Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+5
deusXango
Murph
Sparma
lemonpen
Phil-Good
9 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Free Press article on Luke Kennard - Wonder if Luke will play some point guard in summer league

Post  cool breeze Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Some Piston fans have identified that Luke Kennard could fit well as an NBA point guard because of his basketball IQ. I am a believer. Most likely the Pistons will go into training camp with Reggie and Ish. I think Buycks has a two year contract but am not sure. With Jackson Piston management cannot be sure that he can stay healthy or effective for an entire season. It appears that SVG and his staff have noticed that Kennard has more to give than just filling a spot in the rotation as a shooter. Luke says it himself. He believes that he is more than that. He is a play maker. If the Pistons want to keep the turnovers down and get more players involved in the offense, it would be wise to start the process of making Kennard a true combo guard who can step in and play the point guard position effectively in regular season games. What is not to like about this idea? Lute offers better defense than either Reggie or Ish. Kennard is not a ball dominate type of play maker. He has the quick recognition skill set and knows where the ball needs to go. He recognizes the mis matches and can create better floor balance then either Smith or Jackson because he is not a dribbler eating away the shot clock. I think the Pistons would be able to create more ball and player movement with Kennard operating the Point guard position. There could be some bumps in the road with Luke playing two different positions but I think he would love the challenge. Who do you trust with the ball? I trust Luke Kennard's ability to become a team leader. Going back to his days as an All State quarterback, Kennard has always had an advantage because of his high sports IQ. It doesn't matter what the sport is for some athletes. Kennard has the gift. I hope he plays some summer league games and gets some coaching at the point guard position. It appears that SVG and his staff have been discussing this idea now for awhile.

Johnson scored 17 points in this last game. It appears that some doubters might need to give this guy a break and encourage him instead of saying "get rid of him. Johnson is a bust". I think the Piston posters who say that have limited long term vision. And they don't know this player at all. And maybe that is true for myself with my previous analysis of Andre Drummond's potential to get better. Maybe the Pistons are close to breaking out and these young players just need more time working on their weaknesses and playing ball together. What has been going on lately sure is sweet.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty NCAA Finals

Post  Murph Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 pm

While I've enjoyed watching Villanova's run, I fear that Bunson has played himself into the 1st round of the draft. I think the Pistons might have to take Kansas' Devonte Graham or West Virginia's Jevon Carter.

Tonight's game should be fun to watch.

Quincy Acy is a thug with limited NBA talent. box

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Michigan

Post  Sparma Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Heck of a run, but I think it ends with another 2nd place place tonight.

I don't think Michigan was the underdog vs Seton Hall: they were both #3 seeds, with Michigan ranked just ahead of them in the polls (10, 11) in the regular season. Michigan had one of the greatest shooters ever in Glenn Rice, along with other pros to be like Terry Mills (I saw him hit 13 3 pointers as a Piston). The game where they would have been the underdog was v Illinois in the semis.

Michigan's finished runner up 5 times. The game v North Carolina was the killer, not just because of the Webber blunder, but because UM seemed like the far better team.

Fantastic coaching by Beilein. I think Michigan's going back among the blue blood programs, now getting the recruiting boon that didn't really happen post-2013.

But unless Villanova's way off, they'll be champs tonight (incidentally, as I remember one of the greatest finals upsets ever was v Georgetown which had already beaten them three times).
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:29 pm

WTF wrote:Yes they're going is as the underdog but they also were in 89 beating Seton Hall.  Think this game will be close I don't think Nova has seen perimeter defense like Michigan's all season.   I think coach will make the right adjustments as he always does and Michigan wins a close one.  GoBlue!!!! clap

Speaking of Blue I swear I hate we never gave Burke a chance here,  he looked great tonight for the Knicks 18pts 15ast not bad at all.  I still prefer him over Ish hell even over Reggie to a small degree.  Good to see him back playing again I still believe in this kid so Go Blue again Trey Burke banana

WTF cool of you to bring up the Seton Hall game in 1989. Nova must be cocky and maybe over confident due to their incredible performance against Kansas. However, we must remember that a midget team named Arizona State beat Kansas at Kansas this season and Arizona State ended up near the bottom in the PAC12 this season. When all of those outside shots were falling for Nova I kept thinking how difficult it is to repeat that type of long distance shooting percentage in the following game. But Nova is a solid team so this will have to be Michigan's best game of the season come Monday.

On to the Pistons. I didn't watch the game until this morning. What I liked was how everyone has come together as a team. There is a difference for sure from the current team and the Piston team that was playing in the dead of winter. First off I witnessed Andre Drummond play perhaps the first quarter of this game 100% better than he has ever played defense in any previous first quarter. That showed me that he came prepared to play NY from the opening tip. AD was ready to play. He was spot on with every defensive rotation challenging opponent shots in the paint and going out quickly on open shooters on the baseline. On offense I can't recall AD causing even one turnover in the entire first half. I really want the Pistons to secure the services of a top rated point guard but it is clear if AD can play the way he is currently performing, and be that rim protector Greg Kelser identified in him last night, the Pistons will be in the thick of a playoff run next season. I had previously thought about a possible trade with the Suns to get some of their draft picks and a starter involving AD. I no longer want AD traded. AD seems to be happy being a Piston and maybe Detroit can be a winner with him leading the way.

The 2nd unit fought back from a deficit late in the 3rd quarter. Eric Moreland got two deflections leading to turnovers and made a tough floater running full blast in the paint during that stretch. Also, Henry Ellenson was running like a deer on the hardwood. Did anyone notice his speed? It reminded me of the days when I watched Arron Gordon play basketball for the U of Arizona. Gordon stood out from all of the other players with his long strides and ability to go from baseline to baseline with amazing speed for a big guy with his amazing speed. Fans notice this gift of speed with big men more when you see it live when actually attending games. Ellenson has that gift. In the stretch when the Pistons turned the game around, Ellenson got back quickly on defense on a Piston miss and prevented a layup by holding his position without fouling. Then he dribbled the basketball the full length of the court and dished off in the paint for an assist. Henry made a sweet 3 point baseline jump shot as well during that period of time. I love the spin Henry gets on the basketball when he releases his jumper. I think Henry Ellenson if given the minutes will change this Piston team. Somehow the coach will have to find minutes for Henry. What is not to like about Tolliver? We need him on this team next season. So with Griffin and Tolliver, how can a coach find minutes for Henry? I think Ellenson will need to make the switch for the time being to center. However, Griffin can also play center with the 2nd unit depending on matchups. There must be a way to fit Ellenson into the rotation so the combination of Griffin and Ellenson might become deadly.

The Pistons have been up and down this season. Is this string of wins a sign that there has been a breakthrough for the players who are not performing so well? The energy or effort is outstanding. Right now I do not want any changes to take place. The team chemistry is outstanding. The younger players are getting better. AD is becoming a consistent paint defender. and that is the key for Piston success. There is always room for improvement with every position but the chances that the Pistons will grow into something special are good. Reggie Jackson is not perfect. But last night I saw him play better defense. He didn't hog the basketball as much. Smith provided that surge of high energy off the bench. Bullock, Johnson, Kennard, Ellis all seem to work well for this team. I know there are a lot of doubters relating to Johnson's shooting ability. But he provides the team with a defensive stopper and play maker and his shooting was not so bad in this last game. And there is no doubt in my mind that Stanley will become a more consistent jump shooter. He has learned how to get spacing to create his own shot. Johnson should have graduated from college this spring. He is young, smart and hates losing. SJ will figure his shooting stroke out.  But the forgotten Henry Ellenson will not be forgotten for long I suspect. He has that special speed and shooting stroke you don't often see in a big guy. I think Henry would have been better off playing in GR and being the star player on that team this season. He just needs minutes. Notice all of those reject players currently performing well for New York including Burke. I wanted him over Pope. But like our young Piston players, it takes time and hard work before you can figure out how to play well in the NBA.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Bummer

Post  WTF Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 pm

They Didn't Fired Him!!!!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty GO BLUE!!!!!!

Post  WTF Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:47 am

Yes they're going is as the underdog but they also were in 89 beating Seton Hall.  Think this game will be close I don't think Nova has seen perimeter defense like Michigan's all season.   I think coach will make the right adjustments as he always does and Michigan wins a close one.  GoBlue!!!! clap

Speaking of Blue I swear I hate we never gave Burke a chance here,  he looked great tonight for the Knicks 18pts 15ast not bad at all.  I still prefer him over Ish hell even over Reggie to a small degree.  Good to see him back playing again I still believe in this kid so Go Blue again Trey Burke banana
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Basketball

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Watched the end of the Pistons game (during the Michigan halftime), again with Drummond playing big. I'm afraid that the team has shown enough with Reggie back to convince Gores to keep on SVG for his final year as coach, likely with Arn Tellum taking over in the front office.

I can't take credit for WTF's eloquent statement on UM, Don. Weird that the final score makes it look like a fairly easy game. Not at all, in fact. Heck of a game by Mo Wagner, which Grant Hill called one of the best semifinal performances that he's seen. Credit to some halftime adjustment by Beilein, leading to better D and more flowing O. In the first half, UM just wasn't hitting shots, with Wagner keeping them in it, with some help from Matthews.

cool breeze wrote:
WTF wrote:@Sparma,  It won't be that big of a bummer it's really hard to be disappointed in a Final Four appearance.  Looking at them initially and all season really I could only guess they would go as far as the Elite 8.  However watching them win the Big Ten Championship made me just a little bit more hopeful in thinking that yes they could win it all.

I think this Wolverine is coached extremely well,  they do a whole bunch well and fundamentally correct, they're not the most talented team but clearly the tougher team and smartest team remaining.  They kind of remain of all our championship teams across all sports.  They are built tough!!!

So Go Blue!!!!

Sparma I loved what you wrote here about this Michigan team. i just finished watching the Florida-Michigan game again. What was cool about that game was how they responded in the first half when Florida played really well. They kept grinding and using their brains out on the court and it all came together in the 2nd half. The way this Michigan team has grown together throughout the season is a thing of beauty. The players are smart. They play together exceptionally well especially on defense. They mix in a full court press at times and never look stagnate. The players see the court on offense and share the basketball. The big men know the angles and are never caught standing while always boxing out board crashers. The coaching is outstanding for sure at Michigan. Nobody predicted this at all. Regardless of what happens today or Monday, this Michigan team will be remembered for a long time. Michigan's opponent is a great story as well. I wish both teams could be matched up with one of the teams playing the other game today.

I love Wagner's game. He needs to add some weight for the NBA but I predict he will be an outstanding pro. Wish he could become a Piston. We need smarter players. NBA DRAFT NET has Wagner going two spots above the Pistons in the 2nd round. Interesting to see that this draft site has the Pistons taking a center in Wiley.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:50 pm

WTF wrote:@Sparma,  It won't be that big of a bummer it's really hard to be disappointed in a Final Four appearance.  Looking at them initially and all season really I could only guess they would go as far as the Elite 8.  However watching them win the Big Ten Championship made me just a little bit more hopeful in thinking that yes they could win it all.

I think this Wolverine is coached extremely well,  they do a whole bunch well and fundamentally correct, they're not the most talented team but clearly the tougher team and smartest team remaining.  They kind of remain of all our championship teams across all sports.  They are built tough!!!

So Go Blue!!!!

Sparma I loved what you wrote here about this Michigan team. i just finished watching the Florida-Michigan game again. What was cool about that game was how they responded in the first half when Florida played really well. They kept grinding and using their brains out on the court and it all came together in the 2nd half. The way this Michigan team has grown together throughout the season is a thing of beauty. The players are smart. They play together exceptionally well especially on defense. They mix in a full court press at times and never look stagnate. The players see the court on offense and share the basketball. The big men know the angles and are never caught standing while always boxing out board crashers. The coaching is outstanding for sure at Michigan. Nobody predicted this at all. Regardless of what happens today or Monday, this Michigan team will be remembered for a long time. Michigan's opponent is a great story as well. I wish both teams could be matched up with one of the teams playing the other game today.

I love Wagner's game. He needs to add some weight for the NBA but I predict he will be an outstanding pro. Wish he could become a Piston. We need smarter players. NBA DRAFT NET has Wagner going two spots above the Pistons in the 2nd round. Interesting to see that this draft site has the Pistons taking a center in Wiley.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Keeping Fingers Cross

Post  WTF Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:25 pm

@Sparma,  It won't be that big of a bummer it's really hard to be disappointed in a Final Four appearance.  Looking at them initially and all season really I could only guess they would go as far as the Elite 8.  However watching them win the Big Ten Championship made me just a little bit more hopeful in thinking that yes they could win it all.

So Go Blue!!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Fun game

Post  Sparma Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Good win over Washington, without Griffin.

Dre totally dominant, which I'm glad to see you acknowledged, Don.  I do agree that Gortat's given him loads of trouble in the pass.  Kennard's good at pass to AD, getting a nice pass right down the middle to him.

Ellenson's the big story, given how little he's played.  He's got a lot to give offensively, eg, running up the floor for a dunk.  He also showed me something on a tap in, even though it was called offensive goal tending.  On one play, he was matched defensively against (SF) Oubre.  Oubre ran right by him for the score, even though Henry had appeared to be in place defensively, with lots of arm waving.  I don't see a high ceiling for him defensively, but maybe he can get to be okay there.  His best chance, I think, is to really bulk up, so that he can play back up C, as well as like a powerful forward.  Offensively, he can and should improve his shot, but he's already got a lot going there, combining skill (polish) and energy.

He, Moreland, and Buycks look like our equivalent of baseball's AAAA players for now. Yes, they can do some nice things for you, and do some nights, but there's probably quite a bit of comparable talent out there either just in or just out of the NBA. Still, if everything breaks right for them, each of those guys could be a nice NBA contributor for a good while.

And to Wise: yes, it is fun to have a Michigan team with the inside track on appearing in the championship.  A smart, overachieving, enthusiastic team.  Glad I get to root for them.  Of course if Loyola beats them, the season will end on a big bummer.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 am

Murph wrote:Nice calls in your post yesterday, Don.   Rolling Eyes

I really can't even read the crap you post anymore.

Sorry Murph many errors so my apology for causing you any unhappy moments. My depressing post might have inspired the Piston team last night. Andre Drummond played inspired basketball for 3 quarters when matched up against Gortat. This marks the first game in AD's career where he has kicked his ass. Gortat started out scoring easily against AD in the first quarter but that all changed as the game progressed. In the 4th quarter Gortat was on the bench and AD seemed out of sync again on defense but still got some big rebounds. If AD is engaged and prepared to bring his A game meaning he has prepared before the game starts for his specific opponent and is willing to play hard AD can be part of a winning team.

What stood out to me was the floor play of our young perimeter players, Bullock, Johnson and Kennard. All three players had great moments on the defensive end. Johnson's defense on Beal in the 2nd half was very good. Bullock and Johnson are helping each other getting ball deflections and switching with the correct timing. Kennard has the ability to penetrate score or make the right pass and he was really good on defense too. This combination of three young guys might turn out really good for the Pistons next season. This was the first playoff team the Pistons have beaten since February. Washington didn't have Wall and Porter went down with an ankle injury but still Washing had been playing basketball at a high level before this game so my optimism is becoming stronger Murph.

The combination of Tolliver and Ellenson worked out well too. Henry did well in my opinion. He has some good quickness and showed off a variety of offensive moves. He just needs more meaningful minutes like he had last night in the future.

Smith had another great game. There is a big difference when Ish is on the court instead of Reggie Jackson. I didn't like it at all when Reggie dominated the basketball in crunch time. He did make a 3 pointer and had a nice drive to the hoop but wasn't really able to get the necessary penetration throughout the game that the team had with Smith who didn't turn over the basketball. Reggie has missed a lot of time but still I wish the Pistons had another option for next season. But who knows it appears that my opinion about the chances of Detroit having a good season next year might be wrong. Maybe this young group of kids just needs more time to create something really good. Griffen was out and he dominates the offense. It was good to see how the Pistons shared the basketball throughout the game until crunch time when Reggie took over. Those are the moments that I do not like. The rest of the team starts standing around. Reggie is confident in his ability to score against 5 opposing players but I am not so sure he can pull it off. And I want the young guys like Bullock, Kennard and Johnson to learn how to make big shots when games are on the line. This might be nit picking on my part because the Pistons did win but in the long run defenses will gear up to get Reggie into difficult positions on the floor where he will create turnovers at critical moments if this doesn't stop.

I still would like to see a big trade involving AD who is the only Piston player who could bring in a game changing player for the Pistons. That would be a gamble because you may be right that AD might blossom into the best center in the NBA. But the Pistons need a top tier young point guard. That player will only come through the draft. The rest of this team is still really young. While saying that I know nothing will happen so I am pulling for AD to become great.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty More Fake News From Don

Post  Murph Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:05 am

Nice calls in your post yesterday, Don. Rolling Eyes

I really can't even read the crap you post anymore.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty I am still enjoying your posts more than the Piston games. No hope unless there is a severe roster change so buckle up and expect another flop starting in the month of December or January

Post  cool breeze Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:06 pm

As far as I am concerned this was a repeat from last season with the most of the same caste of characters playing basketball in the heart of winter like losers always do. Kevin O'Neill told me once to watch the teams that fold starting around the Christmas holidays until around the last 10 games of the season. The highest paid players on those teams are usually the leaders in causing the losing not the young lower paid players. We had a big trade that screwed up the Pistons chances this season so everyone can blame Tom Gores for the Pistons current state of dysfunction. The string of wins means nothing now at all period. It is good that the players are excited about winning but they failed the test when it mattered again.

It was nice that we didn't have to watch Leur play power forward this season. How about that for a positive?

I also pulled for Buycks and enjoyed the times when he played well.

I has never made me happy to watch Andre Drummond play basketball. He is not a smart player and never has been a smart players. Smart players always are on the winning team. The Lakers game was a perfect example. I thought AD was the worst starter on the floor. It was Griffin who took the hard contact in the paint on defense. Drummond got his usual amount of rebounds but he was the guy who kept throwing the ball to the Laker players once he did secure a defensive rebound. And he seemed to always get outsmarted in the paint on defense. His offense was not any better either. More shot selection. Below average passing. He did make too free throws when Luke Walton initiated the Hack a Drummond in the 4th before the 2 minute mark. I stand by my gut feeling that AD makes too much money for a guy who is always on a losing team. He was more engaged this season though. There is no way the owner will part with him so I have to hope that posters like Murph have really found something meaningful in those stats AD has piled up.

Reggie Jackson still looks like a hot dog type player to me. He did some good things in the Laker game but always seemed to be on the verge of incurring another serious injury. Was he faking some of those antics? Who knows but Ball ran circles around him.
The news today is that Blake Griffin will sit this game out. Maybe he knows that the Pistons never have a chance to beat Washington. How will Blake take spending another season with the Pistons? Does he have something in his contract that allows him to sit out games against the playoff teams? Just kidding. My hope is that Griffen will be a serious player next season and work with his teammates over the summer and place some demands on all of them to work hard and get better prepared to play better basketball. He looks like a leader type. Who knows but that seems to be the Pistons best hope that Griffin kicks ass and takes names and I am talking about the players he has been forced to play with with that comment.

The Lakers lost but who would not gladly trade our entire team for that Lakers team and their coaching staff and perhaps their owner as well. Oh and I agree with the comments from WTF relating to both 1 and 2. Great job all and I suspect that nobody will guess that the Pistons will make the playoffs next season or have a winning record. The big news now will be who the Pistons select in the 2nd round. I am sure that Piston management will take the entire summer off with no trades before the next trade deadline. We have one thing going for us. We are conditioned to watching Piston players who lose a lot of games because they are not very mentally tough yet. Will the result from this season inspire some of the young players to do the necessary hard work to play better? We have to hope that happens. I have no belief that AD will be a different player next season. He was the same guy in high school, college and has remained the same guy for too long. Who will outsmart him next year? I imagine DeAndre Ayton will and other rookies that will not know much at all about playing in the NBA will study game film and see that AD still hasn't decided that he will box out opposing players crashing the boards when he is on defense. AD will be working on his offense again or resting in the off season. While saying that I hope like hell that he tired of losing and will transform himself to a smarter more consistent NBA player who makes few turnovers and more winning plays. He is still the guy who can change the landscape for the Pistons. And of course we need a real point guard too. Ish Smith played one hell of a game against the Lakers though. But failing to draft Mitchell because SVG wanted to protect both Jackson and Smith has really hurt the Pistons future.

This is another repeat the same old stuff that I am tired of talking about and you are tired of reading it is depressing to think about the Pistons chances next year. The big decision will be if the Piston fans who live outside the State of Michigan will actually pay for a subscription next fall.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Fret Not There Will Be A Team From The Great State Of Michigan In A Championship Game!!!!!

Post  WTF Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:18 am

This team has 8 games remaining and I need them to win five of them to successfully get to my prediction of 39 wins, I knew I should have predicted 37 wins because that seems more likely to happen.  In any case the cause remains SVG.

I hear everyone on their suggestions/ideas for the future moving forward after this season.  A lot of it seem like great commons sense ideas, even some with a hint of desperation but still feasible provided this or that.    Sadly we have a problem perhaps 2 problems 1st nothing we as fans come up with as solutions
won't matter as long as SVG is still in place.  We must realize that SVG is the sole problem with teams period not firing him will only make things worse if he's coaching this team next season. 2nd problem is Gore because even if he did fire SVG I don't think he's bright enough to hire the right replacement either Gore won't hire based on qualifications he do it base on what's trending or popular.  I think that's how we ended up with SVG in the first place.

Even if we make no change with the players it was clear many of you thought this team was capable of winning 50 games as is.  I think RJ, BG, and AD could carry the team to 50 wins (not a championship) but only with the right coach.  Just about any suggestion for next coach would be better than SVG I think Gore really do need to steer this team back towards tradition (Will Require Him Eating Some Crow)  but he has 3 decades of past Pistons players to pick from to lead the charge.  

Keep Hope Alive People and Go Blue!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty The future, such as it is

Post  Sparma Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 am

Interesting exchange between BallinD and Murph. I find both persuasive, which I suppose shouldn't be possible.

I'm intrigued by the Rondo idea. He'd need to come to the D on the cheap, which seems unlikely.

And, yes, the idea of scouring the world for talent, and taking chances on young unproven guys also sounds smart.

Our resources are limited, but evidently we still have a 7 mil trade exception, along with the mid-level exception.

We've got little maneuverability.

Trading Dre would be the big chip, but I can't see getting a return that would be worth it.

Trade Leuer? Sure, but wouldn't we need to include a 2nd rounder, and haven't we about used those up for the next decade?

Reggie J? Yes, but I can't see us getting a good return with his big contract, uneven production, and unreliable health.

Galloway? SVG's about managed to reduced him to the value he should have signed him for to begin with?

Tolliver's either leaving or signing a healthy contract with us. Ditto Ennis.

Kennard and Reggie B are our prized youngsters. Can't see them going?

Ellenson? Probably worth more to us as a prospect than we could fetch on the market.

Griffin? Forget about it.

Ish could be moved, but would immediately create a hole at the spot he's vacating.

That brings me to the guy I see as our most tradeable player: Stanley Johnson. He's got real value, especially if he were willing to adopt a JYD persona (btw, how many 3s did the original JYD heave up there? A handful. Maybe fewer than Stanley did v the Lakers?). I'd really like to know what Stanley J and the trade exception could bring in return. Also, he could help us move Leuer, but my sense is we should just grit through that contract one more year (if he plays well, he's going to be valuable in small line ups at C, and replacing Tolliver). Again, I suspect Stanley J's worth more to us than in a trade.

Dang it. So little room to move. Could a good vet come in for the mid-level exception? No way we could sign a solid vet to the minimum, right? So some seriously creative roster building a la San Antonio looks necessary, including heavy international scouting.

BallinD wrote:Good Post Murph...On The Other Hand, why not scour the association and international scene so we can do the Boston or the Milwaukee, Golden State.  Go get a young, under rated pg like Rozier or Brogdon or Delon Wright (Toronto), Quin Cook (Dubs), Dinwidde and let him grow with Kennard, SJ and yet still be dynamic enough to push Weggie, if he is still here.  Then we are dealing Weggie from a position of strength.   guitar  I don't think our team has a good enough ceiling and has enough assets to improve to think we are a middling aging injury-prone point guard away from grabbing the 2nd seed, though it is certainly possible.  I just think we should try a more modern approach than reaching back, why not reach forward?  As constituted, our team's injury history (Griffin/Weggie/SJ) does not bode auspicious, and all things being equal, I would wanna go younger.

Who would we trade?  Galloway/Leuer/Ish.  I just think we should go young and dynamic rather than old and past the prime, just because of our team makeup/age.  Anybody agree?

Murph wrote:When Reggie is healthy, this team is 25-10 (.714 winning percentage).  That would currently be good for the 2nd seed in the East.  

So logic dictates that we should probably keep this team together, and try to add another veteran PG to the roster to take the load off of Reggie, and try to keep him healthy.

One way to do that is to trade for a veteran PG like George Hill on a bad contract.  Another way to do it would be to try to sign a veteran PG to our own bad contract.  

Veteran free agent PGs in the off season include:

Chris Paul...no chance he'll come here.
Isaiah Thomas...who want a midget with a bad attitude?
Elfrid Payton...probably wants a starting job.
Tony Parker...too old at 36 next year.
Rajon Rando
Milos Teodosic...he played poorly for the Clips.

What would it take to lure Rondo here as Reggie's back-up?
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Win What Now?

Post  BallinD Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Good Post Murph...On The Other Hand, why not scour the association and international scene so we can do the Boston or the Milwaukee, Golden State. Go get a young, under rated pg like Rozier or Brogdon or Delon Wright (Toronto), Quin Cook (Dubs), Dinwidde and let him grow with Kennard, SJ and yet still be dynamic enough to push Weggie, if he is still here. Then we are dealing Weggie from a position of strength. guitar I don't think our team has a good enough ceiling and has enough assets to improve to think we are a middling aging injury-prone point guard away from grabbing the 2nd seed, though it is certainly possible. I just think we should try a more modern approach than reaching back, why not reach forward? As constituted, our team's injury history (Griffin/Weggie/SJ) does not bode auspicious, and all things being equal, I would wanna go younger.

Who would we trade? Galloway/Leuer/Ish. I just think we should go young and dynamic rather than old and past the prime, just because of our team makeup/age. Anybody agree?

Murph wrote:When Reggie is healthy, this team is 25-10 (.714 winning percentage).  That would currently be good for the 2nd seed in the East.  

So logic dictates that we should probably keep this team together, and try to add another veteran PG to the roster to take the load off of Reggie, and try to keep him healthy.

One way to do that is to trade for a veteran PG like George Hill on a bad contract.  Another way to do it would be to try to sign a veteran PG to our own bad contract.  

Rajon Rando

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Free Agent PGs

Post  Murph Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:33 am

When Reggie is healthy, this team is 25-10 (.714 winning percentage). That would currently be good for the 2nd seed in the East.

One way to do that is to trade for a veteran PG like George Hill on a bad contract. Another way to do it would be to try to sign a veteran PG to our own bad contract.

Rajon Rando

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty A Tale of Two Cities

Post  BallinD Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:18 am

While the Fakers are in the conversation for being one of the best young teams on track for free agents, and continue to stockpile young talent, we are still stuck in neutral, blowing smoke. Meanwhile the Clippers are making noise in a possible race to the playoffs.

What is this about a "Big Three?"  Another SVG fantasy, along with "The season's not over yet," " We will be a dangerous team...Next Year!"  "Jameer will provide veteran help for our playoff push," "Our Big Three just couldn't guard anybody," and so it goes.

Not ready to get behind Weggie, though Dre did prove me wrong this year, as did the team, so there is that!   Since it appears we can't trade him yet, hope he continues to play well so we can.  Who is gonna be our young second-round pick?  Is that gonna be the exciting question of the day for us, moving forward?
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty LA & Kawhi

Post  Sparma Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Don't folks keep talking about moving Julius Randle and Brooke Lopez (and KCP) to bring in Paul George & another max contract?  Unless that second guy is LeBron (I doubt it), I wouldn't give up on those two to quickly.  Lopez with the off night shooting, but dang, those are two tough hombres inside.  

If this game gets national attention, I suspect it will be because Lonzo Ball shot so well.

Had we signed KCP, I'm guessing there couldn't have been a Griffin trade.  Food for thought.

Reggie J with 20, dribbling and dribbling at the end, once with a big shot, once with a turnover.

What a conundrum Stanley J is.  He had about three nice creative plays in a row in the 3rd quarter, two to Andre.  But he could improve overnight by deeply cutting into his distance shooting (0-3 tonight).  And he makes a real contribution on D, but he made such a low basketball IQ reach in from behind with the Pistons trying to milk the clock at the end, that Kelser felt compelled to call the play out (without naming the obvious culprit, SJ).  If he'd been a late 1st, early 2nd, choice, you'd be feeling pretty good about his potential.  But #8?!?  

Meanwhile, we have picked up someone performing around the level you'd expect from a #8 pick (but probably not above) in Reggie B.  He's not a great passer, but he passes quickly, making good decisions, which is really helpful

Those teams were really battling out there, with little to play for.  Good game.

BallinD, I think with one year on an apparently unhappy Kawhi's contract, the Spurs would be happy to take Andre in exchange (& whatever's needed to even out the deal).  Don would get his wish, and we'd get to see what Pops could do with Andre.  But ReggieJ and StanleyJ?  I take it you were joking!

BallinD wrote:To pry Kawhi Leonard away from the Spurs.  Once we get Chauncey in here we can work on getting our next star.  Could we purloin "The Claw" away from Popovich?  Probably not, but who thought we could get Blake?  He's banking a cool $18.8 mil per annum.  

RJax and SJ should do it for us.  If they are on the outs and the Spurs fear they might lose him, I'm sure they will try to trade him.  And I know that perhaps other teams could put together a better package, but we could get lucky!

Just like we could get lucky in the draft lottery.  

Yeah, I'm delusional.  (At least he's got Pistons DNA)!
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty I Wonder What It Would Take

Post  BallinD Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 am

To pry Kawhi Leonard away from the Spurs.  Once we get Chauncey in here we can work on getting our next star.  Could we purloin "The Claw" away from Popovich?  Probably not, but who thought we could get Blake?  He's banking a cool $18.8 mil per annum.  

RJax and SJ should do it for us.  If they are on the outs and the Spurs fear they might lose him, I'm sure they will try to trade him.  And I know that perhaps other teams could put together a better package, but we could get lucky!

Just like we could get lucky in the draft lottery.  

Yeah, I'm delusional. (At least he's got Pistons DNA)!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Winners VS Losers

Post  WTF Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:24 am

Forget the Pistons!!!!! GO BLUE!!!!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty And they're back

Post  Sparma Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Terrific game by Tolliver.

Think they set the record for 3 pointers - I know they were within one of tying with a lot of time left on the clock.

Best two game set in a long time.

I'm not getting too revved up -- Tolliver's playing on a great contract for us this year, and he may well not be back.  Ennis is another good player who may be on his way out.

Still, the lower that draft pick is that the Clippers pick up, the happier I'll be.  Last I saw they were projected to pick up Trae Young with our pick at #11.

Last edited by Sparma on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Facts

Post  Murph Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 am

Don, I know I'm wasting my time writing this, but the statistics do no bare out your subjective observations.  Statistically speaking, Drummond is one of the best, if not the best defensive player in the NBA.  Per 100 possessions, teams score the fewest number of points (99) when playing against Drummond.  That is a statistical fact.  You can spin it any way you want, but you can't get around that statistical fact.  And this has been going on for years.  Drummond has led the league in fewest points allowed per 100 possessions for the last 3 years.

Furthermore, statistically speaking, Stanley Johnson is an offensive disaster, and he's not getting much better as time goes on.  When Johnson is in the game, the Pistons score the fewest points per 100 possession (97) than anyone else on the team, except Henry Ellenson and Jameer Nelson.  

Statistically speaking Reggie Bullock and James Ennis are much, much more valuable than Johnson, and they were acquired as throw-ins on trades, and make very little money.  Bullock and Ennis make Stanley Johnson expendable.

I know you don't agree with these facts, so I won't argue any further with you about them.  But that's the basis for my strategy to continue building around Drummond who is still only 24, and Blake Griffin, who's contract is impossible to move.

And as far as Luke Kennard is concerned, I agree that he will eventually develop into a very valuable player, but I don't believe he will ever have the handles to effectively play starting PG for the Pistons.  IMO, Kennard will only be able to play one position effectively, and that position is SG.

Brunson had 27 pts and 4 asts tonight, leading Villanova over WVU into the Elite 8.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 19 Empty Tanking

Post  Sparma Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Good article on the Pistons and tanking from a surprising source, The Washington Post: "Stan Van Gundy was told not to tank. The Pistons are headed for the lottery again anyway."

The article made it sound like Gores set the mandate of winning as quickly as possible on Van Gundy, but I think that was only half the story. As I remember, the two regarded it as a match made in heaven because BOTH agreed with the need to win as soon as possible, while also building. Wasn't it just last year that Van Gundy was quoted as saying that tanking never works?

I've argued that there have been three paradigmatic cases of tanking: 76ers, Cleveland Browns, and Houston Astros. Hardly can tank more effectively than the Astros, and the 76ers are well on their way. I guess part of tanking effectively is knowing when to switch up, as all three teams have done. I happen to think the Browns are about to harvest the fruits of tanking.

Yet more fundamental than tanking is finding a competitive advantage. Tanking seeks to do that, but now that tanking seems common, the extent of competitive balance fades.

The Pistons should have tanked at the time SVG arrived. Now, unfortunately, I doubt it's even an option what with that massive, nearly untradeable, contract on board.

(On the bright side: could Griffin be our best player since Isiah? And I raise that possibility without being a fan of the trade.)

btw, I like the trade Murph proposed for Hill.

Also, I'm game for trading Drummond IF we're a better team/ a team with better prospects after trading him. I doubt there's a genuine trade possibility out there that accomplishes that for us. Likely, it would need to be a quasi-salary dump, and why do that if you're stuck with the anchor of the Griffin contract anyway?
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Murph wrote:Jon Leuer, Ish Smith and Stanley Johnson for George Hill.

We get rid of the contract of the completely useless Leuer in return for a durable starting NBA PG, who doesn't dominate the ball and can play D.

Cleveland gets cap relief with Smith's expiring contract, and they get younger.  Of course this is predicated on Lebron leaving the Cavs for greener pastures.  If Lebron stays, the trade makes no sense for them.

I'm watching that Jalen Brunson - Jevon Carter match-up tonight in the Villanova/West Virginia game.

The Pistons needed to make the trade for Hill before Cleveland got him. Murph you keep ignoring the fact that the Pistons will never win as long as they keep playing Andre Drummond that huge salary. He has the lowest basketball IQ of any player the Pistons have had in their history who commanded the team's 2nd highest salary. Do you really believe that AD will ever agree to become a real NBA defender of the paint? Will he ever be able to think quickly enough or care enough to get a body on opposing players crashing the boards in crunch time? Will AD ever give an honest effort on defense in the first half of games? Will he ever even act engaged in the first quarter on defense. You just cannot win games with a player like that. It was a dead give away when the UCONN coaches could not teach AD anything in one whole season. Now SVG has struck out as well. In fact the Piston coaching staff has given up trying to get AD to conform to the rotation system they use. AD does not confront players who enter the paint. He backs away from them and reaches. I am just tired of watching this fake basketball. Now I have not watched this last game yet but in the previous game, AD was AWOL for the entire first half. Blake Griffin could be seen shaking his head at times.

I would love it if the Pistons could secure the rights of George Hill. That should have been done two years ago. I would make Kennard the Piston's point guard next season. There is no reason why he can't do it. Stanley Johnson is going to be a big time player before his career is over. You have lost confidence in his ability to get better on the offensive end. I believe as others do that Stanley Johnson is going solve his release issues once and for all and become a great player. He is the best defender on this Piston team. The Pistons lack good defenders at all positions who are consistently providing high energy in every game on defense. That is what wins games. I wouldn't give up Johnson for Hill knowing that the Pistons are years away from competing at a high level. The big guy has to be traded. He will command a high quality player and draft picks not Johnson. If the Pistons could trade Johnson for a top 5 draft pick this summer, I am all in because this will be another good draft year. AD has to go before draft day this summer. Trade Stanley Johnson as well if the Pistons can draft or trade for a different kind of center than AD. We need a center who will focus completely on defense who has high energy and will not take plays off. Maybe I am the only poster who is vocal relating to AD's worth to the Pistons. For the past two seasons, Andre Drummond has slacked off with effort after Christmas. Whatever he does in the last few games means nothing. 2 months ago when the Pistons needed extreme effort from him relating to protecting the paint, he did the opposite. True character shows in the months from the middle of December to the month of March. That is when AD becomes a slacker. Yet with all of those amazing stats, AD could possibly off the Pistons some great options if this owner will agree to trade him. That is the problem. Tom Gores will not trade him. If the right thing doesn't occur over the coming summer, it is time for most of us to take next year off. It is just too frustrating to watch the Pistons. There are just too many players who can't figure things out mentally on the basketball court.

Watching these college teams fight for every loose ball and not lose their minds when they are double teamed knowing that if they screw up their team will not advance is a beautiful thing to witness. We will never see that kind of effort or guts watching the NBA. If only there were no guaranteed contracts. Kansas State didn't shrink under the pressure of having so many players in foul trouble and their best player sitting on the bench with an injury. Size didn't matter either. And the young kids on Kentucky were equally up to the challenge. That was real basketball which is something that I did not see while watching any Piston game this season. We watch a low basketball IQ team playing an offense that doesn't fit while players have no clue how to defend as a team either. It doesn't matter if their is a coaching staff attending the games or not. the coaches have no impact.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next