Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+11
Murph
PistonPete
Sissy1946
lemonpen
FlyDog
Phil-Good
deusXango
Sebastian
merc
Fennis Dembo
Sparma
15 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Oh! DX When Will The Madness End

Post  WTF Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:55 pm

The #2 problem I have understanding is why you're so eager to be rid of Monroe, and find all sort of shortcomings with his developing game (in three years), but you and your crew are still pondering if, after six years, this player who's posted mediocre numbers for his career and demonstrated gross inconsistency should be rewarded with another contract (equal to Jennings), if he reaches, what are obviously, your low expectations for him. If Stuckey doesn't make the All-Star team this year and signs a contract equal to what Jennings is being paid, it's the same as giving Monroe a max deal!!! - DX

DX, Stuckey no matter how great of a season he has won't require a Max Deal, and the is a huge difference in paying Stuckey 21-24 over three season than giving Monroe over 60 for five seasons. While can justify giving Stuckey 21-24 over three season even if he only reaches his career average 13 points and 4 assist, I could never justify paying 60 on a guy that average 16 points and 8 rebounds over 5 seasons. I would rather resign CV than extend Monroe a Max Deal, Charlie is a far better shooter, plays defense just as well and have bigger balls. in fact Monroe has the smallest balls on the team. BTW if KCP put up the same stats as Stuckey you would be talking about how great he is. Sorry Stuckey stats are just as comparable to Princes stats and not many folks complained. If Stuckey proves he belong I would extend him.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Effing AMAZING!!!

Post  WTF Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Oracle wrote:Lions Win!!!

After this win I'll have to cut Stafford some slack.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Effing AMAZING!!!

Post  Oracle Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Lions Win!!!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  merc Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm

TBH, I'm not a fan of Jennings or Knight as a long term solution at PG... I don't know why Joe thinks that Jennings won't get abused on defense... Knight will score but is anything but a facilitator.
Hoping they use Jennings to "trade up"
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Over-valuing I See

Post  deusXango Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 pm

WISEFAN wrote:
deusXango wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:
I actually think Jennings would make for the better sixth man on this team.
WOW!! We traded Knight and Middleton for a player to come in and play a 6th man role on a 29 win team? I don't think that'll fly in Ann Arbor, Wise, any more than resigning Stuckey, and letting Monroe go.

Gosh Darn DX, It's not like Joe gave up the house by trading away Knight and Middleton who I think many of you way over-valued and it's not like Jennings is making a ton of money.  Didn't you just say that Monroe could anchor the bench with a Max Deal in hand so we shouldn't trade him? Believe me if Monroe was getting the same money as Jennings I would have an issue if he anchored the bench tb 

If Stuckey plays like the Stuckey many of us think he can then I wouldn't have an issue with him getting a 3 year deal like the same one we just offered Jennings.
Wise, the #1 problem I have with your reasoning is the cost of Jennings that you're trying to minimize; a young, big, developing PG in Knight and a big, pure shooting, athletic, SG candidate (on a team that has only one SG of that type) in Middleton, for Jennings, is somehow a bargain in your mind. If Jennings and Stuckey are equal, and the Bucks clearly were done with Jennings, why didn't they want Stuckey, just to be rid of Jennings?

The #2 problem I have understanding is why you're so eager to be rid of Monroe, and find all sort of shortcomings with his developing game (in three years), but you and your crew are still pondering if, after six years, this player who's posted mediocre numbers for his career and demonstrated gross inconsistency should be rewarded with another contract (equal to Jennings), if he reaches, what are obviously, your low expectations for him. If Stuckey doesn't make the All-Star team this year and signs a contract equal to what Jennings is being paid, it's the same as giving Monroe a max deal!!!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Over-valuing I See

Post  WTF Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:52 am

deusXango wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:
WOW!! We traded Knight and Middleton for a player to come in and play a 6th man role on a 29 win team? I don't think that'll fly in Ann Arbor, Wise, any more than resigning Stuckey, and letting Monroe go.

Gosh Darn DX, It's not like Joe gave up the house by trading away Knight and Middleton who I think many of you way over-valued and it's not like Jennings is making a ton of money.  Didn't you just say that Monroe could anchor the bench with a Max Deal in hand so we shouldn't trade him? Believe me if Monroe was getting the same money as Jennings I would have an issue if he anchored the bench tb 

If Stuckey plays like the Stuckey many of us think he can then I wouldn't have an issue with him getting a 3 year deal like the same one we just offered Jennings.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:40 am

The lack of BBall IQ scares me about this team... Chauncey's got his hands full.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty I didn't know you were a graduate of U of M

Post  deusXango Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:07 am

WISEFAN wrote:
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty I'm No Bulldog I'm a Wolverine

Post  WTF Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Wise, you never let up do you? That's one of the things I like about you; you get a bulldog grip on something and won't let go.lol With the excitement of the new season on me, I give credit where credit is due; Jennings, Billups, and Stuckey are needed A.S.A.P. - DX

Well as I predicted Stuckey will likely play and start the season opener along side CB a good thing. But I really would like to see both Stuckey and KCP on the floor together because those 2 can get on the same page that could be a thing of beauty. If both pay attention and listen to CB and does as he says I wouldn't mind if they decide to resign him.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty OM effing G

Post  Oracle Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:56 pm

"Oracle, I think you must have been a tad sleepy when you posted this.....the Timberwolves, not the Grizzlies, are who you're talking about and I agree with you 100%. The Wolves bear watching!" - DX!!!

Wow!!! Thanks DX, who knows what I was thinking lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Wizards and Suns Trade ...

Post  Sebastian Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:54 pm

deusXango wrote:
Oracle wrote:I don't think that Grizzly team is going to be a door mat in the west! Since the west is so tough, they may not make the playoffs, but they should at least challenge with Love back, and Martin & Rubio in the backcourt! They also played without that PeckerBitch dude, so they have more size... IMO, look out for the Grizzlies!

DX, your boy is TOAST - Royce White released by 76ers
Oracle, I think you must have been a tad sleepy when you posted this.....the Timberwolves, not the Grizzlies, are who you're talking about and I agree with you 100%. The Wolves bear watching!

Royce White has been toast; he's burnt toast now!!

Wise, you never let up do you? That's one of the things I like about you; you get a bulldog grip on something and won't let go.lol With the excitement of the new season on me, I give credit where credit is due; Jennings, Billups, and Stuckey are needed A.S.A.P.

I knew that Sparma didn't originate the "10 game Lil' Larry" comment, but had re-posted it from that ridiculous SI article. We're very polite when it comes to ignoring each other, but I respected his view on that subject so I used it. If he felt attacked by me, he would have retaliated, trust me.

Am I alone in the feeling that with the acquisition of Marcin Gortat, the Wizards are serious contenders for a playoff spot? IMHO he's a damn sight better than Omeka Okafor, and the backcourt is already something to be reckoned with. Curse me for a fool, but I wish we had a backcourt equal to the Wizards. Okafor didn't play in our pre-season game, but Gortat may play in the opener, which should be interesting.

Sebastian, I don't know what to say to you about your boy Stuckey, other than you're ahead of the game right now; we must rely on him for a number of logical reasons, so kudos. Now go find Grizz.
Yo, DX, I believe the Wizards are trying to make it to the Playoffs, this season. The Gortat for Okafor trade is an indication of their ambition to play in late April.

Now, the Suns have shown their hand and are trying to get as low as they can go, so that they can compete with the Sixers for the 1st Pick.

I personally think that tanking for unproven younguns is not the way to go, before the season even tips off.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Grizzlies & Stuff

Post  deusXango Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Oracle wrote:I don't think that Grizzly team is going to be a door mat in the west! Since the west is so tough, they may not make the playoffs, but they should at least challenge with Love back, and Martin & Rubio in the backcourt! They also played without that PeckerBitch dude, so they have more size... IMO, look out for the Grizzlies!

Oracle, I think you must have been a tad sleepy when you posted this.....the Timberwolves, not the Grizzlies, are who you're talking about and I agree with you 100%. The Wolves bear watching!

Royce White has been toast; he's burnt toast now!!

Wise, you never let up do you? That's one of the things I like about you; you get a bulldog grip on something and won't let go.lol With the excitement of the new season on me, I give credit where credit is due; Jennings, Billups, and Stuckey are needed A.S.A.P.

I knew that Sparma didn't originate the "10 game Lil' Larry" comment, but had re-posted it from that ridiculous SI article. We're very polite when it comes to ignoring each other, but I respected his view on that subject so I used it. If he felt attacked by me, he would have retaliated, trust me.

Am I alone in the feeling that with the acquisition of Marcin Gortat, the Wizards are serious contenders for a playoff spot? IMHO he's a damn sight better than Omeka Okafor, and the backcourt is already something to be reckoned with. Curse me for a fool, but I wish we had a backcourt equal to the Wizards. Okafor didn't play in our pre-season game, but Gortat may play in the opener, which should be interesting.

Sebastian, I don't know what to say to you about your boy Stuckey, other than you're ahead of the game right now; we must rely on him for a number of logical reasons, so kudos. Now go find Grizz.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Grizzlies & Stuff

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't think that Grizzly team is going to be a door mat in the west! Since the west is so tough, they may not make the playoffs, but they should at least challenge with Love back, and Martin & Rubio in the backcourt! They also played without that PeckerBitch dude, so they have more size... IMO, look out for the Grizzlies!

Links:
Ex-Wolves player Mike Miller is mulling idea of suing Miami Heat

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Don't Look Cool

Post  WTF Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:21 pm

BR just creamed Singler
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Gores Look Like A Clown Rushing Court

Post  WTF Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Please a preseason game and this is how an owner acts. That was the dumbest crap I've seen from an owner ever. I know Mark Cuban but I don't think Cuban would have done this for a preseason game. jocolor 
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Oracle, LB Was Playing Hang Man On Clipboard

Post  WTF Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Oracle wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:
I wasn't disagreeing with your assessment of Cheeks, just that LB was an X's and O's guy lol 
I guess you & Don think that all LB had on that clipboard he carried around and was drawing on was what? Pictures of the players wives that he would threaten to show if they didn't defend? lol
Remember the thought on hiring Flip was that we need more offensive production. Man I don't know how many game we couldn't score 80 points but our defense was so damn good we got away with single digits quarters in game. Our defense was especially good in the 4th.

What made LB look so good was the fact that Rip was money coming off screens and CB was what else Mr. Big Shot, but when those two were off we sucked offensively.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Just Finish Watching The Game Again (Third Time)

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:09 pm

WISEFAN wrote:A Few Things:

1. I decided to watch all the games on Mute! I can't wait until we get rid of Kelser and Blaha facepalm 
2. I have to agree with you Cool, that Drummond defense is suspect at the moment. He's going to get dunks and he's going to rebound, but he should be swatting shots like Mutombo and Hakeem.
3. Hurray back starting back-court please or this team will start off slow.
4. Yes after watching for the third time Monroe is still a Big Puss.
5. KCP did look better than in previous games
LOL, they're cute, but so delusional!!!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Wise

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:04 pm

WISEFAN wrote:
I wasn't disagreeing with your assessment of Cheeks, just that LB was an X's and O's guy lol 
I guess you & Don think that all LB had on that clipboard he carried around and was drawing on was what? Pictures of the players wives that he would threaten to show if they didn't defend? lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Just Finish Watching The Game Again (Third Time)

Post  WTF Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm

A Few Things:

1. I decided to watch all the games on Mute! I can't wait until we get rid of Kelser and Blaha facepalm 
2. I have to agree with you Cool, that Drummond defense is suspect at the moment. He's going to get dunks and he's going to rebound, but he should be swatting shots like Mutombo and Hakeem.
3. Hurray back starting back-court please or this team will start off slow.
4. Yes after watching for the third time Monroe is still a Big Puss.
5. KCP did look better than in previous games
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Don: The postive things I saw last night relating to the current Piston players

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Good post!

1. Yes, JJ has won the job over CV, however we will see CV from time to time, but the bulk of the minutes at backup PF would appear to go to JJ!

2.  Bynum is perfect for what we need him for, but he's obviously getting way too many minutes right now due to injury to others. That will change, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

3.  KCP & Siva? What can I say, Joe's draft was EXCELLENT, as you can also add Mitchell to that list! I'm very pleased!

4. Drummond looks out of shape to me, and you're right, he seems to get lost defensively from time to time recently! None of that stops him from being the new Ben Wallace in his prime! He grabbed 20 rebounds!!! Those are Big Ben numbers!!! He'll be fine, but now I see why they limited his minutes last year.

5.  Monroe is also fine, but it's legitimate to criticize his midrange shooting! To be honest, it's horrid, but if folks only focus on that, they'll miss all of the other things he does so well! If he never gets a dependable midrange shot, I would still like to keep him, but without it, he's simply NOT a MAX player, IMO!

6.  Smith did impress me, but that doesn't mean that I liked everything I saw. However, we really need to temper judgments of some things until we are whole and complete. So far so good!

7. Singler looked good in THIS game! Singler is an indispensable part of the team right now. He does so many things right on the court that helps this team in many ways, and he's a great passer as well! Between him, Monroe & Smith, we have a frontcourt of playmakers! Did you see that pass to KCP on the break? SWEET!!!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Coaches?

Post  WTF Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Oracle wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:Okay I have to chime in on this.  You don't have to be a great X's and O's type of coach to be successful.  Oracle I would have to disagree that LB was a great X's and O's guy least on the offensive end.  LB was a motivator who stress defense and believed offense would always find it's way into a game.  LB had 2 offensive plays Chauncey give ball to Rip, Rip give ball back to Chauncey.  

Cheek don't need a big play book, he just need the few plays he has to run correctly.
That was my point!

There's always more than one way to skin a cat, and I described how Cheeks could be successful WITHOUT being a great technician!

But you have to know your weaknesses and work around them!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Wise

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:41 pm

WISEFAN wrote:Sebastian, Sparma was just quoting from an SI article, he read on the Pistons.  

DX should have been on Cloud 9 with Jennings, Stuckey out and Chauncey sitting most of preseason. Funny he still manage to whine just a little lol about all three even though his ponies in the race were getting **** loads of PT with them all sidelined.  

I'm glad to see some joining our side on this Jennings, Stuckey, and Chauncey rotation.  I wouldn't worry much about CB's defense because we need him to settle things down and be Clutch when we need him.  Now truthfully and quietly I would love to see the tandem of Stuckey and KCP in the back-court so I hope KCP gets some PT.  I think defensively those two together will give opposing back-courts fits.  
Oh yeah, that would be a great backcourt defensively!!

Two large guards that can defend! You can put money on that lineup when we have a lead to protect!!!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Coaches?

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 pm

WISEFAN wrote:Okay I have to chime in on this.  You don't have to be a great X's and O's type of coach to be successful.  Oracle I would have to disagree that LB was a great X's and O's guy least on the offensive end.  LB was a motivator who stress defense and believed offense would always find it's way into a game.  LB had 2 offensive plays Chauncey give ball to Rip, Rip give ball back to Chauncey.  

Cheek don't need a big play book, he just need the few plays he has to run correctly.
That was my point!

There's always more than one way to skin a cat, and I described how Cheeks could be successful WITHOUT being a great technician!

But you have to know your weaknesses and work around them!

Last edited by Oracle on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Wisefan this is a post that I like. One of the things that most fans didn't know was happening when Brown was the coach in Detroit was that Brown's assistants actually did 90% of the real work relating to creating the defense and the offensive sets and the execution of those sets and interacting with the players in practice. But your thought about Brown was not what I found interesting about your post. What I liked was your thought about how this coaching staff is approaching things with the players this year. Under Frank and the previous head coaches, they failed to do the one thing that creates confidence in a team. They made things too complex for NBA players to grasp. The pace of an NBA game is fast and to execute plays and get into proper defensive rotations requires split second reaction. Mo Cheeks is trying to keep things as simple as possible so his players can be successful with the basics. As opposed to Frank, Cheeks knows who he is working with and has adjusted the framework to fit this group of players. Even keeping things really simple doesn't mean that the players won't make a lot of mistakes but if each player knows their role and where they need to be in all situations will help them with their confidence. And confidence means everything in how basketball players perform. I think as a coach, you can teach and have players execute more complex offensive sets and run multiple defenses with a high school team than an NBA team. The players are younger and more capable of learning things and the game is slower which allows players to react mentally to situations during games. You can see that the players are feeling that they are having fun this year on this Piston team. I saw Cheeks talke to Siva during a pause in the action and Siva moving away with a smile. That is cool so way to go Mo Cheeks!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Coaches

Post  Sparma Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for that clarification, Wise! I don't think the players will be missing Frank, at least not in any significant number.

What I liked in the SI quotation is the idea of Billups being a kind of secondary coach on the floor (granted that the SI authore overstated the issue a bit).

SI's harsh about Cheeks, but probably accurate, I would agree with Oracle (about not being an X'nOs guy and not being a disciplinarian). That said, I'm optimistic about Cheeks' impact on the team in the short run. As Wise pointed out, there's more to coaching than the XnOs. I really like the idea of more than one guy running the offense (a la Bad Boys with Dumars pitching in with the distributing). Also, Cheeks' gung ho attitudes towards some guys, like Stuckey, should have a positive effect.

I wasn't buying what SI said about Frank. I never saw him as a great tactician. If he had such a high caliber basketball mind, I didn't see the effects on the floor. I wonder if any players miss him? Maybe Singler who was given surprising opportunities (of which he made good use!) and now needs to prove himself all over, maybe the departed Knight would have, because he seemed coddled until Dumars intervened with the Calderon trade. Langlois brought up that Frank had a very structured schedule for days off, so maybe players will miss that kind of thing.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next