Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+8
deusXango
Sebastian
WTF
Oracle
Sparma
Phil-Good
Fennis Dembo
cool breeze
12 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Magic Waive Jameer Nelson

Post  Sebastian Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:40 pm

I hope like hell that SVG doesn't sign Jameer!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234034/Magic-Waive-Jameer-Nelson
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Good point...

Post  Oracle Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:56 pm

WISEFAN wrote:whatever the Kings send back to us it better include Stauskas and McCallum.   I know the Kings would like to get Josh and adding Rondo in the mix put them right there in the race out West.  I just don't see us losing both Josh and Moose in the same summer and still not certain Moose wants to really be here while being forced to play PF.  

Things are about to get real interesting the next 10-15 days.   I see Bosh has opted out as well.  

You're right, and that means that the timing will be very tricky!

IMO, they would really want to resolve the Moose situation first because it lets you know what you want to do with Josh!

If Moose is gone, there's no way I want Josh traded... PERIOD!

Sacto has nothing for us worth giving up our only remaining starting PF if Moose is gone!

On a side note, if the deal did go down, we won't be getting Stauskas! He's their SG of the future, so McCallum is the likely piece being sent over with other more pricey pieces.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Trading Josh Smith

Post  WTF Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:26 am

whatever the Kings send back to us it better include Stauskas and McCallum. I know the Kings would like to get Josh and adding Rondo in the mix put them right there in the race out West. I just don't see us losing both Josh and Moose in the same summer and still not certain Moose wants to really be here while being forced to play PF.

Things are about to get real interesting the next 10-15 days. I see Bosh has opted out as well.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Busy Day 3 of 3: Why do the Kings want Josh Smith?

Post  Oracle Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:35 am

Why indeed!!!

I must admit that it puzzled me because it looked like adding Josh didn't make any sense for the kings.... until I saw this!

Article wrote:Days prior to the NBA Draft rumors surfaced, stating that the Kings were interested in trading for the troubled Josh Smith. This may be easier than expected depending on how Stan Van Gundy views Smith vs. Greg Monroe. Smith's versatility on both ends of the floors instantly makes him into the ideal candidate to play at the PF next to Cousins. A team consisting of Smith, Gay and Cousins would really inject fear into opponents.

That's a decent reason, but IMO, while necessary, it's not sufficient to make the move attractive enough. Then the "Article" went on to say this...

Article wrote:Hear me out on this one. In no way am I suggesting Isaiah Thomas is a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. He is possibly the most electrifying player in the entire NBA, partially due to his miniature stature. The supposed "Mr. Irrelevant" has catapulted his stock to almost immeasurable standards for the Kings. Overpaying for a PG who cannot create for others is simply not in the long-term plans, therefore trading him is necessary.

This was step 2 in their thinking, but it's only a stepping stone to pull off the coupe de gras of bringing in a guy that wants to play with Josh, and the only player that makes having him make ultimate sense!

Article wrote:One more tremendous move is in Sacramento's forecast, as they will again make a strong push to acquire Rajon Rondo via trade. This links back to the Smith scenario, as the two are buddies dating far in the past. Possibly, if Smith was a member of the Kings, Rondo would be convinced enough to ink an extension next summer when he's a free agent. A creator-first, scorer-second is the type of point guard needed to give Cousins and Gay easier looks.

And now it all begins to make sense! A team of Cousins, Rudy Gay, Josh Smith & Rajon Rondo is formidable with a good mixture of great scoring and good to great defense!

Who knows if it will work, but well played Sacto... well played!!!

5 Post-Draft Moves the Sacramento Kings Should Make

BTW, even if it doesn't work, it's refreshing to see team management with a long term plan of execution! Something we haven't seen here in YEARS!!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Busy Day 2 of 3

Post  Oracle Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 am

Poor Larry Drew!

I know at this point he's asking himself, "Why oh why did I have to drop the soap", which is quickly followed up by, "I hope they brought some grease"!

Sorry Larry, they brought no grease, and this is an old fashioned f**king!

It appears that the only thing left to do is to figure out what compensation the Bucks will give the Nets for running off with their Kidd  lol 

Reports: Bucks offering second round pick to make Kidd new head coach

Next up: Josh Smith & the Kings...

Last edited by Oracle on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Busy Day 1 of 3

Post  Oracle Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:28 am

SVG wrote:With a young roster, it’s obvious Van Gundy considers that an imperative that must be addressed through free agency or trade.
“Guys that we think are high-character, team guys, guys that play hard and are high-energy guys,” Van Gundy said. “I think our team needs an energy infusion.

“Hopefully some of it will come from our returning guys putting more energy into the game. We need an energy infusion.”

Ok, it seems that SVG has reviewed the tapes of last season and possibly drawn the same conclusion most of us have come to, that the team didn't play hard enough!

After further review, I think we were wrong. We can all agree that they didn't play smart enough, but for a team that had that many 4th quarter leads and blew them, it's not all about smarts, a HUGE part of that is conditioning!

We'll have to keep an eye on this next season.

Now post 2 will cover the Bucks a bit!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty He's 6ft10, shoots 40% from 3, and we should be able to sign him easily

Post  Sparma Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Since when is that not big news? I'm talking about the sidebar (freep) story about Jordan Heath. I took the liberty to round up his 39.7% to 40% and that would be college distance. Still, the pride of our franchise, AD, will never sniff those numbers, nor will the guy we're agonizing about giving a max contract to, nor will the guy we've already given a long term near max contract to.

Dang. He must have some serious downside. Maybe 240's not much for 6'10"? Anyone know more about the guy?

My understanding is that other teams can offer contracts to some of the guys on our summer team, but we must have some kind of inside track.

Then again, I already think Josh Harrellson could be a really good big man reserve. Recently read a columnist saying it was only a matter of time before he got cut. So the NBA can be a confusing place to me.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Lots of rumors...

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Guard Rodney Stuckey, a free agent after seven seasons with Detroit, makes a lot of sense for the Warriors because he can back up Curry or Thompson. Stuckey is 6-foot-5 and 205 pounds, and his game is attacking the paint off the dribble. His career percentage of free-throw attempts to field-goal attempts is .381, well above Curry's career-high of .252 last season. Bay Area News Group

Jeremy Lin, a Bay Area native and former Warrior, is an even better penetrator than is Stuckey. But Lin will count $8.4 million against the salary cap on his expiring contract -- if Houston were willing to trade him. That would leave the Warriors with less than $3 million to fill out the roster. Bay Area News Group

FORUM - Page 18 Shaun_livingstonFree agents Shaun Livingston and Ramon Sessions could be had under the midlevel exception. Atlanta might also be willing to part with Lou Williams' $5.45 million expiring contract, though he's another jump-shooting guard. Bay Area News Group

The big men are much more scarce. Free agent Channing Frye would fill a couple of needs for the Warriors in that he can stretch the floor and be a backup center. But he opted out of a $6 million contract with Phoenix and probably is looking for a multiyear deal -- a lot to ask for a big man who doesn't rebound or defend well. Bay Area News Group

FORUM - Page 18 Jason_kiddApparently Jason Kidd isn’t satisfied with just coaching, but he’ll have to be if he stays with the Nets. According to a league source, Kidd recently approached ownership with a series of demands, including the role of overseeing the Nets’ basketball operations department in addition to his head coaching responsibilities. The source said Kidd didn’t want general manager Billy King to be dismissed, but wanted to be given a title and placed above him in the organizational hierarchy. NY Post

Ownership declined to grant Kidd that kind of power, which is rare for any coach in the league to have. The source said ownership felt Kidd wasn’t ready for that kind of responsibility after having only one year of coaching experience — the team finished his first season on the bench with a 44-38 record, good for sixth in the Eastern Conference — and allowed Kidd to seek other opportunities. NY Post

The franchise then was approached by the Bucks for permission to speak with Kidd about the prospect of hiring him, and the Nets granted permission. Bucks coach Larry Drew just completed his first season in Milwaukee after the team hired him last summer following his contract expiring with Atlanta. NY Post

The Bucks, long one of the league’s moribund franchises, has been injected with new life after the sale of the team from its longtime owner, Sen. Herb Kohl, for $550 million to New York investment firm executives Wes Edens and Marc Lasry, who is a good friend of Kidd, in mid-May. NY Post

FORUM - Page 18 Mark_jacksonSources told ESPN.com on Saturday night that the name of former Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson has come up internally as a potential candidate to replace Kidd if he indeed leaves the Nets. Jackson was ousted by the Warriors in May after his own flap with ownership, and he famously defended Kidd's decision to demote highly paid lead assistant Lawrence Frank. Jackson currently is an NBA analyst for ESPN. ESPN NY

In addition, NBA coaching sources say the Nets are interested in veterans Lionel Hollins and George Karl, another ESPN analyst. Sources described Nets general manager Billy King's relationship with Kidd as strained. Sources said King suggested a coaching change in December as the Nets were in the midst of a 10-21 start to the season. However, Russian ownership stuck with Kidd as veterans such as Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce continued to staunchly support the first-time coach. ESPN NY

The Lakers are the only team in the league at present with a head-coaching vacancy, but sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Los Angeles will not be reaching out to Kidd as a potential candidate if he indeed becomes available. ESPN NY

FORUM - Page 18 NetsAfter a failed power play in Brooklyn, Nets coach Jason Kidd has entered into serious negotiations to become president of basketball operations for the Milwaukee Bucks, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Kidd made a failed coup to Brooklyn's Russian ownership to usurp the power of Nets general manager Billy King – and failed spectacularly. The Nets and Bucks are discussing compensation for Milwaukee hiring Kidd away, which will likely include second-round draft picks, sources told Yahoo Sports. "The Russians are done with Kidd," one high-ranking league source told Yahoo Sports on Saturday night. Yahoo

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Don totally nails it!

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Don wrote:Now I will get to the point of posting this story. Houston has Patrick Beverly ( an outstanding perimeter defender), Isaiah Cannan, Troy Daniels, Francisco Garcia (guard-forward), Jordan hamilton (guard-forward), James Harden, Jeremy Lin, and now Nick Johnson. This team has set up a situation where there will be incredible competition for playing time within the guard positions. This is what SVG needs to go moving forward. Joe Dumars created a atmosphere where competition would not be tolerated. Joe used his faulty crystal ball to hand pick players like Daye, Stuckey, Bynum, and Jennings. When concerned that his players might get beat out in training camp he moved Arron Affalo, Chase Budinger etc. There was no reason to trade Knight or Middleton as well because Detroit could have signed Jennings with no trade because no other team was interested in Jennings and the Bucks didn't want him back. Dumars didn't want competition for Jennings. This house of cards manipulation by Dumars backfired in a big way. But now we have the opposite type of leader in SVG. He will bring in a group of guards who have some real fire and we will be watching and wondering who will win spots in the rotation. Oracle talked about creating the right culture. Joe Dumars wanted to manipulate things to the point that the organization became sick and laughed at by the rest of the league's GMs. We have the spoiled sick players now that need to go or face real compeition for their spots. Maybe it will take a year to get some hardcore players in place to fight it out but it will happen. It is beyond belief how Joe Dumars could be so far gone for his last 5 years. While every other NBA team was trying really hard to identify and sign guards who can guard the perimeter, Joe picked the worst defenders in the NBA. We have two point guards who are the worst defenders in the league and they are both small guys. What was Joe thinking or was he thinking at all about fielding a winning team???

Joe simply didn't want competition for his pet players! While I understand what he was trying to do, he just didn't do it right. You clear the way for guys that have competed and clearly won, but even then, you want someone nipping at their heels in the form of young guys to keep them sharp!

You're also right about not needing to make a trade to get Jennings!

How stupid it was to not have a competition between Knight & Jennings? Knight & Middleton made no money!!! Trading young talented players on their rookie contract for absolutely no reason is terminally STUPID!! That's why you don't trade Monroe on his rookie contract, you can't get anything in return, and that's why we're in good shape if we do the S&T, a 10 times return in value over trading him last season!!!

Joe got to the point that because of his great success, he thought it was all him and that he had some genius insight that others didn't. Once that happened, logic went out the door and head scratching decisions with seemingly no consequences happened on a regular basis... too bad!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Houston news relating to the draft shows me they have done their homework

Post  cool breeze Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Houston is high on Nick Johnson and believe that they have pulled off the steal of this draft. This is what I have been saying since draft day. Houston director of player development, Matt Brase, a guy I had lunch with several years ago, was quoted as follows: "Nick came in here, had a good workout and I've always been high on him. Johnson first caught my eye when he was a 7th grader and then followed his career at Bilbet Highland and Findlay Prep". Brase went on to say that Nick is a rare player and person who shines when playing 5 on 5 regardless of the level he is playing at. What do all NBA teams need in today's game in the NBA? Guards who are really good perimeter defenders are rare. Johnson is one of the best perimeter defenders in basketball. Johnson is really excited to be with Houston for another reason. Nick is quoted as saying "coach Mchale is a legand in basketball, playing with my uncle. Now I get to talk to him and learn from him and Matt Brase's there so I am excited." Money or fame will not change Nick Johnson and adversity is just another challenged for him. 

Now I will get to the point of posting this story. Houston has Patrick Beverly ( an outstanding perimeter defender), Isaiah Cannan, Troy Daniels, Francisco Garcia (guard-forward), Jordan hamilton (guard-forward), James Harden, Jeremy Lin, and now Nick Johnson. This team has set up a situation where there will be incredible competition for playing time within the guard positions. This is what SVG needs to go moving forward. Joe Dumars created a atmosphere where competition would not be tolerated. Joe used his faulty crystal ball to hand pick players like Daye, Stuckey, Bynum, and Jennings. When concerned that his players might get beat out in training camp he moved Arron Affalo, Chase Budinger etc. There was no reason to trade Knight or Middleton as well because Detroit could have signed Jennings with no trade because no other team was interested in Jennings and the Bucks didn't want him back. Dumars didn't want competition for Jennings. This house of cards manipulation by Dumars backfired in a big way. But now we have the opposite type of leader in SVG. He will bring in a group of guards who have some real fire and we will be watching and wondering who will win spots in the rotation. Oracle talked about creating the right culture. Joe Dumars wanted to manipulate things to the point that the organization became sick and laughed at by the rest of the league's GMs. We have the spoiled sick players now that need to go or face real compeition for their spots. Maybe it will take a year to get some hardcore players in place to fight it out but it will happen. It is beyond belief how Joe Dumars could be so far gone for his last 5 years. While every other NBA team was trying really hard to identify and sign guards who can guard the perimeter, Joe picked the worst defenders in the NBA. We have two point guards who are the worst defenders in the league and they are both small guys. What was Joe thinking or was he thinking at all about fielding a winning team???

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Paul Pierceand Haslem Thought

Post  WTF Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:41 pm

I would consider making him an offer short term 2 years if I could get him for around 6-7 million a season. Pierce could have a much greater impact for a team like the Pistons than he would with those Divas in Brooklyn. The Pistons would get some locker room stability and veteran leadership the kind we thought CB would bring last year on and off the court.

I don't think we need to be focusing on the list of Journeymen Stone provided, and no we shouldn't be replacing players like Jennings with those types of players. Jennings is flawed and he needs the guidance of veteran players to correct a lot of what's wrong with him. Vince Carter, Turk aren't the players I
would want around our young players. They need leadership from vets that have contributed to winning titles with their respective team they don't need hanger on types and players that bounce around the league.

The second veteran player I would add with MLE is Haslem, not sure why he hasn't played much with Heat recently but if he's physically capable of given the team 10 minutes of spot duty every other game I would sign him as well.

I'm not suggesting signing either of these players as a fix to what else this team, hopefully we'll get those wing players back in a sign and trade of Moose, but these to vets (Pierce and Haslem) could provide the leadership this team needs, and serve as a bridge from coach to player. Coaches have little time to teach fundamentals so much o what these guys do learn come from other players.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Murph wrote:
Go Stones! wrote:Which of these would make us better?  Choose only 3, with amount you think SVG would offer per year (on average):

Shaun Livingston
Kirk Hinrich
Vince Carter
Devin Harris
Steve Blake
Lance Stephenson
Turk
Chris Duhon
Mario Chalmers
Ramon Sessions
Shannon Brown
Sefolosha
Reggie Williams
Q Rich
Barbosa
Mo Williams
Patty Mills
Lowry
Glen Rice Jr

At this point, I'd try to dump Jennings and sign a competent veteran PG.  Someone like Kyle Lowry would be great.  But if we can't sign Lowry, I go with a veteran PG like Kirk Hinrich, Ramon Sessions or even Devin Harris as a stop-gap measure.  All those guys can run a team better than Jennings.
I agree with you. Lowry would be my first choice but it is doubtful he would sign with Detroit. Hinrich would for sure improve our club immediately in many ways providing leadership until we can get Spencer Dinwiddie at full strength. His perimeter defense is good and he knows how to run an offense the right way. But Hinrich most likely will do the same thing as Lowry which will be to join a winning team.  Lance Stephenson is a huge gamble but might be worth the risk. All teams are looking for perimeter defenders when adding a guard. Those are my 3 players unless Detroit can pull off a trade to include one or two guards that were just drafted. I would try to get Nick Johnson from Houston as my first choice but it doesn't look as if they would include him in any trade.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty FA PGs

Post  Murph Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Go Stones! wrote:Which of these would make us better?  Choose only 3, with amount you think SVG would offer per year (on average):

Shaun Livingston
Kirk Hinrich
Vince Carter
Devin Harris
Steve Blake
Lance Stephenson
Turk
Chris Duhon
Mario Chalmers
Ramon Sessions
Shannon Brown
Sefolosha
Reggie Williams
Q Rich
Barbosa
Mo Williams
Patty Mills
Lowry
Glen Rice Jr

At this point, I'd try to dump Jennings and sign a competent veteran PG. Someone like Kyle Lowry would be great. But if we can't sign Lowry, I go with a veteran PG like Kirk Hinrich, Ramon Sessions or even Devin Harris as a stop-gap measure. All those guys can run a team better than Jennings.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty D-League

Post  WTF Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Oracle
Well that won't happen, so hopefully having and controlling our own D-League will help this situation.

That's my hope Oracle and hopefully all the team in the league follow suit since they're drafting these kids prematurely solely on potential they could at least bring these kids along slowly well they learn those fundamentals in the D-league. This will especially be beneficial to 2nd round picks, undrafted rookies and 1st rounder's that might be considered potential bust because they lack certain skills.

The idea of every team having a D-league team could also lead to adding additional rounds to the draft which I think is a good thing, it could also lead to the televising of these D-league games which I think many fans would enjoy watching just to see the development of those players.

Think about all the 2nd round players we had and how many would have benefited greatly if that got consistent PT well learning the system of that pro team.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Nice...

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:53 am

In looking at advanced stats courtesy of Synergy Sports, it would appear the Pistons might have found a good player — even if the injury limits the second-round pick in his rookie season. Dinwiddie was the 38th overall pick in Thursday night’s NBA draft.

■ In points per possession, he finished first among draft level point guards at 1.17; he was second overall behind Doug McDermott at 1.18.

■ In pick-and-roll points per possession, he was first among point guards at 1.06.

■ In spot-up points per possession, he was first among point guards at 1.28.

■ In true shooting percentage (FG% adjusted for value of three-pointers made and free throws made) he was first among point guards at 68.2%.

He is also adept at getting to the free-throw line and produced a very good assist-to-turnover ratio (2.13-to-1).

From: Deeper look at numbers shows Spencer Dinwiddie's worth
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Good post Wise!

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:49 am

You're right, by the time players get to the NBA they should be fundamentally sound, like the players that come out of great programs(MSU, UCLA, Arizona under Lute, Duke, etc.).

So without going back to the 50's Smile

Well that won't happen, so hopefully having and controlling our own D-League will help this situation.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty College-NBA-Media-Fans All To Blame Not Coaches and Players

Post  WTF Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:13 am

It's neither coaching nor the players but the progressive decline of a once proud institution known as professional basketball. The minute anything becomes about the money it's bound to become a piece of sh!t!

There was a time when you could solely look at the players and rest success or failure onto their shoulders. Don you are correct it does start with players but you keep missing the key reasoning as why these players often fail and it goes back to coaching so Oracle is correct IMO except that I think the coach part of it starts long before these players make the pros.

The reason why I think the Spurs have so much success is that they acquire fundamentally sound players to start with and where do they get these players from? Abroad of course and their not living in the shining hype light of ESPN and 1 season college careers, they're not even as talented as many of their peers but they're a hell of a lot smarter.

The Spurs will always be an exception to the rule, and it will require a major change in thinking across the league before other organization start to think and function the way the Spurs do. There was a time not to long ago half of the players drafted in the Top 10 this season wouldn't have even been drafted because they weren't considered ready for professional basketball. Though talented as they may or may not be they are as dumb as rocks and NBA coaches will have a hell of a time coaching them. This is why more times then not I can side with a coach because NBA coaches should not be task with teaching fundamentals so when you look a Pop coaching the Spurs he's not spending all his time teaching fundamentals to players he's teaching them his system.

Teaching their systems is all coaches want to do and they all have one they just don't have fundamentally sound players to run them. Consider this example Brooks in OKC likely have a system he would love to run but he can't because his team isn't fundamentally equipped to do so and they solely get by on the talent of Westbrook and Durant. Love them as you all may but both Durant and Westbrook are fundamentally ill-equipped to beat teams like the Spurs. This is why I often laugh at the Josh being dumb comments because so are Westbrook and Durant and a host of other players in the league that get by solely on talent. I'll remove the word dumb and just say that they're all just fundamentally weak and the bar for learning has been lowered.

When I think about all the teams that have won titles with the exception of maybe a hand full Miami being one of those teams those coaches weren't spend 80% of the time dealing with players that they had to teach basic fundamental skills to. The talent level was so great in Miami that very little coaching was required and was so great that it landed them a title over a more fundamentally sound squad the year before. But this time that same fundamentally squad dominated them in what should have been a 4 game sweep in the NBA Finals because that talent was fading. 90% of the players in the league suck from a fundamental perspective and the Spurs have a large number of the remaining 10% fundamentally sound players on their roster anchored by a savvy vet and great coach. But as great as Pop is he couldn't coach a bunch of poorly fundamentally sound players into the playoffs.

It should all start with the players but the system keep telling them that they don't have to work hard, and the fan base refuses to acknowledge these players are not equipped fundamentally and give these players free passes while the media hype up a persona of greatness before these players even accomplish the bare minimum of success. It is hard to solely place blame on the ignorant (players) but it just as hard to blame a NBA coach for not being able to coach them.

Personally I wish all players were required to stay in college at 3 years to learn how to play the game, but the league started this mess and it may never get fixed if the league doesn't change the rules and allow college coaches to teach these kids before they draft them.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Don

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:22 am

Don wrote:However, what you are saying might be partly true on some NBA teams like the Spurs although if you listen to their coach, he gives all the credit to Tim Duncan

No, it's 100% true if the organization is functioning properly, and here's why!

Duncan is the enforcer! You're confusing the cops with the law!

If you read my post closer, I said there needs to be leadership from some player(s).

But what the players enforce is the way the coach wants the players to play, and how you fail to see that when the examples around this league, and the history of this team has example after example surprises me.

Look at the Bulls, they play like Vogel, and the players enforce that level & style!

The 2004 Pistons entire team bought into LB's mission and they enforced the locker room as good cops are supposed to!

It comes from the top, but it does require that the leadership of the team buys into the mission and from that point on, the players will enforce the system!

We haven't had a coach since Larry Brown that got the players to buy in to his system... NOT One! Oddly the closest was Lil Larry, and IMO, he got a lot out of a team that started Maxiell.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Strange stuff...

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:09 am

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Rockets Formally Inform Chandler Parsons Of Declined Team Option

Post  Sebastian Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:52 pm

Shaun Livingston
Kirk Hinrich
Vince Carter
Devin Harris
Steve Blake
Lance Stephenson
Turk
Chris Duhon
Mario Chalmers
Ramon Sessions
Shannon Brown
Sefolosha
Reggie Williams
Q Rich
Barbosa
Mo Williams
Patty Mills
Lowry
Glen Rice Jr

Yo,  Stones, SVG should just get into the Chandler Parsons sweepstakes and offer him the $8 million that Charlie V. was making and the $2.5 million that Chauncey would had made if the Pistons would had pick up the team option. Yes, $10.5 million for 4 years to Chandler Parsons.

Do it SVG!
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Who are the 10 wings SVG has his eyes on?

Post  Go Stones! Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Which of these would make us better? Choose only 3, with amount you think SVG would offer per year (on average):

Shaun Livingston
Kirk Hinrich
Vince Carter
Devin Harris
Steve Blake
Lance Stephenson
Turk
Chris Duhon
Mario Chalmers
Ramon Sessions
Shannon Brown
Sefolosha
Reggie Williams
Q Rich
Barbosa
Mo Williams
Patty Mills
Lowry
Glen Rice Jr
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Miami

Post  Go Stones! Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:25 pm

The Big 3 have been frustrated the past few years by not having the best supporting cast. This has broken down Wade immensely in his health. They have depended on scrubs rising to the occasion and vets who just want a ring and are willing to be underpaid.

The Big 3 will cut their salary significantly so that they will either get a better supporting cast, or to obtain someone like Melo in the mix. Either way it helps their end result...as if they are paying for someone to cut their lawn so they don't have to. The more they are selfless in pay, the more they will have in the tank at the end of the season and the end of their careers. Can you imagine if they all had contracts of $10 million a year and Melo came for same amount and they got someone else like Lowry to buy into the plan? They could have the Big 4.5!

I'm personally sick of the Big ____! It is human nature to get something Fast Food style..."Your Way Right Away!" All the vets will play one more year and sit the bench and get a ring just so they can be considered a real player. Really? Jump ship for the yacht so you don't have to work so hard? They are all sell-outs!

SVG could get a nice couple of FAs together and add it to a newly transformed Smith/Jennings combo and then Dre will continue to dominate and learn. Then add a respected stretch 4 and a respectable 3-D player at the SG and we have ourselves a team, folks! The bench would be strong enough too.

I'd like Billups to go his way as well as Stuckey and CV. This would improve the team right away. They would need a spark plug off the bench to replace Stuckey. Shoot, I'd consider Monroe and Jorts off the bench as a duo. They would work well off each other along with Singler and KCP and Bynum. I think that would be a great 2nd unit.

Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 pm

Oracle wrote:
Go Stones! wrote:I really wanted Ryan Anderson and Afflalo.  I'd say Afflalo seems to be more like Joe D as a player than anyone else I know.  Well-rounded and could carry the team if necessary and play D, but also stayed out of trouble and controversy.  

Ryan Anderson is a poor-man's Love(if healthy).  We need a tall PF that can pump the 3 pointer and hustle.  

My biggest knock on Monroe is that he is only going to be slower with age and he has a very low level of athleticism (vertical jump and hustle).  

SVG is being pretty dramatic for pumping up Monroe's value so that the team can get max amount out of him.  This is the anti-Dumars approach.  Not so sure it will work, but willing to find out.  I believe Monroe wants to leave, but more importantly wants the money.  He knows that he will be blasted if he stays and gets max deal b/c Dre will be continue to take his points and rebounds (bc he is superior).  Monroe just last year has finally been hitting his mid-range shot.  About freakin' time!  Not giving up on Monroe, however, would much rather have Smith due to athleticism.  I think Smith would be a different person with a better PG and coach.  

I've made the case for keeping Monroe, but there is a HUGE case for NOT keeping Monroe!

In a lot of ways, the Pistons have pioneered the stretch 4! Laims playing stretch 4 as Buddha played center, and Sheed was a deadly stretch 4 with Ben as center, our greatest success has come with a stretch big man!

The reason a stretch big man is so desired is because of the flexibility it delivers! Let's look at why Monroe limits the offense.

KCP is a scorer, but we forced him into being a 3pt floor spreader because there no room down low for him to do what he's good at. Even if they didn't have Josh, which made a bad situation worse, spacing with both Monroe & Dre would be difficult.

Enter a stretch 4, and all of a sudden you have a player that has to be respected on the perimeter, and magically, your floor spreading guards also have open lanes to the basket to balance their scoring and break down defenses.

Yes Monroe got better in the midrange, but he'd have to get a hell of a lot better to get enough respect to draw out the defense. So that coupled with the very real physical weaknesses that Monroe has, will limit him in the future. If he could replace Duncan in the Spurs offense, his lack of athleticism wouldn't be a problem, but there aren't many teams like that.

So what I'm doing is making tradeoffs. Josh or Monroe? I can see how we win with either, but one is likely going at some point, and I tend to like size & youth at the 4, all things being somewhat equal!

Lastly, Don believes that almost all of the current players are low IQ. I agree that it appears that way, but appearances can be deceiving.

IMO, some of them are making tradeoffs that make them look dumb, but if the incentives were changed and if more of the team bought in to a system, they'd look a lot higher IQ!

I'm saying that to say that we have some REALLY good players here already, but we need a culture change, some true player leadership emerge, and some better outside & FT shooting(tall orders).

So the tradeoff between what Don is saying & what I'm saying is this. Don says to change the culture we need to change the players, which is one way. I think that the change starts at the top to create an environment that fosters the right behavior in addition to adding high IQ players. Two ways to solve the problem, and likely the solution lies somewhere in the middle!
Sorry Oracle but it all starts with the players in the NBA Oracle. The players last season created their culture which is something I could not identify with. In high school and college, players have to fit the system that the coaching staff creates. College coaches go out and find players that fit they system and mindset. However, what you are saying might be partly true on some NBA teams like the Spurs although if you listen to their coach, he gives all the credit to Tim Duncan. Still there would be no way that the Spurs organization would have signed Josh Smith, Monroe, Jennings, Bynum or Stuckey. The highest paid players on the Pistons set the culture last season. They were Smith, Jennings, Charlie V and Stuckey. Monroe is a guy who just shows up some of the time it seems. He is extremely passive. SVG has figured out who he wants to keep on this current roster. He wants to set a new culture but knows that he must bring in the right players to lead the team the right way. I think we can sit back and enjoy the ride because SVG will not tolerate what went on last season. But it might take time to move those players who will never fit his style or system. I like SVG and Mr. Brower. They are not fools and know what works and what will never work. This creation by Joe Dumars is going down fast.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Miami

Post  Sparma Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Probably Kyle Lowry on the way to Miami, Fennis, or possibly Melo. Wade likely will get less per year, but possibly a bigger total amount of money, spread out over more years. LeBron and Bosh likely sign, maybe a bit shy of max contracts once the dust has settled. Unless your pulling our legs, Fennis -- you may have a better prediction.

Can't remember the (Florida?) commentator who thought Monroe would be the Heat's most likely FA signing, so maybe that's next to deal with.

I still like Dinwiddie as an addition to the Pistons, but I'm not sure we're all involved in the same competition.

Fennis Dembo wrote:Attention everyone on this site:

What is going on in Miami?  It's like, would the last player out of the arena turn out the lights and lock the door.  What are the "Big Three" doing?  Is everybody jumping off a sinking ship or is this just a tactic to get Riley to get more talent?  Shocked
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 18 Empty Does anybody know what is going on in Miami?

Post  Fennis Dembo Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:30 pm

What is going on in Miami?  It's like, would the last player out of the arena turn out the lights and lock the door.  What are the "Big Three" doing?  Is everybody jumping off a sinking ship or is this just a tactic to get Riley to get more talent?  Shocked

Fennis Dembo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next