FORUM

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Exactly

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Oracle wrote:Will discover that ASSISTS are NOT an individual stat!

Calderon is going to struggle getting assists when playing with these butterfingered bricklayers in the starting unit!

The starting unit needs more shooters, and guys that can finish at the rim!

Oracle .. that is right .. Of course Knight is not a finished product as PG .. effort .. attitude .. talent ... speed .. great .. Intelligent .. above average .. Offensive system established by Frank .. well it has gone from terrible to sort of bad .. which is an improvement .. So .. that was another reason I was happy to see another PG hit the starters .. if only to show that Knight is NOT 90% of the reason the offense bogs down ...

Absolutely we need another shooter ... JMAX cannot shoot anything but a layup or dunk ...

But it is true that throwing a new player in as a starter after a 12 minute walk through has some danger to it ... I mean ... All this namby pamby caution with Drummond but after months of baby step minutes .. and then we just toss Calderon in there as a starter the first game .. Hells bells ..

But the Knicks are a DEEP team .. WELL-COACHED team ... Great system .. great talent that is ready NOW to kick butt . .Sum far greater than the parts ... We dont match up well with the Knicks because (1) . They have a head coach who is NOW WITH IT in every aspect of the game .. We got some bald short guy who is insecure with his lack of whatever ... and who still is behind the curve of just about every average fan in some ways of thinking..
and (2) ... The Knicks have vets who are AT THEIR PEAK as players OR very very very smart VETS who have changed their game to keep playing at a high level .. Pistons are young guys .. not as so smart .. just beginning to improve .. (3) Knicks have a superstar now to take them to the next level and through winning crunch time ... We aint got that yet ...

So our energy and depth doesnt mean as much vs the Knicks ..

Just about everyone has been screaming for more shooters on starters AND for Drummond to become a starter ASAP .. because (1) Jmax and Monroe CANNOT stretch the floor at all .. and (2) Drummond can change the game like on both ends with his unreal athleticism ...

I REALLY believe we win the Laker game if Drummond starts and plays 32 minutes or so ..

Frank and / or Joe are being stuck up sticky beats by holding Drummond back ... So Drummond gets tired sometimes? FINE .. then increase the time slowly .. but increase it .. He is 19 after all .. and not some 45 year old with a gut the size of a truck tire .. Drummond will rise to the challenge ...

So .. Frank is a duffus .. No team needs a dumbass head coach ..

Frank is getting better . but going from horrible to bad isnt much to enjoy ..

Just wait .. all this game will be about is the players didnt try hard enough or relaxed too much .. or gosh .. we just put in a new guy there ..

Never about strategy nor match ups nor team offensive system .. all of which Frank is responsible for ..

Nor about how dumb to just throw a new guy in as a starter from day 1 after 12 minutes of a walk through the offense .. Hell .. Sheed didnt even start his first game as a Piston ..
THIS TEAM NEEDS A BETTER HEAD COACH ..

I hope to see Frank improve much more by the end of the season than he has so far .. or he needs to be fired ..

A good coach is a must .. This guy has had more talent than Kuester or Curry and he is hardly better in results ...
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Some great points .

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 pm

cool breeze wrote:For the first 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter Detroit's offense went into a funk. So I started watching carefully as to why such a breakdown was occurring. Could it be all Brandon Knight's fault? For sure his shooting touch was missing in that game. However, the breakdown was not because Knight has no idea as to how to play point guard. It was because everyone with the exception of Kyle Singler were not moving on offense. Monroe looked like he was having problems keeping his eyes open or was he sleep walking? It looked like he was almost walking down the court when Detroit was on offense and failed to set up at his designed spots on the floor. That was one problem and then there was Maxiell who was also having problems running the floor as well. But it was Stuckey that caught my eye. I started to just watch Stuckey on offense for those 6 minutes. At no time did Stuckey demand the basketball. He never set a screen or moved from his initial spot on the baseline. He never attempted to help Knight out at all. Singler was running all around the floor trying hard to get open. Knight was left to dribble around to both sides until late in the shot clock, Monroe would pop out but be too far out to do anything effective. Then as soon as Bynum came in the game, Knight started to move and do the things he is paid so well to do. Stuckey has always been a sensitive guy who is extremely moody when it comes to playing ball in a consistant way. He has all the ability in the world but something has soured his desire to become the player he could become. Is he jealous of the attention Knight got the previous game when he almost got a triple double? It sure looked like there were several Piston players who had been out to a late night party and somehow forgot they had an early game. Only a few guys like Kurk Gibson are able to pull it together after staying up all night and not bothering to go to bed before a game. The great thing for basketball fans is that there are only 5 guys on the team you care about who are playing on the floor during a game. It is easy to see who is working and who cares and who doesn't care and only plays in spurts.

Hey Don .. Great Points ...

I have been rewatching the latest Cav game and Singler impressed the hell out of me .. He was everywhere ... always around the ball ... saving bad plays from being turnovers ... covering for other players on defense .. .. always moving without the ball and setting screens .. moving the ball .. moving the ball .. running the floor ..

Then i started watching Jmax chug around .. He looked out of shape ... out of breath ..

Stuckey even in that game looks like he doesnt want the ball .. AFRAID!

I disagree on Monroe .. I think the guy works his butt off .. but takes on much of the brunt of the defense because our opponents are NOT afraid of our outside shooting ..

Overall .. I like the way the team is evolving . BUT IT SURE HAS TAKEN A LONG TIME FOR JOE OR FRANK to realize that the old vets like Prince and Jmax .. good guys who do their best .. but WERE AND ARE in the way of team development ...

The next steps HAVE to be to bench Jmax and start Drummond .. I would also .. gasp ... play CV and Bynum more to get that outside shooting ..

I am not at all certain that Frankless will figure that out anytime soon .. because he doesnt want to see what an idiot he has been over the past season or so on these points ..
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  merc on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Calderon is going to struggle getting assists when playing with these butterfingered bricklayers in the starting unit!

Well said brother
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jerebko

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Showed me why we were in love with him in the first place!

The dude is everywhere and very active on the boards!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I said it first .. not as eloquently .. but .. ;)

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 pm

merc wrote:

Well said brother

Wink
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kravtsov...

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Even in short minutes, always looks goo to me!

He had 2 dudes on him, but didn't panic, went to the hole and calmly scored!

This kid needs to be the FIRST big off the bench when Drummond starts... as Merc said, it's time to move on from Maxiell!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JJ

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Oracle wrote:Showed me why we were in love with him in the first place!

The dude is everywhere and very active on the boards!

Made a statement today .. In terms of effort .. Reminds one of Singler .. in that both guys leave it all on the floor ..

Dont you feel foolish Frank? The head coach is not a bean counter job where you hand out or take away minutes based on perceived good plays or mistakes ... Help the player improve and get him back out there to kick some butt ..

I didnt see the game .. but WTF! Drummond got 8 minutes? Injury or stupidity? Hope it is just Frank being a jackass ..
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grizz

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:01 pm

We're sitting on a LOT of frontcourt talent in Kravtsov & Drummond, both of these guys are NBA ready a lot sooner than anybody thought!

I think JJ does leave it all on the floor and can impact the game in ways Singler doesn't, but it's not at all flashy.

Calderon will get better, but Monroe really needs to get better handles, and mor confidence in his moves!

I'm dubious about Knight as a SG!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Point Guard & Center: Two hard positions...

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 pm

To learn, but in our case, to forget!

Most people talk about how hard the PG & Center position is to master, but the flip side is also true.

If you've been a PG or Center for most or all of your playing life, it's hard to be productive if you aren't playing that position.

For PG's, it's rough because your entire rhythym as a player comes from having the ball, and when you have to do other things to get it, it's difficult.

For Centers it's tough to adapt your instincts to do what you've never had to do, guard further out from the basket.

That's why I think Knight would be better served learning from the bench where he could remain a PG.

Last edited by Oracle on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

newest bigs ..

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 pm

Oracle wrote:We're sitting on a LOT of frontcourt talent in Kravtsov & Drummond, both of these guys are NBA ready a lot sooner than anybody thought!

I think JJ does leave it all on the floor and can impact the game in ways Singler doesn't, but it's not at all flashy.

Calderon will get better, but Monroe really needs to get better handles, and mor confidence in his moves!

I'm dubious about Knight as a SG!

Oracle .. glad to hear about Kravtsov looking good so far ..

Was Drummond Injuried or thrown out of the game? Couldnt handle Chandler at all? 8 minutes?

I still believe in Knight as a PG .. If he can have great some games .. why not good or average in most games?

Either Knight is a loser or the head coach is .. I think the later is true ..

Still glad Calderon is around .. Think it helps the team evolve ... But ... if it means Knight just plays SG .. that is a disaster probably .. for him and the team .. This should be a dual PG approach .. like the Knicks use ..

But that would mean having a head coach who could think and breathe at the same time ...
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Probably true ..

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Oracle wrote:To learn, but in our case, to forget!

Most people talk about how hard the PG & Center position is to master, but the flip side is also true.

If you've bee a PG or Center for most or all of your playing life, it's hard to be productive if you aren't playing that position.

For PG's, it's rough because your entire rhythym as a player comes from having the ball, and when you have to do other things to get it, it's difficult.

For Centers it's tough to adapt you instincts to do what you've never had to do, guard further out from the basket.

That's why I think Knight would be better served learning from the bench where he could remain a PG.

Maybe a dual PG is impossible with Frank as a head coach .... I wont argue that Knight should not go to the bench .. In that case .. who do we start instead? English? Stuckey? Bynum? ... I guess we have a pile up at guard nowadays .. I would still like to have the dual PG approach as the knicks and clippers use but that may be too much to hope for where one PG is so green .... and one head coach is not the brightest light in the sky ..

But replacing Jmax still is an even higher priority IMO ... Drummond or a shooter ..
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Drummond

Post  merc on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Pretty young to be experiencing back problems... it's a lot of stress jumping with 297 lbs.... I prefer to see him around 280.
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Calderon

Post  merc on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Too bad they fumbled about 4 of his passes... woulda be a nice stat line without practice.
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Calderon

Post  Sparma on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 pm

He looked like he was going to get off to a great starter as passer, with a pass inside to Maxiell straight away (for a missed short shot) and a pass to Monroe (who missed the lay up). By my count, he had 4 or 5 nice passes in the 1st quarter which put guys in pretty good spots, but none scored.

As if realizing the limits of passing on the night, he started shooting more, and well, hitting 7 of his first 10 (missing his last two).

He had the ball maybe 25-30 feet from the basket repeatedly, with no one moving.

Maybe in response to the completely stagnant offense, he started run a lot, creating more movement than anyone else.

He then played little, if at all, down to stretch, as I recall.

A respectable stat line with 15 points on efficient shooting, only 3 assists, but no turnovers.

This is going to be interesting.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Update ..

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 pm

merc wrote:Pretty young to be experiencing back problems... it's a lot of stress jumping with 297 lbs.... I prefer to see him around 280.

thanks for the update Merc ... Hope AD gets better soon .. Not sure if Drummond looks over weight .. doesnt seem to be .. lighter is better ... Wish I could get down to 280 pounds ..
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Encouraging ..

Post  Grizz2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:42 pm

Sparma wrote:He looked like he was going to get off to a great starter as passer, with a pass inside to Maxiell straight away (for a missed short shot) and a pass to Monroe (who missed the lay up). By my count, he had 4 or 5 nice passes in the 1st quarter which put guys in pretty good spots, but none scored.

As if realizing the limits of passing on the night, he started shooting more, and well, hitting 7 of his first 10 (missing his last two).

He had the ball maybe 25-30 feet from the basket repeatedly, with no one moving.

Maybe in response to the completely stagnant offense, he started run a lot, creating more movement than anyone else.

He then played little, if at all, down to stretch, as I recall.

A respectable stat line with 15 points on efficient shooting, only 3 assists, but no turnovers.

This is going to be interesting.

Sparma .. all good to hear ... thanks for the report on him for those who didnt see the game ... our guys need to get used to each other .. will take a few games so will be patient ... As much as I like Knight .. I am glad he is here ...
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Calderon

Post  merc on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 am

This should be a good fit... on the P&R if he's doubled he simply steps back and surveys the floor... this leaves their big on an island.
I've heard he dribbles a little too much which can effect the shot clock...his game reminds me of Chauncey on offense.

Last edited by merc on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grizz

Post  Sparma on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 am

You're welcome. My report was probably overly schematic, but it struck me that his game went through stages.

One thing I'll credit him with is making adjustments on the fly, something our coach rarely does. It does seem to me he was looking to pass first, but realizing that wasn't working, he shot quite a bit. And that when he saw no one was moving he started running a lot, off the ball. Passing, shooting, and running are all parts of his game, but he seemed to adjust to the game situation (to little avail).

As others have said, I think Calderon would benefit a lot from having Drummond in there with him, along with Monroe.

Drummond's height and athleticism provide the equivalent of ball movement for the PG: there's consistently a good 1st or 2nd option open (and I hope AD's back is okay). Also, I believe the reports that Calderon's weak on D (although he looked spritely tonight) and that he would benefit a lot from AD behind him.

(Admittedly, I'm also reluctant to move AD away from Bynum, because they've been a dynamic duo).

Some of those early mishandles and clunkers would ordinarily go in. I'm really looking forward to Calderon getting the ball to Monroe at the right time, in the right place, which should help make Monroe a more efficient passer.

Calderon's not a savior, as Sebastian noted. I found myself hoping he'd sprint to the basket a la Knight and Stuckey, but I'm afraid we see little of that from him (he did sprint by the mismatched (but otherwise outstanding!) Chandler for a nice close score.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

many interesting observations . thanks Sparma!

Post  Grizz2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 am

Sparma wrote:You're welcome. My report was probably overly schematic, but it struck me that his game went through stages.

One thing I'll credit him with is making adjustments on the fly, something our coach rarely does. It does seem to me he was looking to pass first, but realizing that wasn't working, he shot quite a bit. And that when he saw no one was moving he started running a lot, off the ball. Passing, shooting, and running are all parts of his game, but he seemed to adjust to the game situation (to little avail).

As others have said, I think Calderon would benefit a lot from having Drummond in there with him, along with Monroe.

Drummond's height and athleticism provide the equivalent of ball movement for the PG: there's consistently a good 1st or 2nd option open (and I hope AD's back is okay). Also, I believe the reports that Calderon's weak on D (although he looked spritely tonight) and that he would benefit a lot from AD behind him.

(Admittedly, I'm also reluctant to move AD away from Bynum, because they've been a dynamic duo).

Some of those early mishandles and clunkers would ordinarily go in. I'm really looking forward to Calderon getting the ball to Monroe at the right time, in the right place, which should help make Monroe a more efficient passer.

Calderon's not a savior, as Sebastian noted. I found myself hoping he'd sprint to the basket a la Knight and Stuckey, but I'm afraid we see little of that from him (he did sprint by the mismatched (but otherwise outstanding!) Chandler for a nice close score.

Frank has some things to think about .. Scary thought .. but overall .. glad Calderon is here ... Even if Drummond cannot replace Jmax because of injury or coach's stubborness .... I just am not happy with him mucking up the offense .. Suggest JJ start instead .. Would even consider CV...
Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  merc on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:50 am

Stellar defense on Melo... held him below his avg Razz
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More JC

Post  merc on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 am

Pulled a Lee and watched the game again... wanted to get a 2nd look at JC... Other than missing a couple shots he played almost a flawless game... what surprised me was how well he moved his feet on defense (at least this game)... he got beat off the dribble only 2 times.... always checking to see where the screen was coming from.
He played a great offensive game... his passes were on time and on the money without exception.
The guy that played lost was Knight... maybe he was having a hard time not controlling the ball.
All and all very satisfied with his first game... let's see what he does after one practice.
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Still wating for Drummonds to start??? What's the hold up?

Post  Phil1980boy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:19 am

Still waiting... You have your center. You have your Power Forward. You have A pure Point Guard. You have your up and coming PG. You have some good, young role players.. So what's the problem?? Your losing games anyways.

What's the problem Coach Frank?? Why is Drummonds still coming off the bench? Your starting to really hold this kid back in my opinion.

G.Monroe and Drummond need to start working together full time.

Somebody tell me what the hold up is again??? scratch
Phil1980boy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Frank is dumbest

Post  Grizz2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 am

Phil1980boy wrote:Still waiting... You have your center. You have your Power Forward. You have A pure Point Guard. You have your up and coming PG. You have some good, young role players.. So what's the problem?? Your losing games anyways.

What's the problem Coach Frank?? Why is Drummonds still coming off the bench? Your starting to really hold this kid back in my opinion.

G.Monroe and Drummond need to start working together full time.

Somebody tell me what the hold up is again??? scratch

Phillip .. Hold up is Frankless

[Only admins are allowed to see this link][Only admins are allowed to see this link]

EVEN HAROLD AND LLOYD KNOW DRUMMOND SHOULD START![b]

Grizz2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Merc

Post  Oracle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:24 am

merc wrote:Pulled a Lee and watched the game again... wanted to get a 2nd look at JC... Other than missing a couple shots he played almost a flawless game... what surprised me was how well he moved his feet on defense (at least this game)... he got beat off the dribble only 2 times.... always checking to see where the screen was coming from.
He played a great offensive game... his passes were on time and on the money without exception.
The guy that played lost was Knight... maybe he was having a hard time not controlling the ball.
All and all very satisfied with his first game... let's see what he does after one practice.

Yeah, I noticed that too, and I'll even go as far as to say he looked and behaved like a REALLY good defender, I was shocked!

Everything went great, except for the fact that he should have had 4 or 5 more assists, but his scoring was good.

JC has a good shot, and what I really like is that he's constantly probing and looking for the open man, and will generally only take a shot under 3 circumstances.

1. If the clock is low, and someone has to shoot
2. Nobody is open, or
3. The shot he has is just too good to pass up.

I'm not bothered by his pounding the ball too much if it's for the right reasons, but in this game, he mixed it up between him probing through the shot clock, and creating opportunities by moving the ball. he knows that moving it will usually find its way back to him if nothing is happening.

BTW, and this is important! I'm not sure that having two "PG's" in the starting lineup, if Calderon is one of them, is a good idea! Why? Because the 2nd PG isn't needed, and is in the way! You only need one driver if he's a good one, and backseat drivers always gum up the works.

I said all of that to say that Knight needs to be the first PG off the bench, or included with Bynum where their styles and speed(causing havoc) work a bit better, IMO! Plus it allows Knight to observe and learn better.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sparma

Post  Oracle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:35 am

I'm seconding what Grizz said, you had some really good observations.

"Calderon's not a savior, as Sebastian noted. I found myself hoping he'd sprint to the basket a la Knight and Stuckey, but I'm afraid we see little of that from him (he did sprint by the mismatched (but otherwise outstanding!) Chandler for a nice close score." - Sparma

That's true, but I'm also more encouraged after seeing what he's capable of providing to this team!

If we can stop the fumbling, we could close out the season on a high note, even though the playoffs are the longest of shots.

I'm still waiting for Monroe to regain the form and consistency he showed in his first two years. What's wrong with him, he was so SOLID, and now he's maybe solid every other game. I'm baffled!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum