Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
merc
Sissy1946
FlyDog
Phil-Good
WTF
Sebastian
cool breeze
lemonpen
Go Stones!
deusXango
14 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  merc Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:56 pm

deusXango wrote:
merc wrote:DX, We're playing with a new deck of cards... stuckey already has great trade value that he hasn't had in the past... There is reason to play him a reasonable amount of PT... if he looks healthy and he shows that he can contribute then there is something decent coming back (potentially a late 1st and a useful vet)...
Expecting KCP to start and get major minutes right away will likely lead to disappointment.
Maybe we should start the whine fest early this year clown 
Merc, in this new deck of cards, isn't Stuckey a part of the old hand that's been played? Hasn't his trade value been established yet? Looking at what Joe did with Prince, Daye, and Knight, is it far fetched to think that something could/should have been done with Stuckey by now, if he had any real value?

I didn't mention KCP, but since you brought him up, is 25 minutes a night for the first half of the season "major minutes?" At this point, how can he be projected to be a disappointment as a starter; he was a lottery pick for a team coming off a 29 win season after all. If this is indeed a new deck (meaning a new day for the Pistons) why are we going to do business the same old way? IMHO Caldwell-Pope is the prototypical SG, and the ONLY one on this team right now; to start anyone else is to play someone who is either inferior, or being played out of position. By the way, I loved that "whine fest" line...priceless!! Real talk; the sooner KCP and Jennings start playing together in our backcourt, the better off this team will be, in the long run.
DX, No knock on KCP... just stating that it's not likely for him to step right into starter type minutes.
Stuckey has run his course for sure... at the same time they're going to try to squeeze out a fair trade... if not we'll use his cap space.... hoping for a great year from RS... but not enough to fall for another long term deal.

Last edited by merc on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty My boy, Stuckey!

Post  Sebastian Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:12 pm

DX wrote: "... only the blind hero worshiper or out-right foolish can call Rodney Stuckey one of the most talented players on this Pistons team."

Yo, DX, cool breeze, Don, Wise, merc, FlyDog, let's see did I leave anyone out, you can put me down as "out-right" foolish, because Stuckey is easily the 4th best player on OUR roster; and 4th best is right where WE need for him to be.

Trust me fellas, WE will all be pleased with the play of Rodney Stuckey from the season tipoff, through the All-Star break. And, none of my fellow Piston Pals, will want to move Stuckey for a late first round pick, come the Trade Deadline.

If not, I will eat my laptop. Joe 
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Honestly now

Post  deusXango Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 pm

merc wrote:DX, We're playing with a new deck of cards... stuckey already has great trade value that he hasn't had in the past... There is reason to play him a reasonable amount of PT... if he looks healthy and he shows that he can contribute then there is something decent coming back (potentially a late 1st and a useful vet)...
Expecting KCP to start and get major minutes right away will likely lead to disappointment.
Merc, in this new deck of cards, isn't Stuckey a part of the old hand that's been played? Hasn't his trade value been established yet? Looking at what Joe did with Prince, Daye, and Knight, is it far fetched to think that something could/should have been done with Stuckey by now, if he had any real value?

I didn't mention KCP, but since you brought him up, is 25 minutes a night for the first half of the season "major minutes?" At this point, how can he be projected to be a disappointment as a starter; he was a lottery pick for a team coming off a 29 win season after all. If this is indeed a new deck (meaning a new day for the Pistons) why are we going to do business the same old way? IMHO Caldwell-Pope is the prototypical SG, and the ONLY one on this team right now; to start anyone else is to play someone who is either inferior, or being played out of position. By the way, I loved that "whine fest" line...priceless!! Real talk; the sooner KCP and Jennings start playing together in our backcourt, the better off this team will be, in the long run.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:18 pm

DX, We're playing with a new deck of cards... stuckey already has great trade value that he hasn't had in the past... There is reason to play him a reasonable amount of PT... if he looks healthy and he shows that he can contribute then there is something decent coming back (potentially a late 1st and a useful vet)...
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Coming off a virus, I find that Don's been holding it down; BRAVO!!

Post  deusXango Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 pm

cool breeze wrote:How can anyone say that Rodney Stuckey is one of the most talented players on this Piston team? That is what one writer said in the Free Press. How does he know? What has Stuckey done to merit that kind of statement. When Stuckey was drafted it might be OK to say he has potential because he is athletic. But Stuckey has been playing in the NBA for a long time now and he has never been a consistent quality player like many of the other NBA players with his same experience. Every summer we read this stuff about Rodney. WHY? Is this stuff placed in the papers by Stuckey's agent? Is his agent paying off the Detroit writers? Somehow Stuckey has been able to survive on the theory that he is a fantastic talent but hasn't had good luck in his coaches noticing his talent. The writers seem to see his talent but his coaches haven't and Stuckey has been on the bench a lot. Curry, Kuester, and Stuckey's recently departed coaching staff all were at fault for delaying Stuckey's selection to the All Star game. All those coaches had their jobs on the line but still didn't trust Stuckey in games. Maybe they lost their jobs because Joe was mad that they didn't see what Joe saw in Stuckey. Is that it Joe???Then answer this question please. WHY IN HELL WERE STUCKEY'S TEAMMATES HAPPY WHEN THE VARIOUS COACHES SENT RODNEY TO THE BENCH? THAT IS RIGHT PISTON FANS. PISTON PLAYERS DIDN'T IIKE PLAYING WITH STUCKEY AND WERE ON THE SAME PAGE AS THE COACHING STAFFS ABOUT STUCKEY. THIS IS WHY THE STATEMENT MADE MY CHEEKS IS SO STUPID. CHEEKS DIDN'T DO HIS HOMEWORK BEFORE HE STATED THAT HE EXPECTS THAT RODNEY WILL BE A TEAM LEADER THIS YEAR. CHEEKS IS GOOD BUDDIES WITH JOE. MAYBE CHEEKS WILL GAIN 100 LBS BEFORE THE SEASON IS OVER AND WILL BE FIRED ALONG WITH DUMARS. If Stuckey had ever played two games in a row when they counted WELL, then I wouldn't be saying this negative stuff. Instead of placing Stuckey on the first team before the season begins, he should be on the 3rd team based on his past performances. How about trying that Detroit sports writers??
Don, in my neck of the woods a guy had to be able to not only jump "out of the gym," but contort his body to avoid his shot being blocked, or switch hands with the ball in mid air, or hit an open team mate with a pin point pass, in order to be called talented and athletic; there are some high school kids who do this on a regular basis so this is not an over the top expectation for a professional. You can find some factory workers, city workers, and office workers, who are 6' 5" and playing recreation league basketball who can finish at the rim much, much better than Stuckey, and out shot him from distance with consistency. Stuckey should have been traded before Knight, but the Bucks didn't want him anymore than the Raptors did; I don't believe that Joe can get anybody in the class of "fantastic talent" for Rodney Stuckey, regardless of position played, and Stuckey being an expiring contract makes it that much more obvious he's not well thought of, as a player, by GM's around the league. The only thing that makes Stuckey a special player is, he's Joe's stupid ass mistake, that fans, sports writers, and casual observers have watched continue to muck up the Pistons chances of improving.

Don, it's my humble opinion that only the blind hero worshiper or out-right foolish can call Rodney Stuckey one of the most talented players on this Pistons team!! He wasn't good enough to stand out among the scrubs so you know damn well he'll be lost with real talent surrounding him.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  deusXango Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:21 pm

merc wrote:Murph, I suspect Joe would like to see what he can get for Stuckey's expiring.
Merc, Joe knows that he can't get anything but embarrassed, at this point, for Stuckey's expiring contract....this is something that should have been done long ago!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Oracle wrote:Apparently the culprit was the son of this man,

FORUM - Page 10 220px-Andre_in_the_late_%2780s

Andre the Giant's son Andre "The Lesser" Giant has been detained! Following in his fathers footsteps, they've always had a thing for the ladies.

FORUM - Page 10 A8
If you look closely Oracle, you will see that there is nothing between his legs. Was Andre the Giant a woman forced to hide her identity while wearing fake whiskers to get those parts in the "007" movies? Great photos Oracle.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Murph wrote:Just once I'd like to see JJ come back from playing in Europe, and keep his confidence and level of play up for more than 2 weeks back in the NBA.  Every year the guy is a star in Europe, but once he gets back to the NBA, he forgets how to play.  I don't think he can deal with the level of physicality in the NBA.
Murph maybe JJ was placed out of the rotation because of financial considerations. Pressure by Joe Dumars last season to play his ace power forward Charlie V has to be considered. Charlie has the fat contract. Everyone in the NBA except for some Piston fans who never watch the Pistons on the defensive end know that Charlie is poison to any team that wants to play the right way. How anyone likes him is beyond me. Yet somehow, Charlie works his way into the rotation. When he does, he has maybe two good shooting games and then the shots fall flat. His defense is always the worst of any NBA big man in the league. I rated him even with Austin Daye for the worst Piston defender before Daye was traded. Hopefully, Charlie will be history before this season is over but I still have my doubts that any team would want him to contaminate their team even with that expiring contract. But Joe can see a lot of potential. That is what Dumars said before the real games started last year. He is young and has a lot of talent. That is what Joe said. Oh, and this summer I read a lot of stuff on this forum about how important Charlie will be with this new team. He can spread the floor. Yes, he has been too lazy to develop a post up move so he can only walk down the court and set up beyond the 3 point line. It is his attitude on defense which kills any team's chances of success. Yet JJ is a team first player who does mix it up on defense and does attempt to rebound. I thought Jerebco played well towards the last part of the season when he finally was made part of the rotation. I just hope he has worked on his outside shooting. He can pass well, move without the ball, and penetrate with the ball. His outside shooting has been weak. But overall, JJ is a much better chemistry guy for the team than Charlie who seems to be a lock in the rotation again like Stuckey. How many times has this same thing played out the same way before training camp even has started??Charlie and Rodney get a free pass while JJ and others for sure will be out of the Piston's rotation. I am sure if JJ is traded, he will be very successful.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty More hype about Rodney Stuckey in the Free Press

Post  cool breeze Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm

How can anyone say that Rodney Stuckey is one of the most talented players on this Piston team? That is what one writer said in the Free Press. How does he know? What has Stuckey done to merit that kind of statement. When Stuckey was drafted it might be OK to say he has potential because he is athletic. But Stuckey has been playing in the NBA for a long time now and he has never been a consistent quality player like many of the other NBA players with his same experience. Every summer we read this stuff about Rodney. WHY? Is this stuff placed in the papers by Stuckey's agent? Is his agent paying off the Detroit writers? Somehow Stuckey has been able to survive on the theory that he is a fantastic talent but hasn't had good luck in his coaches noticing his talent. The writers seem to see his talent but his coaches haven't and Stuckey has been on the bench a lot. Curry, Kuester, and Stuckey's recently departed coaching staff all were at fault for delaying Stuckey's selection to the All Star game. All those coaches had their jobs on the line but still didn't trust Stuckey in games. Maybe they lost their jobs because Joe was mad that they didn't see what Joe saw in Stuckey. Is that it Joe???Then answer this question please. WHY IN HELL WERE STUCKEY'S TEAMMATES HAPPY WHEN THE VARIOUS COACHES SENT RODNEY TO THE BENCH? THAT IS RIGHT PISTON FANS. PISTON PLAYERS DIDN'T IIKE PLAYING WITH STUCKEY AND WERE ON THE SAME PAGE AS THE COACHING STAFFS ABOUT STUCKEY. THIS IS WHY THE STATEMENT MADE MY CHEEKS IS SO STUPID. CHEEKS DIDN'T DO HIS HOMEWORK BEFORE HE STATED THAT HE EXPECTS THAT RODNEY WILL BE A TEAM LEADER THIS YEAR. CHEEKS IS GOOD BUDDIES WITH JOE. MAYBE CHEEKS WILL GAIN 100 LBS BEFORE THE SEASON IS OVER AND WILL BE FIRED ALONG WITH DUMARS. If Stuckey had ever played two games in a row when they counted WELL, then I wouldn't be saying this negative stuff. Instead of placing Stuckey on the first team before the season begins, he should be on the 3rd team based on his past performances. How about trying that Detroit sports writers??

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Murph wrote:Uh oh...the hedging on Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is beginning already.  I see Vince Ellis, undoubtedly a Joe Dumars mouthpiece, is already running stories about how the Pistons are going to bring KCP "along slowly".  Joe 

http://www.freep.com/article/20130901/SPORTS03/309010067/detroit-pistons-kentavious-caldwell-pope?odyssey=obinsite

We should have drafted Trey Burke.  

Do you think Joe even watches college basketball?  scratch 
NO! It is obvious that Dumars is in the dark about college basketball. He played at a small college and maybe doesn't like the hype the big college programs receive. Who knows how he thinks but there is not doubt that Joe hasn't spent much of his own time watching players in the past. And what is worse is his tendency to hire scouts who are not interested in the college game. I have witnessed a lot of pro scouts in the past leave exciting ball games at the end of one half. That shows me this is only work for them unlike real basketball fans who watch because they love it. Those who love it make better scouts if it be high school, college or the NBA. I have seen NBA GMs at college games and they were excited and into the games. On the other hand, I sat next to one Piston scout hired by Joe Dumars who was siting two seats down from me with his buddy who was a Chicago Bulls scout. They chatted during the first half not really paying much attention to the game itself and then left at halftime. My buddy knew both of them and talked to them before they left. His comment was that both were real idiots. That next summer, Dumars drafted Rodney White.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Murph, I suspect Joe would like to see what he can get for Stuckey's expiring.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty KCP

Post  Murph Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Uh oh...the hedging on Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is beginning already. I see Vince Ellis, undoubtedly a Joe Dumars mouthpiece, is already running stories about how the Pistons are going to bring KCP "along slowly". Joe 

http://www.freep.com/article/20130901/SPORTS03/309010067/detroit-pistons-kentavious-caldwell-pope?odyssey=obinsite

We should have drafted Trey Burke.

Do you think Joe even watches college basketball? scratch 

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty JJ

Post  Murph Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Just once I'd like to see JJ come back from playing in Europe, and keep his confidence and level of play up for more than 2 weeks back in the NBA.  Every year the guy is a star in Europe, but once he gets back to the NBA, he forgets how to play.  I don't think he can deal with the level of physicality in the NBA.

Last edited by Murph on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Drummond

Post  Murph Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Oracle wrote:Apparently the culprit was the son of this man,

Andre the Giant's son Andre "The Lesser" Giant has been detained! Following in his fathers footsteps, they've always had a thing for the ladies.

FORUM - Page 10 A8
The Andre the Giant schtick is pretty amusing. lol lol lol lol 

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Sullinger arrested after assault call

Post  Oracle Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Drummond goes free!

Post  Oracle Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Apparently the culprit was the son of this man,

FORUM - Page 10 A8
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty LA News Flash: Drummond & McCurdy

Post  Oracle Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:55 am

Dateline Los Angeles, California:

Lady gets raped by hairy telephone pole!

Andre "The Giant" Drummond being held for questioning!

Miss McCurdy insists that she wasn't raped, and says that as telephone poles goes, this was a really good one!

Details to follow.............................................
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Melo v JH

Post  Oracle Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:48 am

lemonpen wrote:
When I read articles like that I ask "so what".  If they were teammates maybe there is relevance.  Two guys with different primary responsibilities, in different circumstances, under different direction.  Yes these comparisons can be made, but to what objective.
I hear you lemonpen!

I'm of two minds on this subject. I understand that it isn't fair to compare players that have different responsibilities, but on the other hand, there is a difference here.

Before I talk about the difference, let me say that I gave a shout out to DX because he saw something in Harden that I didn't see. I thought that he would be exposed once he left OKC, and that he was a good 3rd banana, but could never be the top dog!

I was totally wrong, Harden is every bit the key player DX thought he was!

Ok, here's the difference as I see it. If you're the star of your team, it's hard to talk about your responsibilities because they are whatever it takes to win!

LeBron was criticized horrible because his teams couldn't win. He played the role he was supposed to play, but his team didn't win. So he did more! He did what it took to get his team over the hump!

Harden has shown flashed of that capability, to be fair Melo has as well, but Melo's flashes are rare in contrast to Harden's.

The problem may be that too much is expected of Melo. Maybe he can't be a post up player, a guard, a 3 point threat, or the go to man in the 4th like those other players... for a whole season and into the playoffs.

But even if he can't, that's the comparison being made.

Is it a fair one? I think that at one level it is, even though it may be harsh, IMO, it will be there until he silences the critics like LeBron did.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Creating a winning culture

Post  merc Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:32 pm

This may be Joe's version of the Hail Mary (for his job)... He's bringing in as much physical talent as our cap can afford... then he adds veteran's from a proven wining program to see if we can alter their mentality of chuck-0-mentitus.
Flip had the X's & Os down pat... Frank had Basketball IQ without having a backbone
Honestly I'd like to see Ben hired to instill the fear factor...
CB & Sheed will need to have the coaches back (unlike the recent trend)... this has to be a united front... if you make bone headed plays and toss up low % shots you will be penalized.
I believe Sheed will be valuable from a skill & intelligence factor and keeping things loose (great for the youth)... My hope is that he takes coaching more seriously than his rep as somewhat of a slacker.
These cats are gonna have to learn for the first time that the extra pass trumps personal scoring merits.
At first glance the sum of the parts looks like a bunch of getting my own and not enough about what's best for the team... I could care less about CB's minutes but a whole lot about his value as a mentor.
These kids got their contracts... now it's time respect what wins games.

merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Melo v JH

Post  lemonpen Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 am

When I read articles like that I ask "so what". If they were teammates maybe there is relevance. Two guys with different primary responsibilities, in different circumstances, under different direction. Yes these comparisons can be made, but to what objective.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Order of Importance

Post  lemonpen Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:15 am

Remember our first 50 win team with Uncle Cliffy, Corliss, The Alternatorz.   We were on our way.  Championships were a certainty.  A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.  

Many of the guys we rooted so hard for disappeared.  Cliffy, Corliss, John Berry, Damon Jones, Chucky Atkins, .....
One by one they were replaced by what turned out to be better, championship quality players.

Here we sit four seasons removed from playoff contention.   Four years.  We've been dismantled and reconstructed.  So, is this the final product, the squad that delivers the gold.  Probably not.

Supposing we are on our way up, and the end game results in another Larry O'Brian, I wonder how many from the 2013-2014 roster will see it through.

I say all of this to say how hilariously entertaining it is to read posts & stories about what perceived hole in our game will keep us from going deep into the 2014 playoffs.    Considering our recent history, isn't (fill in the blank) a higher priority.

Last edited by lemonpen on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty And what of Melo, what of Melo

Post  Oracle Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:19 am

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Oracle wrote:
lemonpen wrote:From HoopsHype

Will Bynum: An Eventful Summer
As I've always suspected, not only is Bynum a solid reserve, he's a GREAT guy as well!

I knew this because guys that work that hard and are so grateful for just being in the NBA are going to give you all they have on the court, and express their gratitude off the court!

And by the way, no player, and I mean no other player wanted to be a Piston more than Bynum! He really wants to be here more than anywhere else!

I'm proud and happy to have Will Bynum be a Piston!
While I do not believe that Bynum is a good fit for this Piston team, there is no doubt that he is a good man. Thanks lemonpen for bringing this article to our attention. This positive I see with Bynum is that he is a good chemistry guy. Still we need a player like Siva and I don't want him in street clothes. Will Cheeks look at Bynum in a better light than Siva because Cheeks and Bynum are from Chicago? It is very difficult to be objective when it comes to judging talent relating to basketball.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Aldridge!!!!

Post  Go Stones! Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:04 am

He will be frustrated by the end of the preseason with all the newbies who show promise, but will interpret it as a rebuild year. Everyone else will be talking about NJ, NY, Detroit, Miami, LA Clippers, etc.

Joe D go get him! Trade Monroe and Stuckey and JJ (or whoever it would take) to get him. I'm not necessarily out for Monroe, but Aldridge as a true PF would be awesome along with Dre and Smith.

Dre
Aldridge
Smith
Billups/MCP
Jennings

How many "Big 3s" are in that line-up? 3-4 all-stars if all runs smoothly?

There is ALWAYS room to grow. We can not be afraid to trade like we were after 2005 when Joe D said "this is not a fire sale". After saying that, he pretty much had to slow down with the trades until the right opportunity arose. When there is no vision, the people perish... Just saying.
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 10 Empty Jennings is keeping the PG spot warm until Rondo gets here.

Post  Phil-Good Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:31 am

Unless Jennings becomes A top 5 PG over the next two years Rondo will be playing for the Detroit Pistons very soon.

And yes Detroit will be keeping Rondo, Drummonds, J.Smith and Greg Monroe.

Gores wants to win? Well here you go. Pay that luxury tax buddy because it's coming very soon...lol lol 

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next