Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+21
cool breeze
basketbills
FireDumars
barn67
deusXango
Oracle
g-man
Sparma
frankied
Pablitus
Sebastian
Sissy1946
mattty38
Murph
merc
FlyDog
WTF
Grizz
Rett
Flip
Admin
25 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Lions Forum

Post  Flip Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:58 pm

I got a Lions forum running if anyone wants to use it until Fly gets the link to the other one.

You do have to register again because its a different site and idk how to link them. But you can just post a guest if you want.

Just thought I'd give the heads up. Big game tommorrow...
Flip
Flip

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty CV is still a stiff...

Post  WTF Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Oh No! Not the CV bashing already, other than his shot being off he played very well. Stayed mainly in the post I think 6 or 7 defensive rebounds.

Irving might be more of a scorer but Knight looks like an actual PG and Irving more of a SG. I hope yesterday lineup isn't an indication that Knight won't be starting. My guess is if they do decide to get Stuckey in here but he and Knight will get the start with Ben still coming off the bench. BG defense still sucks big time.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Daye's Defense

Post  Grizz Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Murph ... according to the article I linked .. Daye's defense was not that good .. but he blocked 5 shots so I guess he was the best Piston player out there .. Maybe playing Russia was a smart move on his part ... Glad he played SF ..thanks for update on that .. Who knows? He may be the next Dirk Nowitski ..
Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Good news!

Post  Grizz Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for the update on Stuckey, Flip .... Stuckey for 3 years at 25 million .. hmmm ... too high per season but at least it is only 3 years ...Lets hope he plays SG and blossoms at his natural position... Ben G and Charlie V should be end of the quarter players vs the other teams back ups, especially those who are NOT such offensive threats, unless BG and CV are smoking hot.. Then let them keep playing .. A Pity Joe not so shrewdly decided to over-pay these guys so much for what they are worth because it just means we are paying for 1 dimensional players .. Never pay players who can only play 1 side of the court as if they can play both sides .. It just means the team wont have money down the road to get the talent they need ... So the way it looks .. Joe made these main GM bad approaches that hurt the team .. (1) getting an unbalanced roster, which led to players playing out of position, hurting both the team and the players' individual development; (2) failing to get players who can defend, rebound, or protect the paint; (3) over-paying players so that we could not field a complete team; (4) hiring idiotic head coaches who compounded things. It looks like Frank gets playing players at their positions so that is a relief, and the roster is now becoming more balanced though in the paint bigs stuff, we are at a big disadvantage .. Hope Knight takes over starting PG after 1 month at most .. and let Stuck be the SG and hope to heck he blooms there just like he showed so much promise in his first season.
Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  merc Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way...
If Joe made all the perfect moves for the past 3 years would we be good enough to beat the Lakers & Heat?... isn't this the goal?
We're one more screw up from getting a prized lotto pick... maybe in three years we have a shot at it.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Stuckey

Post  Sparma Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Hello all.

Thanks for organizing this, Flip.

Decent deal on Stuckey. Much better than the rumored 5 years. We have a leaner and more sensible roster than a year ago, with Prince and Stuckey locked in on reasonable deals (except for the length on TP), Knight in place, TMac and Rip gone. Would not have foreseen buying Rip out on such favorable terms. Not to mention Q's departure. Now if only we were any good. I like Monroe, Knight, and Jerebko. Gordon and Daye could be good too. And we have the amnesty leverage on Villanuena, Gordon, or maybe Maxiell. Heading in the right direction, with many miles to go.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  WTF Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Hey Welcome Sparma!!!! Glad to see another Pistons Talk family member here. I actually think this was one of Joe's better signings. I was thinking 21-25 million was a fair offer for both Stuckey and the team, I would have hated to see Joe lock Stuckey in with a 5 year deal at some crazy amount. It's a easy contract to trade if Joe need to and perhaps this shorter deal will help motivate Stuckey. I wasn't buying into that earlier rumor of 45 million over 5 years, it just didn't make sense.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty good points Sparma .. and good to see you ...

Post  Grizz Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Maybe we will be close to a 500 team .. the only reason I am picking the Pistons to be a top 3 lottery pick is that their front line is so thin ... even worst than last year with Wilcox gone, Big Ben a year older .. and Max 10 pounds heavier and 2 inches shorter ... But Monroe will improve ... and will have a better coach ..
Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:57 am

Hey Sparma... welcome aboard brother.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 am

Knight and Irving are both, going to be very nice Point Guards. The ar very altheletic and cerebral players. They are natural points, too. Each will have his challenges, errors, and successes.

Like frankie d, said, this was a great pick by Joe' a no-brainer that wasn't passed on. Knight is a cross between Zeke (offense) and Dave Bing (defense).

Knight will become a STAR, when all said and done.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 am

WE will go 33-33.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Thanks

Post  Sparma Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks Grizz and Merc. Great to see so many here. When I last wrote at Detnews, I wasn't able to get back to the forum last day and was shocked and dismayed to find it shut down the next day. It was only later I was able to access the archive and find out what Flip arranged. What a major disruption caused by Detnews! I suppose there was enough trouble (and loss of resources in the moderator?) for them to feel they needed to shut down.

Over the years, I've been struck by how the official journalists (like Chris M.) get occasional scoops through their access (in his case to Flip Saunders), but how that access was bought at the price of distorting and watering down ordinary coverage. For instance, we know about Stuckey's public misbehavior, but there's got to be a lot more which journalists witness which is alluded to only vaguely as lack of leadership. The frank, expert, analysis takes place on fan forums (along with some stuff that isn't so great) more so than in the professionally produced pages of the newspaper. In any case, I'm glad not to have lost all contact overnight.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 am

Folks, It may be time to take a second look at some of the decisions that you has been fortunate to either make on his own or that were no-brainers.

Over the last three years, while WE have wondered in the NBA wilderness, Joe has assembled a starting roster of an average age of 23 years of age:

PG- Knight (20 years old)
SG- Stuckey (25 years old)
SF- Daye (23 years old)
PF= Jerebko (23 years old)
C- Monroe (22 years old)

He can then come off with the veteran aged players: Tay (SF/31), Ben G. (SG/28), Charlie V, (PF/27), Big Ben (C/PF/38), Macklin (C/26 year old rookie).

WE should also move Maxey to the Rockets for Thabeet. Thabeet could be a part of the youth movement.

Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 am

I was meaning to add, in regards to acquisitions that Joe has made since 2008, perhaps WE as fans can't see the job that he has done at reforming OUR roster ... maybe WE can't see the forest for the trees.

Again, move Maxey for Thabeet. Thiabeet is much better than before. He's stronger, moves better and generally looks more balanced and erected.

WE shiould go get this kid. If they will not take Maxey, then offer the Rockets OUR rights to Kyle Singler and an additional future second round pick.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty Stunkey

Post  FlyDog Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:50 am

Hi Sparma, glad you found us. I'll update all the new predictions later, fellas.

When I read last night that we had signed Stunkey, I immediately jumped in the shower to scrub the STUNK off of me. It didn't work, it's a lingering STUNK. We're stuck with this awful STUNK. Maybe we can trade him at the deadline.........the contract is a bit high, imo, but reasonable when compared to other recent NBA signings.
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty New Lions Site

Post  FlyDog Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:36 am

With some familiar names:
weareftroop.com
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty New Lions Site

Post  WTF Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks Fly I just signed in to the site and yes I see a lot of the familiar characters posting there.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  frankied Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:38 pm

"Decent deal on Stuckey. Much better than the rumored 5 years. We have a leaner and more sensible roster than a year ago, with Prince and Stuckey locked in on reasonable deals (except for the length on TP), Knight in place, TMac and Rip gone. Would not have foreseen buying Rip out on such favorable terms. ... Heading in the right direction, with many miles to go."
i've probably been as hard on joe d as anyone in the forum. but i have to agree with wise.
and sebastian made a great point by listing the ages of the young guys like JJ and monroe and daye and knight and stuckey. that is a nice solid core of young guys to build around and with the addition of a couple more pieces - a deandre jordan-like center and a real point guard (is knight that guy? - this team can be dangerous.
it was nice to see an actual defensive scheme the first time out. it was obvious taht the players had specific defensive roles and they understood them and knew how and when they had to rotate.
unfortunately, they were often a little late and their lack of certain skills - like shotblocking - hurt a lot and exposed their defensive weaknesses, but at least the coach knows what he wants to do and is trying to implement his scheme. much different from the general defensive chaos that was obvious from the first year of coach k's tenure, when it was impossible to figure out what the heck he was trying to do.
so, i hope the team actually gives the young guys, especially daye and knight, the chance to play and develop. i am resigned to seeing wilkins on the floor, but i just hope he is used as a starter who may play 18 minutes or so a game, used sparingly when a wing player needs cooling off defensively.
i know it was just one game, but i'm a knight fan already and i'm looking forward to seeing the kid play and hopefully develop as a point guard.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty stunky...

Post  frankied Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:53 pm

FlyDog wrote:Hi Sparma, glad you found us. I'll update all the new predictions later, fellas.

When I read last night that we had signed Stunkey, I immediately jumped in the shower to scrub the STUNK off of me. It didn't work, it's a lingering STUNK. We're stuck with this awful STUNK. Maybe we can trade him at the deadline.........the contract is a bit high, imo, but reasonable when compared to other recent NBA signings.

c'mon fly. a little rough on hot rod.
if knight is able to play the point stuckey will be able to assume the role he should have been playing from the beginning: scorer.
hate to say it, but i just don't think that stuckey was smart enough to do what they wanted him to do. making a transition from scorer to distributor takes an understanding of the game and an intelligence stuckey has never shown. he is at his best when he is just instinctive, when he just acts on the court, without thinking. give him the ball on the perimeter, let him break his man down and he's golden. he is aggressive and he has that latrell sprewell nose for the basket.
put the ball in his hands and tell him to run an offense and make decisions and he looks like an entirely different player...tentative, hesitant, passive. he looks lost.
after one one game it's not clear if knight can play the point, but it is clear that he knows what he needs to do, and he is definitely trying to fit into that role. he does seem to be the bright person everyone describes.
brains do matter. dumars and zeke had extremely high BB IQs, and that helped immensely.
if knight succeeds, the team gets a twofer...they get the point guard they have needed for a long time and they also get a rejuvenated shooting guard in rodney stuckey.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty The missing big

Post  merc Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:33 pm

After two years of "hand sitting" you woulda thought Joe had something in the works for a decent big...
I understand the concept of taking care of our FAs first... but aren't these the same players that helped us miss the playoffs?
Well, back to patience mode Sleep
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm currently watching the Christmas 1990 game, originally aired on NBC, between the Pistons and the Bulls. It would benefit Stuckey and Knight to both watch the tape of this game.

WE were the best team in the League during the '89-'90 season (63-19), defeated the Portland Trailblazers 4-1 (3 straight in Portland) and defending champs, 21 Christmases ago.

Joe and Zeke were the best guard tandem in the League, during this season, and really from the '88-'91 season.

Knight and Stuckey can do it, too, but seeing tapes of Joe and Zeke during the period from 1988-1990 they will see what Joe is trying to have recreated.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty missing bigs...

Post  frankied Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:08 pm

merc wrote:After two years of "hand sitting" you woulda thought Joe had something in the works for a decent big...
I understand the concept of taking care of our FAs first... but aren't these the same players that helped us miss the playoffs?
Well, back to patience mode Sleep

merc,
it is a mystery. he keeps bringing in 3s and 2s but ignores the power positions.
both offensively and defensively.
monroe is really the only low post threat on the team, unless they start posting up daye, but monroe is not really a bona fide low post threat. his game is more in that 8-12 foot range where he can use his superior ball skills on other big guys.
that is why a guy like craig smith would have been perfect.
it is ironic that portland signed him, so i'll get a chance to see him play, but it will just be for a team i don't really care about. he would have been a perfect bench player for detroit.
it mystifies me that he would bring in a guy like wilkins - a guy who might be a nice situational player, but someone who is not as much of a need, as a low post scorer like smith.
and that doesn't even begin to talk about the need for a big guy who can clog the middle and block shots.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 6 Empty The missing big

Post  WTF Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Merc and Frankie Dalembert is still available if Joe really put on his thinking cap he could swap BG in a sign and trade. I'll take a starting line up all day of Knight, Stuckey, Monroe, JJ and Dalembert. We can always find a back SG there a couple out there on the real cheap one by the name of Arenas.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  Flip Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:54 pm

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flip
Flip

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Flip wrote:GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!