beat an amazingly weak NY team last night to make the playoffs. The owner has invested heavily with Blake Griffin who had a long history of injuries. It was Blake who did get the Pistons away from the cream puff style they had played for two straight seasons(This is GREAT). But making the playoffs the way they did it is not a good thing. Those 4 loses exposed the real truth about the Pistons. They do not have top players(If you finish 6-8th, by definition you don't have top players up and down your lineup). The Eastern Conference was extremely weak this season(Not entirely true, the two best teams by record are in the east, however, the west is by far the more competitive conference). What should have happened for the good of the NBA was to select some Western Conference teams to play in the playoffs instead of the Pistons, Nets, and Orlando(Change the rules for short term or personal reasons? I don't think so, that's a bad idea). Who is going to watch the Pistons play the Bucks except Bucks fans who can relax for the first round? Things are not so rosy in Piston Land. We have some younger players who are fun to watch. The Pistons will not draft in a high position. That is what they need to do. Maybe there will be a big trade after the Playoffs. I will hope for that. 
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Is it time to celebrate if you are a Pistons fan???

Post  cool breeze Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:50 pm

The Pistons played their way out of the 7th seed. They were down by 20 at the half against Memphis who had 5 of their best players out of that game. Then they beat an amazingly weak NY team last night to make the playoffs. The owner has invested heavily with Blake Griffin who had a long history of injuries. It was Blake who did get the Pistons away from the cream puff style they had played for two straight seasons. But making the playoffs the way they did it is not a good thing. Those 4 loses exposed the real truth about the Pistons. They do not have top players. The Eastern Conference was extremely weak this season. What should have happened for the good of the NBA was to select some Western Conference teams to play in the playoffs instead of the Pistons, Nets, and Orlando. Who is going to watch the Pistons play the Bucks except Bucks fans who can relax for the first round? Things are not so rosy in Piston Land. We have some younger players who are fun to watch. The Pistons will not draft in a high position. That is what they need to do. Maybe there will be a big trade after the Playoffs. I will hope for that.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Playoffs

Post  Murph Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am

Oracle wrote:Other than facing the team with the best record in basketball, this is a big win for the Pistons.

4. Getting to the playoffs is a big win for the organization, the coaching staff, the vets and the youngsters, so even a sweep isn't a bad thing.

5. Winning one game would be a major benefit.

6. Pushing this to six games would actually be a huge win for us, and also help the Bucks focus better.

Whatever happens next, I'm pleased with this season. If not for Blake's injury, this team would have easily snagged the 6th seed, I'm not totally happy about all of the ending, but I am pleased with the level of fight they showed to gut out the Memphis win and absolute crushing of NY without Blake... Go Pistons!!!

Agreed. Making the playoff represents a step in the right direction...something this team can build on in the future.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Regular Season Grades

Post  Murph Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:07 am

Team Grade:  C+
I was certainly expecting more out of the Pistons this year.  Still, they played .500, and had their 2nd best season and made the playoffs for the 3rd time in 10 years, since Flip was fired and Chauncey was traded.  That seems like a lifetime ago.

Dwaine Casey:  B+
Clearly the best coach we've had since Flip Saunders.  He's the dignified, level headed face of the franchise.  A real players coach who seems to get the most out of his talent.  Sometimes his rotations are head scratchers.   scratch  Has an unfortunate affinity for smallball, which is a difficult fit in today's NBA.

Blake Griffin:  A-
The spiritual and intellectual leader of the Pistons, and this year's only All Star.  Did his best to instill mental and physical toughness into a group of Pistons that had a reputation for being soft.  Downgraded slightly because of his end of season knee injury.

Andre Drummond:  A-
Put up All Star numbers, and lead the team down the stretch, when Griffin was hobbled.  Relinquished his leadership roll to Griffin early in the season.  Experimented with ill-advised offensive shots early in the season, but settled into a groove and became the Pistons best player in the 2nd half of the season.

Reggie Jackson:  C+
Had his best season since 15-16 when injuries began to take a toll on his career.  Still not good enough.  Doesn't shoot well enough, isn't a good enough decision maker, and doesn't defend well enough.  Has lost a step of quickness over the years.

Bruce Brown:  C
Had a solid rookie season that he can build on.  Provided outstanding perimeter defense at times.  Desperately needs to develop an outside shot, and gain consistency.  Will be a solid rotation player for years to come.

Wayne Ellington:  C
Good late season pick up.  Provided veteran experience down the stretch.  Good defender,  and a decent outside shooter.  Will probably not be back next season.

Ish Smith:  C+
Provided a real spark off the bench at times.  But the days of the 6'0 PG in the NBA are fading away.  The Pistons need to move toward bigger, more athletic guards.  The Brooklyn Nets backcourt will become the model in the NBA moving forward.

Luke Kennard:  C+
High basketball IQ.  Does everything reasonably well...shooting, passing, ball handling.  Needs to become much more consistent with his perimeter shooting.  He disappeared in many games.  Has the potential to develop into a real weapon, like Kyle Korver or JJ Reddick.

Zaza Pachulia:  C+
A non-nonsense kind of player.  A throwback to a bygone Piston era, where defense and toughness were the trademark.  Would have fit in well with the Bad Boys.  Provided defense consistency and veteran leadership throughout the whole season.  Hopefully, the Pistons will bring him back for one for year.

Thon Maker:  C-
Seems to have all the potential in the world, but can never quite put it all together.  Has an outstanding body, long and lean.  Disappeared down the stretch when Griffin was injured and we needed him most.  Still a project.

Langston Galloway:  D
Poor defender.  He's simply too short to defend modern NBA shooting guards.  His offense in no way makes up for his poor defense.  His shooting is streaky at best.  Shot only 39% from the field.  Can't wait for his contract to expire.

Murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next