Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+6
cool breeze
Sparma
Oracle
WTF
BallinD
deusXango
10 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Bradley

Post  Murph Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:30 pm

I think rather than starting Galloway at PG, the Pistons need to hurry back Bradley and start him in the backcourt, along with Kennard.  Bradley isn't a PG either.  But he has more experience at the point, he has more experience as a starter and he can probably facilitate the motion offense that everyone wants to see better than Galloway. Although  bringing the ball up the court might be an adventure for Bradley and Kennard.

This would also allow Ish to return to his roll running the 2nd unit, and Galloway to return to his roll as back-up SG, which he excels at.

A better option might be to trade Bradley for a real PG before the deadline.

Wise...you have 9 sisters?  That is shocking.  Shocked

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Stuff

Post  Oracle Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:22 pm

@Sparma:
Sparma wrote:Brandon Knight's out for the season with an ACL, so the comparison with Stanley Johnson and Eric Moreland doesn't really make sense now anyway. That said, my comparison favoring SJ and EM over BK is a very specific one, bringing out the importance of context [and contrastive explanation, the varying relations of fact and foil] in such matters. I used it to attempt to convey that I like both SJ and EM, within limits.
What??? Doesn't make sense to the guy that started the conversation by comparing all three, then proceeds to do it yet again? Not trying to start an argument, but you're not making a bit of sense.

BTW, what in the world does being out with an injury have to do with comparisons? Your logic is severely flawed. Does that mean we can't compare past greats to anybody playing because they aren't playing anymore? That also likely leaves out comparisons to dead players as well... strange logic, more constapative than contrastive  lol

@Ballin - I'm beginning to see how SVG wears out his welcome with players and fans... the dude is annoying! It's great to take responsibility for things, but when you keep having to do that, by definition, you're a f@#kup.

@Sparma 2: "Fast pace is good, Don. The numbers bear it out.". Exactly, some of our best success comes when we have a fast pace, it gives defenses little time to react. Don doesn't like Ish, and that's fine, but when it colors the way you see the game, it's a problem.

@Wise - I don't have a problem with allegations, as long as they are just that, and are followed up with proper legal action. I don't like allegations flung out there with no proof and the automatic assumption of guilt. No one is calling women liars and no one should be calling men guilty unless they admit to it or are proved guilty.

For every woman that won't screw their way to the top, there's one that will. But these dudes are insane, they're pulling out their junk and thinking that the females are just going to drop to their knees and get busy. Those are the guys to get rid of, they're sick and in need of treatment and jail time, IMO.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty On/Off Topic Bradley/Sexual Assault

Post  WTF Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Sorry but social matters just keep rearing its ugly head in the sports world so here we go  lol again.

Okay enough already with all the sexual allegation, behavior, assaults and etc.  Okay please note that I have 3 daughters and perhaps shockingly 9 sisters and I've been protective of them my entire life so I frown on abuse of any kind when it comes to women.  

I don't know what to make of this stuff either men truly have problems or women are in search of fame and big pay day by any means necessary.  I'm not saying all these women are lying but I know damn certain some are.   Especially when you're settling claims with women IMO if allegations are true you press charges and not get paid not to.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!! facepalm
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty We might have been watching a different game

Post  Sparma Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Don: "Smith was a scoring machine in the 2nd quarter. He looked unstoppable. But as that was happening, his teammates were standing at spots much like they did last season. Orlando players were aware this was happening or received instructions at half time by their smart coach and just came down the court on defense and stood at those same spots."

Remember that Smith led a 12-0 run after that 14-0 run.

Also, that's simply not how I saw the games, or how the announcers called it. My worry was that guys weren't keeping up with Smith on the break. Again, Dre did heroic work for a big guy, often being 2nd up court. When Smith was unstoppable guys were moving. The announcers commented on how Orlando players were getting worn down, but also how Smith's teammates were having trouble with the pace. They also mentioned how Smith was getting things done with the Magic's D not being set.

With Smith out, late in the third quarter and the early 4th, Orlando went on a 18-2 or 18-4 run, essentially their margin of victory.

Smith was quite stoppable during much of the 4th quarter. But that came when he was having trouble running. That's when guys stood around. Detroit doesn't have a good stationary O (which is why I keep pleading for Boban, who excels at it).

Fast pace is good, Don. The numbers bear it out.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Ignore At Your Peril

Post  BallinD Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:24 pm

One thing pointed out in a recent article Detroit Bad Boys, was that the Pick & Roll with Tobias and Dre is an underused resource that yields the greatest results of any two PnR partners on the Pistons.  I noticed it by accident a few times and wondered why it isnt used more often SVG?

Dude is so slow to adjust to anything, just standing on the sideline fuming, yelling.  It's really pathetic to expect him to do the right thing, the smart thing in real time.  What he is great at is saying later, "That one is on me."  Hope this is his last year here.

Whatup Avery? Sheesh! Now with Rjax out It looks like Avery at the deadline is looking better and better for the get positioned for the long term next level approach. Get a pick, get a young piece. Recast the team around Dre, Tobias, Luke, Ellensen, Bullock.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty BK/ SJ/ EM

Post  Sparma Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Brandon Knight's out for the season with an ACL, so the comparison with Stanley Johnson and Eric Moreland doesn't really make sense now anyway. That said, my comparison favoring SJ and EM over BK is a very specific one, bringing out the importance of context [and contrastive explanation, the varying relations of fact and foil] in such matters. I used it to attempt to convey that I like both SJ and EM, within limits.

Ordinarily, I follow the conventional BK > SJ > EM ranking. I give various examples, which I don't see as incompatible with my specific contention.

1) Once BK's back up and running, I take part in a fantasy basketball league. Given their respective production, I choose BK over SJ over EM.

2) In some possible world, it turns out that all three have college eligibility and, as coach, I can sign either one or two of them. Given the lesser competition I go BK > SJ > EM.

3) I'm a (marketing) consultant for an expansion team with no prospects of winning but a need for fans: BK > SJ > EM.

4) The next one gets iffy. Phoenix buys out BK. Kerr can sign him or EM for the minimum or SJ on the rookie scale. With that kind of leverage to make BK plays the GS brand of ball (if not, he's released): BK > SK > EM.

5) The scenario I was getting at: GS has the option of a healthy BK at his actual pay, SJ, or EM. EM doesn't make the current GS roster, so I need to add the stipulation that for some reason they're in need of a #3 (not #2!) center for a few minutes off of the bench. I see EM helping them in that role. Same with SJ in a limited, 10 minute, role where he's a hustle guy who restricts his shooting. A heavily paid BK who plays as if the team revolved around him in spite of limited ability? That guy [or the equivalent] makes GS worse. No thanks.

That's a heavily contextualized way of praising EM and SJ: they could contribute to a great team [BK could too IF he were willing to heavily modify his game in the service of the team.]
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:49 am

[quote="lemonpen"]
cool breeze wrote:I wasn't aware that I had trashed the entire team (re-read your own post) just stating facts relating to the weaknesses of several starters relating to defense. That is a fact if you didn't know it. (Nope, your OPINION)

There are signs at times that AD is engaged more but he did fail to box out in one recent game 8 times that resulted in 16 points by the opposition. (Ish v Galloway ? or trashing)

While some of you are stuck believing that our point guards can take us to the promise land I am of the opinion that neither player would be able to lead a team in the playoffs. (Ish v Galloway? or trashing) While some of you notice the ability to create off the dribble, I do not think it is such a good thing for the point guard to create off the dribble without sharing the basketball with other teammates. Both Jackson and Smith go off too much on their own and do not even try to play the motion offense which is the one huge improvement we have seen with the Piston offense this season. That is just my opinion though and I respect the perspective of others. (not really, but no biggie) I do not see any downside of using Bradley as the starting point guard. He can penetrate but for sure would not play like either Jackson or Smith. Few players enjoy playing basketball with ball hog dribble happy alleged creators. All of the players need to move without the ball and set screens. That cannot happen when you have a point guard who tries to do it all himself. Players can only stand around and watch. If that is the best the NBA can offer it is time to stop watching the NBA game. The players need to move and the ball needs to move using both sides of the court or the opposing defense can rest a lot when they play defense against the Pistons. When our point guards use the dribble to create they are not using it like Irving or some of the other high scoring point guards. Those guards see the floor well and run the offense that the team practices. Both Smith and Jackson run their own offense at times. And when they do the Pistons usually lose. I would welcome a new point guard who just gets the first pass in where it is supposed to be quickly with no fancy nonsense and then moves himself without the basketball instead of bringing the ball down the court and trying to create off the dribble like a moron. In the last game, Reggie Jackson actually played the right way and the result was our Pistons looked like a team that knew what in hell they were doing. Galloway, Bradley and Kennard would get the job done the right way and the team would love playing the game of basketball. It is not fun to play with a point guard who dominates the ball. Players need to feel that they are having fun instead of just showing up for a job and collecting the pay check. They will do that of course if necessary but playing with a real smart point guard is preferred. Smith's speed is great and is most effective because he is a change of pace for the 2nd unit team.If the 2nd unit has players who cannot score then it would be necessary for Smith to dominate the basketball. I don't know maybe some of you like watching small quick players who dribble around a lot and shoot the ball a lot. I don't and you can't win that way. But I sure was impressed with Smith's dunk in the last game. He was on a break and God did he get up and he did it so quickly. Bam and the ball was through the net.

You trashed everyone from Gores to the ball boy in route to supporting Galloway as a starter.

The thing is I happen to agree that Galloway should start, but for different reasons.  
Galloway plays a lesser role once the ball crosses mid court as Drummond becomes more pivotal in triggering offensive.  Hopefully he (LG) could knock down a few shots when called upon.

Ish will work fine with the starting unit (experience off and on as the game closer), but the bench will suffer greatly.  Outside of Ish the 2nd unit is a group of stand still shooters (inc Galloway) whose effectiveness (on O) falls off dramatically when forced to dribble.  The quality of their play depends on Smith creating sufficient shooting openings.  I doubt Galloway can do that for them.  Complicating matters more are Stanley and Moreland who can pickup NO offensive slack.
So, I agree that LG should start, but only because that decision results in a smaller overall negative to unit performance.

Didn't know that I mentioned Mr. Gores or the ball boy Lemonpen but my apologies if I did that. You stated things in a better way. My thinking was that the starters might benefit and run the motion offense with more discipline with a Galloway or for that matter Bradley type point guard. That group might show us that they can function well moving without the ball and passing the ball making the 3rd or 4th pass at times to get a better opportunity or get shots in rhythm. My biggest worry was how the 2nd unit would function without Smith playing with those guys. Sure enough Smith played well as a starter but the other 4 starters didn't play well as a group. The 2nd unit with Galloway forcing too many shots did not play as well without Smith. Who will Smith match up with on defense against Houston if he starts? This team has some things to work out but all is not lost just yet. Will Bradley play in the next game? This still is a fun season for me unlike last year. I am pulling hard for the young guys to find themselves and really start contributing in a big way.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Save final judgment on players until the season is over please

Post  cool breeze Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am

It is almost funny to read some of our posts including some of my own relating to making judgments on individual players. I like this group although I agree the team has not found a real identity yet as Zeke and C Web advised. When the shots are not falling a team with a real identity does not quit on defense or lag back on defense when the going gets tough. This is what the Pistons did against Orlando because they did not have the will to turn up their effort on defense after missing open shots or making bad decisions passing the basketball.

In the last game Reggie Jackson got his teammates moving without the basketball and passing the ball using both sides of the floor. With Smith starting players were standing at their designated spots on the floor in the 2nd half. Smith was a scoring machine in the 2nd quarter. He looked unstoppable. But as that was happening, his teammates were standing at spots much like they did last season. Orlando players were aware this was happening or received instructions at half time by their smart coach and just came down the court on defense and stood at those same spots. How much energy did Orlando players expend guarding the Pistons in the 2nd half. It didn't take much effort. AD started gambling on his passes. Piston players played with no purpose on offense. Piston players could not hit open shots. Galloway had his worst game of the season. Smith ran out of gas. Yet with 6 minutes to go I thought that Orlando could be easy prey for a team that had a real identity. You call a time out and collectively say you are going to refuse to lose that game. You get stops and run a real offense getting into the paint to draw a few fouls. If that could have happened, Detroit would have at least been in that game. But instead the entire team collapsed when the long ball didn't go in the hole.

The Pistons needed to win that game but they were not motivated enough to play good defense from the start as AD refused to take on the role of a paint protector and allowed easy baskets by drivers in the first quarter. Kennard had another tough night especially in the first quarter. We can go down the list and find fault with everyone on the team. But I am more worried about the next game now and for that matter it appears that the Pistons might get on another losing streak that could total 5 or 6 games unless they start playing more disciplined on both ends of the floor.

With all of the heart break that we feel after loses to weak teams, all is not lost. Positive signs that my April this team could gel is there. This team has a nice blend of players this season. There are a lot of unknowns as to how everything might play out in the end but there is a chance that this team can get a lot better.

Players like Johnson, Bullock, Kennard, Galloway and Moreland need to improve in a big way by spring. If two out of four of them improve 30% this team could provide all Piston fans with something to look forward to next season if nothing else. I hope the coach doesn't give up on any of those players.
1. Stanley Johnson - Good defender, knows the offense and has solid floor game - needs to get his confidence back and keep shooting the ball but improve on the release. He can do it.
2. Kennard - is finding his way still at a disadvantage experience wise. Keep shooting the ball and don't hesitate making plays off the dribble. He can be a deadly shooter.
3. Bullock - Made 3 big mistakes on defense in the 2nd half of this last game. He has all the tools to become a good two way player. Keep shooting the rock Reggie. This guy can make shots in many ways and he is capable of being a good defender too.
4. Moreland currently is 2nd in the NBA in drawing charges. He is fundamentally sound athletic and plays with high energy. He had a tough matchup weight wise in this last game. I want Moreland to get a lot o playing time this season and then hit the weight room and gain 20 pounds over the summer. Moreland can have the impact similar to Ben Wallace as time moves forward. He is the low priced rotation player that can have a great impact on his team on the defensive end just by getting bigger and stronger. Still I am hoping he goes crazy like Ben Wallace before the season is over and plays like a mad man.
5. Galloway - had a tough night against Orlando. Who knows why but it could be because he knows that his role is changing at least for now. Galloway has been an important player for our Pistons this season. He now needs to up his game on both ends of the floor playing hard nosed defense and limiting turnovers. I have confidence that he can knock down shots. Last night was not an indication of his ability.

Andre Drummond - One big key this season is how AD will finish up. The big positive for me is that Andre is not the same player he was last season. AD has improved in many areas. His free throw shooting style and percentage shows that he can overcome bad habits. He has a nice dribble drive move from the free throw line to the basket. His passing at times is outstanding. He is fighting harder int he 2nd half of games for defensive rebounds and has blocked some shots. If AD can continue to improve with consistency in effort and play all out for more minutes, he can change this team in a big way. He needs to lead by example and help create the team identity that is currently missing because of lack of consistency in energy the entire team shows at times. AD can be a difference maker if he really wants it badly.

Tobias Harris - is a better player this season. That is a positive and provides me with hope that Tobias can get even better by spring not only providing scoring but becoming a better defender too.

Tolliver - is an outstanding chemistry creator and performer on the court and I think he will provide the stability this team needs relating to team preparation before the game begins. This team needs to find their focus before games and come out with confidence and purpose and refuse to lose.

Bradley - has been sitting on the bench now for a long time. For me at least, there is hope that Avery will be the leader that I think he is and make everyone in the rotation better when he returns regardless of the position that he plays at. Avery likes it when his team runs the offense that the team practices and not play the street ball that the Pistons often revert back to at times. Hopefully, this team will become more disciplined on the offensive end and use both sides of the court taking advantage of more weak side plays with all 5 players moving without the ball and the ball moving without so much dribbling on each possession. At least 2 out of every possession should involve setting up the motion offense and running it the right way. That takes hard work involving good screens and effort making the cuts. And players need to stop turning the ball over with lazy passes.

I like this team. I believe there is hope at the team will survive after maybe losing the next 4 games and find themselves tougher and stronger and more unwilling to lose games like they did in Orlando. Keep the faith Piston fans. Make your final judgements on players after the season is over. We have a long time to go before we really know who the keepers are.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Ish v Galloway

Post  lemonpen Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 am

cool breeze wrote:I wasn't aware that I had trashed the entire team (re-read your own post) just stating facts relating to the weaknesses of several starters relating to defense. That is a fact if you didn't know it. (Nope, your OPINION)

There are signs at times that AD is engaged more but he did fail to box out in one recent game 8 times that resulted in 16 points by the opposition. (Ish v Galloway ? or trashing)

While some of you are stuck believing that our point guards can take us to the promise land I am of the opinion that neither player would be able to lead a team in the playoffs. (Ish v Galloway? or trashing) While some of you notice the ability to create off the dribble, I do not think it is such a good thing for the point guard to create off the dribble without sharing the basketball with other teammates. Both Jackson and Smith go off too much on their own and do not even try to play the motion offense which is the one huge improvement we have seen with the Piston offense this season. That is just my opinion though and I respect the perspective of others. (not really, but no biggie) I do not see any downside of using Bradley as the starting point guard. He can penetrate but for sure would not play like either Jackson or Smith. Few players enjoy playing basketball with ball hog dribble happy alleged creators. All of the players need to move without the ball and set screens. That cannot happen when you have a point guard who tries to do it all himself. Players can only stand around and watch. If that is the best the NBA can offer it is time to stop watching the NBA game. The players need to move and the ball needs to move using both sides of the court or the opposing defense can rest a lot when they play defense against the Pistons. When our point guards use the dribble to create they are not using it like Irving or some of the other high scoring point guards. Those guards see the floor well and run the offense that the team practices. Both Smith and Jackson run their own offense at times. And when they do the Pistons usually lose. I would welcome a new point guard who just gets the first pass in where it is supposed to be quickly with no fancy nonsense and then moves himself without the basketball instead of bringing the ball down the court and trying to create off the dribble like a moron. In the last game, Reggie Jackson actually played the right way and the result was our Pistons looked like a team that knew what in hell they were doing. Galloway, Bradley and Kennard would get the job done the right way and the team would love playing the game of basketball. It is not fun to play with a point guard who dominates the ball. Players need to feel that they are having fun instead of just showing up for a job and collecting the pay check. They will do that of course if necessary but playing with a real smart point guard is preferred. Smith's speed is great and is most effective because he is a change of pace for the 2nd unit team.If the 2nd unit has players who cannot score then it would be necessary for Smith to dominate the basketball. I don't know maybe some of you like watching small quick players who dribble around a lot and shoot the ball a lot. I don't and you can't win that way. But I sure was impressed with Smith's dunk in the last game. He was on a break and God did he get up and he did it so quickly. Bam and the ball was through the net.

You trashed everyone from Gores to the ball boy in route to supporting Galloway as a starter.

The thing is I happen to agree that Galloway should start, but for different reasons.
Galloway plays a lesser role once the ball crosses mid court as Drummond becomes more pivotal in triggering offensive. Hopefully he (LG) could knock down a few shots when called upon.

Ish will work fine with the starting unit (experience off and on as the game closer), but the bench will suffer greatly. Outside of Ish the 2nd unit is a group of stand still shooters (inc Galloway) whose effectiveness (on O) falls off dramatically when forced to dribble. The quality of their play depends on Smith creating sufficient shooting openings. I doubt Galloway can do that for them. Complicating matters more are Stanley and Moreland who can pickup NO offensive slack.
So, I agree that LG should start, but only because that decision results in a smaller overall negative to unit performance.

lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty The Domino Effect

Post  Murph Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 am

Yikes!  It wasn't just that we were missing Reggie, it was that everyone who had to adjust to life without Reggie was thrown off their game also.  

Ish had a good game as a starter, but Galloway had his worst game of the season trying to play back-up PG.  In fact, the entire 2nd unit was dreadful.

And Kennard is looking more and more like a spot up jump shooter, which is fine.  But he isn't a PG by any stretch of the imagination.

With Reggie out, we only have one PG on this team.  Unless SVG can pick up another NBA quality PG, our season is going down in a ball of flames.  For all the money he spent, SVG sure put together a poorly constructed roster.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:23 am

@Sparma - If you can mention Stanley & Moreland in the same sentence with Knight, you obviously need to watch a lot more basketball. Knight, who the Bucks have never recovered from losing compared to two guys who've shown absolutely no ability in the NBA... I'm shocked you even thought that, let alone immortalized in writing.

@Ballin - I totally agree, this was about a 90% coaching loss. It's almost like last year when Reggie came back. SVG gets turned around when he has to adapt to new lineup changes, he struggles to know how to deploy the right guys in the right spots.

@Wise - Kennard sucked HARD, and I'm glad it happened. It's nights like these that will ensure that he's going to become a good player...  Happens to the best of them.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Kennard Is Okay

Post  WTF Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:30 am

Beating up the rookie I see  lol
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty When More Than Half of The Team Is Not Ready To Play

Post  BallinD Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:32 am

Ya gotta look at the Coach. He's confused, we didn't play D nor could we score. Hmmm! Think he had Galloway ready to play 3rd PG?? Did he give him PG minutes with that unit b4 tonite?! He sure didn't look prepared! SJ! Wow. No Boban again! But for sure the players were lackadaisacal, again, I question the coach about that, though I know he didn't miss a shot or turn the ball over once. It is maddening!

Oracle wrote:It's not surprising that you're pulling shoes out of your hind quarters!!!

WTF Kennard. 4 turns and -22 on the night??? Took him only 19 minutes to achieve those numbers... oh well, rookies have those nights.

What's Stanley "I'm falling off a cliff" Johnson's excuse, and Galloway laying an egg!

Sparma, SVG didn't listen to you about Boban as Moreland scores Zip, Zilch, Nada.

Tolliver needed 23 minutes to produce 1 point... no, that's not a typo!

As I said, 4 players showed up and all 4 were starters: Drummond, Harris, Ish & Bullock... thanks for your efforts guys!!!
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Oracle/ Magic

Post  Sparma Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 pm

Good points about two of the duds I didn't mention, Oracle: Tolliver and Stanley. Ordinarily, I'm happy to see Tolliver come into the game. In fact, even tonight I think he slowed Gordon down a bit. Not his night though. And Stanley J.... Even both announcers got on him: Matt S: [something like]: After going 1-8 the last game, he's 1-6 so far tonight. Kelser: Really, he's struggled with his shot all year, with a few exceptions. He needs consistency.

Confession: I often cringe when I see Stanley J take a shot from distance. And I'm not hating on Stanley. He does some things well. Beautiful pass to Dre, praised by Shepherd. Got a key turnover at the end of a period, leading to FTs. But please, please, limit him to what he does well.

Here's a thought experiment:

Add Moreland to Golden State and he gives them a few valuable energy minutes off the bench.
Add Stanley J. to Golden State, playing him maybe 10 minutes and he makes a contribution.
Add Brandon Knight to GS and he makes them worse due to his selfishness combined with limited ability.

My point there is that I like Moreland and Stanley J, think they can contribute even on a great team. But ask too much of them, and they bring the team down (harkening, once more, to the announcers: they both praised Stanley J in his recent performance as reserve, specifically noting how much more often he shoots FTs in that role).

Oracle wrote:It's not surprising that you're pulling shoes out of your hind quarters!!!

WTF Kennard. 4 turns and -22 on the night??? Took him only 19 minutes to achieve those numbers... oh well, rookies have those nights.

What's Stanley "I'm falling off a cliff" Johnson's excuse, and Galloway laying an egg!

Sparma, SVG didn't listen to you about Boban as Moreland scores Zip, Zilch, Nada.

As I said, 4 players showed up and all 4 were starters: Drummond, Harris, Ish & Bullock... thanks for your efforts guys!!!
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Well, when you only have 4 players show up...

Post  Oracle Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 pm

It's not surprising that you're pulling shoes out of your hind quarters!!!

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Magic??

Post  Sparma Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Obnoxiousness alert: I like my game plan better than Stan's.

You score 89 against a team that lets up 111 on average. You need some O, Stan. And that's spelled: B....

You can't block out a 320 pounder who's listed at 255? Their physical Center has his best game of the year? Who ya gonna call?

Other observations: Kennard was terrible, especially in the 1st quarter. Even Matt Shepherd commented on his "rough" game. And that included good shooting from 3, and ok shooting overall. Just awful. Kelser gently put his finger on a big problem. Kennard can't get by folks, causing him to play slow (or caused by playing slow), leading the D being set, and TOs. 4 in 19 minutes, a -22, way worse than the next person (Galloway at -13). I'll go to Oracle's mantra: make him earn his minutes.

Ish spearheaded 14-0 and 12-0 runs, playing smart, with speed. With 7 rebounds!! And it looked to me like Dre was the second guy on a lot of those breaks.

The game was lost when he went out at the end of the 3rd: 9-2 run with him and Dre out, leading to an 18-2 run with Ish out. Part of what happened? Defensive specialist Moreland couldn't cope with big bodied Speight. And of course he didn't contribute on O either (not that he was bad: he took a charge, then blocked on two successive possessions). I didn't mind Moreland in at the beginning of the 2nd, with Dre having played the entire 1st quarter (?!) and with Orlando having scored 33 in the 1st. But then make the adjustment, when needed.

I still think Galloway can handle back up PG duties, but his shot was uncharacteristically off. You need some simple sets for him to settle into the groove. Boban's not the answer to all of our woes, but SVG sure didn't have the answers.

Some seem to think I'm enthusing about a circus act; I'd just like to see some out of the box thinking by the coach. Maybe it's not even out of the box: use your assets, putting them in places they can succeed. And when you need to score, put guys in who can score.

Good game by Orlando, winning by a ton in the end, but this one could have been had.

Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty I will stick with my assessment after reading some good posts about the point guard issue

Post  cool breeze Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 pm

I wasn't aware that I had trashed the entire team just stating facts relating to the weaknesses of several starters relating to defense. That is a fact if you didn't know it.
There are signs at times that AD is engaged more but he did fail to box out in one recent game 8 times that resulted in 16 points by the opposition.

While some of you are stuck believing that our point guards can take us to the promise land I am of the opinion that neither player would be able to lead a team in the playoffs. While some of you notice the ability to create off the dribble, I do not think it is such a good thing for the point guard to create off the dribble without sharing the basketball with other teammates. Both Jackson and Smith go off too much on their own and do not even try to play the motion offense which is the one huge improvement we have seen with the Piston offense this season. That is just my opinion though and I respect the perspective of others. I do not see any downside of using Bradley as the starting point guard. He can penetrate but for sure would not play like either Jackson or Smith. Few players enjoy playing basketball with ball hog dribble happy alleged creators. All of the players need to move without the ball and set screens. That cannot happen when you have a point guard who tries to do it all himself. Players can only stand around and watch. If that is the best the NBA can offer it is time to stop watching the NBA game. The players need to move and the ball needs to move using both sides of the court or the opposing defense can rest a lot when they play defense against the Pistons. When our point guards use the dribble to create they are not using it like Irving or some of the other high scoring point guards. Those guards see the floor well and run the offense that the team practices. Both Smith and Jackson run their own offense at times. And when they do the Pistons usually lose. I would welcome a new point guard who just gets the first pass in where it is supposed to be quickly with no fancy nonsense and then moves himself without the basketball instead of bringing the ball down the court and trying to create off the dribble like a moron. In the last game, Reggie Jackson actually played the right way and the result was our Pistons looked like a team that knew what in hell they were doing. Galloway, Bradley and Kennard would get the job done the right way and the team would love playing the game of basketball. It is not fun to play with a point guard who dominates the ball. Players need to feel that they are having fun instead of just showing up for a job and collecting the pay check. They will do that of course if necessary but playing with a real smart point guard is preferred. Smith's speed is great and is most effective because he is a change of pace for the 2nd unit team.If the 2nd unit has players who cannot score then it would be necessary for Smith to dominate the basketball. I don't know maybe some of you like watching small quick players who dribble around a lot and shoot the ball a lot. I don't and you can't win that way. But I sure was impressed with Smith's dunk in the last game. He was on a break and God did he get up and he did it so quickly. Bam and the ball was through the net.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty What I'd do at PG, and yes, the solution involves Boban

Post  Sparma Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:56 pm

I'd start Ish, trying to keep his minutes limited, maybe with a bit of back up PGing from Buyck, Avery, and even Kennard. The major back up minutes would go to Galloway. Langlois' got serious faults due to his position as promoter, but he's got some great tidbits too: Ish plays at the fastest pace (4.96 mph as I remember) of any player, I think since that stat started in 2013-'14. His speed is truly extraordinarily, but stamina's a question, so his minutes need to be limited. He's great at dodging in and out of traffic, creating stuff, but not great at finishing inside. I wonder if part of the reason Boban doesn't play much is that the lane tends to get congested when he's in there, making it tough for a penetrator like Ish (or Reggie J) to operate. With AD playing so much in the high key, Ish should be fine. More of the O will need to go by way of Tobias, and some still by Dre. I foresee the starters being fine in that configuration.

The second unit's going to be an issue. Galloway has done well in the PG role in limited showings. Well, I think he does well at part of it, but not the part that Ish and Reggie excel at, namely creating off of penetration. What Galloway does well is make quick, direct, passes. I don't think he much of a creator with the dribble. Or maybe that ability will manifest itself more now that it's needed? Part of my solution? Match him with Boban, allowing Langston to make use of his twofold strength a) direct, decisive, passing and b) distance shooting. Boban gives him the dangerous guy in the post for simple, but effective, passes. I'd minimize Moreland's minutes during this stretch for the reason given, and because I think O off the bench is going to be harder to come by.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Ish v Langston

Post  lemonpen Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:32 pm

cool breeze wrote:To me it is a no brainer that Stan Van Gundy start Galloway for the ailing Reggie Jackson. The starters need a point guard who is a facilitator not a ball dominate type player like Smith. In the last game, Reggie Jackson played the point guard position the right way unlike any game that i previously watched him play as a Piston. He was not dribbling around and quickly make the correct first pass to get the half court offense running smoothly. Harris was receiving the ball with perfect timing. Smith gets out of control much of the time like Reggie has done when the offense is completely out of sync.

The 2nd unit players are used to Smith's style on offense so by starting Smith both the starters and the 2nd unit will now need to make adjustments which could hurt the function of the entire team. And if Galloway is the starter, he is much more capable of defending NBA starting point guards. Smith struggles defending anyone in the NBA. The starters already have dysfunctional defenders in the starting unit. Maybe it is a toss up as to who is worse on defense, Reggie or Ish but this season Reggie has actually been effective as a defender at times. How will Smith be able to defend either Wall or Beal just to name one team competing with Detroit for playoff positioning? He cannot defend either player and never will be able to hold his own against most starting NBA point guards. For Stan Van Gundy to ignore this huge weakness is insane. If Smith starts the Pistons will have three starters who have great difficulty on defense and those players are Harris, Drummond and now Smith. Opponents will carve out a game plan that will force SVG's hand if he goes ahead with Smith as a starter. Isolation plays with Smith being posted close to the basket. Forcing switches where Smith will look like Pee Wee Herman trying to guard someone who is 8 or 9 inches taller than Smith. Why do it?

But this is what is likely the course SVG will settle on because he is not the caliber of coach Brad Stevens has always been. What would Brad do? What would Kerr do? What would Walton do? What would Pop do? The list of coaches who have made a fool out of SVG is long. But SVG is not the worst or close to the worst coach the Pistons have hired in the past. SVG will think it is politically correct to start Smith now and reward him for the work he has done for the team. Go for it Stan. I have no complaints but it is a stupid thing to do. Starting Galloway is the smart thing to do now.

When Bradley returns put the ball in his hands and let him lead this team.  I have been waiting for the opportunity to see Avery Bradley play the point guard position. He does not touch the ball enough playing the 2 guard when either Jackson or Smith are the primary ball handlers. Bradley has experience playing point guard. I trust his judgment completely. Bradley played hurt earlier and only made his injury worse. I just hope he can return soon. I have read some of the negative posts about Bradley and suspect you will all take those comments back before the season ends. At least I hope you do and he becomes the player I think he can be for this Piston team. Bradley or Galloway greatly improves the Piston defense for the starting group. Now that Reggie is going to be out for a long time, the team needs a positive thing to happen not make things worse. Defense improves for sure if either Galloway or Bradley start.

If the Pistons have one glaring issue it is the overall weakness of both Jackson and Smith as to their negative impact on the team relating to defense. Yet it seems that it is in stone that Smith will start and the new point guard experiment will take place with the 2nd unit with Buycks. Maybe he would work out better as a starter than Smith because he can defend better. This team has no star players. All players will need to grind out every game and play exceptionally well on defense to win. That means AD can no longer be engaged for half of the game. He has to be ready to give his best effort. Reggie was getting better but still inconsistent on defense. Smith has remained the same relating to defense. He is among the worst guard defenders in the league. How can SVG overlook this defect? Yet I am sure he will until the loses start piling up. Our only hope is that opposing teams do not bother to create a actual game plan before playing the Pistons now. It is not uncommon for NBA teams to just show up with no specific plan in mind for specific teams. That is why the NBA is so flawed and just wants to provide entertainment. Great job Adam Silver. I wish he would show up to some Piston games in an Austin Powers outfit to get the crowd rocking. Bring in some real entertainment. Trade Boban for Fat Bastard. How about Foxy Cleopatra performing at halftime singing and introducing Gold Goldfinger in that skating outfit? This is the NBA where palming the basketball allows the dribbler to move 4 feet with no dribble. Big men can stand in the paint for 5 or 6 seconds. What else will come next when the fans fall to sleep attending the 2nd of a back to back game. Does the NBA actually give a crap about fans who attend the games? No way because the bread and butter are the huge television contracts where the Front office people get rich but really don't know squat about basketball at all. Will we see the day where no fans attend games and dummies are placed in the seats with speakers making all the noise? Maybe Tom Gores should think about filling those high priced red seats that are always empty with dummies now.  

Was it necessary to trash the entire team in order to answer the question.  Dang !!!

6 to 8 wks is a long time, affording Stan an opportunity to assess several options. I have questions regarding use of Bradley, or Galloway or the Dukie at the position.
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Ish v Langston

Post  lemonpen Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:27 pm

cool breeze wrote:To me it is a no brainer that Stan Van Gundy start Galloway for the ailing Reggie Jackson. The starters need a point guard who is a facilitator not a ball dominate type player like Smith. In the last game, Reggie Jackson played the point guard position the right way unlike any game that i previously watched him play as a Piston. He was not dribbling around and quickly make the correct first pass to get the half court offense running smoothly. Harris was receiving the ball with perfect timing. Smith gets out of control much of the time like Reggie has done when the offense is completely out of sync.

The 2nd unit players are used to Smith's style on offense so by starting Smith both the starters and the 2nd unit will now need to make adjustments which could hurt the function of the entire team. And if Galloway is the starter, he is much more capable of defending NBA starting point guards. Smith struggles defending anyone in the NBA. The starters already have dysfunctional defenders in the starting unit. Maybe it is a toss up as to who is worse on defense, Reggie or Ish but this season Reggie has actually been effective as a defender at times. How will Smith be able to defend either Wall or Beal just to name one team competing with Detroit for playoff positioning? He cannot defend either player and never will be able to hold his own against most starting NBA point guards. For Stan Van Gundy to ignore this huge weakness is insane. If Smith starts the Pistons will have three starters who have great difficulty on defense and those players are Harris, Drummond and now Smith. Opponents will carve out a game plan that will force SVG's hand if he goes ahead with Smith as a starter. Isolation plays with Smith being posted close to the basket. Forcing switches where Smith will look like Pee Wee Herman trying to guard someone who is 8 or 9 inches taller than Smith. Why do it?

But this is what is likely the course SVG will settle on because he is not the caliber of coach Brad Stevens has always been. What would Brad do? What would Kerr do? What would Walton do? What would Pop do? The list of coaches who have made a fool out of SVG is long. But SVG is not the worst or close to the worst coach the Pistons have hired in the past. SVG will think it is politically correct to start Smith now and reward him for the work he has done for the team. Go for it Stan. I have no complaints but it is a stupid thing to do. Starting Galloway is the smart thing to do now.

When Bradley returns put the ball in his hands and let him lead this team.  I have been waiting for the opportunity to see Avery Bradley play the point guard position. He does not touch the ball enough playing the 2 guard when either Jackson or Smith are the primary ball handlers. Bradley has experience playing point guard. I trust his judgment completely. Bradley played hurt earlier and only made his injury worse. I just hope he can return soon. I have read some of the negative posts about Bradley and suspect you will all take those comments back before the season ends. At least I hope you do and he becomes the player I think he can be for this Piston team. Bradley or Galloway greatly improves the Piston defense for the starting group. Now that Reggie is going to be out for a long time, the team needs a positive thing to happen not make things worse. Defense improves for sure if either Galloway or Bradley start.

If the Pistons have one glaring issue it is the overall weakness of both Jackson and Smith as to their negative impact on the team relating to defense. Yet it seems that it is in stone that Smith will start and the new point guard experiment will take place with the 2nd unit with Buycks. Maybe he would work out better as a starter than Smith because he can defend better. This team has no star players. All players will need to grind out every game and play exceptionally well on defense to win. That means AD can no longer be engaged for half of the game. He has to be ready to give his best effort. Reggie was getting better but still inconsistent on defense. Smith has remained the same relating to defense. He is among the worst guard defenders in the league. How can SVG overlook this defect? Yet I am sure he will until the loses start piling up. Our only hope is that opposing teams do not bother to create a actual game plan before playing the Pistons now. It is not uncommon for NBA teams to just show up with no specific plan in mind for specific teams. That is why the NBA is so flawed and just wants to provide entertainment. Great job Adam Silver. I wish he would show up to some Piston games in an Austin Powers outfit to get the crowd rocking. Bring in some real entertainment. Trade Boban for Fat Bastard. How about Foxy Cleopatra performing at halftime singing and introducing Gold Goldfinger in that skating outfit? This is the NBA where palming the basketball allows the dribbler to move 4 feet with no dribble. Big men can stand in the paint for 5 or 6 seconds. What else will come next when the fans fall to sleep attending the 2nd of a back to back game. Does the NBA actually give a crap about fans who attend the games? No way because the bread and butter are the huge television contracts where the Front office people get rich but really don't know squat about basketball at all. Will we see the day where no fans attend games and dummies are placed in the seats with speakers making all the noise? Maybe Tom Gores should think about filling those high priced red seats that are always empty with dummies now.  

Was it necessary to trash the entire team in order to answer the question. Dang !!!

With Ish, 6 to 8 weeks is a long time
lemonpen
lemonpen

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Start Galloway instead of Ish?

Post  Oracle Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Easier said than done, but it might be worth a try.

The biggest obstacle to starting Galloway is that he isn't conditioned to starter minutes, so it may be better to start Ish initially as he builds up his conditioning.

Not sure about Buycks, but he's obviously in the mix right now for some minutes.

However, I have full confidence that Ish can bring this team to the playoffs and we'll still get near 50 wins if SVG doesn't blow it.

The schedule from here on out is full of a ton of bottom feeders which we should dispatch even on off nights. Ok, I hear somebody saying that those are the guys we tend to lose to, but this time will hopefully be different.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty It would be wiser if the coach started Langston Galloway at point guard and keep Smith in his current role

Post  cool breeze Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

To me it is a no brainer that Stan Van Gundy start Galloway for the ailing Reggie Jackson. The starters need a point guard who is a facilitator not a ball dominate type player like Smith. In the last game, Reggie Jackson played the point guard position the right way unlike any game that i previously watched him play as a Piston. He was not dribbling around and quickly make the correct first pass to get the half court offense running smoothly. Harris was receiving the ball with perfect timing. Smith gets out of control much of the time like Reggie has done when the offense is completely out of sync.

When Bradley returns put the ball in his hands and let him lead this team. I have been waiting for the opportunity to see Avery Bradley play the point guard position. He does not touch the ball enough playing the 2 guard when either Jackson or Smith are the primary ball handlers. Bradley has experience playing point guard. I trust his judgment completely. Bradley played hurt earlier and only made his injury worse. I just hope he can return soon. I have read some of the negative posts about Bradley and suspect you will all take those comments back before the season ends. At least I hope you do and he becomes the player I think he can be for this Piston team. Bradley or Galloway greatly improves the Piston defense for the starting group. Now that Reggie is going to be out for a long time, the team needs a positive thing to happen not make things worse. Defense improves for sure if either Galloway or Bradley start.

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty China

Post  Sparma Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 pm

On another site (DBB) someone (discussing our PG situation) said it's difficult to bring players over from China before the end of their season, circa March. That's second hand, as I remember it....

Murph wrote:Does anyone know anything about the CBA?  Can those guys get out of their contracts to return to the NBA?

If so, what about Brandon Jennings or Jimmer Fredette.  They are both 28 years old and tearing it up in China.  Also, Darius Adams might be worth a look.

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/chinese-cba/stats

SVG...are you paying attention or snoozing?   Sleep

Don...good post.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty China Basketball Association

Post  Murph Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Does anyone know anything about the CBA?  Can those guys get out of their contracts to return to the NBA?

If so, what about Brandon Jennings or Jimmer Fredette.  They are both 28 years old and tearing it up in China.  Also, Darius Adams might be worth a look.

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/chinese-cba/stats

SVG?

Don...good post.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Cool

Post  Sparma Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Great stuff on Walton, Cool. I thought maybe you were taking a breather, so good to have you on board.

cool breeze wrote:
lemonpen wrote:Without looking it up (feelin kind of lazy) I would guess that the numbers don't tell the full story regarding Bill Walton.  That dude affected the game in many more ways than Dre does today.  If I were tasked with a one word description I would say COMPLETE.  He was way more than just a rebounder or scorer.  This is no knock on Dre, who I will admit is becoming a better player than given credit (by me).  But, Big Red got it done in all aspects of the game, including leadership.

Maurice Lucas was simply put, a bad MoFo.  He was Rick Mahorn with big time offensive skills.  Like Mahorn, Lucas exemplified the toughness / nastiness characteristic of the era along with an ability to do a 20/15 on ya.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Read Walton's book "Back From the Dead" which is a book he wrote while completely disabled and unable to walk for a long period of time. He lived in a more innocent world yet made hard decisions about quality of life. He describes what was going through his mind when he decided to turn down huge money to enjoy college basketball and academics. He even turns down an invitation to be on an Olympic basketball team.

Bill hits it out of the park with his description of  the beauty of a young kid living on a cloud playing with no thought of money and how fun and lucky you do feel when you can be on a high school or college team. Walton's career in the NBA was not how he wanted it to be because of his congenital issues relating to a drastic growth spirt as a kid. But nobody can match his college career where he dominated unlike any big man in the history of the sport and did it without any ego attached. He liked riding his bike around the UCLA campus and attending class more than accepting the bullying of the Olympic committee fat cat rulers or the suitcases of money offered him by the ABA. He turned them all down because he knew that money meant next to nothing compared to to the fun he was having at the time with no money. And it was not as if he had a safety net with his parents. They were not rich. That book reminds me a lot of the old days where the media was limited in their involvement in our everyday lives and PT Barnum sports promoter snakes were corrupting boys in the 8th grade or younger. Fewer people were making judgments on young men or kids through social media. Kids were just thinking about playing ball and school work and pretty girls. Very innocent stuff and Walton puts you there in that book. One of my buddies attended the same high school in San Diego and played for Walton's first varsity coach. My buddy's team won the State Championship and loved this coach. Walton hated the way that same coach made his team play basketball. That coach quit and moved on to another higher level of coaching. Walton was then in heaven as the new coach played a new faster paced game featuring full court pressing and a more up tempo passing game. Walton was a perfect fit for John Wooden's unselfish team first concept where high character meant everything. And Walton really tested Wooden's limits. Drummond would have had his ass kicked in so many ways if he had gone up against Walton in college. Drummond was a complete failure as a college player because he came in with a complete lack of the fundamentals that all big men needed to have in Walton's era. Most likely Drummond would have worked his ass off like Walton just to get on the court if he had lived as a kid in that era. You just couldn't play if you didn't have the basic fundamentals down by the 8th grade. Conditioning was mandatory in that era too. And Walton was in superior shape and had maybe the highest basketball IQ of any big man to ever play the high school and college game. Most likely Andre would show a higher basketball IQ if he had learned the fundamentals at an early age and had played 4 years in college before arriving in the NBA. So it is very difficult to make any judgments with the two players. Imagine how good college competition could be if the top tier players had to stay in college 4 years. And for them, later in life, the memories would be worth the reduction in their net worth. The NBA would be a much better game too as college players would come in ready to contribute and have much more confidence. Stanley Johnson is one of those individuals who would be coming out to the NBA this summer having become an actual go to offensive player and feel that weight on his shoulders with kids his own age cheering for him and adoring him for what he could have brought to his college team. But how can anyone turn down crazy money? The only guy I know was Bill Walton.

What is currently being played in the NBA is not real basketball. The game is officiated much differently. I am amazed with the lack of calls for palming the basketball. There is no way to play effective defense or prevent dribble penetration when that rule is ignored. No guard in college in Walton's era or even in the NBA during that time could get away with that violation at any time. Now we get a circus act where the game lasts too long. But in it's own way, the NBA is entertaining just dummied down now to create more interest from fans who watch on television where it is more difficult to see the infractions made by star players. Walton is not one of my heroes when it comes to basketball but the truth is the truth and Walton was simply amazing relating to his grit and poise and knowledge of the game. It didn't hurt that Bill played guard before his first knee injury around the 8th grade and before. While being forced to stay in bed recovering from that injury he grew about 8 or 9 inches.

Too bad about Reggie's injury last night. I thought for the first time Jackson looked like a real point guard. He was unselfish and really saw the floor well. His timing on offense was outstanding. The new guy who played at the end that was brought up from the G league looked pretty good. Need to get Avery back as soon as possible. Last season the Pistons collapsed around the Christmas holidays. I was impressed with their attitude and effort against Indiana. Good game plan too.
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 7 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next