Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
Phil-Good
BallinD
Sparma
WTF
deusXango
Oracle
10 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty This What Happens When....

Post  WTF Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Oracle wrote:Looks like a month and maybe a bit more, but it does cripple his development for now.

Pistons guard Luke Kennard sprained the AC joint in his right shoulder when he ran into a Tristan Thompson screen Thursday night. Sources tell ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that Kennard is likely out 3 to 4 weeks.

Stop wishing season and career ending injuries to happen to opposing players.  Kennards injury is Murph's Fault!!!!!!!!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Better Kennard News...

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Looks like a month and maybe a bit more, but it does cripple his development for now.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Terrible news

Post  Oracle Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Just when Kennard was starting to round into game shape and hitting his shot, this happens. I hope it isn't as bad as they make it sound, but if it's separated, that could take some time to heal.

The Celtics will be a huge test, they shocked the Thunder, who had total control of the game, and wound up losing at home, and the Celtics aren't playing their best ball yet.
Murph wrote:If we lose Luke Kennard for most or all of the season, that will be a big loss.  He's very likely our best shooter.  

This represents a big opportunity for Galloway and Brown.  Galloway has been playing ok so far.  He needs to improve his perimeter shooting.

Drummond had a monster game last night with 26 pts and 22 rbds.  

And Griffin continues to be on fire.  I hate to jinx him, but Griffin is currently shooting 61% from the 3 pt line.  And his ability to hit 3s at a dizzying rate, really opens up the floor for him.  Defenders have to play him tight, which means he can more easily drive past them for dunks and layups.

The away and home games against the Celtics coming up will be the big test.  A split would be nice.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Kennard

Post  Murph Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:03 am

If we lose Luke Kennard for most or all of the season, that will be a big loss. He's very likely our best shooter.

This represents a big opportunity for Galloway and Brown. Galloway has been playing ok so far. He needs to improve his perimeter shooting.

Drummond had a monster game last night with 26 pts and 22 rbds.

And Griffin continues to be on fire. I hate to jinx him, but Griffin is currently shooting 61% from the 3 pt line. And his ability to hit 3s at a dizzying rate, really opens up the floor for him. Defenders have to play him tight, which means he can more easily drive past them for dunks and layups.

The away and home games against the Celtics coming up will be the big test. A split would be nice.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Dre Drumm

Post  BallinD Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:09 pm

With Blake throwing his body into anybody and everybody, I have to believe Dre might just have an epiphany ("Hey, I could do that too!) Gotta believe this will be a point of emphasis for Casey and Dre with a big assist from Blake and hopefully even Weggie, who is perhaps going through his own epiphany.  

It's gotta happen, though Lemon is probably right.  The examples you cited and the petulant tweets also point to a "mentality," a mindset that says Diva, but maybe more accurately "NOT PHYSICAL" Athletic, but not Physical.  With that body, You Will Never Get The Respect You Crave Till You Learn How To Use It! facepalm

lemonpen wrote:
Oracle wrote:
Murph wrote:Don...I think there's some truth in what you mentioned.  The next time the Pistons meet the 76ers, if I were Casey, I'd start Drummond, but pull him after like 6 minutes for Zaza. Then I'd play Zaza starters minutes, and let him wear down Embiid.  Then  late in the 2nd half, I'd reinsert a fresh Drummond on a tired Embiid and see what happens. - Drummond just needs to play BULLY Ball with Embiid, finesse isn't Drummond's strong suit.

One thing is for sure, like BallinD said, Drummond has to quit getting goaded into taking ridiculous shots.  Drummond needs for focus on his defense, footwork, rebounding, shot blocking, etc.  Drummond will never be the offensive player that Embiid is.
That's right, he'll NEVER be the offensive player Embiid is, but the sad thing is that he doesn't need to be, and he doesn't know that yet!

The goal should be to become an NBA Champion, and you do that by giving your team what it needs from your position. We've seen over the years that Drummond can easily get 15-20 points on just put backs and dunks alone... just take that low hanging fruit and call it a day offensively.

Now if he EXCEL on the defensive end, we're golden!

It's more about getting his mind straight than expanding his offensive game.

Finesse is Drummonds only suit.  His nature is SOFT.  I don’t say that as a criticism but an observation of his style of play.  Dre AVOIDS contact on both ends of the floor.  Nothing about his game involves going THROUGH or INTO an opponent.
- Off hand block attempts, while backing up.
- Constant desire to reach for knock-aways
- Out jumping his opponent as opposed to blocking out.
- Jump hooks, fade aways, dipsy-do scoop shots and three point jumpers.
There are no power elements in his game.  
In an era when offensive players enjoy the advantages of being permitted to dislodge, charge into, and push off of defenders I find Dre totally and disappointingly incapable.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Drummond

Post  lemonpen Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 am

Oracle wrote:
Murph wrote:Don...I think there's some truth in what you mentioned.  The next time the Pistons meet the 76ers, if I were Casey, I'd start Drummond, but pull him after like 6 minutes for Zaza. Then I'd play Zaza starters minutes, and let him wear down Embiid.  Then  late in the 2nd half, I'd reinsert a fresh Drummond on a tired Embiid and see what happens. - Drummond just needs to play BULLY Ball with Embiid, finesse isn't Drummond's strong suit.

One thing is for sure, like BallinD said, Drummond has to quit getting goaded into taking ridiculous shots.  Drummond needs for focus on his defense, footwork, rebounding, shot blocking, etc.  Drummond will never be the offensive player that Embiid is.
That's right, he'll NEVER be the offensive player Embiid is, but the sad thing is that he doesn't need to be, and he doesn't know that yet!

The goal should be to become an NBA Champion, and you do that by giving your team what it needs from your position. We've seen over the years that Drummond can easily get 15-20 points on just put backs and dunks alone... just take that low hanging fruit and call it a day offensively.

Finesse is Drummonds only suit. His nature is SOFT. I don’t say that as a criticism but an observation of his style of play. Dre AVOIDS contact on both ends of the floor. Nothing about his game involves going THROUGH or INTO an opponent.
- Off hand block attempts, while backing up.
- Constant desire to reach for knock-aways
- Out jumping his opponent as opposed to blocking out.
- Jump hooks, fade aways, dipsy-do scoop shots and three point jumpers.
There are no power elements in his game.
In an era when offensive players enjoy the advantages of being permitted to dislodge, charge into, and push off of defenders I find Dre totally and disappointingly incapable.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Drummond

Post  Oracle Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:54 am

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Strategy

Post  Murph Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:18 am

Don...I think there's some truth in what you mentioned.  The next time the Pistons meet the 76ers, if I were Casey, I'd start Drummond, but pull him after like 6 minutes for Zaza. Then I'd play Zaza starters minutes, and let him wear down Embiid.  Then  late in the 2nd half, I'd reinsert a fresh Drummond on a tired Embiid and see what happens.

When Simmons returns, it's up to Stanley Johnson to contain him. That's why SJ is on the roster, for his defense.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Like I was Saying....

Post  Murph Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Um....I'm reading the news feed, and I see:  "NBA warns Sixers' Joel Embiid for flopping, rescinds Andre Drummond's tech," and "NBA  Admits Refs Were Suckered by Joel Embiid's Theatrics."

See, now that's all I ask....fair treatment.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Addition by Subtraction

Post  BallinD Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 pm

It seems Casey has dodged a bullet by getting Weggie to buy into an off-ball role better suited to his instincts and stamina and ball dominance.

Similarly can he get Dre to take fewer shots overall and honor the shot spectrum, instead focus on putbacks, , rim running and defense. Last night’s game featured one of the worst exhibitions of dipsy-doo finesse “anti-finishes” I’ve ever seen; I mean missing the rim, and the backboard. It seemed he would singlehandedly shoot us out of the game in a misguided effort to best Embiid even if it cost us the game.
Can Dre wake up as Weggie apparently has?
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Oracle wrote:That was one of your best posts!

Praise and constructive criticism in the proper balance.

Thanks Oracle. Sports can bring people together. Politics is another thing though and my old football coach once said don't talk about religion or politics and you can avoid a lot of problems. Can't wait until this next election is over. What if all those mega billionaires from both parties spent a fraction of their campaign donations to actually help our country in some way?

Back to basketball and this last game. I saw Jon Leuer moving pretty fast during one timeout when he greeted the Piston players who were coming off the court. Henry and Jon have yet to make an appearance. There is a different vibe with this team and I don't necessarily believe it is because they have won 3 straight games. But maybe I am wrong. I like coaches who find a way to play a lot of players. It keeps the team chemistry high in most cases. Casey is looking for quickness in crunch time. I bet that both Leuer and Ellenson will get their turn eventually.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty No Babying AD

Post  WTF Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Murph wrote:
WTF wrote:
Really you want the man to have a season ending injury SMH

Ok...you're right.  I went too far; I take it back.  But how irritating is that guy?

Then it's up to AD to step up and put a stop to it.  I'm not siding with AD in having a pity party for him if this a was grade school one could look at it as a 3rd grader picking on a 6th grader.  AD been in the league longer and should be the far more experience and talented player between the two.  The role should be reverse as much as MJ taunted he never taunted a season player like Zeke.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Don

Post  Oracle Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:27 pm

That was one of your best posts!

Praise and constructive criticism in the proper balance.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Murph wrote:Embiid...what a clown.  You would have thought he had won something.  Maybe the 6ers should make it out of the 2nd round before he shoots his mouth off like he's Michael Jordan.

He's just butt sore 'cause he lost last night.  Did anyone catch how Griffin faked Embiid out of his shorts on the final play of the game?  Instead of staying home and guarding Griffin, Embiid was out wondering around the 3 pt line.

Murph I have to respectfully disagree with you relating Embid. I think if Embid somehow came to the Pistons in a miracle trade you would love the guy. I have a close friend who is a die hard Bulls fan. He absolutely hated Dennis Rodman when D.R. would taunt the entire Bulls team when they Pistons were kicking their asses. Then when he started playing for the Bulls, my friend couldn't shut up about how much he loved Rodman. Personally I like the drama players create when they tease opponents they play against. We live in a politically correct world which is becoming very boring as it infects the sports world. Can't spike the football. Got to worry about hitting someone with your helmet. Can't swear. Got to have more women as head coaches in the NBA. I have nothing against a woman coaching in the NBA but when the Commissioner makes public statements declaring we must hire more female coaches soon, maybe tomorrow our Commissioner of Nonsense will order NBA owners to hire at least 5 transgender head coaches by next season. He is right out of a George Orwell novel it seems. I have disliked the last two NBA Commissioners. The current Commissioner of course assumes he will be thought of as a great caring man who will create social change. The media plays up the role of the Commissioner and make a big deal when the Commissioner attends a game. WOW what an honor for everyone. The Commissioner is in attendance. He will clean up the game until nobody wants to watch the NBA. Maybe the Commissioner will get upset that after SVG was fired the league doesn't have enough obese head coaches. He will get right on that for sure because the role of the commissioner is very important. Who can't do that job? Why is he so special?

Players need to swear and needle opposing players to create excitement if nothing else. Remember when Rasheed Wallace used to act crazy at least twice a week ranting at the refs. Fans love it. Remember how the NBA Front Office and all opposing teams hated the Pistons during the Bad Boys era. They were making stuff up in the media to create hate for the Pistons. But by doing that, our Pistons became more inspired to kick ass and take names. I like Joel Emid, He is completely focused on winning. He doesn't give a crap about his stats. And Joel is light years ahead of Andre Drummond who shot 6 for 20 against Embid. Those 6 makes only happened because of the outstanding play of Blake.

Griffin's performance scoring 50 points (20/35) with 14 rebounds, 6 assists and one key block on Embid in crunch time has been the single best thing that has happened relating to the Pistons since Billups was traded. Fantastic!! I don't care if that game was a one time thing. For a few hours Piston fans came alive again. The Pistons do not have a very good team but they finally have 1 outstanding basketball player who was not thinking about stats as you could tell in the post game interview. Blake doesn't like to lose. Embid doesn't like to lose. We need more players like that who are not just going through the motions gathering some stats for the new contract.

Reggie Jackson, as Isiah Thomas said in the post game show on NBA TV has taken a back seat to Blake Griffin and is now playing off the ball like a lot of us hoped he would do. Reggie has had to change his game and that wasn't an easy thing for him to do. He did it for the sake of the team so I am now a Reggie Jackson fan. Reggie even got out and challened a shot with those long arms and caused the shooter to miss. That took extra effort. Jackson scored 23 points on 7/14 shooting. Great job Reggie Jackson.

Smith (21 points) and Bullock (17) also played really well.

Murph you sure called it right relating to the value of ZaZa. I actually think the Pistons are a better team with Blake and ZaZa playing in crunch time then BG and AD. AD is just not a very smart basketball player yet and cannot be trusted on either offense or defense in my opinion when the game is on the line. Yet I am more positive about AD then I have ever been because he is playing harder than I have ever seen him play. If AD does what Reggie Jackson has done and settles down to fill the role the team needs him to fill meaning becoming a defensive weapon instead of an offensive weapon, the Pistons will win a lot of games. AD is throwing up shots that have no chance of going in. He needs to move without the basketball and shoot the ball from close range, get second chance put backs and control the defensive boards. Also, AD can learn a lot of tricks from ZaZa regarding the art of screening. Screen for Black and release. AD should be setting tons of screens in this offense. And if he does it, then AD will get those dunks that thrills the fans.

The Pistons have won the first 3 games. It is clear that opposing teams will make Detroit suffer once they look at the game film as Casey is playing both Smith and Jackson together. Unless Jackson can seriously improve his ability to defend, then opposing teams will be going right at Reggie and Ish. Opposing teams should be going big at the guard positions and clearing the floor so those guards can post up on both Reggie and Ish on the baseline to get easy 6-8 foot shots from the hoop. Casey is going to have to gradually bring in players like Kennard and Johnson to match up better defensively. Yet both Luke and Stanley haven't shown the ability to provide enough offense to warrant the change. The Ish-Jackson experiment seems to have worked in crunch time with Bullock being in the game as well. But a lot can change in the next two weeks. Casey and his assistant coaches seem to do a great job at making players feel like there is no pressure on them and the players seem to look like they are actually having fun even when they make mistakes. This is a big change from the SVG system. Casey needs all the struggling players to not lose their confidence and to keep playing hard. Eventually their luck will change if they relax on the offensive end and just read and react. Play like hell in every other aspect of the game and the shooting will come around.

The 76ers were not at full strength last night. Simmons, a matchup nightmare for the Pistons, did not play. We have to hope that this testy matchup between Embid and Drummond will work in the Pistons favor. Embid has said some things about AD that should motivate our big man to get a lot smarter relating to his game preparation and his understanding of himself as a player. If AD can focus better relating to anticipating plays when is is on defense and decides to become a scary monster in the paint, I think the sky is the limit for AD. AD blocked one of Embid's shots near the rim and it was a beauty. I really was impressed because he did it on his 2nd jump. It looked almost effortless as to how he managed to get his big hand on the ball while in a contorted position. AD is capable of becoming an amazing defender. Will he adjust his game like Reggie Jackson is doing?

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Murph, there were many infractions...

Post  Oracle Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:27 pm

1. Taunting should have been called on Embiid.
2. I also thought there was a flopping rule, and dying fish don't flop that well.

Oh BTW, I hate the guy too. He's blessed with talent, and he won't let anybody forget it, just in case we didn't see him play... what a chump!

But I thought your most important comment was,
Murph wrote:What can you say about Griffin?  The man was unconscious.  He carried the team on his back.  But he needs help.  He cannot continue to play at that level of intensity for 44 minutes a night.  He's going to break down.
I mentioned this before as well, and if Stanley Johnson doesn't come around soon, he needs to be a situational player off the bench. The guy is just BRUTAL shooting the ball, and I have to admit I'm shocked.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Murph Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:59 am

WTF wrote:

Ok...you're right. I went too far; I take it back. But how irritating is that guy?

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Oh Brother

Post  WTF Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 am

Murph wrote:Embiid...what a clown.  You would have thought he had won something.  Maybe the 6ers should make it out of the 2nd round before he shoots his mouth off like he's Michael Jordan.

He's just butt sore 'cause he lost last night.  Did anyone catch how Griffin faked Embiid out of his shorts on the final play of the game?  Instead of staying home and guarding Griffin, Embiid was out wondering around the 3 pt line.

Can't wait for him to go down with another season ending injury.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty I Hate Joel Embiid Part II

Post  Murph Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:57 am

Embiid...what a clown.  You would have thought he had won something.  Maybe the 6ers should make it out of the 2nd round before he shoots his mouth off like he's Michael Jordan.

Last edited by Murph on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty I Hate Joel Embiid

Post  Murph Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 am

Great game last night.  Little Caesars was rockin'.  The crowd looked bigger than last year's crowds, and man were they into the game.

What can you say about Griffin?  The man was unconscious.  He carried the team on his back.  But he needs help.  He cannot continue to play at that level of intensity for 44 minutes a night.  He's going to break down.

Why do the refs let Embiid get away with that sh*t?  He was taunting Drummond all night.  I thought there was a no taunting rule in the NBA.  And that play were Drummond was ejected was ridiculous.  Embiid tripped Drummond and then flopped, and then started with his crap, and somehow talked the refs into calling Drummond for his second technical of the night.  Drummond's first technical wasn't deserved either.  

I know Embiid is a superstar, but Drummond is at least an All Star.  Dre deserves a little respect, and got none last night in his own house.

And Embiid got away with taunting Zaza also.

Ish played great off the bench.  And that lineup where Ish plays PG in the same backcourt with RJ works well.  I'll bet SVG wishes he thought of that.

How bad is Stanley Johnson offensively?  Seriously, the man is shooting 22% from the floor.  If Casey is not going to play Leuer at reserve PF, he needs to bring Johnson off the bench at reserve PF.  With his offensive woes, PF is realistically the only position SJ can play at this point.  Casey needs to start GRIII at SF.

JJ Redick and TJ McConnell are lethal.

Anyway, great game last night.  And it was fun to hear Zeke and Grant Hill give the color commentary.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetroit Basketball!!!!!!!!

Post  BallinD Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:28 pm

Blake with the shake n bake n flush for a cool 50.  His play covered a multitude of Piston sins.  Weggie played well, within himself too.  But Ish and Blake are so far the top two Pistons in willing the team to win.  

Dre wanted it and tried hard to offset Embiid...too hard, too stupidly, though despite his foibles, we squeaked out the win...for the third game in a row.  

Casey better scheme up on someone other than SJ in the lineup, cause Blake needs help!  Time to see what GR3 can do, I think, as Luke works himself back into playing shape.

Great win!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Wow...

Post  Oracle Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Great, and I mean GREAT game from Blake Griffin!!!

50 points, and the basket, foul and made FT to make it the game winner!

Drummond sucks, he takes WAY too many circus shots that have no chance in hell of going in. If we had half of his crazy shots go in, we win in regulation by 5.

Reggie had a decent game, as did Ish, but Zaza came up big defensively, Drummond to be fair had a fantastic block on Joel.

Great game to watch if you like offense and up and down the floor action... defense not so much.

Where Philly excels over us is that they have WAY more goo 3 point shooters, we need to dump some dead weight and get some shooters in here.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Chauncey reveals his darkest moment wearing the Piston uniform caused by Larry Brown

Post  cool breeze Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 pm

The way I remember that last play when Horry made the 3 point shot was that Sheed was arguing with the ref and forgot to get his butt out on Horry. I forgot about Larry Brown's substitution bringing in Hunter for Billups.

Personally I thought Larry Brown's worst moments happened in the Pistons - Nets playoff series where Brown ignores the fact that he had two good big men waiting to play and instead brought in Ham and Williamson to play power forward and center in the overtime after Billups had made the half court 3 to tie the game at the buzzer in regulation. I thought that might have been the worst coached game in my life relating to a NBA playoff game. But Chauncey must have forgotten the Nets game because the Pistons came back to win the series against the Nets.

The moment that I wanted to stick my finger down my throat and throw up was game 7 of the same Finals Chauncey talked about. The Pistons were behind towards the end of the game. Brown saw the television camera man get close to the Piston's huddle during a time out. When the players started returning to the court, Brown looked directly into the camera and said " I love you guys". That was the most insincere ling of bull crap that I have ever seen. During that final season with Brown as the head coach he was baiting the press after every practice trying to get Bill Davidson to fire him so he could return to New Jersey and still get paid his entire contract. Brown has had his moments as a very sharp basketball coach but I sure didn't see the old Larry Brown when he coached the Pistons. There was continually drama. Yet Larry did keep Sheed under control and that took some real skill. The Pistons had an outstanding basketball team in those days. the overall coaching was not great but not as bad as SVG's reign as the Pistons coach perhaps. And to be fair, Brown was in severe pain for his entire stay in Detroit. His health issues were real. He was not faking it. Anyway it was cool for Chauncey to be honest with his feelings. Billups was one of the great all time Piston players for sure. He was an outstanding leader.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Casey is the right coach who came in at the right time

Post  cool breeze Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 pm

It is refreshing to read or hear things from the coaching staff relating to what it takes to play the right way. "Don't get caught up in makes or misses". I like that one a lot when he was referring to questions about Johnson's shooting before Stanley played his first regular season game this year. Casey is laying down the law to each player to contribute what is needed to win games. So we should not be reading about AD's rebounding stats at times when we see the team is not doing basic things they need to do to win.

AD might have been hampered by the flu against the Bulls but his defense sure looked a lot like it has looked since he arrived to Detroit. Lack of engagement as SVG mentioned might be the worst thing anyone can say about a professional or college basketball player. AD didn't get it then. As another poster said, SVG would just shrug his shoulders when AD failed to challenge players who dared to get in his space in the paint. There would be no consequences. SVG was playing the politically correct game with Tom Gores knowing that AD had a crisis line going directly to the owner's phone. Now it looks like AD is going to be held accountable. ZaZa plays physical maybe using some dirty tricks now and then but he works his feet and knows how to anticipate. I love the assistants and Mr. Casey. It appears the owner is hands off for at least the time being. Casey is the boss. SVG's tendency to be a soft touch with temperamental star players backfired and cost him his job in the end. That might sound extreme but it appears that SVG lost sight of the fact that players will never be all in if you have special rules for certain players. And of course if the team you are coaching loses because of basic lack of effort you won't last long. Now the team has a real leader in Blake Griffin. He leads by example and not because the owner has designated him as the leader like he did with AD and RJ. Whoever plays center has to make the effort to work hard to position himself so he can challenge shots in the paint. Our new coach is not ignoring we have been watching for a long time. And I liked what he said about this area that AD needs to clean up. AD has great potential to be a shot blocker and paint protector. When he wants to AD can move his feet and body as fast as anyone. If he uses his gift of superior athletic ability for his size, the the sky is the limit. This coaching staff and Blake Griffen are going to pressure him to reach his potential as a basketball player. Finally this is happening. It will be interesting to see if AD accepts the challenge.

I really like what Casey has said about Stanley Johnson as well. Johnson has to be an elite one on one defender, help defender, play maker, screener etc. In the last game he started out poorly shooting wise but played a decent floor game. Then he made some big shots in the 2nd half and ended up with 10 points.

As for Reggie Jackson, I am more positive about this player now than I have ever been. In this last game. Jackson clearly made a big effort to work harder on the defensive end. Reggie has those long arms and if he pushes himself, Jackson can cause a lot of 3 point shooters headaches. The was also really trying to square up with the player he was defending on the perimeter and was getting through screens as well. I didn't think Jackson was the weakest guard defender by a long shot in this last game. The award goes to Reggie Bullock who allowed everyone he guarded to blow by him especially when the guy he was defending was on the wing. Smith also had big trouble defending because of his size but Smith offered some spunk on offense. Still I would like to see Ish dial it back a bit and not be such a one on one ball dominate point guard.

The Pistons are most effective when Blake initiates the offense or is touching the ball in the half court offense. To me, having Reggie Jackson playing off the ball on the wing and baseline provides the Pistons with a real threat because RJ is showing that he can make long jump shots without being ball dominate. It is clear that Reggie is changing who he is as a basketball player. Maybe I shouldn't get too excited because the Pistons have only played 2 games but I love it when players break old bad habits and get on the right path to success for the team and also for their own careers.

No Kennard in the last game. Maybe he also has a dose of the flu. Something tells me that Luke is going to fit in really well with Casey's system. Luke can play three positions and has a fantastic shooting touch. And Kennard seems to be a lot smarter on defense than Bullock so far. The team will need both Bullock and Kennard to play well if the team is going to be successful. Maybe if Reggie Bullock decides to change his hair style he will play better. Who knows and I know he can play better defense than he showed in his first game of the regular season. Go Pistons!

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Lemonpen

Post  Oracle Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Totally agree!!!

Lemon wrote:I love the comment, and I'm pleased that CASEY used the word soft. We're beginning to see leadership from the top. First Griffin now Casey. 
Isn't this what change looks like. Some guys go all in, while some guys just go.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 15 Empty Murph

Post  Oracle Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:35 pm

I saw that too, but IMO, both things can be true at the same time. The guards should get a lot of the blame and he was also playing soft at the rim, which is normal if you're in foul trouble.

I think the point is that if you're going to play soft at the rim, we may as well sit your arse because you aren't helping the team, which is what Casey did, and it was a good thing. SVG would leave him in the game and let him play soft.

I like how Casey is making clear what he wants. Play the game at full speed and power or don't play, if you're in foul trouble, you can't let that dictate your level of play, just play better.

Having said that, if the defense doesn't get better in 5 or so games, we need to consider using a matchup zone instead of this man defense. That matchup zone of Flip's extended the careers of Sheed & Ben, allowing them to play at a high level longer(helped Garnett as well).

At Pistons.com, a person commented that we're easier to score on than a two dollar Ho... I have to agree  lol lol lol
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next