FORUM

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Don, they're playing this way for a reason!

Post  Oracle on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 pm

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/add-ish-smith-long-list-pistons-whove-played-their-best-during-4-0-run wrote:AUBURN HILLS – The Pistons are 4-0 since they made the trade for Blake Griffin and Griffin has sucked most of the oxygen from the room – to his teammates’ delight.

Andre Drummond nearly averaged 20 and 20 over last week’s three wins, won Eastern Conference Player of the Week and had a game that filled the stat sheet like no one’s done since Hakeem Olajuwon nearly 30 years ago – and that got some attention, too.

Stanley Johnson, seizing on opportunity created by the trading of Avery Bradley and Tobias Harris, got whatever credit was left over for successful stints guarding everyone from LeBron James to Damian Lillard.

So it’s understandable that almost no one has noticed what Ish Smith’s been getting done.

“He’s been really, really good,” Stan Van Gundy nodded after Tuesday’s practice.

How about 25 assists and two turnovers – a gaudy 12.5:1 ratio – over the four-game win streak? Or a .574 shooting performance while averaging 15.8 points and 6.3 assists in 32 minutes a game?

And the Pistons, who after going 3-12 from Dec. 27 after Reggie Jackson was hurt the previous night through Jan. 28 with the NBA’s No. 28-ranked offense, have been both the league’s No. 7 offense and defense over their 4-0 run to pull themselves back to .500.

Over the course of the week, Johnson scored a career-high 26 points, Reggie Bullock matched a career high with 22 points, Smith set a season high with 25 points and Anthony Tolliver matched a season high with 20 points.

“That’s what it takes is a lot of guys have played well,” Van Gundy said, ticking off pretty much all eight players who played before benches cleared in the final few minutes of Monday’s 20-point dousing of Portland. “We’ve gotten a lot of guys to play well and that’s what it takes to win.”

The Pistons hope to get Jackson back by the end of the month – the projection is that he’ll start running during the All-Star break – to complete the picture, but Smith’s steady hand has lessened the urgency.

To the extent Griffin’s arrival has altered Smith’s role with the Pistons running offense through their multitalented power forward, it’s only seemed to make him more efficient.

“We use Blake to initiate offense, but Ish gets plenty of opportunities,” Van Gundy said. “Ish is a transition player. Both Ish and Blake can find their opportunities. I don’t think we have anybody that can’t find their opportunities. Probably the guy we directed the most offense at other than Blake last night was Langston (Galloway) when he was in.”

Add Galloway to the list of players whose play has spiked over the past week. He’s coming off back-to-back 13-point performances off the bench with 10 assists and two turnovers serving as Smith’s backup while Dwight Buycks missed time with illness and at well as at shooting guard.

cool breeze wrote:
Oracle wrote:Don: I saw the Zeke stuff and agree, it was special to hear him go through how you need to see the floor. However, you can't listen to what Blake says about SVG. His relationship with SVG is going to be a hell of a lot different than with other players.

Wise: I agree that Andre needs to keep it up, but the dynamic has changed! The addition of Blake won't allow him to take nights off, the embarrassment factor alone won't allow it to happen. This is what a STAR coming means, everybody in on front street and they have to live up to the star and perform better. This is exactly what turned me around so early, I've seen this movie before!

Lemon & Don:  I know Reggie has a checkered past, but the game he got hurt, he was balling the way he needs to with this team. While some caution is reasonable, IMO, the evidence and current conditions makes me believe a 70% Reggie is better than what we're doing now.

Will he get the big head again? Likely, once the winning starts, but I really don't care. Blake is the new sheriff in town, and everybody on this team knows that... Reggie will too! 

Short answer:  Like Murph, I'm not worried about the little details, he'll make us a lot better and that's the big picture.

I was hoping for a trade before the deadline involving Reggie Jackson but I can't find anything involving trade rumors regarding him. Looks like the Pistons got a $7mil trade exemption in the Blake deal. Leuer's injury gives the Pistons more room too. Oracle it is true that Reggie Jackson played more like a ball sharing point guard in the game that he was injured. Maybe after watching Blake Griffin run the offense from the top of the key will make Jackson think that his old style will not work with what is going on now. SVG could have his hands full relating to Reggie and it will be interesting to see if the coach is in charge or Reggie is still in charge. I do not want one player to destroy the current tone of this team. The Pistons look like hard nosed bastards from the past. They are not playing as if they are worried about wrinkling their dresses. Players are fighting harder on defense. I know this much. If Isiah Thomas were running the Pistons instead of Stan Van Gundy, there would be no talk at all about Reggie Jackson. He would have been long gone. I do not want to watch Reggie walk the ball up the court in slow motion and allow opposing teams to set up their half court defense just so Reggie can catch his breath. There is a time to slow things down but not when dribbling the ball up past the half court line. If Reggie wants to get in proper shape or is healthy enough to do it, and he has the desire to play hard nosed defense to fit this team, then I am OK with it. But I have never seen him play effective defense in college or the NBA. So he is the weak link in my opinion. With all that nasty stuff out of the way, I will hope for a miracle that something within Reggie Jackson's soul will come forth and onto the hardwood to perform like the star player SVG thinks he might be. Jackson has all the tools with those long arms and quickness to be a top tier defender. He doesn't seem to have the juice though. But if he plays off the ball and isn't trying to create using up what juice he has, then maybe he can get over ball screens against top tier hot shooting point guards. Is Reggie involved in practice yet? Does anyone have any idea about a point guard that SVG might get before the deadline?
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Oracle wrote:Don: I saw the Zeke stuff and agree, it was special to hear him go through how you need to see the floor. However, you can't listen to what Blake says about SVG. His relationship with SVG is going to be a hell of a lot different than with other players.

Wise: I agree that Andre needs to keep it up, but the dynamic has changed! The addition of Blake won't allow him to take nights off, the embarrassment factor alone won't allow it to happen. This is what a STAR coming means, everybody in on front street and they have to live up to the star and perform better. This is exactly what turned me around so early, I've seen this movie before!

Lemon & Don:  I know Reggie has a checkered past, but the game he got hurt, he was balling the way he needs to with this team. While some caution is reasonable, IMO, the evidence and current conditions makes me believe a 70% Reggie is better than what we're doing now.

Will he get the big head again? Likely, once the winning starts, but I really don't care. Blake is the new sheriff in town, and everybody on this team knows that... Reggie will too! 

Short answer:  Like Murph, I'm not worried about the little details, he'll make us a lot better and that's the big picture.

I was hoping for a trade before the deadline involving Reggie Jackson but I can't find anything involving trade rumors regarding him. Looks like the Pistons got a $7mil trade exemption in the Blake deal. Leuer's injury gives the Pistons more room too. Oracle it is true that Reggie Jackson played more like a ball sharing point guard in the game that he was injured. Maybe after watching Blake Griffin run the offense from the top of the key will make Jackson think that his old style will not work with what is going on now. SVG could have his hands full relating to Reggie and it will be interesting to see if the coach is in charge or Reggie is still in charge. I do not want one player to destroy the current tone of this team. The Pistons look like hard nosed bastards from the past. They are not playing as if they are worried about wrinkling their dresses. Players are fighting harder on defense. I know this much. If Isiah Thomas were running the Pistons instead of Stan Van Gundy, there would be no talk at all about Reggie Jackson. He would have been long gone. I do not want to watch Reggie walk the ball up the court in slow motion and allow opposing teams to set up their half court defense just so Reggie can catch his breath. There is a time to slow things down but not when dribbling the ball up past the half court line. If Reggie wants to get in proper shape or is healthy enough to do it, and he has the desire to play hard nosed defense to fit this team, then I am OK with it. But I have never seen him play effective defense in college or the NBA. So he is the weak link in my opinion. With all that nasty stuff out of the way, I will hope for a miracle that something within Reggie Jackson's soul will come forth and onto the hardwood to perform like the star player SVG thinks he might be. Jackson has all the tools with those long arms and quickness to be a top tier defender. He doesn't seem to have the juice though. But if he plays off the ball and isn't trying to create using up what juice he has, then maybe he can get over ball screens against top tier hot shooting point guards. Is Reggie involved in practice yet? Does anyone have any idea about a point guard that SVG might get before the deadline?

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stuff...

Post  Oracle on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Don: I saw the Zeke stuff and agree, it was special to hear him go through how you need to see the floor. However, you can't listen to what Blake says about SVG. His relationship with SVG is going to be a hell of a lot different than with other players.

Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RJax

Post  lemonpen on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Murph wrote:Don, I have no idea what you're talking about, when you bring up Reggie Jackson.  Think about it.  All Reggie has to do to help the team improve when he returns is to out-play the current back-up PG, Dwight Buycks.  That shouldn't be hard.

I like Buycks as a third string PG with an inspirational story, but he's playing so badly that Galloway, who is really more of a SG, has taken all his minutes.
I think Don has legitimate concerns regarding Reggie's acceptance of a lesser / different role. I'm damned concerned, cause I'm not convinced SVG will stand strongly enough if the poop hits the rotary oscillator.

Until the night comes when an opponent is able to expose our weaknesses to the tune of an L the mirage we call our playoff ceiling remains unlimited; with a HUGE assumption that we get a fully functional and ALL-IN RJax. IMO there are no positive outcomes with Reggie anywhere but in the starting unit. In fact I believe there will be Big Trouble in Little China if RJAX gets Wally Pipped. Also, it is critical that Ish returns to making our bench the best in the Association. Just my view of things to come.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Isiah Thomas on how you can read the defense as a point guard

Post  cool breeze on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 am

I hope some of you watched Zeke last night on NBA TV after the Piston game. Towards the end of the post game show the subject came up about what you need to do as a point guard to be able to read the defense you are playing against. This was pretty cool for me because my JV coach taught me the same thing. As a point guard you have to always be looking at the rim. If you look at a teammate or a pretty cheer leader, your focus will be off. If you look at the rim you can actually see the entire court and know where all the players are located. Watching some of our current and former point guards for the Pistons perform who are ball dominate type point guards it has always been clear in my mind that they cannot see the court very well because their focus is on their defender. They do not want to give up the ball and tend to have tunnel vision which usually makes them feel uncomfortable to the point where they will drive the ball out of control into the paint not knowing where any of their teammates or the opposition is located when they do that.

With that said, I am watching Ish Smith closely and finding that he has adjusted his vision and has now moved up a notch in his ability to see the court and his teammates much better and has avoided making some of the mistakes he has made in the past. In the last few games, Smith has been giving up the ball early usually to Blake and is moving to the baseline corner or finding open spaces in the opposing defense. This is great news.

NBA TV had an interview with Blake Griffin in this same post game show which was really cool. Zeke fired a lot of questions at Blake and for those of you who saw this interview, you must have come out of it thinking WOW we have a really smart basketball player who for sure has leadership ability. I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Blake Griffin before this trade. I knew he was powerful and athletic but I didn't know how smart he is. Blake has made a great effort to bond with these Piston players. He wants to win and knows the tradition relating to the Bad Boys.

I can never get enough Zeke. He provides insightful observations every night on NBA TV. He identified what he used to do to find the right players before the draft when he was a GM. He said that if didn't have the 1st or 2nd overall pick in the draft who would be considered "carrier" type players, then he would try to envision whoever was left in his slots which players could at some time in their career be part of a championship team. There are a lot of great shooters that enter the draft who could not fill a role on a championship caliber team. At this time in his career, I think Zeke is happy where he is at and would not want to get into the pressure cooker relating to coaching. But his communication skills and his fun type of personality would make any athlete want to perform for him. He is as smart as anyone in basketball. His loyalty during his days as a leader of championship teams makes him almost bigger than life. So is there any doubt that Isiah Thomas would fill that new arena if he would agree to coach the Pistons or be given the duel role SVG currently has with the Pistons? Yet during the NBA TV's interview with Blake Griffin,

Blake spoke very highly of SVG and was surprised at how organized and detail orientated Stan has been as his coach. I don't hear any player complaining about the coach either like they did when other coaches had that job. We all have our criticisms with SVG but he must be doing something positive that we never hear about. Last night the Pistons sure passed the ball more. Players were sharing the basketball. The game was really sloppy with many Piston payers making bone head decisions with the basketball but they were sharing the ball, moving without the ball, playing both sides of the court and setting screens for each other. Portland was playing their 3rd game in 4 nights too. The Piston players need to stay healthy and cut down on the unforced errors. They have the right kind of energy now. They will have the leadership that was missing with Blake Griffin. He is from Oklahoma and is used to cold weather.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Huh?

Post  Murph on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 am

Don, I have no idea what you're talking about, when you bring up Reggie Jackson. Think about it. All Reggie has to do to help the team improve when he returns is to out-play the current back-up PG, Dwight Buycks. That shouldn't be hard.

I like Buycks as a third string PG with an inspirational story, but he's playing so badly that Galloway, who is really more of a SG, has taken all his minutes.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

AD

Post  WTF on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 am

AD been balling like I expected him to be balling over the last 4 or 5 games but I would like to see it for the remainder of the season.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Getting Better

Post  Murph on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:35 am

The Pistons were firing on all cylinders last night.  The defense, led by 3 more Drummond blocks, was stifling.   Stanley Johnson guarded Lillard much of the night, holding him below his season averages in points, assists and rebounds.

All of our shooters were on.   Bullock, Galloway, Tolliver and Kennard went a combined 10-18 from the 3 point line.  Even Reggie Hearn hit a 3 in his NBA debute.  

We moved the ball well.  In fact, we had twice as many assists as Portland and their vaunted backcourt.  Ish led with 7 assists, Griffin and Galloway had 6, Drummond had 5, Kennard and SJ had 4.  And we out-rebounded Portland 51-44.

We pretty much beat the Portland in every aspect of the game, and as Oracle pointed out, the Blazers were a very good team coming in.

Last edited by Murph on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well Deserved... Drummond Eastern Conference Player of the Week

Post  Oracle on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 am

These are all star numbers when you average 19.3 points, 19.0 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 3.3 steals, and 2.7 blocks

Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good News...

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Orlando upsets the Heat!!!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Defense!!!

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm

They're really playing with confidence now!

A bit of a scare when Andre went down after twisting his ankle, but was later seen on the sideline jumping up and down.

Nice to have a laugher, garbage time even Darko would be impressed with

Stanley shot horribly, but played great defense, Luke finally finds his shot... go youngsters!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Oracle wrote:
Don wrote:Oracle I often have wondered what kind of player KCP would have been if the Pistons had run a motion offense in his first season with the Pistons. Young players understandably will have great difficulty on offense if the team doesn't run some type of organized offense with player movement like the Motion offense. Pope was told from day one to stand either on the wing or baseline corner. It took years for the coach to integrate him into his offense. Every young player has struggled under SVG's system on offense. Who can get a feel for the game when you seldom if ever touch the basketball. Dumars brought in Brandon Jennings and then SVG decided Reggie Jackson would provide more individual scoring and excitement with the pick and roll play to Drummond. He wasn't thinking about how Pope would adapt and develop. Maybe a guy like Morris could stand in place and still be an effective shooter because he was older with more experience. I keep thinking about who really excelled among the skill players and actually thrived in SVG's system. I don't think he has a system unless one considers simpleton play ground basketball a system. In Pope's last season, I only say one designed play for Pope where the point guard passed the basketball and set a screen for Pope on the baseline or wing and he would get that 10 foot jump shot which showed his potential as a mid range shooter.  Don, I don't think that SVG thinks things through to their logical conclusion, he appears to shoot from the hip and pray. He played KCP way too many minutes, and some of those games it would have been smarter to play someone else, but he also has a one track mind. He over played Bradley and he's been over playing Blake... this crap has to change.

It appears to me that SVG and his staff should get the designation that they were extremely lazy coaches who never adjusted their offense to fit their roster. In many cases the younger players were better players before they arrived then they were when they left relating to playing offense. In every case the confidence factor with the young players was low. You and Wise are basically observing the same thing and that's what good coached do, they play to their rosters strength. Carlisle, Flip & LB all did that very well, likely Carlisle was the best because he found ways to damn near play the whole team, which is harder to do than it sounds. Coaches generally limit the number of players to the amount they can fit in their heads.

As for what is currently going on maybe we should give SVG a pass for awhile until the team can at least practice one time. SVG threw Blake out on the court without a practice. It was a bit refreshing for me to at least see him dribble the ball up the court and create offense instead of the point guard. What if this team scrapped using a point guard at times and allowed Blake to be the point forward and then put out strong defenders in every position? I keep trying to remember how the Pistons functioned when Grant Hill ran the offense. I am trying to visualize Blake being a part of the Piston motion offense. He sure could set some great screens. He knows the angles. Blake moves well and is extremely strong and I agree that he is not the athlete he once was but his basketball IQ is much higher now. He has supreme confidence appearing fearless and that seems to inspire his new teammates. Griffin went up against a good defender last night and his outside shot was not going in so he had a tougher time being successful in the paint. Hopefully this coaching staff can get smarter and figure out what kind of offense will work best. But there is another issue to deal with coming soon. What is going to happen when Reggie returns? Will it be like last season or can Reggie offer more than total dysfunction? How quick will SVG react if things go south? Right now the team chemistry is fantastic. Players are making a lot of mistakes but they are all getting along well and pulling for each other. Griffin's pass to Smith in that big moment of the game when Smith drained the 3 point shot, showed that Blake trusted Smith in that deciding moment. That play to me was bigger than Smith making the shot that locked up the game. Griffin did the hard work to set that shot up for Smith and trusted him. Every player went crazy. How long has it been since we have seen Piston players get that excited? I wonder what is going on in Reggie Jackson's brain now. He will come in soon to put his stamp on the team. Will the team chemistry get stronger or weaker. I honestly have no idea but wouldn't want to be in Reggie's shoes right now of course unless I could feel what it is like cashing those big checks he is getting. Galloway and Buycks are playing well right now at least. Smith has been on a great streak as a starter. If nothing else, this is going to get real exciting if this team shows the ability to get better and can get lucky.  Two things here. First, I agree, we should give SVG some time, but I don't have much faith he will get it right, I do have faith that Blake and Drummond will get it right. I get the feeling that since Blake came here, the players really believe they can make a solid run if they get it right. This is a chance they didn't think they would get and they don't want to waste it. Players may well lead this charge!

Second, I totally agree! That pass from your star is very important, and players see that as a trust thing and they are inspired to deliver. LeBron does this a lot to raise the level of role players. It didn't matter if he made the shot, the message has been sent, the star is like a black hole, sucking the defense all towards him and your role is clear and simple be READY! I loved that as you did on many levels. Of course it helped that Ish was hot a s hell Smile 

When asked as to if SVG is trying to trade for another star player to form a Big Three combination Stan responded by saying that he thinks that the team already has that 3rd All Star type player in Reggie Jackson. Maybe SVG should take a course that years ago was offered at U of M in the Philosophy Department. U of M should be too far away for SVG to drive maybe this summer. I took the course and still think it might have been the most interesting and most helpful thing that I learned in college. What I am referring to is "Objectivism". In this course you learn how to weed out and identify propaganda that has creeped into your brain and caused you to go off course at times. This helped me not to go through the wrong door in life. You learn how to form basic premises that can help you identify where you as an individual might be in relationship to knowing how to identify truth. You learn how to become more objective with yourself by trusting in yourself while believing that you can actually make critical decisions based on logic and reason and not what someone or a group might think. You are forced to check your premises and find as many objective facts as you can to guide you. That takes hard work. If one works at it then one can be more successful in all areas of life. Perfecting your critical thinking is an ongoing process you need to practice everyday. Perhaps I go astray at times myself with the Pistons when I go too far trying to protect players I want to be successful. Maybe I try to defy logic and reason. We all do it.

But what does that have to do with SVG? In all fairness, SVG did advise that his GM is always working on potential trade ideas to improve the team. Isn't he a bit too confident that Reggie Jackson can not only fit in with this style as a dominate ball dictator type point guard but is actually in the league of special All Star type players or first tier type of point guards like Isiah Thomas? Zeke says that he had to change how he played from game to game at times based on how his teammates were performing and everything he did involving his strong desire to win games not to look score points or look flashy. Zeke could play any type of style. Reggie Jackson was a back up point guard on the Thunder. His teammates were not so happy with the way he tried to dominate. The Thunder coaches tried hard to get him to change his style to fit that team. He never really tried to do it so what makes SVG think he can change now? When he was traded, Reggie was able to score a lot for the Pistons and was a fine performer at the end of games. But the Pistons really only had developing type players with no fully developed star type players. Reggie could be Reggie dominating almost every possession. He could get away with turning over the ball a lot. Reggie was the MAN. My problem with this is of course that Reggie Jackson had a good streak for onlyone season on a different type of team that the Pistons have now. Has SVG forgotten this fact. Last season Jackson would have rated as the worst starting point guard in the league on both offense and defense. He has played better on offense this season but was never graded as a consistent type starting point guard according to what I saw during the games before his injury. Just what is it that SVG sees in Reggie Jackson that could make him a good fit for the Pistons? I for one enjoy what Griffin is bringing to this Piston team. He is recognized already as the team leader after only 2 games. His ability to break down a defense with his powerful and athletic body forces defenses to change how they have previously played the Pistons. Other players now are moving and believing that they can get open and he will find them. That was never the case when Reggie dominated the basketball. Only AD could feel that RJ would get him touches. No guarantees for the young players for sure. Reggie would look at a young guy open on the wing or baseline and then turn the other way and pass the ball to Harris or AD 75% of the time. If SVG approves of that then something is wrong with him. But if SVG believes Reggie was only being a ball hog because he believed that he had no other options and will now show his willingness to give up the ball and learn how to get himself open without the ball and drill open shots from distance then I am willing to give that a try. But to think Reggie is going to change the way he has always played basketball is asking for a miracle in my opinion. And that doesn't take into consideration Reggie Jackson's lame defensive effort.

Ish Smith even at his size is less of a risk for the Pistons on defense than Reggie Jackson. There has never been a screen that I have seen Reggie anticipate and get over when playing against a strong 3 point shooter. He takes the easy way which is under those screens. And isn't SVG worried that it might take Reggie Jackson until May until he is actually in proper game shape? I really didn't think he looked in great game shape before his injury. He always has his arms on his hips. He looks exhausted 80% of the time he is on the court. I know that I must be wrong about what I believe is lazy thinking with SVG if he is basing the success of the team on Reggie Jackson's return. I do not think he fits this team well. I would like to see a Paul George type of point guard who can hold his own on defense while knowing how to play off the ball allowing his teammates to help make plays like the way Blake broke down the Miami defense and passed the ball to Smith at the end of the last game. Reggie Jackson cannot see the court well enough and does not have the mental power to operate well enough in the paint and find open shooters if AD is not open. He is tricky in the paint when he is looking for his shot and is great at finishing those shots. But is that what this team needs now? That stuff is used when you have very little talent and are forced to allow the point guard to dominate the basketball. I hate to question SVG's strategy but it appears he believes that his old 4 out and 1 in style will now really work well with his All Star player Reggie Jackson leading the way. It doesn't appear that SVG feels he has any weakness at all at the point guard spot. SVG should have the pulse of his team and know what might work best after being around these players for so long, so maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself and just watch and see what happens. But it doesn't feel right. I think the team is better off without Reggie Jackson at least for the rest of this season. With Blake Griffin taking on the offensive pressure, players like Smith, Galloway and Buycks can play relaxed. I worry that the return of Reggie will bring big dysfunction for both the offense and defense. And Reggie must be worried as to if he will screw up the team chemistry once he checks in now that Griffin has arrived. During the 8 game losing streak, Reggie was sitting pretty thinking about what it will be like when he gets healthy and starts playing again. He couldn't have been worried about screwing up anything because the team was playing so badly. But not now. The team has formed an identity that they never had with Reggie at full strength. The roster players are trying to move away from having a soft reputation. Reggie Jackson has a very soft reputation around the league when it comes to him guarding anyone. Meanwhile, I see Smith playing his heart out when he gets caught in switches and has to try to defend a player who is a foot taller. His teammates see his effort and love him. Will the players love Reggie when he returns? I only have questions and no answers but what SVG said about his belief that the Pistons already have their Big 3 seems a bit insane.

in my opinion, the Pistons would be better off starting no point guard and playing with 5 hard nosed defenders with Blake Griffin playing point forward while handling the basketball a lot not necessarily to shoot it more but he takes the pressure off his teammates in a big way. His teammates will work really hard to get open to make it all work if he is in charge of the offense. I just don't think that players get very excited when Reggie Jackson has the ball in his hands 80% of the time. He needs to touch it not more than 15% of the time. SVG and his assistant coaches who coach the guards seem inflexible or unable to improve guard play or install a variety of offensive options for the team. Either the coaches including SVG are screwing off most of the time when they are not sitting on the bench in games or maybe they think there is only one way to do things. Oracle you identified the fact that SVG abandoned the motion offense as soon as Blake arrived.Everything when back to iso plays. I am sure Griffin knows how the motion offense works. But SVG seems stuck in the dark ages. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that way. If he doesn't press the right buttons and the Pistons lose a lot of games, it sure looks like he will be fired at the end of the season.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tough game tonight...

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:05 pm

The Trail Blazers are not pushovers!

They're sitting in 6th seed in the west and sport a nice winning record. Defense will be the key, we likely can't out score them... should be interesting!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Don wrote:Oracle I often have wondered what kind of player KCP would have been if the Pistons had run a motion offense in his first season with the Pistons. Young players understandably will have great difficulty on offense if the team doesn't run some type of organized offense with player movement like the Motion offense. Pope was told from day one to stand either on the wing or baseline corner. It took years for the coach to integrate him into his offense. Every young player has struggled under SVG's system on offense. Who can get a feel for the game when you seldom if ever touch the basketball. Dumars brought in Brandon Jennings and then SVG decided Reggie Jackson would provide more individual scoring and excitement with the pick and roll play to Drummond. He wasn't thinking about how Pope would adapt and develop. Maybe a guy like Morris could stand in place and still be an effective shooter because he was older with more experience. I keep thinking about who really excelled among the skill players and actually thrived in SVG's system. I don't think he has a system unless one considers simpleton play ground basketball a system. In Pope's last season, I only say one designed play for Pope where the point guard passed the basketball and set a screen for Pope on the baseline or wing and he would get that 10 foot jump shot which showed his potential as a mid range shooter.  Don, I don't think that SVG thinks things through to their logical conclusion, he appears to shoot from the hip and pray. He played KCP way too many minutes, and some of those games it would have been smarter to play someone else, but he also has a one track mind. He over played Bradley and he's been over playing Blake... this crap has to change.

It appears to me that SVG and his staff should get the designation that they were extremely lazy coaches who never adjusted their offense to fit their roster. In many cases the younger players were better players before they arrived then they were when they left relating to playing offense. In every case the confidence factor with the young players was low. You and Wise are basically observing the same thing and that's what good coached do, they play to their rosters strength. Carlisle, Flip & LB all did that very well, likely Carlisle was the best because he found ways to damn near play the whole team, which is harder to do than it sounds. Coaches generally limit the number of players to the amount they can fit in their heads.

As for what is currently going on maybe we should give SVG a pass for awhile until the team can at least practice one time. SVG threw Blake out on the court without a practice. It was a bit refreshing for me to at least see him dribble the ball up the court and create offense instead of the point guard. What if this team scrapped using a point guard at times and allowed Blake to be the point forward and then put out strong defenders in every position? I keep trying to remember how the Pistons functioned when Grant Hill ran the offense. I am trying to visualize Blake being a part of the Piston motion offense. He sure could set some great screens. He knows the angles. Blake moves well and is extremely strong and I agree that he is not the athlete he once was but his basketball IQ is much higher now. He has supreme confidence appearing fearless and that seems to inspire his new teammates. Griffin went up against a good defender last night and his outside shot was not going in so he had a tougher time being successful in the paint. Hopefully this coaching staff can get smarter and figure out what kind of offense will work best. But there is another issue to deal with coming soon. What is going to happen when Reggie returns? Will it be like last season or can Reggie offer more than total dysfunction? How quick will SVG react if things go south? Right now the team chemistry is fantastic. Players are making a lot of mistakes but they are all getting along well and pulling for each other. Griffin's pass to Smith in that big moment of the game when Smith drained the 3 point shot, showed that Blake trusted Smith in that deciding moment. That play to me was bigger than Smith making the shot that locked up the game. Griffin did the hard work to set that shot up for Smith and trusted him. Every player went crazy. How long has it been since we have seen Piston players get that excited? I wonder what is going on in Reggie Jackson's brain now. He will come in soon to put his stamp on the team. Will the team chemistry get stronger or weaker. I honestly have no idea but wouldn't want to be in Reggie's shoes right now of course unless I could feel what it is like cashing those big checks he is getting. Galloway and Buycks are playing well right now at least. Smith has been on a great streak as a starter. If nothing else, this is going to get real exciting if this team shows the ability to get better and can get lucky.  Two things here. First, I agree, we should give SVG some time, but I don't have much faith he will get it right, I do have faith that Blake and Drummond will get it right. I get the feeling that since Blake came here, the players really believe they can make a solid run if they get it right. This is a chance they didn't think they would get and they don't want to waste it. Players may well lead this charge!

Second, I totally agree! That pass from your star is very important, and players see that as a trust thing and they are inspired to deliver. LeBron does this a lot to raise the level of role players. It didn't matter if he made the shot, the message has been sent, the star is like a black hole, sucking the defense all towards him and your role is clear and simple be READY! I loved that as you did on many levels. Of course it helped that Ish was hot a s hell Smile 
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wise

Post  Oracle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm

WTF wrote:KCP was misused from the time he got here and struggle to fit because of dumb coaching,  SVG didn't make it any better in how he used him either and it continues with how he uses SJ.   Like KCP SJ is not a shooter he's a scorer and he'll struggle to find his niche as well eventually he'll lose all confidence if SVG continue to try to use him as a shooter.  You have been consistent on this, and 100% right. I hope SVG may be learning with Stanley!

I rage about all those 3's and I do blame it on SVG but players need to be smart on when to listen or not listen and that's what irks me about them and all those miss 3's.  It's like common sense just gets tossed aside and they continue to go to shooting 0 for 7, 8, and 9 without ever thinking geesh maybe I need to shorten my shot or just attack the basket. 100% agree, it's SVG that forces this issue with his Orlando flashbacks clouding his mind!

SVG say's he ask Blake how should he best use him in the offense, maybe SVG needs to ask this question to all the players and start coaching to their talents and abilities as players.  I see all kinds of great possibilities with Blake and AD but I don't think SVG sees them and he's going to screw the opportunity up sooner or later.  Pistons should have a nice streak of wins this month but don't get overly excited because it get ugly in come March. How hard is that to do? Forget wondering about if it will work, if you don't ask the damn question, you'll never get there!

Okay so the Lions new coach just gave up 41 points in the Super Bowl should we be worried?  I thought the score would be lower and I certainly though Brady would get the win but congrats Philly.  That fumble was caused by a Michigan Man on a Michigan Man so I wasn't to upset my horse in this race didn't win. Wow, I never expected to see the Defenseless Super Bowl. That strip of Brady was HUGE because neither team had much luck stooping the other!

Too funny Patricia might be a better coach than SVG  lol  I mean it wouldn't hurt considering most of us could probably coach the Pistons better than SVG.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NFL and NBA Stuff

Post  WTF on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:25 am

KCP was misused from the time he got here and struggle to fit because of dumb coaching,  SVG didn't make it any better in how he used him either and it continues with how he uses SJ.   Like KCP SJ is not a shooter he's a scorer and he'll struggle to find his niche as well eventually he'll lose all confidence if SVG continue to try to use him as a shooter.  

I rage about all those 3's and I do blame it on SVG but players need to be smart on when to listen or not listen and that's what irks me about them and all those miss 3's.  It's like common sense just gets tossed aside and they continue to go to shooting 0 for 7, 8, and 9 without ever thinking geesh maybe I need to shorten my shot or just attack the basket.

SVG say's he ask Blake how should he best use him in the offense, maybe SVG needs to ask this question to all the players and start coaching to their talents and abilities as players.  I see all kinds of great possibilities with Blake and AD but I don't think SVG sees them and he's going to screw the opportunity up sooner or later.  Pistons should have a nice streak of wins this month but don't get overly excited because it get ugly in come March. 

Okay so the Lions new coach just gave up 41 points in the Super Bowl should we be worried?  I thought the score would be lower and I certainly though Brady would get the win but congrats Philly.  That fumble was caused by a Michigan Man on a Michigan Man so I wasn't to upset my horse in this race didn't win.

Too funny Patricia might be a better coach than SVG  lol  I mean it wouldn't hurt considering most of us could probably coach the Pistons better than SVG.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Oracle wrote:
Sparma wrote:It looks to me that Blake trying to adjust his game a bit, having peaked athletically, and who can blame him.  He could still help a ton.
You see what's happening, but your conclusion is off, IMO. Not sure why you feel the need to do that this early, but here's what I know happened, and it's a big part coaching.

1. SVG is an IDIOT! All of a sudden he has Blake, and please stop calling him a superstar, he's just a star, so what doe SVG do? He moves away from his successful motion offense and decides to go back to ISO ball, that's causing what you see.
2. Doing all of that ISO crap forces everything on Blake and the defenses know it, so you get a player that is dog tired trying to carry the whole damn team. If you watched the game, you saw Blake come out and he looked wasted!
3. The refs were letting them play physical, and in those games you do expend a lot more energy to tough it out. Miami was tough because after losing, they really needed that game.
4. He likely has peaked in his game and not as athletic as he was when he came into the league, but he's twice the player he was when he had those things, so I don't get your point.
Don wrote:It all started before Blake arrive in my opinion.
Don, that's correct, but it barely started, the inclusion of Blake will help make the transition work better. I really like your observation here, as I do see them getting to the point of developing an identity.

I've always believed that your identity develops before you get to name if, in others words, I feel your identity is who you are, not something you make up.
Lemon wrote:Sparma, that observation deserves recognition.  I think it reveals a looming issue that Wise and Ballin have leaned on regularly.  This team is going to have to play above its coaching.

Guys have ragged on Stanley J over his 3 pt shooting but a large percentage of his attempts have been a result of the play run.  I wonder if Ish was standing outside of the arc for the same reason.  In back to back games our worst two 3pt shooters are in position to get lucky.  Each time, with Bullock on the floor.   We agree that these guys should not be outside of the arc as finishers but if that is how plays are constructed ............they must take the shot.
Sparma's observation does deserve recognition because it took courage to make the statement when a lot of people would have just let it pass.

I made the point that it was the result of designed plays during the hate KCP campaign that went on, but most here weren't receptive... go figure. It's hard, but you're right Lemon, these players may have to fight their coaching to be successful. I've always found that it's easier to see forgiveness than ask for permission in all walks of life. If you know the right thing to do, do it, IMO!

Oracle I often have wondered what kind of player KCP would have been if the Pistons had run a motion offense in his first season with the Pistons. Young players understandably will have great difficulty on offense if the team doesn't run some type of organized offense with player movement like the Motion offense. Pope was told from day one to stand either on the wing or baseline corner. It took years for the coach to integrate him into his offense. Every young player has struggled under SVG's system on offense. Who can get a feel for the game when you seldom if ever touch the basketball. Dumars brought in Brandon Jennings and then SVG decided Reggie Jackson would provide more individual scoring and excitement with the pick and roll play to Drummond. He wasn't thinking about how Pope would adapt and develop. Maybe a guy like Morris could stand in place and still be an effective shooter because he was older with more experience. I keep thinking about who really excelled among the skill players and actually thrived in SVG's system. I don't think he has a system unless one considers simpleton play ground basketball a system. In Pope's last season, I only say one designed play for Pope where the point guard passed the basketball and set a screen for Pope on the baseline or wing and he would get that 10 foot jump shot which showed his potential as a mid range shooter.

It appears to me that SVG and his staff should get the designation that they were extremely lazy coaches who never adjusted their offense to fit their roster. In many cases the younger players were better players before they arrived then they were when they left relating to playing offense. In every case the confidence factor with the young players was low.

As for what is currently going on maybe we should give SVG a pass for awhile until the team can at least practice one time. SVG threw Blake out on the court without a practice. It was a bit refreshing for me to at least see him dribble the ball up the court and create offense instead of the point guard. What if this team scrapped using a point guard at times and allowed Blake to be the point forward and then put out strong defenders in every position? I keep trying to remember how the Pistons functioned when Grant Hill ran the offense. I am trying to visualize Blake being a part of the Piston motion offense. He sure could set some great screens. He knows the angles. Blake moves well and is extremely strong and I agree that he is not the athlete he once was but his basketball IQ is much higher now. He has supreme confidence appearing fearless and that seems to inspire his new teammates. Griffin went up against a good defender last night and his outside shot was not going in so he had a tougher time being successful in the paint. Hopefully this coaching staff can get smarter and figure out what kind of offense will work best. But there is another issue to deal with coming soon. What is going to happen when Reggie returns? Will it be like last season or can Reggie offer more than total dysfunction? How quick will SVG react if things go south? Right now the team chemistry is fantastic. Players are making a lot of mistakes but they are all getting along well and pulling for each other. Griffin's pass to Smith in that big moment of the game when Smith drained the 3 point shot, showed that Blake trusted Smith in that deciding moment. That play to me was bigger than Smith making the shot that locked up the game. Griffin did the hard work to set that shot up for Smith and trusted him. Every player went crazy. How long has it been since we have seen Piston players get that excited? I wonder what is going on in Reggie Jackson's brain now. He will come in soon to put his stamp on the team. Will the team chemistry get stronger or weaker. I honestly have no idea but wouldn't want to be in Reggie's shoes right now of course unless I could feel what it is like cashing those big checks he is getting. Galloway and Buycks are playing well right now at least. Smith has been on a great streak as a starter. If nothing else, this is going to get real exciting if this team shows the ability to get better and can get lucky.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stuff...

Post  Oracle on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Sparma wrote:It looks to me that Blake trying to adjust his game a bit, having peaked athletically, and who can blame him.  He could still help a ton.
You see what's happening, but your conclusion is off, IMO. Not sure why you feel the need to do that this early, but here's what I know happened, and it's a big part coaching.

1. SVG is an IDIOT! All of a sudden he has Blake, and please stop calling him a superstar, he's just a star, so what doe SVG do? He moves away from his successful motion offense and decides to go back to ISO ball, that's causing what you see.
2. Doing all of that ISO crap forces everything on Blake and the defenses know it, so you get a player that is dog tired trying to carry the whole damn team. If you watched the game, you saw Blake come out and he looked wasted!
3. The refs were letting them play physical, and in those games you do expend a lot more energy to tough it out. Miami was tough because after losing, they really needed that game.
4. He likely has peaked in his game and not as athletic as he was when he came into the league, but he's twice the player he was when he had those things, so I don't get your point.
Don wrote:It all started before Blake arrive in my opinion.
Don, that's correct, but it barely started, the inclusion of Blake will help make the transition work better. I really like your observation here, as I do see them getting to the point of developing an identity.

I've always believed that your identity develops before you get to name if, in others words, I feel your identity is who you are, not something you make up.
Lemon wrote:Sparma, that observation deserves recognition.  I think it reveals a looming issue that Wise and Ballin have leaned on regularly.  This team is going to have to play above its coaching.

Guys have ragged on Stanley J over his 3 pt shooting but a large percentage of his attempts have been a result of the play run.  I wonder if Ish was standing outside of the arc for the same reason.  In back to back games our worst two 3pt shooters are in position to get lucky.  Each time, with Bullock on the floor.   We agree that these guys should not be outside of the arc as finishers but if that is how plays are constructed ............they must take the shot.
Sparma's observation does deserve recognition because it took courage to make the statement when a lot of people would have just let it pass.

I made the point that it was the result of designed plays during the hate KCP campaign that went on, but most here weren't receptive... go figure. It's hard, but you're right Lemon, these players may have to fight their coaching to be successful. I've always found that it's easier to see forgiveness than ask for permission in all walks of life. If you know the right thing to do, do it, IMO!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lions

Post  lemonpen on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:04 pm

WTF wrote:Picking New England to win 24-17 would like to see Brady win #6 and retire.       Maybe one day before I die I'll get to see the Lions in a Super Bowl win or lose that would be sweet.

I just hope the score catches one of my squares. $$$$$$$$$ tb
Maybe one day before my children die the Leo's will compete in a Super Bowl.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SVG pt2

Post  lemonpen on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Another observation. Miami was 5 for 7 scoring out of their time outs. I wonder what we discussed on the play that Olynek completed the highlight dunk.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Putting Players In Position to Succeed. Or Not.

Post  lemonpen on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Sparma wrote:Good game by SJ.  Bad shooting, but I can live with it, because he limited the 3s to two.  If I were coaching, I'd encourage him to take a 3 if open, and another if he hits it.  If he misses the first, give it up.

Solid game by Blake, but not the stuff of superstars.  He wasn't getting superstar calls.  Even if you're the one doing lots of hitting (a la Shaq), you're also the one taking lots of hits (a la Shaq).  It looks to me that Blake trying to adjust his game a bit, having peaked athletically, and who can blame him.  He could still help a ton.

Outstanding game by Andre.  The early returns suggest that he'll be able to flourish even with Blake as teammate.

Fantastic game by Ish, including the decisive 3 off of Blake's pass.  This might be the kind of thing a fan isn't supposed to say: he shouldn't have been taking that shot, a low percentage shot for him, and maybe shouldn't even have been in the game then.  The shot went in, so who can complain?  I can, but maybe shouldn't.

And here's the trade that would put us in serious contention to be East champs: Reggie J and SVG for Dragic and Eric Spoelstra.  They play such scrappy, opportunistic, smart basketball.  And they consistently killed us out of timeouts.  Except at the end, thank goodness.

Sparma, that observation deserves recognition.  I think it reveals a looming issue that Wise and Ballin have leaned on regularly.  This team is going to have to play above its coaching.

Guys have ragged on Stanley J over his 3 pt shooting but a large percentage of his attempts have been a result of the play run.  I wonder if Ish was standing outside of the arc for the same reason.  In back to back games our worst two 3pt shooters are in position to get lucky.  Each time, with Bullock on the floor.   We agree that these guys should not be outside of the arc as finishers but if that is how plays are constructed ............they must take the shot.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Murph wrote:You know what SJ needs to do?  Forget 3 point shooting and concentrate on getting to the line.

George Blaha and Greg Kelser told an interesting story last night.  They said the press asked Chuck Daily how the Pistons defense would be right after they acquired Adrian Dantley.  Daily answered that he thought their defense would improve, because Dantley drew so many fouls and got to the line so often that it allowed the Pistons defense to get set like 6 more times throughout a game.

Stanley Johnson should adopt the same formula.  He should bag 3 point shooting, which leads to transition baskets on the other end of the court.  And he should concentrate on bullying his way to the basket and drawing fouls like Adrian Dantley and Blake Griffin.  In this way, SJ will improve the Pistons defense even more.

And in fact, Johnson did just that last night.  He only took two 3 point shots, but he went 5-5 from the line.  tb

Murph SVG bought up what Daily said about Dantley in his press conference. What I see Johnson doing in the future will be that he will work hard with mid range jump shooting. If he can have success driving and scoring or passing while penetrating, things will open up for him in areas 10 feet from the basket or closer. It appears the sky is the limit relating to how good Blake-Andre-Stanley can be on both ends of the floor in the future. They need practice time and game experience to built this thing into an unstoppable force. And details on how Reggie can fit into this new phenomenon of the Piston Big Three Pounders will be interesting. Smith flies around in between the cracks. He would not upset the potential of our power players.

Now what about Reggie Jackson? If he stays, will he be willing to play more off the ball? That is not Reggie's style but his ability to shoot the rock from distance could work well if Griffin and Johnson are the creators for the half court offense. But will or can Reggie move without the ball and find open spots? Can he keep good concentration and be in the game without handling the ball as much? Reggie could have more energy to contribute better on the defensive end if Griffin and Johnson are doing the hard work of breaking down the defense. If Reggie is not traded before the deadline and is healthy enough to play, this coaching staff has a lot of hard work to do to figure out how Reggie can fit in and the team does not regress into a jump shooting flat looking team again. Good luck Piston coaching staff. You are going to need it.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

News flash! The Detroit Pistons have found an identity. They are no longer just a soft jumps shooting basketball team

Post  cool breeze on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:57 pm

It all started before Blake arrive in my opinion. It started in the last Cleveland game. This is when Piston players did not settle for contested jump shots. The team played extremely soft and even when they did run the motion offense it was done in a half hearted way. Then players started bullying their way to the basket. Before Piston players seldom went to the foul line. One game before Blake where players took it to Cleveland in the paint and finished or rebounded missed shots never giving up and then Blake played his first Piston game. Everything is different now. The Pistons are not the same old easy out. If teams beat the Pistons they will have bruises. Basketball is a game of will power at the NBA level. Even though Blake was unsuccessful finishing after forcing his way deep into the paint, he sent a message that all of his teammates admire. No guts - no glory. This team has two powerful drivers in Griffin and Johnson. If they get called for an offensive foul someone on the opposing team is going to feel pain. Opposing teams can no longer rest on defense while Piston point guards dribble around while other players stand. Blake Griffin showed some guts when he shot that big 3 point shot after having no success earlier. That was so sweet when the ball went in the hole. WOW!

The Piston defense was pretty soft and out of sync until the late moments of the game. At the end the team looked really smart on defense which was led by Stanley Johnson. I loved the way he broke up the high screen play in one of Miami's last possessions. Miami played one of their best games and they lost to the Pistons. They sure have some tough minded high basketball IQ athletes on that Heat squad.

The Pistons are no longer a pure jump shooting team afraid to mix it up in the paint. Should I repeat that? If this team doesn't make the playoffs, I will be upset but content knowing that next season after more time playing together, the Pistons should be one of the top teams if they come back playing like hard nosed bastards who kick ass and take names every night.

Galloway should get some attention for his play after sitting on the bench waiting his turn. He delivered last night making some big shots.

Ish Smith has earned the starting job at point. Miami's game plan was to pick on him when he was on defense and they scored on him a lot. But Smith ran the team extremely well all night long. He picked his spots and did not force things. And his 3 pointer from the baseline corner off Griffin's penetration and dish was the winning play of the game. Smith is the fastest man in the NBA and is now playing more under control without giving up his speed. His turnovers are down. His play making is much better.

Great job by SVG in finding a way to get Ellenson into the rotation. Henry had another rough outing but there is no doubt that this guy is going to be a really good player at least in my opinion. He is so big yet quick and always running. His timing is off for sure only because of lack of playing time and confidence. It would have been much better if Ellenson had been playing in the G-League up until this point in the season. He can function as the back up center. He will start blocking shots and rebounding better. And for sure his shot is going to start falling. He might be trying to play a bit too fast. Slow it down and relax Henry.

AD was a real monster in the 2nd half. He looks like he is really having fun now. Griffin's presence is uplifting for AD. After a few practices and games, I suspect the interior defense will get a lot better for the Pistons. Right now a lot of mistakes are being made on defense especially in the first half against Miami. Griffin is going to help AD in a big way and turn AD into a beast.

My feeling during this game was that Miami was playing as well as they can play and our Pistons were hanging tough playing at about 65% of their ability. Cleaning up and eliminating silly unforced errors and rotating better as a team on defense should improve the odds that the Pistons can win games without having to go down to the wire. This Piston team can shoot the rock much better as well. I almost wish AD was not going to participate in the All Star game. He needs to keep his focus and not become distracted with all the nonsense relating to All Star weekend. Great win against Miami!

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Miami

Post  Sparma on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Good game by SJ.  Bad shooting, but I can live with it, because he limited the 3s to two.  If I were coaching, I'd encourage him to take a 3 if open, and another if he hits it.  If he misses the first, give it up.

Solid game by Blake, but not the stuff of superstars.  He wasn't getting superstar calls.  Even if you're the one doing lots of hitting (a la Shaq), you're also the one taking lots of hits (a la Shaq).  It looks to me that Blake trying to adjust his game a bit, having peaked athletically, and who can blame him.  He could still help a ton.

Outstanding game by Andre.  The early returns suggest that he'll be able to flourish even with Blake as teammate.

Fantastic game by Ish, including the decisive 3 off of Blake's pass.  This might be the kind of thing a fan isn't supposed to say: he shouldn't have been taking that shot, a low percentage shot for him, and maybe shouldn't even have been in the game then.  The shot went in, so who can complain?  I can, but maybe shouldn't.

And here's the trade that would put us in serious contention to be East champs: Reggie J and SVG for Dragic and Eric Spoelstra. They play such scrappy, opportunistic, smart basketball. And they consistently killed us out of timeouts. Except at the end, thank goodness.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Murph and Wise

Post  Oracle on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Murph wrote:You know what SJ needs to do?  Forget 3 point shooting and concentrate on getting to the line.

George Blaha and Greg Kelser told an interesting story last night.  They said the press asked Chuck Daily how the Pistons defense would be right after they acquired Adrian Dantley.  Daily answered that he thought their defense would improve, because Dantley drew so many fouls and got to the line so often that it allowed the Pistons defense to get set like 6 more times throughout a game.

Stanley Johnson should adopt the same formula.  He should bag 3 point shooting, which leads to transition baskets on the other end of the court.  And he should concentrate on bullying his way to the basket and drawing fouls like Adrian Dantley and Blake Griffin.  In this way, SJ will improve the Pistons defense even more.

And in fact, Johnson did just that last night.  He only took two 3 point shots, but he went 5-5 from the line.  tb
Exactly, and when he's done that, the results have been great!

@Wise - Brady becomes the first QB to ever start a Super Bowl at the age of 40! If he can get this one, and I'm also predicting that they win a close one, he should retire as the greatest EVER!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum