Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
merc
Sissy1946
FlyDog
Phil-Good
WTF
Sebastian
cool breeze
lemonpen
Go Stones!
deusXango
14 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Stuckey

Post  Oracle Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:44 am

I share Don & DX's overall feelings on Stuckey, but not their conclusion.

I was a Stuckey fan because he displayed a solid PG attitude, and then showed he could be a potential star! Unfortunately, his trip to stardom got derailed!

But the talent is still there, sitting untapped, it's mostly a problem between Stuckey's head than physical talent.

In that sense Stuckey & Knight are twins! Neither is the type of PG that you immediately recognize, but each has something "Different" about them, that if harnessed correctly will produce a very good player.

Just like CV, Stuckey can either become a HUGE part of this team or fade into the woodwork!

If you're a Piston fan, you have to be rooting for BOTH Stuckey & CV to have breakout seasons, because if that happens, we're a top 5/6 seed that could get to the 2nd round!

Last edited by Oracle on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty I'm Just Reflecting On Those Debate Of Old

Post  WTF Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:34 am

DX people weren't making just a comparison in skills and talent they were thinking that Stuckey would magically follow a similar path of success.  There were Knuckle-Heads like Sour Pee Boy that proclaimed Stuckey was better and agreed strongly with the trading of CB.facepalm   

Stuckey couldn't have much better than LB himself live and in person but he has 2 students under LB to mold him into that player Joe thought he could become.  We saw the potential his rookie year under Flip and with CB still in the fold so I'm not surprise with the endorsements Stuckey has received from both Joe and Cheeks.  

I wasn't the biggest Stuckey fan but I would be lying if I said he doesn't still have the potential to turn his career around this season.  It's up to him, he's in a contract year and how he plays could make a difference of him playing after this season for $10 Million or someone's MLE.  I'm sure his agents in is ear on that one:lol):  I know I picked Drummond as the surprise player this season but I had 2 players running a close second Stuckey and Charlie, both players who will be playing for their contract lives this season.lol 

Sure we could start KCP and maybe we should because if Burke starts in Utah and KCP is grabbing pine it won't be pretty.  But I won't conclude that KCP should start over Stuckey just yet, we will all see come pre-season how this back-court mess will play itself out.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Head scratcher #99

Post  deusXango Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 am

Wise, why are there always comparisons made about Chauncey and Stuckey, other than they both played for the Pistons? Stuckey did not come into the league with the talent Chauncey had, nor has he had or will have, a basketball guru who teaches strong guard play, like Larry Brown. Every time I hear that comparison I feel like puking, because Chauncey was a MVP on a world championship team and Stuckey will never duplicate rising to that level, even if he plays for 20 years!! That's my negative prediction for the day.

Cheeks just arrived in Detroit, but he has his eye on Stuckey as the potential leader of this team? How'd that happen? Did he arrive at that conclusion on his own? Certainly Joe had nothing to do with influencing his decision; did he? Joe will still shoot himself in the foot, if given half a chance, i.e. resigning Bynum before he was done bargaining with Billups. Why would he do that?

After watching Caldwell-Pope fight his way through the rookie jitters during Summer League, all while playing aggressive defense, why isn't he receiving more consideration for a starting role? Wouldn't putting him on the floor with Jennings, Monroe, Smith, and Drummond make it easier for him to become acclimated to the NBA? That piece about a rookie shouldn't/can't start is a bunch of crap; with the newness of our team he should fit right in. If Jennings is a weak defender, shouldn't he be paired with a defensively strong SG in the backcourt?

Now that there's room on the roster for Peyton Siva, will Joe finally sign him? The last year "Old Ben" Wallace played for the Pistons, he was the best interior defender we had; can't he be signed as the 3rd string center and that move be viewed as an upgrade? Wouldn't it make more sense than Bynum?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Don You Kill Me

Post  WTF Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:53 pm

No matter how you try to shape it Knight was the worst combo guard at either position last season. There is a reason why Knight got traded and why so much talk has been placed on Stuckey by both Cheeks and Joe.

I don't think anyone will conclude that Stuckey has had a stellar season the past 3 seasons but he is far more closer to becoming a PG much in the way of CB.

Boy I can recall when many was making the argument for Stuckey that it would take him 6 seasons with all the Billups comparisons. Well here we are year 6 lol 

Back to Knight. His biggest issue was all of his Brain Farts on the court in doing the basic things and his inability to lead on the court.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Go Stones! wrote:What if Joe D trades Stuckey?  And/Or there is a significant injury to Billups or Jennings?  

My thought is that Stuckey is gone within the first 15-20 games of the season...similar to Billups back in the day when he was traded for AI.

I still think that Gay (or another SF with 17M contract) will be on the team shortly after the start of the season...or possibly at the trade deadline.  Why?  Joe D wants to attract the right person for next year's free agent market (similar to how the Rockets made moves so the team looked attractive by adding Harden to get Howard on board).

Other fans are seeing much more in Bynum than I have seen Go Stones. If injuries do occur and the Pistons are forced to play Bynum a lot, then Detroit will lose more games. Bynum cannot play defense and he cannot play point guard. He likes to dribble and penetrate when there is no lane. He had several assists to Drummond early on when Drummond started playing and now fans really believe that Bynum is a point guard. He was a 2 guard in college because he had no idea as to how to play point guard. His idea way back then was to dribble and shoot the ball. So he was moved to the 2 and then lost his playing time because he couldn't guard anyone. His game is still very much the same and other teams who have bothered to scout the Pistons were able to shut down the Piston offense when Will was on the floor. Bynum is on the team because the owner believe he is still insurance in case the team doesn't pan out well. Bynum can come to the rescue as the circus act. But he is not in the same class as a Nate Robinson as a small player. Nate can play defense really well and has made a fool out of Bynum many times in the past. So there is really no good reason why Dumars signed him other than the circus act thing.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Stone's Quiz

Post  WTF Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Go Stones! wrote:Who do you think will be the biggest surprise? Drummond My gut say's he'll lead the league in rebounding and blocks

Who do you think will be the biggest disappointment? I honestly can't say but if I had to pick it would be JJ or Singler because on will likely ride the pine quite a bit

What do you think Cheeks' starting line-up will be for the first game...assuming no other changes? Jennings, Stuckey, Smith, Monroe and Drummond
Who starts in the doghouse? No one really Cheeks not that kind of coach

What is the biggest competition for playing time (starting or backup time)?Provided no changes I'll have to say at both guard positions Provided Stuckey and Pope isn't headed to Boston soon
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 pm

deusXango wrote:
Murph wrote:
cool breeze wrote:
dX last season Stuckey was not good enough to make the starting lineup. I know you are not a Stuckey fan either but whenever I read anything about wiping the slate clean for a certain player over and over I get pissed. When Prince was playing for the Pistons Kyle Singler beat everyone out for the starting job. That was no fluke. Somehow because Cheeks has told Rodney he needs to become a leader, everyone has forgotten the fact that Stuckey was not good enough to start at either the 1 or the 2. If Cheeks doesn't review all the game tapes from last season to get a true picture of which players showed up to play, then he should be fired before he starts the season. I am worried about his statement about Stuckey because it tells me he doesn't know much about the players at all and is favoring certain players over others before training camp begins.  If I were now the coach of the Pistons, I would be trying to gather as much information as possible by watching the game film. Maybe he is listening to Joe Dumars who obviously couldn't have been paying much attention to the team last season or he wouldn't have signed Bynum again. Sorry but I still have zero confidence in Detroit's management team from the top to bottom. We have had some lucky draft picks lately with Monroe and Drummond but that is as far as it goes until I see what happens this season. Everyone can say what they want to but Kyle Singler is a smart player who always shows up and does what his coaching staff asks of him. He studies the match ups before games and listens to the coaches in practice. Has Stuckey ever done that? No he hasn't and that is why so many different coaching staffs have placed Rodney on the bench at the start of the game. His poor outside shooting and decision making skills along with his moody play on defense has caused him to get on the bad side of coaches. What I get upset about is the fact that every summer it seems that management and the fans forget Stuckey's history and place him right up there as a starter. What is it about this spell that Stuckey puts on people in the off season??? What ever happened to earning your spot on a team? Singler has beat everyone out at both the 3 and 2 last season in his rookie season of all things. Granted he needs to show improvement of his outside shooting but the coach needs to create at least one play for him as well. And what he brings on defense is outstanding. Few fans like him but me and my personal friends who know basketball. Is it because he played at Duke? Remember Singler was voted MVP of his NCAA championship team in college. He could play any position on the court in college. Opposing coaches feared him far more than Irving in his senior year. He covers for others mistakes on defense all last season but nobody noticed including it seems our new coach. Has any other player on the Piston team done any of that stuff? Well good luck if the coach plays retarded defenders this year Piston fans. Could it be that Dumars has instructed his new coach to play Stuckey regardless of how he plays so he can be traded before Feb? That goes against any justice that one can look for in life. A business decision for the good of the franchise. The ends justifies the means. Welcome to a new George Orwell novel. Somehow Dumars will have to give away Singler before training camp so there will be no discussion about this subject. So far I have seen two players who have a high basketball IQ on this Piston team. One is Kyle Singler and the other is our unsigned point guard taken in the 2nd round of the last draft. You can't win playing guys who can't think on the court and hate to play defense can you???

Don...I'm not sure why you are directing all this hate toward Stuckey.  He obviously had nothing to do with Joe dumping Brandon Knight and acquiring Brandon Jennings.  And in fact, Stuckey had nothing to do with Knight's inability to take care of the ball and run an offense, either.  And in fact, Knight was handed the PG position in Detroit, and if he had been a competent PG, he'd still be starting here.

And over the course of their careers, Stuckey has produced much more on the court than Knight, and the Pistons have performed much better when Stuckey ran the point, than with Knight at the point, although it's true they had different supporting personnel.

I understand your frustration at the Pistons acquisition of Jennings, and while I never understood your attachment to Knight...I think it's painfully obvious that Stuckey had nothing to do with the Jennings acquisition or Knight's failure.
Murph, good googley moogley, where exactly in Don's post did he mention Knight's name once?! Okay, if you can't find it, then when did he mention Jennings??!! All I read was him distancing himself as far away from being a Stuckey apologist as possible, and I don't blame him! The cheap smokescreen that's been used lately is to compare Stuckey to Knight; a kid!! The record shows that when the reigns of leadership of this team was handed over to Stuckey, it got worse each year, and his game, as an individual, didn't improve one iota. Compare him to whomever you want, but who's been a Piston over the last six years and started at PG, SG, and SF, without any outstanding results, but now we're talking about him as a reclamation project. A RECLAMATION PROJECT PROJECTED TO BE IN THE STARTING LINEUP BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN BEGINS??!!! If that's not bias bullsh!t, I don't know what is. "He's got to have the ball in his hands;" to do what exactly? Make the players around him better? Direct an efficient offense? Is he now free to be the #1 gun and go to guy? Is Monroe, Smith, Jennings, and yes, Caldwell-Pope to line their skillsets up behind Stuckey's so he can keep the ball in his hands? The bottom line and simple truth is, Stuckey's been a failure, for the opportunity's he's been given, and for fans to go on about wiping the slate clean, or giving him still another chance, or maybe this is the year because of this or that, need to quit! We've got talent that needs to gel, and the new coach needs to fit the workable pieces together for maximum effect; Stuckey doesn't belong in the starting lineup, and maybe not in the rotation. Stuckey needs to be traded before the start of training camp, so this team can move forward.  

dX well said. What bothers me a lot is what Cheeks was quoted as saying to Stuckey that he needs to become a team leader. That shows me that Cheeks hasn't done his homework at all or he would keep his trap shut this early on as head coach. He didn't mention any of the other players who might be a good team leader just Stuckey. And many of us who have watched all the games put Stuckey on the bench starting out based on past performance. We now have much more talent and Stuckey couldn't stand out playing with limited talent. If Stuckey were as good as some fans, Dumars and now Cheeks have him identified as, then on a bad team Stuckey should have averaged 38 minutes a game and scored an average of 22 points a game. We won't count the steals he should have had on those bad teams. But the fact is that Stuckey couldn't stand out on extremely bad teams for 4 years straight. Now Stuckey is in his contract season and will have to play hard. Why would anyone give such a player so much attention? Now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon poking holes in Knight's ability yet they are dreaming of the season opener when Stuckey can finally show everyone that he has game. dX you pointed out that Stuckey has never shown any improvement in any part of his game since the day he arrived as a number one pick. What does that tell Piston fans? That tells me that Stuckey had no interest in working at all on improving himself as a player.

So now Cheeks wants a guy who never believed in working hard in the off season to become a team leader? Cheeks comments were nothing other than stupid. At least Knight worked his ass off last summer because he stated that he wanted to become a better defender. And he did it but Cheeks didn't notice because he had to be in agreement with Dumars to trade the 21 year old Knight. Maybe Jennings is a better point guard right now but that has nothing to do with the emotions I have for the game and why I follow the Pistons. Why do I like Knight so much? He is the kind of guy I would love to play basketball with and practice with or to be able to coach him. His emotions on the court shows me he cares. He has always been a great man on and off the court so he would be a great friend to have personally if I were lucky enough to be working with him. Knight is a guy like others who I have pulled for as a player and coach. Those kind of players are usually on winning teams in the end. Many others like Stuckey that I have known in the past are not really interesting to follow at all. Like I said before, Stuckey will pull out all the stops this season because he is forced to do it in order to get a new contract. Who cares? He hasn't shown anyone that he has cared about the Pistons for the past 4 years. But now he is going to be the team leader according to Cheeks who must have been asleep for that same amount of time. Is that the kind of player that Cheeks likes to bond with? He never approached the game the same way that Stuckey has so what in hell is the attraction?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Why Bynum is on the team...one possibility

Post  Go Stones! Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:00 pm

What if Joe D trades Stuckey? And/Or there is a significant injury to Billups or Jennings?

My thought is that Stuckey is gone within the first 15-20 games of the season...similar to Billups back in the day when he was traded for AI.

I still think that Gay (or another SF with 17M contract) will be on the team shortly after the start of the season...or possibly at the trade deadline. Why? Joe D wants to attract the right person for next year's free agent market (similar to how the Rockets made moves so the team looked attractive by adding Harden to get Howard on board).
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty One fans opinion

Post  deusXango Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:33 am

Go Stones! wrote:Who do you think will be the biggest surprise?
I think that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will be the biggest and most pleasant surprise as he vies for ROY honors; all he's going to need is a chance (that a #8 lottery pick deserves coming onto a 29 win team), and the absence of nostalgia (Billups or Stuckey) playing in front of him. Ask yourselves this; would Ben McLemore or Trey Burke be an after-thought if we drafted either of them? Joe didn't make a mistake with this pick!

Who do you think will be the biggest disappointment?
If Rodney Stuckey is not traded before the season begins, this ignoble honor goes to him; his diva like, spoiled view of what he means to this team and attitude of intolerance and indifference, when things don't go his way, will conspire to bring out a non-productive Stuckey we've yet to see. If he pouted because he wasn't featured on a loosing team, what will he do when this group begins to function smoothly without him playing a vital role? Sorry Sebastian.

What do you think Cheeks' starting line-up will be for the first game...assuming no other changes?
PG-Jennings: He was brought in to start...the best PG on the team.
SG-Singler: Going into his sophomore season with more starting experience than anyone on the team at SG, why not?
SF-Smith: This is where we begin to see that a 225 lb. PF is better suited to play SF.
PF-Monroe: To everyone's amazement, the Moose can start at PF and play with Smith and Drummond, without spacing being a problem.
C- Drummond: What we've all waited for, but he won't be a 32-36 minute a night guy.

Who starts in the doghouse?
I thought "doghouse" was a term used for players who were out of the coaches favor because of non-performance, not getting DNPCD's because of the numbers game, anyway, J.J., Bynum, Mitchell, Villanueva, and quite possibly Stuckey, will be the towel wavers.

What is the biggest competition for playing time (starting or backup time)?
KCP, Stuckey, and Billups to unseat Singler as the starting SG, and CV, Mitchell, and J.J. for backup time.
After saying all that, the potential for a highly competitive rotation is there, and we'll be more exciting and entertaining than we have been for years!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Training Camp Questions...

Post  Sebastian Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am

Go Stones! wrote:Who do you think will be the biggest surprise?

What do you think Cheeks' starting line-up will be for the first game...assuming no other changes?

Interesting questions and tough, too, Stones.

Who do you think will be the biggest surprise?
A: Stuckey. After pondering this question, I thought it can only be Stuckey. Pretty much everyone else will do what is expected of them. If Stuckey plays with a greater sense of engagement and passion, he could really turns some heads. WE all know what this guy can do, when he plays like he means it. I know DX is not going want to read this, but this time around Stuckey is playing with some ballers, so he will be more engaged. Oh, and it is a contract year!

A: Gores. WE've all been hoping that Gores would step-up his look. This will not happen. OUR Pistons will be winning more games, next season, and OUR Pistons will be on TV more, becoming a League Pass "must see" squad, and the national NBA sports media and fans will think that Neill Diamond is the owner of the Pistons. WE will see more of Tom Gores, this season folks.

A: B. Jennings (PG), Chauncey (SG), J-Smooth (SF), Moose (PF/C), Dre Drummond (PF/C).

B. Jennings will be OUR starting PG. The guy has started, since coming to the NBA, didn't start very many games during his single year in Italy (Europe). At 24, with a new contract and as good as he is, oh he's the starting PG.

Just like Chauncey said when he was in L.A., he started as a SG because he was playing with the best PG in the League. Well, now, Chauncey is playing with at this point in his career, probably the 16th best PG in the League, and yes Chauncey, you will be OUR starting SG on opening night, if all things remain the same as they are today. Chauncey will need to get out on the floor, early, remember he will be 37 when the season starts and he has had a number of lower body injuries, in the most recent 3 years. Do you guys remember all of the hamstring issues that he had during the last 2-3 years that he wore the Pistons #1 jersey?

J-Smoove is going to finally play where he belongs, at the SF position. Fans will notice that he has lost a few .lbs that will help him even more with his quickness and second jump capabilities; and he has always been able to guard any of the elite SFs in the League. He will finish a lot of breaks. His jumper will be more selective, making him a more efficient player. I would like to see improve his free throw shooting. Perhaps, less time banging with larger-sized PF will help to improve his FT %, as he may have the legs and stamina to shoot a better percentage. Josh Smith will become more perimeter orientated, both defensively and offensively.

Moose (PF/C) and Dre Drummond (PF/C). This will be a starting tandem that will f@ck teams up. These guys will play like Olajuwon and Otis Thorpe. They will punish teams early. WE will get into the penalty, early, in quarters of games when these two are in the game. There will a lot of below the foul line buckets and assists. Moose and Dre will make Marc Gasol and Z-Bo look like toys.

A: Will B. and Charlie V. Like most, I have been puzzled, as to why Will B. was resigned. He is a duplication of Stuckey and if Chauncey is able to play 25 minutes per night without getting hurt Will B. will have a difficult time seeing the floor. Charlie V. is only cap space for the summer of '14. If he plays anything like he has in the pass with the shiftlessness posture, 'Sheed and Chauncey will see to it that he never, ever sees the floor.

A: I think that the competition will be intense at the back-up SF position between: Linguine, Singler, Jerebko, and Mitchell.

Last edited by Sebastian on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty 6th Man...

Post  Go Stones! Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:14 am

Sebastian wrote:I think B. Knight will be just find, if he first realizes one important reality about the current NBA:

There are about 20 PGs that are better at being PGs than B. Knight will be next year. I'll work up a list and include it in a subsequent post. But off the top of my head, the list includes guys from Paul to Vasquez to Teague, who are instinctively better at those set of skills than is the one Brandon Knight.

B. Knight's strengths are best realized, cast as a 6th-man. There is no shame playing in this role. Coaches that employ a 6th-man concept/role in their schemes can only do it when there is a player on the roster who possess the requisite skill-set.

If Larry Drew uses B. Knight as a 6th-man, he can provide an altered pace, he's a leader, he can play heavy minutes, the "young starting PG" comparison would cease because he want be starting. Let's be real, the guy can play, he's a good shooter, finishes well at the basket, a very good free-throw shooter, and still young.

I think B. Knight can easily become a consecutive 6th-man candidate for remainder of his career. I see the kid averaging, every night, for a good portion of his career: 19 pts., 5 assist., 3 rebs., and a steal. And lets we forget, B. Knight is a good kid. Smart, articulate, and confident.

This was a good trade for both, players and teams.

You bring up a good point. I think on the Bucks team and the Pistons last year that Knight was of starting caliber. The future Piston's teams would have Knight as a 6th man.

This brings me to a new, but related, subject. A past trade that I think really correlates well is Stackhouse for RIP. Stack was good, but he just didn't quite make the team better when on the floor. RIP allowed more of a team. I think everyone thinks of that trade as very good for the Pistons. I think Knight for Jennings will be similar (fingers crossed). The only question I would have is if Jennings ends up being TO, Rodman (post Pistons), Metta World Peace or some other wack-job. Stackhouse ended up being a 6th man for Mavs for quite a few years and really succeeded in the role. Knight = Stackhouse, good player, but just not starting caliber on a very good team. Also, not a bad back-up in case of an injury too.
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty B. Knight's future ...?

Post  Sebastian Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 am

I think B. Knight will be just find, if he first realizes one important reality about the current NBA:

There are about 20 PGs that are better at being PGs than B. Knight will be next year. I'll work up a list and include it in a subsequent post. But off the top of my head, the list includes guys from Paul to Vasquez to Teague, who are instinctively better at those set of skills than is the one Brandon Knight.

B. Knight's strengths are best realized, cast as a 6th-man. There is no shame playing in this role. Coaches that employ a 6th-man concept/role in their schemes can only do it when there is a player on the roster who possess the requisite skill-set.

If Larry Drew uses B. Knight as a 6th-man, he can provide an altered pace, he's a leader, he can play heavy minutes, the "young starting PG" comparison would cease because he want be starting. Let's be real, the guy can play, he's a good shooter, finishes well at the basket, a very good free-throw shooter, and still young.

I think B. Knight can easily become a consecutive 6th-man candidate for remainder of his career. I see the kid averaging, every night, for a good portion of his career: 19 pts., 5 assist., 3 rebs., and a steal. And lets we forget, B. Knight is a good kid. Smart, articulate, and confident.

This was a good trade for both, players and teams.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty PGs for what it's worth

Post  merc Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:59 am

It's great to see all of the input on the PG comparisons... we're just plain spoiled after having Zeke & a young Chauncey... but this is a new era with many new variables... I never felt like Knight had the vision or soft touch to be a facilitator... I do think that he'll continue to improve his outside shot and will demand attention (opening up the lanes).
To be brutally honest Jennings has been an inefficient chucker to-date.. yet all of the inherent skills are in place... this will be the story of the year for our team... no matter how well our front line performs they still need someone willing and able to find them in their sweet spots.
BJ (sorry) isn't in a contract year... after 4 years in the league he may be open to proven mentors that have experienced success... the Bucks frankly did not have a front line worth distributing to... we're about to find out how tough a leader Mo Cheeks is... when the shot selection is bad will he pull Jennings in favor of [insert random name]... at least Bynum finds his bigs around the rim.
Been doing a little research on our new addition... the first thing that caught my attention was that he was well spoken for a kid that skipped college... he shoots a higher volume than you'd like to see from your floor leader... not a great finisher around the paint but has a nice floater (something we've been lacking)... every scout says he sees the court well and can drop a dime on the money.
I'm more concerned about defending the big guards in our division.

Bottom line... this team is worth watching again.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty How Is This Stuckey's Fault?

Post  deusXango Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:18 am

Murph wrote:
cool breeze wrote:
dX last season Stuckey was not good enough to make the starting lineup. I know you are not a Stuckey fan either but whenever I read anything about wiping the slate clean for a certain player over and over I get pissed. When Prince was playing for the Pistons Kyle Singler beat everyone out for the starting job. That was no fluke. Somehow because Cheeks has told Rodney he needs to become a leader, everyone has forgotten the fact that Stuckey was not good enough to start at either the 1 or the 2. If Cheeks doesn't review all the game tapes from last season to get a true picture of which players showed up to play, then he should be fired before he starts the season. I am worried about his statement about Stuckey because it tells me he doesn't know much about the players at all and is favoring certain players over others before training camp begins.  If I were now the coach of the Pistons, I would be trying to gather as much information as possible by watching the game film. Maybe he is listening to Joe Dumars who obviously couldn't have been paying much attention to the team last season or he wouldn't have signed Bynum again. Sorry but I still have zero confidence in Detroit's management team from the top to bottom. We have had some lucky draft picks lately with Monroe and Drummond but that is as far as it goes until I see what happens this season. Everyone can say what they want to but Kyle Singler is a smart player who always shows up and does what his coaching staff asks of him. He studies the match ups before games and listens to the coaches in practice. Has Stuckey ever done that? No he hasn't and that is why so many different coaching staffs have placed Rodney on the bench at the start of the game. His poor outside shooting and decision making skills along with his moody play on defense has caused him to get on the bad side of coaches. What I get upset about is the fact that every summer it seems that management and the fans forget Stuckey's history and place him right up there as a starter. What is it about this spell that Stuckey puts on people in the off season??? What ever happened to earning your spot on a team? Singler has beat everyone out at both the 3 and 2 last season in his rookie season of all things. Granted he needs to show improvement of his outside shooting but the coach needs to create at least one play for him as well. And what he brings on defense is outstanding. Few fans like him but me and my personal friends who know basketball. Is it because he played at Duke? Remember Singler was voted MVP of his NCAA championship team in college. He could play any position on the court in college. Opposing coaches feared him far more than Irving in his senior year. He covers for others mistakes on defense all last season but nobody noticed including it seems our new coach. Has any other player on the Piston team done any of that stuff? Well good luck if the coach plays retarded defenders this year Piston fans. Could it be that Dumars has instructed his new coach to play Stuckey regardless of how he plays so he can be traded before Feb? That goes against any justice that one can look for in life. A business decision for the good of the franchise. The ends justifies the means. Welcome to a new George Orwell novel. Somehow Dumars will have to give away Singler before training camp so there will be no discussion about this subject. So far I have seen two players who have a high basketball IQ on this Piston team. One is Kyle Singler and the other is our unsigned point guard taken in the 2nd round of the last draft. You can't win playing guys who can't think on the court and hate to play defense can you???

Don...I'm not sure why you are directing all this hate toward Stuckey.  He obviously had nothing to do with Joe dumping Brandon Knight and acquiring Brandon Jennings.  And in fact, Stuckey had nothing to do with Knight's inability to take care of the ball and run an offense, either.  And in fact, Knight was handed the PG position in Detroit, and if he had been a competent PG, he'd still be starting here.

And over the course of their careers, Stuckey has produced much more on the court than Knight, and the Pistons have performed much better when Stuckey ran the point, than with Knight at the point, although it's true they had different supporting personnel.

I understand your frustration at the Pistons acquisition of Jennings, and while I never understood your attachment to Knight...I think it's painfully obvious that Stuckey had nothing to do with the Jennings acquisition or Knight's failure.
Murph, good googley moogley, where exactly in Don's post did he mention Knight's name once?! Okay, if you can't find it, then when did he mention Jennings??!! All I read was him distancing himself as far away from being a Stuckey apologist as possible, and I don't blame him! The cheap smokescreen that's been used lately is to compare Stuckey to Knight; a kid!! The record shows that when the reigns of leadership of this team was handed over to Stuckey, it got worse each year, and his game, as an individual, didn't improve one iota. Compare him to whomever you want, but who's been a Piston over the last six years and started at PG, SG, and SF, without any outstanding results, but now we're talking about him as a reclamation project. A RECLAMATION PROJECT PROJECTED TO BE IN THE STARTING LINEUP BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN BEGINS??!!! If that's not bias bullsh!t, I don't know what is. "He's got to have the ball in his hands;" to do what exactly? Make the players around him better? Direct an efficient offense? Is he now free to be the #1 gun and go to guy? Is Monroe, Smith, Jennings, and yes, Caldwell-Pope to line their skillsets up behind Stuckey's so he can keep the ball in his hands? The bottom line and simple truth is, Stuckey's been a failure, for the opportunity's he's been given, and for fans to go on about wiping the slate clean, or giving him still another chance, or maybe this is the year because of this or that, need to quit! We've got talent that needs to gel, and the new coach needs to fit the workable pieces together for maximum effect; Stuckey doesn't belong in the starting lineup, and maybe not in the rotation. Stuckey needs to be traded before the start of training camp, so this team can move forward.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Knight

Post  Sparma Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks Oracle. I agree that Knight's landed in a good spot. Hammond's on record as saying he's a point guard. That kind of public commitment to him as PG should be music to his ears. While I hear Hammond's statement falling short of guaranteeing Knight a starting PG job right away, I agree that Knight will receive ample opportunity (something that would have come into question here had he gotten off to a rocky start with the revamped team).

He's fully capable of cutting down on his TOs by cutting back on reckless passes. He also should improve on driving and dishing, a skill you can already see in incipient form. I doubt he'll ever excel at setting up the big guys (something that would have been critical with the Pistons this year), but he's already solid at finding the open guy (eg CV) on the perimeter. Shaping what's already there should lead to real improvement. A 2:1 assist to TO ratio should be attainable as he develops, which would be solid along everything he can do. He's seems like a genuinely good guy, which itself should earn him extra opportunities. I see him having a solid and long NBA career, peaking close to All Star numbers. I could see him averaging 17 ppg this season, with all of the scoring opportunities he'll have.

Of course, if Milwaukee continues to lose (as they did even last year as a playoff team) individual good numbers could be drawn into question.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Sparma

Post  Oracle Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Good catch!

I found his backing to be strange as well. It's almost like saying he's good at some things, but I know he's not good at point guard stuff right now!

Which, I guess, is mostly the truth. BK never seemed to focus on getting either right, he was playing on talent alone, and taking a lot of chances with the limits of that talent.

IMO, he's eventually going to get being a PG, but EVERYTHING works if you can get into the right situation, or force the situation to your game!

Knight lost out on running a talented team, but he lucked out in that he got sent to a team that believes in him and will give him the opportunity to make the team his own! That's not something to sneeze at, but IMO, Knight needs to turn that corner this season or he may get written off as a PG and have to become a specialist, 6th man, which isn't a kiss of death, but feels like it to young players with bigger dreams!

I'm really pulling for him, but I am thrilled about the trade because Jennings is more than a pure PG, which I don't want running our main team, he's a flashy confident PG in the mold of a Zeke type player(with lesser talent)!

But that's what we need! We need a PG that can deliver down the stretch, that can take and make the big shot, get anywhere he wants to on the court to score, or attract the defense so much that one of the bigs is open!

Jennings can do that, and the fact that it's so deeply in his comfort zone, makes this deal look genius!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Calipari & Knight

Post  Sparma Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Curious form of backing Knight by his former coach in that the Freep tells us (quotation below) that Calipari's still backing Knight and he's summarized as addressing playing point guard, but he refrains from saying Knight was, is, or will be a good PG (apart from one (dubious) component of his statement). Even as a Knight skeptic, I find myself being able to agree with just about everything that Calipari says, except for the his relevant comment about finding ways to get the ball in. Yes, all the traits he mentions would contribute to being a good NBA PG (largely in supplementary ways), but they don't get you far without traits distinctive to the position like possessing excellent court vision, demonstrating good basketball I.Q. ON THE COURT, generating a good assists to TO ratio, making teammates better, and making steady progress in these areas. So, I'm more struck by the omissions in Calipari's praise than what he does highlight. All that said, I retain the faith that BK will have a good NBA career.

"“The one thing is you have to be able to score to really play that position,” Calipari told the Pistons’ website about playing point guard. “Well, he can really score. He can shoot it. He finds ways to get the ball in.”

Calipari said he talked to Pistons coach Maurice Cheeks before the trade and reiterated about Knight’s work ethic.

“I just told those guys, ‘There’s no one that’s going to outwork him, no one that’s going to spend more time, no one that’s going to be on top of preparation and the knowledge of what he needs and what he has to have than Brandon,’ “ Calipari said."

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty The Stones Quiz...

Post  Oracle Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Who do you think will be the biggest surprise? Jennings, Smith, Bynum

Who do you think will be the biggest disappointment? Cheeks(at least early on)

What do you think Cheeks' starting line-up will be for the first game...assuming no other changes? Jennings, Chauncey, Smith, Monroe, Drummond, KCP hasn't earned it yet

Who starts in the doghouse? JJ, only because he may not get any PT

What is the biggest competition for playing time (starting or backup time)? JJ, Singler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jennings may be better than advertised with this much talent around him! Knight is going to be a VERY good player, but was never projected to be a star, although it's possible. Jennings is already a 2nd tier star who's looking to break into the real star territory... he gets there or gets a lot closer with this team!

Smith will surprise at how well he fits in and how effective he will be on defense! BTW, take a gander at some of that defense, and shockingly, he doesn't foul!

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  lemonpen Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Go Stones! wrote:
Go Stones! wrote:Who do you think will be the biggest surprise? Jennings

Who do you think will be the biggest disappointment? Billups (unfairly we will desire 2004 Billlups and he won't deliver)

Billups PG, Stuckey SG, Singler SF, Smith PF, Monroe C  Remember this is for the first game...I think Cheeks may want Singler's energy initially, but Drummond's energy to exhaust the other team's bigs.  Jennings will have to earn the PG duties after he falls in line.  Anyone who has kids knows that you don't just give stuff to them, but reward them for being good and acknowledging that you are in charge.  Very important point! Stuckey will start and MCP and/or Billups will be bumping him...remember if we are looking at trading him it would be nice to say that he was our "starting SG".  It is key that we have many options and dual positions for each player (Smith, Monroe, Singler, Stuckey)

Who starts in the doghouse?  Bynum

What is the biggest competition for playing time (starting or backup time)? Stuckey and Billups and MCP  

Who will see DNPs? Silva (assumption that he will be added) and JJ (CV will be used for his "stretch 4" skills)

Do you think we will entertain picking up Slava once he is waived?  I wonder if this was part of the deal...  

No doubt. In both cases.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  Go Stones! Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Go Stones! wrote:Who do you think will be the biggest surprise? Jennings

Who do you think will be the biggest disappointment? Billups (unfairly we will desire 2004 Billlups and he won't deliver)

Billups PG, Stuckey SG, Singler SF, Smith PF, Monroe C Remember this is for the first game...I think Cheeks may want Singler's energy initially, but Drummond's energy to exhaust the other team's bigs. Jennings will have to earn the PG duties after he falls in line. Anyone who has kids knows that you don't just give stuff to them, but reward them for being good and acknowledging that you are in charge. Very important point! Stuckey will start and MCP and/or Billups will be bumping him...remember if we are looking at trading him it would be nice to say that he was our "starting SG". It is key that we have many options and dual positions for each player (Smith, Monroe, Singler, Stuckey)

Who starts in the doghouse?  Bynum

What is the biggest competition for playing time (starting or backup time)? Stuckey and Billups and MCP  

Who will see DNPs? Silva (assumption that he will be added) and JJ (CV will be used for his "stretch 4" skills)

Do you think we will entertain picking up Slava once he is waived? I wonder if this was part of the deal...
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Training Camp Questions...

Post  Go Stones! Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Who do you think will be the biggest surprise?

Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty How Is This Stuckey's Fault?

Post  Murph Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:59 pm

cool breeze wrote:
deusXango wrote:I can't wait for training camp to begin for a number of reasons, one being, our roster should be set for this season by then, another is, we'll begin to get a better feel for Mo Cheeks as a coach.
I'm eager to see how Smith and Jennings meet the local press and respond to the negative concerns surrounding their games, and more importantly, how they'll address these issues on the court.
That fire in KCP's belly during Summer League should be hopefully stoked and he impresses us all (we desperately need a real SG, not a made up one); I'm curious if Cheeks will give him PT in the backcourt with Jennings, or will the mainstay in the Pistons starting lineup, Rodney Stuckey, get the nod, like he's done with every coach that's come through here. I'm beginning to think that's a part of the criteria for being hired; "you must include Rodney in the starting lineup...you okay with that?"
I want to see Gigi shoot the ball, but more importantly, I want to see if he can play "D" with the big boys. I want to see Mitchell go against NBA pros in pre-season, and I want to see Siva in a Pistons uniform by then.
I want to hear Joe D tell the world that it's basketball stupid to trade quality big men, and that he's really not stupid; Monroe, Smith, and Drummond are here to stay; he learned his lesson when he allowed Ben to get away and not be able to play the Wallace's with McDyess on the same frontline. "You don't trade big men for little men," period! We've not mentioned Chris Paul or Deron Williams, so we need to move on from the trade Monroe for..........*
I'm ready for some basketball!!!

Murph

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:24 pm

deusXango wrote:I can't wait for training camp to begin for a number of reasons, one being, our roster should be set for this season by then, another is, we'll begin to get a better feel for Mo Cheeks as a coach.
I'm eager to see how Smith and Jennings meet the local press and respond to the negative concerns surrounding their games, and more importantly, how they'll address these issues on the court.
That fire in KCP's belly during Summer League should be hopefully stoked and he impresses us all (we desperately need a real SG, not a made up one); I'm curious if Cheeks will give him PT in the backcourt with Jennings, or will the mainstay in the Pistons starting lineup, Rodney Stuckey, get the nod, like he's done with every coach that's come through here. I'm beginning to think that's a part of the criteria for being hired; "you must include Rodney in the starting lineup...you okay with that?"
I want to see Gigi shoot the ball, but more importantly, I want to see if he can play "D" with the big boys. I want to see Mitchell go against NBA pros in pre-season, and I want to see Siva in a Pistons uniform by then.
I want to hear Joe D tell the world that it's basketball stupid to trade quality big men, and that he's really not stupid; Monroe, Smith, and Drummond are here to stay; he learned his lesson when he allowed Ben to get away and not be able to play the Wallace's with McDyess on the same frontline. "You don't trade big men for little men," period! We've not mentioned Chris Paul or Deron Williams, so we need to move on from the trade Monroe for..........*
I'm ready for some basketball!!!

dX last season Stuckey was not good enough to make the starting lineup. I know you are not a Stuckey fan either but whenever I read anything about wiping the slate clean for a certain player over and over I get pissed. When Prince was playing for the Pistons Kyle Singler beat everyone out for the starting job. That was no fluke. Somehow because Cheeks has told Rodney he needs to become a leader, everyone has forgotten the fact that Stuckey was not good enough to start at either the 1 or the 2. If Cheeks doesn't review all the game tapes from last season to get a true picture of which players showed up to play, then he should be fired before he starts the season. I am worried about his statement about Stuckey because it tells me he doesn't know much about the players at all and is favoring certain players over others before training camp begins. If I were now the coach of the Pistons, I would be trying to gather as much information as possible by watching the game film. Maybe he is listening to Joe Dumars who obviously couldn't have been paying much attention to the team last season or he wouldn't have signed Bynum again. Sorry but I still have zero confidence in Detroit's management team from the top to bottom. We have had some lucky draft picks lately with Monroe and Drummond but that is as far as it goes until I see what happens this season. Everyone can say what they want to but Kyle Singler is a smart player who always shows up and does what his coaching staff asks of him. He studies the match ups before games and listens to the coaches in practice. Has Stuckey ever done that? No he hasn't and that is why so many different coaching staffs have placed Rodney on the bench at the start of the game. His poor outside shooting and decision making skills along with his moody play on defense has caused him to get on the bad side of coaches. What I get upset about is the fact that every summer it seems that management and the fans forget Stuckey's history and place him right up there as a starter. What is it about this spell that Stuckey puts on people in the off season??? What ever happened to earning your spot on a team? Singler has beat everyone out at both the 3 and 2 last season in his rookie season of all things. Granted he needs to show improvement of his outside shooting but the coach needs to create at least one play for him as well. And what he brings on defense is outstanding. Few fans like him but me and my personal friends who know basketball. Is it because he played at Duke? Remember Singler was voted MVP of his NCAA championship team in college. He could play any position on the court in college. Opposing coaches feared him far more than Irving in his senior year. He covers for others mistakes on defense all last season but nobody noticed including it seems our new coach. Has any other player on the Piston team done any of that stuff? Well good luck if the coach plays retarded defenders this year Piston fans. Could it be that Dumars has instructed his new coach to play Stuckey regardless of how he plays so he can be traded before Feb? That goes against any justice that one can look for in life. A business decision for the good of the franchise. The ends justifies the means. Welcome to a new George Orwell novel. Somehow Dumars will have to give away Singler before training camp so there will be no discussion about this subject. So far I have seen two players who have a high basketball IQ on this Piston team. One is Kyle Singler and the other is our unsigned point guard taken in the 2nd round of the last draft. You can't win playing guys who can't think on the court and hate to play defense can you???

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty DX & Oden

Post  Oracle Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 pm

Off topic: LIONS
DX, the Lions have addressed all of those needs with varying degrees of success, but the bottom line for me is that can the coach get it done!

Like the Pistons, the Lions have gotten a lot more athletic and faster! They have that potential 3rd receiver, they have a speedy RB in Reggie Bush that can catch the ball out of the backfield(a bit plus for an outlet pass), and they added depth to the secondary, while getting another athletic freak!

Again, like the Pistons, it's playoffs or heads will roll!

On topic: Basketball
Well, Oden has chosen the Heat to revive his career! If he pans out, the Heat will remove the one glaring hole in that team, and may be unstoppable for a 3-peat!

Report: Greg Oden to sign with Miami Heat
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 26 Empty Off point, on the money

Post  deusXango Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Oracle, how are the Lions looking to you? I haven't been following the off-season progress as I usually do, so I'm lost with where they are; defensive backfield, offensive line, and that needed third WR were concerns I had.

By the way, you know I've got to ruffle your feathers from time to time; I get a real kick out of your rants. Very intellectual. lol 
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next