Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
lemonpen
FlyDog
Go Stones!
Sebastian
Phil-Good
merc
deusXango
Oracle
WTF
Fennis Dembo
14 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Version 3?

Post  Oracle Sat May 07, 2016 6:04 pm

In software, Version 1 of a product is generally promising enough to entice, but really turns out to be a POS!

Version 2 corrects the flaws in version one, but is un-spectacular.

Version 3 generally turns out to be the most stable and perfected version that people love if they stick with the product.

Jodie Meeks will enter his 3rd season with us, and if I give you a blank sheet of paper, it would accurately summarize his contribution to this organization!

I believe that this 3rd season will be the best and most important for Meeks! He's damn near as fast as KCP, runs the floor like RIP Hamilton did, and on nights can light it up with the best of them!

I really hope this works, because with him backing up KCP, it's really a game changer offensively! Playing them together may require slow motion cameras just to see the action lol.

However, having that option really clears the way for SVG to focus the majority of his dollars on getting a SOLID PF! IMO, if we can get someone like Augustin, and having Dinwiddie on the bench, we would have the backup PG situation sufficiently covered!

Meeks may turn out to be a very important piece for a lot of reasons!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Sat May 07, 2016 2:25 am

@Don - Very good points, and I love it that we have options internally! We have a team that is going to be better simply through the process of natural growth and maturity! I agree that if we can't get high quality 4, I wouldn't mind seeing JJ come back, he's grown a lot and may be ready to be that guy that we need, and his price is right as a fall back position.

Drummond, KCP & Harris are all in a really sweet spot!

Drummond is only 22 years old, nowhere near his prime and he's already a load. I KNOW that he'll get smarter, better, and most of all more confident as he ages. I know this because the Drummond we saw to start the season was a monster in the middle! At 22, it's hard for a big man with his size to maintain that for a full NBA season, but as his body matures, he'll be able to sustain that high level for 82 games and beyond.

Harris is only 23 years old, also nowhere near his prime! he'll get stronger and he's already smart enough, and he's going to be hard as hell to stop!

KCP is also only 23 years old, and while some will disagree, I see all star written all over this kid! He's already one of the better 2 guards defensively, and once his offense catches up, this kid is a KILLER! Blessed with WAY above average speed and quickness, our window to true contention is looking pretty good to this poster!

Then there Stanley Johnson, a bull of a mismatch on both ends of the court, and he has absolutely no clue how good he WILL be. If he works hard, this is a dominant player, and he'll crack the starting lineup, likely after next season, as Morris becomes our 6th man.

@Lemonpen - Don't feel bad, I started liking them once they beat us, and I posted 2 things! That we forced them to figure out how to use Love, and that they were my pick to win it all if Curry doesn't come back, or if he's impaired!

BTW: The Cavs struggled to put us down, but they're killing the Hawks! If we can get some good 3 point shooters and KCP improves his shot from deep, I worry about the Cavs, but I don't fear them in a matchup with our guys!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Who Knew

Post  lemonpen Fri May 06, 2016 8:35 pm

I'm beginning to really enjoy watching the Cavaliers.   Please don't hold it against me.  It took a while, but the Love acquisition is becoming everything they hoped-for.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Fri May 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Oracle wrote:There were a couple of articles on the side talking about us having good money to make deals.

Last year, I would believe that having 20M to cut deals was a lot, but not this year!

The price of everything is going to explode, and what our money will buy may be more Steve Blake's or Tolliver's, and that would be a disaster!

Having said that, we likely have enough money to get one decent player, if you can convince him to come here. Players aren't stupid, and it's not that they don't like the area, it's that they can see the flaws in our team, and it's a gamble to come here with two flawed players at top billing.

Even Boston is suffering this fate. Yeah they made the playoffs two years in a row, but they flamed out in the 1st round both times. They have less star power than we do, with only a 5'8 PG as their top player.

Speaking of Boston, they're likely cutting loose Zeller & Sullinger, and possibly Amir as they chase after Durant with their 60M in cash & multiple 1st round picks! Even with all of that, nobody wants to go to Boston because they have no stars!

So here we sit with maybe 20M to spend and an All Star Center that can't play in the 4th quarter and a PG that can't play defense, so it will be difficult unless you can get someone to believe in the dream!

Fortunately trades haven't been outlawed Smile

Oracle I have read this post more than once and agree on everything you have stated. It is going to be a tough job for management to properly fill the power forward and backup point guard positions.

The most critical position to fill in my opinion is the 4. We need a guy who is big enough and quick enough to make up for the lack of ability of Andre Drummond to play smart defense. Andre has not shown that his mind is completely in the game on defense. He fakes it because he has never become a fundamentally sound basketball player. He could grow in that area during the off season but will he do it for the team? So the guy who occupies the 4 spot has to be multi talented on defense and he must be able to post up and yet be a reasonably sound shooter from distance. I see few if any players in this draft that can fit the role needed. I doubt SVG will get a really good 4 in free agency. Trades require management to give up somebody who has promise so that decision on who goes and who comes must be a no brainer of don't do it. You mentioned Amir Johnson. I would be extremely happy with Amir. Frankly, I would be happy to bring back Jerebco if SVG has no other prospects. He started and played reasonably well in the playoffs. He is a better defender than Tolliver who lacked consistency shooting the long ball which is his only value. But it could be that there will be few options and Tolliver might return. I would use the 2nd round pick on a power forward and hope the Pistons get lucky. I think the game plan of Stan Van Gundy now is to add young players and let them develop in the D League system until they are ready to help instead of giving up on them quickly.

Maybe the first round pick should be a point guard. There are a few gifted players who might be available. However, I am not giving up on Spencer Dinwiddie and I hope SVG plans to keep him around. Dinwiddie is judged unfairly in my opinion. He has size and does stay in front of his man on defense. Spencer is a smart guy and is popular with his teammates. He can grow into something special if given the opportunity. Even if the first round pick is a point guard, I would keep Dinwiddie in the Piston system. The other option when Jackson goes to the bench is to make Stanley Johnson a point forward. He has won a state championship playing the point guard position. He was a great passer during this time period in his life. He had to play the position or his team would have had no chance. Johnson and Drummond could combine well with pick and roll plays if Johnson is able to improve his ball handling skills and shooting touch this summer. That is a toll task for such a young guy but Johnson is old school. He loves this type of work and has the mind of an athlete who strives to get better and better. With Johnson starting the offense, there will be match up issues for opposing teams. If Johnson defends opposing point guards, he and KCP can really do some damage on defense. Maybe this idea won't work out because Johnson is so young but he has the quickness and mindset to make it happen eventually. It would be fun to watch.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Not Being Political, but ...

Post  Sebastian Tue May 03, 2016 9:47 am

The political comics have had it easy, this political season and it is only going to get funnier.

lemonpen wrote:
Oracle wrote:I just hope she's alright...

Her running mate keeps shaking hands like nothing happened.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty What a Man

Post  lemonpen Mon May 02, 2016 6:39 pm

Oracle wrote:I just hope she's alright...

Her running mate keeps shaking hands like nothing happened.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Not picking sides, but this is some funny sh!t!

Post  Oracle Mon May 02, 2016 5:30 pm

I just hope she's alright...

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Lions Draft

Post  Sparma Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:46 am

I like the Lions' draft through 3 rounds, especially the Robinson pick.  I even like the reaching Glasgow pick in that it acknowledges the top order need to build up the two lines.  Mayhew could overdo it with the best player available rhetoric.  I think there's a balance to be struck between BPA and need, something Quinn seems to recognize.  Of course, if you actually consistently hit on the BPA-- something Mayhew didn't do-- that adds credibility to the BPA strategy.  The Lions have got a ways to go, but I'm starting to like their direction as they try to regroup after the huge losses of Suh and Calvin.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Sullinger

Post  FlyDog Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Man, that guy is one fat tub of goo. What a dooshbag. You're an athlete dude.......you mind getting in shape, piggy?
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Double edged sword!

Post  Oracle Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:00 pm

There were a couple of articles on the side talking about us having good money to make deals.

Last year, I would believe that having 20M to cut deals was a lot, but not this year!

The price of everything is going to explode, and what our money will buy may be more Steve Blake's or Tolliver's, and that would be a disaster!

Having said that, we likely have enough money to get one decent player, if you can convince him to come here. Players aren't stupid, and it's not that they don't like the area, it's that they can see the flaws in our team, and it's a gamble to come here with two flawed players at top billing.

Even Boston is suffering this fate. Yeah they made the playoffs two years in a row, but they flamed out in the 1st round both times. They have less star power than we do, with only a 5'8 PG as their top player.

Speaking of Boston, they're likely cutting loose Zeller & Sullinger, and possibly Amir as they chase after Durant with their 60M in cash & multiple 1st round picks! Even with all of that, nobody wants to go to Boston because they have no stars!

So here we sit with maybe 20M to spend and an All Star Center that can't play in the 4th quarter and a PG that can't play defense, so it will be difficult unless you can get someone to believe in the dream!

Fortunately trades haven't been outlawed Smile
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Oracle wrote:
http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/all-fronts-busy-season-ahead-svg-pistons-front-office-coaches-players wrote:Stanley Johnson might not participate in Summer League. The most important thing for Johnson’s development, Van Gundy made clear, was individual skills improvement in shooting, ballhandling and footwork. He’d prefer Johnson stay away from pickup games – specifically mentioning the immensely popular Los Angeles-area Drew League where NBA and college stars participate every summer – because, he said, Johnson’s competitive instincts will take over and he’ll revert to his strengths at the expense of focusing on those areas where he needs to improve.

I actually agree with this reasoning! If Stanley works on his short comings rather than reverting to what he naturally does, IMO, we get a better player. I would only add that he needs to work on finishing around the rim, and maybe drop 5 pounds or so to increase his leaping ability.(SVG puts down hero league basketball: http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2016/04/pistons_stanley_johnson_may_be.html)

More from that article reveals what most of us already know.

Which players are truly the core? SVG says this.

Van Gundy cited three areas where the Pistons can improve without help from the draft, trades or free agency. He ticked off better shooting, better defense and skills development from their core of young players, including Drummond, Johnson, Reggie Jackson, Marcus Morris, Tobias Harris, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Reggie Bullock, Darrun Hilliard and Spencer Dinwiddie. - SVG

Who's likely gone? SVG says...

Van Gundy said he was frank with both Steve Blake and Anthony Tolliver, two pending free agents valued for their experience, character and reliability.
“In a very general sense, I like the idea of having both of them back. I was honest with them – there’s priorities ahead of re-signing them.”

I liked SVG's statement relating to Johnson's participation in the summer league games as well Oracle. Not much is gained in summer league games unless you are a recently drafted rookie or a fringe player.

I would even question why Dinwiddie or Hilliard would want to participate. Both need to work on specific things like shooting the mid range jump shot much like Johnson. Who will work the hardest and the smartest? It would be cool to be a Piston coach now.

It is a big deal for new draftees. I recall the summer when Joe Dumars drafted Rodney White and passed on Joe Johnson All of my friends were saying While will be a bust in the summer league games and that turned out to be true. Then Prince played really well in the summer league. White could not play a lick of defense entering the draft. Michael Jordan really sucker punched Dumars getting in one last blow to the Piston organization by telling Joe that Rodney was a sure thing. Imagine SVG making that mistake. His stall turns over every rock before making decisions on players.

I am sure that SVG and his staff will be watching all the players in the summer league games to see if there are any keepers who might be available. It will be interesting to find out which players will work out for the Pistons before the draft.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Clearing the air...

Post  Oracle Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:56 pm

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/all-fronts-busy-season-ahead-svg-pistons-front-office-coaches-players wrote:Stanley Johnson might not participate in Summer League. The most important thing for Johnson’s development, Van Gundy made clear, was individual skills improvement in shooting, ballhandling and footwork. He’d prefer Johnson stay away from pickup games – specifically mentioning the immensely popular Los Angeles-area Drew League where NBA and college stars participate every summer – because, he said, Johnson’s competitive instincts will take over and he’ll revert to his strengths at the expense of focusing on those areas where he needs to improve.

I actually agree with this reasoning! If Stanley works on his short comings rather than reverting to what he naturally does, IMO, we get a better player. I would only add that he needs to work on finishing around the rim, and maybe drop 5 pounds or so to increase his leaping ability.(SVG puts down hero league basketball: http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2016/04/pistons_stanley_johnson_may_be.html)

More from that article reveals what most of us already know.

Which players are truly the core? SVG says this.

Van Gundy cited three areas where the Pistons can improve without help from the draft, trades or free agency. He ticked off better shooting, better defense and skills development from their core of young players, including Drummond, Johnson, Reggie Jackson, Marcus Morris, Tobias Harris, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Reggie Bullock, Darrun Hilliard and Spencer Dinwiddie. - SVG

Who's likely gone? SVG says...

Van Gundy said he was frank with both Steve Blake and Anthony Tolliver, two pending free agents valued for their experience, character and reliability.
“In a very general sense, I like the idea of having both of them back. I was honest with them – there’s priorities ahead of re-signing them.”
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty DX

Post  Oracle Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:20 pm

deusXango wrote:Allow me to get some things off my chest before putting my 2 cents worth in about next seasons playoff hopes.

Meeks: He made zero contributions to the teams effort to make the playoffs this year (much like last year) so I see no sane reason to include him in our plans going forward, I mean we're not talking mega-star, super star, or even NBA star!!! I agree, he's here so let's use him if we can't move him, but right now, I see no future for him here.

Tolliver: "The Occasional Man." I've seen his act and am consistently unimpressed. He's a great guy but, as a PF he sucks; bye, bye. We can and need to do better

Blake: I don't understand SVG's fascination with "the walking dead" but, this was a waste of clock; watch TWD on t.v., not on the court! The corpse that is Steve Blake needs to be buried

Dinwiddie: He didn't help but, he didn't hurt us either. Let him have his last year to show us something or flop. Dinwiddie deserves to be given a chance to deliver while on his rookie contract, but the prognosis isn't good

Now that I've identified what can be considered a waste of roster space, let me speak on some things that are sure to create some doubt about my sanity; Hilliard has shown more upside in his rookie year than Dinwiddie has in his short career in Detroit. I'd be all for seeing what Hilliard can do as our backup PG going forward. Bullock is the type of player that every contending team has in their camp; have we come so far that we can let a Reggie Bullock go and in favor of whom? IMO, Hilliard has a LOT of potential, near Middleton type capability, he needs PT to deliver it. Bullock is a guy that can lay on the bench for days and come off of it and hit big shots. He also plays above average defense.. keep him!

The off-season work that badly needs to be done is get Drummond a hypnotist, life coach, or whatever is necessary to clear his head of whatever is preventing him from making his FT's and playing consistently from game-to-game. KCP will continue to improve his game; I saw signs of a major turn around in his game during the playoffs. Johnson needs to work on his athletic agility more than anything else; I mean damn! How many simple layups did he flat out blow this year? How many breakaway dunks did he make this year? He's got the tools but, if he's to become the starting SF that many are clamoring for, he's got to become a more effective finisher at the rim. RJ has got to improve on his decision making, plain and simple, and I don't know if watching film will fix that; he needs a respected HOF voice in his ear to explain the foolishness of "hero ball" when he has a great team going to war with him....an astute floor general is the true hero! Totally agree

A forum genius suggested acquiring Frank "the Tank" Kaminsky as our PF and I'm all for it! I think we need a promising PF, that has some skills you can integrate with the team we have, more than a backup PG. I also think that the key to our growing success is for SVG to get honest within himself and realize that the game has passed him by; this is a different NBA today than the one he last coached in and it's showing. President Van Gundy needs to hire a young, hungry, innovative coach to replace coach SVG. We don't need a massive roster turnover as much as a fresh voice on the bench!   I have seen him play, and he's been playing like a real pro at times, a rookie at other times, but it's clear that he's been better than Stanley & Winslow this year. I don't see Jordan letting him go, but if he did, I'd take him in a heart beat.

DX, excellent post!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Oracle wrote:
Don wrote:There are no guarantees that our Pistons can even make the playoffs next year.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw all of these articles about going deep next year, and finals talk!

Reggie needs to stay off the drugs! There were at least 3 playoff teams from last year that didn't even make it this year, the Bulls, the Bucks, and the Wizards, stuff happens in this league, and there are no guarantees until you get a high level team.

We're still wildly inconsistent, mostly because we play good defense once in about every 4 games. We've got a lot of work to do.

Wise keeps mentioning this, and at first I ignored him, but it's pretty clear that they take a little success and make too much out of it. Stay humble is my motto, it serves well in the NBA expectations game, where so many fall flat because they get ahead of themselves.

The potential is there, but they're going to have to work for it!

Consider the following to remove any doubt that if the abilities of the current players relating to defense does not improve and no miracle stud player is added. This season, our Piston team put on a great push to make the playoffs late in the season. Washington had a really bad last two weeks of the season. Great job players!

With that said, I do not believe that these piston players could have won any series if they had been matched up with the 7 teams ahead of the 8th spot nor could they have beaten Washington in a 7 game series. This nonsense that Detroit has the best chance to improve is bogus. We need better players to fill out the rotation. Stan Van Gundy knows that he has too many key players who are not fundamentally sound players on either end of the floor. Charlotte has the team of the future in the Eastern conference. They have players who really compete on defense yet they have solid offensive skill players. Those guys are going to get a lot better in coming years.

Who can tell how good Andre Drummond will ever become? He is not a fundamentally sound player who really loves playing defense. He would always be in foul trouble in a series against Charlotte. Boston is another team that is just so much smarter as a team then the Pistons. They play with amazing energy every night. And now they have a lot of bargaining chips with all those draft picks available in this coming draft. Although our Pistons played Cleveland well enough to keep some of the games close, it is fools gold to believe that our Pistons could have won any games against any of the teams who made the playoffs. The playoffs are different. Every team ahead of Detroit including Washington who didn't make the playoffs, could easily create a game plan that would be successful. I think the players or at least the coaching staff know this to be true. Piston players have good character and hopefully know that they have to work harder then they have ever worked this summer to have any chance at all of making the playoffs next year.

The team needs a new power forward who is capable of playing exceptional defense to make up for Andre Drummond's lack of interest in that area of playing basketball. If Van Gundy comes back with a Tolliver type player, we will know he is not serious about the long term future of the Detroit Pistons. Will Morris be the player included in a trade? Morris is a player who was really solid throughout the year and a guy that other teams would be interested in adding. I like the talent and youth of Harris. He is a player that is key to future Piston success.

It is clear that there is new energy among the posters on this forum. I love reading every post. Go Pistons!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty A Different May, Indeed ...

Post  Sebastian Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Pistons Pals: WE have to all admit that there is a totally different perspective and sense of momentum and direction, this forthcoming May (2016) than it has been during the previous six months of May (2009-2015).

WE are not just hoping to get the #7 Pick in the Lottery. No, WE see OUR personnel improving, but like all of you have noted this is not the time to get comfortable and fat. No, this is the time to get better!

DX's idea of playing Hilliard at the back-up PG position is interesting. SVG would have to be committed to developing Hilliard as the back-up PG. He would need the dedicated minutes. It would be a smart way to get Hilliard minutes on the floor, though.

Personally, I wold like to see if GM Stan can go get B. Jennings back. Offer him $10 -$12 million for three years. He could pay him with the $6.54 million that F@ckin' Jodie Meeks is making next season and the $2.5 million team option that is essentially a cap hold held by the Pistons (Joel Anthony).  GM Stan should be able to pawn F@ckin' Jodie Meeks final year of his contract to a team that needs shooting (i.e. Grizzlies, Nets, Pelicans).

Dinwiddie should not be retained. He is wearing Stanley's new number eight, too. So, either Dinwiddie goes or he has to get a new number. But, he will never be a good player for the Pistons. The number 9 should be Reggie's new jersey number.

I think it was Ballin'D, sorry if I am wrong, that said GM Stan should hire a new head coach. I kind of agree with this idea, but wouldn't then GM Stan have to come off of some of his coach's salary and essentially paying the new hiree from his salary.

But, if there was a coaching change, I would like for the Pistons to hire Sam Cassell. He would be an excellent Head Coach particularly with OUR roster. Cassell would also have positive effect on Reggie, tutoring his azz to becoming a starting PG in this League and come to think of it he (Cassell) could assist Hilliard (DX's idea) at becoming an effective backup PG.

Here is a Trade Proposal that I would like GM Stan to seriously consider: OUR #16 Pick and Dinwiddie for Noah Vonleh.

Last edited by Sebastian on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty What's Good For The Goose......

Post  FlyDog Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am

I am so sick of Miami and Wade. Seriously? THEY want to complain about flopping? Wade's career was built on it. He got what he deserved last night. Hammered on the potential game tying layup. NO CALL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Fresh Ideas from "One Man's Opinion"

Post  BallinD Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:00 am

DX said: let me speak on some things that are sure to create some doubt about my sanity; Hilliard has shown more upside in his rookie year than Dinwiddie has in his short career in Detroit. I'd be all for seeing what Hilliard can do as our backup PG going forward. Bullock is the type of player that every contending team has in their camp; have we come so far that we can let a Reggie Bullock go and in favor of whom?

Hilliard: Not a bad idea at all.  I actually like it more and more every time I turn it around in my head.  Worth a shot, definitely.  High bb IQ, young, long, good enough shooter and finisher,  he has the potential...and poise for a youngun.

Bullock is young, long, resilient, can shoot and make plays, he is a keeper.

More than agree on SJ's needs and Dre's failings.  

BTW, I know, nobody likes Meeks, but I think he could help us.  I acknowledge that giving him minutes eats into Bullock's development time, and he is not a defender... so I think he is a piece that bundled with a pick could get us something young, strong, long and fearless.

Kaminsky has not impressed, but I have honestly not seen him play much.

SVG is an old school coach, not disagreeing at all.  I'd like to see what he can do next year with a full complement of players, 1-5; see us run some offense thru Tobias, let him maybe run some PnR with Dre; run more plays for KCP; and stay in RJ's azz untill he learns to pass before the 20 second mark of the shot clock...pass the ball early, and it will come back to you.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty One mans opinion

Post  deusXango Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 am

Allow me to get some things off my chest before putting my 2 cents worth in about next seasons playoff hopes.

Meeks: He made zero contributions to the teams effort to make the playoffs this year (much like last year) so I see no sane reason to include him in our plans going forward, I mean we're not talking mega-star, super star, or even NBA star!!!

Tolliver: "The Occasional Man." I've seen his act and am consistently unimpressed. He's a great guy but, as a PF he sucks; bye, bye.

Blake: I don't understand SVG's fascination with "the walking dead" but, this was a waste of clock; watch TWD on t.v., not on the court!

Dinwiddie: He didn't help but, he didn't hurt us either. Let him have his last year to show us something or flop.

Now that I've identified what can be considered a waste of roster space, let me speak on some things that are sure to create some doubt about my sanity; Hilliard has shown more upside in his rookie year than Dinwiddie has in his short career in Detroit. I'd be all for seeing what Hilliard can do as our backup PG going forward. Bullock is the type of player that every contending team has in their camp; have we come so far that we can let a Reggie Bullock go and in favor of whom?

The off-season work that badly needs to be done is get Drummond a hypnotist, life coach, or whatever is necessary to clear his head of whatever is preventing him from making his FT's and playing consistently from game-to-game. KCP will continue to improve his game; I saw signs of a major turn around in his game during the playoffs. Johnson needs to work on his athletic agility more than anything else; I mean damn! How many simple layups did he flat out blow this year? How many breakaway dunks did he make this year? He's got the tools but, if he's to become the starting SF that many are clamoring for, he's got to become a more effective finisher at the rim. RJ has got to improve on his decision making, plain and simple, and I don't know if watching film will fix that; he needs a respected HOF voice in his ear to explain the foolishness of "hero ball" when he has a great team going to war with him....an astute floor general is the true hero!

A forum genius suggested acquiring Frank "the Tank" Kaminsky as our PF and I'm all for it! I think we need a promising PF, that has some skills you can integrate with the team we have, more than a backup PG. I also think that the key to our growing success is for SVG to get honest within himself and realize that the game has passed him by; this is a different NBA today than the one he last coached in and it's showing. President Van Gundy needs to hire a young, hungry, innovative coach to replace coach SVG. We don't need a massive roster turnover as much as a fresh voice on the bench!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty B Jennings

Post  BallinD Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:06 am

(Meant Jan 2015 style). Playing at all NBA level.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Backup Point

Post  BallinD Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11 pm

IMHO should definitely be someone that can:

1. Got something to prove, chip on his shoulder. "Chippy."
2. Move the ball better than Reggie, for change of pace, not another "Hero! Baller"
3. Aged to grow with the core, or even a bit older.
4. Super Important...playoff experience; Lin, Delly, BJennings.
5. MCW...can't shoot, but he is young and long and knows how to pass. (rumor is Bucks ready to deal him.)

No to BJennings unless he is really ready to go, Jan. 2016 style, but I prefer Delly, plays hard on both sides of the ball, slippery. Lin is super slippery, good size, passer and playmaker and goes to the hole hard. So so D, (but he is a backup going vs backups) and he plays hard.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Trade the Pick

Post  WTF Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:21 pm

BallinD wrote:So, Forum, I have a question; if we trade the pick, who do we package with it?

Tolliver?

Harris?

Dinwidde?

Meeks?

Or do we keep it?

I don't think trading the pick is really important in the big scheme of things. Something tells me a surprise free agent signing is going to happen and that a trade or 2 will be done simply to clear cap space for it to happen. I don't know the who what and when but I can feel it.

But really what are we expecting to get in return with offering our pick and these players. I have to agree with cool breeze Harris is likely the most fundamentally sound player we have and I can see him possibly being our best player next season.

All I can say don't get caught off guard one of these three from the starting unit is here next season (Drummond , KCP or Jackson) I can see AA opting out and signing with Detroit to back up SJ at the SG position.

just saying!!!!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Don

Post  Oracle Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Don wrote:There are no guarantees that our Pistons can even make the playoffs next year.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw all of these articles about going deep next year, and finals talk!

Reggie needs to stay off the drugs! There were at least 3 playoff teams from last year that didn't even make it this year, the Bulls, the Bucks, and the Wizards, stuff happens in this league, and there are no guarantees until you get a high level team.

We're still wildly inconsistent, mostly because we play good defense once in about every 4 games. We've got a lot of work to do.

Wise keeps mentioning this, and at first I ignored him, but it's pretty clear that they take a little success and make too much out of it. Stay humble is my motto, it serves well in the NBA expectations game, where so many fall flat because they get ahead of themselves.

The potential is there, but they're going to have to work for it!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:31 pm

BallinD wrote:So, Forum, I have a question; if we trade the pick, who do we package with it?

Tolliver?

Harris?

Dinwidde?

Meeks?

Or do we keep it?

This is an interesting question.

FIRST ROUND PICK: I challenge the idea of trading our first round pick because this draft is very weak so if we trade the pick expectations will need to be real low on who we can bring in to fill a position.

TOLLIVER: Tolliver cannot be traded unless I am missing something. Besides Tolliver has very little value to any other team based on the fact that he cannot defend power forwards very well.

HARRIS: Are you kidding relating to including Harris in any trade??? I think Harris is our best player. He has the least flaws of any other player on this team.

DINWIDDIE: I see that some are also interesting in including Dinwiddie in a potential trade. I don't get it. Dinwiddie was a 2nd round pick because of his ACL injury. This season he has been injured a lot. So what team will get excited about the prospect of acquiring Dinwiddie? I believe it would be stupid to send Spencer packing. I think he can play if he can get lucky relating to his health and gain more confidence in his ability to play point guard. We should Keep him and let him develop. And I think he can do that.

MEEKS: Can Van Gundy sell Meeks to another team with his history since arriving in Detroit and considering his contract? If SVG can do it then praise the Lord.

The best strategy for adding new talent would be to make an incredible selection in the draft. We need to be smart and extremely lucky. I would go after a college player who has spent more than one season in college and has been a key player on his team.

We have a lot of players who have big flaws. They need to get their asses in gear and remove their flaws.

REGGIE JACKSON: I read where Reggie Jackson said he needed to spend most of his time studying game film. He mentioned this in reference to improving his offensive game. This comment was disturbing knowing how so many teams and especially Cleveland in the playoffs targeted Reggie Jackson exposing his inability to play even average defense. Reggie needs to get on a better diet and get stronger and in better shape for the next season. And he needs to look at game film showing how pathetic he played defense. Anyone can improve on defense if they have the will power and conditioning necessary to improve. Reggie has the quick feet and the long arms.

ANDRE DRUMMOND: This guy has the most flaws of any player on the team yet he has the most potential of any other player in the league. But there have been many players just like Drummond who failed to reach their potential because their mind prevented them from improving. Andre looks great when luck is on his side. The ball is bouncing the right way, he he excels. But one little setback and Drummond turns into his ugly self. He defeats himself and his team when the free throws don't fall or the jump hook falls off the rim. Times like that shows opposing teams he is an easy mark. Who can be the most imposing player on defense for the Pistons? ANDRE DRUMMOND is that guy but he is not interested in that role. Therefore, unless he changes, his teams will always be losers. Andre's teammates must get on his ass before training camp. He will be busy this summer. Will he be too busy to spend the time on conditioning and learning the mental part of playing defense and free throw shooting? And for God's sake, when will Andre use the proper technique relating where his hands need to be on the basketball when he shoots free throws? If the coaches are teaching that nonsense, then they need to be fired. I have never seen any player in my life who has held the basketball before the release like Andre Drummond. Get the off hand off the ball on release and get the off hand towards the back of the ball and not on the side of the ball. Piston fans go outside with your basketball and shoot some free throws like Andre shoots them and see if you can make one damn free throw. I recently tried it and failed. And the thought of Andre going through this entire season practicing and shooting like that in games, would be laughable if you loved watching the Pistons lose games. Stand three feet from the basket and hold the basketball like Andre and see if you can make 4 out of 10 shots. How damn stupid can you be to stick with something that will never work for you????

STANLEY JOHNSON: Our rookie can't just show up in the summer leagues and think that will be enough even if he dominates. Stanley needs to have a dedicated coach get him on the best diet and conditioning program available. He needs a coach to help him get a better touch on the basketball when he releases his shot. Johnson is able to create his own shot but he needs to show that he can make shots at a higher rate next season. That will require 100s of hours of shooting the basketball every day with the supervision of a coach.

HARRIS: Harris needs to prove that he is ready to become an All Star player in the NBA. Harris has the least amount of flaws in his game. He is fundamentally sound on both offense and defense. More plays need to be added for him on offense next year. I know this guy will work his butt off for sure.

KCP: Pope needs to continue with his conditioning in the off season like he has done in previous summers. And he needs to work on his mid range jump shot because his basic shot is one of beauty and for sure he can become a more consistent shooter in the first half of games next year. Next year is a huge season for Mr. Pope.

SVG: Our coach and President needs to become a better coach and also find better players to fill out the rotation. We need a outstanding two way power forward who can post up and shoot the 3 well. If he cannot get that player in a trade or through free agency, then he needs to make a miracle pick in the draft. And he needs to add a back up point guard if Dinwiddie cannot fill that role next year. I think adding a combo guard who is bigger and can defend really well will kick this team into another gear.

There are no guarantees that our Pistons can even make the playoffs next year. I think Washington has the better players now. So if our players are cocky this summer, they will get their asses kicked right out of the playoffs and SVG will be back to square one.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Article: Stan Van Gundy’s offseason has to start with fixing Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson

Post  Oracle Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:33 pm

We have a serious fundamental issue to confront going forward. We all know it exists, but until it was framed the way this guys did, I was actually blowing it off... but no more!

This is absolutely fundamental to our offense EVER working!

"By the end of the season, and throughout the Cleveland series, Van Gundy simply pulled Drummond as soon as teams began to foul him. Even at the end of games, when off-the-ball fouls are no longer effective, Drummond stayed on the bench.

“There’s nothing you can do with him,” Van Gundy said. “Our offense is built around the high pick-and-roll, but as soon as he sets a screen, they’re going to foul him. So we can’t run our offense, and if we just post him up, they foul him when he gets the ball. You can’t win playing for zero points a possession.”

That’s why the oft-discussed rule change to eliminate the off-the-ball strategy isn’t a panacea for the Pistons — they’re about to give Drummond a max contract and they’re paying Reggie Jackson $16 million a year to run that high pick-and-roll, surrounded by three-point shooters. If they can’t do that, Van Gundy’s entire scheme dissolves." - http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-east/detroit-pistons/stan-van-gundys-offseason-has-to-start-with-fixing-drummond-and-jackson/

The short answer is that we're screwed if we can't fix BOTH Drummond and Jackson!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Oracle Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:24 pm

So much depends on who we get in return, but off the top of my head, I'd say package Meeks & Dinwiddie plus the pick for a PF or solid backup PG(BTW, Toliver is an unrestricted FA, we can't package him)!

If a PG, I would prefer a Eric Snow type, can run a team and defends well, scoring optional.

Tolliver?

Harris?

Dinwidde?

Meeks?

Or do we keep it?
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down