Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+5
deusXango
Murph
Sparma
lemonpen
Phil-Good
9 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty As the Pistons world turns

Post  Sparma Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Weird stuff, no doubt, guys. I think I saw Niyo first contend that the trade really was about next year. Best to stick with that version of things now.

Do we agree that Reggie Bullock is our third best, or at least third most prominent, player until the other Reggie returns? I suppose it'd be between him and Ish. Wouldn't have seen that coming at the beginning of the year. He's our best shooter, and (Kelser says) our best cutter now that Bradley's gone. A really skilled guy. Smooth. I find it difficult to assess his defense. Can't remember a ton of good passing coming from him. He's on a great contract (for the team), which we don't get to say very often in Pistons land.

BallinD wrote:So Wise, the spin is now that the trade is really about next year, you see how that works?  "You just wait till Weggie comes back and you will see the full glory of Stan Van Architect in action, he who can turn this whole thing around on a dime," goes this new narrative of the hopeful and deluded.  

Not to worry, SVG has not had the proper chance to coach this team up!  That is why he is going back to basics: run up the court, guard the three point line, get back on defense, move the ball!
Bufffoonery and Tomfoolery! "That one is on me," sez SVG
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty The Spin Game

Post  BallinD Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:37 pm

So Wise, the spin is now that the trade is really about next year, you see how that works? "You just wait till Weggie comes back and you will see the full glory of Stan Van Architect in action, he who can turn this whole thing around on a dime," goes this new narrative of the hopeful and deluded.

Not to worry, SVG has not had the proper chance to coach this team up! That is why he is going back to basics: run up the court, guard the three point line, get back on defense, move the ball!
Bufffoonery and Tomfoolery! "That one is on me," sez SVG
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Too Funny Dept.

Post  WTF Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 pm

At the time of the big trade both the Clippers and Piston were sitting in the 9th spots of their respective conferences but since the trade the Clippers now sit in 8th and back in the playoffs while the Pistons have falling a hair form being in the 10th spot and no chance of a playoff birth.   

In the famous words of Tayshaun Prince this is some Buffoonery!  facepalm
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Toronto

Post  Sparma Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 am

Close, but letting up 40 points in a quarter against the Eastern leader tends to do you in. No Ibaka for most of the game. Plenty of DeRozan though. And Griffin with 31. Wait till next decade!

Listened to the game as I worked on decluttering the house. Time well spent!

BallinD wrote:Toronto on SGOB2B,  therefore we have found the only thing that matters in PistonLand in order for us to win!  Works every time!
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty GuarranSheed!

Post  BallinD Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Toronto on SGOB2B, therefore we have found the only thing that matters in PistonLand in order for us to win! Works every time!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty I Love It

Post  WTF Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm

BallinD wrote:

Screaming A. Smith sez, Wattup SVG? Not gonna give you a pass this year. And no, It's not because of Weggie!  You are the common denominator.  You are the Turd...(well he didn't go quite that far, but we all know how Stevie A. do it, LOL, and in general, I am not a fan of his hyperbole, but...) I'm thinking more and more that Old Yeller is done around these parts.  They are starting to see that the Emperor has no clothes on, and it's not a pretty sight.

Only wish our local media spoke the same way, everyday and all the time.  Media stop trying to sell us on the bullshit and casual fans stop buying the only thing that matters are wins and championship or at least it should.  

Even a lot of real fans have fallen for the smoke and mirrors since around 2007-08 when most of them know better especially those that have witness both eras "Bad Boys, and Goin To Work"  We know what matters and what it takes to win here "PISTONS DNA"  we know what's that's about but still we loose our minds about marginable players becoming Elite Players because the team and local media sell that ****.   We loose our minds over stats as if it means something knowing it don't mean **** if a W is not the end result.   

Max was correct AD is good but he's not all of that and I've only been saying that since he got here,  Reggie is good but he's not all of that and you almost can say the same thing about BG.  But Stephen A is spot on that it's SVG we all see it and we all know it.   Many of you suggested and predicted 50 plus wins solely on the players we have and I understand that,  I predicted 39 wins because the coach/prez is stupid and this is where I do disagree with Stevie A because I don't think SVG was ever a good coach.  

I'm hoping Gore got a whiff of this, I'm hoping SVG ass is canned.  

Again people Stevie addressed his enjoyment to coming to the Palace when the Goin To Work crew was doing their thing,  I sure we all remember those times as well so lets stop acting like casual fans when you all know better.  Everyone on this Forum knows better and need to be far more critical of the **** they keep trying to feed us.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty What The Hell Has Happened in the D?!

Post  BallinD Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Screaming A. Smith sez, Wattup SVG? Not gonna give you a pass this year. And no, It's not because of Weggie!  You are the common denominator.  You are the Turd...(well he didn't go quite that far, but we all know how Stevie A. do it, LOL, and in general, I am not a fan of his hyperbole, but...) I'm thinking more and more that Old Yeller is done around these parts. They are starting to see that the Emperor has no clothes on, and it's not a pretty sight.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Good Post ballingD

Post  Phil-Good Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:00 am

Good post BallinD

I agree 100%.

I blame GORES! Gores is A TRASH OWNER Until proven other wise.

Van Gundy is A ok coach but he does not get max value out of his talent and also. Van Gundy can't draft well and he not good at developing young talent.

Qualities that every successful GM must possess.

Good luck and have A nice life Van Gundy!
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Cleveland

Post  Sparma Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Started listening in the second half; maybe someone else can provide specific, incisive, commentary.  I'd predicted they'd do well, thinking that Andre often rises to the occasion in big games.  Looks like I'm overrating this team to the bitter end.  And I'm generally a pessimist!
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Fingerprints of Panic

Post  Sparma Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 am

I agree with your skepticism, BallinD, that the Griffin trade was driven by anything else but SVG's desperation. I don't doubt but that Tellum and Gores signed off on it, but SVG was the driving force.

Incredible spin by Langlois about the new look Pistons with Blake finding his offensive feet vs the Heat. Dude got beaten up but good; that's not how he wants to play on the regular. He went all out for the most important game of the year, and was left exhausted in the 4th, but he can't/ won't spend that level of energy each game; got to find a more sustainable way to play.

Read that SVG would turn down just coaching, if no longer Prez. I don't buy that. He had that kind of leverage coming in, but not any more.

I expect the Pistons to play well v the Cavs. May not win, but play well, at least for most of the game.

BallinD wrote:Go Stones.  IMO, we can roll into 2018-19 with Dre and Griff, maybe even Weggie cause we will need to establish a market for him and stop giving away talent for nothing.  Since we are in no position to make noise and have little prospects of internal improvement (except maybe Kennard/SJ??), we are left with the little questions: Can we keep Ennis?  Can we trade Leuer? Can we trade Weggie? Galloway? Can we be the little engine that could?  

Bye Bye SVG, thanks for trying.  You failed, but you definitely tried.  No clue if Tellem will be giving orders or taking orders from Gores (scary).  Can we get Chauncey in here?  Yes!  What else can we do?  Get younger, focus on longer, lankier, playmakers who may be flying under the radar.  Draft like fiends!

I'm not gonna sit here and pine away for the 3rd or 4th pick; that is pathetic, but it may be all we got.  Not me, but I understand it.  It's hard to maintain ferver for a capped out lottery team led by a disingenuous buffoon out to protect his legacy and scheme more than taking a clean slate approach to Deeeeetroit Basketball.  Maybe Gores set that tone, but then I have even less respect for SVG because he is supposed to be a basketball mind.  

I think Gores was poised to listen to the strong voice of a basketball mind willing to tell him the truth, but SVG was too thirsty for success to keep it real.  Can't blame him, and I'm not buying that Gores championed the trade.  I would trade dollars to donuts that this was SVG trying to throw a hail mary, which Tellem, Gores and everybody else should have shot down as a mercy killing.  IMHO  "Just change the seat covers and go for broke" was the sentiment.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Pathetic

Post  BallinD Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Go Stones. IMO, we can roll into 2018-19 with Dre and Griff, maybe even Weggie cause we will need to establish a market for him and stop giving away talent for nothing. Since we are in no position to make noise and have little prospects of internal improvement (except maybe Kennard/SJ??), we are left with the little questions: Can we keep Ennis? Can we trade Leuer? Can we trade Weggie? Galloway? Can we be the little engine that could?

Bye Bye SVG, thanks for trying. You failed, but you definitely tried. No clue if Tellem will be giving orders or taking orders from Gores (scary). Can we get Chauncey in here? Yes! What else can we do? Get younger, focus on longer, lankier, playmakers who may be flying under the radar. Draft like fiends!

I'm not gonna sit here and pine away for the 3rd or 4th pick; that is pathetic, but it may be all we got. Not me, but I understand it. It's hard to maintain ferver for a capped out lottery team led by a disingenuous buffoon out to protect his legacy and scheme more than taking a clean slate approach to Deeeeetroit Basketball. Maybe Gores set that tone, but then I have even less respect for SVG because he is supposed to be a basketball mind.

I think Gores was poised to listen to the strong voice of a basketball mind willing to tell him the truth, but SVG was too thirsty for success to keep it real. Can't blame him, and I'm not buying that Gores championed the trade. I would trade dollars to donuts that this was SVG trying to throw a hail mary, which Tellem, Gores and everybody else should have shot down as a mercy killing. IMHO "Just change the seat covers and go for broke" was the sentiment.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Stretch canter

Post  Sparma Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:30 am

Everything looks different if we luck into a top 3 pick.

Weirdly, some important things have gone really well in the past 3 games.  Against Milwaukee, Moreland played the game of his life, and Stanley J was outstanding.  Moreland looked like a real offensive threat, eg, cutting in from the side and finishing impressively with his left.  We're on our way to a dynamic bench!!  We've got a chance playing like this!  2) SJ has spoken about a possible big 3 with Reggie J back.  Be that as it may, clearly the SG and SF starting spots are big.  Reggie B (this year's revelation, sitting among league leaders from 3) and Ennis on fire against Orlando: the starting lineup's getting it together!  3) Against Miami, Griffin and Drummond played like superstars (granted Blake faded down the stretch and AD lost a crucial bound to Whiteside).  Our pillars are looking great!

I think SVG's overdone our lack of defensive effort this year, in part masking poor offensive design by him.  But in this crummy stretch defensive effort may have been our biggest problem.  First 20 games, we scrambled, played physical, covered for each others.  That kind of effort's really scarce now.  I feel that partly reflects the team not being willing to play hard for the coach.

Stan, personally, has one big shot left.  We're, what, 19-14 with Reggie J, terrible without him (by contrast, last year we talked about how he had a negative impact on the team).  If Reggie J comes back, even for 10 games, and we play well in that stretch, I think that would go a long way to save SVG's job.  Then, he can lay it on thick with "If only...." (Even without that, my guess is he gets one more shot as coach, in a diminished role).

WTF wrote:
Sparma wrote:Lucking into a top 3 choice would make a world of difference, WTF, agreed.  That's now become their best hope.  Per Tankathon, their odds of landing top 3 -- retaining their pick and having a real shot at a star -- stand at 2.5%.  Not good, but not nothing either.

WTF wrote:Good thing is they'll play their way straight into the lottery and get lucky enough to keep that pick  tb here's hoping.  Getting a top 3 pick changes the outlook of the future IMO if they can add a to BG and AD.   It's not a rebuild they need it's a total tank job to the end of the season that holds any real hope if they got a top 3 pick in hand this summer.

It's all we got Sparma getting that top 3 pick and firing SVG if this team has any shot moving forward.  They'll have an option of drafting well or moving that pick along with RJ for that 3rd potential ALL STAR player.   

The roster doesn't stink but it's not great a lot can still happen if Gore is smart enough to pull the trigger on firing SVG.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Josh Smith

Post  Murph Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 am

Cutting Josh Smith and his huge contract was SVG's first big mistake.  If SVG had just kept Smith, and brought him off the bench as a back-up PF for 18 or 20 minutes a game, he would have made Jon Leuer and his $10 million a year contract unnecessary.

Now we've had Smith's contract hanging around our neck for 5 years, and Leuer's  contract hanging around for the last 2 years and the next 2 years...with zero production from either one.  This is beyond stupid.

And that doesn't even take into account ruining what was left of Smith's career for no reason.

SVG is not only an idiot, he's an A-hole.

I could not be happier for Greg Monroe. After years of misuse, he's has finally found a home and is making a solid contribution off the bench for Boston. Every NBA player should be lucky enough to play for Brad Stevens.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty It's A Long Shot but........

Post  WTF Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 am

Sparma wrote:Lucking into a top 3 choice would make a world of difference, WTF, agreed.  That's now become their best hope.  Per Tankathon, their odds of landing top 3 -- retaining their pick and having a real shot at a star -- stand at 2.5%.  Not good, but not nothing either.

WTF wrote:Good thing is they'll play their way straight into the lottery and get lucky enough to keep that pick  tb here's hoping.  Getting a top 3 pick changes the outlook of the future IMO if they can add a to BG and AD.   It's not a rebuild they need it's a total tank job to the end of the season that holds any real hope if they got a top 3 pick in hand this summer.

It's all we got Sparma getting that top 3 pick and firing SVG if this team has any shot moving forward.  They'll have an option of drafting well or moving that pick along with RJ for that 3rd potential ALL STAR player.   

The roster doesn't stink but it's not great a lot can still happen if Gore is smart enough to pull the trigger on firing SVG.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Hope/ WTF

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Lucking into a top 3 choice would make a world of difference, WTF, agreed. That's now become their best hope. Per Tankathon, their odds of landing top 3 -- retaining their pick and having a real shot at a star -- stand at 2.5%. Not good, but not nothing either.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Keeping Hope Alive People

Post  WTF Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Good thing is they'll play their way straight into the lottery and get lucky enough to keep that pick  tb here's hoping.  Getting a top 3 pick changes the outlook of the future IMO if they can add a to BG and AD.   It's not a rebuild they need it's a total tank job to the end of the season that holds any real hope if they got a top 3 pick in hand this summer.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty That's a wrap

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Biggest game of the year and we lost, comfortably. Can't blame Blake for this one. He took a beating but put up superstar numbers, also leading the team in +/-. Showed real spirit, earning multiple 3 point opportunities. Andre put up HoF numbers, but doesn't show up so well in +/-. Kelser remarked that he may be the best in league at second and third chance opportunities, often cleaning up his own misses. They showed a stat that he (at 24!) has the most career 10 offensive rebound games in the NBA, tonight being one of them. Not nearly enough from the team as a whole though.

If I had any sense, I'd stop watching them now, trying to make the best of what's left of my life at 60. Unlikely to happen though. They're strangely addicting to follow, with an upheaval likely ahead, even though, or because, they have little maneuverability. What a season. Memorable, but in a bad way.

Now Stan has cause for being sour. That's the problem with being generally sour; where do you go when things genuinely go south? Out the door as exec, at least, would be my guess.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Halftime in Miami and the Fat Lady's Singing

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Down 13, and that's after a bit of a Piston surge. The notion of a "must" win is overused, but that's what tonight is.

Griffin working like a dog, with 20 at halftime, including frees after a flagrant by Winslow draped around his neck. AD with a double double by halftime. Not much from anyone else.

This shouldn't be a losing team, but it is. I could see them pulling it together next year, but we're looking at a seriously limited ceiling moving forward unless something weird happens. Maybe we can get one of those (about to be) disgraced NCAA coaches to give us a whirl?

BallinD talked about fear of the cupboard being bare; I think Stanley J and Kennard can be above average NBA players, and Ellenson a solid contributor. But given our lack of options at least one of them needs to become a star, and the odds of that happening look really long to me. Don's spoken of Sean Miller as if he's a magician. We need a Brad Stevens level miracle, along with an executive committed to the long term a la Danny Ainge.

Maybe they still pull this out? Looking very doubtful. Hasn't Miami been playing badly? We seem to have a way of restoring opponents to health.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty More Ranting

Post  WTF Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Paying Josh isn't as big of an issue either way the money was spent.  They could have outright bought out Josh but chose to spread it out yeah maybe stupid in hindsight but initially short of trading him wasn't that bad of a plan and it certainly not the cause of our concerns now.  

Letting Moose and KCP walk for nothing was perhaps worse than still paying for Josh,  but even in letting those 2 walk is was always the follow up to doing both that was of major concern.  Picking up Morris wasn't bad until we gave him up for Bradley who we replaced with the walking KCP.  Having kept KCP at some reasonable cost is still a lot cheaper than what we're giving up now in salary to Blake.   Almost makes sense we gave KCP close to a Max Deal we'll still have Harris and our picks and if not the same record possibly a better one.   

IMO there wasn't a trade offer or rumor about Reggie that SVG should have bulked at.  I was so certain SVG would move Reggie before the season started it made all the sense in the world to do so.  In fact taking less in return shouldn't have been an issue hear either but SVG just paid Reggie 17 million to sit almost an entire season this year.  This was stupid.

But considering all the Stupid things here this team was still capable at it's worse of winning 30 plus games and the only real difference between winning 30 or 50 games is 2 simple things and they are a competent coach and competent PG.  I'm not even talking about an Elite Coach or PG but just your average run of the mill coach and pg running this team would have push this team to 50 wins this season.  

I honestly don't think a rebuild is needed at this point of no return but a new coach and pg is required and neither is impossible to accomplish.   There might not be another Zeke in our future but there's a CB another CB out there for us we did have one in Dinwiddie but SVG couldn't wait, and there are enough of protégés of LB, Flip, Pop, Jackson, and Riley we should be able to give a coaching job to.  Finding a better coach is the least of our problem just pick anybody and you'll accomplish that feat.  SVG is the worse.  

Honestly I wouldn't mind giving Cheeks another run with this team his issue was Joe's meddling and not his ability to coach.  Our players aren't the reason we suck it's the coach.  He has no plan, no offensive plan, no defensive plan, no off season preparation plan, no practice plan, no follow up plan after trades he has nothing.   After trading for Blake there should have been already in play 3 planned moves to follow but it seem like SVG was just grasping at straws after the move.  Just as he did with letting Moose walk, buying out Josh, and letting KCP walk.

JL hasn't played in 2 years,  Boban hasn't played and been traded,  Again this coach sucks and need to be fired.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Where Do We Go From Here

Post  BallinD Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Let's start with a win, although I am torn and fear that any late season meaningless wins will just buy SVG another year.  This team is as much a mystery to me as it is apparently to SVG and staff, although in my gut, I feel he has again lost the team, similar to last year and has lost quite a bit of the respect you would expect a competent HC to earn from his players.  

If we here, who pay attention, have lost all respect for him, and can see that he is a chemistry killer, imagine what the team thinks, those who see his Panic Junkie madness up close and personal. No matter what buttons Stan pushes it is inevitably a day late and a dollar short.  SMH.  I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy, a prisoner of the old school, of his hubris, and inability to see that the league has passed him by.  We know he is trying and he wants it bad.  Kinda sad, if it wasn't so predictable.

It will take years to dig out of this hole, just as we're almost out of the one Dumars dug for us (Josh will be off the payroll in 2020, I believe.)  It will take another regime to trade Weggie and Griffin and put a wrap on this era of Pistons Basketball (not the same as Deeeeeeetroit Basketball).  He couldn't trade Josh, Moose, KCP, and whiffed on several potential Weggie trades, so yeah, time for a proper rebuild.

Time for Stan to Go, time for a proper rebuild, time for a competent pg; and time to somehow, someway see if we truly have any young assets in Luke, Stanley or Henry, but I fear the cupboard is bare.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Orlando

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Killer loss, against a team with 7 straight losses. Kelser reminded us before the game that Orlando had lost 9 straight when they beat us in December. Sick (in the old fashioned sense).

Leading by six with five minutes to go, we'd done a bunch of good things. For instance: Reggie B and Ennis contributed hugely on O. Then it all fell apart. When you end up tied, you can point to a lot of things that would have made the difference: a) getting off to a 9-0 deficit; b) Blake missing a (tough?) lay up off of a beautiful long outlet by AD; b) Bullock being called for double dribbling after picking up the ball (Kelser: he knew it, but hoped to get away with it).

I'm not going into the massive failures at the end, especially in the ugly, ugly OT.

Afterwards: Tolliver more eloquent, more realistic, and more professional than SVG in his comments.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Gentlemen

Post  WTF Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 pm

This team is really just a Head Coaching Change away from being a 50 win team, add a competent PG Floor General and it can be a Contending Team. Firing SVG should be the easiest thing getting a competent PG will be harder IMO so there's still a flicker of hope if we can get the right coach here.

I don't know who the next coach should be but I do know they need to be able to stand up and say enough is enough and demand and not ask that this team plays the right way all the time.  They need to demand that these players take a more serious approach to improving their games during the season and off seasons.   We need a to get back to players having that Pistons DNA we all once raved about with our previous Championship Teams this team under SVG takes far too many nights off, they're not tough or smart on a consistent enough basis.   

More importantly this team needs new ownership, wish this team could be bought by a group of Former Group of Pistons Champions and Hof'ers
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty The future

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 am

Will likely still watch the Orlando game after being on the road yesterday. It's pretty clear we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, but a win against the Heat could still result in us sneaking in.

Thanks for your thoughts on the future, Murph and Don. I think the Pistons should have tanked from SVG's beginning, but now it's really, really, hard to see a way forward. I can be accused of buying into the hype but I still think they could win 50 next year, if everything falls right. That's asking for a lot, and beyond that we're in big job.

Jason Kidd? Sure, over SVG who seems to have lost the team. I'd love to see Jerry Stackhouse and Chauncey Billups get coaching and GMing shots.

As the team is configured, a radical rebuild would be really difficult. Essentially, the Clips did a salary dump, getting a 1st rounder back. Much as I love Tobias and Boban, they're out of there next year (maybe they resign Tobias?). We'd likely need to take some bad deals back in unloading Blake. And we're down a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, and an exchange of 2nd rounders. Sucks. Given all that, I think you've hit on a constructive and feasible way forward, Murph.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Murph wrote:So by now, I think it's painfully clear that it's impossible to blow up this team.  No other teams are going to take the multitude of bad contracts off our hands, in exchange for young players and draft picks.  I think it's also painfully clear that we will not make the playoffs.

With this in mind, what should the strategy be moving forward?  Well, the first order of business is to fire SVG, both as a coach and GM.  He took over a young team, with a lot of upside potential, but has only managed to have one winning season and make the playoffs once.  What is worse, he, along with Gores, have mortgaged our future for the next 4 years at least.

Second, hire Jason Kidd as coach, and hire a proven NBA executive as President and GM (NOT ARN TELLEM).  Coaches like Kidd do not come along every day.  He's smart, he understands the PG position, and he cares about his players.

Third, try to trade for or sign an established veteran PG.  I'm tired of having the success of our seasons hang on Reggie Jackson's fragile health.  Try to trade Jackson for a veteran PG who can run the motion offense, defend and shoot from the outside.  And if no one will take Jackson, try to sign a veteran PG who can do all of that.

Fourth, draft PG Jalen Brunson with our 2nd round pick.  Although Brunson is only 6'2, he shoots well from the outside, he distributes the ball well, he takes care of the ball, he's won a National Championship, and he currently leads 5th ranked Villanova, which has not been involved in any recruiting scandals.

I would not object to going into next season with 4 or 5 PGs on the roster...a veteran PG, Smith, Buycks, Brunson and Jackson if we can't dump his contract.

Fifth, continue to acquire shooters, such as Bullock, Ennis III, Galloway, Kennard and Tolliver, in an effort to space the floor to allow Griffin and Drummond to operate inside.

It might not work, but under the circumstances, it's about the best we can do.

Thanks for taking the time to write your recommendations Murph. I agree with a lot of what you said. Jason Kidd would be fantastic. Is Tom Gores smart enough to try to get him as our coach? Would Kidd take the job knowing who is on this Piston roster? It bothers me a lot that Tellem's name has been mentioned as our future GM. I agree that would not be a good choice. This team needs smarter players who no coach would have to worry about being "engaged". Now we do not know who will show up on any given night.

Where I disagree is your idea of Griffin and Drummond playing together. One must go. it is next to impossible to move Blake's contract. He is moving towards the end of his career and that mistake made by management was created by the owner who just cannot stop interfering with the process of building a better team. The Pistons need to start a rebuild keeping some of the young guys. However, I would never build a team around Bullock, Tolliver, Ennis, or Tolliver. I agree that we might as well let those players play out their contracts though. The only point guard who I see that has potential is Buycks on this current team when thinking of where the Pistons might be in 4 or 5 years. He is not a super star type player but can get a lot better. I think the most important thing the new GM should do is attempt to make a good trade involving Andre Drummond. He has some value that could get the Pistons a good player and possibly a high draft pick. We need a high draft pick this summer along with the 2nd round pick. There is no reason to keep Drummond. He could be more effective on a higher performing team with proven star players. I do not classify Blake Griffin as a star high caliber player after watching him closely since he arrived in Detroit. I thought he could be a more solid defender and help cure the Piston's issues when AD's mind goes blank. There are currently several really good young college big men who i would prefer over AD that will be coming out this summer and the following summer. In the last game against the Bucks, AD played OK. But Moreland came in off the bench and played the type of game that this team needs. I am not saying Moreland is a starting caliber type center yet. But I do believe there are some starting centers in college basketball now who react quickly like Moreland but have better skills on offense. I would love to see Stanford's starting center on this Piston team. He gave both of Arizona's big men black eyes last night. He can can post up, dribble drive, and has a nice 3 point shot. The best part of his game is his love of contact in the paint. And to qualify to go to Stanford you have to be pretty smart and capable of absorbing good coaching. There are other players out there like Stanford's 4 year center. i only bring him up because I really liked what I saw last night seeing him in person.

The Pistons do not need an All Star type center who gets a lot of rebounds but the team doesn't win and wants to be an offensive juggernaut instead of a rim and paint protector expert. Detroit will only start winning when they draft a superstar type point guard and 2 guard who can work well together. Somehow Piston management has to have that as their goal for the future. The talent on this team is just not good enough. The alleged superstars are not smart enough or engaged enough to create a winning environment. Trade AD and wish him good luck. Then pick up the pieces and start over but this time get it right and make the backcourt the strength of the team. First things first. Hire Jason kidd as soon as Possible or a young successful college coach.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Picking Up The Pieces

Post  Murph Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:24 am

So by now, I think it's painfully clear that it's impossible to blow up this team.  No other teams are going to take the multitude of bad contracts off our hands, in exchange for young players and draft picks.  I think it's also painfully clear that we will not make the playoffs.

With this in mind, what should the strategy be moving forward?  Well, the first order of business is to fire SVG, both as a coach and GM.  He took over a young team, with a lot of upside potential, but has only managed to have one winning season and make the playoffs once.  What is worse, he, along with Gores, have mortgaged our future for the next 4 years at least.

Second, hire Jason Kidd as coach, and hire a proven NBA executive as President and GM (NOT ARN TELLEM).  Coaches like Kidd do not come along every day.  He's smart, he understands the PG position, and he cares about his players.

Third, try to trade for or sign an established veteran PG.  I'm tired of having the success of our seasons hang on Reggie Jackson's fragile health.  Try to trade Jackson for a veteran PG who can run the motion offense, defend and shoot from the outside.  And if no one will take Jackson, try to sign a veteran PG who can do all of that.

Fourth, draft PG Jalen Brunson with our 2nd round pick.  Although Brunson is only 6'2, he shoots well from the outside, he distributes the ball well, he takes care of the ball, he's won a National Championship, and he currently leads 5th ranked Villanova, which has not been involved in any recruiting scandals.

I would not object to going into next season with 4 or 5 PGs on the roster...a veteran PG, Smith, Buycks, Brunson and Jackson if we can't dump his contract.

Fifth, continue to acquire shooters, such as Bullock, Ennis III, Galloway, Kennard and Tolliver, in an effort to space the floor to allow Griffin and Drummond to operate inside.

It might not work, but under the circumstances, it's about the best we can do.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next