Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+5
deusXango
BallinD
cool breeze
Murph
Sparma
9 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Draft a SF

Post  Murph Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:40 am

We don't need anymore shooting guards. We have SGs coming out of our ass. We don't need a center or PF either. And we can't get a good PG this late in the draft.

Take Okpala. Also, for whatever reason Rui Hachimura is falling on the draft boards. He would be an absolute steal, if he were to fall to us at 15.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty NBA Draft talk

Post  Phil-Good Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 am

I said I would come up with seven guys.

I only have 3 or 4 guys.

#1 is without question Nickeil Alexander-Walker. Clean cut, hard working, smart, loves his craft, good size, 21 years old,sky high basketball I.Q. Telling you Pistons fan. This is the man you want at 15 and we would be lucky to get him. No he not flashy, no he not going to be on baller TV. But this kid can play ball.

#2. Romeo Langford. Tuff kid. Great size. Natural god given ability. Not A shooter but A mid-range player. Needs to mature and develop. But this kid can play if the coach gives him A opportunity. Casey will not give him much of a shot his rookie year.

3. Sekou Doumbouya. Talent wise this kid is number 1. He does it all. No questions, this kid will turn out to be A solid NBA pro. Teams will wish they drafted this kid top 5. The Pistons will have no shot at this kid unless they make A trade.

If the Pistons were smart they would try and walk out of the draft with two of these kids. Sekou Doumbouya and Walker if it were up to me.
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty You can't teach extra effort - Livingston makes that extra effort

Post  cool breeze Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:07 pm

To me the outcome of the 2nd game of the Finals came down to a bench guy who is fundamentally sound and tired like all the players, instinctively taking that extra step towards the pass to take the ball away from Leonard. Leonard anticipates well and was ready to make another game deciding play but Livingston saved his team with that play. Iggi shot the ball from beyond the 3 point line with nobody guarding him with 5 seconds left on the shot clock and the game. Van Gundy was correct, the shot was taken way too soon but it went in so who can complain. WOW Golden State has done the impossible again. Now Thompson is down. Van Fleet is playing tight on Curry with The Raptors bringing back the Box and 1. I haven't seen that in a long time. Leave it to Nick Nurse to come up with something new. As players move through the playoffs and continue to survive, every minute is draining. One of my buddies that I run with was an exceptional basketball player in his day. He always says that if you get to even the conference championship series you body has had it. You legs are dead. Your mind is numb. Yet some players continue to function even though it feels like you have run 26 miles every other night. That is why I have to give a shout out to Livingston. Your coach teaches you in Jr High to always make the effort to step towards the pass not wait for the pass. How many NBA players do that? Not many but the winners do.

If you could sign 8 average players with solid NBA level skills, who play with extra effort, your chances of being on a winning team are really good. Too bad this owner and his front office never thought that was an important ingredient for success. Remember two years ago, when the Pistons basically gave up in the last half of the season. The effort was clearly not there. Opponents were getting 2nd 3rd and 4th chance opportunities when the Pistons were on defense. Piston players were shuffling back on defense instead of running hard. Nobody was diving for loose balls.

At least by bringing in Blake Griffin, some of the deadbeats who were around two seasons ago could see one teammate who did care enough to do something that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Now more Piston players are showing effort who wear the Piston uniform. To some of us it was shocking to actually see it happen. We had been so used to the opposite behavior. I would like to leave you with that positive thought. Yet two years ago our two leaders, AD and RJ were the leaders of dysfunction which is the opposite of those players who are fundamentally sound and always make the extra effort. But nevertheless some fans have easily forgotten those times and continue believe players can change.

Some of us are ready for a big change on how the payroll is used. We want to make sure that this owner doesn't hand out new contracts for players who have a history of not being fundamentally sound as well as not giving any extra effort on a regular basis that will not show up on their stats. Big money was spent foolishly on our starting center and point guard. We need replacements as soon as possible. I liked reading one poster's idea of moving Reggie Jackson to the Suns but by now everyone knows that Reggie is a chemistry killer when he plays point guard. He doesn't see the floor well so he plays one side too much which shows that he is not a play making type point guard. But put him out beyond the 3 point line for open looks and he can be more effective yet he cannot defend well and that might nix any interest from other NBA teams. Reggie will never get the Pistons a top draft pick unless Sarver(owner of the Suns) has another melt down like he did when he questioned the wisdom of Steve Kerr when he was once upon a time the Suns GM. Kerr quit and the rest is history. Sarver is another owner like Tom Gores who doesn't allow the people they hire to do their jobs without being micro managed. Perhaps in the owners mind, everyone should be micro managed except Andre Drummond. The owner believes that AD played great in that playoff series against the Bucks. He believes AD when he said that he got just too excited about everything and couldn't focus. Maybe AD could focus better if he was offered a mega contract to make AD a Piston for life. I will be extremely surprised if the owner ever agrees to trade AD even if it was Anthony Davis or Embid or the number one pick in the draft. So get ready for Bullock next season Piston fans. We better pray that some of the young kids and play so well in training camp that they beat out the high contract players. Yet Casey never plays the low contract players over high contract players. We better count on more dysfunction and a lot of minutes of watching Langston Galloway.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Trade Talk

Post  Phil-Good Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:43 am

The Pistons are saying SVI is A PG with major shooting ability. It's time to get this kid rolling and see what he can do. Call me crazy but Bruce Brown look like A baby Westbrook? I would like to see him get A shot at the starting PG.

I would like to see the other draft pick Khyri Thomas, get some major...major burn this summer and season. That kid showed me he is ready to play full time.

The Pistons would be smart to trade down in this draft and try to get two picks if possible. Expiring contracts are big but they are super big during the trade deadline. Everybody knows if it's tank time or go for it time.

Now here is two or three movie that I would strongly consider if I were Detroit. Bring back Stanley Johnson. Yes sir.. I would do it. On A minimum or as close to it as possible.

Also, STOP DRAFTING FOR NEED. DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!! CENTER, SG, POWER FORWARD! Stop looking to fill A need and draft the best available player!

Also, shop the market strong for young vets. Denver has two guys I like. Michael Porter with is bad back. And Mailk Beasley. These guys can play ball and will explode if given the opportunity. The Pistons need to shop the market for guys like this all day long!
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Idle thoughts

Post  deusXango Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:35 pm

The Suns are open to trading the #6 pick for a veteran PG....at least give them a call Big Ed about Reggie and #15. I'd be happy going into the season with Luke or Svi as our starting PG.

Why is management so infatuated with 6' 6" players, who are essentially SG's in todays NBA? Every SF candidate mentioned for the Pistons is 6' 6" or 6' 7". Svi is 6' 8" but issues have been raised about his arms length...I guess shooting, I.Q. and a diverse skillset doesn't matter cause he can't be a shot blocking rim protector. Think Kennard 2" taller.

Will Robinson III be let go and the money he's been stealing be used to resign Bullock? After all it's more than the Pistons have ever paid Bullock.

Can NBA contracts be bought out? If so, ain't it time to buy out Leuer and Galloway?! Please don't do another "stretch"....Josh Smith's "stretch" seems like it's 10 years old and still going on.

I'm eager to see what year two of the Griffin/Drummond pairing looks like...hell I'm eager to see what Brown and Luke look like next year and hoping we keep Thomas and Mykhailiuk, and not just to play in Grand Rapids!!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:19 am

BallinD wrote:Murph, you’re not really wishing a career-ending injury on an NBA player based on “I suspect,” Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Come on man, that’s beneath you.
Me, I’m thinking if we can trade your boy Dre Drum, we might can snag Cuz on the cheap in a show-n-prove contract.  WDYT?

OTOH man these playoffs have featured some of the best hoops in years, IMO.  The ball movement, defense and competitiveness by Toronto has been eye opening and the defense by both team has featured desperation driving excellence.

Nurse has proven himself ready for Prime Time, cause this is not all Kwahi.  Coralling Giannis and trapping Klay n Steph with adjustments shows why he surpassed Casey.  Geez.  I think a better coaching scheme could have given our team at least 5 more victories.

Why do I say that?  Well, he came in with a scheme of no plays and read n react, based on analytics and forward-thinking.  This, for a team with low bball IQ players particularly in Dre and Weggie, our ostensible PG, really a ball-dominant combo guard, and our gifted big man nevertheless who is slow to read and react.  That scheme might work on another team though.  It suits Blake, but he passes out for open threes—BRICK
and all Casey can say is “shots will fall.”

I thought a smart coach adapts his schemes and embellishments to his players... Read n React may not be the best way to go with the Stones.  It took Casey half a season to return to and run Dre n Weggie PnR, which helped boost/diversify the Moribund Blake Show.  Hoping he either demands more suitable players via trades and the draft or...makes some damn adjustments.  Square pegs don’t fit  in Round holes.

Ballin I am thankful that you continue to identify the real problems that hamper the Pistons from ever getting on the right track. Why can't the local media write as well as you do on this forum? I agree with everything you say here. Notice writers are actually still asking Andre Drummond's advise as to what the Pistons most need to improve. " The Pistons are in the hunt for a tall wing". Really how about hunting for a new starting center and point guard? With Blake recovering from knee surgery, how about an athletic talented power forward. What about the Pistons bench players who are supposed to bring that spark when the starters are caught slacking after losing their spirit from standing in place as either Blake, Ish or Reggie dribble the shot clock away. The head coach did no home work last summer to identify the type of roster he would be working with so why should we expect anything different next season?

Notice the announcers pointing out how shooters got open when they drilled jump shots in the Finals? The Pistons have nobody who can set a proper screen coming back. The aging ZaZa and Johnson were the only two players on the team who were competent with that skill. But of course Casey doesn't believe screening is important because he has eliminated the option of players developing a mid range game. Some of us talk about the hope that Luke can have a break out season next year. That cannot happen in Casey's dysfunctional system. I think Casey will rely on players like Galloway and Jackson even more next year. Piston fans have been starved from witnessing our team play high IQ basketball with effort. It is refreshing to see fantastic offensive play making in the playoffs this year with amazing player and ball movement and screening along with players who embrace giving max effort on defense. Anyone who is watching now should identify what is missing with our team but still there is this belief that the Pistons might be just one move away from the promise land. Just get that wing player. We have the best center in the NBA. Who can wish for more?

This coming draft is weak. We missed out last season thanks to the owner just throwing in that number one pick. Who wouldn't want to make a trade with the Pistons? The smart thing would be for the Pistons to take the best available player at any position because they are weak at every position in my opinion. And they have a weak coaching staff. There is no way Nick Nurse would have used the player combinations or the offensive system Casey used this past season. Get ready for another season that will feature a new pre game circle dance that will end with a reverse shimmy. the press with ponder the chances of AD making the All Star team. Jon Leuer will be the starting power forward by November as Blake will be too beat up to suit up by then. Jon will be in his contract year so there will be high expectations by the local media. Meanwhile every team that finished below the Pistons will have exciting players with fresh legs and sharper minds who will be hungry.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 am

Oracle wrote:
Don wrote:I really do not believe that AD has much trade value at all after what happened to him in the playoffs and those matchups with Embid and Davis.
Great, so stop talking about moving him and start figuring out how to win. BTW, Embiid can be annoying, but he's a very good player that I like for what he does on the court, talent wise. So I think Murph was speaking out of frustration, however, unless Embiid loses weight, he likely will be hurt by season end regularly.

Megatron has a problem with the LionsMegatron to Lions: If you want me back, give me my money back

If the Pistons cannot trade AD then move him to the bench where he belongs. The Pistons would have better team chemistry and have a overall higher basketball IQ. I combination of AD and BG will never work. But perhaps more important is not what AD does but the question of if Blake Griffin can even play basketball next season. Anyone know the latest news about Blake's recovery from surgery? This owner has the placed the Pistons in a pickle for many years to come in my opinion. He has two highly paid big men who should never play together on the same team. One can learn from the past. Tom Gores should learn from this experience where he went off on his own, did not listen to his staff and took on an insane contract, lost good rotation players and most important the Pistons number one pick in a strong draft. This coming draft is a weak draft.

I am not sure why you are focused on Embid's weight. I don't see him as over weight. But our slug franchise center is a prime example of a guy who might possibly improve as a defensive player if he did lose 25 to 35 pounds of fat. Embid can run the court fast. He also has a very competitive spirit which AD lacks. I really cannot believe that we are still having this conversation about Andre Drummond. If you get a chance, try to watch NBA TV this summer when they replay the Pistons-Bucks series. Granted the owner has stacked the team with the most inferior skill players the guard and small forward positions because of his dream union of AD and BG, but say what you want but the proof is in the game film and with the announcers comments. AD was one of the worst performers in the playoffs this season. He is the owner"s pet who can do no wrong. The head coach is a kiss ass exactly like Stan Van Gundy. What you want Mr. Owner? Feature AD a lot next season because Andre now has the baseline 6 foot hook shot. AD needs to build his stats up so the fans will approve of that mega contract I want to announce. Casey says, you got it I don't think anybody will remember his performance in the playoffs by now. Should I hire a new physical trainer to help Andre Loose weight? Hell no coach, AD needs to rest up. He has a lot of PR stuff we are involved with this summer.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Please Tell Me

Post  BallinD Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Murph, you’re not really wishing a career-ending injury on an NBA player based on “I suspect,” Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Come on man, that’s beneath you.
Me, I’m thinking if we can trade your boy Dre Drum, we might can snag Cuz on the cheap in a show-n-prove contract. WDYT?

OTOH man these playoffs have featured some of the best hoops in years, IMO. The ball movement, defense and competitiveness by Toronto has been eye opening and the defense by both team has featured desperation driving excellence.

Nurse has proven himself ready for Prime Time, cause this is not all Kwahi. Coralling Giannis and trapping Klay n Steph with adjustments shows why he surpassed Casey. Geez. I think a better coaching scheme could have given our team at least 5 more victories.

Why do I say that? Well, he came in with a scheme of no plays and read n react, based on analytics and forward-thinking. This, for a team with low bball IQ players particularly in Dre and Weggie, our ostensible PG, really a ball-dominant combo guard, and our gifted big man nevertheless who is slow to read and react. That scheme might work on another team though. It suits Blake, but he passes out for open threes—BRICK
and all Casey can say is “shots will fall.”

I thought a smart coach adapts his schemes and embellishments to his players... Read n React may not be the best way to go with the Stones. It took Casey half a season to return to and run Dre n Weggie PnR, which helped boost/diversify the Moribund Blake Show. Hoping he either demands more suitable players via trades and the draft or...makes some damn adjustments. Square pegs don’t fit in Round holes.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty F*** Embiid

Post  Murph Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am

I suspect Embiid is a lot like D-Cuz.  You know how Sacramento actually improved once Cousins left?  And you know how Golden State actually improved once Cousins reinjured his achilles?  D-Cuz is all about D-Cuz.  He's a miserable teammate.  I suspect Embiid is the same way.

Let me put it this way.  If Drummond were surrounded by Simmons, Reddick, Butler and Harris, instead of RJ, Brown, Ellington and Maker in the playoffs, the Pistons would have most likely been a higher seed and made the 2nd round also.

I can't wait for Embidd to blow out his knee once and for all.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty FUNNY!

Post  Phil-Good Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 am

Oracle wrote:
Phillip wrote:"Would it be possible for Embiid to do that to Drummond in the playoffs? Hell no!" Hell NO? Hell NO? How about hell YES! So you believe that Drummonds would do better in A playoff atmosphere vs A player that's A thousand GENERATIONS better and smarter? Embiid is the player that Drummonds wish he was! 

I could keep going but I will not. Listen. Drummonds can get better. And my Di####K could grown 8 more inches and I could become A MEGA porn star.
Drummond:
No, I don't think Drummond could get good enough any time soon to be able to handle Embiid one on one.

My point is that defense is a team effort, and it WAS a coaching decision to play him one on one in the regular season. No coach in his right mind would let that happen in the playoffs, Embiid could be forced into a bad shot or forced to give up the ball and let someone else beat us.

Draft: I'm looking forward to your 7 draft picks, should be interesting.

Your Johnson: Since I'm back in Los Angeles, if you do manage to grow your Johnson 8 more inches, I got first dibs on being your agent. Trust me, we can clean up, I'll make you a star  lol lol lol

Oracle. I stay far away from LA as possible... lol lol lol
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Don & Megatron

Post  Oracle Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Don wrote:I really do not believe that AD has much trade value at all after what happened to him in the playoffs and those matchups with Embid and Davis.
Great, so stop talking about moving him and start figuring out how to win. BTW, Embiid can be annoying, but he's a very good player that I like for what he does on the court, talent wise. So I think Murph was speaking out of frustration, however, unless Embiid loses weight, he likely will be hurt by season end regularly.

Megatron has a problem with the LionsMegatron to Lions: If you want me back, give me my money back
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Oracle wrote:
Phillip wrote:"Would it be possible for Embiid to do that to Drummond in the playoffs? Hell no!" Hell NO? Hell NO? How about hell YES! So you believe that Drummonds would do better in A playoff atmosphere vs A player that's A thousand GENERATIONS better and smarter? Embiid is the player that Drummonds wish he was! 

I could keep going but I will not. Listen. Drummonds can get better. And my Di####K could grown 8 more inches and I could become A MEGA porn star.
Drummond:
No, I don't think Drummond could get good enough any time soon to be able to handle Embiid one on one.

My point is that defense is a team effort, and it WAS a coaching decision to play him one on one in the regular season. No coach in his right mind would let that happen in the playoffs, Embiid could be forced into a bad shot or forced to give up the ball and let someone else beat us.

Your Johnson: Since I'm back in Los Angeles, if you do manage to grow your Johnson 8 more inches, I got first dibs on being your agent. Trust me, we can clean up, I'll make you a star  lol lol lol

Funny post Phil.

Oracle I was wondering which player you would select to defend Embid if it was not Drummond? I suggested Blake in my response to Murph's post. But after writing it I wanted to take it back because I couldn't figure out who Andre Drummond could match up with. He can't guard power forwards. Lopez ran circles around AD mentally and physically in every game against the Bucks. You would think if AD had any brains at all he would be working with coaches night and day until training camp to get his brain functioning quicker, learn how to defend and work on losing that 25 to 35 extra pounds he is carrying. The owner is boxed in. He has bet the farm on Andre and it hasn't turned out well unless he gets his kicks out of reading stats. While we might all be guessing exactly what kind of player AD might be next season, why not consider if there might be at least one team who would gamble on AD and move him over this summer. Perhaps we could at least get a 2nd round pick and a reliable defensive minded young center project and future picks. I really do not believe that AD has much trade value at all after what happened to him in the playoffs and those matchups with Embid and Davis.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Murph wrote:F*** Embiid.  He's managed to win exactly one more playoff series than Drummond.  And he did it with the help of Ben Simmons and Jimmy Butler, two players who are way better than any Piston that surrounded Drummond in the playoffs.

I hope Embiid continues to get injured every year of his career.

Murph why would you wish that on anyone? You must be kidding and don't really mean that. I really do not know Embid or Drummond. But I wonder what is going to happen when Drummond and Embid match up again next season. Embid makes it personal with AD and tries to embarrass our starting center anytime is can do it and he manages to do it often until AD gets in foul trouble. Philly has isolation plays where it seems that Embid can beat AD anyway he wants to much like Anthony Davis has done in every matchup that I have witnessed.

I wonder why you brought up the comparison relating to playoff victories. Andre was humiliated by the Bucks. Murph the Bucks coaching staff targeted Andre as the weakest link in the Piston defense. Lopez made a fool out of him. You cannot teach players to play smart. You cannot teach players to be fully engaged meeting effort with effort. How many times did Billups point out how the Bucks were scoring and who the player was who had screwed up the defensive rotation? My best guess relating to next season's matchups with Philly is that Casey will have Blake defend Embid and avoid further embarrassment with our franchise player. That is if Blake is healthy and can actually play next season and that is not a for sure thing.

Common sense tells me that the Pistons will not make the playoffs next season. The money has been invested in three big men if you include Leuer. Knowing how the NBA is competing now where guards dominate and small forwards have a big role, The Pistons will be hard pressed to beat the teams in the Eastern Conference who did not make the playoffs. Picking up Seth Curry would be sweet but I think the Pistons now have a reputation as a destination to stay away from at all cost. While a lot of players currently battling in the Western Conference might think of the Detroit Pistons as being forced to play in Siberia during the times of the Soviet Union, we might get Ish Smith and Reggie Bullock to agree to deals. One factor that comes out is that it is not fun to play basketball with the current core players on the Pistons. I wonder how players feel about playing with Blake. He dominates the basketball a lot when he is healthy. But then again if he played with better players perhaps he wouldn't be pounding the ball as much. While a lot of us are really enjoying the playoffs and how teams show fantastic team chemistry while dribbling less an passing the ball more while working hard to move without the ball. And the last 4 teams played exceptionally hard on defense. We don't have the players who can do that yet. I suspect we will have one more season of dysfunction and then something big might happen for the Pistons if they do not sign Smith and Bullock to lengthy contracts.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty F*** Embiid

Post  Murph Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:40 pm

F*** Embiid. He's managed to win exactly one more playoff series than Drummond. And he did it with the help of Ben Simmons and Jimmy Butler, two players who are way better than any Piston that surrounded Drummond in the playoffs.

I hope Embiid continues to get injured every year of his career.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Phillip

Post  Oracle Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:31 am

Drummond:

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Draft

Post  Phil-Good Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:57 am

I will give 7 guys I like in this draft. I don't have all 7 right now but I do have one kid I really like. I'm A believer that the Pistons should trade down and add two first round picks and try to add A extra second round pick.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Drummonds is Embiid B.I.T.C.HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post  Phil-Good Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:51 am

Oracle. Is this Post A JOKE???? I will just go down the line.

"The video is pretty bad, but it doesn't tell you much of anything, except a judgement on coaching choice." You Joking right? A coaching choice? A coaching choice? Let me help you out. You making excuses for this F.U.C.K.I.N.G BUM! Embiid gave Drummonds his MEDACINE on NATIONAL TV.. POINT BLANK PERIOD.. lol FACTS! Drummonds was the joke of the ENTIRE NBA that night. FACTS!

" He has an amazingly ability to focus on things he needs to improve, and he has a VERY high success rate at doing that." lol lol

"Would it be possible for Embiid to do that to Drummond in the playoffs? Hell no!" Hell NO? Hell NO? How about hell YES! So you believe that Drummonds would do better in A playoff atmosphere vs A player that's A thousand GENERATIONS better and smarter? Embiid is the player that Drummonds wish he was!

He could get smarter. And I could have Arial Winter huge boobs all in my mouth tonight.

He could become A better finisher. And I could finish off Riannia and Laura London at the same time.

But just like Drummonds Improvements, these things will never,ever,ever,ever, happen.

Sorry buddy!!
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Lemon

Post  Oracle Fri May 31, 2019 6:41 pm

Lemonpen wrote:Is it my imagination or were the Raps the first team ever to have success running the Splash Brothers off of the three point line.  The Warriors scored on plenty of layups late but couldn't whittle the deficit down gaining only 2 points at a time.

It shouldn't be overlooked that Nick Nurse concocted a great game plan against the Bucks, making each game more difficult than the last.  Is he on to another gem.
No it's not your imagination, Nurse has been doing a good job throughout the playoffs, and even though it helps having what's looking like the best all around player in the league in Kawhi, you still need a solid game plan and the team has to execute it, so he gets a LOT of credit in my book.

This Championship series is very different for the Warriors, and that may impact how it plays out because GS is not accustomed to opening finals on the road, they usually have the best record.
Lemon wrote:My comments weren't intended as complaints for some perceived action or inaction. I'm just relaying a training mindset repeated in the bowling alley. "If I'm not getting better, I'm getting worse". Standing still is a myth. 

You ask, "Exactly what have they had a chance to do?" 
Well, they consciously passed on a chance to jettison Ish for bball capital in return, instead once again risking being left empty handed. The move could have been made even if there is a desire to re-sign him. In addition, I could interpret that decision as running contrary to the Boss's claim of willingness to pay above the salary cap, cause a larger contract could have been accepted in return. Just sayin.
Your comments weren't the focus, they were mostly advice related, and I took it as good advice for the FO.

However, your response to what they've done seems like reaching. The Ish situation is so minor it's hardly a blip on the radar of this team. Josh Smith, Greg Monroe, and KCP were instances of losing players for nothing or paying them not to play had real consequences, that was close to 100 million in lost return for this club under SVG.

Letting a 3M player walk is a big fat nothing burger, and if I'm going to go over the CAP, it's not likely that the name Ish Smith would ever come up.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri May 31, 2019 5:36 pm

lemonpen wrote:Is it my imagination or were the Raps the first team ever to have success running the Splash Brothers off of the three point line.  The Warriors scored on plenty of layups late but couldn't whittle the deficit down gaining only 2 points at a time.

It shouldn't be overlooked that Nick Nurse concocted a great game plan against the Bucks, making each game more difficult than the last.  Is he on to another gem.

Lemonpen you are so right about the Nick Nurse defensive game plan and his players executed the plan like real professionals. The ability of this Raptors team to make the adjustment to playoff basketball has been surprising to me because there are a lot of players who suffered humiliation in previous years who didn't play their best basketball in the post season. Of course their owner made a fantastic draft pick, and secured the services of a really good defender at the center position and of course Leonard. But the guys who have played for this franchise before have really picked up their game especially on the defensive end.

Not only does Nurse have the ability to create a specific game plan for every opponent that works if excuted, but the Raptors offense is also exciting to watch. Less dribbling and more passing and movement without the basketball. I thought the terrific pace that Golden State plays at might cause problems in the 4th quarter but Toronto seemed to get stronger and never deviated from making the extra pass. Can't wait for game 2. The Warriors missed a lot of open shots but I am always impressed with the effort that team makes every time they play. It took a great effort by Toronto to win. Good to see that Jonas Jerebco hit two three point shots. He is just another player deemed not good enough to make the Pistons rotation. The Pistons know how to pick the top talent and keep them. Jerebco has the "quick feet" that allows him to be an effective defender against NBA style offenses. But our Pistons leadership blows that off. I hated the day when Jonas was no longer a Piston. Several thousand fans dropped out after that happened. Now I could care less who stays and who goes maybe with the exception of Luke and Bruce. The Pistons are at rock bottom as far as any fan hoping to see the Pistons play again in the finals. the goal now is to be average or break even and maybe Detroit can get that 8th seed again. With that said, it is great to see a team like the Raptors make it to the finals and win game one at home.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty How About Them Raptors!!

Post  lemonpen Fri May 31, 2019 9:20 am

Is it my imagination or were the Raps the first team ever to have success running the Splash Brothers off of the three point line.  The Warriors scored on plenty of layups late but couldn't whittle the deficit down gaining only 2 points at a time.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty My Comments

Post  lemonpen Fri May 31, 2019 9:13 am

Oracle wrote:You guys make good points... if they did something.

Exactly what have they had a chance to do? 

Nothing except play the hand they were dealt, and they played the hell out of that one, developing the youth, squeezing every ounce of productivity out of this team.

Now we get to see them make some moves, but everybody is out there criticizing invisible moves!

Can't we just wait and see where they're going before saying it's the wrong direction? I confess confusion with how they're being judged when the season has just ended, the finals is in progress and the draft hasn't even been held... wow, either you guys are a super tough audience, or you've been reading way too many of Don's long paragraphs  lol

My comments weren't intended as complaints for some perceived action or inaction. I'm just relaying a training mindset repeated in the bowling alley. "If I'm not getting better, I'm getting worse". Standing still is a myth.

You ask, "Exactly what have they had a chance to do?"
Well, they consciously passed on a chance to jettison Ish for bball capital in return, instead once again risking being left empty handed. The move could have been made even if there is a desire to re-sign him. In addition, I could interpret that decision as running contrary to the Boss's claim of willingness to pay above the salary cap, cause a larger contract could have been accepted in return. Just sayin.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri May 31, 2019 1:45 am

BallinD wrote:LOL  I have to confess, it is possible that i have been mesmerized and maybe hypnotized by Cool’s imaginative flights of descriptive analysis and deprecating humor.

But for the most part, I see no appreciable demonstrative vision or identity after a full year, except trying to shoehorn mini-wings down our throat as we gag and struggle to make sense of it all.

Meanwhile Stan Van Casey stands steadfast and stoic, presiding over a 27th ranking offense not markedly different than his predecessor just more jumpshots than ever before it seems.  Color me “wanting to see some leg,” or Summuum.  

Thanks for making the effort with this post. I never imagined that I had a hypnotic power. Maybe I should use it on my wife to convince her that I should not do the dishes after she cooks me a great dinner.

The subject to this yarn is "Playing The Kiss Ass Game as an NBA head coach". Ballin I may be the biggest critic regarding the hire of Dwane Casey. Once again I believe it all falls on the inept decision making skills of Tom Gores and whoever he might consult with to make big decisions. SVG was not a healthy man at the start of his tenure. He hired another unhealthy man in Brower to act as his GM. The owner huddled up with Reggie Jackson and Andre Drummond and then told SVG how to run the team. At least that is how things appeared to me. The press would often squeeze things in articles like Mr. Gores "has consulted with Andre"on this or that - "Andre did not like what happened in the players only meeting" or 'Mr. Gores phone is always open for Andre". SVG only dared to trash the fringe players not anyone who SVG might have thought had the ear of the owner. Imagine that ever happening with Bill Davidson in command. I don't think Bill liked cry babies.

Kissing ass did not save SVG from the firing squad. He deserved to be fired for not doing the right thing as a head coach and President. The owner's influence was big in every decision SVG made but kissing ass can only take you so far. Making AD the teachers pet backfired because AD's failure to give any effort to screen out Whiteside was in Tom Gores eyes SVG's fault maybe because he failed to give AD a popsicle at halftime of the Miami game.

What happened next was very predictable. Tom Gores looked hard at every coach who was out of a job and he found his man. Tom wanted another coach who was known as "a players coach". He got his man in Dwane Casey who could put together exciting lineups of Reggie Jackson, Langston Galloway, Ish Smith, Andre Drummond and Jon Leuer at times. Can't get in trouble with the owner if you play the largest contracts. Even better Casey had no part of signing any of those players. He can do no wrong just by not making any waves. Before hiring any coach what should have been evident to the owner was that he had too many underachieving specialist type players who knew nothing about moving without the ball or ball sharing let alone getting in outstanding playing shape. Even worse was the lack of team chemistry that showed when the Pistons played defense.

Learning from your mistakes was not a factor in finding the right coach because if it was, the ownership group should have said we need to stay away from hiring anymore kiss ass coaches who will tell us what we want to hear. Nothing is wrong with Casey but he was not a good fit for the Pistons. This franchise needed a guy like Mark Jackson. No owner is going to tell him what to do. No player is going to say hey coach screw you I am not going to use our new shooting coach. Mark Jackson would encourage player only meetings to let the ball players sort things out when dysfunction is obvious. Mark Jackson would laugh at a player if they whimpered to the media after the meeting. Those guys were really really mean. If only the FBI had bugged that phone call between the owner and AD. I envision both had a red colored encrypted cell phone. Who do you want traded? Oh that is easy how about Marcus Morris and Stanley Johnson. Those bastards cannot get away from talking to you like that son. I am looking for a new coach after I make some trades. Did Tobias Harris say anything nasty? Who else was responsible for humiliating you and Reggie? I still am amazed that that one players only meeting became such a spectacle. I am being silly here bringing up this players only meeting and my twisted view of how it all went down but what was lost at the time by the Detroit media was just how badly the Pistons had fallen. The team was in ruins getting blown out in the first quarter of most games. The team ended the season with that humiliating blowout loss to Orlando. Andre Drummond said all his team needed was rest. That was OK in the view of the owner but he will not tolerate player only meetings.

How many times did some of you hold player only meetings? I played on a good high school team full of tough guys and the same was true in college. Holding team meetings without coaches was a normal thing to do when the team chemistry became flawed. The only way things can change is if the players change their attitudes and no coach can make that happen. Coaches encourage such meetings. Players have to want to win really badly to hold those meetings. They hold them because they hate losing. Certain players are screwing up the works. For a coach or owner to ban such a meeting reveals that neither the head coach or the owner had a clue what they were doing. I should say SVG must have known but decided to continue on with the kiss ass game to draw that nice paycheck. I think that was for sure SVG's lowest point in his coaching career.

There you have it Ballin. Something stinks with the Pistons. Things are better than at the time of the players only meeting but the two players who were the focus of criticism are still playing for the Pistons. Who was surprised when the Bucks easily blew out the our team in every game in the playoffs? The owner called that success.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Cool Breeze

Post  BallinD Thu May 30, 2019 11:54 pm

LOL I have to confess, it is possible that i have been mesmerized and maybe hypnotized by Cool’s imaginative flights of descriptive analysis and deprecating humor.

But for the most part, I see no appreciable demonstrative vision or identity after a full year, except trying to shoehorn mini-wings down our throat as we gag and struggle to make sense of it all.

Meanwhile Stan Van Casey stands steadfast and stoic, presiding over a 27th ranking offense not markedly different than his predecessor just more jumpshots than ever before it seems. Color me “wanting to see some leg,” or Summuum.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Ballin & Lemon

Post  Oracle Thu May 30, 2019 11:33 pm

You guys make good points... if they did something.

Exactly what have they had a chance to do? 

Nothing except play the hand they were dealt, and they played the hell out of that one, developing the youth, squeezing every ounce of productivity out of this team.

Now we get to see them make some moves, but everybody is out there criticizing invisible moves!

Can't we just wait and see where they're going before saying it's the wrong direction? I confess confusion with how they're being judged when the season has just ended, the finals is in progress and the draft hasn't even been held... wow, either you guys are a super tough audience, or you've been reading way too many of Don's long paragraphs  lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 9 Empty Strateregizing or Stargazing

Post  lemonpen Thu May 30, 2019 10:19 pm

A word to the FO wise.

If you aren't moving closer to FIRST, you're moving closer to LAST.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next