Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+16
Sebastian
Lobo
merc
Sparma
cool breeze
Fennis Dembo
FlyDog
Rett
deusXango
Murph
Oracle
Flip
Sissy1946
Grizz
frankied
WTF
20 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  frankied Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 pm

grizz,
i generally agree with your view.
i would, however, try to set up more 3 point shots for both gordon and knight. especially gordon, cause that is the best way to use him. if he's not hurting teams with that 3 point shot, his usefulness is very limited. it might also keep him from dribbling around as much, which is definitely something i'd want to limit.
and i would love it if the team ran more pick and rolls, but unfortunately, they don't really have a guy, this year, who has shown he is really good at running it. it takes a guard who makes good, quick, smart decisions and no one really fits that description.
t-mac was a master, last year.
maybe walker russell can run them. last night, a buddy from indiana was telling me that a friend of his from ft. wayne - where the d-league's mad ants are located - was raving about russell, saying he was really very good and he was interested to see what russell would do with the pistons. russell might be an excellent pick and roll guy and if he is, by all means, let's go!
heck, i would really like to see monroe run the pick and roll, as the man with the ball and not as the screener. he is the best decision-maker on the team, and i think it would really be extremely effective, as no team would be prepared to have their center defend monroe out on the open floor if he's out there waiting for stuckey to set a pick and then roll to the basket. monroe would have a huge advantage and it would also get their big man away from the basket, always a good thing.
you could, in fact, incorporate lots of pick and rolls into an offense that also utilized the 3 pointer a lot. youi'd have to run them from the top of the key, rather than from the side, which is what the team does now. if you ran them from the top of the key, you could set up shooters in each corner, and have one stationed just to the left or right of the circle.
MORE PICK AND ROLLS!!!!
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Is it True What Kuester Said to Fat Joe?

Post  Sissy1946 Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Kuester Kuester Sez: Joe Joe What have you done to this team since I've left? Yeah you know that's right agrees Sheed. afro Your given me a case of the Azz Joe Sez Sheed.
Sissy1946
Sissy1946

Back to top Go down

Post  frankied Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:32 pm

BTW, i think it was dumb for joe to try to fashion a team after orlando's. but he said that is what he wanted to do.
i don't like the concept. it's ok to have that capacity and have that as part of your offensive package, but i don't believe in stretch 4's and all that jazz.
give me a tim duncan - or a greg monroe - at the 4 and i'll take that any day.
what is so weird is that he seems to have successfully constructed that kind of team, but there is a disconnect and the coach is not setting up coaching schemes for that kind of team.
that is what is so weird so far.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

Post  frankied Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:50 pm

was just reading about the knicks/nuggets game and came across the fact that afflalo was named the nuggets captain this summer.
he's considered the team leader.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Murph wrote:Does anyone realize that through 12 games, Stuckey is shooting 43%from 3 pt land this season? Evidently, Stuckey has been working on his shot. thumbs up
He shot well last year when he played SG.... he can relax more now without the fulltime PG burden.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Captain

Post  Grizz Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:26 am

frankied wrote:was just reading about the knicks/nuggets game and came across the fact that afflalo was named the nuggets captain this summer.

Frankie .. I wish AA was the team captain for the Pistons .. due to his Leadership and defense and efficient shooting .. we could use those here .. .. that being said .. who could end up being the Piston's captain? Guess someone who can walk the walk and can lead .. too early to know who that is .. Guess becoming a decent team first is necessary before a captain can emerge .. No idea at the moment ..
Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

Post  merc Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 am

Looking forward to Stuckey vs AA.
merc
merc

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty captain?

Post  frankied Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:55 am

Grizz wrote:
frankied wrote:was just reading about the knicks/nuggets game and came across the fact that afflalo was named the nuggets captain this summer.

Frankie .. I wish AA was the team captain for the Pistons .. due to his Leadership and defense and efficient shooting .. we could use those here .. .. that being said .. who could end up being the Piston's captain? Guess someone who can walk the walk and can lead .. too early to know who that is .. Guess becoming a decent team first is necessary before a captain can emerge .. No idea at the moment ..
brandon knight.
don't know if you are a hockey fan, but years ago, when stevie yzerman was only 21 years old, jacques demers made him the captain of the red wings. lots of people thought he was crazy to give that responsibility to such a young, quiet guy.
but it turned out to be a brilliant choice. absolutely brilliant.
maybe not this year, but maybe next year - depending on how things go this year - or two years from now, i'd like to see knight named as the captain. he seems to have real leadership qualities. a bit more than monroe. i just like the intensity and competitiveness that comes to the fore every once in a while.
that type of intensity is what you want in a leader.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

Post  frankied Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 am

merc wrote:Looking forward to Stuckey vs AA.
that will be fun to watch.
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty The Stuckmeister

Post  deusXango Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:43 am

Murph wrote:Does anyone realize that through 12 games, Stuckey is shooting 43%from 3 pt land this season? Evidently, Stuckey has been working on his shot. thumbs up
That's GREAT! I really hope that he continues to improve in all areas; we need him.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  deusXango Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 am

frankied wrote:
i originally got this link over at pistonpowered.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
it raises a simple point: why doesn't the team shoot more 3 pointers considering that it is one of the better 3 point shooting teams in the league? it was written by a national writer, so obviously someone outside of the fan base wonders about this also.
money quote:
"[Daye's] far from the only problem, but Daye certainly contributes to the fact that Detroit ranks 26th in 3-point shooting rate – the percentage of the team’s total field goal attempts used on 3-pointers – despite being the 11th best team in the league in 3-point shooting percentage. Ben Gordon, Brandon Knight, and Tayshaun Prince have all been very accurate from the perimeter this season, but the Pistons haven’t quite figured out how to best use their — and Daye’s, based on his nonslump shooting marks – focused long-range strengths to the team’s advantage."
interestingly, joe seems to have the orlando-like team he said he wanted to build - and the above note does not even include CV - but the coach has not figured out how to use the talent. they have a big man, monroe, who commands a lot of attention - like orlando - and they have lots of 3 point shooters who can shoot the long ball - like orlando - but they don't shoot the 3 point shot very often. go figure.
something is wrong with that picture...
Frankie D, I get no indication that Lil' Larry has our team working on offensive schemes as much as he's preaching defense. Defense is something that can't be ignored but the name of this game is get the ball in the hole. I've been wondering why we're averaging 85 pts. a game. Suspect
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty guess who?

Post  deusXango Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:05 am

frankied wrote:came across this and found it was interesting.
two national writers are discussing a player. one writer is criticizing the player; the second writer is defending him, essentially.
does it sound familiar?
guess who they are discussing?

this is the first writer:

"But here's the crux of the matter: [player x] struggles with decision-making, which is the most critical element of a point guard's game. In fact, he is one of the worst decision-makers in the league, often driving and shooting and acting as if he's the team's best and No. 1 option when, in fact, he should be setting up his teammates........
I mean, come on: He has only five assists per game? And with [player x's] quickness and ability to get into the lane, he should be getting [player a] and [player b] a few easy buckets every game.
But because at this point he is just an incredibly explosive athlete rather than a polished basketball player (especially for a point guard), he doesn't yet know how to best utilize his ability for the sake of the team and his teammates.
All this is made evident by his absolutely horrible assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.57. ...
Eighteen point guards are averaging more assists .... Eighteen! ..... how about running the damn offense? Yet [player x] finds a way to shoot it more than 16 times per night (more than all but 10 players in the league -- and more than any point guard) even though he's hitting just 43 percent of his shots. Plus, he's a terrible 3-point shooter (23 percent).

this is what the second writer says:

'Does [player x's] decision-making need to improve? No question. He still goes off the rails at times.
But [player x] isn't a traditional point guard, he's just a relentless attacker who is still learning to harness his phenomenal athleticism. He doesn't see the floor as well as the top point guards do.....
..... it leaves [player x], whose sheer speed and size are a tough match for every point guard in the league, to do all the creating. On a lot of nights, he doesn't have a choice but to push the envelope and attack the crowded paint; without a post-up threat and opponents jumping [player c] coming off screens, the [team] [is] taking all challenged jump shots if [player x] doesn't try to break somebody down.

[player x], on the other hand...... rarely smiles, and there's nothing subtle about his game most nights; he's going to beast you every chance he gets. [player x] plays through all the criticism and the scrutiny ...and just keeps coming. Because he, [player c] and everyone else in the [team] organization knows if he doesn't, their offense stagnates.

Whoever was being discussed I noticed that the writer defending him couldn't help but criticize (player X) also. Something is really wrong when the best that can be said for you is negative.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  frankied Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 am

DX,
he could make things really simple if he would just start running everything through monroe. just put monroe at the high post, toss him the ball, and let guys screen, cut to the basket, spot up for jumpers and then let monroe either find them for a shot or let him get his own shot.
when you have a big guy like him, it makes everything a whole lot easier. it would pick up the pace of their offense, which is definitely needed. they could put that in in a morning walkaround.
now, they use him as a distributor, maybe 25% of the time, and the rest of the time, the guards run a few sets that usually take lots of time and often don't work.
so far, their best offense is usually out of any set where monroe handles the ball, or whenever stuckey or knight simply heads to the basket in a mad dash. otherwise, it is usually either tay or gordon dribbling around until they get their shot.
simplicity is often best, especially when you don't have lots of time for practice. the simplest and most efficient thing they can do now is to let monroe handle the ball everytime downcourt and let him decide where it's going
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty GREG MONROE

Post  deusXango Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:31 am

Without a doubt Frankie, Monroe should be the primary facilitator, and the majority of the teams set plays flow through him. He's the best passer on the team and he makes sounder decisions with the ball. He also represents our post game. It hasn't escaped me that Monroe is the man!
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Can We Play? We'll Kick These Youngin's Azz

Post  Sissy1946 Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:45 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link] Laimbeer, Dumars, Has Ben Walrus, Isiah, Princess, Chauncey & Chuckles Daly. Want Some, Come Get Some.
Sissy1946
Sissy1946

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Joe Needs His Buddy's Laimbeer & Thomas

Post  Sissy1946 Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:50 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link] What a Team, Hey? afro
Sissy1946
Sissy1946

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Bad As We Wanted to Be

Post  Sissy1946 Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link] Remember these guys had a few bigs Joe.
Sissy1946
Sissy1946

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Now Thats How You Put a Team Together, Right Trader Jack Mc

Post  Sissy1946 Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 am

[Only admins are allowed to see this link] Championships, Who ya Gonna Call?
Sissy1946
Sissy1946

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Sissy

Post  Oracle Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Bro, thanks for the trip down memory lane, I enjoyed it!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Oracle Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 pm

deusXango wrote:Without a doubt Frankie, Monroe should be the primary facilitator, and the majority of the teams set plays flow through him. He's the best passer on the team and he makes sounder decisions with the ball. He also represents our post game. It hasn't escaped me that Monroe is the man!

I agree, let's see if he can distribute like Chris Webber did for us until Chauncey got green eyed and put a stop to it!

The real question is, how long will it take for them to get as smart as the posters on almost every Piston board?
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Oracle wrote:
deusXango wrote:Without a doubt Frankie, Monroe should be the primary facilitator, and the majority of the teams set plays flow through him. He's the best passer on the team and he makes sounder decisions with the ball. He also represents our post game. It hasn't escaped me that Monroe is the man!

I agree, let's see if he can distribute like Chris Webber did for us until Chauncey got green eyed and put a stop to it!

The real question is, how long will it take for them to get as smart as the posters on almost every Piston board?

Before we can say Monroe is the MAN, he needs to bring it on the defensive boards every night. For me, it is difficult to determine how effective Monroe is as a passer on this team, because much of the time, none of the players move well without the basketball. I agree that once Detroit gets more capable players who are hungry players and not just going through the motions, Monroe's passing skills will have more value. Over most of the games, our bigs including Monroe, seem to be out of gas at the end of the 1st quarter. My bet is that Monroe will be a complete player next season and then he will be really fun to watch.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Pistons need to keep losing and get lucky to somehow get one of the first 2 picks in the draft

Post  cool breeze Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:27 pm

I just checked NBA Draft Net and they have the Pistons picking number 4 and taking Harrison Barnes who is another small forward. Barnes is listed as only 6 foot 8 inches. Although Barnes is a good player, he doesn't fit Piston needs. This source has the Pistons taking Damian Lillard from Weber State. Lillard is a real good tough point guard but my bet is that we will be watching Knight, Stuckey, Gordon, and Bynum for another season unless Dumars can trade either Stuckey or Gordon. It had better not be Knight or that will be it for me as a fan. If Detroit cannot get Drummond, who do you think would fit the Pistons best? There is Anthony Davis who is a PF out of Kentucky - Perry Jones C from Baylor - Andre Moultrie PF Miss St - Jared Sullinger PF Ohio State - Meyers Leonard PF,C Illinois - John Henson PF,C N Carolina - or Robert Sacre C Gonzaga. Maybe one of those bigs will fall to Detroit in the 2nd round. Who will Dumars select? According to Flip, Dumars has his focus on that amazing Middle Eastern star. If you haven't watched that video, please do before making your decisions.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  frankied Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Oracle wrote:

oracle,
you remember that also?
chauncey was out for a few games because of an injury, and in those games, webber ran the offense beautifully. what made it nice was that the team was able to get valuable time out of him, in that role as distributor.
but when chauncey came back, no way was he going to let that go on, and he put a stop to it.
end of high post offense.
and webber never got back to his level of play.
one of those things i won't forgive chauncey for...
frankied
frankied

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty DIDNT WE HAVE A HEAD COACH THEN TO MAKE A FINAL DECISION ON THAT? Dont see it as Billups fault for not integrating the strengths of both players.

Post  Grizz Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 pm

frankied wrote:
Oracle wrote:

oracle,
you remember that also?
chauncey was out for a few games because of an injury, and in those games, webber ran the offense beautifully. what made it nice was that the team was able to get valuable time out of him, in that role as distributor.
but when chauncey came back, no way was he going to let that go on, and he put a stop to it.
end of high post offense.
and webber never got back to his level of play.
one of those things i won't forgive chauncey for...

Last edited by Grizz on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grizz
Grizz

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:45 pm

This give away by our fearless leader, Mr. Dumars still makes me ill regarding the Affalo give away. One of the posters informed that Dumars hands were tied because he couldn't sign Affalo. That makes no sense unless you believe that Affalo has limited value to a team. He has proved otherwise in Colorado. I have followed Affalo since he was in high school and was so excited when the Pistons drafted him. I actually started to think that Dumars was actually doing his homework. However, Dumars house cleaning of Billups and Affalo brought me back down to Earth. As Dr. Evil once said, "Why am I surrounded by IDIOTS?" That is what Mr. Gores must be thinking when he studies Piston history over the past few seasons. Affalo is a leader and has always been the leader on every team he has played on except the Pistons. Dumars wanted Stuckey to be his leader and thus had to remove Billups and Affalo to try to make that happen. Some of you are all excited about the last game and how well Stuckey performed. Remember that is only one game in how many games that Stuckey has played in over the past 3 years. He has never played very hard for two games in a row. Stuckey is gifted but will he do the work it takes to become a real player the team can count on every game? Dumars has risked everything on the belief that Stuckey can be a different player than he has been. He had very little to risk by making sure Affalo didn't leave Detroit. I once flew back to Tucson from Metro Airport when Affalo was a Piston. It was just after Detroit lost that playoff game to Boston at the Palace in the playoffs. I looked up while sitting with the common folks flying Southwest Airlines, and Arron Affalo walked by. That is Mr. Affalo sports fans. He is down to Earth, smart and not full of himself. He is always trying to improve in every way. It just sucks that Dumars doesn't know his players very well.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next