Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade

4 posters

Go down

Trade Empty Trade

Post  lemonpen Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 am

Murph wrote:"Seriously though, how would WE fix him. It's no longer in Simmons hands."

Lemon...I'm guessing Simmons had his "come to Jesus moment."  I'm guessing that after that embarrassing playoff performance and Steven A.'s reaming out that Simmons will work hard for the rest of his career.

I'm with Sparma.  I think the guy is a potential super-star, but one that the 76ers are going to have to dump, because the Philly fans have turned on him.  I'm also guessing he's going to be hard to move due to his contract and recent playoff performance.

If Weaver is smart, which he is, he should look to buy low.  If Simmons could fix his head and fix his shot, he can play 5 positions.  The only other guy I can think of who could play 5 positions was Magic Johnson.

Murph / Sparma,  I would be a complete dumbass to ignore the possibility of acquiring a talent like Simmons (there, I've said it for you).  Yes, he is all that you guys have described.  I agree that his troubles are rooted more deeply than only shooting skills.  Is he a winner?  Is he a leader?

RealGM The abyss between Ben Simmons and his potential

Excerpt:  "There are other damning numbers we could throw around, but watching Simmons, measuring his presence, is all you really need to do. The guy just isn’t assertive when it matters. He’s got 34 playoff games under his belt and they live in the memory like days where nothing happened. There has been no arrival from Simmons, no high water mark performance from a couple years back that he has since failed to live up to. You still have to use your imagination with him. He’ll be 25 in a few weeks. It’s getting a little too Jeff Greenish for comfort."

As wanna be GM's we must assess the downside of failing to (a) fix his issues or (b) make him effective.  The financial commitment is simply too great to risk that Simmons can or will self correct.  Detroit, Philly, or whomever eventually owns his contract will become obligated to play an active role in all elements of development and execution of an improvement plan (mentally, emotionally, & skill)

Lastly,
- according to RealGM the deal can be made by giving up Grant and Cory Joseph (fully guaranteed).  Replacing Korkmaz with Grant, and providing a serviceable PG makes the Sixers a beast.

- Philly may also be motivated to deal because Embiid is due a super max-extension beginning 2023-24 bringing him to $47M per.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Fixing Simmons

Post  Murph Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 am

"Seriously though, how would WE fix him. It's no longer in Simmons hands."

Lemon...I'm guessing Simmons had his "come to Jesus moment." I'm guessing that after that embarrassing playoff performance and Steven A.'s reaming out that Simmons will work hard for the rest of his career.

I'm with Sparma. I think the guy is a potential super-star, but one that the 76ers are going to have to dump, because the Philly fans have turned on him. I'm also guessing he's going to be hard to move due to his contract and recent playoff performance.

If Weaver is smart, which he is, he should look to buy low. If Simmons could fix his head and fix his shot, he can play 5 positions. The only other guy I can think of who could play 5 positions was Magic Johnson.

Murph

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Will Weaver try to trade 3 second round picks for another pick in the first round?

Post  cool breeze Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:35 am

There actually are some good players again expected to last into the 2nd round. It is so fantastic that finally we have someone who knows what they are doing aka Weaver. The Pistons not only have the first pick in this draft but also have options instead of no options. It seems everyday I feel differently about what our GM might do next. How exciting for us fans isn't it. Will he trade with Orlando for several first round picks including two high picks this year for rights to Cunningham or do what makes the most sense to me draft this projected All Star player. At first I was thinking that Weaver would try to move Hayes if he picks Cade. But now I envision those two created mis matches as a potential great backcourt of the future. Both have really good size and quickness. They also have high basketball IQs.

With that said, I do not believe that Simmons will be joining the Detroit Pistons. Weaver is too smart to take on his contract. Also something is wrong with a player of his natural ability not to have worked harder to develop an offensive game. Our young core doesn't seem to have that problem. My feeling is that our players believe they can make the playoffs next year and are doing everything possible to improve their individual skills.I love the way they play basketball and adding Cunningham as a prolific scorer and play maker will make us fans forget the past. The only way the Pistons are going now is up. What if we keep the 3 second round picks and one of them becomes a rotation piece next season? Adding our new outstanding assistant coach from Boston changes everything relating to developing talent.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Simmons

Post  Sparma Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:12 pm

There's no way we'd have a shot at Simmons with the kind of packages we're proposing [and we may not anyway] unless there were some serious, serious doubts about the fantastically talented, uberathletic, Simmons. I don't know if three stars are needed to be a champion, or even be a genuine contender, but it really helps. With Cade on board, maybe, maybe we can pick up a genuine star next season with Blake's c. 30 mil. It looks now like Simmons could be that third star (or the second, chronologically).

A couple of my basic Piston fan convictions are: a) a team like Detroit (whether guided by Weaver, SVG, or whomever) needs to either get real lucky [and lightning did strike once the other night] and/ or real creative to be a consistent contender in today's league, b) at the right time, it's important to make the right bet, going big, without blowing up the team. Buying low on Simmons with the hope of a huge pay off fits those ongoing convictions well, I believe.

My convictions are quite irrelevant to what actually happens, of course. And Weaver's proven that he's guided by his own compass. So on this fan forum, I'm often simply reporting what I would do if I were in control. Which I'm obviously not.

lemonpen wrote:
Sparma wrote:I favor a Simmons trade if it can be done with a good deal.

That said, there are some big worries associated with Simmons, as others have pointed out.  Stephen A. Smith can be full of bluster, but he has excellent NBA connections.  Smith cites someone close to the situation who says that Simmons doesn't listen and doesn't work.  Dang, that sounds bad.  I can only hope that Simmons' humiliation on national TV serves to make him determined to improve.  I do also hear he plans to spend the summer on skills development, so that sounds good.

lemonpen wrote:
Murph wrote:For me, the untouchables are Stewart, Bey, Hayes, Cunningham and all our draft picks. I would give up any combination of anyone else to land Simmons.

I feel that is consistent with a philosophy of rebuilding from scratch.

Let's say acquiring Simmons is do-able under those condition.   To me this is very much like a dog who chases vehicles.  What happens when it catches one?  What happens if Philly agrees.

You are then saddled with a 30 million dollar dude, until 2025, who's hands you currently cannot place the outcome of a game into.  A guy, who refuses to become engaged in your offense.  A guy, who can't shoot a lick, as the result of his own failure to put in the work (5 years into a career).   A guy who as the result of uber-poor FT shooting WILL give you empty possession after empty possession during crunch time.  

How do you fix him?  Seems like that would eventually become a topic of discussion when seeking Gores approval.

Now I get it.  You hate Troy Weaver, and want him fired.   mad  mad  mad  mad
That's gotta be it.   Was it the Brown or Kennard deal that drove you over the edge?

Why else would anyone want Troy to approach Gores for agreement to trade Grant and (fill in the blank), to take on the $145M B.S. contract with a rationale which begins with "I HOPE".  
What did Troy do to you?  You can tell me.  lol!  lol!  lol!

Seriously though, how would WE fix him.   It's no longer in Simmons hands.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Ah Ha !!!!!

Post  lemonpen Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:03 pm

Sparma wrote:I favor a Simmons trade if it can be done with a good deal.

That said, there are some big worries associated with Simmons, as others have pointed out.  Stephen A. Smith can be full of bluster, but he has excellent NBA connections.  Smith cites someone close to the situation who says that Simmons doesn't listen and doesn't work.  Dang, that sounds bad.  I can only hope that Simmons' humiliation on national TV serves to make him determined to improve.  I do also hear he plans to spend the summer on skills development, so that sounds good.

lemonpen wrote:
Murph wrote:For me, the untouchables are Stewart, Bey, Hayes, Cunningham and all our draft picks. I would give up any combination of anyone else to land Simmons.

Let's say acquiring Simmons is do-able under those condition.   To me this is very much like a dog who chases vehicles.  What happens when it catches one?  What happens if Philly agrees.

You are then saddled with a 30 million dollar dude, until 2025, who's hands you currently cannot place the outcome of a game into.  A guy, who refuses to become engaged in your offense.  A guy, who can't shoot a lick, as the result of his own failure to put in the work (5 years into a career).   A guy who as the result of uber-poor FT shooting WILL give you empty possession after empty possession during crunch time.  

How do you fix him?  Seems like that would eventually become a topic of discussion when seeking Gores approval.

Now I get it. You hate Troy Weaver, and want him fired. mad mad mad mad
That's gotta be it. Was it the Brown or Kennard deal that drove you over the edge?

Why else would anyone want Troy to approach Gores for agreement to trade Grant and (fill in the blank), to take on the $145M B.S. contract with a rationale which begins with "I HOPE".
What did Troy do to you? You can tell me. lol! lol! lol!

Seriously though, how would WE fix him. It's no longer in Simmons hands.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Simmons

Post  Sparma Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:24 pm

I favor a Simmons trade if it can be done with a good deal.

That said, there are some big worries associated with Simmons, as others have pointed out. Stephen A. Smith can be full of bluster, but he has excellent NBA connections. Smith cites someone close to the situation who says that Simmons doesn't listen and doesn't work. Dang, that sounds bad. I can only hope that Simmons' humiliation on national TV serves to make him determined to improve. I do also hear he plans to spend the summer on skills development, so that sounds good.

lemonpen wrote:

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Trade

Post  lemonpen Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:53 pm

Let's say acquiring Simmons is do-able under those condition. To me this is very much like a dog who chases vehicles. What happens when it catches one? What happens if Philly agrees.

You are then saddled with a 30 million dollar dude, until 2025, who's hands you currently cannot place the outcome of a game into. A guy, who refuses to become engaged in your offense. A guy, who can't shoot a lick, as the result of his own failure to put in the work (5 years into a career). A guy who as the result of uber-poor FT shooting WILL give you empty possession after empty possession during crunch time.

How do you fix him? Seems like that would eventually become a topic of discussion when seeking Gores approval.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Trade

Post  Murph Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 am

For me, the untouchables are Stewart, Bey, Hayes, Cunningham and all our draft picks. I would give up any combination of anyone else to land Simmons.

Murph

Back to top Go down

Trade Empty Re: Trade

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum