FORUM

Page 4 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Oracle wrote:Anybody that can't tell the difference from seeing NBA Stars like LeBron, Curry, etc. and watching the Drive aren't buying tickets on a regular basis anyway.

Nobody loses sleep over that!
cool breeze wrote:A close friend of mine called me tonight and wanted to talk about the Michigan-Oregon game. Then he got on a rant about the Pistons. He lives in Grand Rapids and took his family to one Piston game this season. As they drove back home his kids said it is a lot more fun to go to the Drive games. My friend paid big money to take a family of 4 to that game and nobody had a good time. My Friend's kids both are good young athletes who loves sports but are really turned off by the way this Piston team plays the game. One has to wonder how many people feel that same way and never return.

I still have a vision of the last game at the Nets arena where it looked like a sell out. This is the worst team in the NBA but the fans have a good time. They have young spirited players who at least look like they are enjoying what they are doing. I am thinking that Stan Van Gundy is going to try to change this team in a big way before next season. However, it will be very difficult to move the players he needs to move and Stan knows it. After what has happened and looking at the payroll will Tom Gores put him on a short leash or trust Stan one more time?

This is where you go wrong Oracle. Knowledgeable basketball fans, former athletes and even teenagers want to see real basketball not the 2 on 2 - 1 on 1 - or 3 on 2 nonsense that now is the norm in the NBA. People like me love to see five players play like a team. We love to see teams that have great chemistry. We find it really dull watching individuals who are deemed stars and then get to play under the protection of special rules. This is the NBA. And when there are no stars on the NBA team that you follow, it gets even more dull because those teams try to play the same way teams with stars play. You go home knowing that you got robbed if you come to the Palace thinking that you are going to be watching a real basketball game. Teenagers who are currently playing on high school teams know the difference because they are playing the real thing with five players playing together helping each other on defense and sharing the basketball and running actual plays on offense that involve all five players. Most high school kids who make teams know how to play multiple defenses that are used in every game. They play several different presses and all five players know where they need to be in the press. Imagine those kids watching Andre Drummond or Reggie Jackson playing defense at the Palace.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch the Drive play but hope to next year. From what I hear the local fans love watching those players. My friend says the atmosphere is much different from Palace. I attended a lot of games in the past at the Palace and everyone that I knew then tell me now that unless there is a halftime celebration for a retired former Piston star, the experience is pretty darn boring. Maybe you go to the Palace and have a great time and enjoy watching these players. Good for you. But if you live in Michigan you might want to check out the Drive or maybe your local high school team to compare the experience with the Piston experience. If the Spurs players with their coach were playing at the Palace I am sure my friend wouldn't have made those comments about his family outings with the Detroit Pistons this winter.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My Brothers In Arms........

Post  WTF on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm

We need to blow this team to hell after this season is over with.

I know seems a little drastic but must we keep singing this same ole song season after season. Every year with take the littlest or inkling of hope and turn it into something larger than reality. IMO we should have moved all 3 at trade deadline (Reggie, Andre and KCP).

We didn't have to like every deal nothing is ever perfect but I'll be damned if most of the PG offers wouldn't have improved our efforts and got us that 6th seed that looked highly possible 2 weeks ago. Reggie amd Andre just don't cut it to be our suppose leaders. KCP story isn't that he's a bad player, he just never been used properly from the time he was drafted so I hope like hell he run to the Nets if they offer him a Max Deal, I hope SVG has enough sense to trade him if the Nets don't.

If SVG wants to be this one dimensional with this offense then he needs to sell completely out and have shooters at all 5 positions if a jumpshooting team is what he wants. As this roster stands he has no clue how to use it and what players he really need to feature in his offense (KCP and Harris) not Reggie and Andre facepalm

The other option would be to fire himself as coach tb
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Seriously?

Post  Oracle on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:26 am

Anybody that can't tell the difference from seeing NBA Stars like LeBron, Curry, etc. and watching the Drive aren't buying tickets on a regular basis anyway.

Nobody loses sleep over that!
cool breeze wrote:A close friend of mine called me tonight and wanted to talk about the Michigan-Oregon game. Then he got on a rant about the Pistons. He lives in Grand Rapids and took his family to one Piston game this season. As they drove back home his kids said it is a lot more fun to go to the Drive games. My friend paid big money to take a family of 4 to that game and nobody had a good time. My Friend's kids both are good young athletes who loves sports but are really turned off by the way this Piston team plays the game. One has to wonder how many people feel that same way and never return.

I still have a vision of the last game at the Nets arena where it looked like a sell out. This is the worst team in the NBA but the fans have a good time. They have young spirited players who at least look like they are enjoying what they are doing. I am thinking that Stan Van Gundy is going to try to change this team in a big way before next season. However, it will be very difficult to move the players he needs to move and Stan knows it. After what has happened and looking at the payroll will Tom Gores put him on a short leash or trust Stan one more time?
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This is a story that should give Tom Gores a wake up call

Post  cool breeze on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 am

A close friend of mine called me tonight and wanted to talk about the Michigan-Oregon game. Then he got on a rant about the Pistons. He lives in Grand Rapids and took his family to one Piston game this season. As they drove back home his kids said it is a lot more fun to go to the Drive games. My friend paid big money to take a family of 4 to that game and nobody had a good time. My Friend's kids both are good young athletes who loves sports but are really turned off by the way this Piston team plays the game. One has to wonder how many people feel that same way and never return.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:56 am

Phil1980boy wrote:For me this is not A deal breaker. It's time to hit the reset button A little bit.

What we are seeing in this year team is A lack of veteran leadership and bad chemistry among A group of guys who the oldest player is like 27 years of age.

Stan needs to go talk with Pat Riley and Pop about dealing with bad chemistry teams.

Stan will be OK. The Pistons will be OK.

Start with this draft. Go out and find A PG in this draft who has the potential, speed, shooting ability and high character to lead this Pistons team into the future.

A trade for A starting PG is mandatory also. A veteran guy who knows how to lead. Jeff Teague is the first guy who comes to mind. Second is Rondo, if his attitude is right.

This team is talented and can win if the right two or three moves are pulled off.

It appears that the best point guards will be off the boards when Detroit gets to make their pick. I wish the Pistons had a 2nd round pick. There will be some sleepers in the 2nd round. I really can't see much difference between the players listed on most draft boards after the 7th or 8th pick from the players listed in the 2nd round. I like two players who both play for Oregon and one of them is tough as hell and was PAC12 player of the year.

Maybe the chemistry issues are caused because every starter is getting his ass beat on defense a lot. You can switch Leuer and Smith into the starting 5 and the same result happens on the defensive end. I can't see where any of the starters will make a big jump in improvement next season especially in SVG's dysfunctional offensive system. Or am I wrong and there is nothing wrong and the players he picks to get playing time are just a bit below average with none being complete basketball players?

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

In the article "The Reggie Jackson era is over", SVG is exposed

Post  Oracle on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:20 pm

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/3/23/15034484/the-reggie-jackson-era-is-over-stan-van-gundy wrote:One of the biggest reasons it’s harder to score in the postseason is because the opposition finally has time to set up a scheme that is solely focused on the team they’re playing. For two weeks, in a seven-game series, all that matters is stopping one team.

In the regular season, you could be in Utah, Chicago, Cleveland and Milwaukee all in the same week and any defensive schemes would be vanilla at best.

What the Pistons — led by SVG — have done is give teams an upper hand in defending them by adding nothing new to their style or play all year. Teams have used the same defensive foundations throughout the season against the Pistons and can add on each time they play — like in a playoff scenario — because nothing changes.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Blaming the other cylinders...

Post  Oracle on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:04 pm

You have a 6 cylinder engine, 3 of the cylinders aren't firing(Reggie, Drummond & SVG) and you blame the others for poor performance?

Phillip continues to see the light:
1. SVG made a big mistake getting rid of ALL veterans, figuring that these guys had already grown up!
2. Jeff Teague would be a great addition
3. Draft a PG only if a defensive PF or center is not available, Drummond can work with the right help
4. I asked if SVG had lost the team, and the answer is not the team, but he's for sure lost Reggie and there is likely no way back

BallinD wrote:We pretty much see eye-to-eye Cool!  

I'll keep it simple.  Two highest-paid players, our "all star" and our "future hall of famer" are the best sulkers, worst defenders, worst leaders on the team.  (Watch the interviews.  Watch them on the floor.)  KCP needs to be upgraded(Good luck).  Disappears in way, way, way too many big games!!  Third highest payroll = most dis-interested, under-achieving team.

cool breeze wrote:

This is what I hope for moving forward to next season.

1. Let Pope go and congratulate him if he gets a max contract or anywhere near that amount. Sign and Trade - Maybe, it depends on the team, but our loss will be huge

2. Trade Andre Drummond somehow even if management has to kick in money. Draft Day trade Very bad reactionary move if no plan is in place, you guys provide none

3. Trade Jackson or send him to he D- League to learn how to run a half court offense and play better defense. This case is different for health and chemistry reasons

4. Draft a point guard. Yep - Maybe, it totally depends on who's on the board when we pick

5. Trade Stanley Johnson. Keep him and build around his young bull-headed leadership. Yes, as with KCP, for his own good, neither has a bright future in SVG's offense

7. Hire a new President and GM. Then have that new person evaluate Stan Van Gundy as a head coach. The current management situation is not working. Nope. Switch this up, Swap out Coach SVG for an innovative assistant or great, young college coach. - SVG, as Phillip said, will be alright in the long run
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Me Too

Post  BallinD on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm

We pretty much see eye-to-eye Cool!  

I'll keep it simple.  Two highest-paid players, our "all star" and our "future hall of famer" are the best sulkers, worst defenders, worst leaders on the team.  (Watch the interviews.  Watch them on the floor.)  KCP needs to be upgraded.  Disappears in way, way, way too many big games!!  Third highest payroll = most dis-interested, under-achieving team.

cool breeze wrote:

1. Let Pope go and congratulate him if he gets a max contract or anywhere near that amount. Sign and Trade

2. Trade Andre Drummond somehow even if management has to kick in money. Draft Day trade

3. Trade Jackson or send him to he D- League to learn how to run a half court offense and play better defense.

4. Draft a point guard. Yep

5. Trade Stanley Johnson. Keep him and build around his young bull-headed leadership.

7. Hire a new President and GM. Then have that new person evaluate Stan Van Gundy as a head coach. The current management situation is not working. Nope. Switch this up, Swap out Coach SVG for an innovative assistant or great, young college coach.
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2016/17. The year of bad chemistry for the Detroit Pistons lottery team.

Post  Phil1980boy on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:47 pm

For me this is not A deal breaker. It's time to hit the reset button A little bit.

What we are seeing in this year team is A lack of veteran leadership and bad chemistry among A group of guys who the oldest player is like 27 years of age.

Stan needs to go talk with Pat Riley and Pop about dealing with bad chemistry teams.

Stan will be OK. The Pistons will be OK.

Start with this draft. Go out and find A PG in this draft who has the potential, speed, shooting ability and high character to lead this Pistons team into the future.

A trade for A starting PG is mandatory also. A veteran guy who knows how to lead. Jeff Teague is the first guy who comes to mind. Second is Rondo, if his attitude is right.

This team is talented and can win if the right two or three moves are pulled off.
Phil1980boy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oracle on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Now if was these girls, at least it'd be entertaining  lol

BallinD wrote:Now Girls!  Behave yourselves...It's not that seriouis!?!?!??

lol lol lol
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

"Prepare To Be Uninspired"

Post  cool breeze on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 pm

The article " In loss To The Bulls, Pistons Show Little Effort" is a hoot. This article provides two game situations where Stan's official half court offense is featured with Reggie Jackson. I liked the film on KCP's closeout with the comments "rec. ball quality". In that play you can see Harris and Drummond on opposite ends of the low post outside the 3 second lines just standing and watching while Pope's man goes by Pope for an easy layup. The caption is "no help side defense". How many times have we watched Drummond provide no help side defense while instead just standing and watching like a fan?

1. Let Pope go and congratulate him if he gets a max contract or anywhere near that amount.

2. Trade Andre Drummond somehow even if management has to kick in money.

3. Trade Jackson or send him to he D- League to learn how to run a half court offense and play better defense.

4. Draft a point guard.

5. Trade Stanley Johnson. Believe it or not, there are several other NBA teams that would like to have Stanley Johnson on their team and know how to use him properly. Being he is one of the few players any team is interested in, why not get something for him before his contract expires? He doesn't fit SVG's offensive system which can be viewed above on two game situations with Reggie Jackson. Comments made by Isiah Thomas while sitting with our Piston announcers at a Piston game still holds some juice for me. As Johnson approached the scorers table to check in Zeke said, "The Pistons need more players like him". We know the opinion that Van Gundy has relating to Johnson which is the complete opposite of Zeke's. If Van Gundy is not fired then please trade Johnson so he is not under the spell of Drummond and Jackson which are SVG's team leaders. If you want to play the right way then don't get stuck with playing basketball with SVG's Piston leaders. It could end your career.

6. Re evaluate the assistant coaching core and bring in some new younger coaches. I have heard rumors that some of the assistant coaches are pure poison for this team. Are the coaches building team chemistry or destroying everything they touch? Is this pure nonsense and a false rumor? Can these coaches actually help make players better?

7. Hire a new President and GM. Then have that new person evaluate Stan Van Gundy as a head coach. The current management situation is not working.

8. I know the deal is done but I hate the fact that no more Piston games will be played at the Palace. This was the place where the championships were won. Then again, I hated it when the Lions moved to the Silver-Dome. As a kid going to Briggs Stadium going to one game in my life with the snow flying I thought anything was possible. Championships were won in that stadium and none since our Lions moved. The stadiums were more fan friendly but the players became a lot softer. Will our Pistons suck even more playing downtown where the post game distractions will be even more on display to get the young players off track?

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pistons Fighting For Their Playoff Lives

Post  BallinD on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Now Girls!  Behave yourselves...It's not that seriouis!?!?!??

lol lol lol
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The good news?: 2.2%

Post  Sparma on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 pm

That's our present likelihood of landing in the top 3 in the draft.

Don't usually listen to Adam Schein on Sirius, but this morning heard him include the Pistons in his top stories ("What the h... happened to the Pistons?").  We're a national story!  Not quite in the way we'd hoped though.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pistons imitation of drill cones on defense

Post  cool breeze on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:12 am

The Detroit News provided the most accurate description of Detroit's defense during that big run by Chicago that blew the game open. The starting unit regardless of the choice of starting point guard plays dummy defense in real games. Watching Andre Drummond run back on defense reminded me of Charlie V. Not a care in the world wondering when the game will be over so he can take his shower and get on the plane back home. Sliding back and forth in the paint failing to understand what Chicago was trying to do and then doing something to to stop the Bulls game plan. There is a clear disconnect now between individual players who are trusted by Stan Van Gundy. I just watched SVG's post game interview where he confesses that it is his fault and this is the worst period his team has been through in 3 years. Stan says he is the guy who picks the lineups etc and takes full responsibility. I agree that this game against the Bulls where both teams were playing back to back games has to be the worst performance that I have seen in a long time by the entire team. The offensive system has failed. Players do not work hard enough within the half court offense to get open shots so they settle for contested shots. And now even the wide open shots are not falling. But is that because of the failure of the system employed by the coach? The offense is dependent on players making difficult shots. Players are easy to defend. Players don't help each other get open. Players are forced to attempt difficult passes and make difficult shots. The stress of playing under this system has become too stressful. The players are not having fun. They are feeling stress to the point that the whole thing has collapsed. This game has to be the point where our Pistons have reached the bottom. They can't get any worse. The game is no longer fun. I saw no emotional reaction while that big run was taking place by the Bulls. No adjustments were made in the defense. The coach watched and did not make changes. The players continued to move on defense like they were moving to drill cones as described in the Detroit News. This game was a walk through by our players. They were sleep walking. Nobody played as if they liked each other or wanted to help each other.

Listening to Stan Van Gundy's interview it is clear that he has no answers. All he can say is that the Pistons play was "mind-boggling". He has made up his mind that his system is sound and his player combinations are sound. So it is just "mind-boggling" as to why things are not working. To me it is not mind-boggling at all. Some of us have seen this coming now for a long time. SVG's system is flawed. His players have too many flaws to run his system on offense even though his system is the least complex of any system that I have ever witnessed. Players are easy to defend in this system. That is the offense and when thinking of defense, it is easy to understand why this team can't get stops when they need to. When a team gets on run there is not stopping them. In crunch time, Stan's players cannot get the necessary stops to win. The key players are not fundamentally sound players to begin with. The center piece andre Drummond switches because it is easy to switch. He does the easiest thing or he just is incapable of concentrating or remembering what the coaches tell him to do in specific situations. There is no paint policeman when Andre is no the floor. How much time do we have to describe our $20 million dollar man? Meanwhile, Reggie Jackson is the worst guard defender in the NBA currently in a rotation. With those two players on the floor this team has no chance of success. We all know that now but it seems that the coach is still frustrated and trying to figure out what is wrong. Watching part of the Atlanta-Washington game last night I saw two different worlds of basketball. Chicago had a hot shooting night against no defense. It was a dull basketball game much like many dull games I have watch this season involving the Detroit Pistons

Good luck filling the arena in downtown Detroit next year.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

KaySlay & Don

Post  Oracle on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 am

@Don - Seeing Beno play was the worst news out of this game I could imagine! If he's in the game, it's for sure the game is a disaster. Beno's not, but in SVG's system, if Beno's playing, SVG has basically given up!

@KaySlay - You nailed it, but I have a deeper question,

KaySlay wrote:SVG uses the words "Mindboggling". Says with 10 games left "If we don't change its gonna get ugly"

He has no clue...  

Watching this game I saw a team that has given up. Even the usually animated, lively, pacing the sidelines coach, was subdued tonight.
My question is, has SVG lost this team?

Right now we're in freefall, and the dumpster fire is the last stop!

I want to say Reggie Jackson has finally ruined this team, but he's getting a lot of help from Drummond, who falls in love with every PG that will toss him the ball regularly!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rock bottom indeed

Post  KaySlay on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:06 am

SVG uses the words "Mindboggling". Says with 10 games left "If we don't change its gonna get ugly"

He has no clue... facepalm

Watching this game I saw a team that has given up. Even the usually animated, lively, pacing the sidelines coach, was subdued tonight.

Cool Breeze wrote:Andre had another fantastic game as our MVP. His effort was amazing running the court from baseline to baseline having zero effect at all. Who cares he can count his money when he gets home and forget all about this last game. His free throw shooting seems to be getting worse. Maybe as time moves forward, we fans will feel excited if he can touch the rim with the basketball at least one time in 6 attempts.

lol! Funny stuff here....

The body language from our young star, longest tenured Piston, highest paid player was enigmatic. Going from so much promise as a 19 and 20 year old to what he is today is unsettling. At what point does one show respect for the game? Pride in representing their team and city? Regard for their teammates? Andre showed nothing positive tonight.

Hasan Whiteside is making Andre look like an out of shape, low BB IQ, unmotivated clown.

I was adamant about turning off the game until I saw SVG sub in Boban. Outside starting Ish and SJ playing hard this was the only other thing to be excited about. He come in and goes a perfect 3/3 and nets 7 points in 8 minutes. Completely justifying his lack of playing time.  facepalm

Our 2016-2017 Detroit Pistons
KaySlay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bright spot in Chicago game - Beno got in for the last two minutes

Post  cool breeze on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 am

Chicago manages to score 117 points while coasting to a blowout win against our team with two of their big men out.

Andre had another fantastic game as our MVP. His effort was amazing running the court from baseline to baseline having zero effect at all. Who cares he can count his money when he gets home and forget all about this last game. His free throw shooting seems to be getting worse. Maybe as time moves forward, we fans will feel excited if he can touch the rim with the basketball at least one time in 6 attempts. Drummond looks really tired and depressed.

Ish Smith started the game and played really hard but eventually got himself in foul trouble. Smith gets the award for guts and effort but few of his teammates joined him in that category.

All of the starters with the exception of Smith were downright horrible all night long. Van Gundy stayed true to his form never giving up on them. Pope better hope that the Nets management didn't watch him play in this game against Chicago. He was beaten in every way all night long and provided no offense when the team needed a MVP. Again this was another blow out loss that wasn't close for almost the entire game. No starter looked like a starter for the Pistons. The coach clearly saw the basic lack of effort to defend by those starters but never flinched.

Johnson finally got into the game but Bullock was ahead of him and I thought he would be riding the pine again. Johnson was praised by our announcers after he hit some shots with them saying he was the best Piston on the floor. Then Johnson drove on the baseline and made a bad pass causing a turnover and the coach took him out while providing a lecture as Stanley was trying to sit down in his usual spot. This was the most drama that I saw in this game.

In the last two or three minutes I thought the group Van Gundy had on the floor looked like a real team. Boban - Hilliard, Beno, Johnson and Leuer played well together moving the basketball from side to side with everyone getting involved in the offense. It was too late of course but still was fun to watch. Maybe now that the Pistons are working their way out of the playoffs we will finally see Ellenson in a game.

If I were SVG I would bench Andre Drummond and give him some tough love like he does with Johnson. Start Boban who is difficult match up for any team. His defense is better than Drummond and it is fun to watch him just stand and shoot a set shot two feet from the basket.

Jackson might have reached the end in this game at least for this season. He is such a liability on defense I can't believe he gets any playing time at all.

Something needs to be done to shake things up and make basketball fun again for the Detroit Pistons. The starters are suffering from burn out. The Pistons have now reached the bottom. They can't go any lower. Maybe now the team will get on a better path with the remaining games. What will Stan do now??? Does anyone care?

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I don't see how the Pistons can match a max deal for KCP

Post  Oracle on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:14 pm

It appears that Dinwiddie is going to be the bridge player they use to talk to KCP, and KCP displays well from an analytics and energy eye test. But, IMO, it's the team that allows him to use his speed that will reap the biggest reward from having KCP. He could be RIP, but with the ability to turn the corner and blow to the hole at high speeds, which RIP couldn't do.
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/3/22/15025068/brooklyn-nets-kentavious-caldwell-pope-max-contract-nba-free-agency-2017-stan-van-gundy wrote:
The Nets had glowing reviews of KCP.
“You can make the argument that he’s their most important player now. So I think that just shows you the impact that he’s had. He’s gone from defender to arguably their MVP,” said Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie, who was drafted by Detroit in 2014 and spent his first two seasons playing alongside Caldwell-Pope.
“I’m impressed,’’ Nets coach Kenny Atkinson said when asked about Caldwell-Pope. “I love how he competes, how he competes on the defensive end. That’s really the essence of what I see when I watch him play. He plays with force, he competes on the defensive end. On a given night he can get 35 on you easily. His speed off the ball, coming off those [dribble handoffs], flying off and somehow [you’re] going to have to find a way to stay attached, stay close to him.”

Caldwell-Pope has improved each of his four years in the league. This year, he’s shooting a career-high percentage from three-point range and has shown a wider range of ballhandling ability. Bradley Beal is the only guard in the league with a higher win share total this season at the age of 23 or younger to start the season.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don

Post  Oracle on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:57 pm

SVG's issue is that he isn't consistent in the way he treats the same behavior across the board.

It's not fair to punish Stanley but not punish Reggie & Drummond for the same offense. 

But I do agree with the punishment of Stanley, he doesn't deserve PT when his play is bad, plus he's a bit of a head case(both ignorant & arrogant) and SVG is getting sick of it.

The shocking thing is that you are calling out SVG for something you do on a regular basis, which I thought was rich... pot calling the....
cool breeze wrote:Why is it that Johnson and our other number one draft pick last season are the only players who suffer the wrath of Stan Van Gundy's watchful eyes? The article explains why Johnson is now permanently on the bench again. I was wondering last night what kind of injury Johnson had suffered. But no he did not play because according to Van Gundy, Johnson gave up a 3 point shot and was not effective on defense for the short minutes he received two games ago. I didn't see him play in the game before last. If he played it couldn't have been for more than a few minutes. But somehow SVG singled out Johnson as a defensive liability. Maybe Johnson is tired of never touching the basketball on offense and does not really feel like he is an important player on this dysfunctional team. Even though Jackson is now labeled as the worst defensive player among all NBA guards this season, everything is Johnson's fault so he must be singled out so he can lose even more confidence with his fit with the Detroit Pistons. This is what Van Gundy did with Spencer Dinwiddie so do to expect to see Johnson in a Piston uniform next year if Van Gundy is not fired.

This coach is a joke. He is the guy who bitches to the players siting on the bench when his stars make mistakes. He transfers the punishment and Beno has suffered the most punishment of all. How can he take watching Jackson and Smith night after night and then listen to Van Gundy bitch him out., It is Beno's fault. It is Bullock's fault. It is Hilliard's fault. Now it is Johnson's fault. This man is a jerk. He needs to go. His stars need to go too. Meanwhile, Spencer Dinwiddie is smiling knowing that he doesn't have to live his life under SVG's rule.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The world according to Stan Van Gundy when it comes to dishing out punishment

Post  cool breeze on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Why is it that Johnson and our other number one draft pick last season are the only players who suffer the wrath of Stan Van Gundy's watchful eyes? The article explains why Johnson is now permanently on the bench again. I was wondering last night what kind of injury Johnson had suffered. But no he did not play because according to Van Gundy, Johnson gave up a 3 point shot and was not effective on defense for the short minutes he received two games ago. I didn't see him play in the game before last. If he played it couldn't have been for more than a few minutes. But somehow SVG singled out Johnson as a defensive liability. Maybe Johnson is tired of never touching the basketball on offense and does not really feel like he is an important player on this dysfunctional team. Even though Jackson is now labeled as the worst defensive player among all NBA guards this season, everything is Johnson's fault so he must be singled out so he can lose even more confidence with his fit with the Detroit Pistons. This is what Van Gundy did with Spencer Dinwiddie so do to expect to see Johnson in a Piston uniform next year if Van Gundy is not fired.

This coach is a joke. He is the guy who bitches to the players siting on the bench when his stars make mistakes. He transfers the punishment and Beno has suffered the most punishment of all. How can he take watching Jackson and Smith night after night and then listen to Van Gundy bitch him out., It is Beno's fault. It is Bullock's fault. It is Hilliard's fault. Now it is Johnson's fault. This man is a jerk. He needs to go. His stars need to go too. Meanwhile, Spencer Dinwiddie is smiling knowing that he doesn't have to live his life under SVG's rule.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Oracle wrote:Yes it would be a small step back, but it's exactly the type of team he needs to be on, one that will feature him as a scorer which would allow him to add additional dollars to his coffers in the media rich New York market.

IMO, it's an opportunity too sweet to turn down even if they don't give him the max. I'd do anything to get away from Reggie & Drummond if I was him, unless SVG could do something to make this better, but I don't see how.

Report: Nets expected to make Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 'top priority' in free agency: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nets-expected-to-make-kentavious-caldwell-pope-top-priority-in-free-agency/

Speaking of contracts do you know the terms of Stan Van Gundy's contract? I would be very surprised if he is not fired before draft night from all of the current positions he currently holds. That is what I would do. Hiring Stan Van Gundy might go down as the worst decision Tom Gores has made so far as the Piston's owner. Stan will need to come up with something big relating to a trade. Will Detroit attempt a sign and trade deal with the Nets? I would love to watch Levert but Stan would most likely hurt his development too.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

KCP should take the Nets offer...

Post  Oracle on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Yes it would be a small step back, but it's exactly the type of team he needs to be on, one that will feature him as a scorer which would allow him to add additional dollars to his coffers in the media rich New York market.

IMO, it's an opportunity too sweet to turn down even if they don't give him the max. I'd do anything to get away from Reggie & Drummond if I was him, unless SVG could do something to make this better, but I don't see how.

Report: Nets expected to make Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 'top priority' in free agency: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nets-expected-to-make-kentavious-caldwell-pope-top-priority-in-free-agency/
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about the positives of watching the game last night

Post  cool breeze on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 am

I loved my experience of watching that young group of players working their butts off for the Nets. The fans there have a lot to be pleased about. Did you notice the turnout for that game? The arena was full and that team has been losing big all year long. The fans got their money worth last night too. You see it is actually fun to watch the young players fighting for their lives. They play the right way and go all out.

Spencer Dinwiddie the six foot six point guard who has the high basketball IQ and is fundamentally sound played his usual great defense and shared the basketball. He is getting his shot now and is finally completely healthy. Who would you prefer to have running the Piston team now? I would pick Dinwiddie over Jackson or Smith but some of you would prefer Smith. Some fans also enjoy the way this Piston team plays the game. They enjoy the fast tempo and shooting the rock quickly without messing around with a half court offense. Stan Van Gundy prefers that style as well as we now now. Basketball for dummies is what many basketball people call Van Gundy's style.

How about Levert? That guy has also recovered from a serious injury and is showing his elite quickness. I would love to watch him in a Piston uniform.

Hollis Jefferson is another player that I really like because he always gives 100% of himself in every game. That is what he did in college with a limited offensive skill set and he has found a home with the Nets and is a favorite among the Nets fans. You see fans do love players who play the game the right way. Somehow Tom Gores and Stan Van Gundy has not calculated that into their decision making. They think fans just like to see shooters do their thing. They want to provide that type of entertainment and underestimate the Piston fans knowledge of the real game of basketball. Nobody could like watching this Piston team play the game this season. But Piston fans would enjoy things more if the team had a different coach and more players who play like those young Nets players. And fans could look forward to securing a top talent in the draft. Now all of that hope is gone. There is only gloom left. It matters not if this Piston team makes the playoffs. Fans want real basketball played by real players with real coaching. This man Stan Van Gundy is not coaching. He is a horrible GM who has ruined this team for years to come and is just playing those players he made the mistake of signing regardless of what happens on the hardwood.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 am

Oracle wrote:Under normal circumstances, you tip your hat to a team that beats you like this... these are not normal times, we needed that win.

I also don't like to go after the players who didn't step up in a big game, for most players, it only matters that a few of them did.

You don't apply that rule to your top players, they're supposed to step most of the time when you really need it!

Reggie Jackson: I'm getting sick of singing this song! The dude just is not playing like a prime time player this year!

Andre Drummond: You can't have your big man both fail to outscore his counterpart AND fail to defend him by such large margins. Don, this is NOT a players league, it's a coaches league, you're confused on this like other things.

You confuse the fact that if a coach fails to control the players then he's ceded his power to them, is NASCAR a cars league or does it matter most who's driving, but why am I bothering to tell you this, back to the game.

SVG blows these games because he either hasn't figured out that Drummond does very poorly against centers 2-4 inches taller than he is, or he's afraid to cut Drummonds minutes, either way, it's a mess. This was yet another game where Boban should get more minutes than Drummond.

Anybody watching should easily see that our biggest problem is which players this coach deploys to solve the problems. He isn't solving problems, he's managing personality conflicts... Larry Brown or Pop wouldn't do this and I thought SVG would be, should be in a position(read strong enough) to make tough calls and make them stand... I was wrong!

Basketball is basketball and NASCAR IS NASCAR. Correct me if I am wrong but I keep saying that the players that SVG keeps deploying are not good enough to beat many other NBA players. I agree with you that the combinations used by this coach will not work. But it much bigger than that. I keep saying to myself, what would I do if faced with the prospect of matching up the players on this Piston roster with players from the other NBA teams the Pistons compete against. Then I think what would I do if I were coaching against the Pistons. It seems that opposing coaches would use the same tactics that I would use. What is happening now is exactly the opposite of what I thought would happen if the owner gave complete authority to one man. I thought that if Tom Gores hired a smart basketball person to do both jobs of working the GM side and also being the head coach, players would have to listen to the coach and not just do their own thing which had been going on before SVG arrived. We previously experienced massive coaching changes where the slightest disagreement with the big contract players would get you fired by Joe Dumras. Now we have a different situation where the head coach is playing the role of the GM while coaching. He won't admit that he has made huge mistakes with his administration of duties as a GM/President.

I have identified what other opposing coaches have identified relating to the basic weaknesses of the players who are under contract as the 3rd highest paid team in the NBA. None of the deemed top 7 players that SVG counts on can play defense well. Most are below average.

GUARDS:

Pope - KCP keeps his body too high and gambles a lot during the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and part of the 4th quarters of most games. He gets his body lower with a better base during crunch time. Opposing coaches will encourage their starting guards to penetrate against Pope or run the pick and roll play a lot. John Wall loves playing against Pope. Beal also enjoys playing against Pope. Should I expand to other opposing guards and how they consistently beat Pope on defense? And Pope is the best defender among the guards who are trusted by SVG.

Jackson - worst defender among all NBA guards in current rotations. He flat out gives the lowest amount of effort of all guards in the league. He has the capability of being a solid defender but has never committed himself at all in that area.

Smith - Ish plays really hard on defense but just can't match up against any superior to good team in the league because of his size and the way he uses his energy on offense.

In my opinion Johnson, Bullock and Hilliard are the best defenders among the guards but they are not trusted players by the current head coach Stan Van Gundy. This is where we agree that this coach has his head twisted in the wrong direction relating to his use of player combinations. He places very little value on a players defensive ability or how chemistry plays a role with success on the court. He plays shoot first gunners regardless of the the defensive liability they cause the team. When these three players do get playing time, they all know in their hearts that they are not players that fit SVG's preferred style of mindless AAU style of play. They all sense that he doesn't trust them at all and will never change his mind about them. This causes those players to lose their confidence and look for ways to move to another team to get into a system that will work for them. This is what happened to Spencer Dinwiddie and will happen to the three players listed above as long as SVG runs this program.

POWER FORWARDS:

Leuer - Is he a starting power forward on any team in the NBA? SVG thought he was for a long time. He is still very high on Van Gundy's list of preferred players. He is not strong enough to play defense against any starting power forward in the league. His skill set is not developed to the point yet that he should be considered anything but a fringe player in the NBA. He has a big contract so the Two Headed Transplant Stan Van Gundy must play him because he signed him as President and the guy in control of everything. The coach SVG can't make the GM Pres. look bad.

Harris - Harris has some advantages on the offensive end when he is penetrating against other power forwards but he cannot guard other NBA starting power forwards who have an offensive skill set. He cannot hold his own on the defensive boards either. Harris has potential but in my opinion should be the starting small forward.

Morris - Marcus is another potential option at power forward but has the same issues on the defensive end that Harris and Leuer have. He is just not big enough to play that position against solid teams.

Baynes - Oh I forgot that this is not an option for the head coach. Baynes is the guy who should be starting at power forward. But Baynes is not a gunner type of player who just lets loose the long ball regardless of the situation. Again, defense is not something that SVG thinks is important although he says he is a defensive minded coach. Could the team chemistry improve if Baynes started? How would Baynes react if his number were called? I think he would play his ass off. But SVG doesn't trust Boban as the back up center so that idea is out.

Ellenson - Can't bring that idea up because SVG runs things and he doesn't trust our number one pick to play even one minute. Yes our coach believes every minute is important although his selected players look as if they are sleeping at times.

Did I miss anyone. We can't mention our number one draft pick last season. According to the coach, Ellenson is not ready. What a joke that is. Are any of the other listed power forwards ready? This is another failure of the GM/President Stan Van Gundy. He has failed to acquire an adequate power forward who can defend.

SMALL FORWARDS:

Morris - For the amount of money this man makes he is pure gold for the Pistons. Is he an elite player among the small forwards. No we can't call him an elite player. He should be coming off the bench if Detroit had a supreme small forward. But he has been a very valuable player this season and last season.

Harris - This position is his natural position but he seldom gets to play small forward. Perhaps he is a good enough defender to start at this position.

Johnson - No reason to mention this player anymore. Either he is in the dog house again, has asked to be traded, or is suffering from an injury. I still think he could help the team most if he played point guard but SVG loves a player who receives the basketball after a made opposing shot and then dribbles around until the point guard gets his shot. I loved watching Spencer Dinwiddie do the opposite of that last night. He seldom kept the ball early on in his team's offensive possessions. He made a quick pass and then moved without the basketball to get a flow going with the offense. Who would you like to play with if you had the chance? Would it be Spencer or Ish or Reggie? Does Stan Van Gundy care at all about creating a good team chemistry? Do either of the Piston point guards give a crap about chemistry? Players are out on the court and want to touch the basketball at least a few times if they get playing time. My bet is that Johnson was wishing that he could have been playing for the Nets last night. That looked like a lot of fun to be on their team. Johnson is suffering playing in this insane system. Let him go Mr. Gores or fire your Two Headed Transplant guy in charge.

CENTERS: Andre Drummond our franchise player has been playing really hard lately. He wants to do well. That is obvious. He is tired of being picked on by fans, opponent centers, and coaches from opposing teams. Who wants to be intentionally fouled in big games and then miss at the free throw line? All the money in the world cannot make up for the embarrassment this man must feel when he gets outwitted while playing defense. He just cannot give this team what they need. The team needs a big guy who can police the paint on defense. He has never been that guy so what can he do now in this moment to help his team win? I think that if he really cares, this coming summer will have to be dedicated to learning the fundamentals of the game and practicing those basic things all centers must do well to be successful at any level. Will he do it or will he work on his hook shot? Will the coach tell him to forget about defense and work more on the hook? Who in hell what Stan Van Gundy is thinking? If I were him, i would be concerned that I might be fired this summer. But the owner might be thinking more about the Lakers than the Pistons. Nothing makes sense relating to this management. Going downtown seems to be the answer for these people.

If I were the head coach of the Pistons now, I do not know what I would do to improve anything. The players are not good enough in my view to compete with real NBA teams that have a chance to win in the playoffs. There are too many weak defenders at their position on the team. There seems to be an ugly chemistry problem among the players. I say good luck to the coach who could make this thing work but I do not enjoy watching many of our players individually. IF a coach can come in and change the system and play an actual 5 man game while somehow turning current players into better defenders, then there might be hope. But my gut after watching this group all year long tells me the players that are currently trusted by Stan Van Gundy are not trustworthy. Oracle good for you for believing that miracles can happen.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Players Loss... at least it was 2 of them.

Post  Oracle on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 am

Under normal circumstances, you tip your hat to a team that beats you like this... these are not normal times, we needed that win.

I also don't like to go after the players who didn't step up in a big game, for most players, it only matters that a few of them did.

You don't apply that rule to your top players, they're supposed to step most of the time when you really need it!

Reggie Jackson: I'm getting sick of singing this song! The dude just is not playing like a prime time player this year!

Andre Drummond: You can't have your big man both fail to outscore his counterpart AND fail to defend him by such large margins. Don, this is NOT a players league, it's a coaches league, you're confused on this like other things.

You confuse the fact that if a coach fails to control the players then he's ceded his power to them, is NASCAR a cars league or does it matter most who's driving, but why am I bothering to tell you this, back to the game.

SVG blows these games because he either hasn't figured out that Drummond does very poorly against centers 2-4 inches taller than he is, or he's afraid to cut Drummonds minutes, either way, it's a mess. This was yet another game where Boban should get more minutes than Drummond.

Anybody watching should easily see that our biggest problem is which players this coach deploys to solve the problems. He isn't solving problems, he's managing personality conflicts... Larry Brown or Pop wouldn't do this and I thought SVG would be, should be in a position(read strong enough) to make tough calls and make them stand... I was wrong!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum