Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
lemonpen
FlyDog
Go Stones!
Sebastian
Phil-Good
merc
deusXango
Oracle
WTF
Fennis Dembo
14 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Kinda Depends

Post  lemonpen Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:57 pm

BallinD wrote:So, Forum, I have a question; if we trade the pick, who do we package with it?

Tolliver?

Harris?

Dinwidde?

Meeks?

Or do we keep it?

All of them if it will bring Anthony Davis in return. dance dance dance dance
Keep the pick if it's Charli V we seek. facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Ref Related Concern

Post  lemonpen Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:51 pm

cool breeze wrote:I have looked at this many times and believe that at least 70% of the time, the refs would have called a foul. The key is that there was a reach by Reggie's defender which clearly prevented Jackson from getting into a solid shooting motion. Labron James would get that call 100% of the time with no contact at all. And there was contact. Reggie had a good reason to bitch out the ref. It appeared that Reggie could have turned on the jets and gone around his defender but that is back seat driving.

IMO the end of game no call was consistent with how the games have always been officiated. I probably would have been more amazed if there were a whistle. What continued to disappoint me throughout the series was the lack of calls for moving screens at the three point line. It seemed like the majority of big man screens were set late (after the ball handler made a move) and not stationary (moving with the defender).
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Trade the Pick

Post  BallinD Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:26 am

So, Forum, I have a question; if we trade the pick, who do we package with it?

Tolliver?

Harris?

Dinwidde?

Meeks?

Or do we keep it?
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  merc Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 pm

lemonpen wrote:
WTF wrote:
lemonpen wrote:I understand him receiving no votes for COY, but there should be a  significant response for Executive of the Year.

I don't think he did as much as he might have could've done.  Both Morris and Harris were great additions.  SJ looks to be an okay draft pick but there's still the stench of Meeks and his handling of Moose that doesn't say executive of the year.  Plus SVG needs to fire that damn head coach coach.
Meeks has nothing to do with this year's award.   2015-2016:
RJax,  Baynes, Stanley, Morris,  Bullock,  and the best trade deadline pickup  HARRIS = EOY

And + 12 wins over last season
+ 1
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty EoY

Post  lemonpen Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:19 pm

WTF wrote:
lemonpen wrote:I understand him receiving no votes for COY, but there should be a  significant response for Executive of the Year.

I don't think he did as much as he might have could've done.  Both Morris and Harris were great additions.  SJ looks to be an okay draft pick but there's still the stench of Meeks and his handling of Moose that doesn't say executive of the year.  Plus SVG needs to fire that damn head coach coach.
Meeks has nothing to do with this year's award.   2015-2016:
RJax,  Baynes, Stanley, Morris,  Bullock,  and the best trade deadline pickup  HARRIS = EOY

And + 12 wins over last season
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Last Piston Possession where Reggie didn't get a call

Post  cool breeze Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:41 pm

I have looked at this many times and believe that at least 70% of the time, the refs would have called a foul. The key is that there was a reach by Reggie's defender which clearly prevented Jackson from getting into a solid shooting motion. Labron James would get that call 100% of the time with no contact at all. And there was contact. Reggie had a good reason to bitch out the ref. It appeared that Reggie could have turned on the jets and gone around his defender but that is back seat driving.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:37 pm

lemonpen wrote:Would you trade our 1st round pick and Tolliver for Frank Kaminsky.  The Hornets play a lot like OKC's 2 man show.   It leaves a lot of their players wandering around trying to get in where they fit in.

Just a thought.

And a great thought Lemonpen. Kaminsky is a smart player. He would be a great for the Pistons but what could we offer to get him?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty @ Lemonpen

Post  WTF Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:03 pm

I don't think he did as much as he might have could've done. Both Morris and Harris were great additions. SJ looks to be an okay draft pick but there's still the stench of Meeks and his handling of Moose that doesn't say executive of the year. Plus SVG needs to fire that damn head coach coach.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty SVG

Post  lemonpen Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:37 pm

I understand him receiving no votes for COY, but there should be a significant response for Executive of the Year.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Stuff

Post  Oracle Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 pm

@Wise - KCP doesn't fit the system? It's not a perfect fit, but his skills fit almost any decent system. The one area where I would say that if he improved, he's be a perfect fit is his 3 point shooting, and I believe it will be a lot better next season. In fact, I expect all of the starters to improve in that area! Confidence and accomplishments breed superior performances, and they're on their way.

You also pointed out something that bothered me after game 1... Over confidence! Reggie is always a victim of that, but it hit SVG & Stanley as well. Losing a game where you damn near led from wire to wire shouldn't make you froggy enough to leap to the conclusion that you're the better team. That will be corrected with experience, SVG has no excuse.

@Merc - Collison would be a good choice. Sessions is a free agent I believe, but he's likely going back to the Wizards, but I would like him as well. More of a scoring guard, but a good one.

@Lemonpen - A short playoff run, but an important one because the level of intensity was so high, it will have a lasting impression. We did the Cavs a huge favor because to beat us, they had to find a new identity, and they did. After never figuring out how best to use Love, they finally hit pay dirt! I'm picking them to beat the Spurs in the finals!

@Lemonpen 2 - Man, Frank "The Tank" Kaminsky would be a great fit next to Drummond! I always thought that, but we couldn't get both him and Stanley.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  lemonpen Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Would you trade our 1st round pick and Tolliver for Frank Kaminsky. The Hornets play a lot like OKC's 2 man show. It leaves a lot of their players wandering around trying to get in where they fit in.

Just a thought.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  lemonpen Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Was this the best 4 game stretch of ball played this season. Will they realize this is the level of discipline & effort it takes to really excel. If they do, we will host the first two games of our 2016-17 playoff campaign.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty I Concur

Post  lemonpen Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:09 pm

cool breeze wrote:I am a bit puzzled with some of the comments made relating to Jackson though out the season. Reggie has given his team what was needed this season. He reminded me a lot of Billups in his first season in Detroit. Reggie has won more games this season on guts alone that without him playing as the starting point guard, our Pistons would have been the same sorry team we watched a season ago before he arrived. He has made pressure free throws and has the best record in the last 3 minutes of games than any other point guard in the entire league. In this series against Cleveland, the game plan was to stop Jackson penetration and limit his scoring. That should tell us something Piston fans. The Cavs thought that Reggie was the most important player on the team. So how does that compute with some fans who keep saying that Reggie is a good back up but will never be a quality starting point guard. Again Reggie game the team what it needed at this specific time. Why not believe that Reggie will adjust his game once Stan Van Gundy gets more high end players on the team or current members become more of a threat get their asses open or get better at creating their own shots????

My complaint relating to Reggie Jackson is an easy fix. He needs to become an elite defender to get his team to the championship. He also needs to cut down on turnovers when running the offense. This guy has the heart of a winner. Relating to his potential as a defender, just look at his foot quickness and his amazing long arms. He should be on the NBA first team as a defender. Once Jackson gets more real studs or current players develop into incredible players, Jackson can settle into the role of a true point guard and spend more of his energy on defense and in crunch time play making as well as scoring. Jackson can become an All Star player but he will need to use every resource to get there. It is all up to him. Being that he hates to lose more than most players, I expect he will show his doubters a significant change if Stan Van Gundy and his current teammates do their jobs over the off season.

Most likely Harris will develop into a clutch crunch time play maker and scorer as well as a top notch defender. Van Gundy gets high marks on this steal of the century. Now if SVG can snag a solid two way power forward that fits this team along with some really good rotation players, the Pistons will roll. Of course Andre Drummond needs to get a lot better in several areas too. We may already have most of the pieces if the current players work their tails off this summer. If not Stan needs to explore all options and I am sure he is doing that now.

100%. We needed BIG NUTS in crunch time which he provided where no one else could have.

IMO a comparison of the guy we watched during the first 1/3 of the season versus playoff-guy offers enough evidence to indicate Reggie can be a leader, and maybe an exceptional one.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:02 pm

BallinD wrote: 

Next up, find a brain...but they are young and so, we will take the heart that they have found, and happily build upon that.  They can look for their brain, moving forward.

Ain't that the truth... even if it's expected to have mostly new teammates struggle to be cohesive, it looks like the #1 project is getting them to understand games situations and positioning. This team could easily win 50 games with proper coaching and time together.
It's hard to imagine Dre not improving his FT shooting... also with the new Hack-a-Shaq rules next year he can relax and stay in it til the end.
I'm glad they pulled the Cavs in the 1st round... it shined a bright light on what's missing.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Good Game, Great Heart

Post  BallinD Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:11 am

Congrats to the Pistons for playing the Cavs hard in every game and never saying die. This team has somehow found its Pistons DNA.

Next up, find a brain...but they are young and so, we will take the heart that they have found, and happily build upon that. They can look for their brain, moving forward.

BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:04 am

Most folks would agree the primary needs are at PF and PG... More specifically a PG & big that can defend and shoot with range... My pick would be Skal Labissiere. It would most likely require moving up a few spots.
If we went the PG route I'd look at Gary Payton II... He wears his Dad's glove (possibly our biggest need)... Maybe not the best shooter... But he has the pedigree and ability to score off his defense.
Ideally we'd use our cap or trades for a vet PG... Someone that can defend and shoot... Darren Collison would be a nice addition... He could run the team when RJ is off.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Not All That Swept Away

Post  WTF Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:45 pm

What I saw in the four loses was clearly a lack leadership from the main position (PG) not if the Brain Wizard will be coming before Lil Reggie's contract is done. This has been an on-going nail in my side all season long this lack of leadership sucks Reggie needs to get this together quickly or we need to trade him.

Okay Moose is gone and the middle is solely all Drummond's and this too is starting to irk me almost to the point that I reluctantly have thoughts of keeping Moose oppose to Andre.

All wasn't bad though because I was highly impressed with Morris and I can say that for most f the season. I sat and listen to all the naysayer's before the season started and all I can say is the kid stayed out of trouble, kept his nose clean and played hard. I like him and he's a keeper.

Tobias looks go in spots and I think he was still adapting to this team, but something in my gut tells me he will hit all star conversation next season and I'll hold out comments on SJ for now.

I 'll never be sold that KCP fits SVG system so we may need to make a move there. This brings me to SVG, I love his courage and moxie to make a move but his coaching I'll give 2 thumbs down. I scream about that later but there are question.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty I'm with you Fly, except for one thing!

Post  Oracle Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:37 pm

FlyDog wrote:I just can't be disappointed with how this season ended(Me either).  They fought the Cavs hard, and if JR Smith had missed some 3's, they would have stolen at least 2 games(Exactly! The Cavs shot like the Golden State Warriors, WTF is up with that???).

I do like our players, but there is some redundancy.  Some tough decisions lie ahead for SVG.  You can't start Harris or Morris at the PF position.  And I personally don't think Reggie is capable of running a winning team.  His spouting off about the refs only reinforces those thoughts for me.

I don't want Tolliver or Jerebco (He had his worst season this year.  He's gotten worse since leaving Detroit)(Those ships have sailed, IMO).  Goodbye Steve Blake(Ditto).  I don't want to see Dimwit or Meeks either(Bu Bye).  We need a Starting PG (Reggie as a supersub) and a starting PF (With hopefully keeping both guys).  Morris or Harris and Reggie off the bench would be huge.

I tend to agree with Don about Reggie! He's got the heart and the courage, now all we need is for the Wizard to give him a brain!

The Cavs took him away, figuring that the rest of the Pistons couldn't beat them, which was only partially true. If we had a bench, we easily win 2 games.

They took Drummond away too with the hacking! If we scored on the plays where he missed FT's we win by 10!

We can get better by subtracting the Toliver's, Blake's, Meeks, and other do nothing scrubs! Hey, maybe that last 20 point game by Meeks was what SVG wanted people to remember and drive up Meeks stock for a trade!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Reggie

Post  FlyDog Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Don, I am happy he is on the team. I also agree with about 90% of your post. I think his talents would be better served to just "Run wild". I'm not sold on the facts that he is smart enough or likes to share enough to run a consistently winning org. His incredible talent is undeniable. I'm not sure we should even try to harness him.
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Reggie Jackson's future as a Piston - We should be happy he is on our team

Post  cool breeze Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:05 pm

I am a bit puzzled with some of the comments made relating to Jackson though out the season. Reggie has given his team what was needed this season. He reminded me a lot of Billups in his first season in Detroit. Reggie has won more games this season on guts alone that without him playing as the starting point guard, our Pistons would have been the same sorry team we watched a season ago before he arrived. He has made pressure free throws and has the best record in the last 3 minutes of games than any other point guard in the entire league. In this series against Cleveland, the game plan was to stop Jackson penetration and limit his scoring. That should tell us something Piston fans. The Cavs thought that Reggie was the most important player on the team. So how does that compute with some fans who keep saying that Reggie is a good back up but will never be a quality starting point guard. Again Reggie game the team what it needed at this specific time. Why not believe that Reggie will adjust his game once Stan Van Gundy gets more high end players on the team or current members become more of a threat get their asses open or get better at creating their own shots????

My complaint relating to Reggie Jackson is an easy fix. He needs to become an elite defender to get his team to the championship. He also needs to cut down on turnovers when running the offense. This guy has the heart of a winner. Relating to his potential as a defender, just look at his foot quickness and his amazing long arms. He should be on the NBA first team as a defender. Once Jackson gets more real studs or current players develop into incredible players, Jackson can settle into the role of a true point guard and spend more of his energy on defense and in crunch time play making as well as scoring. Jackson can become an All Star player but he will need to use every resource to get there. It is all up to him. Being that he hates to lose more than most players, I expect he will show his doubters a significant change if Stan Van Gundy and his current teammates do their jobs over the off season.

Most likely Harris will develop into a clutch crunch time play maker and scorer as well as a top notch defender. Van Gundy gets high marks on this steal of the century. Now if SVG can snag a solid two way power forward that fits this team along with some really good rotation players, the Pistons will roll. Of course Andre Drummond needs to get a lot better in several areas too. We may already have most of the pieces if the current players work their tails off this summer. If not Stan needs to explore all options and I am sure he is doing that now.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Better'n I Thought

Post  FlyDog Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm

I just can't be disappointed with how this season ended. They fought the Cavs hard, and if JR Smith had missed some 3's, they would have stolen at least 2 games.

I do like our players, but there is some redundancy. Some tough decisions lie ahead for SVG. You can't start Harris or Morris at the PF position. And I personally don't think Reggie is capable of running a winning team. His spouting off about the refs only reinforces those thoughts for me.

I don't want Tolliver or Jerebco (He had his worst season this year. He's gotten worse since leaving Detroit). Goodbye Steve Blake. I don't want to see Dimwit or Meeks either. We need a Starting PG (Reggie as a supersub) and a starting PF (With hopefully keeping both guys). Morris or Harris and Reggie off the bench would be huge.
FlyDog
FlyDog

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Cavs Sweep Pistons ...

Post  Sebastian Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:17 pm

OUR Pistons at no level or individual that is on the roster and in the organization should never forget what just transpired, during these last seven days.

OUR season was ended in an unremarkable way and there have to be changes. (I'll return to this topic later.)

Opinions and Facts:

Dre - has got to improve his free-throw shooting plain and simple. He doesn't have to become Mark Price or Stephen Curry, but he has got to improve 20%-25%. Remember he is shooting 35% from the line. The obvious reason that Dre has to improve is because he can't be on the floor during critical stages of the game. Also he needs to improve, because it effects other parts of his game from an aggressiveness perspective. I don't have the numbers before me, but I bit anything that if his free throws would fall 63% of the time he would become the most unstoppable force in the NBA.

KCP - is just fine. He needs to get his body right over the off season, continue to work on his handle and shooting, and return a better defender, shooter, and scorer. Cut down on some three's and replace those shots with dribble drive moves. More free throws, next season KCP!

Tobias Harris - is OUR new go-to threat. The dude doesn't just settle for the three-point or long two shots. He has a very good dribble drive game. Like, KCP, more free throws next season! Oh, and Tobias is an excellent free-throw shooter.

Marcus Morris - played outside of his mind, this season. The dude played his azz off, this season; more minutes, points, rebounds, free-throws. Mo' is a really good player and compliment to Tobias. WE got something that no other team has in the League - two starting SFs.

Reggie - I still say that Reggie is better cast as a 6th-man. He will never have the mental and physical condition to run a team. He is just not a cerebral player. He is a Hero-Baller and that is okay, but as a 6th-man. GM Stan has got to find a starting PG.

Stanley - Needs to turn out the Summer League and this year OUR Pistons should play in both, the Orlando and Las Vegas leagues. Stanley should continue to receive 30 minutes at both the backup SG and SF positions. I am confident that "Build to Last" will return a more developed NBA player.

Baynes - is a keeper but not as the first Center off the bench.

F@ckin' Jodie Meeks - I guess Stan has told US what he thinks about his friend, Pay Day Jodie.

As if any of my Pistons Pals care, I will be posting my post season Personnel moves, later.
Sebastian
Sebastian

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Way to go Jonas Jerebco. You got screwed by the Piston organization

Post  cool breeze Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:15 pm

So who would you rather have on your team if you could only pick one of two players Anthony Tolliver or Jonas Jerebco? Did you see what Jonas did yesterday for Boston? How about Boston's coach who I think is the smartest and best coach in the NBA or college basketball? This coach has a lot of faith in Jonas where Stan Van Gundy and other head coaches were so fast to jerk him off the court for the slightest mistake. How about that big second half Stan? And do you think that Tolliver could have shut down Horeford the way Jonas did on defense? I was so pissed off with the way Stan Van Gundy handled Jonas Jerebco. He is a type of player who will give up his body every night if his coach shows just a little bit of faith in him. Jonas never got that in Detroit with the exception of his first season. I am so happy the fans in Boston love him and excited about him having a big part in the win on Sunday. There are many Jerebco fans in Detroit and many are still extremely pissed off with the decision making process that could have ever let him go. Jerebco is fundamentally sound. He does all the little things on both ends of the floor that get unnoticed by fans and even the coaching staff. Meanwhile, we have a 3rd rate 2nd unit with Anthony Tolliver's only strength being his occasional ability to hit 3 point shots. Anthony cannot play defense well. He is not fundamentally sound. He is not strong enough to play against most power forwards in the NBA. Why didn't the coach see that? What went wrong Stan? If Jerebco continues to shine, then all fingers should point to Stan Van Gundy being at fault for not securing real players to fill out the rotation.

While I am complaining of inept decision making by management, I should include the old mistake of giving away Amir Johnson. This guy can play. His coach has made him a better player. Meanwhile, since he left Detroit, we have seen a mixture of horrible players wearing the uniform in the big man positions.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Wisdom from talking heads?

Post  Oracle Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:58 pm

YES!

Barkley on the Pistons: They have great starters, and Stanley Johnson off the bench, but after that the drop off is way too dramatic.

IMO, that is the Pistons biggest offseason task! We can't burn out the starters because the bench is so weak. The Cavs bench is capable of beating a lot of teams first units, our bench regularly beats itself.

Other comments  were interesting as well. While Baynes does well, the drop off from Drummond is high.

Kenny commented that we have too many similar parts, which WILL cause problems as Stanley Johnson matures.

One of Morris or Harris is going to have to come off the bench, we can't go on this way. My preference is for Morris to come off the bench, but that's a hard sell when he's been the better player! But it isn't just the starters, we have a bunch of tweeners that play the same position on the bench.

Interesting times ahead, changes are coming, but this time, they're good changes!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Bullock

Post  lemonpen Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 pm

deusXango wrote:KCP: For all those who wanted more from this young man, I think he's given more, on the "big stage," where it counts. I see him finally growing up.

Morris and Harris: Sure we could use a bona fide PF but, I'm so impressed with these guys play (when they're rolling) that I feel it'd be foolish to give up on either one of them. Not only can they ball but, they're young veterans.

WTF was that?!: No Reggie Bullock? I know we all love the loud mouthed rookie but, damn, I don't see him outplaying Bullock for "the money!" It's no way in hell that if given the PT that SJ got in game 4, his contributions would have been equal to or less than what we got from Stanley....not saying that Johnson shouldn't have played but, 30 minutes and Bullock had none? Why was Blake stumbling around on the floor during our first playoff series, since I don't know when, and there sat Meeks (money) and Hilliard (promising future) who were both healthy? You can spin that sh!t anyway you want to but, it does not compute.

SVG: Not saying Van Gundy can't coach but, he seems to be a much better front office mind than coach, this has been demonstrated with his hiring of Bower; Detroit can do better (and should!) because, I just watched T. Lue out-coach him! I hope fans are not swayed by the argument, "he's the best we can do." To run this franchise for Tom Gores? Absolutely! To coach this team to a championship? Hell NO!

This has been a very satisfying year, in spite of the dumb-ass, unnecessary loses; we competed, made some astoundingly good acquisitions, identified some glaring weaknesses going forward, and competed! I can't remember when our team last put forth the Detroit type effort that this years team did. Regardless of my criticisms, my hats off to the DETROIT PISTONS.  

Reggie missed the final 2 games because of a nerve problem in one leg.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next