Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+9
WTF
Phil-Good
merc
deusXango
Murph
Fennis Dembo
Go Stones!
Sissy1946
lemonpen
13 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Roster Comparison Say's Differently

Post  WTF Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 am

Trevor Ariza SF 6-8 - Josh maybe
Carlos Arroyo PG 6-2 202 - Siva maybe
James Augustine PF 6-10 235
Keith Bogans SG 6-5 215
Brian Cook PF 6-9 234
Keyon Dooling PG 6-3 196
Maurice Evans SG 6-5 220 - KCP maybe
Adonal Foyle C 6-10 250
Pat Garrity PF 6-9 238
Marcin Gortat C 6-11 240
Dwight Howard C 6-11 240  - Andre perhaps
Rashard Lewis PF 6-10 215  
Jameer Nelson PG 6-0 190
Bo Outlaw PF 6-8 210 - Josh not really
J.J. Redick SG 6-4 190
Hedo Turkoglu PF

This is why the media needs to STFU.  Orlando won 50 games with this roster and the last I recalled we don't have players like Hedo, Lewis, Ariza, Arroyo, Evans and Reddick on our roster. So to think SVG would try to coach these players like he did in Orlando is just stupid.

Last edited by WISEFAN on Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty SVG, Roster, Dumb Ass Media Assertions

Post  WTF Wed May 14, 2014 8:54 am

Well this was somewhat of a shocking choice but I'm not complaining about it because I'm glad the Joe era has ended and the clean up process can begin now.

My hope is that SVG cleans up his act and stop looking ad dressing like a turd. Hey Stan with 7 million a year you can stop buying suits off the rack at Sears and get a good tailor.  

I have no doubt about SVG ability to coach because he gave Flip and the Pistons a run for their money in those Pistons-Orlando matchups but what I never understood about SVG was his love for J. Nelson as his starting PG the way Chauncey use to abuse him.  I also don't think he got the most out of D-Ho.

Now the media is going on about SVG style of coaching in Orlando and what fits and what doesn't in term of current players.  I'm hoping that SVG is not confined to coaching one way because a coach should be able to coach more than one system.  So yes if he's more interest in coaching the way he did in Orlando then he needs to trade more than half the roster, but if he chooses to simply coach to the talent on the team (which he should do) then he simply need to use the current players correctly.  IMO I'm not expecting SVG to try to turn the team into what he was doing in his time with Orlando.

My guess is that SVG will put Monroe in a position to excel so that means moving Andre to the bench, and I suspect he'll move Josh to the PF position and move to a more traditional offensive scheme.   Short of Andre doing the best imitation of D-Ho there is nothing about our current roster that remotely close to what SVG had in Orlando period.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty More Clippers & SVG

Post  Oracle Wed May 14, 2014 6:47 am

It was a crime that Joe didn't make a move to get Collison in here! He's better than any small guard on the roster, and while not a great point guard, he's better than the lot we have. He was just sitting there for anyone to take, and Joe liked Chauncey, Bynum & Jennings better??? What a dufus!

In this article, it looks like neither Josh or Monroe fits SVG's bill for a stretch 4, and both may need to go!

"If Stan Van Gundy wants to build a 1-in/4-out offense in Detroit, one of his first moves will be to sign-and-trade Greg Monroe.  Despite showing significant improvement in low-to-high post shooting efficiency in 2013-14, Monroe is certainly not a 3-point shooter nor does he shoot long twos.  As promising (and adored) as Monroe is, he would not fit Van Gundy's scheme, and he'd most likely be moved for a return at another position.

The problem is that the team is committed to Josh Smith for the next three seasons, and Smith's most pronounced weakness is his 3-point shooting.  Smith is averaging less than 28 percent from 3 over the last three seasons, and this sort of range would be wholly unacceptable under Van Gundy's scheme.  Perimeter shooting from the power forward is what makes the 1-in/4-out offense work.  If Smith can't do it, the whole scheme won't either.  The team would be better served (as shown in 2013-14) to prevent Smith from shooting on the perimeter entirely.  Without Monroe and with Smith, the team isn't just back to square one, it's worse off than it would be with Monroe just to satisfy Van Gundy's Orlando scheme.

For it to work, the team would have to not only part with Monroe, but also Josh Smith.  If it couldn't immediately fill the role of stretch four, playing time to Jonas Jerebko and Tony Mitchell would work while the team looks for another option.  The problem here is that there aren't any championship-caliber stretch fours available on the current market.  There rarely are." - What to expect from Stan Van Gundy's Detroit Pistons
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Clippers won't win until Chris Paul goes...

Post  Oracle Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 am

I swear, Chris Paul screws up in the 4th quarter every year and causes the Clippers to lose games that they have in the bag!

Last night plenty of goofs, but 2 down the stretch stand out.
1. All he needed to do is protect the ball and let them foul him, but noooooo, he coughs up the ball and boom, it's all but over.

2. He gets a chance to snatch victory from the draws, er., I mean jaws of defeat, and what does he do? He coughs up the ball yet again!

For a player with such great skill, it's odd! But at his age and experience, it's not likely he's going to get any better in pressure situations... EVERY freaking year this happens, while Blake Griffin gets a lot better, and even Jordan has dramatically improved, he stays the same!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty What we'll be doing at the end of the world...

Post  Oracle Wed May 14, 2014 6:23 am

FORUM - Page 14 Bnj-OrJIUAAon7r
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty COMBO Big Men List. Monroe is #5 on this list.

Post  Phil-Good Wed May 14, 2014 4:55 am

COMBO Forwards! Not strictly centers or power forwards but combo. Meaning these guys can play both positions.

When Monroe gets that dependable jump-shot he will have no problem playing the 4 with all his other power forward skills. If Ibaka can become A knock down jump-shooter so can Monroe. When Ibaka came into the League his jump-shot was Nightmare on Elm street bad. But credit to him for working on his shot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2010642-br-nba-200-ranking-the-top-combo-big-men-of-2013-14-season/page/22
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty It's Van Gundy's team now.

Post  Phil-Good Wed May 14, 2014 3:54 am

I look for A few guys to be gone. Jennings and Josh Smith. Van Gundy was voted as one of the most disliked coaches in the NBA by the players. I think he was tied for most disliked coaches with Byron Scott and Scott Skiles. All boot camp type of coaches. This is the type of attitude that is needed in Detroit. Business, no games. No more love making to the players.

Everybody knows that Van Gundy will demand everything and more from his players. And he is very loud and critical of is players when he feels like they are not playing hard and smart.

I think Monroe will do well under Van Gundy. He will ride his azz but Greg has no ego so he will do well under the pressure that Van Gundy, GUARANTEED will apply.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty My stand on Stan

Post  deusXango Wed May 14, 2014 1:08 am

Stan Van Gundy's coaching record speaks for itself, and as far as his lack of qualifications for GM; what were Joe's when he took over? What are Chauncey's (a lot of people are pushing for him to go into the front office, i.e.. GM!) There are really no GM candidates that have comparable experience and track records that match Van Gundy's, as a coach. I'm for giving the man a chance as he'll be coaching the players he acquire, and is willing to put his name on what'll be presented to Pistons fans, from top to bottom. It's time to move on from the era of favoritism and get back on a competitive track...I think Stan Van Gundy is as good as any to get that done. Oh, Otis Smith will be subordinate to Stan, and that should make a difference (he'd be a basketball mind to act as a buffer between Van Gundy and Gores cronies).

Now, how does he feel about Jennings, Smith, Bynum, and is he in favor of bringing Monroe back at all costs? Will he be in love with Stuckey like Joe and his army of coaching hires? What will be his thinking going into the draft? Who will he pursue in FA? Does he have the sand to put this franchise right? Things are more interesting than I thought they would be, and maybe, just maybe, we can get up off Gores ass...he's not responsible for the piss-poor performances of this franchise for the last 8 years, and wanting what I personally wanted; a return to the playoffs is nothing to make a case of ineptitude against the man.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty You damn right Sebastian

Post  deusXango Wed May 14, 2014 12:48 am

Sebastian wrote:
Oracle wrote:

Why do so many TV/Media personalities and outlets think that sodomy is okay? Two men kissing is nasty as hell and WE all know what kissing leads to.
Sebastian, I'm in agreement with what you posted and to go a step further, what father, full-blooded man, husband (blessed with a loving wife) can be really alright with his sons, brothers, or see himself engaging in anal penetration by another male? That's the elephant in the room with all this; anal intercourse. A lot of normal, everyday people, have a problem with that and they shouldn't be ostracized because of their feelings. I like what Stephen A. Smith stated "what does the religious leaders have to say; I'm not qualified to say..." Omitting the modern view of some religious leaders, what religion has supported a gay lifestyle down through the ages? A shout out to Oracle for posting the interview clip of S.A.S. because I missed that...thank you 'bro.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Yuck!!!

Post  Sebastian Wed May 14, 2014 12:10 am

Oracle wrote:

Why do so many TV/Media personalities and outlets think that sodomy is okay? Two men kissing is nasty as hell and WE all know what kissing leads to.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Stan

Post  Sparma Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 pm

Interesting choice. I always liked him as a radio personality -- Dan LeBatard would lure him into frank talk.

Too lazy to check but think he was at .641 as a coach. That's impressive, even with some stars. Maybe in retrospect we need to give him additional credit because Howard didn't rank as high in the pantheon as was thought.

And he's got to be our best coach since Larry Brown.

See, I can be positive about it! The man deserves a honeymoon period.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Miggy HR

Post  merc Tue May 13, 2014 11:42 pm

This doesn't happen without the instant replay call.... that'sa spicy meatballs  clap 
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  merc Tue May 13, 2014 11:36 pm

Finally something significant to talk about... So what happens when someone slacks during practice... "I'm tradin' your ass tomorrow"... this could turn into a dictatorship... just be careful all the extra power doesn't lead to mutiny.
Other than that he does have a winning background and stresses defense... still not sure how he got that sad sack bunch in Orlando to play good team defense... but he did.
I'll be real interested in how he treats Monroe when he does that lazy slide out.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty SVG

Post  Oracle Tue May 13, 2014 11:01 pm

I will say that Gores targeted his man, and made a more than FIRM commitment, which is a VERY good sign! Players will have no option but to fall in line or hit the road!

Van Gundy reportedly agreed to a five-year, $35 million deal on Tuesday night to run the team.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Pacers

Post  Oracle Tue May 13, 2014 10:55 pm

I don't want to say they're Gay, but I could swear I saw their entire team lined up to kiss Michael Alan Sam, Jr.!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Wise & Looks like a done deal!

Post  Oracle Tue May 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Has Wise been lying to us? He says he looks like Joe, but could he look more like Gores?

"The Pistons let him essentially build from the ground up. Owner Tom Gores is likely going to have demands (he's rumored to be high on Josh Smith), but the rest is for SVG to guide. And he gets a young super-stud in Andre Drummond down low... and he's had success with those situations before." - Report: Warriors convinced Van Gundy 'leaning towards' Pistons

High on Josh Smith or just plain high? Sounds like Wise to me  lol 

Done Deal - Report: Pistons, Stan Van Gundy reach agreement in principle
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparma Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 pm

I think SVG can coach, even though he'll score some high negatives if he's around long enough. It's being the Man (Stan the Man?) that's got me worried.

Fred Hoiberg's name was brought up as a strong NBA coaching candidate. I'd like someone like that, along with a combination of an experienced hand (Donnie Walsh might be a bit too experienced) along with a numbers cruncher. I'd be willing to take a big chance on Chauncey in the front office, as long as the right team accompanies him.

Orlando fans were snickering at Otis Smith joining Stan in Detroit. With the right support team, Stan could be a dynamic coach. As the Man, he sounds like an uninspiring choice.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue May 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Sebastian wrote:
cool breeze wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:Our players are not that bad individually but collectively they stink to High Heaven as a group.  

1. Monroe is potentially 20-10 type of player and could be that player with the Pistons but only if he's exclusively playing center.  The team has to give up this madness of wanting to play all three of these guys together (Andre, Josh and Greg) and get Josh and Greg back in the right positions.

2. Personally I would love to keep Stuckey because he has the potential to be the perfect 6th Man not just for the Pistons but for any team.  They don't play to a players strength the Pistons has had under Joe and all the coaches under him the dumb notion of minimizing a players effectiveness because they insisted on trying to make them something they're not.  Stuckey into a PG, Charlie into a rebounder and defensive wizard, Pope into a shooter, Josh into a SF, Moose into PF, and so on and so on.  And when it doesn't work everyone scratching their ass and wondering why it didn't.  

Some players are just bad and just a plain bad fit. Players like Bynum, Pope, JJ and Jennings are not good fits and really do need to be moved off the team,  Josh is a beast that needs to be tamed by a strong coach and PG and played at his proper position if not than trade him.  Andre and Moose will never work as a tandem bench one or trade one but stop trying to make Monroe in a PF when he can't defend other PF and have no midrange shot. IMO opinion I would rather rid the team of Jennings and keep Stuckey in a role we all seen him handle well this season.  I like Singler and they need to stop the misuse with him as well.    

Wisefan I think signing Stuckey this time around would not be a wise decision. This team is at first level play relating to rebuilding. Stuckey would just take playing time away from a younger player who might have more potential than Stuckey especially when it comes to playing effective consistent defense. I recall the same cry to sign Stuckey when his last contract was up. Please remember that Stuckey didn't give a crap about the team until this past season. He was benched by several coaches. In the end, I think that even Stuckey wants to find a new home and get a fresh start. I wish him well.

Wise, I am with you, but I also understand cool's point-of-view. I am a huge Rodney Stuckey fan, as all my Pistons Pals know. I would like to see my boy Stuckey back on the roster, but only if there is a bonifide GM and head coach hired to lead the team: Zeke as the GM and Lionel Hollins, as the Head Coach. If no two individuals are hired in the aforementioned positions, similar to the caliber of these recommendations, then I would like to see some other deserving team sign my boy, Stuckey.

I actually think the last half of Stuckey's career would flourish as a member of the Portland Trailblazers.
I think that is where Rodney is headed. He is a West coast guy and the move to a team like Portland will give new life to Stuckey. I don't want Stuckey to remain in Detroit because the Pistons are in the rebuilding process. It is time to secure a point guard to lead this team in a new direction. Big men cannot lead in most cases with the exception of men like Tim Duncan. We need a point guard who believes he is the best and has a great fire in his belly. Then we need to sign another top young combo guard who is a King instead of a Queen on defense. We have a lot of Queen type players in all of the positions when it comes to playing defense. 

Watching the game between the Spurs and the Blazers last night I was delighted to see how many times players made the extra pass. Some possessions I saw both teams making as many as 7 passes. Our team is still on first level play because some like to stand around and watch the action. Others think they are Labron but lack that intense look he showed last night. James was in the moment playing like a crazy man. Our guys who want to be Labron just jack up stupid shots when their teammates are out of position. How dumb with the Pistons play next year? We have to wonder if anything will change unless there is wholesale movement of players. Some of our players have the potential to become playoff caliber players but I don't see any of our point guards with the exception of Siva that have that potential. Yet I may be wrong. Maybe Brandon Jennings will come back after soul searching and hard work over the summer. And he is now married and may want to prove something to his bride. I liked Jennings in his first season. Do any of you believe he has a chance of becoming a real NBA player??

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Oracle

Post  Phil-Good Tue May 13, 2014 9:07 pm

[quote="Oracle"][quote="Phil1980boy"]"Don is right that we don't have any players that could compete at that level"

NA Oracle. I try to read 100% of your post because they are always good. I saw what you said. The truth is I like to jump on Don's comments because he is negative some times. Same goes for Cynic. I burst his ball because it's fun!  lol lol
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Is Stan the man?

Post  Phil-Good Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 pm

Well I will say this about Stan. He coached A over-achieving Orlando Magic team into the NBA finals. I do really like A guy who has coached his way into the NBA finals. Only the good coaches can do that.

As far as the GM stuff goes let's be real. Detroit is not A prime destination. So Detroit will have to throw it's best pitch at people to get them to swing.

This is not the number 1 fan choice but as far as Basketball wise. This would be A solid hire.

The guy has coached his team to the big game. He learn under Pat Riley, his NBA ties run deep. He don't take no s.h.i.t and he will demand 100%% from G.Monroe and every player on his team.

Sounds like somebody the Pistons really need to get this thing back on the right direction.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Stephen A. Smith reacts to Sam Kissing

Post  Oracle Tue May 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Seriously Phillip?

Post  Oracle Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Phil1980boy wrote:"Don is right that we don't have any players that could compete at that level"

THAT IS TOTALLY, 10000% INCORRECT!!

Did you watch any games? Of course our players aren't ready to compete at that level!

I guess you didn't see the rest of what I said, because I went on to say that IMO, they can learn to play at that level!

So if you take one sentence out of context, it's easy to misunderstand what was really being said, so I'm sure you probably was in a rush reading the post.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty Stan Van Gundy?

Post  Oracle Tue May 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Sparma wrote:Might be okay.  I'm neither strongly opposed nor enthused.  I'd certainly hoped for a more exciting proposal, so in that sense I'm opposed.  He's a regular on Sirius radio and sounds reasonably bright.  He'd need big time numbers help in the front office, but he should be able to get that, if he's receptive.   He's a worrier.  And he's either overly candid or overly negative, maybe both, which is worrisome as far as players relations go (Dwight, anyone?).  Knows the game.  Wondered if he'd played organized basketball; he played Division III, which isn't likely to impress the Sheeds of the world.  Had hoped for more exclamation points than question marks.

Sparma, I hear a solid no between your lines, and if I'm right, stick to it!

SVG may be "OK", but it's NOT anything that would excite me! As coach, I wouldn't object as much because Howard was mentally out of it in those days, he's changed now and become a better player and more mentally right. Yes, he has some of Larry Brown's nit picking qualities, without the HOF coaching cred, but that may not be all that bad with the crew we have in tow!

SVG can coach, there's no doubt about that, IMO, and will have the coaching chops to kick ass and take names.

As GM, I don't get it, and would like a more experienced guy in that role!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 14 Empty SVG?

Post  Sebastian Tue May 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Sparma wrote:It sounds like SVG's potential GM hire, Otis Smith, formerly of Orlando, could be the real problem.  Stan, would you rather coach in Golden State?

Pistons Pals: SVG seems to be offered the position that I thought that Joe should have assumed: President and Head Coach.

But, I must admit I am kind of getting a hard-on with the idea of SVG becoming the President and Head Coach. One thing about SVG is he eats and sleeps NBA basketball. The dude has been successful and knows the League.

I would be less excited about an unknown.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparma Tue May 13, 2014 3:36 pm

It sounds like SVG's potential GM hire, Otis Smith, formerly of Orlando, could be the real problem. Stan, would you rather coach in Golden State?
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next