Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+5
deusXango
BallinD
cool breeze
Murph
Sparma
9 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty No Attack, Just Another Point of View

Post  deusXango Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:38 am

Murph wrote:Man...are you seeing the crazy contracts some of these players are signing? Yes, crazy contracts!!  Drummond is now something like the 34rd highest paid player in the league.  Drummond is a bargain in today's NBA. "Bargain"?! That's illusionary. A supermax contract guarantees mediocrity due to an inflexible CAP. If the present conditions don't make a case, what can I say?

Whiteside makes the same amount of money as Drummond, and Whiteside has never been an All Star, scores much less than Drummond and rebounds much less than Drummond.  And apparently Whiteside has a bad attitude, while Drummond is a great teammate. And Whiteside is 29 years old and is on the downside of his career, while Drummond is still improving. All that being said doesn't put Drummond in the same financial class with Curry, Leonard, Harden, Durant, and Lilliard, if for no other reason, "gate appeal". How many fans from around the country are clamoring to see Drummond do his thing?

That said, Drummond should bag the jump hook and 3 point shooting and score all of his points on dunks and put-backs.  Basically, he could score 17-18 ppg on garbage points alone.  He should focus on increasing his FG% to 60%...along with improving his defense and shot blocking.

Tim Frazier looks surprisingly good as a 3rd string PG.  But where does that leave Jordan Bone? The FO has seen Frazier play but, not Bone? That's interesting. into the G-League most of the season.  He might make a cameo appearance every now and then, but basically, Bone will never see the light of day in the NBA, unless Rose or Reggie get hurt again.

And based on the above information, I think Svi Mykhailuk's is going to have a difficult time getting minutes also.  He's going to have to beat out Khyri Thomas and Langston Galloway for 3rd string SG minutes, or beat out Louis King for 3rd string SF minutes. If this is the case, we're stuck on playing favorites and being practical...a 6' 8" deadeye shooter with PG skills has to contend with a low I.Q., 6' 2" SG (Galloway) for PT? How is this developing both Svi and Thomas? Plus when, and if, fans get a load of Lewis King and Sekou Doumbouya basketball fans will realize Detroit has a couple of beasts at SF/PF going into the future. I can't believe a coach whos reputation is built on player development will have a problem, even coaching under a win now directive.
Oh well, if you're the Pistons, I guess that's a good problem to have.  It represents depth.

We still need a 3rd string center and PF.  Eric Moreland anyone?

With the Snell acquisition and the Rose and Frazier signings, Stefanski has officially entered into win now mode.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty AD

Post  Sparma Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 am

I don't think Andre will be willing to sign until he finds out whether he makes at least third team All NBA this year, and is eligible for the supermax. That can make 40-50 mil dif.

The weird thing in the NBA is that sometimes the max is a gross underpayment in relation to market value. Don't know yet what will happen with Kawhi, but that underpayment is why it's possible to have three of the top five players on one team to begin with. Let the market dictate the top contracts and, when combined with a team cap, you'd get only one player of the caliber of LeBron, of Davis, of Kawhi on any single team.

In Andre's case, I see the max (given good health) as about the right market value for him, if it were a genuinely free market (but still with a team cap). But I'm hoping we dodge the supermax.

Murph wrote:So I looked it up.  Last year, Drummond was 11th in the League in win shares last year.  (He was 1st in the league in defensive win shares for the 2nd year in a row.)  However, he was the 25th highest paid player last year.  And he will be something like the 34th or 35th highest paid player this season.

Furthermore, Drummond in still improving and he is in a contract year, so there is a good chance he will have a career year this year.  

Drummond is going to be offered a massive 5 year contract by the Pistons at the end of the season.   You heard it here first.

He is clean cut and a great teammate and citizen.  He is just the kind of player that you want as the face of the franchise.  Hopefully, he will be a Piston for life.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Andre Drummond Is Grossly Underpaid - Sign His Azz to a Contract Extension

Post  Murph Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 am

So I looked it up.  Last year, Drummond was 11th in the League in win shares last year.  (He was 1st in the league in defensive win shares for the 2nd year in a row.)  However, he was the 25th highest paid player last year.  And he will be something like the 34th or 35th highest paid player this season.

Furthermore, Drummond in still improving and he is in a contract year, so there is a good chance he will have a career year this year.  

Drummond is going to be offered a massive 5 year contract by the Pistons at the end of the season.   You heard it here first.

He is clean cut and a great teammate and citizen.  He is just the kind of player that you want as the face of the franchise.  Hopefully, he will be a Piston for life.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Contracts

Post  Murph Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:47 am

Man...are you seeing the crazy contracts some of these players are signing?  Drummond is now something like the 34rd highest paid player in the league.  Drummond is a bargain in today's NBA.  

Whiteside makes the same amount of money as Drummond, and Whiteside has never been an All Star, scores much less than Drummond and rebounds much less than Drummond.  And apparently Whiteside has a bad attitude, while Drummond is a great teammate.  And Whiteside is 29 years old and is on the downside of his career, while Drummond is still improving.

That said, Drummond should bag the jump hook and 3 point shooting and score all of his points on dunks and put-backs.  Basically, he could score 17-18 ppg on garbage points alone.  He should focus on increasing his FG% to 60%...along with improving his defense and shot blocking.

Tim Frazier looks surprisingly good as a 3rd string PG.  But where does that leave Jordan Bone?  If I am not mistaken, Bone signed a 2 way contract, and will be relegated to the G-League most of the season.  He might make a cameo appearance every now and then, but basically, Bone will never see the light of day in the NBA, unless Rose or Reggie get hurt again.

And based on the above information, I think Svi Mykhailuk's is going to have a difficult time getting minutes also.  He's going to have to beat out Khyri Thomas and Langston Galloway for 3rd string SG minutes, or beat out Louis King for 3rd string SF minutes.

Oh well, if you're the Pistons, I guess that's a good problem to have.  It represents depth.

We still need a 3rd string center and PF.  Eric Moreland anyone?

With the Snell acquisition and the Rose and Frazier signings, Stefanski has officially entered into win now mode.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 am

DX: You're 100% right about Drummond, he's been a victim of people expecting things from him that he hasn't grown into yet. In NBA history, big men have always been the slowest to develop.

However, last season I saw the beginnings of exactly what you mentioned. Less flashy stuff, focus on rim protection and defense. Playing within himself on offense, lobs, dunks, etc. IMO, SVG didn't really coach him, he let him coach himself. Maybe Gores interfered, I don't know, but somebody needed to lead and nobody did.

The other side of the coin is that Don confuses reality and practical thinking with us believing everything is perfect. Reality dictates that you can't whine and stomp your feet to change anything. If you have a roster, a wise man tries to maximize all of the potential he can squeeze out of it. Complaining and whining about what they can't do is a fools errand. Utilizing them for what they do well is the goal, and Drummond does a good number of things well, and some at an elite level. Using those things while he's here is the goal, not denigrating him at every turn.

KCP in a holding pattern until Kawhi makes a decision:
The Lakers really want KCP back! The problem is that both the Warriors and the Blazers want him as well, that's the good news. The bad news is that the Lakers, if they get Kawhi will want him at very little money, the so called chasing a championship pay cut. If they win it all, his value rockets.

Also nobody wants to pay KCP the $15M or $12M over pays of his last two contracts. He's good, but not that good, and his defense, while good is a bit overrated, so he's going to take a pay cut no matter what.

Having said that, KCP blew up for the Lakers in the 2nd half of the season, as you can see in the video below, he's developed a wide array of shots, become a much better ball handler, and even has become a very good assist man. The video also shows a lot of his assists to McGee which are very impressive for both players.
FORUM - Page 3 Untitl55
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Hey Don, Check This Out

Post  deusXango Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:56 pm

"Heat have been trying to trade Whiteside since they signed him. He’s a classic example of a guy whose stats look at lot more impressive than what he actually brings to a team. Poor attitude, doesn’t show up in big games, very limited offensive game and virtually unplayable against certain lineups. Blocks shots but has never been a net positive on defense throughout his career. Not sure if this really improves their team at all and Whiteside can be a headache to deal with."-Taken From NBADraft.Net

Hey Don, does this sound familiar? You've made Whiteside the supreme antihero countless times on this forum for punk'in out Drummond in one stupid ass play but, it seems they're cut from the same cloth by your standards. I'm going to chalk that game up as "The Battle of The Lazies" in which Drummond out lazied Whiteside...Drummond won!!

Seriously though, there's only 2-3 real centers in the game today (which "The Joker" is my personal favorite for #1). Centers just don't play an all around game or dominate like a big man should and the money Gores is paying Drummond is ridiculous because many of the things you say about Drummond are true, however, I don't agree that he should be our main trade target...he shouldn't be viewed as a leader or one of the top 3 go to players on a championship team! Drummond is one hell of a complimentary player and his offensive rebounding can't be replaced by any center in the NBA but, his offense should be built around break away dunks, alley oops, and offensive rebounds...no 3 pointers, inside finesse scoring...that energy should go into rim protecting and other defensive plays. You got him pegged right Don, you're just a tad too disgusted with him.
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty The FO has had a very good offseason... they delivered HOPE!!!

Post  Oracle Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:51 pm

And hope is exactly what this franchise needs now. Honestly, this is the most hopeful I've been since the Knight, Drummond, KCP, Moose era, which I had high hopes for. 

I was skeptical about the Rose acquisition, but if we're keeping Reggie, that's a GAME CHANGER! Two guards that can get their own shot in crunch time or get to the line is freaking AWESOME! I prayed for more slashers, and they delivered.

The other thing that turned me around on Rose was seeing Ish get $12M... good for him, but 3 more million for Rose isn't such a bad deal.

But let's examine where the areas of hope reside:

The Present:
1. Rose, Reggie, Blake & Drummond: That's a nice scoring bunch of players right there, if healthy, a dynamic front and back court!
2. Snell: Not expecting a lot of scoring, but we needed defense on the wing badly last season, and he certainly provides that.
3. Kennard, Brown, Maker: Hope for growth looks very good
4. Thomas, Svi: Summer league provides hope for both, Svi will get a good look at PG.

The Future:
1. Sekou: Nuff said, if he's half of what he looks like, we'll have a good player for years
2. Bone: A good summer league and he could snag the 3rd guard - Scratch that, they just picked up Tim Frazier from the Bucks, he's going to have to fight for the job
3. Deividas: A shooter like Kennard, just much bigger. We need to see what he's got
4. Louis King: Don't sleep on this kid, he could surprise

This is amazing when you look at what they had to work with, and any Piston fan with red blood flowing through their veins should be excited and hopeful, even if it's cautiously so!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Give Drummond's Azz a Contract Extension Now!!!

Post  Murph Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:59 pm

I like the Rose pick up.  He was cheap, and he shot .37% from the 3 point line last season.  He's a definite upgrade over Ish for about the same money.  He's still only 30 years old, and if he stays healthy he might even be an upgrade over Reggie, although he'll be coming off the bench.

If healthy, Rose probably has 2 more productive years, which will fit in nicely with Blake Griffin.

You know what this reminds me of?...the Antonio McDyess signing or the Tracy McGrady signing post injuries.  Both those signings worked out for the Pistons.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Cool ??

Post  lemonpen Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

cool breeze wrote:
Oracle wrote:Derrick Rose signs with the Pistons for 2 years at $15M.

But that's not all, I think they believe he's going to be the STARTER, and Reggie Jackson is going to be traded.

I'm not really onboard with this move, it's very risky. Like Lemopen said, high risk, high reward, but the odds just aren't that good, IMO, for the high reward.

Color me skeptical...

Derrick Rose Has Signed With The Detroit Pistons
FORUM - Page 3 Untitl54

Oracle this signing is high risk and no reward. Unbelievable! Based on last season's history, Reggie Jackson was the superior player in my opinion. Reggie adjusted his game to better fit Blake's presence. if he played off the ball, Reggie was able to create his own shot and did make some big shots both at mid range and beyond the 3 point line. $15 Mil for Rose what is this owner smoking? No Curry or other available younger players. Where will the energy come from with this elderly backcourt has been? Rose should be a guy to replace Calderon. If he signed for 2 Mil a season as the 3rd point guard, that would have been fine. Another nail in the coffin. Maybe the Pistons will somehow secure a younger more athletic point guard and Rose will be the back up. The thinking must be that Rose will compliment Griffin. Now we have two older players with a history of knee issues. I am throwing in the towel relating to the Pistons for the next 6 years unless Rose is part of a big time trade.

You do realize the $15M is spread over two seasons, not 1.  Just checking.

Last edited by lemonpen on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Well, Well, Well

Post  lemonpen Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:56 pm

A lot of ex's got inked today; Ish, Bullock, Ellington, and for interesting amounts of dough.

Why would JaVale McGee be here. Not that I wouldn't love to have him, but. That guy would be perfect for a return to the Lakers. He is inexpensive, solid defender, durable, who doesn't need the ball and can get out in transition.

NYK ......................... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. tb tb tb tb More ammo for anti tanking; along with the Tigers.

Rose: Wasn't my first choice. I wanted a younger guy with some ceiling. It isn't Rose's health that concerns me as much as the fact that he shined in another contract year. But, there is his talent level, which is miles above Ish.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Rose

Post  Sparma Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:01 am

Phil-Good describes Rose as a "good guy." I'm disconcerted reading about his trial, including being reminded of him not knowing the meaning of "consent."

As a basketball decision, it seems ok, but not great. Unless he finally truly learned to shoot from distance last year, I expect him to revert to his sub-Ish career norm from distance.

To me, the move has a Gores, name struck, feel to it.

As the dust settles, it seems that we've secured being mediocre another year. Who knows, maybe everything breaks for us next year. We did look really good at the beginning and towards the end of last year.

If we get off to a shaky start, I could see a Reggie J trade actualizing, with Derrick stepping in as temporary starter.

I do commend Stefanski for capping him at two years. He's worked harder at creating hope for the future than I would have expected from a Gores (star-enanamored) hire.

Phil-Good wrote:This season will be all about trades, development and staying healthy. The Pistons will be battling for the 6,7 and 8th spots in the East.

I have no problem with D.Rose. He had A solid season and he A good guy. This coming season is all about Trades, developing the young guys and staying healthy.

Blake should be limited to 55 to 60 games MAXIMUM. D.Rose should be limited to 55 to 60 games Maximum. No back to back games for both. Plug and play the young kids.

Be on the lookout for trades of Jackson, Drummonds and Galloway. The opportunity to reshape this team starts during the trade deadline and all the way through next summer.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty DUMP DRUMMONDS AZZ NOW!

Post  Phil-Good Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:52 am

This season will be all about trades, development and staying healthy. The Pistons will be battling for the 6,7 and 8th spots in the East.

I have no problem with D.Rose. He had A solid season and he A good guy. This coming season is all about Trades, developing the young guys and staying healthy.

Blake should be limited to 55 to 60 games MAXIMUM. D.Rose should be limited to 55 to 60 games Maximum. No back to back games for both. Plug and play the young kids.

Be on the lookout for trades of Jackson, Drummonds and Galloway. The opportunity to reshape this team starts during the trade deadline and all the way through next summer.

Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:33 am

Oracle wrote:Derrick Rose signs with the Pistons for 2 years at $15M.

But that's not all, I think they believe he's going to be the STARTER, and Reggie Jackson is going to be traded.

I'm not really onboard with this move, it's very risky. Like Lemopen said, high risk, high reward, but the odds just aren't that good, IMO, for the high reward.

Color me skeptical...

FORUM - Page 3 Untitl54

Oracle this signing is high risk and no reward. Unbelievable! Based on last season's history, Reggie Jackson was the superior player in my opinion. Reggie adjusted his game to better fit Blake's presence. if he played off the ball, Reggie was able to create his own shot and did make some big shots both at mid range and beyond the 3 point line. $15 Mil for Rose what is this owner smoking? No Curry or other available younger players. Where will the energy come from with this elderly backcourt has been? Rose should be a guy to replace Calderon. If he signed for 2 Mil a season as the 3rd point guard, that would have been fine. Another nail in the coffin. Maybe the Pistons will somehow secure a younger more athletic point guard and Rose will be the back up. The thinking must be that Rose will compliment Griffin. Now we have two older players with a history of knee issues. I am throwing in the towel relating to the Pistons for the next 6 years unless Rose is part of a big time trade.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty I'm Speechless!!!

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Derrick Rose signs with the Pistons for 2 years at $15M.

Color me skeptical...

FORUM - Page 3 Untitl54
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty D Rose

Post  lemonpen Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Much like our first round pick, there is potential for high risk / high reward.

Unless something else happens Snell is a starter. Not much dry powder remaining.

I wonder if Thomas has a guaranteed contract. If not the battle is on with Bone.

It appears that our talent level has improved.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty My two cents on who the Pistons should try to get into their back court

Post  cool breeze Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Cook and Rivers would be two players who could improve the Pistons next season. Of course I wold like Seth Curry but think he is headed somewhere else.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:56 pm

deusXango wrote:How about we suspend the "witch burning" of Drummond for just a minute and concentrate on a more pressing problem; what the hell can we do to be free of Langston Galloway?! The PT he's sure to eat up can be put to better use.,

Let's not be nostalgic by signing Pistons rethreads that didn't work the first time around who went on to prove themselves to not be sh!t, fo' real, like Greg Monroe (who didn't want to be here in the first place), KCP (who overvalued his worth to the team), Stanley Johnson, Reggie Bullock, Brandon Knight, Brandon Jennings, Rodney Stuckey, etc.. Let's give the young'uns the same opportunity the aforementioned enjoyed.

Come on Summer League! And Coach Casey, don't play favorites, play talent, the cream will rise to the top. rockon

While Oracle and some other posters like what you said here, other fans still believe that how you perform in the playoffs does mean something. If you have a player with a mega contract who plays center in today's game and cannot or will not get out on on shooters or guard the paint well, and another team might think they can change him, why not support trading that player? How many years has AD simply stopped playing hard after the month of December? Exactly what is it about Andre Drummond that makes some fans believe he is a player you can count on in the clutch? This year AD was one of the worst performers in the playoffs and it wasn't due to injuries. I can come to only one conclusion here. Basketball fans can sometimes be the most gullible people on the face of the earth. Who didn't get out on Lopez in the playoffs as he continued to drop those 3 point shots in the basket? How about Lopez scoring whenever he wanted to in the paint? Are you really buying AD's excuse that he just got too excited? The owner will believe in almost any excuse when it comes to AD.

Phil takes a lot o heat for stating the facts along with me. If we point out the facts some fans get mad. So if you and others are right that we cannot due without AD then you must support the owner's plan to sign him to a huge contract extension. What bothers me about the fans that think AD is critical to the future success of the Pistons is that never provide any details as to the WHY part. The successful NBA teams have the opposite type of center on their teams. The owner is standing firm with his full support of AD as a centerpiece for the franchise even after Blake retires. So remember this moment. If another team that holds some powerful first round picks does have interest in AD, and they have a more defensive minded type center on their roster and perhaps a high quality guard, won't it seem pretty silly two years from now as the Pistons flounder around like they are doing now. Remember this dysfunction has been going on now for more than a decade. I just can't see how anyone can feel confident in the Pistons future. Where are the top tier guards? Will they come from 2nd round picks?

To prove how dysfunctional this franchise has become is to listen to the reports about how Piston management is courting Derick Rose. My God this man has been a 2nd rate player now for several years. I would take Reggie Jackson over Rose. Notice he is the same type of player that this owner seems to always gravitate to when evaluating options. Get the player who can't play a lick of defense and who is ball dominate. Rose in the prime would have been a nice pick up but his success back then was dependent on being a ball hog. Fortunately all NBA teams are not like the Pistons. The Pistons always get the dunce cap award for making to biggest blunders selecting who will be playing the guard positions. Other teams believe that those two positions are the most critical to success. The Pistons believe that they should not worry about that at all. the idea that Rose could now be coming to Detroit takes the cake.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Not as a bad boy, but still our own... Rodman!

Post  Oracle Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:20 am

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Satoransky

Post  Oracle Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Ballin, I like the idea of Satoransky. He's cheap, only 27, and is going to get better.

For a backup, he's probably ok, grade C+, but the growth factor and the fact that he's 6'7 makes him a B grade.

I believe he is restricted, but the Wizards aren't likely going to pay much for him since he's only making $2M right now.

BallinD wrote:No to DRose.  Broke down ball dominant, way past his prime, but had a good first half of the year before his play and health plunged into the abyss.

Two injury-prone ball dominant chuckers for starting n backup pg, not a good look, and not a good formula for success.  We need more ball movement, more side-side action, not less.  Need more perimeter D not less.  Rose is a poor defender. Weggie too.  It is known.  

I’d like Beverly but he may be too pricy, Collison woulda been great, but maybe take a flyer on Wizards RFA Tomas Satoransky.
6’7” (27) avgd 9 pts 5 assts, plays D and can switch across 3 positions. Shot 39.5 from 3. Likes to dunk on defenders’ heads.  George Hill could help us.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty A grand synthesis or torn between two models? My alternative suggestion.

Post  Sparma Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:39 pm

We're going for it now as well as rebuilding.

I'm liking the rebuilding component (eg draft the youngest kid in the draft) more than the go for it now part (eg Derrick Rose).

Stefanski's still hedging his bets.

Yes, Rose shot 37% from 3 last year, but he's 30.4% from 3 for his career (just ahead of Stanley J's career 29.3%, and behind (!!) Ish's career 30.4%).

And he's fragile.  Also, whereas Ish is a team leader, Derrick seems to have had locker room troubles.

The hedging part that I like is the SI reports a meeting concerning a TWO year deal.  Good (that it's not 3 or 4 years), but if 2 years, the Rose contract likely will eat most if not all of the mid-level exception $$.

My alternative?  (1) See if Dedmon can be signed for ALL of the mid-level money as back-up big man.  Is that like 34 mil for 4 years (I'm hearing he may be out of reach of that, but it's worth a try)?  Let's say that works.

(2) Sequence the signings so that you can resign Ish for 11 mil for 2 years after signing Dedmon (using Bird rights for Ish), taking you into the luxury area (yes, I know Stefanski says if top 4's in sight, but Gores sounded more generous after the playoff debacle).

(3) Go back in time a couple of days [this becomes a hypothetical at this point then], and pick up Glenn Robinson's option.  Yes, Glenn had a miserable season, but he shoots a very nice 36.1% career from 3.  

As is, it looks like we'll pay high for Rose's good aberration shooting season, while booting Robinson (with a very reasonable contract) out the door for his bad aberration season.

Yes, Gores, my plan involves actually going into the luxury tax rather than making idle promises.

That leaves us with (a) Dedmon & (b) Ish & (c) Robinson vs Rose.  No contest.  

In fairness, maybe the FO manages to bring Tolliver back cheap after signing Rose, and get a workable backup C for the minimum.  But I like my plan more than what seems to be unfolding.

And there are a couple more components to it:

(4) if we're mediocre or even fairly good well into the season, and Drummond's going great guns in his contract year: trade Drummond by the deadline (and I say that as someone who thinks he may get HoF consideration when all is said and done. Dedmon could step in and carry a lot of the C load (& you'd probably get a halfway decent C in return in an AD trade), and you just might finally get a really good wing to go with Blake.

(5) Of course I'm always on the lookout for a good Reggie J trade, which could come this year, but you'd probably need to get a functional PG in return, along with other stuff (draft considerations).

Alternatively, if the conference and the NBA's looking messy, and it looks like we're pulling it together for that 50 win, 2nd round year (and possibly more), feel free to hold on to Drummond and Jackson and go for the gusto this year.  I'm not holding my breath that we could pull off a Toronto.

If we ran my plan 1-5 (well, sadly #3's no longer possible), we'd sorta still be going for it with Griffin (especially if a better complementary player would be brought in in an AD trade), but our top priority would be planning for the long term.  

I'm surprised by how much attention Stefanski's given thus far to the long term, but he seems torn between two horses and that's not likely to end well. I'd more clearly hitch our wagons to our future prospects, while still giving Blake and crew materials to go for it now.

BallinD wrote:No to DRose.  Broke down ball dominant, way past his prime, but had a good first half of the year before his play and health plunged into the abyss.

Two injury-prone ball dominant chuckers for starting n backup pg, not a good look, and not a good formula for success.  We need more ball movement, more side-side action, not less.  Need more perimeter D not less.  Rose is a poor defender. Weggie too.  It is known.  

I’d like Beverly but he may be too pricy, Collison woulda been great, but maybe take a flyer on Wizards RFA Tomas Satoransky.
6’7” (27) avgd 9 pts 5 assts, plays D and can switch across 3 positions. Shot 39.5 from 3. Likes to dunk on defenders’ heads.
[/quote]
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Fools Gold

Post  BallinD Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:12 pm

No to DRose. Broke down ball dominant, way past his prime, but had a good first half of the year before his play and health plunged into the abyss.

Two injury-prone ball dominant chuckers for starting n backup pg, not a good look, and not a good formula for success. We need more ball movement, more side-side action, not less. Need more perimeter D not less. Rose is a poor defender. Weggie too. It is known.

6’7” (27) avgd 9 pts 5 assts, plays D and can switch across 3 positions. Shot 39.5 from 3. Likes to dunk on defenders’ heads. George Hill could help us.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Collison retires from the NBA, decides knocking on doors is a better career!

Post  Oracle Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:44 pm

https://pistonpowered.com/2019/06/29/detroit-pistons-target-collison-retires/ wrote:While I still love basketball, I know there is something more important, which is my family and my faith. I am one of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and my faith means everything to me. I receive so much joy from volunteering to help others and participate in a worldwide ministry. The joy I feel is unmatched.

With that being said, I have decided to retire from the NBA.
Derrick Rose is rumored to be coming to the Pistons.

What I hate about this announcement is that nobody says WHY the Pistons are his favorite. 

The one reason I hope it isn't is that they're going to over pay him. He only made $2.4M last season, a bit under paid, but anything over 5M is too much for him, I really would like it more towards $4M, so we'll see!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Really good post DX!!!

Post  Oracle Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm

So much good here! 

Drummond: Drummond isn't hurting us, so villagers, put down the torches and give the big fella a break!

The three most recent refugees from the Pistons, Monroe, KCP & Bullock are gone, I wish them well, but I don't want any of them back, ships sail...

But here is the really important thing you said: Don't play favorites... Play talent! I think Casey will do that for the most part. Coaches sometimes have to let veterans get more burn for various reason, so it's up to the youngster to make it very clear that he's the better option. You sometimes have to knock out the champ to win convincingly!
deusXango wrote:How about we suspend the "witch burning" of Drummond for just a minute and concentrate on a more pressing problem; what the hell can we do to be free of Langston Galloway?! The PT he's sure to eat up can be put to better use.,

Let's not be nostalgic by signing Pistons rethreads that didn't work the first time around who went on to prove themselves to not be sh!t, fo' real, like Greg Monroe (who didn't want to be here in the first place, really thought he was a star too good for us, as he pee'd his pants), KCP (who WAY overvalued his worth to the team), Stanley Johnson, Reggie Bullock, Brandon Knight, Brandon Jennings, Rodney Stuckey, etc.. Let's give the young'uns the same opportunity the aforementioned enjoyed.

Come on Summer League! And Coach Casey, don't play favorites, play talent, the cream will rise to the top. rockon
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty DUMP DRUMMONDS AZZ NOW!

Post  deusXango Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:58 am

How about we suspend the "witch burning" of Drummond for just a minute and concentrate on a more pressing problem; what the hell can we do to be free of Langston Galloway?! The PT he's sure to eat up can be put to better use.,

Let's not be nostalgic by signing Pistons rethreads that didn't work the first time around who went on to prove themselves to not be sh!t, fo' real, like Greg Monroe (who didn't want to be here in the first place), KCP (who overvalued his worth to the team), Stanley Johnson, Reggie Bullock, Brandon Knight, Brandon Jennings, Rodney Stuckey, etc.. Let's give the young'uns the same opportunity the aforementioned enjoyed.

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 3 Empty Now That We've Declined The Option On Robinson III

Post  deusXango Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:26 am

What about Nerlens Noel for Drummonds backup and "Scary" Terry Rozier for Jackson's backup? Would that be money spent wisely, if we could do it?

deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next