Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
merc
Sissy1946
FlyDog
Phil-Good
WTF
Sebastian
cool breeze
lemonpen
Go Stones!
deusXango
14 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Don

Post  Oracle Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:56 pm

"But the rest including Jennings, Stuckey and Bynum are weak defenders with Bynum being the worst of all based on watching him play for Detroit over the years. Nobody seems to notice how bad he is as a defender." - Don

Don, you make excellent points!

Jennings is so much like a poor man's AI it's scary. I've pointed that out before as has Fly, but what you said made me think about it again.

Like AI, Jennings is a very poor defender, and poor is being kind. However, like AI, he somewhat makes up for it with steals, but you can't steal enough to offset guys blowing by you or shooting over you all night long... this will be a problem!

People say that Drummond or Smith will erase his mistakes, and that's partially true! They can help him when guys get by him, but the problem is that they can't help him when guys just raise up and shoot over him! Of course this goes for Bynum too, but in addition to being able to steal, Bynum at least is capable of throwing a body at players to keep them from getting too close, where Jennings is easily muscled around!

Stuckey is fully capable of playing stellar defense, he just doesn't do it consistently enough. However, if you hate Bynum's defense, you're going to be driven crazy by Jennings!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:41 pm

deusXango wrote:
Go Stones! wrote:
deusXango wrote:Since the free agent signing of Josh Smith, all the talk has been about how he and Greg Monroe couldn't compliment each other, with Andre Drummond in the mix, so let's trade Monroe for Rondo! Rajon Rondo is after all, friends with Josh Smith (like that in and of itself is the formula for a championship) and one of the best PG's in the league. Not a week has gone by without a Rondo rumor surfacing about him coming to Detroit; nowhere else, but Detroit! This is the exception to the rule; trade our young, promising, big man for an oft injured PG (little man) who's only one of the best.

With the acquisition of Brandon Jennings (Rondo 2.0) I got a new pair of glasses; since fans are so hell bent on getting rid of Monroe, let me suggest the Moose for Kevin Love! Does anyone think that Love and Smith wouldn't be complimentary interior players, with Drummond in the mix? If we could get Love, wouldn't it sound stupid to keep arguing back and forth about if Smith is really better suited to PF than SF? Arguably the best defensive SF in the league would no longer be the focal point of ill-advised shot selection conversation with an offensive monster like Love playing alongside him, then there's always Drummond there to clean up the misses. When will the Rondo talk stop and the Love talk begin? Am I the only one who thinks that Love would be the better major move player, if we decide to get rid of Monroe? Wouldn't that shake up the league? Now talk about dumping the oh, so, valuable expiring contracts of Stuckey and Villanueva...too many blacks going to Minnesota? How about Monroe, Singler, and Jerebko, with future considerations? Don't get me wrong, this ain't a black or white thing, it's a three big men for one thing; Love really has had his fill of the Timberwolves anyway. Will the Monroe for Love get any traction? I doubt it because it makes too much sense; he's not anyone's friend, not undersized, nor has he suffered any career threatening injuries. He'll make our hated Pistons too good for the masses around the league, and that'll never do.
DX, I proposed that a few weeks ago when I saw that Love was a consideration for trade based on his high salary and what his team was doing.  I would do it in a second.  There are a lot of young PFs out there that they could also trade Love to.  Why would they choose the Pistons after they have stolen the show this summer?  Most likely not going to happen.  
Stones, Greg Monroe could make it happen; Greg Monroe and a couple of smart, energetic big men like Singler and Jerebko could/should make it happen. You're right, and I didn't mean to slight you, you did suggest Kevin Love some time ago, as a trade target; I was not original with that one!
NO JOBS HAVE BEEN WON YET. Singler was a rookie last season getting to know the opposing players with no plays created for either positions that he started at. Everyone is so convinced that Detroit has greatly improved the talent level of this team while forgetting that players who did win spots last season had to function on the floor with Maxiell and Monroe playing defense in the paint. Many of us including me have said that it was difficult for the offense to flow properly last season with Maxiell in the lineup. But the truth is that Maxiell was the 2nd best big man on the team last season. He won his starting spot fair and square showing his teammates that he was the better player. Dumars had a weak team. So nothing is proven until the current Piston players go up against each other and show they belong on the court with other players who qualify.

SHOW ME YOUR DEFENSE! You win nothing without playing great defense. Cheeks knows that. That should be the theme used by coach Cheeks this year. Nobody has earned a spot until they can show they are capable defenders. And I know that is a strength of Singler and that is why so many coaches trust him. Smith is an upgrade on defense. I suspect he will have little competition at either the power forward or center positions because both Monroe and Drummond are inconsistent defensive players. No knock on Drummond here because he is so young and inexperienced but he didn't have the rotation system of Franks down last season and will take time to adjust to the fast paced NBA game. Jerebco is a position guy who gets to his spots on defense and does rotate well. How will Cheeks keep him out of the rotation? Charlie V is a Stuckey type guy who seems to look a lot better on paper over the summer than he does on the court when it counts. Unless the other outside shooters can't hit shots, Charlie should be at the end of the bench. But like I said before, everyone should get a fair shot at making the rotation either as a starter or off the bench. Maybe Charlie has been on a secret mission over the summer. The competition for the two guard spots in my humble opinion will be fought by weak defensive players as a group. Singler is clearly the best defender if you consider him a guard. He can defend multiple positions and has size. The other players are not good defenders including Pope. However, by Feb. of next season, Pope should be maybe the best guard defender on the team if he gets playing time. The rest are just not even average NBA defenders and that will be a big weakness for this team. I would say that the aged Billups is the next best defender because he does actually care about playing defense and is smart and knows the oppositions plays really well. Siva can be a good NBA defender even with his size issues. But the rest including Jennings, Stuckey and Bynum are weak defenders with Bynum being the worst of all based on watching him play for Detroit over the years. Nobody seems to notice how bad he is as a defender. That puzzles me especially considering that he got 5 mil over two seasons. If Bynum is the back up point guard then I feel sorry for the other guys who will be in the same rotation with him. I always like it when posters like dX list Bynum as a 2 guard. That is the only place he should play and he is too small Mr. Dumars.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Kyle

Post  lemonpen Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:34 pm

merc wrote:Like Don, I think we're missing something in Singler... a true gym rat with range and defense.... let's not toss him out with the bath water.
It seems to me that Kyle will have to kind of re-define himself for this season. His major contribution as a starter was a glue guy with range. His presence helped fuse the mix between others. As a backup his IQ will continue to be a major asset but his shot might have to yield more tangible results.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Present reality

Post  deusXango Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:08 am

Go Stones! wrote:
deusXango wrote:Since the free agent signing of Josh Smith, all the talk has been about how he and Greg Monroe couldn't compliment each other, with Andre Drummond in the mix, so let's trade Monroe for Rondo! Rajon Rondo is after all, friends with Josh Smith (like that in and of itself is the formula for a championship) and one of the best PG's in the league. Not a week has gone by without a Rondo rumor surfacing about him coming to Detroit; nowhere else, but Detroit! This is the exception to the rule; trade our young, promising, big man for an oft injured PG (little man) who's only one of the best.

With the acquisition of Brandon Jennings (Rondo 2.0) I got a new pair of glasses; since fans are so hell bent on getting rid of Monroe, let me suggest the Moose for Kevin Love! Does anyone think that Love and Smith wouldn't be complimentary interior players, with Drummond in the mix? If we could get Love, wouldn't it sound stupid to keep arguing back and forth about if Smith is really better suited to PF than SF? Arguably the best defensive SF in the league would no longer be the focal point of ill-advised shot selection conversation with an offensive monster like Love playing alongside him, then there's always Drummond there to clean up the misses. When will the Rondo talk stop and the Love talk begin? Am I the only one who thinks that Love would be the better major move player, if we decide to get rid of Monroe? Wouldn't that shake up the league? Now talk about dumping the oh, so, valuable expiring contracts of Stuckey and Villanueva...too many blacks going to Minnesota? How about Monroe, Singler, and Jerebko, with future considerations? Don't get me wrong, this ain't a black or white thing, it's a three big men for one thing; Love really has had his fill of the Timberwolves anyway. Will the Monroe for Love get any traction? I doubt it because it makes too much sense; he's not anyone's friend, not undersized, nor has he suffered any career threatening injuries. He'll make our hated Pistons too good for the masses around the league, and that'll never do.
DX, I proposed that a few weeks ago when I saw that Love was a consideration for trade based on his high salary and what his team was doing.  I would do it in a second.  There are a lot of young PFs out there that they could also trade Love to.  Why would they choose the Pistons after they have stolen the show this summer?  Most likely not going to happen.  
Stones, Greg Monroe could make it happen; Greg Monroe and a couple of smart, energetic big men like Singler and Jerebko could/should make it happen. You're right, and I didn't mean to slight you, you did suggest Kevin Love some time ago, as a trade target; I was not original with that one!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Singler and Jerebko

Post  deusXango Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:01 am

Oracle wrote:
merc wrote:Like Don, I think we're missing something in Singler... a true gym rat with range and defense.... let's not toss him out with the bath water.
I'm conflicted about Singler!

On a team with limited talent last year, Singler got way more attention than his talent level would normally command.

This year on a way more talented squad, Singler may get less attention than his talent commands, but there's no question that he's a lot lower on the pecking order these days.

This happens to a lot of players, and Singler is going to have to fight to get minutes with this roster, but to be honest, it's going to be tough!

Pony Tail is likely the better shooter, and JJ is the better defender, so situationally, I still don't see how he gets many minutes!

Singlers biggest hope is that he tends to be a coaches favorite for his smarts and balanced skill set!

He's going to have to impress Cheeks and keep his nose between those cheeks(so to speak)
Merc, the wisdom of your words are not lost on me about throwing Singler away (we've done that with too many players who we could use already), and Oracle, you've made your usual thoughtful assessment of the big picture, by putting him in his proper place with the growing talent base of this team; players like Singler and Jerebko on your bench is what makes champions who they are, deep with hard working role players, that are dedicated to winning. This is, IMHO, the main reason Joe resigned Bynum, as he fits that bill also.

The great fact is that for years we've cried out for the new guys be given a chance to show their worth, and make a contribution to our ongoing rebuild, and the players who've "done their thing," so to speak, slide back into the rotation as the overall talent demands. Well now the "new" talent consists of Smith, KCP, Jennings, and Datome; we need to see what these players bring to the table A.S.A.P.!! Smith and Datome (even Mitchell) are going to take minutes away from Singler and Jerebko, like Jennings and KCP should move Billups and Stuckey back in the rotation; these are not only the new players, but upgrades for the Pistons. When you're coming off a 29 win season and the boss is demanding the playoffs, that Lil' Larry mentality of allowing politics and ego to rule the day is over; it's winning time and the humility of players like Singler, Jerebko, and Bynum (in particular) who remain ready to give their all, when called on, will go a long way toward that goal.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Past history...

Post  Go Stones! Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:50 am

DX, I proposed that a few weeks ago when I saw that Love was a consideration for trade based on his high salary and what his team was doing. I would do it in a second. There are a lot of young PFs out there that they could also trade Love to. Why would they choose the Pistons after they have stolen the show this summer? Most likely not going to happen.
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Singler

Post  Oracle Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:06 am

I'm conflicted about Singler!

On a team with limited talent last year, Singler got way more attention than his talent level would normally command.

This year on a way more talented squad, Singler may get less attention than his talent commands, but there's no question that he's a lot lower on the pecking order these days.

This happens to a lot of players, and Singler is going to have to fight to get minutes with this roster, but to be honest, it's going to be tough!

Pony Tail is likely the better shooter, and JJ is the better defender, so situationally, I still don't see how he gets many minutes!

Singlers biggest hope is that he tends to be a coaches favorite for his smarts and balanced skill set!

He's going to have to impress Cheeks and keep his nose between those cheeks(so to speak)
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty This is not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact!

Post  deusXango Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:25 am

Phil1980boy wrote:This was not A bad trade by Joe. We all are looking to see if Jennings can step his game up and become A top 10 PG in the NBA.

We all hope it happens in Detroit but the real truth is that he is just keeping R.Rondo's spot warm until Boston comes back to reality and trades him to Detroit for Jennings, Stuckey, Charlie V and we take back some of the Celtics trash like Crash Wallace.

It will be A trade or the Pistons will have to wait till Rondo becomes A free agent in 2015/16. But Rondo will not last in Boston that long.  
Phillip, answer me this, why is our Pistons the ONLY team associated with Rondo in these endless trade rumors; not the Knicks, or the Heat, or the Lakers, just us!! Doesn't this strike you as strange, more than appealing? There are no rumors about these big market franchises, who badly need a PG.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Jennings is just keeping the PG spot warm until Rondo gets here

Post  Phil-Good Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:16 am

This was not A bad trade by Joe. We all are looking to see if Jennings can step his game up and become A top 10 PG in the NBA.

We all hope it happens in Detroit but the real truth is that he is just keeping R.Rondo's spot warm until Boston comes back to reality and trades him to Detroit for Jennings, Stuckey, Charlie V and we take back some of the Celtics trash like Crash Wallace.

It will be A trade or the Pistons will have to wait till Rondo becomes A free agent in 2015/16. But Rondo will not last in Boston that long.
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty B. Abbott of ESPN had this to say

Post  deusXango Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:13 am

"One lens through which to see the decline of the Detroit Pistons: They broke up a championship squad, slowly, over years, to better organize the team around ... Rodney Stuckey. It was a big bet, and through no fault of Stuckey's, it failed. And sad but true: One key to returning to glory is relegating Stuckey to a smaller role."

After six years of failure and decline, some people still want him to start, and thus be a focal point of the team; remember, "he has to have the ball in his hands to be effective." Where does that leave Billups (the old) and Caldwell-Pope (the new) or the recently signed Jennings (the hope)? Go figure.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:21 am

Like Don, I think we're missing something in Singler... a true gym rat with range and defense.... let's not toss him out with the bath water.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty My oh my, minor breaking news...

Post  Oracle Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Well, Shabazz Muhammad is breaking rules already! While I can understand wanting a little nookie, you need to follow the rules! Don, I know you like this kid, but damn, can't he at least get started right?

Muhammad sent home from rookie transition program
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another subject, Oden has signed with the Heat - Oden finalizes his signing with Heat

The question is where do you place Oden on the Buzzards Scale? With the buzzard scale being 0-10, where 0 means he's totally good to go, and 10 means they've picked his bones clean!

I'm giving him a 8, because I can see them picking over that carcass well before the all star break!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Siva hits a SICK shot!!!

Post  Oracle Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty The SG position?

Post  Phil-Good Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:05 pm

This to me this is A easy choice.

1. Stuckey can't shoot. Never has, never will be able to shoot the basketball. Not in his basketball IQ. TRADE BAIT!! lol 

2. Big shot in the Ego Billups. I would have locked Billups in at this position but as usual he runs his mouth about how he did not want to play SG in LA. So bring this guy off the pine where he belongs.

3. Singler. I have no problem with Singler. Smart, good shooter, hard working guy. But naturally A small forward.

4. M.C.P. This position is his to take. It's no pressure on him but let's keep it real. You were A top 10 pick. GO GET IT!! Son!!
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Moose for Love?

Post  Sebastian Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:25 pm

DX, no thanks. Love hasn't played anywhere near a complete season, since his rookie season when he played in 81 games. The guy is good, true, but how many games will he play before he has some weird off-the-court injury that will shelve him for the remainder of the season. Also, the true value of having Moose is that he can also play the Center position, quite effectively. Love can't play Center.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Trey Burke, rookie of the year?

Post  Oracle Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:35 pm

He has a good shot at it because he'll get a lot of minutes running the Jazz team!

I like his chances, here's a video interview - Trey Burke talks draft, living in Utah with NBC Sports
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Drummond: From NBC Sports

Post  Oracle Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:24 pm

"The Detroit Pistons are going to be interesting next season, and not just because they added Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings.

They have Andre Drummond, who if he had been healthy all season would have been in the Rookie of the Year conversation (he wouldn’t have beaten out Damian Lillard, but it would have been a discussion at least). Drummond is also the guy out of last year’s rookie class who could make the biggest leap next season.

As a reminder, here is Drummond being a man among boys at the Orlando Summer League.

I’ve got some serious questions about floor spacing, but the Detroit Pistons are going to be better and interesting this season. Mo Cheeks has his work cut out for him." - NBC Sports 

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty So ya' want to trade Greg Monroe?

Post  deusXango Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Since the free agent signing of Josh Smith, all the talk has been about how he and Greg Monroe couldn't compliment each other, with Andre Drummond in the mix, so let's trade Monroe for Rondo! Rajon Rondo is after all, friends with Josh Smith (like that in and of itself is the formula for a championship) and one of the best PG's in the league. Not a week has gone by without a Rondo rumor surfacing about him coming to Detroit; nowhere else, but Detroit! This is the exception to the rule; trade our young, promising, big man for an oft injured PG (little man) who's only one of the best.

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Yo Stones ...

Post  Sebastian Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Go Stones! wrote:Here's my $0.02:

To start the season...I'd like to see Jennings start at PG (because he is the best distributor with quickness) and Billups to start at SG.  I look at Billups starting similar to B.Wallace starting back in the day...to set the tone the first 15-20 minutes, then let Stuckey/MCP take a turn.  I also would think that with Jennings/Billups/Stuckey that they could intermingle with the SG/PG positions with taking turns bringing up the ball, etc.  This is how Dumars/Zeke/Microwave did it.  

In the 2nd half, I'd like to see MCP start at SG with a pairing of Billups/Silva acting like L.Hunter/Mike James of 2004 and Bynum playing his C.Atkins role - spark plug off the bench.

Assuming that we will trade Stuckey or CV or both for an upgrade somewhere else, I wonder what position that will be.  I'm guessing SG or SF.  A lot determines what happens with these positions.  Do Smith/Moose/Dre work well together on the floor at the same time?  Do we have more of a need for a back-up center?  I'd liek to see Smith/Monroe/Dre combine to cover the PF/C position the majority of the time and could sign someone like Gay/Deng/Granger for SF duties at the deadline.  Another part of me sees SG as the need.  We have many to play it, but no one is hands down the starter.  A lot depends if Mo likes Stuckey...and how MCP works out.  Does MCP peak at the all-star break like Dre did?  Or does he peak at the playoffs like Prince did?  

Great thoughts!  Keep them up!
I believe you mean to type "KCP" (Kantavious Caldwell-Pope). I think you may be, somehow, getting his initial mixed-up with the skinny kid, Michael Carter-Williams (MCW) out of Syracuse that will be destroyed, during his first season in Philly.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Joe's "statue"

Post  Sebastian Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 pm

deusXango wrote:
Sebastian wrote:But, no doubt about, this is best team that Joe has assembled (on paper), probably since he has been the GM.
Sebastian, I totally agree with that statement, but what bothers me is, considering he did it all in one summer, why the hell did he make us fans suffer for so long? Rather than call Joe an asshole, as I'm tempted to do, I believe he had an unreported mental break on the job. Seriously. Could that insane weight gain be associated with a regimen of psychotropic medications?
You know DX, I have recently wonder what it would do to OUR roster, in turns of motivational success, if Joe was to lose say 10-20 .lbs over the course of the season.

If the players were to see him working out and dropping a few .lbs, I believe that would indirectly and subconsciously cause them to do their very best.

I still remember reading, where the "Junk Yard Dog" (aka Jerome Williams) was surprised out of his mind when he became a Piston during his rookie season ('96-'97), two years before Joe retired at the age of 33, how surprised he was to see Joe running and jumping like a young Joe Dumars.

Man, the affect that it would have on OUR roster, mentally, would be unmeasurable not to mention potentially an extra five years added to the life of my favorite Piston of all time.

Do it Joe for your health and your family.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Great Discussion: SG/PG

Post  Go Stones! Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Here's my $0.02:

To start the season...I'd like to see Jennings start at PG (because he is the best distributor with quickness) and Billups to start at SG. I look at Billups starting similar to B.Wallace starting back in the day...to set the tone the first 15-20 minutes, then let Stuckey/MCP take a turn. I also would think that with Jennings/Billups/Stuckey that they could intermingle with the SG/PG positions with taking turns bringing up the ball, etc. This is how Dumars/Zeke/Microwave did it.

In the 2nd half, I'd like to see MCP start at SG with a pairing of Billups/Silva acting like L.Hunter/Mike James of 2004 and Bynum playing his C.Atkins role - spark plug off the bench.

Assuming that we will trade Stuckey or CV or both for an upgrade somewhere else, I wonder what position that will be. I'm guessing SG or SF. A lot determines what happens with these positions. Do Smith/Moose/Dre work well together on the floor at the same time? Do we have more of a need for a back-up center? I'd liek to see Smith/Monroe/Dre combine to cover the PF/C position the majority of the time and could sign someone like Gay/Deng/Granger for SF duties at the deadline. Another part of me sees SG as the need. We have many to play it, but no one is hands down the starter. A lot depends if Mo likes Stuckey...and how MCP works out. Does MCP peak at the all-star break like Dre did? Or does he peak at the playoffs like Prince did?

Great thoughts! Keep them up!
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty I'm glad that Joe's back on track, in spite of...

Post  deusXango Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Sebastian wrote:But, no doubt about, this is best team that Joe has assembled (on paper), probably since he has been the GM.
Sebastian, I totally agree with that statement, but what bothers me is, considering he did it all in one summer, why the hell did he make us fans suffer for so long? Rather than call Joe an asshole, as I'm tempted to do, I believe he had an unreported mental break on the job. Seriously. Could that insane weight gain be associated with a regimen of psychotropic medications?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty The SG position?

Post  Sebastian Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 pm

deusXango wrote:Are we solving the SG dilemma by going with the sentimental favorite, of our individual choice, or are we open to going with the BEST fit for now and the future?

Chauncey Billups vs. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope vs. Rodney Stuckey is the root of this question; is sentiment the driving force or is common sense, with an eye on the future? Winning now is the goal. Consistency is a must. Development of the player with the highest ceiling should reap positive returns on our investment. Who packages more of size, athleticism, skill, hops, defensive aggression, and youth for our SG candidate? Who has the most negatives and "red flags," like being physically fragile, low basketball I.Q., poor outside shot, me first mentality, diva-like or poisonous attitude, and age going against them? Do we really want to invest time in trying to glorify a player now, who won't be here beyond 1-2 years, or do we want to start developing a player who will be reaching their peak, with our core group, in the next 1-2 years?

I'm not knocking any particular guard now, but I am championing the latest lottery pick, who's coming into a situation that none of our other lottery picks had the luxury of coming into; I'm championing a natural, gifted, athlete, who it appears has the potential that rivals some of the Pistons greatest SG's, if given a chance and nurtured. Did Joe draft Caldwell-Pope to sit and watch (a piss-poor way to learn the pro game) or did he draft him to be a vital part of our future? Has he been given a fair chance to compete for the starting spot? If Ben McLemore had fallen to us, would he be sitting, while all the other horses were out of the gate? Just how terrible is a starting backcourt of Jennings and Caldwell-Pope, with our Big 3 frontline, going to be? What would be the drawbacks, other than that backcourt doesn't include one or both of our sentimental favorites.
DX, the concerns/questions by Pistons Fans regarding the starting SG position are valid and as far as I am concern, I think that it is one of the intriguing decisions that will be made to start OUR 2013-2014 campaign.

Mo' getting this initial decision right will help to set the table for the complete rotation of the roster.

I think that Mo' will do as Joe mumbled the other day, he will let the play in Training Camp determine the starters/rotations.

I think that Chauncey is the wildcard in the whole pool of guards (Jennings, KCP, Stuckey, Will B., Siva). Let's agree not to include Singler, as at best Singler is a backup, to the backup SF. Because if Linguine playes anything like he does in that youtube video, then he should be the back-up SF.

DX, I'm with you when you say that KCP, because of his youth and projected growth should probably start with Jennings, J-Smoove, Moose, and Dre Drummond. If the kid is able to knock down jumpers and play tough D on his man, then he would probably be the best person to start at the SG position, 24 minutes per game.

Chauncey who said he is not a SG and said that he would start has got to realize that he is going to have to play a support role, he's actually going to have to play more SG minutes than he may would like and in a back-up role, 20 minutes per game.

Stuckey should see back-up minutes at the PG position (16 minutes) and SG position (12 minutes). Stuckey has a Jarret Jack quality about his game that can't be denied.

Jennings should start at the PG position (32 minutes).

Will B. should only get in, if there is a blow-out or if Chauncey is faced with a season ending injury or an injury that will require an extended period of absence from the roster.

Siva can look smooth in dress clothes and learn the pro game, while in practice.

But, no doubt about, this is best team that Joe has assembled (on paper), probably since he has been the GM.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Question

Post  deusXango Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Are we solving the SG dilemma by going with the sentimental favorite, of our individual choice, or are we open to going with the BEST fit for now and the future?

Chauncey Billups vs. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope vs. Rodney Stuckey is the root of this question; is sentiment the driving force or is common sense, with an eye on the future? Winning now is the goal. Consistency is a must. Development of the player with the highest ceiling should reap positive returns on our investment. Who packages more of size, athleticism, skill, hops, defensive aggression, and youth for our SG candidate? Who has the most negatives and "red flags," like being physically fragile, low basketball I.Q., poor outside shot, me first mentality, diva-like or poisonous attitude, and age going against them? Do we really want to invest time in trying to glorify a player now, who won't be here beyond 1-2 years, or do we want to start developing a player who will be reaching their peak, with our core group, in the next 1-2 years?

I'm not knocking any particular guard now, but I am championing the latest lottery pick, who's coming into a situation that none of our other lottery picks had the luxury of coming into; I'm championing a natural, gifted, athlete, who it appears has the potential that rivals some of the Pistons greatest SG's, if given a chance and nurtured. Did Joe draft Caldwell-Pope to sit and watch (a piss-poor way to learn the pro game) or did he draft him to be a vital part of our future? Has he been given a fair chance to compete for the starting spot? If Ben McLemore had fallen to us, would he be sitting, while all the other horses were out of the gate? Just how terrible is a starting backcourt of Jennings and Caldwell-Pope, with our Big 3 frontline, going to be? What would be the drawbacks, other than that backcourt doesn't include one or both of our sentimental favorites.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 23 Empty Knight

Post  Sparma Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks Oracle. Under the circumstances, I do think BK's better off in Milwaukee where his opportunities will abound.

He's still superyoung, but he's also quite experienced, having played lots of minutes in two years, most of them at PG. From the checking I've done on PGs I'd expect (1) some upward trending in the next few years as he approaches his peak but (2) results consistent with what he's already shown.

btw, comparing Jennings assists to TOs ratios in his first two years to BK's first two years leaves Jennings with a really significant advantage.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next