Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+5
deusXango
Murph
Sparma
lemonpen
Phil-Good
9 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  WTF Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 pm

I think it's funny and I'm cracking the hell up laughing about it.  Andre just shut up, man up and play ball and not just some time do it all the time.  The reason why the coaches didn't select you because you are an underachiever and they can see it.   

I said this before and I'll say it one more time the reality is that your basically still a season or 2 where you should be.  When they selected you the first time you were on pace but then you sucked so bad last season you felled behind. You didn't get better you got worse.

Also coaches don't care about back flips and that comment just shows how out of touch you really are as far as what make an All Star.  GROW UP!!!!
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Surprise Surprise

Post  BallinD Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 pm

I never thought he would get the nod, especially with the emergence of Embiid.  He deserves it over Horford based on the stat test, but factor in the winning and it's clear why Horford got it.  He did get love from a lot of pundits and writers, so I am glad that the recognition of his efforts and especially FTs is out there in the public sphere, but I never thought he deserved it over Embiid, who took his lunch money this year.  Too much up and down and his comment is borderline delusional, IMO.  What you have to do is protect the rim, dunk on the heads of those who oppose you, and quit doing the dipsy doo when you get to the hoop...Go Hard, Young Man, Go Hard!! Hope he will play with a chip on his shoulder!  lol

Oracle wrote:Drummond was passed over? Hell, to be passed over, you have to be in the running, he wasn't!

Raise your hand if you thought Bradley would be an all star. I didn't, but I didn't know how bad he turned out to be, although Van Gundy's offense/defense seems to have that effect on players.

Harris started the season like one, but he faded fast, but I think the surprise was that Drummond, by far our best player(let that sink in for a minute), didn't make it shocked the local media.

Utah is coming in and we need to win this one for Kennard, just for the moral victory, but there is no doubt Mitchell is by far the better all around player. He should thank his lucky stars SVG didn't get his hands on him, he'd be riding the bench here or in the G-League for lack of defense!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty More AD

Post  Sparma Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Other seem surprised by Drummond's snub too, not just local folks. An NBC* story features Lou Williams in the West and AD in the East, saying: "Likewise, Andre Drummond is having a statistically important year for the Detroit Pistons as he leads the league in rebounding and in defensive box plus/minus."

Not even quite sure what "in defensive box plus/minus" is, but if I'm guessing right what it is, that stat surprises me too.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Surprising?

Post  Sparma Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 pm

I find Drummond to be a tough one to figure, but yes I'm surprised. Can't remember a guy with those numbers being out. Rodman (a better player) never made the All-Star game, right, but than his overall stats weren't as good. Who am I forgetting? I watch little of the rest of the NBA, so others can set me straight on the eye test.

Here's one statistical measure that favors his cause: in PER Drummond edges out Love, and handily beats out all the other big guys who made the NBA East, i.e., Embiid, Porzingis, and Horford. I looked at another (WIN) ranking, which puts Horford first, but AD in front of the other East All Stars, including again Embiid [which doesn't mean I think AD's better than Embiid!].

It looks to me that it was less that AD lost out to other bigs, as that one big less than expected was chosen. A Sporting News guy predicted all the East bigs correctly, but added Drummond. Looks to me like Oladipo beat out AD.

And it can't help having a losing record!

All that said, I see serious flaws in AD's game (mainly defensive positioning), so in that way it's not shocking.

My guess is that he still makes it, once one (or two) Eastern choices beg off.

Could this possibly be an incentive for improvement on AD's part? If so, I'd happily take that outcome. Sour grapes, I suppose, but I don't think much of the format they're planning to use this year.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty This Is Why I Hate Him At Times

Post  WTF Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Drummond wrote:[ltr]Guess I gotta start doing back flips after every point I score to get attention around here! [/ltr]

Geez!!! No you just have to play like you're worth the 125 million you're making.   This is what bothers me big time about him he actually think he's arrived to point where ASG selection is a given.  GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!!!!!!

When you get thumped by Dwight Howard and punk by Embiid you're not deserving. After laying that egg after the first selection coaches no longer take you seriously.   I mean who didn't you think you are Cousins. 

Those that want to argue Big Ben and Rodman getting selected please note that they were defensive giants not just rebounding stats.  Why don't you just try shutting the hell up and dominate offensively and defensively like you should be doing already.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Non News Flash: Drummond is not an All Star!

Post  Oracle Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Drummond was passed over? Hell, to be passed over, you have to be in the running, he wasn't!

Raise your hand if you thought Bradley would be an all star. I didn't, but I didn't know how bad he turned out to be, although Van Gundy's offense/defense seems to have that effect on players.

Harris started the season like one, but he faded fast, but I think the surprise was that Drummond, by far our best player(let that sink in for a minute), didn't make it shocked the local media.

Utah is coming in and we need to win this one for Kennard, just for the moral victory, but there is no doubt Mitchell is by far the better all around player. He should thank his lucky stars SVG didn't get his hands on him, he'd be riding the bench here or in the G-League for lack of defense!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty More Ranting

Post  WTF Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Why not start Kennard at PG and Johnson at SG it wouldn't hurt much considering how thing been going.   Truthfully I would play give the bulk of minutes to Ellenson, Kennard and Johnson for the remainder of the season and let the chips fall where they may.   Forget any hopes of playoffs and start preparing for the draft this summer so if you can move pieces for picks be it 1st or 2nd do so.   

It only makes sense to do it this way because this team is just spinning its wheels and should be a lot further along then struggling for an 8th seed in the playoffs.  Lets just be 100% committed to fully trying to develop our last 3 picks and let them sink or swim then decide what you want to do with them come season end.   Give them all the practice time, and attention they need make them the focus of what you want to do, use the rest of these games teaching games win or lose.   

Scrap your stupid offense and run plays specifically designed to each ones talent and abilities.   I rather watch them lose games this way if I have to watch a loss at all.  Don't yank them if they make a mistake, don't yank them if they're not tired just let them play.  Don't give dumbass looks, criticize them, scream or howl at them, just freaking teach them.   Teach them to think,  tell them what you want them to do.  

Most of the time when I watch them play I often wonder if they're being taught at all.  How much hands on are they getting and who's working with them in practice.   This coaching staff sucks!!!!!! and I'm disappointed in Tim Hardaway, who's the big man coach? 

• Head Coach

• Stan Van Gundy
      (College - SUNY-Brockport)

• Associate Head Coach

• Bob Beyer
      (College - Alfred)

• Assistant Coach

• Malik Allen
      (College - Villanova)
    • Tim Hardaway
      (College - Texas-El Paso)
    • Charles Klask
      (College - Michigan State)
    • Aaron Gray
      (College - Pittsburgh)

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Start Kennard at point guard. With day off, SVG considers tweaks - offense sucks and defense is even worse over 5 game losing streak

Post  cool breeze Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 pm

It is becoming tiring to read about the adjustments SVG needs to make to pull the team out of a rut. The truth is that the highest paid athletes are not playing at maximum ability or their ability is not as good as the opponent star players. Take your pick but I suspect the players we have who make the most money are just not good enough to beat the opponents best players. What SVG continues to ponder with his big adjustment decisions is to zero in on the fringe players and put one on the bench and replace that player with another young guy who is has some ability but is not making the big money. Your highest paid players cannot play average or below average. What is happening is that when everything does not go AD's way in the first half of games or in the 3rd quarter, he puts his foot off the gas and will coast for several minutes until the coach finally calls a timeout. Even though Smith does not make the same money as Drummond, Jackson or Harris, he is considered by SVG as a cornerstone it seems. At times Smith has played great but there have also been periods in games where his solo conduct has really hurt the team especially when he doesn't share the ball and then misses his shot. His defense is a problem as well. Yet this coach is concentrating on Johnson, Kennard and Bullock wondering which of those players will fit the starting lineup the best. Right now Bradley is off his game. This is the first time I have joined in on the criticism relating Bradley's faults. But in his defense as some have pointed out, he is not playing well with Ish Smith. He plays better with Jackson. Yet Smith is not in the conversation when SVG talks to his bought and paid for sports reporters. This is what I would do to tweak things.

If no trade is going to take place involving a point guard, start either Galloway or Buycks. Let Smith resume his role as a pace changer for the 2nd unit. The coach could also try Kennard as point guard which I think is the best idea. Luke can see the court as well or better than any other player on the team. He has been a really good football quarterback in high school so knowing that if I were coaching a struggling team that can't start the game well, then the point guard position is the first thing that I would look to tweak. Not SVG though, he is a stubborn cuss. He loves Ish Smith so emotion rules and logic and reason is non existent. Kennard immediately gives the starting unit better defense. Bradley for sure would be more successful. Kennard would not go solo and run his self created offense. He would run the motion offense so his teammates would know ahead of time what the hell was going to happen when he would bring the ball up the court. Now starting payers have no idea what Smith is going to do. Will he go solo and drive into the paint and then dribble back out. Will he pass the ball to Harris who has to fight to get open to even receive the basketball being opponents all know Smith looks first to pass the ball to Harris. If Kennard played point guard I believe this Piston team would look much different. Then I would start Stanley Johnson who plays really well with both Kennard and Bradley. All three of those players have a high basketball IQ and could play off each other. AD would still be a facilitator but could pass the ball with much more proficiency because Kennard, Bradley and Johnson all move without the ball and have quick recognition skills. The Pistons would be scoring more inside the paint. Harris would have a much easier time on offense because opponents would be really busy trying to guard Kennard, Bradley and Johnson. And Johnson sets good screens which would really help Kennard, Bradley and Harris. And Johnson is a guy who plays inside the paint on defense well and could help AD on the boards and in help defense when drivers get by the perimeter defenders. This is a no brainer to me. Kennard should be playing point guard in the starting unit and if that happens Johnson starts at small forward. But instead, SVG will come up with some dumb ass plan picking one of the two players who should both be starting. Bullock could start in place of Johnson if the coach insists because of his outside shooting potential. But the combination of Kennard and Johnson is a good thing and should not be overlooked by a coach who is close to being fired. It is time to put aside the emotions and blatant bias relating to SVG's love affair with Ish Smith. The team is losing and it is easy to see why they are losing. The current group of players who start do not play well together. Whatever SVG might do will not change a damn thing unless he changes the starting point guard. And if Kennard did play that position, everyone would forget about Reggie Jackson's injury and hope he doesn't return.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Murph: Kidd?

Post  Oracle Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Kidd may be the best available, but his problem has been arrogance and general assholery! He can coach, but likely would tear his scalp(most of the hair has been long gone) out with the PG's we have. Of course, I had a hard time trying to convince people that while Reggie wasn't perfect, he has the capability to make this team work. Bradley has looked like sh!t since Reggie went down, he needs a PG to feed off of and divert the defenses attention.

However, I totally agree about Sessions, he's just amazing(yeah, I'm a fan of his) and would easily be the best guard on this team by a long shot!

BTW: Last season it seemed like we were playing games back to back to back to back damn near all of the time. So far this season, we seem to have plenty of time between games, so we're really rested. That's also another reason I don't understand why we're losing so much.
Murph wrote:If the Pistons were smart, they'd hire Jason Kidd as Head Coach immediately.  Coaches like Kidd are not available often.  And IMO, Kidd is an excellent PG coach, which is what the Pistons need most.

The year before Kidd took over, the Bucks went 15-67...15-67!  In the four years since Kidd was hired, the Bucks have only had one losing season.  The turn-around under Kidd's leadership has been miraculous.

It's too bad the Pistons didn't try to pick up a veteran PG such as Ramon Sessions, immediately after Reggie went down.  Since then the 'Stone's have lost 9 out of 12, including 5 in a row.  
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Jason Kidd

Post  Murph Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm

If the Pistons were smart, they'd hire Jason Kidd as Head Coach immediately.  Coaches like Kidd are not available often.  And IMO, Kidd is an excellent PG coach, which is what the Pistons need most.

The year before Kidd took over, the Bucks went 15-67...15-67! In the four years since Kidd was hired, the Bucks have only had one losing season. The turn-around under Kidd's leadership has been miraculous.

It's too bad the Pistons didn't try to pick up a veteran PG such as Ramon Sessions, immediately after Reggie went down. Since then the 'Stone's have lost 9 out of 12, including 5 in a row.

Murph

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Oracle wrote:
Don wrote:If you don't mind I want to throw in this final thought. The Pistons would be very foolish to throw in any draft pick including a 2nd rounder if they have one this season. I don't care if they draft in the 20th position. The only way the Pistons will be a big winner is through the draft. The college kids are getting better and better. At some time if the Pistons keep their picks, they will score big.
I totally agree!!!

Don, I'm in the mode that we need to be collecting 1st & 2nd round picks, NOT giving them away.

We have some good young talent right now, from the very young(Stanley, Kennard & Ellenson) to a bit older talent(Bullock, Harris & Drummond).

We need to be adding to that talent while keeping the best of the bench players and go totally young. The baby Bulls are thriving playing young, that's our best hope!

I would love to get Walker, but not if we have to take on more salary or dead weight that isn't expiring... time to get smart!

Let's hope Piston management and the owner think the same way. It seems that all of the trade experts include our draft picks with their proposed trade deals involving the Pistons. Maybe they know the mind of Stan Van Gundy and believe he is one deal maker who wouldn't blink with giving up our draft picks if he can somehow save his job by making the 8th spot in the playoffs. The standard for SVG keeping his job should be that he gets the Pistons into at least the 4th spot in the Eastern conference. If SVG thinks he will be fired will he make some bad trades and leave the Pistons in ruins or will he do the right thing and have the Piston fans with some form of hope for the future? This is Stan Van Gundy's last job as a coach or holding any other future position of importance in the NBA. Maybe the most difficult thing to do wearing the GM hat for the Pistons is making a trade involving the point guard position. Jackson's trade value went up temporarily earlier in the season. It started to go down before his current injury because of his inept defense and inconsistent ability to lead the team from the point guard position. It seems impossible to move his contract now. Yet all the trade talk involving the pIstons centers around potential trades for point guards. That must mean the Pistons are shopping Ish Smith not Reggie. Maybe SVG will bet all the marbles that Reggie Jackson will finish the season strong and get the Piston into the playoffs. If there could be a small trade involving a back up type point guard with the Pistons giving up Smith and another piece that doesn't include any of our young talent or a first round pick, then if the new point guard makes the team better, go for it. Maybe the guy I like, Avery Bradley, would be included to make a deal work. Otherwise I would not make any trade unless SVG could pull off the deal of the century involving the Pistons highest rated trade material, Andre Drummond. Some teams would be willing to give up some really talented players to get AD. Those players might make the Pistons better in the long run. The chemistry is not very good among the current starting group. If nothing happens, SVG has to make some changes there.

I like the article today relating to Henry Ellenson. SVG must believe that he will be around for awhile. He keeps saying that Ellenson has the ability to be a really good NBA player. Yet he brought in Tolliver to stabilize team chemistry with his leadership ability and consistency on both offense and defense. That was a good move but took Ellenson out of contention for minutes even with Leuer out for the season. Plus Moreland has provided some good defense taking up minutes as backup center. The Pistons need a spark. Harris has good numbers scoring yet he is so hot and cold and is missing shots close to the basket in big situations. I think it is time to mix in Ellenson for regular minutes at both center and power forward. See which position he looks best playing right now. I can't see that he is any worse than Harris is on defense playing against power forwards. He bangs in the paint and could match up well against some NBA centers especially with his ability to make shots from the free throw line and out. Henry needs to get a long look not just spot minutes. Right now the coach is showing Ellenson that he has no confidence in his abilities. He did that same thing with Spencer. Dinwiddie needed his coach to show him that he had his back. That is what a lot of extremely talented young NBA players really need. It is that lack of confidence the coach shows young players that kills their belief in themselves. Then they cannot provide anything productive for their team and just get workouts in at the whim of the assistant coaches schedule. It would have been much better for Ellenson to have been able to play in the G League and get consistent minutes there instead of sitting on the bench. When you are young and are forced to sit out almost every game, it kills you inside. There have been many times so far where our power forwards and centers really sucked, yet SVG never considered playing Ellenson. That is plan stupid and SVG knows better. Brad Stevens seems to find a way to play all of his players. SVG has given a long leash to Kennard which surprised me based on SVG's history. The owner needs to have a talk with his head coach.The Pistons are on a losing streak. This would be a good time to adjust the minutes and find some for Ellenson.

Buycks had a bad week after signing his contract. It seems that the head coach blames him for the losing streak yet the team kept on losing with Buycks on the bench. The team's highest paid players were not playing their best basketball. That was the reason why the team lost not the back up point guard's fault. He didn't play well but had played really well for two weeks straight. Why in the world does SVG decide to punish certain players and allow others to get away with complete lack of engagement? Buycks confidence must be pretty low now thanks to SVG. I would give him several more chances if no trade is made for a point guard. Smith is playing way too many minutes and he is matched up against players that he cannot guard and that takes a lot out of Smith as he does really try hard on defense. Both Galloway and Buycks can be used. There is no law out there that forbids a coach from playing more than 2 point guards in any one game. It seems that SVG has tunnel vision and is not an objective type coach. In the end that could send him packing and into retirement for good.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Twin Knuckleheads

Post  WTF Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Gilbert is about as stupid as Gores also because there is no way you have a player like Lebron and not have all the right pieces around him and that includes the right coach as well.  

It's like Gilbert didn't learn anything from the first time Lebron left when you lucky to have him back and he delivers you a title why find yourself back in a position of losing him again.  IMO he's gone after this season not where he'll end up but it'll be somewhere he going to win.  He should go play for Pop

This guys know how to make money but when it comes to sports they're stupid as holes in a water bucket.
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Poorly Coached and Poorly Motivated

Post  WTF Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:16 pm

On the surface I wanted to predict this team was capable of winning 50 plus games, we do have a talented group of players.  It's not the best talent but it was capable of 50 wins with or without the obvious needed upgrades at PG and PF.  "However" deep down I couldn't get pass the 39 wins I predicted because I knew SVG would muck it up.  

SVG coaching really lacks creativity and that's okay if you can motivate players to play the right way every game all game long.  We know this can work because we watch LB do it.  I'm not saying SVG was more creative than LB or even equally for that matter, in fact he's far less creative and not nearly the motivator. I think the biggest difference between this 2 coaches beyond all the other obvious differences is that LB as hard as he was also was a teacher and it just seems to be SVG just likes to bark and criticize and play the role of victim.

I don't think Gores should wait to season end to fire SVG he really need to do it today/tomorrow but if he's not then he needs to be already thinking about a replacement come seasons end.  I hope Mr. Gore will do his homework on his next hire and not get caught up in what's popular, or names being dropped by ESPN or whomever as being the next great thing.  CB turn down the Cavs GM job before the season started maybe you might want to consider offering CB a position.  Sheed might not pass a drug screening but I can see him becoming a very good coach and boy I'm smiling now just imagining him getting tossed every other game and that's okay too because this team would be motivated, crafty, smart and tough.  Just give Zeke another opportunity I still believe in him and if you can give the job to SVG sorry ass you certainly can give it to Zeke.

These 3 hires alone would give you national media attention 365, 24/7 and that covers your entertainment portion, but rest assure that your team will play harder and smarter.  Hell they might even contend next season.

IJS facepalm
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Don

Post  Oracle Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Don wrote:If you don't mind I want to throw in this final thought. The Pistons would be very foolish to throw in any draft pick including a 2nd rounder if they have one this season. I don't care if they draft in the 20th position. The only way the Pistons will be a big winner is through the draft. The college kids are getting better and better. At some time if the Pistons keep their picks, they will score big.
I totally agree!!!

Don, I'm in the mode that we need to be collecting 1st & 2nd round picks, NOT giving them away.

We have some good young talent right now, from the very young(Stanley, Kennard & Ellenson) to a bit older talent(Bullock, Harris & Drummond).

We need to be adding to that talent while keeping the best of the bench players and go totally young. The baby Bulls are thriving playing young, that's our best hope!

I would love to get Walker, but not if we have to take on more salary or dead weight that isn't expiring... time to get smart!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty SVG

Post  Sparma Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks BallinD and Oracle.

SVG brings William James to mind who highlighted the choice ("Voluntarism") to maximize truth by believing many propositions or minimize falsehood by believing few (or something in between).

James himself believed a lot, but the idea seemed to be that various approaches could work.

Translated to basketball, d'Antoni illustrates maximizing the good stuff.  Maybe, maybe Vince Lombardi illustrates an extreme of avoiding error.  Steve Kerr might have the ideal balance. Different strokes.

SVG's heavily on the end of avoiding error (to some extent, I identify).  From the get go, he focused on being respectable, not being bad, more so than trying to be great.  He focused on bringing in Vets, who make fewer mistakes than youngsters, even if their ceilings aren't as high.  At the beginning of the season he spoke of focusing on what everyone did best; turned out it was his brother Jeff who encouraged that.  That the turnabout didn't last is illustrated by him pulling the Rook out after a minute, emphatic about avoiding screwing up.  And I've written too much about him keeping the guy on the bench who scores at an amazing rate in favor of the guy who bolsters the D.  He agonizes when things go wrong, and when things might be about to go wrong, grimacing his way through games.

Partly it's a generational thing.  Billy Martin and Earl Weaver were pretty negative guys, but also great managers.  Our own Larry Brown too.  But Weaver had a blueprint for greatness which included stressing the strengths of limited players, and Martin and Brown were masters of elevating the performance of their rosters (in the short team).  SVG's style's old school, but he's missing something those greats had.

I had high hopes that SVG's managerial style (improve incrementally, because the big FAs aren't coming to town) would work in a medium market, even that this would be the season the team would peak for him.

The team's got to go another way now, BallinD, Oracle, Wise, and Philip, and I all agree.  But I think there's something deep in SVG that will keep him from leading the necessary turnaround, even if Gores gives him the opportunity.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:30 pm

Oracle wrote:Right now Embiid appears to be way more effective than Drummond. From the results and evidence, who can argue that point, he's the better center.

But it doesn't have to be that way, Drummond can destroy Embiid in a matchup, he can physically dominate Embiid, but only if we recognize what Drummonds strength is.

It should be clear where Drummonds power comes from, since the reason we got so excited about him for that very reason.

Drummond, unlike Embiid, can't get his shot by himself, but with the right PG, Drummond can get damn near anything he wants, and guys like Embiid, lacking the physical power, will either get out of the way or be part of the poster!

However, that only secures Drummond on the offensive end. Defensively we need a PF that can defend. It doesn't really matter if he can score, although it would be nice if he was a stretch PF, but between Drummond, a PG, Kennard, Harris and possibly Stanley, there aren't enough balls to go around anyway.

My point is that Drummond is a franchise player to build around if you actually know how to do the building.

If management doesn't, then Drummond is a big boat anchor dragging you down!

Note: The window on the Walker trade may have slipped by us, and just say no to Russell.

Good post Oracle. I am not sure about the true impact potential AD might have in the future. I think that is the big mystery relating to this man. I do not think it would be wise to ever build a young team around AD. But I think that in time AD will be more consistent and have more of a positive impact relating to winning games if he is not labeled as the key guy. He has too many flaws to be a franchise player with a roster full of developing players or older players without first tier ability. AD might be really good if he was playing with a more mature team with two or more All Star caliber players. He needs a leader who he can look up to and respect as a player. That type of player could get more out of AD. No coach so far has had a big impact on AD relating to motivating him. Larry Brown was the right guy for Rasheed Wallace. Who is the right coach for AD? I can't think of one of the great coaches who would have patience that SVG has showed him. Yet that has made no difference. He seems poorly prepared to play early on in many games. What kind of homework has he done to prepare himself for the center he will go up against? He was not ready this time around to play against Howard. I was surprised and thought AD would be looking forward to that game. AD needs an alpha dog on his team to force AD to give everything he is capable of giving. I have no doubt that AD would be playing his ass off if Labron James was playing for the Pistons. As of now AD is just another player who has a contract larger than his worth.

If you don't mind I want to throw in this final thought. The Pistons would be very foolish to throw in any draft pick including a 2nd rounder if they have one this season. I don't care if they draft in the 20th position. The only way the Pistons will be a big winner is through the draft. The college kids are getting better and better. At some time if the Pistons keep their picks, they will score big. On the other hand, there is no player out there in the trade market that can turn around this team. I would like Kemba Walker. But Walker might be burned out by the time the Pistons get enough top tier talent to form a good playoff team. I would trade the guy who is worth the most right now and that guy is AD. I don't want to see him go but he is not a good fit for the group that currently plays for the Pistons. And I do not want Cousins for AD. He is a mental case. Moving AD could put the Pistons in a better financial position.

If nothing happens before the trade deadline I will hope for the best and our Pistons could regroup with some changes in the rotation and end on a good note. I am not sure the odds are good that it will happen but will pull for all of the players including AD until we know for sure about playoff possibilities. If the team falls completely flat again like last season, the final insult would be that he takes the position that he will not tank and play his youngsters while moving up in the first round of the draft. SVG should have been fired at the end of last season for not doing that. We have some young guys who have potential. We don't even know about Ellenson because he doesn't play. If Harris is missing his shots, Ellenson needs to take some of his minutes. SVG has no trust in Henry. We have less trust that SVG will do what is best for the Pistons in the long run. What is Tom Gores thinking? In which direction will he go if he does fire SVG? I would think about picking up Kidd. He could possibly do something positive with AD. By the way, I wouldn't mind having the Bucks backup point guard Brogdon.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Kidd & Gores

Post  Sparma Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 pm

I may be wrong, but I think that as NBA owner Gores likes to be a nice guy, so he won't be firing SVG until at least this summer.

BallinD wrote:
WTF wrote:IMO the Pistons shouldn't make a move just for the sake of getting thumped in the 1st round.  What I honestly would like to see is a Fire Sale at trade deadline.

It won't happen with SVG still in play so firing him today would need to happen to even begin thinking along those terms.

@Sparma:  Either the Bucks owners are more hungry than the Piston's owners, or they mercifully think we need an alternative to SVG, so they are offering up Jason Kidd.  Either way I like the example they are showing Gores.  Just Do It! guitar guitar
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Why build around Drummond?

Post  Oracle Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Right now Embiid appears to be way more effective than Drummond. From the results and evidence, who can argue that point, he's the better center.

But it doesn't have to be that way, Drummond can destroy Embiid in a matchup, he can physically dominate Embiid, but only if we recognize what Drummonds strength is.

It should be clear where Drummonds power comes from, since the reason we got so excited about him for that very reason.

Drummond, unlike Embiid, can't get his shot by himself, but with the right PG, Drummond can get damn near anything he wants, and guys like Embiid, lacking the physical power, will either get out of the way or be part of the poster!

However, that only secures Drummond on the offensive end. Defensively we need a PF that can defend. It doesn't really matter if he can score, although it would be nice if he was a stretch PF, but between Drummond, a PG, Kennard, Harris and possibly Stanley, there aren't enough balls to go around anyway.

My point is that Drummond is a franchise player to build around if you actually know how to do the building.

If management doesn't, then Drummond is a big boat anchor dragging you down!

Note: The window on the Walker trade may have slipped by us, and just say no to Russell.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Vision...

Post  Oracle Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 pm

First, thanks for the Kidd info Wise, they waited way too long for that firing. I would have fired him right after he traded their heart and soul Brandon Knight. They still haven't been as good as they were when he was running the show. They got the 6th seed in a powerful eastern conference, and haven't been that good since. It's hard to find the level of chemistry they had between Knight and the rest of that team, and once you find it, you need to find ways to nurture it.

Second, while it's dangerous to give up on youngsters too soon, it's also dangerous to see way too much in chemistry of a couple of games. Not saying we shouldn't look long and hard to see what we have there, but expecting too much isn't too wise either.

Now on to Sparma's stellar post:
Sparma wrote:BallinD:  "Unleash Boban and I bet we start to see attendance rise. Play SJ and Kennard together for longer stretches and I bet attendance will rise." - Ballin, heaven knows they need to do something about attendance! Looking at all of those seats posing as fans last game was depressing!

That sounds like an exciting possibility.

If I were in charge, I'd go for a major overhaul now. - I don't know about major, but fairly big, and built around Drummond, more on that in my next post!

Read something heartening about Bradley at DBB: while he's crummy at team D, he's really good man to man, and that skill becomes crucial in the playoffs when offenses (other than GS and maybe the Rockets) slow way down and rely more on isos, where Bradley can really help.  Maybe a contender would be interested in a trade? Yes, Bradley is crummy at team defense, but he's amazingly crummy for this team was the general agreement of the podcast. He would be great in the playoffs, but only as long as the person he's guarding doesn't know how to easily beat him. IMO, analytics don't like him because he's only effective if someone sees he's a shrimp and falsely believes they can back him down and score. Bradley is effective if he can feel your body, but if you just blow by him he looks pretty stupid.

My point there: you got to, got to trade Bradley.  He about to walk away for nothing or get overpaid, while you've got a guy who's already about as good or better in your 1st round pick. I've been singing that song for quite some time, and I don't care who wants the credit, just move Bradley ASAP, he's a losing situation for us and now almost everybody knows it.

Much as I love Boban, if Cleveland would go for Boban and Bradley for Brooklyn's first & (?), you've got to do it. This is the single most important mission for SVG. Do whatever it takes to accomplish these two things that are closely related.
1. Make moves that return first and 2nd round picks, all while
2. Unloading salary as much as possible

But in the meantime, play your 1st rounders from the past 3 years, along with Reggie B.  I'd be happy to give Moreland JYD minutes.  Get a youth movement going. ABSOLUTELY
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Cold shooting, cold weather, fans barking at his heals and SVG paces in the coaches office wondering what went wrong

Post  cool breeze Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 pm

This season is far from over yet the trade deadline is approaching. SVG must be considering the true fact that his highest paid players that he as coached for a lot of games do not lead when the going gets tough. That is what I keep thinking. When the shots do not fall easily from distance by the starting unit in the first half of games and the third quarter, I do not see where the effort picks up by the starters. I see no spark from them. None of them are real leaders who can pull out a team when things are going bad. Instead it seems that the young guys do that at times. In the last game, it was Stanley johnson who knocked heads with some of the Nets players in the paint. He made forceful drives. If you make those shots or miss them it sends a message that you at least have not given up. Andre Drummond now seems to be resting a lot until the last 5 minutes of each game. The good part is that he can stay in the game at least during crunch time and does give a powerful effort. I think the problem with the Pistons still is the same one they have had since Mr. BigShot was traded. They have no supreme leader who is among the best NBA players at his position. None of the starters are the best at their individual position and in fact are far down the list in every position but center. And our center still has a lot to learn about what it takes to win. The one thing that I will say is this. It takes time for players to gel as a team. They need to suffer through the bad times and form a bond turning a bad situation into a good one. The Pistons have beaten some of the best teams in the league. But lately things have gone into the toilet. They start games poorly missing easy shots. Then the players start pressing because they feel that loss of confidence. Then Smith goes solo trying by himself to create the offense. This team is repeating the same mistakes and you can see the starters energy sink before the end of the first quarter. Remember last season in January when everything came crashing down. Many of the same players were involved in that nightmare which lasted for the rest of the season. Opposing teams will bad records look forward to playing the Pistons. You can see that they feel very confident that if they play hard the Pistons will give up quickly in the first quarter and third quarter. Wait a minute, that is when our starters are playing. Who would have guessed it?

Now the talk is about D'Angelo Russell. We already have players on our team that do not play point guard who are better than Russell if they could get a shot at playing that position. How about Kennard having the ball in his hands more and playing Smith no more than 20 minutes a game? Kemba Walker got me excited. I imagine that every team in the league has given SVG the thumbs down on Reggie Jackson.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Can We Fire Him Yesterday?

Post  BallinD Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 pm

WTF wrote:IMO the Pistons shouldn't make a move just for the sake of getting thumped in the 1st round.  What I honestly would like to see is a Fire Sale at trade deadline.

It won't happen with SVG still in play so firing him today would need to happen to even begin thinking along those terms.

@Sparma: Either the Bucks owners are more hungry than the Piston's owners, or they mercifully think we need an alternative to SVG, so they are offering up Jason Kidd. Either way I like the example they are showing Gores. Just Do It! guitar guitar
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty You See Gores It's Easy To Do

Post  WTF Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Bucks wrote:"We appreciate everything that Jason has done for the Bucks organization, but we have decided to make a coaching change," Bucks general manager Jon Horst said in a statement. "We believe that a fresh approach and a change in leadership are needed to continue elevating our talented team towards the next level, bringing us closer to our goal of competing for championships.

Grow a pair and fire SVG
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Cash In All The Big Chips

Post  WTF Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 pm

IMO the Pistons shouldn't make a move just for the sake of getting thumped in the 1st round.  What I honestly would like to see is a Fire Sale at trade deadline.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  BallinD Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Sparma wrote:

My point there: you got to, got to trade Bradley.  He about to walk away for nothing or get overpaid, while you've got a guy who's already about as good or better in your 1st round pick. !Clearly, and that is the point of not trying to win now (checkers moves) but position ourselves to win it all (chess).  I fear SVG is a decent checkers player but a piss poor chess player!

Much as I love Boban, if Cleveland would go for Boban and Bradley for Brooklyn's first & (?), you've got to do it.  Agreed!

But in the meantime, play your 1st rounders from the past 3 years, along with Reggie B.  I'd be happy to give Moreland JYD minutes.  Get a youth movement going. Yes!

If you've got Boban, play him as many minutes as Pops did in his last year there.  Cut AD's minutes just a touch, guaranteeing max effort.  Likely Boban's worth more to us (or to a smart coach) then he is on the trade market now.

SVG needs to go, but that's unlikely to happen during the season.  He's got some executive skills, but not the right ones for a true rebuild.  Too worried about failing, but not willing to really shoot for the stars.  Master of Panic

Great Post Sparma.  He may be getting closer to using his cranium (complex thoughts) and ignoring his amygdala (fear) as the season wears on and losing catches up to Old Yeller , who quacks like a dog so much, people begin to openly question his stupidities!  Maybe it's time for Jeff Van Gundy to whisper at him again!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 37 Empty Vision

Post  Sparma Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:05 pm

BallinD: "Unleash Boban and I bet we start to see attendance rise. Play SJ and Kennard together for longer stretches and I bet attendance will rise."

That sounds like an exciting possibility.

If I were in charge, I'd go for a major overhaul now.

Read something heartening about Bradley at DBB: while he's crummy at team D, he's really good man to man, and that skill becomes crucial in the playoffs when offenses (other than GS and maybe the Rockets) slow way down and rely more on isos, where Bradley can really help. Maybe a contender would be interested in a trade?

My point there: you got to, got to trade Bradley. He about to walk away for nothing or get overpaid, while you've got a guy who's already about as good or better in your 1st round pick.

Much as I love Boban, if Cleveland would go for Boban and Bradley for Brooklyn's first & (?), you've got to do it.

But in the meantime, play your 1st rounders from the past 3 years, along with Reggie B. I'd be happy to give Moreland JYD minutes. Get a youth movement going.

If you've got Boban, play him as many minutes as Pops did in his last year there. Cut AD's minutes just a touch, guaranteeing max effort. Likely Boban's worth more to us (or to a smart coach) then he is on the trade market now.

Anyone can go for the right offer, but AD would need to fetch a real premium, as would the kids.

Harris likely would get a nice return now. Reggie J pretty well needs to go, but you'd probably need to let him come back from injury before you could trade him (this summer). Tolliver's made an outstanding contribution, but his deal's up, so trade him. Might anyone be willing to trade for Galloway if he could be the sharp shooter of early this summer?

SVG needs to go, but that's unlikely to happen during the season. He's got some executive skills, but not the right ones for a true rebuild. Too worried about failing, but not willing to really shoot for the stars.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next