Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
cool breeze
Sparma
Oracle
WTF
BallinD
deusXango
10 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  Murph Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm

cool breeze wrote:
Murph wrote:"Avery Bradley is the heart and soul of the Pistons renewed defensive culture, regardless of his size, and this recurring talk about him being a one year rental, because we can't afford to keep him, is plain gut wrenching bullsh!t. We can't afford to not keep him! Jon Leuer is sitting on the sideline, cashing Bradley's pay checks, with an extended, mild ankle sprain. I don't want KCP to return to Detroit anymore than I want Moose's lazy ass back, so SVG, find a home for Leuer and Boban, do the right thing and resign Bradley to a decent contract. Look at the money just sitting around while the team is winning. Onward and upward."

DX...the point is Monroe is a $17 million expiring contract.  What would it take to entice Phoenix to take Leuer and Boban off our hand for Monroe and his expiring contract?  Would a  1st round draft pick be enough?  Henry Ellenson?  Both?  

If we can move Leuer and Boban, we might have enough money to resign Bradley, Tolliver and Monroe in the off season.  If we can't move Leuer and Boban, we probably won't have enough money to resign Bradley, not sure about Tolliver.

The Leuer and Boban contracts might be enough to get a lot of GMs fired. When it happened I thought SVG had suffered a stroke. Pop was in shock when he found out about Boban, his mop up crowd favorite getting the kind of money SVG offered. And were any other NBA teams even interested in either Boban or Leuer? That is the problem Murph. Nobody wants those two players. SVG has tried to market Leuer by showcasing him all of last season. The last game of the season against Orlando sealed the fate of the Pistons when Arron Gordon made a complete fool out of Leuer. Other GMs saw that game. Jon has zero value. Boban has zero value. Leuer's previous destination was Phoenix where he didn't fit in with their plans. SVG tried to place Leuer in a new position (center) but the Pistons summer league star Moreland has proven that he fits the second unit much better. Leuer was not that good of a college player but I think SVG thought he was more athletic than he really is and could make a lot of 3 pointers. Leuer has never been a good 3 point shooter so it is clear that the Piston front office failed to do their homework.

I would give up our first round pick to make a trade work involving Boban and Leuer but that won't be enough. The Suns want Johnson along with several other NBA teams. Can the Pistons go over the CAP to sign Bradley? I didn't check the Boban and Leuer contracts but think they expire after next season don't they? If so then the Pistons would have to spend some big bucks for one season until those bad contracts drop off. I see no way that any team will take on those stupid contracts unless the Pistons give up a key player we need to win the championship. But SVG better do some creative thinking now or he is going to look real stupid if Bradley signs with another team and he comes back with Leuer and Boban next year with no Bradley.

Right.  If we sit pat and don't do anything, we have about $8 million to resign Bradley, Tolliver, and sign our 1st and 2nd round picks.

I figure Bradley should demand $13 million a year, Tolliver $4 million, and our 1st and 2nd round picks about $3 millon.

Is Gores really going to let his payroll balloon by more than $12 million over this year's payroll, when the team reportedly lost a lot of money last year, and can't even fill half the seats in a brand new arena this year?  I doubt it.

Something is going to have to give.  I would not trade SJ, as he seems to be finally, slowly coming around and contributing defensively and within the flow of the offense.  If SJ could just fix his jump shot, he'd be dangerous.  But if Drummond can fix his free throws, I have confidence Johnson can eventually fix his jump shot.

So that leaves Ellenson and our 1st round pick as our only valuable but still expendable assets to trade.

Murph

Back to top Go down

Post  deusXango Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:43 am

Murph wrote:
deusXango wrote:
Murph wrote:"Avery Bradley is the heart and soul of the Pistons renewed defensive culture, regardless of his size, and this recurring talk about him being a one year rental, because we can't afford to keep him, is plain gut wrenching bullsh!t. We can't afford to not keep him! Jon Leuer is sitting on the sideline, cashing Bradley's pay checks, with an extended, mild ankle sprain. I don't want KCP to return to Detroit anymore than I want Moose's lazy ass back, so SVG, find a home for Leuer and Boban, do the right thing and resign Bradley to a decent contract. Look at the money just sitting around while the team is winning. Onward and upward."

DX...the point is Monroe is a $17 million expiring contract.  What would it take to entice Phoenix to take Leuer and Boban off our hand for Monroe and his expiring contract?  Would a  1st round draft pick be enough?  Henry Ellenson?  Both?  

If we can move Leuer and Boban, we might have enough money to resign Bradley, Tolliver and Monroe in the off season.  If we can't move Leuer and Boban, we probably won't have enough money to resign Bradley, not sure about Tolliver.
Murph, Leuer is making $10 million a year and Boban is pulling down $7 million, but you want to give up on a developing 6' 11" offensive machine that has a range of game now that Da' Moose doesn't? A player that did all he could to get out of Detroit and you want to resign him in the off-season, if possible? This doesn't sound like you Murph, but then I don't know what's floating around in your head. Why is it necessary to entice the Suns to part with Monroe, a player they really don't want? If that's the case, I'd rather keep Leuer and Boban and let them rot on the bench; $17 million is $17 million!

Do you want to resign Bradley and Tolliver, and move Leuer and Boban or not?  If you do, you're going to have to give up a lot to get Phoenix make the deal.
That's Phoenix, there's 28 other teams to deal with to dump $17 million from our payroll, plus there are better options than Greg Monroe to be bargained for. I'd hope the brain trust would be looking to dump "dead weight salary" without biting into the fabric of our promising future. Don't you think it's doable?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am

The Leuer and Boban contracts might be enough to get a lot of GMs fired. When it happened I thought SVG had suffered a stroke. Pop was in shock when he found out about Boban, his mop up crowd favorite getting the kind of money SVG offered. And were any other NBA teams even interested in either Boban or Leuer? That is the problem Murph. Nobody wants those two players. SVG has tried to market Leuer by showcasing him all of last season. The last game of the season against Orlando sealed the fate of the Pistons when Arron Gordon made a complete fool out of Leuer. Other GMs saw that game. Jon has zero value. Boban has zero value. Leuer's previous destination was Phoenix where he didn't fit in with their plans. SVG tried to place Leuer in a new position (center) but the Pistons summer league star Moreland has proven that he fits the second unit much better. Leuer was not that good of a college player but I think SVG thought he was more athletic than he really is and could make a lot of 3 pointers. Leuer has never been a good 3 point shooter so it is clear that the Piston front office failed to do their homework.

I would give up our first round pick to make a trade work involving Boban and Leuer but that won't be enough. The Suns want Johnson along with several other NBA teams. Can the Pistons go over the CAP to sign Bradley? I didn't check the Boban and Leuer contracts but think they expire after next season don't they? If so then the Pistons would have to spend some big bucks for one season until those bad contracts drop off. I see no way that any team will take on those stupid contracts unless the Pistons give up a key player we need to win the championship. But SVG better do some creative thinking now or he is going to look real stupid if Bradley signs with another team and he comes back with Leuer and Boban next year with no Bradley.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Murph Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 am

deusXango wrote:

Murph, Leuer is making $10 million a year and Boban is pulling down $7 million, but you want to give up on a developing 6' 11" offensive machine that has a range of game now that Da' Moose doesn't? A player that did all he could to get out of Detroit and you want to resign him in the off-season, if possible? This doesn't sound like you Murph, but then I don't know what's floating around in your head. Why is it necessary to entice the Suns to part with Monroe, a player they really don't want? If that's the case, I'd rather keep Leuer and Boban and let them rot on the bench; $17 million is $17 million!

Do you want to resign Bradley and Tolliver, and move Leuer and Boban or not?  If you do, you're going to have to give up a lot to get Phoenix make the deal.

Otherwise, I'm all ears on how you intend to move Leuer and Boban and resign Bradley.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty What am I not getting here?

Post  deusXango Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:31 am

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  Murph Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 am

"Avery Bradley is the heart and soul of the Pistons renewed defensive culture, regardless of his size, and this recurring talk about him being a one year rental, because we can't afford to keep him, is plain gut wrenching bullsh!t. We can't afford to not keep him! Jon Leuer is sitting on the sideline, cashing Bradley's pay checks, with an extended, mild ankle sprain. I don't want KCP to return to Detroit anymore than I want Moose's lazy ass back, so SVG, find a home for Leuer and Boban, do the right thing and resign Bradley to a decent contract. Look at the money just sitting around while the team is winning. Onward and upward."

DX...the point is Monroe is a $17 million expiring contract. What would it take to entice Phoenix to take Leuer and Boban off our hand for Monroe and his expiring contract? Would a 1st round draft pick be enough? Henry Ellenson? Both?

If we can move Leuer and Boban, we might have enough money to resign Bradley, Tolliver and Monroe in the off season. If we can't move Leuer and Boban, we probably won't have enough money to resign Bradley, not sure about Tolliver.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Bests, But No Cigar Yet

Post  BallinD Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:10 am

Unlikely Bests or Near-Bests Early In The Season for Pistons.

1. Best 4th quarter team: That’s the best fourth-quarter net rating in the league, buoyed by the No. 4 offensive rating and the No. 4 defensive in the league. Yes, that’s the best individual ORTG and DRTG the Pistons have for any quarter.

2. Best spot up shooting team: The Pistons currently rank as the number one spot-up shooting team, scoring 1.078 points per possession.

3. Points in Transition: Scoring an average of 1.153 points per possession, the Pistons have managed to rank 5th in the NBA in transition.

4. Pick n Roll: If there’s any further indication that Reggie Jackson is healthy and returned to form, it’s that the ball handler in the pick-and-roll is averaging 0.96 points per possession. That is currently NUMBER 1 in the NBA and rated as Excellent per Synergy.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty The Team I'm Falling In Love With

Post  deusXango Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 am

This is the team I've been waiting for to show up; passing the ball (no ball hogs but Ish, of all people), gritty, exciting, defensive demons, and the players who're paid to show up are showing up. SVG for the most part is coaching his ass off...I didn't know he had it in 'em anymore, but I was wrong. There's a weak link in every chain, but our chain is so strong, our weak link is of no consequence right now.

Andre Drummond is a player who I never appreciated the shade thrown his way (always starting with his contract), how long he's been in the league, poor FT shooting, no defense, all that sh!t that was correctable, but talked about like he'd never be able to do it. He's a NBA record setter, on his way to his second All-Star appearance (if there's any justice), and there's still improvement that can be made; his Pistons mentor, The Moose, is unwanted by all but the severely delusional and on his way out of the NBA. I'm glad he's doing his thing in a Pistons uniform.

Reggie Jackson is a player who I felt couldn't/wouldn't change his stripes and be a ball hog forever...I was wrong it seems. Reggie is playing team ball and getting better at it from game-to-game. I'll go so far as to say, he's playing the best ball since he's been a Piston. He's playing a controlled game, not turning the ball over, hitting his shots, playing in back-to-backs, and SVG is doing a masterful job of managing his minutes. I don't see a better starting PG prospect than Reggie for this team, especially considering he's beginning to play decent defense. He kicked Westbrooks ass, so I'm officially on the Reggie bandwagon.

Tobias Harris being forced to play behind Marcus Morris and Jon Leuer was one of the biggest reasons I dogged SVG every chance I got; I always knew he was better than the both of those career bench players, no matter how it was justified playing Harris off the bench, particularly on a loosing team! A pros, pro, and damn the Big 3, we running the Big 4.

Avery Bradley is the heart and soul of the Pistons renewed defensive culture, regardless of his size, and this recurring talk about him being a one year rental, because we can't afford to keep him, is plain gut wrenching bullsh!t. We can't afford to not keep him! Jon Leuer is sitting on the sideline, cashing Bradley's pay checks, with an extended, mild ankle sprain. I don't want KCP to return to Detroit anymore than I want Moose's lazy ass back, so SVG, find a home for Leuer and Boban, do the right thing and resign Bradley to a decent contract. Look at the money just sitting around while the team is winning. Onward and upward.

Stanley Johnson is that weak link I was talking about; a SF who doesn't slash, jump, or shot worth a damn, but plays a helluva defensive game and is strong as a Roman Bull. I misjudged his jump shot badly....it's broke! Every now and then he'll hit a timely 3, but that's not acceptable on this evolving 3 ball team. We've got some dependable long ball shooters, even deep into the bench, so Stanimal is going to have to be more selective with his shots and work on his shot with the same effort his teammates put into their game.

I don't care if Tolliver is 50 years old, he's got plenty in the tank, compared to Leuer, plus Ellenson is waiting in the wings and SVG can't find PT for him; Galloway has been a pleasant surprise and Kennard has got to cut that bashful sh!t out and shoot the ball more when he's in the game...I appreciate it that Luke plays smart, selfless basketball, but that's not where he fits in right now. Ish Smith is the "little engine that makes the train go." He's as important to the teams morale as Tolliver and Bradley. Those four gives the Pistons consistently great firepower. Moreland has proven that he's the backup center we need; the energy, hunger to prove himself, and his athleticism makes Leuer and Boban viable trade pieces come the deadline or before...we could use the future draft picks. We still haven't gotten a look at our G-League 2Way players yet. This is a damn good team and my hat's off to Mr. Stan Van Gundy for putting it together and being smart enough to arrest his ego.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Dare To Dream

Post  BallinD Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 pm

They're playing like they may have just hit their stride, but not yet the home stretch sprint, so there is that to look forward to. Possibly eliminating the slow starts, or at least getting a handle on them, who is this coach?

Is this the next level? Never seen Dre this confident and focused before. Tobias is the weapon and Weggie is the closer. I like it. Lotta games to go to get to that next level on a consistent basis.

I know many don't like the threes, but without a superstar, (speed up your roll, Dre) what are ya gonna do to score with the big dogs. Think of it as an evolution.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Phil1980boy wrote:I will make this short and sweet.

1. Drummonds and Jackson. They stayed focused from beginning to end. This is not constant from game to game so it's A example of how good the Pistons could be if these two mature became professionals and gave 100% effort night in and night out.

2. A.Bradley reminds me of Joe Dumars. I know POPE is TRASH and was/Is one of the worst starting SG in the NBA. I did not know Bradley posses text book abilities. He cuts text book. He moves without the basketball text book. Avery Bradley has A text book mid-range shot. Avery Bradley plays basketball the right way! His defense on K. Irving was textbook amazing. Bradley was one hell of A trade. Even if it was for 1 season.

3. T.Harris right now is A NBA All Star. If Detroit can finish in the top 3 by All Star. IT's no way Harris can be left off the roster.

Bradley's impact on a basketball team is amazing. He is a coaches dream come true. It is what goes on behind the scenes that sets some players apart. Bradley can articulate what it takes for a team to really have fun while playing the game. He has made mistakes during games. He was in a minor shooting slump recently. But like you said his execution on offense recognizing situations quickly and making those incredible cuts keeps the defense focused on him. Ball sharing and player movement can be directly attributed to not only the coaching staff but how Avery has instilled this desire by all of his teammates to play like him which means more sharing of the basketball. And now in this past game I saw everyone digging for the ball and getting in that painful defensive squat moving the feet and helping others. Boston players were not expecting that kind of work ethic from the Pistons. This last game was not one of Bradley's great performances. But he always shows up giving maximum effort and even when the shots are not dropping early in games, Bradley somehow makes plays that count in the 4th quarter even on off nights. Boston fans love Avery Bradley. That was one hell of a welcome by those Celtic fans showing their love for our player. Got to keep him.

Harris had one of those crazy nights where when Boston made a run he seemed to counter those runs with outstanding outside shooting. Harris is moving better and his teammates are finding him at the right time and place. He got in a rhythm last night that never changed throughout the game. That won't happen every game but Tobias has become a lethal weapon for this Piston team and defenses have to make adjustments when they play Detroit now. I just hope this team keeps getting better at passing and moving without the ball. This new AD who is extremely athletic and energetic is like a lightening rod. I think he is having more fun and is more engaged because of the new offense where he touches the ball a lot as he loves being a facilitator. Some of the looks from the Celtic players revealed that they were not ready to deal with Andre Drummond. They seemed to be saying who is that guy? And Brad Stevens made a huge mistake calling for the intentional foul and waking up the sleeping giant. I know the players said after the game that they are moving on and must think about Phoenix. But that goes down for me as a special game for the Detroit Pistons that I won't forget for awhile even when they might lose one they should win.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Phillip, I love your TRASH comments...

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Always have, so at least you got 2 out of 3 right  lol

This team will always go where Drummond and Jackson takes it and having Harris step up gives us the dynamic big 3 any competitive team needs. Everybody else needs to play their role, and yes, Bradley is a very good contributor. Of course when I said this in the off season, I got a lot of negative feedback saying that neither Drummond or Reggie were stars... oh well.

Phillip, could you and Don do me a favor? Could you both team up and give us a report on Bradley's choice of underwear? Boxers of Briefs? And when he drops the captains logs, do they float or sink? We just gots to know... you know  lol lol lol

Disclaimer: Sparma, this post was just in fun, not an attack and not to be taken seriously... well at least the last part Smile 
Phil1980boy wrote:I will make this short and sweet.

1. Drummonds and Jackson. They stayed focused from beginning to end. This is not constant from game to game so it's A example of how good the Pistons could be if these two mature became professionals and gave 100% effort night in and night out.

2. A.Bradley reminds me of Joe Dumars. I know POPE is TRASH and was/Is one of the worst starting SG in the NBA. I did not know Bradley posses text book abilities. He cuts text book. He moves without the basketball text book. Avery Bradley has A text book mid-range shot. Avery Bradley plays basketball the right way! His defense on K. Irving was textbook amazing. Bradley was one hell of A trade. Even if it was for 1 season.

3. T.Harris right now is A NBA All Star. If Detroit can finish in the top 3 by All Star. IT's no way Harris can be left off the roster.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Boston Game

Post  Phil-Good Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:59 pm

I will make this short and sweet.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Andre Drummond's best game as a Piston

Post  cool breeze Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:39 pm

How about the 4th quarter AD had last night! Stevens must have struck a nerve when he called for that intentional foul. Andre makes one of two. AD makes a difficult shot under the basket and a foul shot on a post up. Then on a break slams down a thunder one handed dunk off a Bradley pass. But that was not it, AD defends on a side out of bounds and goes from the free throw line out when his man slides off a screen to steal the inbounds pass and goes solo for another layup dunk. The announcers called it saying that play was the game changer. WOW AD is fully engaged and has been for several games so far. Now the test for Andre will be to make the kind of effort and concentration he had last night the norm. Andre Drummond was clearly having a lot of fun. Basketball is supposed to be fun but it takes hard work before the fun begins.

It was the AD on defense that I loved most with his 20 plus rebounds with most of those being important difficult defensive rebounds. But that was not it relating to his defense because he deflected a lot of balls helping his teammates causing big trouble for Irving all night. If AD can play that way this Piston team can become a championship contender next season. If this team can stay together and keep improving the sky is the limit.

The refs must be sad today because it appeared they had a lot of money riding on Boston winning that game. The foul calls on Moreland and Johnson were insane. And the drive by Bradley off a screen in the closing minutes where he was knocked down under the basket with the defender going over his back would never have been a no call if Irving had made that same play.

The Pistons started playing scrappy defense and never stopped digging and fighting all night long. I thought an important part of the game was toward the last part of the 3rd quarter when the subs were in and Bradley. They were having difficulty scoring during that time period. On one possession, Moreland somehow was able to get two offensive rebounds in heavy traffic and Ish Smith finally make a nice shot in the lane.

Kennard does not look like a rookie at all. He was playing really good defense and just knows where to be on the floor at all times. Johnson had another low shooting percentage night but some of his action on defense clogging up the paint and making that defensive play on a Boston fast break also means the difference between winning and losing. Johnson is getting good shots. He is not forcing shots. It is only a matter of time before this 21 year old player starts making a high percentage of those shots. I still don't like his release which the coaching staff changed last year. He needs to go back to releasing with one hand and keeping his off hand off the ball at the point of release.

I still think this team will be up and down this season but fully expect if the same players return next season will be the year everything might fall in place to elevate them to a top tier basketball team. The team chemistry is outstanding and the direct opposite from last year so far.

I hope you stuck around to watch the post game interview with Avery Bradley. If you did than you can see why he has such a positive impact on any team he plays on. Avery is so articulate when talking about basketball it is clear to me that he would make a great coach or broadcaster when his playing days are over. He provided the details relating to how to play the right way which this Piston team had no clue about last season. Piston management cannot let this guy slip through their fingers. Please sign him if that is possible.

Piston fans need to get out to fill the seats for the Suns game. Great victory Pistons!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Growing Pains

Post  lemonpen Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:54 pm

WTF wrote:They finish a tough stretch of games (past 6) and came away 3-3 but there's still a ton of concerns because they lose to the Bucks, and Pacers to start beat a good young team in the Wolves then lay an turd in the loss to the Cavs, scratch out a win over Thunders in an ugly played game and then pull off this Master Piece over the Celtics.  

There's a lot of confusion to where this team is headed a playoff team seems certain but next level I still don't see it. Great Job! though
Wise, instead of looking at the games in isolation reconsider them in series with trending behavior.

-We come off a 5 game home win streak a bit overconfident in ourselves and underestimating the power of home cooking.

- 2 of the 5 we just beat at LCA stand taller at their places, solving our under-estimation issue.

- We rediscover humility & hunger and right the ship by kicking the Wolvies a second time.

- Next lesson = Gotta play much harder against 3 HOF'ers. The Cavs slap us around.

- Lesson learned after another half of butt kicking by 3 OKC HOF'ers. Kudos to SVG, who wouldn't allow us to continue being shrinking violets.

- Maybe, just maybe, 2 quarters of fighting back at OKC has helped elevate our level of toughness and belief in who we are as a team.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Another Great Game

Post  Murph Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 am

That was another great win against the team with the best record in the NBA on the road. Drummond was unconscious, with 26 pts, 22 rbds, 6 asts and 4 stls. And every time we need a huge 3 pointer, Tobias Harris delivered.

You know was strikes me when I watch this team play? How much these guys like each other. You can see it in their body language and facial expressions. Like the Bad Boys and Larry Brown's 03-04 team, these guys like each other, have great chemistry on the court and are having a blast playing basketball.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty WOW!

Post  WTF Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:15 am

They finish a tough stretch of games (past 6) and came away 3-3 but there's still a ton of concerns because they lose to the Bucks, and Pacers to start beat a good young team in the Wolves then lay an turd in the loss to the Cavs, scratch out a win over Thunders in an ugly played game and then pull off this Master Piece over the Celtics.  

There's a lot of confusion to where this team is headed a playoff team seems certain but next level I still don't see it. Great Job! though
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Pride...

Post  Oracle Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:15 am

That's how I felt watching 3 of the key guys from two years ago do so well against a real contender. Drummond, Reggie & Harris, my top 3 players as the reason for us doing so well.

Drummond gave us a glimpse of what he can be, and if Philly isn't scared yet... there's still time for them to wet their pants, because we're real and we're coming their way!!!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Euphoric Lessons

Post  BallinD Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:14 am

What did we learn?

There is no ceiling for this team. When all cylinders are clicking, we can maybe match up with anybody. So the real question is can we consistently play with that nasty edge and shoot lights out? No, of course not.

But like the Going To Work boys, we need all hands on deck if we're to have a chance. But when it happens, it can be magical.

I got a sense the boys wanted to win this one for AB and then went out and did it. If so, that means they are learning how to impose their will on even very good teams. This Drummond is edgy, focused. Tobias is learning how good he can be. Embid and Simmons will be a big test for them coming up.

Go Pistons.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty You're a superstar

Post  Sparma Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 pm

For a night anyway, AD. I'm not on the HoF bandwagon with Murph quite yet, but dang, that was a HoF game by the big guy, e.g., in taking it to Horford late. He worked like a fiend. Sorry, Ben Wallace, but you never had an overall game like this. You either, Rodman. (Laimbeer likely did, as did Lanier.) Reggie had me worried down the stretch taking the game over, but a very fine game by him. He reminds me of Billups in one respect: I'm happy when he gets fouled for FTs late in the game. Spectacular long distance assist to Tobias. Tobias also outstanding. He may merit All Star consideration this year if he can keep it going at this pace. Very nice game by Bradley too, who returned to a rousing ovation.

I feel like it's our best win in years, but how can it be that when we knocked off GS a few weeks ago?
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty A Slight Change

Post  WTF Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Oracle wrote:3. Reggie is a lot better than last year. I tend to agree with Wise, he's so much better because of what he's NOT doing than what he does, but he's still one of the most dangerous guards in the 4th!

This one I might move to the #2 spot because nothing would be working if he was playing like the Reggie of old.  I agree SVG is the #1 reason so early kudos to him convincing Reggie to modify his game so that Harris and Andre get bigger roles offensively.   I think SVG should still consider at times but not all the time in unleashing Reggie.   

Where I'm still finding fault with SVG is that I'm not sold on the 3's and wish he temper it down to no more than 20 attempts a game unless some one is proven hot for that game.   Every time I see a stat line that shows 0 for 5,6,7,8,9 I want to kick the TV.  They were lucky to pull off the OKC game because of that horrid shooting OKC just happened to shoot worst so we squeak out a win.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Oracle/ Thanks

Post  Sparma Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks for that, Oracle! We're all capable of doing better. At this point, we're down to the size of a large family. A dysfunctional family at times, but one that's hung together for a bunch of years now. Let's keep a good thing going, even as some of us get up there in years. I for one have no problem remember details from the Bad Boys era, which is quite a ways back as this point. When I started following the Tigers in 1965, Babe Ruth seemed like ancient history to me as a boy, but he was about as far back (at retirement) as the Bad Boys peak is from us.

Oracle wrote:
Sparma wrote:We're down to a precious few, folks, so let's try to be generous with each other in spite of real, and important, differences.
Thanks for that, and you're, of course, 100% correct.

Ok, I admit to being less than generous and will do my best to get better.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Why are we doing so well?

Post  Oracle Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Here are the reasons, and the order in which they are most responsible

1. Stan Van Gundy beyond a doubt is the biggest reason for what's going on. He actually learned from last season when Ish ran the team and Harris and KCP were unleashed in a motion offense to do tremendous damage. This year, it's basically the offense they run even with Reggie, and the morphing of Drummond to a passing center is nothing short of BRILLIANT! Add Galloway, the return of Tolliver, the drafting of Kennard, and hopefully the bringing back of Ellenson, SVG has not only transformed his coaching, he's made smart moves to solidify the bench. The pickup of Bradley was a good stop gap measure to offset the loss of KCP.

2. Drummond has damn near totally transformed his game in a single off season! He's a very competent passer with surprising court vision, his FT shooting allows him to be in the game deep into the 4th, and his athletic ability allows him to drive to the rim against almost any center. If that wasn't enough, we've seen improvement on the defensive end. He's not as consistent there yet, but you can see improvement.

EDIT: 2a. Harris: How did I forget this one!!! Harris is HUGE because he also made a dramatic off season change... He added the 3 point shot to his formidable arsenal! Last season he was too shy to shoot the 3, this season, he not only takes them when available, he's making them as well. Harris is right behind Drummond, and a real prime mover of this team.

3. Reggie is a lot better than last year. I tend to agree with Wise, he's so much better because of what he's NOT doing than what he does, but he's still one of the most dangerous guards in the 4th!

4. Ish Smith just plays all out, he doesn't seem to know another way, and outside of the Cleveland game, his defense has been good and his offense even better.

5. Galloway & Tolliver: I almost want to call them our pit bulls because they deliver a sweet combination of offense and defense. I expected some offensive punch, but the defense has surprised me.

6. Bradley & Stanley: Neither are the main reason for what's going on, but if they weren't contributing, we'd be worse off. Stanley is the bigger change. He still has a long way to go, but I'm starting to see his confidence and production grow. Bradley works well in the motion offense and is very opportunistic defensively, and I do believe some of that has rubbed off on Stanley. Bradley learned under the wings of some of the greats, Rondo, Garnett & company, and he's learned a lot from them.

There are my reasons and I really want to give SVG the credit he has coming, especially after I leveled so much blame on him when he was screwing up Smile

Last edited by Oracle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Stevens

Post  Oracle Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:01 pm

lemonpen wrote:Given their roster turnover then start where would you rank Brad Stevens among current coaches.

Given slow starts to so many games do you think it would help to go to a specific guy (Harris) on the first X number of possessions.  

Oh the sub-plots of this Monday matchup.  Morris/Harris,  Baynes/Dre, Bradley/C's, #1/#2, Bradley/Irvin.

When it comes to "lessons", I hope we're the teacher instead of pupil.
Lemon, he's got to be one of the best coaches in the game right now! Amazing what they're doing, but like us, they are getting contributions from places thah while not totally unexpected, it's better than expected.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Sparma

Post  Oracle Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Sparma wrote:We're down to a precious few, folks, so let's try to be generous with each other in spite of real, and important, differences.
Thanks for that, and you're, of course, 100% correct.

Ok, I admit to being less than generous and will do my best to get better.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 17 Empty Stuff

Post  lemonpen Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Given their roster turnover then start where would you rank Brad Stevens among current coaches.

Given slow starts to so many games do you think it would help to go to a specific guy (Harris) on the first X number of possessions.

Oh the sub-plots of this Monday matchup. Morris/Harris, Baynes/Dre, Bradley/C's, #1/#2, Bradley/Irvin.

When it comes to "lessons", I hope we're the teacher instead of pupil.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next