FORUM

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  frankied on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:59 pm

@flydog
this is what i said, after i realized the schedule:
"its gonna be ugly. only hope is this is last game of 6 game road trip and sometimes teams think about getting home and come up flat. otherwise, a true buttkickin is in store."
if you've watched nba ball for a while you are very aware of this phenomena.
its a scheduling loss for a team. as a pistons' fan, we've seen them go on long west coast trips and even during their best years when their trips have been good, that last game has always been a stinker. it just happens. there are many types of scheduling losses in the league - eg, a team travels for the second game of a back-to-back, which was also the case yesterday - and bettors know and follow those trends.
and there is no doubt that the team - portland - suffered from that problem.
they were lethargic and slow and instead of working the ball inside, they threw up 3 pointers and shot a horrible percentage - 3/20 - on them. but still kept throwing them up because they were to lazy to pound the pistons interior.
also, gerald wallace, a guy who punks tay, was a late game scratch.
i loved that they won, especially because it gives me bragging rights here for the next year - i don't think the pistons come out to PDX this year.
but i understand what went on last night, and what i said about portland and their road trip undoubtedly played a huge role in what happened.
regarding stuckey, he is what he is.
he won't hit all those 3 pointers every game and he won't score that number of points every game, but he does what he does - and doesn't do what he can't do well - pretty consistently. sometimes he is not the prettiest player out there, but i'm always mystified at those who claim, despite his numbers, that he stinks.
again, he's not the best guard out there, and he has been horribly miscast by the team, but he's proved, imho, that he's a quality nba player.
and, most importantly, if used correctly, he can be a very valuable player for the team.
i don't usually post much about stuckey because i get tired of defending him. it ends up being a pointless argument because i'm never going to change anyone's mind. sorta like when i argued that the pistons should do what they could do to make sure afflalo became a starter - even trying to refashion him as a point guard - or that joe dumars was the best player on the old bad boys teams.
i still believe that stuff, just like i think that stuckey is a quality, valuable member of the team, if used correctly. this fan LOVES his game, even if it is kind of rough around the edges, and it is great to see him play well.
avatar
frankied

Posts : 514
Join date : 2011-12-15
Location : Portland, Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Walker and Wilkins in and Charlie V, Gordon, and Bynum out please!

Post  cool breeze on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Everyone in this forum seems to believe that justice should prevail. Regardless of the contracts Dumars has foolishly given to Charlie V and Ben Gordon, the truth comes out eventually. The truth actually was evident to most Piston fans after the first month after Charlie V and Gordon arrived in Detroit. We fans don't want to watch them and we want them out of Piston basketball. Hopefully, Charlie V will not be able to play for the Pistons this entire season. While I have witnessed Ben Gordon trying harder to compete on defense at times this season, he has become a slacker instead of a leader over the past two weeks. Maybe his shoulder has caused his poor effort of late, but I just do not believe he fits in with Knight very well so Dumars needs to find him a new home or not put pressure on Franks to play him. You can bet that wherever Gordon lands, he will somehow have a good year during the last year of his contract. Dumars was tricked big time regarding Gordon. While I am not a true blue Stuckey fan, he is clearly at a different level than the three who must go. Stuckey has never been consistant as a Piston. It seems that other posters believe that he is capable of changing that flaw. The fans will accept you as a player if they see that you actually care about the team and are trying to improve the team even if the team is losing a lot of games. There have been so many games over the past three seasons where no fan has been able to witness the passion we were used to during the days of Mr. Bigshot and his crew. Just as Dumars brought in Walker as a spark, why can't he bring in someone with size from the D league just to shake things up. Send Daye down to the lower level of competition to make room so Daye can get some playing time so he can learn how to pass and defend.

cool breeze

Posts : 2544
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:06 pm

cool breeze wrote:
Flip wrote:33 yr old, 6-6, Lebanese swingman Fadi-al-Khatib

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Is Fadi al-Khatib NBA material? It’s a question that has been continuously asked by basketball fans on the internet, considering his huge contribution to the success of the Lebanese national team over the past 10 years.

The answer to the question has come from the Detroit Pistons, who have recently been exchanging emails with Fadi, as “The Tiger” confirmed to The Daily Star in a phone call. A contract may be signed as early as this summer.

“It’s true. I have been exchanging emails with Joe Dumars [Detroit Pistons’ President], who has asked me to come in summer,” revealed Khatib, who is 32 years old.


He added: “I don’t know yet if I am going. Playing in the NBA is something professional players dream of, but I have a family and I am starting a new project here.”

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Flip you have done it again. "It's amazing, so amazing". I wonder if Mr. Gores will hire that announcer to replace either Greg or George next season when the amazing Fadi arrives to the Palace. I noticed that Charlie V would fit in well with both of those teams. He could be considered an average defender on their standards. Great job Flip!!

There will be more of what you saw last night Piston fans once Joe signs his secret weapon, the Incredible Swingman from Lebanon, FADI-Al Khatib. There will be only one condition in his contract. Khatib must be granted a private room to dress before all home games complete with ashtray and all the cigs he can smoke. The private room is also a place where his fine women can hang out before and after the games. Flip this might be your best piece of work ever. We must keep Khabib on Joe's radar or he might forget.

cool breeze

Posts : 2544
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

frankie

Post  FlyDog on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Just giving you a little ribbing. No need to explain to me how big of a fan you are. You feel Stuckey can be part of a good team, and I don't; that's the only issue we differ on.
avatar
FlyDog

Posts : 764
Join date : 2011-12-14
Age : 46
Location : Fort Myers, FL (Lil Pakistan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Unknowns

Post  Sparma on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Isn't there a 7 footer in the woods none of us have heard of? Remember the Baseball Academy in KC that took outstanding athletes and molded them into baseball players; I think Frank White was its finest product. Aren't there athletic big men with little basketball experience who can become decent NBA shot blockers and rebounders and defensive presences right away? Didn't we used to specialize in giving obscure big guys a shot at the NBA? Credit to Joe for giving El-Khatid a look. I've got to believe an obscure player better targeted to our needs can be found.
avatar
Sparma

Posts : 1010
Join date : 2011-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Knicks

Post  Oracle on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm

FlyDog wrote:They played a Double OT game last night against the Knicks, and won. They only played 7 guys; 6 guys got DNPCD............in Double OT?!?!

LOL at the 6-10 Knicks. Those guys are NEVER relevant.........why do all the talking head fools get suckered every year with that team? Uh..................YOU NEED A PG! A bench is nice too.

So true!

The Knicks really miss Chauncey, but even more than that, they have two scorers at critical positions that basically play no defense!

Chandler can't possibly cover up all that crap!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6035
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Frankie

Post  Oracle on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:53 pm

FlyDog wrote:Just giving you a little ribbing. No need to explain to me how big of a fan you are. You feel Stuckey can be part of a good team, and I don't; that's the only issue we differ on.

Fly, I really get pissed at Stuckey too.

You never know which Stuckey you're going to get, smart Stuckey or his dumb azz twin.

Even so, I tend to agree with Frankie that he can be a component of a contending team, but you have to use him right.

He's a Stackhouse with less basketball smarts, a 2nd tier capable star that thinks he's a superstar. The biggest difference is that Stack could finish, and if he couldn't, he always got to the line down the stretch.

Just keep keep the decision making away from Stuck down the stretch, and pair him with a PG, and you should be fine.

IMO, one day he will mature... I just don't know when that day will come.
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6035
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Paterno

Post  Oracle on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:54 pm

FlyDog wrote:That is all.

Great coach, but it's a sad way to go out under a heavy cloud.
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6035
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  merc on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:15 pm

FlyDog wrote:"So where are all the Stuckey haters?"

Had to work late last night and missed the game. The Pistons are 1-11 when I watch them, and 3-2 when I don't.
Work is no excuse... with your track record you should be like the dude in the commercial sneaking peeks at the celly.
No more missed games for you Mr. (our new goodluck lotto charm)....

Remember when Lee used to brag about the Pistons having a perfect record when his Daughter went to the games (like 3 years running)... ha I miss fighting with Mr. Green Jeans.
avatar
merc

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  frankied on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Oracle wrote:
FlyDog wrote:They played a Double OT game last night against the Knicks, and won. They only played 7 guys; 6 guys got DNPCD............in Double OT?!?!

LOL at the 6-10 Knicks. Those guys are NEVER relevant.........why do all the talking head fools get suckered every year with that team? Uh..................YOU NEED A PG! A bench is nice too.

So true!

The Knicks really miss Chauncey, but even more than that, they have two scorers at critical positions that basically play no defense!

Chandler can't possibly cover up all that crap!
the knicks will be like the pistons and not appreciate chauncey until they have to find someone to do what he does.
watched the game - at least had one eye on most of it during the pistons game, then was able to watch the last quarter and the OT section - and they are a mess.
i'm a huge melo fan, but last night was a perfect example of how his game is starting to unravel. he took 30 shots and hit only 10. (stoudemire only took 9 shots despite playing 45 minutes.)
funny, i am not a huge stoudemire fan, but it is ridiculous for him to only get 9 shots in a game.
melo got into a personal dual with galinari - who played great and torched him - and it ended up killing NY.
just don't think there is any way that melo and stoudemire can play on the same team.
and d'antoni's system - which encourages firing the ball up - looks like the worst thing imaginable for a guy like melo, who legitimately can score from anywhere on the court. which means that there is no bad shot for melo in d'antoni's offense. and for a volume shooter like melo, that green light can be a dangerous thing.
he is falling in love with long jumpers and ignoring the mid-range offense and low post offense that made him so dangerous. if he's jacking 3 up, he can't use his main advantage - his size and athleticism - around the basket, and it keeps him away from the offensive boards.
everybody is waiting for baron davis, but i tend to think that he is just going to make matters worst, most games. yea, he will have a game where he distributes the ball well, every once in a while, cause he can do so, but when he plays his typical game, he will just be another guy out there struggling to get into a good rythm as he fights for shots with melo and stoudemire.
it could - probably will - be a very ugly scene.
avatar
frankied

Posts : 514
Join date : 2011-12-15
Location : Portland, Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don . good idea about sending Daye down to D-League ... Let him get it together .. and realize he may not always have the chance to play in the NBA

Post  Grizz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 pm

cool breeze wrote:Everyone in this forum seems to believe that justice should prevail. Regardless of the contracts Dumars has foolishly given to Charlie V and Ben Gordon, the truth comes out eventually. The truth actually was evident to most Piston fans after the first month after Charlie V and Gordon arrived in Detroit. We fans don't want to watch them and we want them out of Piston basketball. Hopefully, Charlie V will not be able to play for the Pistons this entire season. While I have witnessed Ben Gordon trying harder to compete on defense at times this season, he has become a slacker instead of a leader over the past two weeks. Maybe his shoulder has caused his poor effort of late, but I just do not believe he fits in with Knight very well so Dumars needs to find him a new home or not put pressure on Franks to play him. You can bet that wherever Gordon lands, he will somehow have a good year during the last year of his contract. Dumars was tricked big time regarding Gordon. While I am not a true blue Stuckey fan, he is clearly at a different level than the three who must go. Stuckey has never been consistant as a Piston. It seems that other posters believe that he is capable of changing that flaw. The fans will accept you as a player if they see that you actually care about the team and are trying to improve the team even if the team is losing a lot of games. There have been so many games over the past three seasons where no fan has been able to witness the passion we were used to during the days of Mr. Bigshot and his crew. Just as Dumars brought in Walker as a spark, why can't he bring in someone with size from the D league just to shake things up. Send Daye down to the lower level of competition to make room so Daye can get some playing time so he can learn how to pass and defend.
avatar
Grizz

Posts : 622
Join date : 2011-12-13
Age : 57
Location : Wakayama, Japan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mr Big Pass

Post  Grizz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Billups 13 assists today picking up the slack for CP3 dance clap
avatar
Grizz

Posts : 622
Join date : 2011-12-13
Age : 57
Location : Wakayama, Japan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  merc on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Don, We can't send Daye to the D-League... this is only allowed for the first two years they're in the L
avatar
merc

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mercury

Post  FlyDog on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm not into having a computer in my pants..........I'm old skool. My phone is for talking and texting only. I do have a DVR, but forgot to set it.
avatar
FlyDog

Posts : 764
Join date : 2011-12-14
Age : 46
Location : Fort Myers, FL (Lil Pakistan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oracle

Post  FlyDog on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:28 pm

You just slapped Stackhouse in the face with your keyboard. Rodney Stuckey is no Jerry Stackhouse. I agree that Stackhouse was a 2nd tier star, but Stuckey has a long way to go before he reaches that status, imo. He's had what.........2 or 3 good games this season?
avatar
FlyDog

Posts : 764
Join date : 2011-12-14
Age : 46
Location : Fort Myers, FL (Lil Pakistan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

why you don't give up on young talent...

Post  frankied on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:10 pm

came across this article that talked about how philly has moved up into the ranks of elite teams.
david thorpe discusses many reasons, including these:

"Developing young players
Lou Williams, Iguodala, Thaddeus Young and Evan Turner are all playing better than they did last season. Jrue Holiday has shown signs he can be an upper-level point guard (although he still has a ways to grow).... Jodie Meeks is now a proven, legitimate 3-point threat. Nikola Vucevic is a top-10 rookie and perhaps the biggest surprise of the 2011 draft class thus far.
Of this aforementioned group, only Brand is considered a player on the downside of his career. Even if none of the younger players get much better, they can still be a factor in the East, but Holiday, Turner, Vucevic, Young and Hawes can all be expected to get better, as they possess skill and basketball IQ and lack only experience

Assets to trade
One benefit of having the type of depth that the Sixers possess is that they maintain the option of shipping three or four of those quality players in return for a top-20 player. Having a lot of young assets gives it a lot of options, which is why it wouldn't be a surprise to see Philadelphia get involved in discussions at the March 15 trade deadline."

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

every year, you see teams do it the right way. and when they do it the right way, you see the results soon.
when doug collins came in, he basically turned the team over to the young guys. the only old dog he played big minutes was elton brand, a guy who brought rebounding and defense and a presence no one else could have brought.
collins developed his young players.
meeks, now considered a proven 3 point threat went though his own austin daye-type slump earlier this season before busting out of it against detroit. collins kept starting him and kept playing him until he busted out of his slump. he didn't jerk meeks around, as daye has been jerked around, and the results are there for everyone to see. he now has a solid member of his young core playing well and helping the team win.
philly has developed their trade assets.
they have a bunch of good young players that they will be able to trade, for one really good player.
instead of letting them sit and rot, instead of simply releasing them without knowing if they can play, they've kept them, developed them and now they are ready to parlay that young talent - always the most desirable - into a piece that could help them make a title run. if and when they choose to do so.
philly is doing it right.
i still don't know what detroit is doing.
signing 31 year old retread swing men to come in and take minutes away from young players...
bringing in 29 year old d-league vets...
discussing signing 33 year old foreign players...
letting guys who should be your core young players rot on the bench...
not sure what the plan is, but it definitely isn't the type of blueprint that teams follow if they are trying to rebuild.
avatar
frankied

Posts : 514
Join date : 2011-12-15
Location : Portland, Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  frankied on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:15 pm

FlyDog wrote:You just slapped Stackhouse in the face with your keyboard. Rodney Stuckey is no Jerry Stackhouse. I agree that Stackhouse was a 2nd tier star, but Stuckey has a long way to go before he reaches that status, imo. He's had what.........2 or 3 good games this season?
agreed. i love stuckey's game, but he has a long way to go before he's in stackhouse's league...or even the same conversation.
they are very similar, though, in that kind of monomaniacal focus they would get on the basket. stack was just like stuckey in that, once he got his mind set on getting to the hole, he was going... he'd try to drive over or through anybody in his way. like he a magnet and the hoop a huge piece of metal....
of course, he was much better finishing, once he got there...
avatar
frankied

Posts : 514
Join date : 2011-12-15
Location : Portland, Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Stuckmeister

Post  Murph on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Does anyone realize that through 12 games, Stuckey is shooting 43%from 3 pt land this season? Evidently, Stuckey has been working on his shot. thumbs up
avatar
Murph

Posts : 951
Join date : 2011-12-13
Age : 57
Location : Wilton, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Scary!

Post  Grizz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:28 pm

frankied wrote:came across this article that talked about how philly has moved up into the ranks of elite teams.
david thorpe discusses many reasons, including these:

"Developing young players
Lou Williams, Iguodala, Thaddeus Young and Evan Turner are all playing better than they did last season. Jrue Holiday has shown signs he can be an upper-level point guard (although he still has a ways to grow).... Jodie Meeks is now a proven, legitimate 3-point threat. Nikola Vucevic is a top-10 rookie and perhaps the biggest surprise of the 2011 draft class thus far.
Of this aforementioned group, only Brand is considered a player on the downside of his career. Even if none of the younger players get much better, they can still be a factor in the East, but Holiday, Turner, Vucevic, Young and Hawes can all be expected to get better, as they possess skill and basketball IQ and lack only experience

Assets to trade
One benefit of having the type of depth that the Sixers possess is that they maintain the option of shipping three or four of those quality players in return for a top-20 player. Having a lot of young assets gives it a lot of options, which is why it wouldn't be a surprise to see Philadelphia get involved in discussions at the March 15 trade deadline."

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

every year, you see teams do it the right way. and when they do it the right way, you see the results soon.
when doug collins came in, he basically turned the team over to the young guys. the only old dog he played big minutes was elton brand, a guy who brought rebounding and defense and a presence no one else could have brought.
collins developed his young players.
meeks, now considered a proven 3 point threat went though his own austin daye-type slump earlier this season before busting out of it against detroit. collins kept starting him and kept playing him until he busted out of his slump. he didn't jerk meeks around, as daye has been jerked around, and the results are there for everyone to see. he now has a solid member of his young core playing well and helping the team win.
philly has developed their trade assets.
they have a bunch of good young players that they will be able to trade, for one really good player.
instead of letting them sit and rot, instead of simply releasing them without knowing if they can play, they've kept them, developed them and now they are ready to parlay that young talent - always the most desirable - into a piece that could help them make a title run. if and when they choose to do so.
philly is doing it right.
i still don't know what detroit is doing.
signing 31 year old retread swing men to come in and take minutes away from young players...
bringing in 29 year old d-league vets...
discussing signing 33 year old foreign players...
letting guys who should be your core young players rot on the bench...
not sure what the plan is, but it definitely isn't the type of blueprint that teams follow if they are trying to rebuild.

Should we cry or laugh? Great points Frankie ... Joe D still scares me I am afraid .. This has only a little to do with the moves you are mentioning .. but .. It seems like every time Frank wants to make a lineup change .. the person he wants to replace .. gets injured .. I wonder if this is a way protect his player's pride? The timing of the injuries makes me think this is the case ..
avatar
Grizz

Posts : 622
Join date : 2011-12-13
Age : 57
Location : Wakayama, Japan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stuff

Post  Lobo on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Work so hard I couldn't unwind,
get some money saved;
Abuse my love a thousand times,
however hard I tried.
Heartbreaker, your time has come,
can't take your evil way;
Go away, Heartbreaker.

Heartbreaker!
Heartbreaker!
19 6 8 11 17 6 11 5 11 16 17 5 2 10 5 15 24 1 3 16 16 9 9 9
Heart!

Lobo

Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-12-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  frankied on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Murph wrote:Does anyone realize that through 12 games, Stuckey is shooting 43%from 3 pt land this season? Evidently, Stuckey has been working on his shot. thumbs up
i originally got this link over at pistonpowered.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
it raises a simple point: why doesn't the team shoot more 3 pointers considering that it is one of the better 3 point shooting teams in the league? it was written by a national writer, so obviously someone outside of the fan base wonders about this also.
money quote:
"[Daye's] far from the only problem, but Daye certainly contributes to the fact that Detroit ranks 26th in 3-point shooting rate – the percentage of the team’s total field goal attempts used on 3-pointers – despite being the 11th best team in the league in 3-point shooting percentage. Ben Gordon, Brandon Knight, and Tayshaun Prince have all been very accurate from the perimeter this season, but the Pistons haven’t quite figured out how to best use their — and Daye’s, based on his nonslump shooting marks – focused long-range strengths to the team’s advantage."
interestingly, joe seems to have the orlando-like team he said he wanted to build - and the above note does not even include CV - but the coach has not figured out how to use the talent. they have a big man, monroe, who commands a lot of attention - like orlando - and they have lots of 3 point shooters who can shoot the long ball - like orlando - but they don't shoot the 3 point shot very often. go figure.
something is wrong with that picture...
avatar
frankied

Posts : 514
Join date : 2011-12-15
Location : Portland, Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Might be right on shooting more 3 pointers but ..

Post  Grizz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:56 pm

frankied wrote:
Murph wrote:Does anyone realize that through 12 games, Stuckey is shooting 43%from 3 pt land this season? Evidently, Stuckey has been working on his shot. thumbs up
i originally got this link over at pistonpowered.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
it raises a simple point: why doesn't the team shoot more 3 pointers considering that it is one of the better 3 point shooting teams in the league? it was written by a national writer, so obviously someone outside of the fan base wonders about this also.
money quote:
"[Daye's] far from the only problem, but Daye certainly contributes to the fact that Detroit ranks 26th in 3-point shooting rate – the percentage of the team’s total field goal attempts used on 3-pointers – despite being the 11th best team in the league in 3-point shooting percentage. Ben Gordon, Brandon Knight, and Tayshaun Prince have all been very accurate from the perimeter this season, but the Pistons haven’t quite figured out how to best use their — and Daye’s, based on his nonslump shooting marks – focused long-range strengths to the team’s advantage."
interestingly, joe seems to have the orlando-like team he said he wanted to build - and the above note does not even include CV - but the coach has not figured out how to use the talent. they have a big man, monroe, who commands a lot of attention - like orlando - and they have lots of 3 point shooters who can shoot the long ball - like orlando - but they don't shoot the 3 point shot very often. go figure.
something is wrong with that picture...

Definitely right about Monroe needing more touches .. and his number being called for more inside post moves ... Sure Stuckey (great) and the team (very well) may be shooting the 3s right now .. But live by the sword .. die by the sword .. It just seems that when a team gets 3 point shot happy .. it seems to throw the rest of their offense off .. Agree that it doesnt have to be that way .. but .. running pick and rolls and the PG penetrating for an open perimeter shot, or feeding the big inside for a shot .. seem to me more the ways the team should go FIRST .. ... You have to develop the inside game first AND WE HAVE NOT YET, .. Because if you dont.. the defense will just ratchet up its perimeter defense .. and then watch us miss with the game on the line ..
avatar
Grizz

Posts : 622
Join date : 2011-12-13
Age : 57
Location : Wakayama, Japan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  Grizz on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Grizz wrote:
frankied wrote:
Murph wrote:Does anyone realize that through 12 games, Stuckey is shooting 43%from 3 pt land this season? Evidently, Stuckey has been working on his shot. thumbs up
i originally got this link over at pistonpowered.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
it raises a simple point: why doesn't the team shoot more 3 pointers considering that it is one of the better 3 point shooting teams in the league? it was written by a national writer, so obviously someone outside of the fan base wonders about this also.
money quote:
"[Daye's] far from the only problem, but Daye certainly contributes to the fact that Detroit ranks 26th in 3-point shooting rate – the percentage of the team’s total field goal attempts used on 3-pointers – despite being the 11th best team in the league in 3-point shooting percentage. Ben Gordon, Brandon Knight, and Tayshaun Prince have all been very accurate from the perimeter this season, but the Pistons haven’t quite figured out how to best use their — and Daye’s, based on his nonslump shooting marks – focused long-range strengths to the team’s advantage."
interestingly, joe seems to have the orlando-like team he said he wanted to build - and the above note does not even include CV - but the coach has not figured out how to use the talent. they have a big man, monroe, who commands a lot of attention - like orlando - and they have lots of 3 point shooters who can shoot the long ball - like orlando - but they don't shoot the 3 point shot very often. go figure.
something is wrong with that picture...

Definitely right about Monroe needing more touches .. and his number being called for more inside post moves ... Sure Stuckey (great) and the team (very well) may be shooting the 3s right now .. But live by the sword .. die by the sword .. It just seems that when a team gets 3 point shot happy .. it seems to throw the rest of their offense off .. Agree that it doesnt have to be that way .. but .. running pick and rolls and the PG penetrating for an open perimeter shot, or feeding the big inside for a shot .. seem to me more the ways the team should go FIRST .. ... You have to develop the inside game first AND WE HAVE NOT YET, .. Because if you dont.. the defense will just ratchet up its perimeter defense .. and then watch us miss with the game on the line .. I never liked Orlando's offense because it is so easy for good teams to disrupt and so dependent on a shot that can disappear and get your offense out of sync ...
avatar
Grizz

Posts : 622
Join date : 2011-12-13
Age : 57
Location : Wakayama, Japan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

guess who?

Post  frankied on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:10 pm

came across this and found it was interesting.
two national writers are discussing a player. one writer is criticizing the player; the second writer is defending him, essentially.
does it sound familiar?
guess who they are discussing?

this is the first writer:

"But here's the crux of the matter: [player x] struggles with decision-making, which is the most critical element of a point guard's game. In fact, he is one of the worst decision-makers in the league, often driving and shooting and acting as if he's the team's best and No. 1 option when, in fact, he should be setting up his teammates........
I mean, come on: He has only five assists per game? And with [player x's] quickness and ability to get into the lane, he should be getting [player a] and [player b] a few easy buckets every game.
But because at this point he is just an incredibly explosive athlete rather than a polished basketball player (especially for a point guard), he doesn't yet know how to best utilize his ability for the sake of the team and his teammates.
All this is made evident by his absolutely horrible assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.57. ...
Eighteen point guards are averaging more assists .... Eighteen! ..... how about running the damn offense? Yet [player x] finds a way to shoot it more than 16 times per night (more than all but 10 players in the league -- and more than any point guard) even though he's hitting just 43 percent of his shots. Plus, he's a terrible 3-point shooter (23 percent).

this is what the second writer says:

'Does [player x's] decision-making need to improve? No question. He still goes off the rails at times.
But [player x] isn't a traditional point guard, he's just a relentless attacker who is still learning to harness his phenomenal athleticism. He doesn't see the floor as well as the top point guards do.....
..... it leaves [player x], whose sheer speed and size are a tough match for every point guard in the league, to do all the creating. On a lot of nights, he doesn't have a choice but to push the envelope and attack the crowded paint; without a post-up threat and opponents jumping [player c] coming off screens, the [team] [is] taking all challenged jump shots if [player x] doesn't try to break somebody down.

[player x], on the other hand...... rarely smiles, and there's nothing subtle about his game most nights; he's going to beast you every chance he gets. [player x] plays through all the criticism and the scrutiny ...and just keeps coming. Because he, [player c] and everyone else in the [team] organization knows if he doesn't, their offense stagnates.

avatar
frankied

Posts : 514
Join date : 2011-12-15
Location : Portland, Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reasons Why Stuckey Was Suckey

Post  Sissy1946 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm

He dribbled into 3 -4 players: 1-Losing the ball, 2-Getting Fouled, 3-Missing the shot & then the other team fast breaks down the court for a deuce, (This is what mostly has been happening with Suckey- Stuckey), it looks like he's really been working' on that until Da-Dum last night With 20 seconds left he drove the lane through 4 players & lost the ball, I mentioned this last night too but even Greg Kelser thought he was going to kick it to an open man & didn't , he sounded disappointed as all that seen it were, that's one of my biggest pet-peeves with him, I agree with all the rest that him & Jackson should be starting, thats a no- brainer, otherwise he had a very nice game. Another problem I have is the one with the Princess, guys please help me out & watch this guy every time he gets the ball, what the Fug is it with him holding it, going around the world with, faking both ways & with 6 seconds left starts dribbling' & dribbling' & then clangs one up on the rim? Just watch him, there's hardly no movement from him, he snakebites the flow of the offense, let me know if anyone else see's this, this one sticks in my craw & is the main reason I want him gone & never even wanted him signed. As Always Faithful to a T. wpn Joe
avatar
Sissy1946

Posts : 494
Join date : 2011-12-14
Location : Battle Creek, Mi.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum