Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
lemonpen
FlyDog
Go Stones!
Sebastian
Phil-Good
merc
deusXango
Oracle
WTF
Fennis Dembo
14 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Phil1980boy wrote:Giving up the first round pick top 8 protected was A stinger but with the Pistons projected to be selecting between   13 and below, I don't think this was such A huge blow. Also the Pistons have A lot of young kids. Harris, Drummonds, KCP, Stanley Johnson, Hilliard, and Dinwiddie. It's ok to gamble on A young vet like Motiejunas.

And let me tell you something Piston fans. This guy Motiejunas is A SUPER TALENTED BALL PLAYER!!

He big, he strong, he can pass, he has Lou Scole type of low post talent. HE can really shoot the 3-ball, he has nice footwork, nice basketball I.Q. You will like this guy Piston fans. Especially if he is healthy!!

The other guy, Thornton is A toss in. Don't really care about this guy.

I agree Phil. Motiejunas has great potential and SVG has had his eye on him for a long time for good reason. Most of us were thinking we would be seeing a new back up point guard. We can only believe that Stan was not going to make a stupid panic deal regardless of the facts. And who knows what is really going on with the existing players like Spencer Dinwiddie. Before Dinwiddie's ACL injury while playing at Colorado, I thought he would be a top 5 pick. So perhaps SVG is not giving up on Spencer. And I agree with Van Gundy's comments relating to Steve Blake. I believe that Blake is a good change of pace for the team when Jackson goes to the bench. And I think that Blake was a more effective player for the team than Brandon Jennings turned out to be and especially Jennings history over the last month. And maybe SVG has his eye on a D league player.

It would be great to make the playoffs but making the playoffs is not a pressure situation now as some sports writers have said. SVG is looking long term and must have decided that whoever was left when Detroit could make their 1st pick would not fit his plan for future success. My bet is that he will make a great selection in the 2nd round that will fit the team's needs well. Still I am a bit disappointed that the Pistons didn't get a chance to draft D. Valentine. Who knows, maybe there will be more pleasant surprises this summer before the draft. Looking back before SVG arrived, one thing stands out. The Detroit Pistons have come a long way back from living in the bottom of the well for 6 or 7 years.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Motiejunas is No Darko Jr Pistons fans don't worry

Post  Phil-Good Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Giving up the first round pick top 8 protected was A stinger but with the Pistons projected to be selecting between 13 and below, I don't think this was such A huge blow. Also the Pistons have A lot of young kids. Harris, Drummonds, KCP, Stanley Johnson, Hilliard, and Dinwiddie. It's ok to gamble on A young vet like Motiejunas.

And let me tell you something Piston fans. This guy Motiejunas is A SUPER TALENTED BALL PLAYER!!

He big, he strong, he can pass, he has Lou Scole type of low post talent. HE can really shoot the 3-ball, he has nice footwork, nice basketball I.Q. You will like this guy Piston fans. Especially if he is healthy!!

The other guy, Thornton is A toss in. Don't really care about this guy.
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty A good bench spark?

Post  Oracle Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Actually, he's not too bad when healthy!

Post  Oracle Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Note: He hasn't played in a single game this year so far!

Another tidbit is this: "Detroit has the league’s third-highest-scoring starting five, trailing just Golden State and Cleveland, but everything goes to hell once it calls upon its reserves"
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty I'm flabbergasted, and I don't flabber easily...

Post  Oracle Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:38 pm

lemonpen wrote:When Stan gets the trading bug he really gets going.  I haven't a clue what it all means. - Join the club, I'm in the same boat!

-  Thornton in,  Meeks out ???? - I don't think this has anything to do with Meeks except that he's likely out for the year.

-  At 7 feet will Montiejunas get a run at starting PF (when healthy) - This guy has been on his back more than he's been upright, WTF?

-  Is the kid from Orlando REALLY worth the dough?  That's an awful lot of dough.  Does he have an awful lot of game.   I'm just sayin. - This one is the ONLY one I understand, but can you tell me what he's know for? What does he do better than most?

-  Will we be looking at backup PGs on 10 day contracts, circa John Lucas. - I thought our biggest need was a vet PG, and SVG gets Sasquatch and an Elf from the Rockets?

I'm gonna be watching real close Friday night. - I guess! I'm not sure who can or will play without more practice, with 3 games in 4 nights, won't be for awhile!

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
I'm thunderstruck!!!

Why give up a first round pick, top 8 protected for a broke back 7 footer(Darko Jr?) and a journeyman? That's a LOT for so little, and I'm struggling to make sense of it!

That sounds like sacrificing the future and praying to make the playoffs this year!

The ONLY logical thing that would make sense for making this trade would be to freaking tank the season and keep the pick... HELP!!!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Whew !!!

Post  lemonpen Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 pm

When Stan gets the trading bug he really gets going. I haven't a clue what it all means.

- Thornton in, Meeks out ????

- At 7 feet will Montiejunas get a run at starting PF (when healthy)

- Is the kid from Orlando REALLY worth the dough? That's an awful lot of dough. Does he have an awful lot of game. I'm just sayin.

- Will we be looking at backup PGs on 10 day contracts, circa John Lucas.

I'm gonna be watching real close Friday night.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty My mistake...

Post  Oracle Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:26 am

Was listening to a talking head!

SVG NEVER said he was moving Stanley into the starting lineup and move Morris to the bench... Mayo said that!

Mayo made that up, and I didn't realize it until I listened to SVG's own words(Stan Van Gundy Q&A: Surprised Tobias Harris was available).

However, losing Ersan does present a new host of problems for us.

We're now be giving up height, weight and size at the PF position, so either Harris or Morris will be the one that would get abused by bigger PF’s and shot over!

If we assume that the other 4 players can handle their defensive assignments, it's likely that Drummond will have to help cover the PF in those situations. Fortunately the league is moving towards stretch 4's more that the bruisers of the past, and guys like ZBo!

However, all of that may be offset by the fact that the offense should be so much more dynamic with a very athletic version of Morris in the lineup in Harris!

There is absolutely no question in my mind that we have 5-8 seed talent on this team, and likely 7-8 experience, that's the bad news, but it should be offset by the fact that we have top notch coaching!

In short, the ball is in SVG's court! The only thing standing in the way of us and the playoffs is coaching!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Predictions - Where we are going from here...

Post  Go Stones! Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:55 pm

SVG has done an interesting move by landing a young/running SF/PF in Tobias Harris. It is also interesting that SVG has coveted him for quite some time.

With the new trade we will be fast and defensively difficult to handle. When we play a larger SF we can stick Morris on people like Lebron, if needed. KCP takes the scoring guard. Between Morris/Harris/Stanimal can cover SF/PF positions. Tolliver comes in later. You will probably see better strategies to adapt to what the other team shows. If the other team goes large, we can match it. If they go small, we can match it.

My prediction is that SVG gets a PF/C like Horford or Pau Gasol who can shoot from range but also can be moved to Center if/when they start Hack-a-Dre. This also allows more competition and depth (Morris vs. Stanimal vs. Harris at SF) and (Harris and Morris vs. Horford/Gasol vs. Tolliver at PF). It protects against foul trouble and Hack-a-Dre.

We do need another PG. Jennings was looked at and may still come back. SVG had a good look at his strengths and weaknesses. He will do what is best. I think Jennings' best days are behind him and a younger PG who needs a shot or a veteran who is better than Blake would be encouraged.

Hilliard (expired contract) and Dinwiddie are decent but won't get much burn with so many ahead of them. Bullock will be waived or traded.

PG Jackson, NEW PG, Blake, Dinwiddie
SG KCP, Stanimal, Meeks, Hilliard, Bullock
SF Harris, Stanimal, Morris
PF NEW PF/C, Morris, Tolliver, Baynes
C Dre, NEW PF/C, Baynes, Anthony

Next year: Bullock (trade vs. waive), Anthony, Blake should be gone.

Hilliard, Blake, Tolliver, Anthony fall off the payroll unless they are resigned. Dinwiddie could serve as last PG or D-League for one more year. Leaves plenty of opportunity for our 1st and 2nd round draft picks to land.

SVG saw that free agents are hard to come by. This is why he is trading now. People are desperate and he got his guy in Harris.

Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Is SVG about the screw this up?

Post  Oracle Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:53 pm

SVG is saying that the signing of Harris could cause starting lineup changes which I didn't think possible!

SVG wants to move Morris to the bench and start Stanley, and I find that amazingly DUMB!

Can someone help me with the logic, because I don't see how this could be something that makes sense!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Oracle wrote:"I still disagree with the critics relating to Piston coaching but that is always fair game. Stan has installed a limited option offense for good reason. He is using a simple offense to fit his young inexperienced team. In fact this team has had problems running that offense and most of the time fail to set the basic screens to get the half court offense going or move to the right spots on the floor. I find it doubtful that this team as previously constructed could run a more complex offense. Much has to do with Drummond's development and his concentration ability. Lack of offensive movement causes Jackson to try to do too much and he gets burned out in the process. " - Don

I really agree with you, but that doesn't change the fact that the offense is far too predictable, but it does validate your feeling that we can't place all of the blame on SVG. Having said that, IMO, it's his job to mix up the simple stuff better, but Harris is going to help!

I believe that having TWO post up options in the lineup with Jackson & Drummond will take a LOT of pressure off of Reggie to do everything, hopefully he'll pass the ball!

@Merc, there are several candidates! Calderon, Augustin, who's fallen out of the rotation in OKC. On the high end there's Teague, but I don't see him as realistic in a backup role!

My faith in Dinwiddie has been badly shaken, rightly or wrongly, that's where I'm at with him, and Blake is not a full time backup candidate.

If Collison was available, I'd pull the trigger, but I wouldn't cough up a 1st rounder unless it was top 30 protected lol

Oracle It would be really cool to get Collison. I have always liked the way he plays the game. Dinwiddie suffered that ACL injury and has never been the same player. I feel for him and how unlucky this guy has been with the injury bug. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Piston management does not give away our first round pick. With Van Gundy's superior staff dedicated to the draft, at least he will be making an educated decision. If Stan lands a really good point guard for the first pick, I hope he can secure another 2nd round pick with the deal.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty The Trade and What's Next ...

Post  Sebastian Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:15 am

Welcome Tobias Harris you are now a Piston. This should prove to be a better trade for the Pistons, each day going forward. Harris is young (23). Harris is under contract, until 2020. WE all know with 20 teams having more disposable income, come July 1, Detroit would be hard press to compete for Free Agent signings. Besides, OUR books are still screwed up because 80% of Josh's salary is still on the books.

On the surface the addition of Harris makes OUR Pistons, potentially, a much better perimeter defensive team, which indirectly could make Dre' a more dominate rim protector, as their should be fewer breakdowns in the half court sets. KCP, Stanley, Morris, and hopefully Harris should be able to guard variety of opposing teams 2-4 positions.

Make no mistake the 6th-man spot is all Stanley's, now. He can backup, either KCP, Marcus, or Harris. "Build to Last" is getting ready to take off, for real now!

Obviously, OUR glaring vacancy is at the backup PG position. Perhaps, the most obvious move would be to offer a future second round pick to OKC for D.J. Augustin. He knows the system. He's a good free throw shooter. He's small, but a very good (and cheap) backup option.

I still think that WE can use a mobile PF/C, a guy to maybe come in before Baynes, depending on opposing team lineups. Move Joel Anthony to Minnesota for Adriene Payne.

Then let's go make the damn playoffs!

DETROIT BASKETBALL!!!

Last edited by Sebastian on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty TRADE

Post  Phil-Good Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:30 am

Good Job by the Pistons to get something for Jennings before he moves on with his career. And he gets to go play for his beloved First coach Skiles.

I'm sad to see Illy go. Tuff guy. Smart guy. Good shooter. Good defender. Good rebounder. I really love Illy's game.

T.Harris. Young, big, athletic. Solid shooter. Good cuter. Moves well without the ball. Has some low post game. Can put the ball on the floor A little. Solid ball-handle skills. Young and on A good, long-term contract.

And Detroit still has all of it's young core and A first round pick. tb tb
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty The Trade

Post  BallinD Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:50 am

Great Trade on the surface. We got younger, more athletic and potentially more explosive. Is Harris a better defender than Illy? Well he won't lead the league in charges and is an inch shorter, but he's five years younger and more athletic. He's gotta be better, right? They say he works hard on his game. Again, he's only 23.

Wanted to see Brandon stay here and avg 15/6 per to help lift us into the playoffs. Not gonna happen and probably was never gonna happen, but it would have been fun.

Stan/Bower is going for Exec team of the year! Another steal, perhaps?

We needed a shot in the arm, and this is definitely that. Hope he's not a Rudy Gay type??
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Don & Merc

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:13 pm

"I still disagree with the critics relating to Piston coaching but that is always fair game. Stan has installed a limited option offense for good reason. He is using a simple offense to fit his young inexperienced team. In fact this team has had problems running that offense and most of the time fail to set the basic screens to get the half court offense going or move to the right spots on the floor. I find it doubtful that this team as previously constructed could run a more complex offense. Much has to do with Drummond's development and his concentration ability. Lack of offensive movement causes Jackson to try to do too much and he gets burned out in the process. " - Don

I really agree with you, but that doesn't change the fact that the offense is far too predictable, but it does validate your feeling that we can't place all of the blame on SVG. Having said that, IMO, it's his job to mix up the simple stuff better, but Harris is going to help!

I believe that having TWO post up options in the lineup with Jackson & Drummond will take a LOT of pressure off of Reggie to do everything, hopefully he'll pass the ball!

@Merc, there are several candidates! Calderon, Augustin, who's fallen out of the rotation in OKC. On the high end there's Teague, but I don't see him as realistic in a backup role!

My faith in Dinwiddie has been badly shaken, rightly or wrongly, that's where I'm at with him, and Blake is not a full time backup candidate.

If Collison was available, I'd pull the trigger, but I wouldn't cough up a 1st rounder unless it was top 30 protected lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Backup PG

Post  merc Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 pm

If we're looking for the right fit it would be a veteran that can defend... shoot with range and distributes well.. a tall order for sure.
The guy that fits this resume?... Darren Collison. I've liked his game since UCLA... at 28 years old I'd be willing to forfeit a protected 1st rounder
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Oracle wrote:There was a Pistons Podcast a few days ago, and they raised the biggest concern I have and I've posted about it here!

Yes, we need a PF, and Anderson is damn near a perfect fit, but will he hurt our ability to make the necessary moves to be competitive next season?

But the biggest issue is Reggie Jackson! It didn't take a rocket scientist to see how this team fell off after the loss of KCP, and he's only the 3rd most important!

Reggie, no matter how much we wish, simply can't keep playing the minutes he's playing! he's physically incapable of handling starting PG duties for even a half season, let alone a full season. So if he's our guy, we've got to find a way to limit his minutes!

There are a few ways to do that, and making the 2nd unit better is one, but the other is that we NEED 3 capable ball handling guards! I agree with Don, there was no good reason to stop using Steve Blake, and between him and Jennings, we should be able to spell Reggie to reduce his minutes.

We've got issues that simply can't be addressed with the current personnel unless somebody really steps up, which is hard to predict!

We're at the top of the league in 3 point shots taken and number of points, but we're at the bottom of the league in 3 point percentage! What does that tell you?

We're shooting too many 3's for the talent level we have and it's hurting our ability to win!

But here's something else they said in that Podcast that was important!

Don raked me over the coals for calling out SVG's coaching as a problem, but these guys are saying the same thing, we virtually have no playbook!

It's Reggie & Drummond, with Morris ISO's, if somebody remembers, and that's it! KCP essentially has to get his own whenever he can because they rarely run plays, and everybody else is an after thought... WTF kind of offense are we running!

If I can see it and Lemonpen can see it, and these talking heads can see it, I'm quite sure everybody in the NBA knows exactly what the Pistons are going to do, and stop it the majority of the time, and especially in crunch time when they absolutely become predictable!

This is another great post Oracle. I still disagree with the critics relating to Piston coaching but that is always fair game. Stan has installed a limited option offense for good reason. He is using a simple offense to fit his young inexperienced team. In fact this team has had problems running that offense and most of the time fail to set the basic screens to get the half court offense going or move to the right spots on the floor. I find it doubtful that this team as previously constructed could run a more complex offense. Much has to do with Drummond's development and his concentration ability. Lack of offensive movement causes Jackson to try to do too much and he gets burned out in the process. With Meeks injured, KCP has played too many minutes much like Jackson and Morris. Now with Harris in a Piston uniform, I am hoping that the players will set more screens and move better without the basketball. I am also hoping that Stanley Johnson can become a more efficient shooter and hold down more good minutes at both the 2 and 3. From what I have seen, Johnson is one of the few players who have sacrificed their bodies in the paint to set important screens for other players on offense. He also has not stood around like KCP has a habit of doing in the first half of games. If SVG adds a tough smart vet to back up Jackson, you can expect that the look of the Piston offense will change. The only thing that I have had questions on with SVG is the amount of minutes he has played some of his young studs. But we are now in position in the standings to have a good chance of making the playoffs unless the Pistons suffer another injury. And making the playoffs might still take a miracle unless the players decide to concentrate better on making free throws. How can they stand taking heat for being the worst free throw shooting team in the NBA? Come on players get serious!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Oracle wrote:This is a good read anyway, but here's a little,

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/02/16/tobias-harris-ersan-ilyasova-brandon-jennings-pistons-magic-trade-grades wrote:This was set to be a deadline of interest for the Pistons, who after missing the postseason for six straight years are finally back on the bubble. Even a smaller transaction could have aided a shallow Detroit team in its pursuit of the eighth seed. They aimed higher; Harris isn’t just a quality starter whose game suits Stan Van Gundy’s preferred style, but also a player aligned in age with Detroit’s core. Harris (23), Andre Drummond (22), Reggie Jackson (25), and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (22) is a group worth cultivating—and one cemented by sacrificing only Ilyasova and Jennings’s expiring contract.

Harris should eventually find comfort in Detroit’s offensive and defensive systems, though some adjustment will be in order. Ilyasova is a far better shooter; while Harris could project as a stretch four in concept, the Pistons will be trading one away in reality. Harris’s development as a shooter and his teammates’ growing familiarity with his off-ball game will help to bridge that gap in time, though the coming weeks could prove trying as Detroit effectively re-works its spacing. What’s nice is that Harris can help churn out offense in those situations just as well—a task he’s prepared for after all his practice in Orlando.

Some of the post-ups earmarked for Marcus Morris might instead go to Harris. A few of the frantic, end-of-possession sequences forced by Jackson or Caldwell-Pope might alternatively end up as Harris isos. The open threes will be created and encouraged, though the beauty of Harris’s game is that his offensive value isn’t limited only to his ability to stretch. There’s some scoring versatility there, even if it hasn’t yet been consistently applied in the healthiest ways. Van Gundy and his staff will confront the riddles of Harris’s game eagerly; the best problems in the NBA tend to involve the challenge of getting the most of multi-talented players.

Drummond, through inconsistencies and all, will complement Harris in ways that Vucevic never could. Morris, Caldwell-Pope, and Stanley Johnson, too, will give the Pistons complete freedom in their defensive orientation. Those structural factors don’t absolve Harris of the need to improve on that end (nor will they spare him from Van Gundy’s specific, insistent coaching), though on the whole they make his situation more manageable. What matters most is that Harris is situated in a way where he and his teammates cannot be easily exploited. The switchable balance of the 2-3-4 spots in Detroit’s rotation would seem to achieve that—particularly if all involved grow into their games as expected

Damn good job Mr. Van Gundy! I will miss Ily. who played hard for the Pistons. My gut was telling me the Magic might be looking to move someone. I was hoping it would be Arron Gordon if Detroit could deal with Orlando. But getting Harris is a great move for the Pistons and Oracle you created a good post here as to why. Harris plays with good energy on the defensive end. These players should have a lot of fun together. Now it appears that Stan is looking for another point guard. I hope Stan gets a player who can defend. Otherwise, I still like Steve Blake if he is healthy.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Orlando gets a C-, Detroit gets an A for this trade!

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:34 pm

This is a good read anyway, but here's a little,

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/02/16/tobias-harris-ersan-ilyasova-brandon-jennings-pistons-magic-trade-grades wrote:This was set to be a deadline of interest for the Pistons, who after missing the postseason for six straight years are finally back on the bubble. Even a smaller transaction could have aided a shallow Detroit team in its pursuit of the eighth seed. They aimed higher; Harris isn’t just a quality starter whose game suits Stan Van Gundy’s preferred style, but also a player aligned in age with Detroit’s core. Harris (23), Andre Drummond (22), Reggie Jackson (25), and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (22) is a group worth cultivating—and one cemented by sacrificing only Ilyasova and Jennings’s expiring contract.

Harris should eventually find comfort in Detroit’s offensive and defensive systems, though some adjustment will be in order. Ilyasova is a far better shooter; while Harris could project as a stretch four in concept, the Pistons will be trading one away in reality. Harris’s development as a shooter and his teammates’ growing familiarity with his off-ball game will help to bridge that gap in time, though the coming weeks could prove trying as Detroit effectively re-works its spacing. What’s nice is that Harris can help churn out offense in those situations just as well—a task he’s prepared for after all his practice in Orlando.

Some of the post-ups earmarked for Marcus Morris might instead go to Harris. A few of the frantic, end-of-possession sequences forced by Jackson or Caldwell-Pope might alternatively end up as Harris isos. The open threes will be created and encouraged, though the beauty of Harris’s game is that his offensive value isn’t limited only to his ability to stretch. There’s some scoring versatility there, even if it hasn’t yet been consistently applied in the healthiest ways. Van Gundy and his staff will confront the riddles of Harris’s game eagerly; the best problems in the NBA tend to involve the challenge of getting the most of multi-talented players.

Drummond, through inconsistencies and all, will complement Harris in ways that Vucevic never could. Morris, Caldwell-Pope, and Stanley Johnson, too, will give the Pistons complete freedom in their defensive orientation. Those structural factors don’t absolve Harris of the need to improve on that end (nor will they spare him from Van Gundy’s specific, insistent coaching), though on the whole they make his situation more manageable. What matters most is that Harris is situated in a way where he and his teammates cannot be easily exploited. The switchable balance of the 2-3-4 spots in Detroit’s rotation would seem to achieve that—particularly if all involved grow into their games as expected

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Got my answer on why the Magic did this

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:16 pm

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2016/02/column_detroit_pistons_strike.html wrote:In some part, this simply became a matter of determining who the buyers and sellers were before Thursday's trade deadline. When the final reckoning of this trade is made, years from now, it will be forgotten how important Orlando's 4-16 streak going into the All-Star break was, and how young Magic power forward Aaron Gordon -- the slam-dunk artist -- might have swayed the Magic's thinking.

The Magic see Gordon as the answer at PF instead of the undersized Harris!

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Totally agree!!!

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:02 pm

merc wrote:As SVG said it was a no brainer... while it may shrink the lanes even more Harris is very versatile as a PF/SF with handles.... his shooting is down from last year so if he can get back to 36% from three spacing will be no different than what Illy was doing for us.
The real value is the contract that shrinks each year... he will be extremely tradeable if it's not the right fit... would luv to see him used as a stepping stone to acquire Ibaka.
SVG will not have to break the bank competing for FA's this summer.
What this man has accomplished with so little assets makes him a candidate for GM of the year. thumbs up
I thought he was taller, but that means that either he or Marcus will play the 4, we're officially close to being a small ball team right now.

Harris is a capable shooter, but he can attack the basket very well, and is generally a lot greater threat that Ersan!

I am concerned about the loss of Jennings and really sad to see him go, but I'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat!

This move helps the starters, but does nothing for the bench and likely weakens it!

One more shoe to drop, or does Dinwiddie get forced to put up or shut up???

I wish someone could explain why the Magic did this trade because it looks like SVG pulled a Bill Cosby on them! Drugged them and had his way lol lol lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Tobias

Post  merc Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:51 pm

As SVG said it was a no brainer... while it may shrink the lanes even more Harris is very versatile as a PF/SF with handles.... his shooting is down from last year so if he can get back to 36% from three spacing will be no different than what Illy was doing for us.
The real value is the contract that shrinks each year... he will be extremely tradeable if it's not the right fit... would luv to see him used as a stepping stone to acquire Ibaka.
SVG will not have to break the bank competing for FA's this summer.
What this man has accomplished with so little assets makes him a candidate for GM of the year. thumbs up
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Major breaking news!!!

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Pistons get their PF!!!

Magic acquire Brandon Jennings, Ersan Ilyasova, send Tobias Harris to Pistons

FYI, here's his contract details: Tobias Harris signed a 4 year / $64,000,000 contract with the Orlando Magic, including $64,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $16,000,000. In 2015-16, Harris will earn a base salary of $16,000,000. Harris has a cap hit of $16,000,000 while his dead money value is $64,000,000
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty We have to make a move, and here's why...

Post  Oracle Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:34 pm

There was a Pistons Podcast a few days ago, and they raised the biggest concern I have and I've posted about it here!

Yes, we need a PF, and Anderson is damn near a perfect fit, but will he hurt our ability to make the necessary moves to be competitive next season?

But the biggest issue is Reggie Jackson! It didn't take a rocket scientist to see how this team fell off after the loss of KCP, and he's only the 3rd most important!

Reggie, no matter how much we wish, simply can't keep playing the minutes he's playing! he's physically incapable of handling starting PG duties for even a half season, let alone a full season. So if he's our guy, we've got to find a way to limit his minutes!

There are a few ways to do that, and making the 2nd unit better is one, but the other is that we NEED 3 capable ball handling guards! I agree with Don, there was no good reason to stop using Steve Blake, and between him and Jennings, we should be able to spell Reggie to reduce his minutes.

We've got issues that simply can't be addressed with the current personnel unless somebody really steps up, which is hard to predict!

We're at the top of the league in 3 point shots taken and number of points, but we're at the bottom of the league in 3 point percentage! What does that tell you?

We're shooting too many 3's for the talent level we have and it's hurting our ability to win!

But here's something else they said in that Podcast that was important!

Don raked me over the coals for calling out SVG's coaching as a problem, but these guys are saying the same thing, we virtually have no playbook!

It's Reggie & Drummond, with Morris ISO's, if somebody remembers, and that's it! KCP essentially has to get his own whenever he can because they rarely run plays, and everybody else is an after thought... WTF kind of offense are we running!

If I can see it and Lemonpen can see it, and these talking heads can see it, I'm quite sure everybody in the NBA knows exactly what the Pistons are going to do, and stop it the majority of the time, and especially in crunch time when they absolutely become predictable!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 pm

lemonpen wrote:This team has become as flat as a pancake.  Our talent seems to have maxed out its production.  We need more weapons even if KCP returns without missing a step.  Jennings plus pickum (Anthony, Bullock, Dinwiddie, Meeks) for Ryan Anderson.  If Ryan moves the needle (which I believe he will), throw $$$$$ at him to stay.  His age, size, experience and skillset is on the money for us.

Lemonpen I see nothing on any NBA board involving the Pistons and Ryan Anderson or anyone else for that matter. The Pelicans will want a special player being that Anderson is a team captain and a guy who is respected in the Pelican locker room. He gives them consistent scoring off the bench and even though he is a below average defensive player, they need his scoring and most likely will keep him unless they get a crazy offer. I am sure Van Gundy has suggested Jennings as an option for Anderson and maybe Tolliver but the other 4 players that you mentioned would not create much interest as you know. Would you give up a number one pick for either Morris or Anderson knowing how far the other Pistons players currently in the rotation have to go before we are a contender? The Pistons suffer from lack of quality big men who can defend which has hurt the Pistons for many years. We also have the worst free throw shooting team in the NBA. How many games would the Pistons have won over the past two seasons, if the players could make free throws? It appears that other teams might only want our number one pick or one of our core young players but I don't even see much discussion anywhere about potential trades involving the Pistons other than wishful Detroit area reporters. A lot of teams are currently worse off than our Pistons. Our guys need to come to work and play harder than have have played over the past month.

By the way, Stanley Johnson spent his off days here in Tucson attending two Arizona games. He says that he is primed along with his Piston teammates to give everything they have to make the playoffs. Our young guns do have courage and determination. In the coming off season I expect at least three of those young guys will make extreme sacrifices to lift their games up several notches. Eliminate the defects with hard work. It always works and these guys will do it.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 22 Empty Trade rumors scare me a bit. Piston management should build the team the right way

Post  cool breeze Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:17 pm

It would be really stupid to give up our number one draft pick this summer knowing that there will be some really good athletes available. Do we really want an aging Ryan Anderson? And if Anderson does arrive in Detroit, how will the defense look? We need an outstanding power forward who plays outstanding defense if the Pistons ever think they can win anything if Drummond stays. We have been though this for many years where GMs fail to know the true value of great defensive players. We need one big man who can scare the hell out of opponents who dare to enter the painted area. Do you really want a guy like Anderson who cannot scare any player in the NBA? And the thought of adding Morris at the expense of losing a number one pick is crazy. NBADRAFT NET had the Pistons taking D. Valentine as their number one pick. Valentine can play 3 positions including point guard. He was one of the best high school players that I have ever seen. And finally he is being allowed to show how good he really is at Mich. State. There are many other quality sure fire NBA players in this coming draft. Meanwhile, the players who other teams want to peddle all have major defects.

Ily. our starting power forward has the ability to get a lot better. He takes charges better than any player we have had for a long time. This team is learning how to play together. Ily to me has a better upside than any of the power forwards being talked about other than Horford who is not coming to the Pistons any time soon. Tolliver has had a rough year so far shooting the basketball but he has shown toughness at times on the defensive end. I would recommend staying the course and re evaluate after the season is over and not take a chance of making the team even weaker by giving up any draft assets.

I would sit back and see if some of the contending teams make some huge mistakes with trades before the trade deadline. I would offer Jennings for a 2nd round draft pick based on his play over the past month. Van Gundy needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat and steal one or two young players who are currently sitting he bench a lot on other NBA teams and make two good decisions with our 1 one and 2 draft picks and develop them with great coaching. None of our players are consistently playing at a high level. But most have defects but high potential. The Pistons are not ready to compete for the title yet. So build the damn team the right way. I like Phil's guy Booker and other players like Arron Gordon for the future. In college just watching the action in all of Arron Gordon's games as a freshman, he stood out as having the most energy and the strongest will of any player I saw that one season on any team. He is so young yet and if the Magic don't know what they have there, I would be trying like hell to get him. Two years from now, the Pistons will lose big with guys like Anderson or the other Morris twin. The only way Detroit should entertain obtaining the services of Morris would be to get him for someone like Tolliver or Jennings. The Suns GM is bluffing big time right now. Phoenix management wants to get rid of their big headache as soon as possible. But does Stan want to add drama in the locker room and off the court in public? We have the good Morris twin and we love him. Has the other twin changed himself for the better? Stan will need to know everything or back off that idea.

DO NOT GIVE AWAY OUR DRAFT PICKS STAN.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next