Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
Phil-Good
BallinD
Sparma
WTF
deusXango
Oracle
10 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Brown et al...

Post  Oracle Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Murph, Brown looked really good, and he was matched up against bigger players more then he should have been, but did pretty well. You do point out a strange situation where we have way too many SG's and we're weak on real PG's.

I hate to say it, but it appears that SVG was right about Ellenson. We don't get to see the practices, and we're all wondering why Ellenson isn't playing, well, now we know.

He played better in this last game, but he is severely being out played by ROOKIES that have never suited up in the NBA, which is likely why SVG kept going to Leuer while we complained.

BTW, Thomas has surprised me with his 3 point shot. He doesn't shoot a lot of them, but he's very efficient, his numbers in the last game were 60% from deep and 45% overall, I like his instincts.

This Larry Drew II kid has looked pretty good at PG sometimes, I'm going to keep an eye on him.

Looks like Moreland is toast, Pistons sign Zaza to  2.4M deal. I haven't paid much attention to Zaza lately and while I'm sure he's an upgrade from Moreland, I don't know how much of an upgrade he is.
Murph wrote:I've been mildly impressed with Bruce Brown in the summer league games.  He seems like a very solid 2nd round pick, with a big, positive personality.  I'm just not sure what position he will fill.  Will he be our 4th string PG, or our 5th string SG, or maybe our 3rd string SF?

With Ellenson's disappointing play in summer league, I'm beginning to think we are running out of ways to improve our roster.  It's beginning to look as if Leuer is going to be about our only viable option at reserve PF, which means the Pistons can't really trade him.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Brown

Post  Murph Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:43 am

I've been mildly impressed with Bruce Brown in the summer league games. He seems like a very solid 2nd round pick, with a big, positive personality. I'm just not sure what position he will fill. Will he be our 4th string PG, or our 5th string SG, or maybe our 3rd string SF?

With Ellenson's disappointing play in summer league, I'm beginning to think we are running out of ways to improve our roster. It's beginning to look as if Leuer is going to be about our only viable option at reserve PF, which means the Pistons can't really trade him.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Rut Row

Post  Murph Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:57 am

Man, I could only watch a little of that summer league game last night, because it was so bad. But Henry Ellenson was beyond just bad...he was scary bad...horrible. He couldn't come close to guarding summer league players, and he's a 3 year NBA vet. He was literally one of the worst players on the floor.

We've all been assuming that now that Tolliver is gone, we would try and trade Leuer, and then Ellenson would step up to play reserve PF, behind Griffin. Well, we better change the plan...and fast. We are going to miss Tolliver in a huge way.

Ellenson can't guard anyone. How in the world was this guy an 18th pick???

We had better hang onto Leuer, not because he's good, but because he's at least a bad NBA player, as opposed to Ellenson who is a horrible summer league player.

And pick up Moreland's option, for crying out loud!

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty NBA.Com picks top playoff teams in the west and east

Post  Oracle Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:35 am

BTW, Pistons picked to be in playoffs in the east: GameTime: Caron's Power Poll
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Pistons lose 90-63, but...

Post  Oracle Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 am

If you watched the game, it wasn't as close as the score indicated... it was much worse!

The Bucks looked bigger faster and more importantly COACHED! They ran plays and exploited mismatches all night long.

Ellenson looked like crap defensively, and was constantly abused so much it got embarrassing.

However, the biggest issue to me was that the Pistons appeared to have no coaching at all, just throw the ball up and do whatever you want.

Just the first game, but a tad disturbing.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty The SVG Effect

Post  WTF Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Before Kennard even played his first NBA game base solely on his videos from both college and H.S I thought in the back of my mind this kid could probably be an effect PG.   His quickness never looked like an issue and his ball handling was simple and effective for the most part tons of potential here but I also knew SVG would manage to screw it up.   For that reason one should consider tossing out all of Kennard's rookie season IMO.

We weren't looking at a player confused about what he needed to do but a player that was confused by what a coach was asking him to do.  There's is a difference my suggestion is to go back to all Kennard's pre-draft videos and perhaps even from summer league and this kid had nothing but special and unique written all over him.  

If I was coach I would have been trying to figure out if I could use him at PG last season and in fact I would have been trying to play him at three position PG, SG and SF.   We might not call him a true PG but he most certainly would have been the best Combo player we could have.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Kennard as PG?

Post  Sparma Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm basically with Murph on this one.

It's worth experimenting with him at PG to see if he can give you a few quality minutes situationally, but I really, really doubt that he could become a quality PG for extensive stretches, let alone full-time. I expect him to improve from last year, but watching him he got himself into tight spots, being crowded on the ball, again and again, essentially because he's not quick enough, doesn't have outstanding handles, and needs to be prompted (by SVG) to act quickly.

As mentioned before, Calderon doesn't have NBA speed, quickness, size, or strength. Yet he's been quite a good NBA PG (setting D aside). He's the exception, not the pattern that Kennard can readily imitate! He's got such extraordinary court vision, passing skills, ability to read the D, and sense of timing, that he's been able to flourish in spite of his limitations. Kennard does share one extraordinary skill with him: shooting.

Billups? One dif there is that Chauncey was tremendously strong for his size, compensating in part for lack of quickness. Not so with Kennard, even if I'm hoping he'll be one to hit the weight room hard.

I'm all for diminishing Reggie J's role (in part because I think limited minutes and tight expectations would lift his game), so experiment away with Kennard (but not this summer, unfortunately). My expectations would be pretty low though. But, with Murph, I'm receptive to being proven wrong.

Murph wrote:DX...good post.  

DX and Wise...I'll keep an open mind on Kennard as a PG.  It's too bad Kennard isn't playing in the summer league to showcase his PG skills.  Bring back Arnie Kanter.

deusXango wrote:Does anyone remember how quick and athletic John Stockton (HOFer) was? What about Steve Nash (2X MVP winner)? Both had deadly outside shots and were extremely smart and selfless, that I remember, and clever with the ball...didn't pound the air out of it before leaving a teammate out on a cliff, with a late shot clock pass. Handles are overrated unless your objective is to be a hog. Pass the rock, don't hold it! A 6' 6" PG has so many advantages when he's highly intelligent, can see the floor, and play a "team first," not "me first" brand of basketball. I think this is what the current brain trust see in Kennard, and are willing to make a committed investment in. The team doesn't have a defensive demon playing PG now, it also doesn't have a thinking PG who makes those on the floor with him better. IMHO Kennard has what it takes to be a greater weapon as a PG than merely a 40% 3 point shooter...we've got that in Bullock and maybe others (Thomas), but how many potential floor generals do we have? It's easier for an athlete to develop handles than grow a brain. If he's clever enough with the ball (not letting it stick in his hands) developing handles will come easier.

PG's that I railed against in Detroit, but weren't real team leaders, were Lindsey Hunter (quick, athletic, with handles, but dumb as a box of rocks.) Shooting? Couldn't hit a mule in the ass with a bass fiddle. Rodney Stuckey (big and strong was how he was billed, but sorely lacked leadership skills) who Fat Joe had too much "man love" for. Brandon Jennings, who had too much "me" in his game. He was quick and gifted with awesome handles, could see the floor, but was more interested in being a volume scorer; that's not how you lead a team unless you're Allen Iverson. Speaking of Iverson, when he came here he was too old and his presence alone destroyed one of the great Pistons backcourts and started our downward spiral. Reggie Jackson. What can I say that hasn't been seen by all? The poster child for selfishness! Give Kennard a chance. Is it a big mystery why we loved Isiah Thomas and Chauncey Billups so much? Smart and cagey.

Murph, I'm in agreement with you that Calderon is great, for one year, and Eric Moreland is invaluable as a backup center for us. One of the positives SVG left behind was the development of a high energy, low priced big man. He's a keeper!
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Kennard

Post  Oracle Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:00 pm

IMO, it's not "If" he can play the PG position, it's which position is best for him to play.

We lose what he's really good at if he plays PG, and there are so many better options out there than forcing Kennard to be the PG.

I think it's a good idea to test him playing PG because it's always smart to be prepared, but converting him to a PG forever, is a huge mistake, IMO.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Kennard

Post  Murph Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:25 pm

DX...good post.

DX and Wise...I'll keep an open mind on Kennard as a PG. It's too bad Kennard isn't playing in the summer league to showcase his PG skills. Bring back Arnie Kanter.

deusXango wrote:Does anyone remember how quick and athletic John Stockton (HOFer) was? What about Steve Nash (2X MVP winner)? Both had deadly outside shots and were extremely smart and selfless, that I remember, and clever with the ball...didn't pound the air out of it before leaving a teammate out on a cliff, with a late shot clock pass. Handles are overrated unless your objective is to be a hog. Pass the rock, don't hold it! A 6' 6" PG has so many advantages when he's highly intelligent, can see the floor, and play a "team first," not "me first" brand of basketball. I think this is what the current brain trust see in Kennard, and are willing to make a committed investment in. The team doesn't have a defensive demon playing PG now, it also doesn't have a thinking PG who makes those on the floor with him better. IMHO Kennard has what it takes to be a greater weapon as a PG than merely a 40% 3 point shooter...we've got that in Bullock and maybe others (Thomas), but how many potential floor generals do we have? It's easier for an athlete to develop handles than grow a brain. If he's clever enough with the ball (not letting it stick in his hands) developing handles will come easier.

PG's that I railed against in Detroit, but weren't real team leaders, were Lindsey Hunter (quick, athletic, with handles, but dumb as a box of rocks.) Shooting? Couldn't hit a mule in the ass with a bass fiddle. Rodney Stuckey (big and strong was how he was billed, but sorely lacked leadership skills) who Fat Joe had too much "man love" for. Brandon Jennings, who had too much "me" in his game. He was quick and gifted with awesome handles, could see the floor, but was more interested in being a volume scorer; that's not how you lead a team unless you're Allen Iverson. Speaking of Iverson, when he came here he was too old and his presence alone destroyed one of the great Pistons backcourts and started our downward spiral. Reggie Jackson. What can I say that hasn't been seen by all? The poster child for selfishness! Give Kennard a chance. Is it a big mystery why we loved Isiah Thomas and Chauncey Billups so much? Smart and cagey.

Murph, I'm in agreement with you that Calderon is great, for one year, and Eric Moreland is invaluable as a backup center for us. One of the positives SVG left behind was the development of a high energy, low priced big man. He's a keeper!

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty I Have No Doubt Kennard Can Do It

Post  WTF Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Murph wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't envision Kennard ever playing the point effectively.  He is just not quick enough, athletic enough, nor does he have good enough handles. Don't get me wrong, I love Kennard as a starting SG.  I just don't see him as a PG.

The same could have been said about Chauncey who also converted from being a natural SG.  But Kennard might even be quicker he has a very deceptive first step he's faster than he looks.   Also you don't have to be fast to take care of the ball nor do you need exceptional handles either, it's being smart and taking care of the ball.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Smart and Cagey PG's have always been close to my heart

Post  deusXango Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:32 am

Does anyone remember how quick and athletic John Stockton (HOFer) was? What about Steve Nash (2X MVP winner)? Both had deadly outside shots and were extremely smart and selfless, that I remember, and clever with the ball...didn't pound the air out of it before leaving a teammate out on a cliff, with a late shot clock pass. Handles are overrated unless your objective is to be a hog. Pass the rock, don't hold it! A 6' 6" PG has so many advantages when he's highly intelligent, can see the floor, and play a "team first," not "me first" brand of basketball. I think this is what the current brain trust see in Kennard, and are willing to make a committed investment in. The team doesn't have a defensive demon playing PG now, it also doesn't have a thinking PG who makes those on the floor with him better. IMHO Kennard has what it takes to be a greater weapon as a PG than merely a 40% 3 point shooter...we've got that in Bullock and maybe others (Thomas), but how many potential floor generals do we have? It's easier for an athlete to develop handles than grow a brain. If he's clever enough with the ball (not letting it stick in his hands) developing handles will come easier.

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty PGs and Moreland

Post  Murph Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:40 am

I see that the Hoopshype rumors are that George Hill, Jon Leuer and Ish Smith are all on the block.  Come on Detroit and Cleveland, make it happen.  Then bring Reggie off the bench.

I could be wrong, but I don't envision Kennard ever playing the point effectively.  He is just not quick enough, athletic enough, nor does he have good enough handles. Don't get me wrong, I love Kennard as a starting SG.  I just don't see him as a PG.

Why I like the Jose Calderon acquisition:

1.  He's a pass first PG.  He's the anti-Reggie and anti-Ish PG.
2.  He's smart.
3.  He's a vet.
4.  He played in the Finals last season.
5.  He had a great year.
6.  He shot 50% from the field.
7.  He shot 46% from the 3 point line.
8.  He's an old favorite of Casey's from Toronto.
9.  He only makes $2.4 million for 1 year.

So long Dwight Buycks.  We hardly knew ye.

In my opinion, all of the above moves would go a long way toward fixing our PG issues.

The Pistons need to seriously pick up Moreland's contract.  At $1.8 million a year, he represents one of the biggest bargains in the NBA.  And we desperately need a back-up center.  What are we waiting for?

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Things I'm Not Feeling Right Now

Post  WTF Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Jose: Now this is just some dumb **** here and I don't find it smart at all and I know we could have done better than this.  I have no issue with bringing a vet but can we gets some value for the money we spend.  This crap only makes sense if we're for certain moving both RJ and Ish for real and not for play so for now it's on the dumb **** list.

Overall: Collectively the moves don't make sense and reeks of potential confusion.  We seem to be all over the board as to what direction the team needs to go.  I get it we had two 2nd round picks so something had to be done with them so there it is we drafted 2 more guards which I don't think we needed to but it happened.   Casey say's Win Now but these aren't Win Now moves seem it would have been smarter to just trade those picks we need to eliminate some payroll more than adding projects.   Every move needs to be definitive, precise, and purposeful towards a clear direction.   We need to eliminate all the freaking if's about what needs to be done and what will work.

You all say give it a chance but I see the same bad tendencies of past management and coaches that we should not be looking at as some form of new norm that the thinking that threw Joe out of sync to start the downfall.  We are we going to stop throwing **** at the wall hoping it stick and right now that what it looks like to me.

I'm Not Sold scratch
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Things I'm Feeling Good About

Post  WTF Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Luke Kennard:  I like the idea of trying him a PG because I think it could work so I do believe and promote that idea.  I think in some way Luke could a tiny version of CB in the sense that he's has a high BB IQ, he can shot the 3 and won't make too many mistakes.  He would be more adapt at getting the ball to both BG and AD.  I just don't think that RJ even healthy will make all the right and smart decisions physically he's capable but mentally it's just not there so I'm promoting this decision  for that reason.  Hopefully Casey isn't full of SVG and just talking to me talking.  I said last season we should use Luke at PG and I think SVG did try it but for one game.

Glen Robinson III:  Now I love all things Maze and Blue and what would make me go insane is if we could somehow land his teammates Trey and Tim Jr.  I like this pick up because I felt just like I did with Trey that these guys didn't land with the right teams.  Both should have been Pistons right off the back and the bonus would have been Tim here with his dad still.   So I applaud this pick up and actually rather groom and nurture GRIII oppose to Stanley we do know that Glen can shot it we saw that at UM in fact we know all three of these guys can shoot it.  This pick up did make me smile  tb

Last edited by WTF on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty LOL

Post  WTF Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 am

deusXango wrote:
Murph wrote:I'd be all for trading BG and RJ, if we could find takers.  But BG is often injured and literally has the worst contract in the NBA, and RJ has missed most of the past two seasons.  Realistically, I don't see any takers for those two.
In all practically we can trade one of them; I vote that RJ should be the one to go. AD and BG have yet to be coached by a legitimate great coaching mind of today! Damn yesterday in a land far away, great coaching here and now. Any thing is possible and I think if the Leonard trade blows up in LA face they just might be willing to absorb BG's contract.  

And my opinion of Drummond differs from yours.  (Reasonable people can have different opinions.  We don't have to go attacking each other over it.)
Great line Murph!! All to often we take a difference of opinion as a call to verbal war instead of a platform for discussion.  Blah Blah Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah 

Drummond is only 24 years old, is our only current All Star, is an athletic freak, has outstanding individual stats and advanced stats, and gets along with everyone.  We could trade Drummond, but why would we want to?
Never understood why some used those positive traits as reasons to build a case for trading Drummond all while highlighting one blown play that kept us from the 8th seed. A great Pistons defender, who fans loved, blew a play that cost us a championship, but no one made a crusade, day after day, to vilify that player like he was some sort of pariah. Drummond is our big man who thus far hasn't had any real coaching or All-Star talent to play with since he's been in Detroit. We would want to if a rebuild is a direction to in, AD is all but gone when his contract is up I'm almost certain he's no different than the rest of the league players that eventually bounce to be part of some super roster. IMO it's going to happen and isn't AD contract up before both RJ and BG are?  There's tons to considered but only 2 true directions this team should be looking at right now and that IMO is win now or rebuild quickly I don't see a middle or at least I do but it's paved with a lot of if's.

We should have built around Drummond with more good young players like Tobias Harris and draft picks.  But SVG lost his sh*t, and mortgaged our future for Griffin.
I agree totally! The news of the time was how to trade Avery Bradley, not Tobias Harris and our first round pick. Now we could be looking at a frontline of Drummond, Harris, and Randle (yeah Julius Randle!) with a first round pick to develop, and be coming out cheaper. I expect someone who was at the dinner table when Tom Gores told SVG to pull the trigger on that sh!t to jump up and challenge me on this. See I'm reading some shoulda, coulda woulda in both you and Oracle take on this.  Yes we should have done a lot of things different under both Joe and SVG but none of it happened, so now we're banking on it to be different but it can't be because of what both Joe and SVG left the new regime to deal with.  AD is great but IMO we don't need to build around him and this isn't a knock on him but you build around offensive players and as I most often moan about AD is that he's not a consistent 20-20 guy and that's what he needs to be. 

So now, IMO, we have to play out this hand, at least until Griffin's and RJ contracts run out, or they stay healthy enough that we can trade them. Ae can play it out but I don't see it as a most or only solution.  Again there's a lot of money locked up on these 3 players the kind of money you spend on NBA title contending teams.  Some think that's 55 wins and an ECF run shouldn't be required and a little to lofty of expectation.  Are we really getting our monies worth expecting less. 
This IMHO is pure Pistons Talk (muddied up only by my inane comments) and "playing out this hand" should be fun to watch. Luke Kennard in PG training, developing pit bulls, common sense, competitive SF's, and what will Reggie Bullock morph into this season? Will Drummond and Griffin resurrect the historical interior big man play (center and PF) and play it a level of excellence that hasn't been seen in a while. Yeah, this was food for thought for me. Oracle there's are a hand full of things to think about if there was any real certainty to any of it, but the use of words in your comments like Should or Will provides no definitive answers.  Letting go of the past would be more reasonable if SVG was the only issue, he was a big issue and a lot of the issue just not all of it.  AD is still 2 years behind or he may have reached his peak,  BG couldn't carry LA and I won't even start on my view of RJ.  But it's just my opinion. 

lol
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Murph

Post  deusXango Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 am

Murph wrote:I'd be all for trading BG and RJ, if we could find takers.  But BG is often injured and literally has the worst contract in the NBA, and RJ has missed most of the past two seasons.  Realistically, I don't see any takers for those two.
In all practically we can trade one of them; I vote that RJ should be the one to go. AD and BG have yet to be coached by a legitimate great coaching mind of today! Damn yesterday in a land far away, great coaching here and now.

And my opinion of Drummond differs from yours.  (Reasonable people can have different opinions.  We don't have to go attacking each other over it.)
Great line Murph!! All to often we take a difference of opinion as a call to verbal war instead of a platform for discussion.  

Drummond is only 24 years old, is our only current All Star, is an athletic freak, has outstanding individual stats and advanced stats, and gets along with everyone.  We could trade Drummond, but why would we want to?
Never understood why some used those positive traits as reasons to build a case for trading Drummond all while highlighting one blown play that kept us from the 8th seed. A great Pistons defender, who fans loved, blew a play that cost us a championship, but no one made a crusade, day after day, to vilify that player like he was some sort of pariah. Drummond is our big man who thus far hasn't had any real coaching or All-Star talent to play with since he's been in Detroit.

We should have built around Drummond with more good young players like Tobias Harris and draft picks.  But SVG lost his sh*t, and mortgaged our future for Griffin.
I agree totally! The news of the time was how to trade Avery Bradley, not Tobias Harris and our first round pick. Now we could be looking at a frontline of Drummond, Harris, and Randle (yeah Julius Randle!) with a first round pick to develop, and be coming out cheaper. I expect someone who was at the dinner table when Tom Gores told SVG to pull the trigger on that sh!t to jump up and challenge me on this.

So now, IMO, we have to play out this hand, at least until Griffin's and RJ contracts run out, or they stay healthy enough that we can trade them.
This IMHO is pure Pistons Talk (muddied up only by my inane comments) and "playing out this hand" should be fun to watch. Luke Kennard in PG training, developing pit bulls, common sense, competitive SF's, and what will Reggie Bullock morph into this season? Will Drummond and Griffin resurrect the historical interior big man play (center and PF) and play it a level of excellence that hasn't been seen in a while. Yeah, this was food for thought for me.

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  Murph Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:05 am

I'd be all for trading BG and RJ, if we could find takers. But BG is often injured and literally has the worst contract in the NBA, and RJ has missed most of the past two seasons. Realistically, I don't see any takers for those two.

And my opinion of Drummond differs from yours. (Reasonable people can have different opinions. We don't have to go attacking each other over it.)

Drummond is only 24 years old, is our only current All Star, is an athletic freak, has outstanding individual stats and advanced stats, and gets along with everyone. We could trade Drummond, but why would we want to?

We should have built around Drummond with more good young players like Tobias Harris and draft picks. But SVG lost his sh*t, and mortgaged our future for Griffin.

So now, IMO, we have to play out this hand, at least until Griffin's and RJ contracts run out, or they stay healthy enough that we can trade them.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty My Negativity For Today

Post  WTF Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:33 am

I smell an opportunity lurking one that says we can completely star fresh is we could rid ourselves of all three of what is considered our core.   AD or BG to the Lakers perhaps or perhaps the Cavs might be willing to bite on one of them.  I think RJ can be move thus a complete rebuild is possible.  

I'm currently not impressed thus far but then again I did say the proof will come at season's end  tb
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Happy 4th of July to America and all of my fellow Posters!

Post  Oracle Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:38 pm

FORUM - Page 33 103384-Happy-July-4th-America
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Don...

Post  Oracle Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Don wrote:Everyone seems to like taking a swipe at Stanley Johnson as if he had been picked number on in the first round. Johnson is and always will be a good complimentary player who fills a role on a high achieving team.
I seriously can't believe you're saying this!

I don't see Stanley as a role player anymore, I expect a LOT more. The fact is that we're in the shape we're in because of the failure of Stanley to live up to ANY of his expectations. He's a complete and total failure based on who and what he said he was(best player in the draft), and what YOU said he was... a star, not a role player.

You can revise history now, but don't expect us to forget, unless you're admitting you were wrong about Stanley, then it's all good.

BTW, I'm also shocked to see you reference his draft order as some sort of excuse. You never used that lame excuse when you expected KCP to perform at star level, raise the play of others, and stop star players on every team from scoring.

If you expected all of that from KCP BEFORE his rookie contract was up, why not Stanley, who you've claimed to be so much better?

I still believe that Stanley is a hidden gem, and will blossom under the right coaching, sadly, you don't see the connection for a lot of talented young players who suffer through poor coaching like SVG's.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:23 pm

[quote="BallinD"]Why rush to sign Calderone so fast unless we're setting up a trade for Ish, Galloway and/or maybe Leuer.  It seems like maybe this FO will be as active as SVB, but not as dumb.  Time will tell.  Too bad about Tolliver.  I wanted us to keep him, and the Noahalytics shooting application seemed dope and could help the whole team.

I'm not mad at taking a flyer on a young wing, GRIII, but it probably cost us Tolliver.  Athleticism, youth, n potential upside vs shooting, fit and leadership?

Calderone can help us, maybe.  Let's hope he's more Beno and less Blake.

@DeusXango:  I'm hoping SJ doesn't need more incentive in his show and prove year before his rookie contract runs out.  I hope we can run Bullock at the three if neither GRIII nor SJ show what we need to see.  Things are starting to look interesting, going into Summer League.  There is probably another shoe or two to drop.  

Ballin I agree with your thoughts that signing two players who are in the category of leftovers shows the desperation within the Piston organization. Calderon better be a good player coach for the new draftees. He is way past his prime. This organization will not admit that they backed a dying horse by spending the entire payroll for losing caliber players. The Pistons desperately need a high caliber point guard so they pick Jose. I think that Buycks has much more potential to contribute to a more competitive team. 10 years ago, getting Calderon might have been a big deal for the Pistons. Not now. This team is trapped because of low performing players who have suckered this owner into paying them star caliber money. So the new management team tries to pick off lower priced players to fill out the roster.

Everyone seems to like taking a swipe at Stanley Johnson as if he had been picked number on in the first round. Johnson is and always will be a good complimentary player who fills a role on a high achieving team. He knows that and will find a new home next season where he will shine. Expecting Johnson to somehow become Labron when he plays with a completely dysfunctional selfish point guard that reduces the Piston offense to play low IQ basketball with the one two punch pick and roll featuring All Star AD and his sidekick RJ makes the other three starters look like they belong in the G League. Point guards can make or break careers. There is no way to trade RJ so being he makes so much money the owner will not stand for bringing him off the bench. Also, AD would have tantrum if RJ came off the bench. He wants the ball. Got to build up the stats. Johnson wants to start over in a more functional setting. Most likely the Pistons won't be able to sign him anyway due to the current payroll. The situation is hopeless right now in Piston land. I just hope this management team can get something perhaps draft picks for Johnson but there are no players that any other NBA team wants on this Piston roster to include in a trade for Johnson. Nobody wants the following based on the current money they are making and their attitude towards winning and playing the right way.

1. Blake Griffin
2. AD
3. RJ
4. Jon Leur
5. L. Galloway
6. Ish Smith
7. Robinson
8. Calderon

Good luck with that bunch. If you had been sleeping for the past 4 years after being in a coma and suddenly woke up and asked about who was currently playing for the Pistons the news might make you go right back into the coma. There are really no real star players who are known for being on winning teams ever except for Griffin and his team fell flat in the playoffs.

The Pistons have young players who have never been real down right winners either. But if I were the head coach and had a guaranteed contract, I would give the most minutes next season to Kennard, Johnson (if he is not traded before training camp), Moreland, Ellenson, the two draft picks and the best performing players available in the G League. Rest the vets for the next season. Try to lose every game and up the odds of securing the number one pick in the draft. That sounds crazy but to me this is the best strategy moving forward. Who in hell wants to watch AD shoot jump shots and get more meaningless rebounds while also watching him throw the outlet pass after securing rebound to an opposing player? He is just not a smart winning type player and never will be one. RJ is a simpleton one dimensional two guard who has convinced owners like Tom Gores that he is possibly an All Star caliber point guard. Griffin is past his prime big time. Leuer and Galloway are nothing more than G League type players. Leuer would struggle in the G League.

All is not lost basketball fans. There will be some great games being played in the West after everything shakes out this summer. The East has maybe two or three competitive teams with Boston, Washington, Philly. Miami teams always play hard unlike our Pistons. Milwaukee might surprise us because they have some good players with one superstar. Toronto will win a lot of Eastern conference matchups but do not impress me much. That leaves our Pistons in position to make the playoffs. But don't let that fool anyone. The Pistons might only make the playoffs by default because the Eastern Conference is a place where losers play in. The action is in the Western Conference who have stolen most of the great players. Piston games will be dull for sure just looking at that list above makes me ill. Just trade Johnson and get it over with Piston management. He is worth a number one pick at least. Notice there is no news coverage about how the team might sign Johnson in the future? No money and not a good fit. The Pistons need more hot dog type players. Maybe bring back Will Bynum. Calderon is making his 2nd trip to the Pistons. Why not bring Bynum out of retirement? Bring back Charlie V too. Sorry but I was briefly trying to think of more ways for the Pistons to lose games so they can finally have a chance to draft a good player.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Handicapping?

Post  Sparma Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:08 am

Given the state of the NBA, I think we should start handicapping the sport as happens in golf and chess.  For example, Joe's a beginning chess player so get a queen advantage when playing Jess, while someone gets only a bishop or pawn advantage.

Specifically, I want us to be able to instantly tag in Max Hooper for Stanley Johnson when a 3 pointer is called for, creating a platoon aimed at allowing us to bridge our deficit.  But only against GS, LA, Houston, Boston, and Philly.  Maybe OKC too, the first team over the 300 mil threshold for salaries and tax. Or maybe we just get to add Hooper as a sixth player standing at the 3 point line when going up against those teams.

Dude shot over 200 times in college at Oakland with ZERO 2 pointers, a record.  Stanley gets to complement Max Hooper with the rest of his game.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty The curse of the Pistons after Van Gundy took over...injuries!

Post  deusXango Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, ARNIE KANDER!!! Arnie resurrected careers, kept players on the floor, and minimized the down time when players were hurt. His record in Detroit speaks for itself. SVG chose to dump him for no legitimate reason immediately after he took over. A great gift for Dwane Casey would be if Ed Stefanski could bring back Arnie Kander.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Summer League... not so exciting now!

Post  Oracle Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:24 pm

We've suffered two very depressing losses to our roster for summer league.

Luke Kennard, who we were looking forward to using at PG, has been struck down by a knee strain, which appears to be serious enough that he will miss the entire affair.

If that wasn't bad enough, Keenan Evans has suffered a foot injury which again, removes him from the roster.

Man, injuries cropping up before the preseason even gets started... What the flying f**k!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 33 Empty Lonzo

Post  Murph Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:13 am

Oracle, I sense that the Lakers have had it with LeVar's act.  Pulling his kid from UCLA, having them play in Lithuania, and starting his own shoe company and semi-pro league is way too much.  And all of that is on the back of the Lakers image.  I'm guessing Magic and the Lakers are not amused.

IMO, they are going to ship Lonzo, along with Kuzma, Ingram and maybe a 1st rounder or two to San Antonio for Kawhi.

Now that Lebron has signed with LA, the Pistons need to offer Leuer, Ish and maybe a young player to Cleveland for George Hill.   Cleveland needs to rebuild.

Then the Pistons need to bring Reggie off the bench, and let him go wild.  He would tear up opposing 2nd units for instant offense.  If healthy, Reggie would be a candidate for 6th man of the year.  

And George Hill would be a calming, veteran influence on the starting unit.

I was underwhelmed by the Glenn Robinson signing.  I mean how many 6'6 SFs do we need?  But the one thing I like about the Robinson signing is that he's a Michigan alumn.  IMO, the Pistons should make a point of trying to acquire UM and MSU alumns, when it makes sense.  I mean the State of Michigan is not a natural destination for NBA players...unless they have a connection to the state, because they went to college there.  The Pistons should try to take advantage of that connection, whenever possible.

I sort of like Jose Calderon as a 3rd string PG, but his signing reminds of when SVG brought in the 37 year old Jameer Nelson. lol

The Pistons need to pick up Moreland's option.

Murph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next