Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
lemonpen
BallinD
Murph
deusXango
cool breeze
Sparma
10 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Chi-Town Bubble

Post  lemonpen Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:39 am

As Richard Pryor would say,

"We need a Chi-Town bubble like a hog needs slop".

Our guys need to play. Let's find out who has used their time off for skill development. Who is really fighting for a position. The GM needs to lay eyes on them.

Side note: Oh Lord, please open the bowling alleys. PLEASE!!!
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Drummond, pt Dux

Post  lemonpen Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:29 am

Our mistake wasn't failing to trade him a year ago, or so. It was giving his lazy behind the $125M deal.

Being considered for the Olympic Select Team early on revealed Dre's professional character. Dre was ruined, believing he was all that, never seriously seeking improvement.

9 years in as an old fashioned center, and no reliable post move. $25-30M ?!?!?
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty New GM

Post  lemonpen Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:13 am

Let's hope that a great eye for talent is a characteristic which travels well.  Dude has to not only draft a few nuggets but generate some bang for our considerable FA budget.

Uncover someone else's lottery pick needing a new home.  Ala Mr Big Shot or McDyess.

Last edited by lemonpen on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Draft

Post  lemonpen Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:58 am

No Zeke's or Hill's, no problem.

Without the efforts of a special few unheralded picks we have no laundry in our rafters. Joe D., Salley, Rodman, and Prince.

This may be the year we find those value picks who produce near all star level while on rookie contracts. Luke, Svi, Wood and Brown will be on 2nd, larger contracts by the time we really get rolling.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Drummond

Post  lemonpen Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:47 am

You all have seen countless ageless examples of what winners look like, and specifically at what point during a game they earn the label, forging W's.

Dre has seldom met the standard. Aww screw it, never met the standard, because consistency matters. Guys in Murph's list are miles closer despite their pay. Insult Alert,
AD can't carry Horford jock.

IMHO Dre enjoys the trappings afforded by membership far more than success.

Good luck and good riddance.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Trade Scenario

Post  Murph Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 pm

Suppose we get lucky in the lottery, and somehow land the #2 pick in the draft. In that situation, I would trade the rights to LaMelo Ball to the Knicks for the rights to Halliburton or Hayes and their #25 pick (Sadiq Bey?). Heck, while we’re at it, we should ask for theKnicks 2nd round pick also (Jay Scrubb? CJ Elleby?).

Sparma...the Cavs need to bring Love off the bench and start Larry Nance Jr at PF. Love would excel in that role. He’d probably win 6th Man.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 pm

deusXango wrote:"I still believe the Pistons should trade their 1st round pick and try to get 2 first rounders or 1 first round pick and 2 second round picks. This draft is a crap shoot at the top positions in this draft. No player really stands out to me. The players listed in the top 6 appear to be no better than the players listed below them. The Pistons need to be smart again and find those hard nosed team orientated players who only care about winning. Too many hot dogs have ruined the Detroit Pistons in recent years who play for stats not wins. I would love to see Detroit get 3 picks in this draft even if 2 of them are in the 2nd round. Draft with TEAM in mind. Find players who have been part of a winning program."
-Cool Breeze

Always with the generalities, name some names. Without specifics or alternatives this is so much hot air. The Pistons trade their first round pick (the best in years) for 2 first rounders or a first and 2 second round picks. In this "crap shoot" you can't come up with 2 or 3 names and why they'd benefit Detroit? There's got to be more than endless criticisms to you Don. If something is wrong offer solutions.

I don't want to waste a whole season, be free of Lazy Ass Reggie and Dumb & Dumber Drummond just to end up with Cole Anthony and a couple of lessor lights. There's talk of buying first round picks, why can't we buy one? A PG and an out-cold shooter would be nice. Hayes or Haliburton. Vassell or Nesmith. I believe a combination of any of those two would make a difference. That's naming names!

What the f**k is this continual angst about re-signing Wood? Wood isn't going to blunder his career away, as some have suggested, and I can't believe this team is willing to pay Snell $12+M without so much as a blink (there's that $5M Josh Smith money also) but, unofficial bean counters worry about paying Wood a decent contract. For the fans that place such a high value on defense, draft Okongwu with our pick; he's a defensive stud from rim-to-rim. Stop dreaming Griffin in the hero's role...he's damn good, not great anymore. I've got to mention my choice for sleeper of the year; Snell for a high second round pick and draft Jay Scrubb! 6' 6" lefty SG that's everything we dreamed Kennard would become.

That was a nice tongue lashing dX but in the past I have given sound reasons for moving down in the draft this year. Nobody in my opinion stands out as a sure thing in the first 5 group on most draft boards. The Pistons do not want to draft a 2 guard like Edwards. Who has been really tested? For sure not Ball for whatever reason he decided not to play in a good college program last season. WHY? Did he have eligibility problems? Was he afraid to play at UCLA like his older brother did and have to be The Man? Was he worried that he might not make the starting lineup because he could not hold his own on defense? I really don't know how good he really might be because he didn't show us how he can play under extreme pressure. College players wanting to stay only one season have a lot of pressure on them. They first have to make the starting lineup which isn't easy in a good program because the coaches insist that players have to prove they can defend someone and not turn the ball over on offense. It is not easy to make that jump from Euro ball or AAU ball to college ball. Don't underestimate what it takes for a freshman to be the best player and go to player in crunch time. Opposing teams target the best player and do things NBA coaches cannot do to shut them down. If they don't handle that kind of pressure and few can, then they have to return for another season.

Killian Hayes did not play college basketball. He has good size but is not an outstanding athlete. He is supposed to have a high basketball IQ for the type of competition he played against but showed that he is not a good defender. I would not take a chance on Hayes at number 5.

Ball has good size at 6 foot 8 inches but again how can anyone tell if he can play at NBA level. For whatever reason either he didn't qualify to play in the NCAA or he was afraid to take a chance playing for UCLA like his older brother did, I don't feel confident that he is more than a project player at this point in time. Like Killian, there is a lot of hype relating to Ball as the 2nd coming. The other thing I don't like about drafting Ball if he were available is that there is no way he wants to play for the Pistons. He would be a one contract player for the Pistons.

Okongwu from USC is a player that I have seen in person. He is 6 foot 9 inches and would be trying to earn playing time at the power forward position. I have doubts that he could be a rotation player in his first season but could be wrong. He is a really good athlete and a good board man. He hit some big shots against Arizona too but had lapses on defense as well. He could turn out to be a decent pick but I would rather trade down and get more than one player.

If the Pistons keep their pick I would look at drafting OB Toppin from Dayton if he is available. He is a strong player in my opinion.

If the Pistons trade down for a lower rated first rounder I would draft Nico Mannion who for sure would be a rotation player in his rookie year. Last season Mannion was rated in the top 5. He won a game dribbling through 3 players and making a bank shot at the buzzer early in the season. There was no stopping Mannion early on last season but he had 2 poor shooting games in a row and the draft experts starting to move him down in the rankings. But one has to know this about Mannion. He was a good defender throughout his slump and was an amazing floor leader on offense. He set up the offense and showed that he had outstanding court vision. He got his mojo back towards the end of his college career too. Mannion was a freshman and every team he played against had a game plan set up to stop him from scoring or touching the ball on offense. He has been through all the pressure situations a player can have who plays for one season. Also Sean Miller his coach does not feature star players. They have to exceed in his system by playing within his system. He will be really successful in my opinion playing the wide open NBA game. He has good speed and change of pace and a high basketball IQ. Mannion is as good of a point guard as there is in this draft with the possible exception of Payton Pritchard who in my opinion was the best overall point guard in college basketball last year. He was clearly THE MAN in every game he played. He was always the best player on the floor as well and there are many players he played against that he kicked ass and took names against. Pritchard is listed as the 48th overall pick which is insane. he always played well in pressure situations hitting long range shots against 2 defenders. I saw him play in person for 4 games over the years and was always amazed at how smart this guy was in every game. He beat many teams who have players listed in the first round. There just is no justice and shows that the experts are usually idiots who might have leaning towards certain players depending on which agents are representing those players they place in the top 10.

The other player that I have mentioned many times as a real strong player who I believe is going to be a star player in the NBA is Zeke Nnaji. He is now listed out of the first round and at number 33. Zeke is 6 foot 11 inches tall and weighs 240. He can play 3 positions - center-power forward and small forward. This guy is an amazing athlete. When you see him in person you would see that he is not a slow moving big man. he is very athletic and can run the floor as fast as anyone. He plays strong defense, rebounds well and can finish in the paint. He always drew a double team but found ways to score especially with his sound jump shot. His jump shooting technique is really sweet. I would have no hesitation drafting Zeke with our number 1 pick even if the Pistons do not trade down. He is that good and he played as a freshman and was the most consistent player on the team. He teamed up with Mannion to offer a great combination. Zeke would rebound the ball and sprint to the offensive end to fill the lanes. This is another screw up by the experts. I watch a lot of college basketball and believe this ranking system is a scam. We found that out when Dumars drafted Darko who was perhaps the worst player drafted in his draft year but was rated as a top 2 pick. Trade this pick and move down please. And if that doesn't happen then trade Rose and Griffin and get some more picks. We need a lot of picks. Is that any doubt about that?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Drummond/ Blake

Post  Sparma Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Helpful ranking, Murph. I see the point that maybe it's only Gobert who should be paid more than AD. Still, my guess is that his pay will plummet after his one year option is up, in part because my sense is that the overall trend of the market will be downward for a bit. Lots of uncertainty, so this prediction is way too early and subject to revision, but I see him landing in the 18-20 range. Maybe he'll be back in the D, as Gores suggested when he left? Nah.

Dang it, I think you're right that Cleveland's ahead of Detroit with the rebuild. Cleveland does need to unload a still productive Love.

Don, glad to hear your hunch is similar as to how things may have played out behind the scenes with the FO prepared to deal the year before, but Gores putting up a barrier. Money rarely enters NBA trades, correct? Sadly, we unloaded the first we got from Milwaukee with money considerations playing an important role. In the olden days, 1st rounders were flatly sold, as you indicate. Didn't Phoenix sell at least one pick for 3 mil or so?

In other leagues, money can facilitates deals for overpaid guys. For instance, if Arsenal picked up a good portion of overpaid Ozil, they could unload him, but they probably won't do that. One issue with Blake is that his contract would fully count against the other team's cap. Also, ordinarily the salaries need to line up within, what, 25%. I don't understand the exception clearly, but if one team's below the cap it can make trades without meeting the matching requirement. Help me out, but I think Detroit can take on a salary, at least prior to resigning Christian Wood. Don't think that helps with Blake, but they can do some maneuvering in acquiring assets. With Blake, I think they'll need to wait until his expiring season after next season, but maybe the trade deadline could work, if he's playing very well then.

quote="Murph"]All in all, I think Drummond has done well for himself and is fairly paid.  The thing you have to remember is that regardless of their stats, NBA centers simply don’t make as much as PGs and wings.  Looking at the top 10 highest paid centers in the NBA for next year, Drummond falls right about where he should.

1.  Embiid       $29.5
2.  Jokic          $29.5
3.  Towns        $29.5
4.  Drummond $28.8
5.  Adams       $27.5
6.  Gobert       $27.5
7.  Horford      $27.5
8.  Vucevic      $26
9.  Sabonis      $19.8
10.Turner        $18

Looking at that list, Drummond is not only well paid compared to other NBA centers, but he’s right where he should be.  In fact, one could argue that Gobert should be making more than Drummond.

Not only that, Cleveland is a great landing spot for Drummond.  The Cavs are about 2 or 3 years further along in their rebuilding than the Pistons are.  The Pistons still have to work through Griffin’s salary before they can rebuild in earnest, and they will have several fewer young potential star players than the Cavs with which to rebuild.  

Of course, we’ll have to see what kind of a contract year Drummond has this year, and if the Cavs resign him to a long term contract for right around $28 - $30 a year.  But all things considered, Drummond has done quite well for himself.[/quote]
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Murph Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 am

All in all, I think Drummond has done well for himself and is fairly paid.  The thing you have to remember is that regardless of their stats, NBA centers simply don’t make as much as PGs and wings.  Looking at the top 10 highest paid centers in the NBA for next year, Drummond falls right about where he should.

1.  Embiid       $29.5
2.  Jokic          $29.5
3.  Towns        $29.5
4.  Drummond $28.8
5.  Adams       $27.5
6.  Gobert       $27.5
7.  Horford      $27.5
8.  Vucevic      $26
9.  Sabonis      $19.8
10.Turner        $18

Looking at that list, Drummond is not only well paid compared to other NBA centers, but he’s right where he should be.  In fact, one could argue that Gobert should be making more than Drummond.

Not only that, Cleveland is a great landing spot for Drummond.  The Cavs are about 2 or 3 years further along in their rebuilding than the Pistons are.  The Pistons still have to work through Griffin’s salary before they can rebuild in earnest, and they will have several fewer young potential star players than the Cavs with which to rebuild.  

Of course, we’ll have to see what kind of a contract year Drummond has this year, and if the Cavs resign him to a long term contract for right around $28 - $30 a year.  But all things considered, Drummond has done quite well for himself.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Negative vs. Positive

Post  deusXango Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 am

"I still believe the Pistons should trade their 1st round pick and try to get 2 first rounders or 1 first round pick and 2 second round picks. This draft is a crap shoot at the top positions in this draft. No player really stands out to me. The players listed in the top 6 appear to be no better than the players listed below them. The Pistons need to be smart again and find those hard nosed team orientated players who only care about winning. Too many hot dogs have ruined the Detroit Pistons in recent years who play for stats not wins. I would love to see Detroit get 3 picks in this draft even if 2 of them are in the 2nd round. Draft with TEAM in mind. Find players who have been part of a winning program."
-Cool Breeze

Always with the generalities, name some names. Without specifics or alternatives this is so much hot air. The Pistons trade their first round pick (the best in years) for 2 first rounders or a first and 2 second round picks. In this "crap shoot" you can't come up with 2 or 3 names and why they'd benefit Detroit? There's got to be more than endless criticisms to you Don. If something is wrong offer solutions.

I don't want to waste a whole season, be free of Lazy Ass Reggie and Dumb & Dumber Drummond just to end up with Cole Anthony and a couple of lessor lights. There's talk of buying first round picks, why can't we buy one? A PG and an out-cold shooter would be nice. Hayes or Haliburton. Vassell or Nesmith. I believe a combination of any of those two would make a difference. That's naming names!

What the f**k is this continual angst about re-signing Wood? Wood isn't going to blunder his career away, as some have suggested, and I can't believe this team is willing to pay Snell $12+M without so much as a blink (there's that $5M Josh Smith money also) but, unofficial bean counters worry about paying Wood a decent contract. For the fans that place such a high value on defense, draft Okongwu with our pick; he's a defensive stud from rim-to-rim. Stop dreaming Griffin in the hero's role...he's damn good, not great anymore. I've got to mention my choice for sleeper of the year; Snell for a high second round pick and draft Jay Scrubb! 6' 6" lefty SG that's everything we dreamed Kennard would become.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 am

[quote="Sparma"]I'm pretty sure the Pistons mishandled Drummond, but it's not so clear what the right way would have been.

There's a case to be made that w/o the Blake trade, and with a health Reggie J, they would have been on the right track.  Not so sure, skeptical as I am about Reggie J. on his best day.

I developed a performance/ pay ratio last season that resulted in me thinking that 22.5 mil was about the break even point.  That strikes me as high now because I expect numbers to be down and because Wood did so darned well with Drummond gone.

I agree that Drummond helped do himself in.  What comes to mind is an interview in which Reggie J speaks answers into Drummond's ear, who speaks them.  Made me wonder how much of a fool I was for putting so much psychic energy in those guys.  For one reason or another, Drummond wasn't much of a draw in Detroit, and that's even more true for Reggie.  That had to have played a role, at least with the team being mediocre year after year.

Early last year, I wouldn't have seen his long-term contract coming in below 20 mil per, but at this point I could believe it.  It only takes one though, as we're often told.

Let's say the FO figured out two years ago they wouldn't resign him for more than 20 mil +.  They should have gotten the best sense they could if he'd go for that (probably not given the stuff you've cited).  Deal him at that point, and I'm pretty sure you get a good 1st round pick in advance.  Maybe the wishy-washiness that resulted in a disastrous trade came from the FO being clear about what they wanted to do, but the owner being reluctant to let Drummond go, hoping to work out a deal.

[quote="BallinD"]Sparma, I'm on record among those who agree Dre was mishandled and could have been the right multiyear star with the right scheme and coach and effort.  As well, Dre was known for brain farts, checking out with a pout, and admittedly elbowing teamates with the temerity to challenge him for a rebound.  

He likely also brain farted himself into a rearguard action that resulted in a steep loss of value.  

Rumors&Innuendo: By declaring jubilantly with a wide grin during preseason that he would definitely opt out of his 19-20 contract and become a free agent meant that maybe some teams who might have traded for him with a belief they could re-sign him at a more reasonable price point became more reluctant.  This idea that he was perhaps worth less than $20M began to circulate as soon as he indicated he would opt out (Low market value then forced him to declare he would opt in to the Cavs).  His perceived value as a non-shooting big, an average rim protector but elite rebounder apparently did not translate at the $25 M plus price point, but is possible at a reasonable $15M.

Sparma wrote:Incredibly, that guy's going into his 9th season in '20-'21.

It will be interesting to find out where his next (long term) contract falls, and there's plenty of room for debate about the appropriate $$ value.

Two things about his Pistons' career seem pretty clear though:

a) the Pistons did a terrible job of using his 3-7 years as part of building a strong core

and

b) the F.O. got a terrible return in trade for one of the greatest rebounders ever.  If they were going to trade him, they should have done so earlier or later to get a decent return.

Andre's Piston career couldn't have been handled much worse.  He represents a wasted opportunity.

Murph wrote:I use to think Luke Kennard was a solid pick.  Sure, we should have taken Donovan Mitchell, but I thought Kennard was developing nicely.  Now, I’m not so sure.

As the years go on and Kennsrd  continues to get hurt year after year, he is becoming more of a disappointment.   It’s becoming obvious that we should have taken not only Mitchell, but a few others who are becoming league starts also, such as Bam Adenayo, Jarrett Allen, Johns Collins  and OG Anunoby.  

I mean Kennard isn’t even to best young guard on the Pistons.  That distinction goes to Brown.

Sparma,...you know who fits your description of a 3-7 year All Star player?   One who’s salary we dumped for nothing?   Yup...Drummond.  

Sparma I like Ballin's comment "do I care that much". Do I care where Drummond ends up no. However, your thought might be true that Piston management should have traded Drummond early on in his contract year once they knew he was asking for way too much money. I think you might be correct that maybe and that is a big maybe the Pistons could have traded Drummond to some team and at least obtained a first round pick or maybe 2 2nd round picks. Again I think you were right when saying must likely Piston management wanted but could not get the green light from Mr. Gores who had a special relationship with AD throughout his stay in Detroit. I am surprised that there is still considerable talk about AD when we all know that it is going to take several years and a lot of luck for the Pistons to complete a real re build. AD would provide the Pistons will a few more wins next season but we must remember this fact. I cannot forget the playoffs between the Pistons and the Bucks two years ago. When an opposing team creates a game plan to defeat your team by targeting one player in your team's starting lineup then you know you have real problems moving forward trying to get better. This is especially true when that player being targeted for being the weak link in the team is a player making over $20 mil a year. The Bucks destroyed the Pistons in 4 straight games by going straight at AD in everyday possible when AD was on defense. He was late getting out on his assigned man who was drilling 3 point shots. He made the wrong decisions in the paint as to when he should switch on the pick and roll plays and the list goes on and on how how well the Bucks coaching staff and their players knew so much about AD's lack of a high basketball IQ on the defensive end. Effort also was in question but when you get beat so badly, you get embarrassed and lose your mojo quickly. Remember how much time AD spent on the bench? Well every GM in the NBA was watching that series and perhaps many teams were interested in signing AD before he played in that series. That was a real killer for AD I think. Andre did improve the following year on defense but he was borderline average to below average for a guy who wants to make big money. The Pistons must have tried hard to get more for Drummond but that was just not in the cards. Timing was the key as you stated as to when the Pistons should have made their move regarding making a trade. And now that that playoff series is history it is clear that Andre Drummond's value was the highest before the Pistons - Bucks series than at any time after.

Now on to Blake Griffin and the question as to if the Pistons should trade him if there is a season next year. I say that is a no brainer. Blake has had all of last season off healing his leg and other parts of his body. I could see a team taking a gamble on him if the Pistons would agree to kick in some money to make it work because I doubt any team would want to take on that entire contract amount. It would be in the Pistons best interest to agree to pay part of his contract if that is legal. I do not think Blake wants to play on a re building team. But if no trade can take place, there is one good thing about Blake Griffin. He plays hard and will be a good influence on the younger players. He is a good guy who is not a slacker in any shape or form.

I still believe the Pistons should trade their 1st round pick and try to get 2 first rounders or 1 first round pick and 2 second round picks. This draft is a crap shoot at the top positions in this draft. No player really stands out to me. The players listed in the top 6 appear to be no better than the players listed below them. The Pistons need to be smart again and find those hard nosed team orientated players who only care about winning. Too many hot dogs have ruined the Detroit Pistons in recent years who play for stats not wins. I would love to see Detroit get 3 picks in this draft even if 2 of them are in the 2nd round. Draft with TEAM in mind. Find players who have been part of a winning program.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparma Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:16 pm

I'm pretty sure the Pistons mishandled Drummond, but it's not so clear what the right way would have been.

There's a case to be made that w/o the Blake trade, and with a health Reggie J, they would have been on the right track. Not so sure, skeptical as I am about Reggie J. on his best day.

I developed a performance/ pay ratio last season that resulted in me thinking that 22.5 mil was about the break even point. That strikes me as high now because I expect numbers to be down and because Wood did so darned well with Drummond gone.

I agree that Drummond helped do himself in. What comes to mind is an interview in which Reggie J speaks answers into Drummond's ear, who speaks them. Made me wonder how much of a fool I was for putting so much psychic energy in those guys. For one reason or another, Drummond wasn't much of a draw in Detroit, and that's even more true for Reggie. That had to have played a role, at least with the team being mediocre year after year.

Early last year, I wouldn't have seen his long-term contract coming in below 20 mil per, but at this point I could believe it. It only takes one though, as we're often told.

Let's say the FO figured out two years ago they wouldn't resign him for more than 20 mil +. They should have gotten the best sense they could if he'd go for that (probably not given the stuff you've cited). Deal him at that point, and I'm pretty sure you get a good 1st round pick in advance. Maybe the wishy-washiness that resulted in a disastrous trade came from the FO being clear about what they wanted to do, but the owner being reluctant to let Drummond go, hoping to work out a deal.

BallinD wrote:Sparma, I'm on record among those who agree Dre was mishandled and could have been the right multiyear star with the right scheme and coach and effort.  As well, Dre was known for brain farts, checking out with a pout, and admittedly elbowing teamates with the temerity to challenge him for a rebound.  

He likely also brain farted himself into a rearguard action that resulted in a steep loss of value.  

Rumors&Innuendo: By declaring jubilantly with a wide grin during preseason that he would definitely opt out of his 19-20 contract and become a free agent meant that maybe some teams who might have traded for him with a belief they could re-sign him at a more reasonable price point became more reluctant.  This idea that he was perhaps worth less than $20M began to circulate as soon as he indicated he would opt out (Low market value then forced him to declare he would opt in to the Cavs).  His perceived value as a non-shooting big, an average rim protector but elite rebounder apparently did not translate at the $25 M plus price point, but is possible at a reasonable $15M.

It will be interesting to find out where his next (long term) contract falls, and there's plenty of room for debate about the appropriate $$ value.

a) the Pistons did a terrible job of using his 3-7 years as part of building a strong core

and

b) the F.O. got a terrible return in trade for one of the greatest rebounders ever.  If they were going to trade him, they should have done so earlier or later to get a decent return.

Andre's Piston career couldn't have been handled much worse.  He represents a wasted opportunity.

Murph wrote:I use to think Luke Kennard was a solid pick.  Sure, we should have taken Donovan Mitchell, but I thought Kennard was developing nicely.  Now, I’m not so sure.

As the years go on and Kennsrd  continues to get hurt year after year, he is becoming more of a disappointment.   It’s becoming obvious that we should have taken not only Mitchell, but a few others who are becoming league starts also, such as Bam Adenayo, Jarrett Allen, Johns Collins  and OG Anunoby.  

I mean Kennard isn’t even to best young guard on the Pistons.  That distinction goes to Brown.

Sparma,...you know who fits your description of a 3-7 year All Star player?   One who’s salary we dumped for nothing?   Yup...Drummond.  
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty It's time for some respect to come to Detroit

Post  deusXango Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Day after day the national media seems to be pushing LaMelo Ball to New York. No matter what the Mock Drafts say, Ball always end up in New York. This is beginning to smell. I'd think Cole Anthony would be New York's pick, if he was all that, plus he's a guard. Maybe it's because he hasn't broke into the top ten in a coons age.

With Ball being gifted to New York, Killian Hayes has been the pick assigned to Detroit; they both are in need of top tier PG play and Ball & Hayes are rated 1 and 2. The latest Mock naturally had Ball going to New York but, the Pistons with the highest lottery hopes in the last couple decades are slotted to draft Cole Anthony! Cole Anthony!!! That'd be Rodney Stuckey 2.0! The only redeeming factor is with Detroit drafting Cole, players like Okongwu, Toppin, Hayes, and Lewis Jr., are left on the board...that suggests to me an idiot wrote that Mock Draft.

That Ill timed and demeaning trade of Drummond has got to have long range negative effect on this franchise and it's going to take all of Weaver's expertise to redeem Stefanski major blunder. This, I believe, is why Cole Anthony is being thrown at Detroit; a 6' 3" combo guard who doesn't have elite PG skills nor does he possess top tier 3 & D size, defensive ability, and dead eye shooting skills, in a draft loaded with that type player. Devin Vassell, Aaron Nesmith, and this is overlooking the Pistons real need, Killian Hayes and Tyrese Haliburton. Perhaps I'm panicking but, Detroit only has one pick in this draft, so far. We're going to spend it on Cole Anthony? That'll get Detroit some respect. Shocked

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Big Man Blues

Post  BallinD Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Sparma, I'm on record among those who agree Dre was mishandled and could have been the right multiyear star with the right scheme and coach and effort.  As well, Dre was known for brain farts, checking out with a pout, and admittedly elbowing teamates with the temerity to challenge him for a rebound.  

and

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparma Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Incredibly, that guy's going into his 9th season in '20-'21.

and

b) the F.O. got a terrible return in trade for one of the greatest rebounders ever. If they were going to trade him, they should have done so earlier or later to get a decent return.

Andre's Piston career couldn't have been handled much worse. He represents a wasted opportunity.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Kennard

Post  Murph Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:01 am

I use to think Luke Kennard was a solid pick. Sure, we should have taken Donovan Mitchell, but I thought Kennard was developing nicely. Now, I’m not so sure.

As the years go on and Kennsrd continues to get hurt year after year, he is becoming more of a disappointment. It’s becoming obvious that we should have taken not only Mitchell, but a few others who are becoming league starts also, such as Bam Adenayo, Jarrett Allen, Johns Collins and OG Anunoby.

I mean Kennard isn’t even to best young guard on the Pistons. That distinction goes to Brown.

Sparma,...you know who fits your description of a 3-7 year All Star player? One who’s salary we dumped for nothing? Yup...Drummond.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty BallinD/ young core

Post  Sparma Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 am

Good post BallinD, again.

I find myself caring less about sports, and about the Pistons specifically, too. Sometimes absence makes the heart grow more indifferent, I guess.

Also in response to Deus: my sense is that picks 4-9 are difficult to differentiate in quality this year. If one player really jumped out other than a PG, go for him. Otherwise, this seems like a really good year to go for a PG in that range, likely Hayes of Haliburton, with Ball likely gone already.

I favor traditional PGs too, and maybe Hayes is that. Once I got a clear sense of Brandon Knight's style of PGing, I really disliked it. At his best, Reggie J operated at a higher, near All Star level, but I still didn't care for his PGing. I'm one of the last to become convinced that the non-shooting big a la Drummond has heavily diminished value in today's NBA, but I'm still holding out for the pass first/ savvy leader PG.

Concerning the young core: listening to a bio on Belichick yesterday, the author said that he had such a clear plan going into Cleveland. Even though he failed there the plan strikes me as good: planning around (near) All-Pro players from year 3-year 7. Galloway would be in that category for the Lions, and maybe Ragnow too. That's something at least.

With the Pistons: zero. Closest we come is in claiming that in the little bit that Kennard played this year he was at near All Star level. Well, wait. Checking his stats, his PER of 14.42 is just about exactly at league average. I remain convinced he can become a really valuable contributor. But (near) All Star? In short, we have nothing like the core of outstanding yr 3-7 players Belichick once said a (football) team should build around.

Maybe BB or Sekou become (near) All Stars? Maybe this year's pick, or next years?

Grasping at straws for now.

BallinD wrote:The Dog Days of the NBA have me scratching my head and more, wondering do I still care as much.  It is a strange time now with this Plandemic and the shifting of the grounds under our collective feet.  I like Okongwu, I just have a strong hankering for a PG, (Point God).  I will be the outlier, as I already am on many Piston topics.  I want a "real" point guard because I love the dominant impact on the game, ala Zeke and Big Shot, especially now that the NBA has legislated down the dominant impact of defense and upped the quotient for dynamism on offense.  

It seems to me our dearth of winning with Stuckey, Weggie, et al running the show, trying to build around Dre (a NO-GO ITEM IMHO) accompanied by years of mediocrity calls for a rethinking as well as a "restoring" according to Weaver.  A young, budding point guard should be the tip of the spear, IMO.

My Simple Heresy:

1.Get an identity. Restore the Warrior Spirit, the gritty, cocky, junkyard dog mentality teams hate to play against. (team culture, leadership players' character.)  You draft the person not just the player.

2. Go for speed and fun and defense, not the other way around Casey.  Defense first will never win us another championship in this league.  A fast, gritty, talented point guard, (Kira Lewis?) attacking the paint, pushing the ball up the court creating a helter skelter and a Wood/Sekou dunk or Kennard/Svi splash should be our MO during the Restore era.  Push the ball effectively yo.

3. No more grizzled or ungrizzled vets, we have exemplary and effective leaders with Pistons DNA in Blake and Rose, Do Not acquire any more vets.  Acquire young, promising misfits 2-3 yrs in league, with speed, athleticism and starvation hunger for a title.  Of course we might have to take on a few bad, aged player contracts, for picks or young prospects.

4. Rinse Wash Repeat.  Keep Blake, Kennard, Bruce, Sekou.  Trade Rose at the deaedline for pick or Young Dawg!

deusXango wrote:I realize the Pistons badly need a PG to lead and build around, but I also know that me being enamored with Okongwu, has a lot of head scratching going on. I have 3 things to say; Draymond Green, Bam Adebayo, and Montrezl Harrell. The advancement of the NBA's game is more than a hoisted three point shot, it's a highly skilled, monster of a C/PF who plays hellacious defense. The day of the plodding big man is over; the day of the goon/enforcer PF is done. Skill, basketball I.Q., energy, strength, and capable of solid team play, that's the big man of today. That's Okongwu. I'm not out here on a limb, all alone, has anyone noticed that he's consistently been rated in the top ten everywhere, all off-season? It's going to be hard for me to have any faith in Stefanski judgement after that premature trade of Drummond for nothing; Drummond was/is a top ten draft piece, no matter what Don, says! This guy plays Brown type defense (turned up a notch) and he's 6' 9" 245lbs., a perfect compliment for Wood.

For all you basketball maven's who want to play contract over hard-nosed play; remember when Bill Laimbeer came to Detroit? He came with a high-priced big named Kenny Carr, but Chuck Daly, chose to start Laimbeer who was making half what Carr was earning. The rest is history. Why did I bring this up? I'm the knucklehead that think Griffin days as a starter are over and the team is better off with him teaching a young big while dominating from the bench. His minutes should be managed like Casey managed Rose's minutes...he's too valuable a player to linger on I.R.. The bench play of a healthy Griffin, Rose, with the defensive tenacity of Brown does something to me inside (something good!).
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty A New Begining

Post  BallinD Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:30 am

The Dog Days of the NBA have me scratching my head and more, wondering do I still care as much.  It is a strange time now with this Plandemic and the shifting of the grounds under our collective feet.  I like Okongwu, I just have a strong hankering for a PG, (Point God).  I will be the outlier, as I already am on many Piston topics.  I want a "real" point guard because I love the dominant impact on the game, ala Zeke and Big Shot, especially now that the NBA has legislated down the dominant impact of defense and upped the quotient for dynamism on offense.  

It seems to me our dearth of winning with Stuckey, Weggie, et al running the show, trying to build around Dre (a NO-GO ITEM IMHO) accompanied by years of mediocrity calls for a rethinking as well as a "restoring" according to Weaver.  A young, budding point guard should be the tip of the spear, IMO.

My Simple Heresy:

1.Get an identity. Restore the Warrior Spirit, the gritty, cocky, junkyard dog mentality teams hate to play against. (team culture, leadership players' character.)  You draft the person not just the player.

2. Go for speed and fun and defense, not the other way around Casey.  Defense first will never win us another championship in this league.  A fast, gritty, talented point guard, (Kira Lewis?) attacking the paint, pushing the ball up the court creating a helter skelter and a Wood/Sekou dunk or Kennard/Svi splash should be our MO during the Restore era.  Push the ball effectively yo.

3. No more grizzled or ungrizzled vets, we have exemplary and effective leaders with Pistons DNA in Blake and Rose, Do Not acquire any more vets.  Acquire young, promising misfits 2-3 yrs in league, with speed, athleticism and starvation hunger for a title.  Of course we might have to take on a few bad, aged player contracts, for picks or young prospects.

4. Rinse Wash Repeat.  Keep Blake, Kennard, Bruce, Sekou.  Trade Rose at the deaedline for pick or Young Dawg!

deusXango wrote:I realize the Pistons badly need a PG to lead and build around, but I also know that me being enamored with Okongwu, has a lot of head scratching going on. I have 3 things to say; Draymond Green, Bam Adebayo, and Montrezl Harrell. The advancement of the NBA's game is more than a hoisted three point shot, it's a highly skilled, monster of a C/PF who plays hellacious defense. The day of the plodding big man is over; the day of the goon/enforcer PF is done. Skill, basketball I.Q., energy, strength, and capable of solid team play, that's the big man of today. That's Okongwu. I'm not out here on a limb, all alone, has anyone noticed that he's consistently been rated in the top ten everywhere, all off-season? It's going to be hard for me to have any faith in Stefanski judgement after that premature trade of Drummond for nothing; Drummond was/is a top ten draft piece, no matter what Don, says! This guy plays Brown type defense (turned up a notch) and he's 6' 9" 245lbs., a perfect compliment for Wood.

For all you basketball maven's who want to play contract over hard-nosed play; remember when Bill Laimbeer came to Detroit? He came with a high-priced big named Kenny Carr, but Chuck Daly, chose to start Laimbeer who was making half what Carr was earning. The rest is history. Why did I bring this up? I'm the knucklehead that think Griffin days as a starter are over and the team is better off with him teaching a young big while dominating from the bench. His minutes should be managed like Casey managed Rose's minutes...he's too valuable a player to linger on I.R.. The bench play of a healthy Griffin, Rose, with the defensive tenacity of Brown does something to me inside (something good!).
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Lemme Explain Myself

Post  deusXango Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:55 am

I realize the Pistons badly need a PG to lead and build around, but I also know that me being enamored with Okongwu, has a lot of head scratching going on. I have 3 things to say; Draymond Green, Bam Adebayo, and Montrezl Harrell. The advancement of the NBA's game is more than a hoisted three point shot, it's a highly skilled, monster of a C/PF who plays hellacious defense. The day of the plodding big man is over; the day of the goon/enforcer PF is done. Skill, basketball I.Q., energy, strength, and capable of solid team play, that's the big man of today. That's Okongwu. I'm not out here on a limb, all alone, has anyone noticed that he's consistently been rated in the top ten everywhere, all off-season? It's going to be hard for me to have any faith in Stefanski judgement after that premature trade of Drummond for nothing; Drummond was/is a top ten draft piece, no matter what Don, says! This guy plays Brown type defense (turned up a notch) and he's 6' 9" 245lbs., a perfect compliment for Wood.

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Galloway/ Don

Post  Sparma Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 pm

Looks like you're right about Galloway, Don. My bad.

I do see a 2020 Forbes headline proclaiming that we need to prioritize resigning him, but we don't need to worry about that yet!

cool breeze wrote:
Sparma wrote:Along with Deus, I'm going to dream.  I hope there's a good dose of realism to this dream.

The team wins fewer than 30 games, putting themselves in a good spot for the strong 2021 draft.

Blake plays very little early on, but finishes strong, putting him in position to be traded during his contract expiring year, 21-22.

Rose plays at least as well as last year (he could shoot better) and even though the team's playing poor, he's traded for a low 1st or a high second.

Bruce Brown continues his improvement, both as a distance shooter and as a finisher at the rim.  He's slotted to be a long-term backup PG.

Khyrie Thomas is in good health, and shows flashes of why he was drafted above BB.

Both Kennard and Svi excel, and the team trades Kennard for what looks will be a lottery pick.

Sekou gets a decent amount of playing time, and shows improvement and more consistent flashes.

Galloway shoots well and shows good leadership on a weak team, and is traded for a second rounder.

The PG we've drafted (Hayes or Haliburton) shows every indication of being a fixture for a decade, even if along with rookie foibles.

Christian Wood, on his new four year, 48 mil, contract, continues his impressive improvement.

After playing some vets heavily in a move that leads to several trades, Dwayne Casey sees that his final act is to shepherd the youth movement.  He's known as a player friendly coach, fostering youngsters in spite of their mistakes.  Also, he hires a brilliant bench coach (a la Nurse) to diversify the team's sets.

The team takes on a bad contract from a contending team eyeing a FA, but lands a late first in the process.

In all, they've added two or three first rounders, and one or two second rounders.

Impressed by the plan he sees unfolding, Tom Gores relieves Troy Weaver of pressure to be competitive straightaway, and supports a full rebuild.

Acquiring the #4 pick in the 2021 draft, Detroit acquires a promising wing.  

They win 30 games in 2021-'22, but a real buzz starts in town about the promising direction of the team.  

First off if there can be no high school sports, than everyone should insist that no NBA games should be played this season. Let Labron James leave the USA and live in China so he can collect his billion dollars next year as we know he really needs the money. It is beyond tragic that adults who do not have children playing sports care less about high school sports than the NBA or other professional sports where the players are getting paid huge amounts of money. The NBA front office walks on their tip toes trying to avoid any controversy regarding their close relationship with China and Nike.

With that said, I was wondering why you mentioned Galloway? Isn't his contract finished? Don't tell me that Casey convinced management to give him another contract. I have not been paying attention to the NBA lately and hope that is not the case. Maybe you are a sly fox Sparma and want the Pistons to keep Galloway so as to make sure the Piston's record is bad enough to secure a high pick in the 2021 draft and beyond.

I have a feeling that if there is a NBA season then Bruce Brown will be the best player on the team. He is a hard worker and as Murph pointed out is far and away the best defender on the team. He has a decent basketball IQ and should have a great season. Yet maybe Casey will bench him because I believe it has been Casey who has insisted on acquiring players who can shoot the 3 ball while ignoring the need for a stronger defense. He talks about his desire to improve the defense but if he really cared then he would not want Galloway playing perimeter defense. Our first round pick last summer was placed on the court as a starter for a lot of games and he never earned a starting job. Sekou played because he was the number 1 pick and perhaps because management had finally seen the light and wanted the Pistons to finish with a weak record for draft purposes. Maybe our pick learned something from that experience but nobody should count on a huge jump in his performance in the near future.

Management needs to trade Rose for a first round draft pick or 2 second round picks before this next draft. Anyone else they can trade for picks should be the plan as everyone on the team is very average compared to the playoff caliber players on other teams.I like Kennard but can he actually make it through an entire season without sustaining an injury that requires a long rehab? If the Pistons can make a good deal for him, then do it. I would not spend big money on Wood for sure either. Keep the payroll down and acquire new talent and if the Pistons do a good job making the right draft picks and have coaches to fit a developing team, then I will get excited. But the NBA has acquired way too much political baggage in my humble opinion. I think they have lost a lot of fans. I have a lot of younger relatives who live in Michigan as my wife grew up with 7 other siblings. On my last visit to a family birthday party in Michigan I asked the question as to how many of them follow the Detroit Pistons. Only 1 relative said that they had occasionally watched Piston games but always lost interest and never sad through an entire Piston game. I used to record and watch every Piston game until last year. That is when I ended my PASS subscription. I will wait until I know management is really serious about building a winning program and will check in on this site to get info from you experts. I really enjoy all of your comments. It is great that you care. But do the modern players actually care about us as fans? In fact does this owner care about what fans think? I wonder about these things. I know high school players appreciate support when people come out to see them play their individual sport. Please open the public schools or cut the funding for the schools and go private. I talked to an old man a few days ago who had been an incredible athlete in 4 sports in high school and ran track for 4 years in college. He started school and went through the 7th grade in a 2 room country school in Michigan. He ended up being a teacher and did a research project in his retirement and found that 80% of the people who attended the country school ended up graduating from college.Tax payers provide a lot of money to public schools in today's world while those old country schools where they hired 2 teaches to teach multiple grades did something right on an extremely low budget. No time for the teachers to bring up politics in the classroom perhaps. Murph and others - can you share anything about your kids personal view regarding the quality of education they have received in this era of history?  
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Sparma wrote:Along with Deus, I'm going to dream.  I hope there's a good dose of realism to this dream.

The team wins fewer than 30 games, putting themselves in a good spot for the strong 2021 draft.

Blake plays very little early on, but finishes strong, putting him in position to be traded during his contract expiring year, 21-22.

Rose plays at least as well as last year (he could shoot better) and even though the team's playing poor, he's traded for a low 1st or a high second.

Bruce Brown continues his improvement, both as a distance shooter and as a finisher at the rim.  He's slotted to be a long-term backup PG.

Khyrie Thomas is in good health, and shows flashes of why he was drafted above BB.

Both Kennard and Svi excel, and the team trades Kennard for what looks will be a lottery pick.

Sekou gets a decent amount of playing time, and shows improvement and more consistent flashes.

Galloway shoots well and shows good leadership on a weak team, and is traded for a second rounder.

The PG we've drafted (Hayes or Haliburton) shows every indication of being a fixture for a decade, even if along with rookie foibles.

Christian Wood, on his new four year, 48 mil, contract, continues his impressive improvement.

After playing some vets heavily in a move that leads to several trades, Dwayne Casey sees that his final act is to shepherd the youth movement.  He's known as a player friendly coach, fostering youngsters in spite of their mistakes.  Also, he hires a brilliant bench coach (a la Nurse) to diversify the team's sets.

The team takes on a bad contract from a contending team eyeing a FA, but lands a late first in the process.

In all, they've added two or three first rounders, and one or two second rounders.

Impressed by the plan he sees unfolding, Tom Gores relieves Troy Weaver of pressure to be competitive straightaway, and supports a full rebuild.

They win 30 games in 2021-'22, but a real buzz starts in town about the promising direction of the team.  

First off if there can be no high school sports, than everyone should insist that no NBA games should be played this season. Let Labron James leave the USA and live in China so he can collect his billion dollars next year as we know he really needs the money. It is beyond tragic that adults who do not have children playing sports care less about high school sports than the NBA or other professional sports where the players are getting paid huge amounts of money. The NBA front office walks on their tip toes trying to avoid any controversy regarding their close relationship with China and Nike.

With that said, I was wondering why you mentioned Galloway? Isn't his contract finished? Don't tell me that Casey convinced management to give him another contract. I have not been paying attention to the NBA lately and hope that is not the case. Maybe you are a sly fox Sparma and want the Pistons to keep Galloway so as to make sure the Piston's record is bad enough to secure a high pick in the 2021 draft and beyond.

I have a feeling that if there is a NBA season then Bruce Brown will be the best player on the team. He is a hard worker and as Murph pointed out is far and away the best defender on the team. He has a decent basketball IQ and should have a great season. Yet maybe Casey will bench him because I believe it has been Casey who has insisted on acquiring players who can shoot the 3 ball while ignoring the need for a stronger defense. He talks about his desire to improve the defense but if he really cared then he would not want Galloway playing perimeter defense. Our first round pick last summer was placed on the court as a starter for a lot of games and he never earned a starting job. Sekou played because he was the number 1 pick and perhaps because management had finally seen the light and wanted the Pistons to finish with a weak record for draft purposes. Maybe our pick learned something from that experience but nobody should count on a huge jump in his performance in the near future.

Management needs to trade Rose for a first round draft pick or 2 second round picks before this next draft. Anyone else they can trade for picks should be the plan as everyone on the team is very average compared to the playoff caliber players on other teams.I like Kennard but can he actually make it through an entire season without sustaining an injury that requires a long rehab? If the Pistons can make a good deal for him, then do it. I would not spend big money on Wood for sure either. Keep the payroll down and acquire new talent and if the Pistons do a good job making the right draft picks and have coaches to fit a developing team, then I will get excited. But the NBA has acquired way too much political baggage in my humble opinion. I think they have lost a lot of fans. I have a lot of younger relatives who live in Michigan as my wife grew up with 7 other siblings. On my last visit to a family birthday party in Michigan I asked the question as to how many of them follow the Detroit Pistons. Only 1 relative said that they had occasionally watched Piston games but always lost interest and never sad through an entire Piston game. I used to record and watch every Piston game until last year. That is when I ended my PASS subscription. I will wait until I know management is really serious about building a winning program and will check in on this site to get info from you experts. I really enjoy all of your comments. It is great that you care. But do the modern players actually care about us as fans? In fact does this owner care about what fans think? I wonder about these things. I know high school players appreciate support when people come out to see them play their individual sport. Please open the public schools or cut the funding for the schools and go private. I talked to an old man a few days ago who had been an incredible athlete in 4 sports in high school and ran track for 4 years in college. He started school and went through the 7th grade in a 2 room country school in Michigan. He ended up being a teacher and did a research project in his retirement and found that 80% of the people who attended the country school ended up graduating from college.Tax payers provide a lot of money to public schools in today's world while those old country schools where they hired 2 teaches to teach multiple grades did something right on an extremely low budget. No time for the teachers to bring up politics in the classroom perhaps. Murph and others - can you share anything about your kids personal view regarding the quality of education they have received in this era of history?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Dream a little dream #2

Post  deusXango Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:01 pm

Great dream Sparma! That's what I'm talking about; real and practical from top to bottom. If I may steal your thunder (no pun intended) Weaver drafts Killian Hayes, re-sign Christian Wood, and spending some of that CAP money on Onyeka Okongwu. Get her done Mr. Weaver. I envision Wood and Okongwu growing into something special. Kennard and Hayes would be a helluva backcourt. We'll surprise the league with our wing players; Doumbouya, Mykhailiuk, and King...combined contracts don't total what Snell is stealing from the Pistons.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Dream Season

Post  Sparma Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:06 am

Along with Deus, I'm going to dream. I hope there's a good dose of realism to this dream.

Bruce Brown continues his improvement, both as a distance shooter and as a finisher at the rim. He's slotted to be a long-term backup PG.

After playing some vets heavily in a move that leads to several trades, Dwayne Casey sees that his final act is to shepherd the youth movement. He's known as a player friendly coach, fostering youngsters in spite of their mistakes. Also, he hires a brilliant bench coach (a la Nurse) to diversify the team's sets.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty More of the Same

Post  Murph Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:41 am

The reason I left Kennard out of the starting lineup in favor of Brown, is because Brown is the best defender on the team, and the only potential starter who is a plus defender.

I guess you could start Kennard in place of Snell in a 3 guard offense.  Kennard is in no way a SF, but then again neither is Snell.  That would give us a rotation that looks something like this:

Rose, Hayes/Halliburton
Brown, Kennard, Thomas
Kennard, Snell, Svi
Griffin, Doumbouya
Wood, Patton

If everyone stayed healthy, we could probably make the 6th-8th seed again, while we gave the youngster some minutes.  dance

If Griffin got hurt again, we would be really bad.  Then we would move up in the 2021 draft, and we could trade Rose for a pick or a young asset.

Have no fear, DX.  You won't have to obsess about Trump much longer.  You can rest easy with the stupid, senile, corrupt, perverted, swamp creature Biden, and his socialist VP.    pom pom

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 39 Empty Mourning A Lost Opportunity

Post  deusXango Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:46 pm

The constant belittling and minimization of Drummonds uniquely astounding accomplishments lowered his value outside of Detroit; there's no reason the Pistons couldn't have asked for and received Cleveland's first round pick this year (top 3 protected). Any other NBA team with Drummonds rights would've received Henson, Knight, and the Cavs first. Those type of deals are done everyday in the NBA by competitive teams. Then there's New York also...they're good for searching for the red card.

What mystifies me is Drummond was drafted by Detroit before the acquisition of Jackson, established himself in the history books (what does Reggie hold in our history?), improved his game and body year after year (Reggie's absence killed Detroit's chances at success year after year), but some fans loved Weggie more than Drummond because of the way he ran the P & R (Bynum did it first with Drummond and did it better) and all things considered, we got more for Reggie, in passing, than Drummond. Drummond is a young starter and Reggie's starting days are over. I'd love to have Cleveland's first round pick! Stefanski seems to abhor multiple first round picks for some reason.

There're rumblings that a workable vaccine is on the horizon and currently being tested with positive results so far. I pray that it works so America's children won't be used as guinea pigs with school openings without a solution on hand; a failed talk show host, who knows more than doctors and scientists and a select group of supporters who says "let's pretend everything is normal." I don't want the children of Michigan, in particular, to be put in harms way (the weather changes after the school year begins around the Midwest; a closed, unsanitized, environment just won't work).
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next