FORUM

Page 4 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heat

Post  Sparma on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:02 am

Weird game. The Pistons looked awful on D for quite a while, with Miami torching them with one wide open 3 after another, and along with easy penetration. And then it stopped, and we went from being down 11 to winning comfortably.

You've got to give a shooter like Kennard minutes. Nice comeback by him, as Don notes, after he got burned turning the ball over after trying fancy dribbling.

At 10-3 they actually have a chance to get to my predicted 54 wins. Part of the reason I predicted that, along with not wanting to be tied, is that I experienced ambivalence last year as the lowest predictor, both wanting them to win and for me to be right. With an absurdly high prediction, there's no ambivalence this year, but all out hoping they'll play great. I agree with the commentator that Drummond's heading to the All Star and that there's a good chance Tobias will be joining him.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

One More Option at SF

Post  Murph on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:37 am

deusXango wrote:Why not give Luke Kennard those 12 minutes at backup SF? He doesn't have the natural physical attributes of Stanley Johnson, but his court savvy and shifty play with the ball would more than compensate for what we'd loose on the defensive end (I know some will beat the SVG drum about defense as a legit reason for not playing a rookie) and his team first attitude is what seems to be making this team tick. You're right Murph, Bullock has been sucking to high heaven!

DX...I have to hand it to you. Last week you suggested Kennard play SF off the bench, and last night SVG did just that. SVG went with several small ball lineups, featuring Kennard at SF. The smallest of them was Ish, Galloway, Kennard, Harris and Toliver. That's probably the smallest, fastest lineup used in the NBA today.

And Kennard responded well. He was a team high +21 on he night, and as Don pointed out, played great defense. Good call. tb

I would have liked to see Drummond play better against Whiteside. Whiteside wore him down.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kennard, Bradley, Tolliver, and Smith shine in this win

Post  cool breeze on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Watching Smith go to the bench in the 4th holding his back after that hard fall with the sweat running down his face was a beautiful thing to see. What a supreme effort Smith made tonight to get his team back on track. Cool Hand Luke did not impress as much on offense as he did on defense. He was working his feet, digging deep in crunch time in the paint on defense. He sure did not look like a rookie. What was really cool was how he reacted after getting the ball stolen and giving up a layup from that steal. Instead of folding and losing confidence, that is when Kennard started his run of beautiful basketball. Now the only question that I have is how will SVG keep him out of the starting lineup. Hopefully if the matchup is right, Luke could take Bullock's spot at small forward. I really like it when Kennard plays with Bradley. Both are high IQ players. And isn't it about time for Reggie to share the ball in crunch time. Tonight was not Reggie's night. He made key mistakes in both halves of that game but insisted on going solo to do what Reggie does. Reggie cannot be that guy every night especially on the 2nd of a back to back. Come on Reggie move over to the wing or baseline and let Bradley direct this team just to change things up in crunch time. Tolliver played hard especially on defense in the 2nd half.

WOW I was really impressed with those 4 players. And even though Galloway's shots were not falling as often tonight, I still love how he plays basketball. Kennard, Bradley, Tolliver, Smith and Galloway are the players that i pull for the most this season. Of course there is no doubt in my mind as to how valuable Stanley Johnson is to this team. My hope is that SVG will not forget Ellenson. He needs playing time on a regular basic. If it means sending him to GR or getting him a few minutes in the first half of games, SVG has to keep Henry's confidence moving in the right direction. But Kennard is a seasoned basketball player who can hold his own in many areas already. This win against Miami was so sweet. Great job Pistons!

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

All Smiles

Post  WTF on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Good Happy Victorious Weekend thanks to the My Lions, Wolverines and Pistons. Go All Three Blues!!!!!!!
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Contender ?

Post  lemonpen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Contender for what, exactly.
Playoffs? Yeah, given good health.
Home court advantage? Weak maybe.
Conference finals? No chance.
Finals? HaHaHaHaHa

We have sooooooo far to go before understanding if even 80% of what we've seen can be maintained.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Oracle wrote:@Murph - I too wanted Ibaka because that would spell, as Wise said, next level, but it wasn't to be. However, just like getting Sheed, we do need that defensive PF to complete this team. We have the assets in Leuer and possibly Boban to trade for that person if he was available.

@Don - Let me see if I understand this, Dre makes more improvements than you've see a Piston make since you've been a fan year over year, and it's not good enough for you because he didn't get one more thing?

I guess he's also responsible for not getting a defensive PF that SVG will play, maybe he should study being the GM too.

You can't even give him the rest of the season to do more and you simply can't give him all the credit he's due for what he's done, but you willingly and lovingly gave Stanley credit for stuff he never did.

Amazing how you can watch games and whine about Drummond, see every flaw, real or imaginary, but see nothing but fantastic things from the players you like.

Stop being a professional biased whiner!

Oracle AD is the key to the Pistons becoming a contending playoff team. There is too much fluff talk in the press about how great Andre is but the real truth is that the Pistons almost lost to a rebuilding team that ruled the paint when they played offense against the Pistons. There is no secondary defense when guards and small forwards have to extend to prevent open 3 point attempts. AD is AWOL when opposing perimeter players do the natural thing all good players do when they are played tight. They drive to the hoop. If you have nobody to do more than reach one arm out as those drivers pass by, then that encourages more dribble drives in the paint for easy layups. Did you watch that game? If you did are you saying that I am wrong that AD actually did move his feet and get in front of drivers or at least contest shots around the rim? He didn't do squat on defense. AD loves offense and he is willing to see his team lose as long as he has a nice offensive game. His stats mean nothing to me. ZERO because he will not provide the effort it takes for this team to be among the best. There are no other big men on this team that could do what AD can do if he wanted to do it. AD is fools gold. Maybe in 3 years he will get tired of losing because if the pistons play like they did last night, there are going to go on a long losing streak. SVG knows it. Anyone who really watches objectively knows it.

This has nothing to do with Stanley Johnson. What a cop out Oracle. Johnson is injured and is not playing. They missed his interior defense last night if you didn't notice. But Johnson is not a center or power forward. We need a rim protector. Unless we get one, the Pistons are screwed.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don & Murph

Post  Oracle on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:57 pm

@Murph - I too wanted Ibaka because that would spell, as Wise said, next level, but it wasn't to be. However, just like getting Sheed, we do need that defensive PF to complete this team. We have the assets in Leuer and possibly Boban to trade for that person if he was available.

@Don - Let me see if I understand this, Dre makes more improvements than you've see a Piston make since you've been a fan year over year, and it's not good enough for you because he didn't get one more thing?

I guess he's also responsible for not getting a defensive PF that SVG will play, maybe he should study being the GM too.

You can't even give him the rest of the season to do more and you simply can't give him all the credit he's due for what he's done, but you willingly and lovingly gave Stanley credit for stuff he never did.

Amazing how you can watch games and whine about Drummond, see every flaw, real or imaginary, but see nothing but fantastic things from the players you like.

Stop being a professional biased whiner!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whiteside

Post  Murph on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 am

Don, you make a very good point about the Pistons needing a defensive minded, rim protecting PF. That's why I was lobbying for SVG to go after Serge Ibaka in the off season. Unfortunately, SVG had already blown all his cap money on non-performing assets such as Leuer. Boban and Josh Smith. So we're just going to have to make due with who we have.

The Whiteside match-up will be interesting for Drummond tonight. Whiteside is a very similar player...huge, physically imposing, rebounding machine. This is exactly the kind of center that Drummond needs to out-play, if the Pistons are really going to be contenders.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

An extremely weak team took advantage of extremely weak Piston interior defense. I am not celebrating.

Post  cool breeze on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:47 am

I see that anyone is happy. That is nice. But the Pistons were lucky to get that win by Reggie hitting some fantastic long range bombs. Sweet that those shots went in but do any of you recall how this weak opponent managed to make that comeback? In the first half the Pistons interior defense was non existent. Once the perimeter line of defense broke down there was no player all night long who could or would protect the rim. That was why SVG was going crazy on the sidelines. He knows the truth about this game. He knows that at half time this Piston opponent had a really good coach who told his players hey they have nobody who cares about playing any defense in the paint. They don't even get their arms up. That score after score in the second half came on layups inside of 2 feet. If a shot was missed, that was no problem because there was no resistance or interest in securing a defensive rebound. No team can consistently win without some type of interior defense and at least one shot blocker. We do not have any when AD is in the game.

I read where Oracle said maybe even Don would give Andre some slack now. Did anyone actually watch this horribly played basketball game? AD was outstanding on the offensive end getting very difficult offensive rebounds. He even made clutch foul shots. But he played horribly on defense all night long.

This is what I came away with from this game. Unless the Pistons make a trade and secure a non shooting power forward who is a monster defender and rim protector this team is not going to have a successful season. I say that on the premise that AD is not traded and continues to play basketball like he has played it since he arrived from the draft. AD is not interested in providing his team with a solid effort on defense. He is not engaged or invested in learning what it takes to become an effective defender. But he loves offense especially his role now at the high post distributing the basketball and going hard to the glass on Piston missed shots. If only he cared as much when playing defense this team could be special. But that is not going to happen. Therefore in the long run it will not work to play Harris at power forward because he is not a gifted defender either. Somebody has to pick up drivers and not just stand and watch opponents go by and shot a layup possession after possession. Now the cat is out of the bag as it was last season. AD blocked one shot all night long. He didn't even try to get his arms up on defense 80% of the time on defense. He didn't bother to jump 70% of the time to even try to grab defensive rebounds. He was standing and opponent players were moving inside of him boxing him out for those rebounds because AD was not engaged meaning he was not even moving his feet at all most of the time. And did anyone watch him run back on defense? He didn't run back. He jogged back and was the last Piston defender back on defense more than 90% of the time last night. So go ahead and look at those amazing stats and that effort he gave on offense but this team is not going anywhere because opponents are not going to give up on getting into the paint and they are not going to give up on securing offensive rebounds against this feeble defense.

If some of you actually watched this game closely then I doubt that you could be optimistic about what the wins and loses will look like in April for our Pistons if this shoddy interior defensive effort remains the same. Opponents have not played well against the Pistons because they are really bad teams not because our team has played outstanding basketball. This team is executing well enough in crunch time to beat these sorry teams and they have caught a few on the 2nd or back to back games while the Pistons were well rested. The weaknesses that I see in this Piston team tell me that success cannot last unless the Pistons obtain at least one big man who can play defense the right way. AD plays defense the wrong way and that will prevent him from ever being a winning type of player. It is a matter or caring or having some basic interest in taking pride in being an alert defender. AD cannot give or is not interested in giving the thing his team needs the most. If opponents can like this last one can get to the rim at will with no resistance, then when all is said and done at the end of the season, things will not be much different from last year as far as the Pistons are concerned. I don't expect Leuer to be the savior either when he returns from his injury. Moreland and even Boban play more effective interior defense than Leuer. But I am sure SVG will pencil in Leuer as soon has he recovers.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mr. Big Shot

Post  BallinD on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Does the Big Fella Want it?  Is the synergy with Weggie a good thing?

Chauncey: “I played with him in my last year,” he said. “No, wait, you can’t call what I did playing. (But) I’ve always thought there is greatness in him. I think he can be one of those generational players.”

Well, hell!  Let's go get some mo wins! Another ship?
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

All signs point to... Amazing!!!

Post  Oracle on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:37 am

Bradley: Well I wondered if both his defense and offense would travel... well the early results are fantastic and I couldn't be happier.

Reggie: Not quite superman yet, but dropping those two 3 pointers to seal the win was nice stuff.

Ish: Can he keep scoring? Nice game with an unexpected 17 points.

But the big news is Andre Drummond! Even Don needs to ease up on him now, this dude has transformed more of his game year over year than I've seen from anyone. Last night, he displayed the full menu of his achievements!
Game recap wrote:Drummond surpassed his previous career high of five assists by halftime, and he calmly made two free throws with 1:28 remaining to put the Pistons up 100-98. Drummond's foul shooting has improved noticeably this season, and he was 4 for 6 against the Hawks.

CONSISTENT

Drummond has had at least 12 rebounds in each of his first 12 games this season, matching Kevin Love's streak to start the 2011-12 season. The last player with a longer streak to start a season was Moses Malone with 16 games in 1978-79.
I'm so proud of him and so happy he didn't get traded, big guys take longer to "Get It", but if they do, look out!

Go Pistons!!!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another Good Win

Post  WTF on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 pm

Just Keep It Up!!!! Beat the teams you're suppose to and defend you're home court and you'll be fine.  Still Hating Those Damn 3's
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Just Thinking

Post  WTF on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Yay! College Basketball is here and of course GO BLUE!  Man it's tough being on the West Coast, Oh I do enjoy the Arizona weather but man do I miss being close to my teams.  Hate that I'll miss the Thanksgiving Day Lions Victory bummer, hate not having the Big Ten Network,  Good thing is I did discover I can buy individual Lions games and I do catch Michigan on TV quite a bit as far as football goes I don't think I'll be as lucky with basketball.

My Lions face a winless team in the Browns and I hate these games because what should be an easy win for them bad luck will rear it's ugly head. I hope it doesn't be nice if they can win 4 in row I still think they're capable of 11 wins this season.

Right how can I be so optimistic when it comes to my Lions and such a pessimist when it comes to the Pistons?  Notice the "my" and "the" before each teams name.  Sorry folks I'm a Lions Die Hard  tb

SVG seems to be worried about head swelling from all the press clippings the players are reading.  Hope the players are listening to him "Don't Believe The Hype"  Chauncey made a good point I think the team needs to take note of and that winning doesn't become easier it's harder and he pointed to the loss to the Lakers as an example.  It was a game we should have won easily but ended up losing by 20 and he noted that teams take notice when you come has success like they did against the Clips and Warriors because it creates a bulls-eye on you so teams want to beat you.  In others words you can't take days off period every game should mean something.   My concern can this team stay motivated.

I think this to is a reason I stuck with 39 wins, if adversity becomes the learned motivating tool for this team then we'll have problems.  This team is playing good perhaps but they still don't have an identity who the hell are they.   Wouldn't it be great if they just start picking fights, and talking ****.  They have no bravado, there's no rallying cry.  Every championship team has that edge, every wannbe champions team has that edge.  

What I'm saying is I can't identify with this team.  Don't dismiss what I'm saying because both our prior championship teams had all this and then some we need AD to start blocking shot and waving his finger ala Mutumbo.  We need Harris to start guaranteeing wins ala Sheed,  we need to see a few ejections and a few techs.  Something needs to happen
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Murph & Wise

Post  Oracle on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 pm

I think you're both right!

I'm loving where we are because a prerequisite for being good is actually doing good and building the confidence that winning brings.

Are we good because others are bad, or are we just good? Right now it's certainly a combination of the two and we're expected to benefit from a weak east.

However, we're going to hit a bad patch, every team does and that will be the test of this team. Everything is good when you're winning, but a couple of ass kickings in a row can drain the kool aid dry.

We're due to come down to earth, but I expect that we'll still do well in the east.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

@Murph

Post  WTF on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Murph wrote:
WTF wrote:
Murph wrote:I swear, some of the members of this forum are stuck in a negative loop.  They've been watching bad basketball for so many years, they don't know good basketball when they see it.  From the comments on this forum, you'd think the team was 3-8, not 8-3.

LMAO Murph  lol

No Murph it's just that some of us still remember what winning basketball use to look like around here so we're not all quick to jump aboard just because the team is 8-3 right now.  BTW I think I'm the only one that has a prediction of them finishing this season below .500. 

I'm sorry but this team don't get to stink for all those years and all doubts get erased because of a 8-3 start.   Plus its hard to say that we've really gotten better or  perhaps other teams are playing worse.   If we look at the current situation and drag it to the end of the season then teams like Cleveland, OKC, Milwaukee, LAC and Utah wouldn't make the playoffs and I don't think any of us really believe that would or could happen.

Could it be that we've been losing for so long that some have forgotten what a winning team really look like because they're just happy being 8-3 right now and it's okay to be happy. Hell I'm happy but I'm damn sure not sold after 11 games in.  

I really don't see much difference from last season to this one even though a few things have changed. 1. Drummond FT improved will it last I don't know 2. Reggie seems under control will it last? I don't know. 3. SVG offense has changed some will it last? I don't know

Ok...but can you at least wait for a loss, before y'all start ripping into Drummond and Jackson???

BTW, the earliest loss isn't likely to happen until next Wednesday, when the 'Stones play the Bucks on the road.  Then Don is free to tell up how poorly Drummond defended Henson and Maker, and how well SJ defended the Greek Freak.  lol!

I agree Don's overkill is far over reaching quite a bit, but his point is valid that one can still see the flaws and certain bad tendencies that still exist from previous seasons.  

Even though I see improvement in the motion of the offense and I really do applaud Harris now becoming 1st option in the offense I still hate the amount of 3's the team takes during games.   IMO they're still not by design and present itself as a lazy option.

IMO opinion AD still isn't where he needs to be as he took not 1 but 2 steps back the previous season.  He should be heavily criticized for his performance every single game being he's making 125 Million.  It doesn't just stop at Drummond being that Harris is now 1st option he to will be looked at more closely and right now I'm not all that happy when he shoots 3's as frequently as he does.

Of course we're all waiting on Reggie to slip back into his old ways but at the moment he's been steady so far. I would like to see his assist totals reach double digits and stay at double digits.  Do I still think there's a better PG out there and we should trade him? Perhaps but if he can carry this team pass the 2nd round (next level type ****) then I say we keep him. Problem is we won't know he can until he does it, how well we do and how far we go will be on the shoulders of Reggie.

The other concern is the number of TO's coming from both Bradley and Reggie, hopefully the correct that soon.  I think Reggie is still getting use to teammates and Jackson is over thinking in trying to keep himself in check.

Collectively I think the team is a year or 2 behind where they should be and still have a **** load they still need to prove before anyone get to excited we need to be hard on them.  We're talking about 1st rounds and advancing to the 2nd when in reality the discussion should be about getting past the ECF and most certainly or predictions should be if they'll win 60 plus.  I might be wrong but I struggled to predict the 39 wins I did.  The team is learning bout they haven't learned yet.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Murph on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 am

WTF wrote:
Murph wrote:I swear, some of the members of this forum are stuck in a negative loop.  They've been watching bad basketball for so many years, they don't know good basketball when they see it.  From the comments on this forum, you'd think the team was 3-8, not 8-3.

LMAO Murph  lol

No Murph it's just that some of us still remember what winning basketball use to look like around here so we're not all quick to jump aboard just because the team is 8-3 right now.  BTW I think I'm the only one that has a prediction of them finishing this season below .500. 

I'm sorry but this team don't get to stink for all those years and all doubts get erased because of a 8-3 start.   Plus its hard to say that we've really gotten better or  perhaps other teams are playing worse.   If we look at the current situation and drag it to the end of the season then teams like Cleveland, OKC, Milwaukee, LAC and Utah wouldn't make the playoffs and I don't think any of us really believe that would or could happen.

Could it be that we've been losing for so long that some have forgotten what a winning team really look like because they're just happy being 8-3 right now and it's okay to be happy. Hell I'm happy but I'm damn sure not sold after 11 games in.  

I really don't see much difference from last season to this one even though a few things have changed. 1. Drummond FT improved will it last I don't know 2. Reggie seems under control will it last? I don't know. 3. SVG offense has changed some will it last? I don't know

Ok...but can you at least wait for a loss, before y'all start ripping into Drummond and Jackson???

BTW, the earliest loss isn't likely to happen until next Wednesday, when the 'Stones play the Bucks on the road.  Then Don is free to tell up how poorly Drummond defended Henson and Maker, and how well SJ defended the Greek Freak. lol!
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don't Choke Chugging Down The Kool Aid

Post  WTF on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am

LMAO Murph  lol

WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Enjoy It While It Lasts....

Post  Murph on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 am

I swear, some of the members of this forum are stuck in a negative loop. They've been watching bad basketball for so many years, they don't know good basketball when they see it. From the comments on this forum, you'd think the team was 3-8, not 8-3.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Huh?

Post  Murph on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 pm

"There is an article to the right about the importance of keeping AD's head in the game. Maybe I am asking for too much from him but unless he plays as a dominating center on the defensive end I do not believe the Pistons will ever be a superior team. I also am concerned about the way our starters come out of the gate in the first quarter. Maybe my fear that opponents will build up an insurmountable lead like they did last season is getting the best of me. If any coach sees his starters struggling on both ends of the floor in the first 5 minutes of most games as they did last season then most of those coaches will need blood pressure medication."

Don...I have absolutely no idea what your talking about, and neither do you.  The Pistons were LEADING by 4 points at the 5:31 mark of the 1st quarter, when Drummond came out of the game.   Moreland or Boban played the rest of the 1st quarter and the team began to stuggle.  By the time the quarter ended, the Pistons were down by 8. 

This example indicates just how well Drummond was playing at both ends of the court at the beginning of the game last night.

Here's the game flow chart from last night's game:

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20171108&game=INDDET

From the chart, you can see exactly how Drummond positively impacted the game, every time he stepped onto the court. In the 1st quarter Drummond was a +4, he was +9 in Q2, he was +5 in Q3, and +10 in Q4.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Oracle wrote:
Murph wrote:Don...I was actually impressed with the way Andre Drummond thoroughly outplayed Myles Turner on both ends of the court last night.  Turner is another highly touted center that Drummond completely shut down.  Turner had a measly 8 points and 6 rebounds, and was physically dominated by Drummond who had 14 points, 21 rebounds and 4 assists.  And Drummond was a +28 on the night, leading all Pistons.  Really, you can't get much more dominant than that. No sh!t, other than the poor FT shooting, there's not much more you could ask of Dre, I just want that performance against Embiid!

Looking at the Celtics depth chart, they look beatable on paper.  I know Brad Stevens is a genius, and Kyrie Irving is a super star now that he's out from under the shadow of Lebron, but the rest of their rotation is less than impressive.  Totally agree, although at home they're a bit more formidable.

If I were SVG, I'd starting figuring out how to beat the Celtics now.  Weak teams have come out of a weak EC before.  Look at the 76ers in 2000, or the Nets in 2002.  You never know.

@Don: I agree with you, but I expect back sliding games, that's where DEPTH comes into play. When somebody is off, your depth kicks in and somebody else steps up. Having said that, it never hurts to call people out for lack of focus.

There is an article to the right about the importance of keeping AD's head in the game. Maybe I am asking for too much from him but unless he plays as a dominating center on the defensive end I do not believe the Pistons will ever be a superior team. I also am concerned about the way our starters come out of the gate in the first quarter. Maybe my fear that opponents will build up an insurmountable lead like they did last season is getting the best of me. If any coach sees his starters struggling on both ends of the floor in the first 5 minutes of most games as they did last season then most of those coaches will need blood pressure medication. Imagine you as the coach has decided that your best 5 players are on the court to start games and then after the tip off you clearly see some of them having difficulty " getting their head in the game". That can cause some severe panic unless you have ice in your veins. I try to view games as an opposing coach being that I am only watching Piston games as far as the NBA is concerned. Opposing coaches will review game film on the Pistons and say Bradley and Johnson have their hearts in the game on defense. Let's see who should we pick on in this next game against the Pistons? Take a look at Reggie and his approach to playing half hearted defense for at least 65% of the time he is on the floor. He is a guy we can have some success and then if we push the ball we can beat Andre Drummond up the court because he is AWOL for the first 10 seconds of our shot clock. If we have a really talented power forward, then we can get Tobias Harris in foul trouble too. I doubt that a opponents will look at Ish Smith and say he doesn't give heart on defense. Teams can post him up closer to the basket and he can't do much about that but Ish is staying in front of his man really well this season and not giving up easy dribble penetration. On the other hand, Reggie is an easy mark and easy to get to the rim on. That is why AD is so important to the success of the Piston defense. I just wish we had a young Ben Wallace type player to swat away those dribble drive attempts. But that is just not AD and might never be. And it is very doubtful that a team who is still building and developing a team to compete for the title can win without a more consistent rim protector the team can count on night in and night out.

Oracle you are right that this was a back sliding game and we should expect as much especially with Reggie and AD. The problem is that they are the highest paid athletes too. They both had some good moments too but when both have lapses of effort and concentration on the same night it is very disappointing when thinking about or hoping that this team is on the way up. I watched Bradley play a lot last season. He is a player who seems to get better as the season progresses. I just wish both Reggie and Andre would make that change by getting more fit by working to test limits, eat right, limit the sex to after games, and be patient mentally until consistency becomes the norm. How much are they willing to sacrifice? Hopefully some of their teammates will be trying to help them along with the mental aspect of being a superior athlete. I sure am liking what Galloway is giving this team so far. He plays hard and smart on both ends. Love to watch him play basketball.

Too many empty seats Piston fans. Find some kids and take them to a game.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stuff

Post  Oracle on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Murph wrote:Don...I was actually impressed with the way Andre Drummond thoroughly outplayed Myles Turner on both ends of the court last night.  Turner is another highly touted center that Drummond completely shut down.  Turner had a measly 8 points and 6 rebounds, and was physically dominated by Drummond who had 14 points, 21 rebounds and 4 assists.  And Drummond was a +28 on the night, leading all Pistons.  Really, you can't get much more dominant than that. No sh!t, other than the poor FT shooting, there's not much more you could ask of Dre, I just want that performance against Embiid!

Looking at the Celtics depth chart, they look beatable on paper.  I know Brad Stevens is a genius, and Kyrie Irving is a super star now that he's out from under the shadow of Lebron, but the rest of their rotation is less than impressive.  Totally agree, although at home they're a bit more formidable.

If I were SVG, I'd starting figuring out how to beat the Celtics now.  Weak teams have come out of a weak EC before.  Look at the 76ers in 2000, or the Nets in 2002.  You never know.

@Don: I agree with you, but I expect back sliding games, that's where DEPTH comes into play. When somebody is off, your depth kicks in and somebody else steps up. Having said that, it never hurts to call people out for lack of focus.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good Game

Post  Murph on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Don...I was actually impressed with the way Andre Drummond thoroughly outplayed Myles Turner on both ends of the court last night.  Turner is another highly touted center that Drummond completely shut down.  Turner had a measly 8 points and 6 rebounds, and was physically dominated by Drummond who had 14 points, 21 rebounds and 4 assists.  And Drummond was a +28 on the night, leading all Pistons.  Really, you can't get much more dominant than that.

Looking at the Celtics depth chart, they look beatable on paper.  I know Brad Stevens is a genius, and Kyrie Irving is a super star now that he's out from under the shadow of Lebron, but the rest of their rotation is less than impressive.  

If I were SVG, I'd starting figuring out how to beat the Celtics now. Weak teams have come out of a weak EC before. Look at the 76ers in 2000, or the Nets in 2002. You never know.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Problems that caused the Pistons to slide out of the playoffs still exist so don't be fooled by early success

Post  cool breeze on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 pm

This was a pitiful performance overall by the Pistons. I am happy they won the game but we must remember that Indiana had a tough game the night before and our Pistons had several days off. This was a lackluster effort by our starting group with the point guards failing to run the team the right way in the first quarter and the entire 2nd half. The other glaring problem last night was how poorly the starters played on defense all night long. The Pistons have 3 players who still struggle playing average basketball on the defensive end. Their names are Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson and Tobias Harris. As a result the first quarter of this basketball game looked much like most of the games last season after Reggie returned to action. Two of the three players that I have mentioned lack basic recognition skills but their biggest problem is the fact that give less than an honest effort for most of the minutes that they play. You all know who those players are of course. Both players have a habit of lacking the motivation to get their asses back fast in transition. They love to watch their teammates do all the dirty work while they think about their stats on the offensive end. You cannot win much of anything if a team has two of those kind of players. Reggie Jackson and Andre Drummond keep proving why they do not have the mindset to be on a winning team if they are playing big minutes.

Andre Drummond did some good things for brief moments in the 4th quarter. He was AWOL on the first quarter. Below average in the 2nd and horrible in the 3rd. AD's free throws were not falling. That is not what I would be worried about if I were his coach. I was watching AD run from baseline to baseline and compared him to Ben Wallace. What did Big Ben do to disrupt opponents when they ran the court hard in transition? Yes you guessed it Ben ran hard and set up inside the paint to prevent any easy transition baskets. He never ran at half speed like AD does all the time. Let someone else do the work is AD's motto. But AD is the highest paid player on the team. You need to get more effort out of him but he will not give it. There was one point in the game in the last part of the 3rd quarter when Bradley sprinted back on defense after a missed Piston shot. AD was at the free throw line even with Bradley after the shot missed. Bradley ran with purpose afraid Indiana would get a layup. He was in the paint trying to defend two players. Meanwhile AD trotted with the shuffling lazy effort never putting on the after burners to prevent a pass for a baseline jam. Instead AD pulled up and watched Bradley struggle with the situation at the free throw line looking like he was worried that he might get hurt if he went any deeper into traffic. Lack of being engaged and fully in for the team is a glaring defect that this franchise player has displayed and been able to get away with for far too long. Bill Laimbeer attended the game and I am sure he was laughing at AD and thinking for sure that his Piston team would have identified all the issues our starters have and destroyed this current team 99 times out of 100. Did any of those players give half an effort 3/4 of the time they play on defense? It is incredible how badly AD played defense in that game and for sure Indiana will be waiting for a rematch.

Reggie Jackson played defense so sloppy with such little effort that I had to laugh. He would let his man get by him and then lift up his arms for some odd reason trying to show perhaps that he did actually care but make no mistake he doesn't really care about becoming a better defender. And his management of the game on offense was so bad in the first quarter that he should have been benched for the entire game. While the team is trying to play the motion style offense Reggie does everything he can to disrupt that style. Things will turnaround in a bad way unless SVG gets control of both AD and RJ and teaches them the facts of life. You have to do the right thing. You must give a supreme effort or you will be gone.

Tobias Harris is not in the category of AD and RJ who are alike problem children always needing to be watched closely or they will get off track and into trouble. Harris does give an honest effort on defense but he has to get smarter. Young was able to do as he pleased against Harris last night. Either he Tobias needs to get help from the guards or he has to adjust better as to how his man is trying to score. But Tobias makes up for a lot of flaws with his offense on most nights. When is he off on his shooting then the pistons are in for big problems because he defense is just not very good.

Ish Smith, Avery Bradley and Galloway brought the Pistons back from the depths of hell as the team was floundering all through the first quarter and early in the 2nd. Smith got the offense moving properly unlike Reggie Jackson. Everyone was moving, setting screens and cutting while the basketball was moving fast from side to side creating great opportunities. Boban also came in and played well against Jefferson. While Moreland had problems because he got no help against Jefferson, I still thought he played well too. I would rank AD as the 3rd best center last night causing more harm than good for his team. Another good moment was when Bullock was on a break with the ball but did not pull the usual thing the point guards do and instead gave up the ball to Bradley who drained a 3 point shot. That is teamwork. The point guards need to try to create more teamwork instead of doing too many things on their own to prevent teamwork. Still the bright spirits on the court for the Pistons last night were Smith, Bradley, and Galloway. I would love to see Galloway get some of Reggie's minutes at point guard in the future. And Kennard got some minutes last night and I thought he looked great on the defensive end. He had very little chance to show anything on offense as Reggie was doing his solo act much of the night. Kennard can also play point guard.

With the recent success the Pistons have had with much of it caused by luck because of scheduling where the Pistons have played sloppy on some nights but won because opponents had been on road trips and played the Pistons on the 2nd of back to back games, don't count on it continuing if the key players on this team play like they did last night. We all know who those players are and it will be up to the coaching staff to send them to the bench early if it continues. SVG cannot ignore what he calls lack of engagement like he did last season.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Interesting comments on new Piston motion offense and one big Piston coaching blunder by Piston head coach relating to defending Al Jefferson

Post  cool breeze on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 am

in the pre game on television the announcers had a discussion on the new implementation of the motion offense that has been so effective this season. Why did this discussion not take place last season or th season before that? The answer was given in that segment. It seems that Stan Van Gundy " is a pick and roll guy". That is what they all said and I had difficulty believing what I had heard. I have known a lot of high school coaches and played a lot of basketball for many coaches. Only in one instance as a player did I believe my coach was not capable of teaching several offensive styles depending on the make up of the individual team. But it seems that SVG is a pick and roll guy meaning that is what he knows and that is the way it is going to be regardless of who his players might be at any given point in history. And he is actually in charge of the strategy? Are you kidding Mr. Owner? Those statements were difficult for me to believe. SVG had to actually have his assistants convince him that the motion offense might be a better option for this roster than then strictly adhering to a pick and roll type offense. No wonder the point guards have dominated the basketball so much in previous seasons. No wonder almost every Piston fans has fallen asleep during most Piston games. Thanks a lot SVG. I can't remember when the Pistons have had a roster that was suited for a pick and roll type of offense. Forcing something down players throats regardless of their skill set is pure STUPID. There is no excuse for being that stupid. Yet SVG is still the head coach and in fact allowing the motion style offense against his better wishes of course but it had to give up on STUPID to save his job one must now believe. Talk about stubborn and being inflexible. Those two traits usually cause any coach to get fired quickly.

I am wondering how in hell some NBA coaches can convince owner to pay them so much money when it is clear that they have issues preparing for individual games during the regular season. Are they lazy? Or do they not really know how to look at an opposing roster and prepare a specific game plan to defeat their enemy? SVG is guilty for lack of game preparation against Indiana. It is clear as a bell to me and I am not an NBA coach. Anyone could see what was happening in the first quarter when Al Jefferson entered the game. AD had two fouls and Moreland came into the game a few minutes before Jefferson arrived on the hardwood. What do you need to do when Al Jefferson enters a game of you are the opponent? You have to double him in the low post. He can usually get his way against almost anyone even at his elderly age with his slow but powerful moves within 4 feet of the basket. The guard has to come down and quickly double Jefferson so he cannot take 4 to 7 seconds setting up the opposing center for a close in bank shot. His has his back to the basket. Jefferson is not known to be a guy who can pass the ball well out of a double team either. So it is smart strategy to double Jefferson quickly and force him to shoot an off balance shot. So what did SVG do in those situations that happened around 5 times in a row? NOTHING! SVG was not prepared to ask his guard to double Jefferson and the team did not practice that strategy before the game. Poor Moreland had no help. And Moreland was playing great basketball before Jefferson checked in. SVG never thought about doubling him and instead brought in Boban. It was not a bad thing that Boban came in because Jefferson is a slower type player so this was the time and place that Boban could be effective. But there is no excuse for STUPID when the head coach makes millions of dollars a year and doesn't have a game plan to limit Jefferson's impact on a game. Every other team in the league doubles Jefferson when he gets into a game. And why didn't an assistant coach tell SVG what to do like they have done relating to the motion offense??????????????

Another win is great. But the coaching staff needs to get a lot smarter if this team is going to become a consistent winner throughout the long season. The owner needs to demand more for his money.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Quality Win, but...

Post  Oracle on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:45 am

And I hope this isn't a bad omen, but Drummond goes 0 for 7 from the FT line... ouch!!!

But Boban Lives... probably won't see him for another 10 games Smile

I agree with Kennard not being in the rotation right now, but I don't get why Ellenson gets any G-League time.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum