Back to top Go down

Stanley Johnson Top 10 Plays of Rookie Season

Post  Oracle on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Morris makes a great change in his life since becoming a Piston

Post  cool breeze on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Wow who is this man Marcus Morris? Since he arrived and became attached with the Piston organization who could ask for a better guy on and off the court? Stan Van Gundy has done so many great things since arriving to run the Piston organization and picking out Morris has been one of his best decisions. He is a great teammate! One of his comments after the season ended still stays with me. He stated that he needed to get stronger and become a better all around player including on the defensive end in this off season. Morris has been doing just that. This guy is working his butt off and doing all the right things. Not only that, but Marcus is a guy who will talk to the news reporters. And he is now helping the young guys at who are playing in the summer league. Phoenix management must be kicking themselves now. Morris appears to be a perfect fit to become one of the strong leaders this team needs moving forward to next season.

We know what Morris and Johnson are doing this summer and Drummond appears to be gearing up to become a better player, but what about the rest of the crew? What is Reggie Jackson doing to improve his attitude towards playing defense? I know he stated that he would be reviewing a lot of film so as to try to improve his decision making on the offensive end. But has he reflected at all on what a liability he was on defense last year? One thing should be said about that topic on his behalf. Reggie had to expend so much energy on the offensive end at the end of games that he needed to pace himself throughout the game so he would have that burst when the games were on the line. And he came through so many times last season. For sure, the Pistons would have not had a chance in hell to make the playoffs if Reggie had not gone almost to black out in those crunch time moments. Meanwhile opposing teams took advantage of him when he played defense. So what is the answer moving forward next season? Who will step up in crunch time a bit to carry the load for the Pistons so Reggie can become a more steady force on both ends throughout the game? What can the coaches do? How many quality minutes can the other point guards play next season so as to reduce Reggie's minutes? Will the coaching staff use the point forward option some to take the pressure off Reggie?

Hilliard is now down with a back injury. That sucks big time for this guy who is such a hard worker and shows so much promise. What are KCP and Bullock doing over the summer to get better? I look for Bullock to have a break out year. This guy can ball. He has such a sweet looking jump shot I can't imagine that he won't steal a lot of minutes from Pope. If Pope is smart, he better be working hard on his mid range game. Pope showed his ability to pull up and hit a lot of shots from 10 feet in last year. Next season, he needs to be more of a Richard Hamilton type guy always on the move and being able to read the defense better and use screens better. The guys playing the 2 guard need to come in hungry and demand the ball more from Reggie. And I noticed that Stanley Johnson has been working on his ability to create his own shot from the 8 to 10 feet range in this first summer league game. It will be interesting as to who will get the minutes.

I can't end this without mentioning Harris and wondering where he is working out this summer and what he is working on to improve his game. I would think it would be ball handling in the event SVG does go to the point forward option. Harris and Johnson are capable of running an offense. Both players need to spend a lot of time preparing for this opportunity for them.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:03 am

Oracle wrote:Don is totally off the SVG bandwagon, he thinks the management is failing and don't know what they're doing.

Sparma basically thinks we're treading water, getting better, but not good enough to really challenge anybody, more of a pragmatic view of the situation.

Ballin sees what SVG and I see, and you have to use your good eye to see it( lol ), but it's clearly there!

It's easy to see the talent that's already blossomed and make projections, but that talent developed somewhere, so why can't Piston fans see that happening right under their noses?

1. We have a starting 5 that hasn't reached anywhere near what they're capable of individually
2. We have a starting 5 that isn't close to knowing and using the chemistry that magnifies their individual talents
3. We have a budding star in Stanley Johnson who has yet to scratch the surface of his talent, in fact his mouth is WAY out ahead of his game.
4. We have a coach who has yet to figure out how to best use the players on his team... they're all learning.

There are so many wild cards here it boggles the mind and nobody sees that this team WILL make the playoffs, even if it's 8th seed again.

Starting Wild Cards:
1. Andre Drummond: If he comes anywhere near close to figuring out his game on defense and offense, bar the door, we're off the chart.
2. KCP: If KCP gets his 3 game going, you can count on one hand the better SG's in the league
3. Harris: This dude has all star written all over him, another year in the offense and knowing his mates will change a lot of things
4. Morris: He got a taste of what he could do as a starter, now he's ready to move.
5. Jackson: Catches a lot of flack for doing what a good player does... give his team what they need! If you give him more shooters, his assists will sky rocket, but I still want him taking over when we need it. SVG got him the one thing he really needed, a damn guard good enough to give him the rest he needs to take over in the 4th!

Ballin correctly stated that we WILL get improvement in all of these players as well as SVG, it's a geometric boost, not an arithmetic one.

Bench Wild Cards:
1. Stanley Johnson - I expect to see him shooting from the hip, not the lip this season. he won't lose any edge, but he will play it cool.
2. Ish Smith - IMO, he's going to be a real game changer for that 2nd unit! Impossible to keep out of the paint and a willing passer, he makes Steve Blake look like a chair out there.
3. Leuer - I love his size and shooting for the 2nd unit. Allows Baynes to not have to be mobile and stay home on defense.

Honorable Mention:
Bullock: Likely the same, but his defense is a difference maker.
Hilliard: Unknown, could surprise and has a bigger upside than Bullock.

I basically expect ZERO out of the rookies, something major would have to happen for them to crack the rotation

I am not down on SVG and his management team Oracle. But I am surprised that we didn't get a proven back up point guard but most fans and current Piston players seem excited. Perhaps SVG did as good as his staff could possibly do at this time. I still have this feeling that there will be more to come but maybe not. To bad Horford is not going to the Western conference.

I still am not sold on KCP getting a lot better this season but hope he can. Somehow I have this gut feeling that Bullock will have a better year than Pope. He can shoot the ball and I heard that he is primed for the fight for playing time. Hilliard and Bullock need to come through in a big way with deadly shooting and tough defense. If anyone hasn't read Stanley Johnson's own assessment of himself you will be pleasantly surprised with his character if you do take the time.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pistons

Post  Sparma on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:59 pm

I think we've improved tremendously in the past two years. Great job by SVG & Co.

I think we can challenge anyone in the East, except Cleveland in all likelihood. Even then, fluky things can happen, like Djokovic losing early on at Wimbledon, so that Federer might be able to win one more major after all. I wasn't even sure Coastal Carolina played Division I, but they won the NCAA baseball championship. If Leicester City can win the Premier League at 5000-1 odds anything can happen.

But all the things that could happen don't establish the Pistons as consistent championship contenders over a period of time, stretches we've seen twice in their history. That's what seems like a great long shot from my current vantage point.

If I needed to try to pin things down beyond that, I'd predict that we'll win between 38 and 50 games for a stretch. But topping out with a Toronto season or an Atlanta season the year before seems within reach, as does bottoming out like the Wizards this past season after a strong season before that.

There's a lot to like about the team, but also plenty of cause for reservations.

Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How will we fare with the roster we have now?

Post  Oracle on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Don is totally off the SVG bandwagon, he thinks the management is failing and don't know what they're doing.

Sparma basically thinks we're treading water, getting better, but not good enough to really challenge anybody, more of a pragmatic view of the situation.

Ballin sees what SVG and I see, and you have to use your good eye to see it( lol ), but it's clearly there!

It's easy to see the talent that's already blossomed and make projections, but that talent developed somewhere, so why can't Piston fans see that happening right under their noses?

1. We have a starting 5 that hasn't reached anywhere near what they're capable of individually
2. We have a starting 5 that isn't close to knowing and using the chemistry that magnifies their individual talents
3. We have a budding star in Stanley Johnson who has yet to scratch the surface of his talent, in fact his mouth is WAY out ahead of his game.
4. We have a coach who has yet to figure out how to best use the players on his team... they're all learning.

There are so many wild cards here it boggles the mind and nobody sees that this team WILL make the playoffs, even if it's 8th seed again.

Starting Wild Cards:
1. Andre Drummond: If he comes anywhere near close to figuring out his game on defense and offense, bar the door, we're off the chart.
2. KCP: If KCP gets his 3 game going, you can count on one hand the better SG's in the league
3. Harris: This dude has all star written all over him, another year in the offense and knowing his mates will change a lot of things
4. Morris: He got a taste of what he could do as a starter, now he's ready to move.
5. Jackson: Catches a lot of flack for doing what a good player does... give his team what they need! If you give him more shooters, his assists will sky rocket, but I still want him taking over when we need it. SVG got him the one thing he really needed, a damn guard good enough to give him the rest he needs to take over in the 4th!

Ballin correctly stated that we WILL get improvement in all of these players as well as SVG, it's a geometric boost, not an arithmetic one.

Bench Wild Cards:
1. Stanley Johnson - I expect to see him shooting from the hip, not the lip this season. he won't lose any edge, but he will play it cool.
2. Ish Smith - IMO, he's going to be a real game changer for that 2nd unit! Impossible to keep out of the paint and a willing passer, he makes Steve Blake look like a chair out there.
3. Leuer - I love his size and shooting for the 2nd unit. Allows Baynes to not have to be mobile and stay home on defense.

Honorable Mention:
Bullock: Likely the same, but his defense is a difference maker.
Hilliard: Unknown, could surprise and has a bigger upside than Bullock.

I basically expect ZERO out of the rookies, something major would have to happen for them to crack the rotation
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'm flabbergasted, and as I've said, I don't flabber easily...

Post  Oracle on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Lakers give Timofey Mosgov $64M for 4 years, and even after watching him NOT play in the finals for any meaningful minutes? WTF?

Blazers drop $70M on Evan Turner? Look, he's gotten pretty good, but that smells a bit of an overpay. He is better than Mosgov, IMO!

The Jazz pick up the near corpse known as Joe Johnson for 11M per, which isn't bad, but I don't know how much he has left in the tank.

DHo goes to Atlanta? Well, they've officially entered the hack a(fill in the name) sweepstakes and the local MASH unit as well. If Howard plays 70% of their games and the playoffs, it's a good deal, if not...

Afflalo & Toliver go west to the Kings... my condolences, but that's not the flabber part. They gave Toliver a 8M per! I like Toliver, but I wouldn't want him around at that price.

BTW: I don't blame the players at all, in fact I'm happy for each and every one of them, they deserve all they can get!

I'm just going to have to get used to the new numbers, it's my problem!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summer

Post  BallinD on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Vs Knicks, Ellensen looks like he will be a player in this league at some point. Nice Stroke, did some coast to coast work and banged a bit on the glass, displayed the full package. Gbinije scored some, looked decent as a SG, didn't see much PG ability during his showcase, though he did score some.

SJ looked good going to his left and his ballhandling and passing, a bit better, also. He was obviously the best player on the court.

On the acquisition front, like Leur and Ish as solid upgrades. Ish is poised to be a dynamic game changer, with his handle and explosiveness. Leur, has skills for a big. Both are in our development window and will grow well with the core.

Unless Reggie, Dre and Tobias and KCP take a 10-25% uptick in their game -- and they can, especially, maybe Tobias -- Probably no title with the core, but more like a series of solid runs.

If SJ's game can catch up to his mouth, we have a shot. To me, he is the X factor. If he can run with Ish and continue to grow, we could be special. Go Pistons!
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Sparma wrote:With the Leuer deal bringing the two year rebuild largely to completion, I'm stunned by how SVG transformed the ill-fitting roster he inherited (and the deprivation of a high 1st round pick), into a young, promising, coherent roster that's already had some success.  A+ job of rebuilding ...

but another part of me is struck by how a relatively low team ceiling's come into sight during the same process.  Mixed feelings.  I can't see how the team will contend any time soon, but I admire SVG's systematic upgrading, built on an eye for talent resulting from scouring available options and decisive action.

The present Piston front office crushes Dumars Part II, in that Dumars was indecisive, made majorly bad talent judgments, made terrible FA signings, multiple disastrous trades, and sat on an incoherent roster.

But Dumars Part I brilliantly constructed a championship team.  I'm having a hard time seeing SVG & Co coming close to duplicating that feat.  In that light, I need to give a lower grade for the rebuild.  Or can you give an A+ for a rebuild which results in a B team?

I agree with everything with the exception of Dumars Part 1 being that Hammond actually was the guy who should have received major credit but Dumars did have the top job and he did OK all the deals to create that championship team.

This week did not turn out the way I wanted it to but we Piston followers can still hope that the players will come back hungry as hell with improved skills and in the best physical condition possible.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

An so it will be Smith and Leuer. Does this mean that the free agents who are in high demand do not want to play with our core players?

Post  cool breeze on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Most likely the free agents that SVG really wanted to sign didn't because he could not offer enough money. Now it is up to the ex Atlanta power forward to decide if it will be Boston or Washington. Ah well it would have been difficult for our Pistons to beat either team next season without Horford. It will just be a little more difficult for our Pistons to avoid getting blown out when playing the team Horford selects. We have to face it, our Pistons will have to play like every game is a playoff game to make the top 8 next year. I hope the players know that and make some of those free agents who didn't pick Detroit pay for it.

I had hoped that D. Wade would join the Pistons before the news broke regarding the Leuer deal. Then maybe the Pistons would start getting some favorable calls from the refs. As it stands how do you Piston fans feel about Detroit's chances of making the playoffs?

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great job building a pretty good team

Post  Sparma on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:10 pm

With the Leuer deal bringing the two year rebuild largely to completion, I'm stunned by how SVG transformed the ill-fitting roster he inherited (and the deprivation of a high 1st round pick), into a young, promising, coherent roster that's already had some success. A+ job of rebuilding ...

but another part of me is struck by how a relatively low team ceiling's come into sight during the same process. Mixed feelings. I can't see how the team will contend any time soon, but I admire SVG's systematic upgrading, built on an eye for talent resulting from scouring available options and decisive action.

The present Piston front office crushes Dumars Part II, in that Dumars was indecisive, made majorly bad talent judgments, made terrible FA signings, multiple disastrous trades, and sat on an incoherent roster.

But Dumars Part I brilliantly constructed a championship team. I'm having a hard time seeing SVG & Co coming close to duplicating that feat. In that light, I need to give a lower grade for the rebuild. Or can you give an A+ for a rebuild which results in a B team?
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Just wondering why the Pistons are not interested in D Wade

Post  cool breeze on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Looks like Wade will be meeting with several teams that Detroit will face next season in the Eastern Conference. Wade can play both guard guard positions yet there appears to be no interest by the Pistons. Same with Rondo but I get the potential problems involving Rondo. Could he fit Van Gundy's system? Is he a chemistry killer? Is he a guy who is will not accept coaching or stick with a game plan? It would be great to be a fly on the fall listening to what the Piston's management team is saying about some of the players and how they would or would not fit for this Piston team.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Sparma wrote:Drummond has agreed to 5 year max deal (130 mil), with the fifth year being a player option.  He'd agreed last summer to hold off on signing a 5 year max deal, because of the salary cap opening (of 13.5 mil) if he held off until after FA this summer.

But was it the same 5 year max deal?  No, because, first, last year the total for the 5 year max contract would have been lower.  I don't remember how much lower, but I'd be surprised if the saving would be less than 13.5 mil.  Second, more crucially, I wonder if last year there would have been a straight 5 year contract, rather than a 5th year player option.  I'd been wondering why AD delayed, putting his health at risk for a year.  Was it just the saving to the team, or was it because he'd get a player option by delaying.  Would he have turned down a 5 year max last year?  Doing so has been depicted as a sacrifice for the team, but now I think I see the component of self-interest more clearly.

What do the Pistons get out of the savings?  Ish Smith can be seen as a 6 mil chunk of the savings.  What does another 7.5 mil get us in today's market?  Not much, if today's deal are any guide.

I'd rather have AD locked up for 5 years.  I'm now thinking that was a real option, last summer.

Sparma I had been wondering the same thing relating to the delay in signing Drummond and the 4 year deal instead of 5. Considering that the best the Pistons could do was get a point guard that even Philly did not want going forward for their team, my faith in this management team has diminished a bit unless they have cooked up a trade that will involve another point guard. That must be the case because nobody in their right mind would want to gamble that Jackson will go injury free this coming season. Imagine the team has only one point guard and that guy is Smith. And I hate bashing Smith but the facts show that he has only had a few months of success and that was on the worst team in the league.

Who created all the nonsense relating to the Pistons potentially signing Horford? Was that created to hide the idea that Andre did not want to sign a 5 year contract last year and was taking one for the team? There has not been any evidence that Horford has ever considered signing with the Pistons that I can find. This rumor about Horford has only surfaced within the Detroit area media. I was thinking the Pistons were interested in Dudley but he is signing with the Suns. My feeling now is that Detroit would be better off not signing any of the power forward options mentioned unless they will sign a one year deal. Why would SVG want to mess with team chemistry for a fringe player and over pay that fringe player? He would be better off signing Tolliver to a one year deal. Piston players like Tolliver so there would be no issues. Harris is still a good option against many NBA teams at the 4. Against the bigger teams, the Pistons need to get creative and explore playing a different offensive sets that do not depend on outside shooting by a power forward. We have the new first round draft pick and there are two quality really strong big men signed to play in the summer league and both can play effective defense and are fundamentally sound players. Perhaps the Pistons should not sign any additional power forward at all. Put Stanley Johnson on opposing power forwards who post up. He is effective defending bigger power forwards. Save the cash and wait for better players down the line. That is the hardest thing to do but it is the right thing.

Detroit should have spent the money on Lin or Bayless in my opinion or secured one of the many point guards signed on Utah's team or Brandon Knight from Phoenix. Quality playoff teams identify Detroit's weakness with Smith's inability to shoot from distance or defend bigger guards or stop dribble penetration well. His best option will be to employ the point forward idea with Johnson or Harris bringing the ball up the court to start the offense like Labron does in Cleveland. Johnson can defend point guards and did that some last year. SVG needs to keep his fingers crossed that all of the starters plus Johnson come back 20% better. And he needs to hope that the rookies he adds can contribute in a big way.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Should the Pistons have signed Drummond last summer?

Post  Sparma on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:30 am

Drummond has agreed to 5 year max deal (130 mil), with the fifth year being a player option.  He'd agreed last summer to hold off on signing a 5 year max deal, because of the salary cap opening (of 13.5 mil) if he held off until after FA this summer.

But was it the same 5 year max deal?  No, because, first, last year the total for the 5 year max contract would have been lower.  I don't remember how much lower, but I'd be surprised if the saving would be less than 13.5 mil.  Second, more crucially, I wonder if last year there would have been a straight 5 year contract, rather than a 5th year player option.  I'd been wondering why AD delayed, putting his health at risk for a year.  Was it just the saving to the team, or was it because he'd get a player option by delaying.  Would he have turned down a 5 year max last year?  Doing so has been depicted as a sacrifice for the team, but now I think I see the component of self-interest more clearly.

What do the Pistons get out of the savings?  Ish Smith can be seen as a 6 mil chunk of the savings.  What does another 7.5 mil get us in today's market?  Not much, if today's deal are any guide.

I'd rather have AD locked up for 5 years.  I'm now thinking that was a real option, last summer.
Sparma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ho-Hum Start

Post  WTF on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Cool, I think Burke would have been a better move than Ish and certainly a lot cheaper. Okay I'm done with Burke suggestions I hope this Ish move pans out. I also agree that that we don't snatch up anyone (PF) for the sake of just doing so. Unless this players is a strong locker room presence to help the youth we don't need useless trash.

"However" My gut tells me that something substantial is in the works and its a blink away from happening.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Opps the Bucks have their man to fill the point guard spot with Cleveland's back up

Post  cool breeze on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 pm

My idea went out the window before I could write it down relating to my plan to steal Middleton from the Bucks. And J. Bayless is signing with Philly for around 26 mil. Would anyone disagree with the idea that perhaps the Pistons should have tried to get Bayless over Smith and spent a little more money to get that done? Will our Piston management disappoint us with a signing of a power forward we will hate watching just so they can say they got their two men to fill the weak spots and then go on vacation? No they won't do that will they???

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How about a trade with the Bucks for Middleton

Post  cool breeze on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Could anyone agree with this idea to trade KCP and Smith for Middleton? The Bucks are looking for a point guard and didn't want to trade Middleton for Rubio a while back. But being that so many fans are high on Smith, perhaps I am wrong and the Bucks management might agree with some of you Piston fans. I am reading some scary stuff about potential power forwards that Detroit might be interested in like Lance Thomas and two others who are all 3rd rate players in my opinion. I can't believe that SVG would give away Meeks who will have an expiring contract in the near future to sign fringe players like Smith and some of the power forwards mentioned on the on NBA boards today. He must have a big surprise coming. We Piston fans want really good players to be added to this young group of Piston heroes not the rejects please. Middleton is no reject. He would fit in really well.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:11 pm

merc wrote:Don, I think the main difference between Ish & Dinwiddie is motor... I always got the impression that Din was strolling through the park with no sense of urgency... he wasn't quickly getting into sets which made him easy to defend... Ish will create opportunities for his teammates... he's hard to keep out of the paint. Dre will luv al of the bunnies.
I do get that teams will tend to sag off Ish until he can keep them honest... at 33% last year it's not a major liability situation.... btw Dinwiddie is a career .174% at 3's

Dinwiddie was injured most of last season but I am not saying he would have been the answer either. Dinwiddie is not a wild and crazy type of player who likes to push the basketball when nothing is there. He was not a good fit for SVG's desire to have the second unit play up tempo. But Dinwiddie can defend well and he has size. But I agree based on last season's performance and his summer league failures, Spencer could not be counted on to run the 2nd unit this coming season. But Smith is not the answer either.

Playing for Philly nobody bothered to scout or prepare a special game plan because that team had so many holes that they were almost a sure thing to lose every night. Put Will Bynum ( in his prime playing years) on that Philly team and he most likely would be scoring 20 plus points a game. Place either player on a playoff caliber team and the other teams fighting for playoffs spots will actually look for favorable match ups and those teams will have a huge advantage when playing the Pistons. Now we have Jackson and Smith who are among the worst defenders in the league. And we have a small guy coming off the bench who cannot defend well. It appears to me that it is a fact that our 2nd unit will be at a disadvantage. How will the Pistons push the ball if the other team is scoring every time they get the ball? One of the weaknesses last season was the back up point guard position where Blake had difficulty defending certain players.

If anyone looks at Smith's performance outside the last half of the season last year, then how impressive is this player? Can he defend anyone in the league who is a rotation player??? We Piston fans have had to suffer through so many seasons of watching guards who cannot defend a fly or have no desire to become good defenders. This pick is a real surprise for me because I thought SVG wanted to add players who have stronger defensive capabilities who can shoot the ball reasonably well and push the basketball. I just do not believe that this crafty Piston management team is going to bank on Smith getting major minutes next season. And he is not a really young player that you groom for a major breakthrough a few years down the road. Perhaps he will be packaged in a trade or SVG is actually going to play a guy like Stan Johnson as point forward. Johnson sure can push the tempo and he can defend and pass well. Put Johnson up against Indiana's new point guard and see who wins the battle not a guy like Smith please.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ishtar?

Post  Oracle on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I hope not, he has to be better than the movie lol lol lol lol lol lol

Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OJ Mayo takes dirt nap... sort of, and Ballin/Merc

Post  Oracle on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:48 pm

Wow, Mayo gets banned from the NBA for 2 years, and reinstatement is NOT guaranteed after the sentence.

They only ban on HARD core drugs, not for smoking a few dubbies!

Ballin wrote:Good Guy, young vet, value contract, athletic, quicks, hops, a poor man's Isaiah Thomas (Boston version). Has been a starter, on a poor team, but, that is still a plus! He will definitely be an uptempo upgrade for second team, averaging 14.7 and 7 (for Philly.

ESPN Player Rater had Ish 22nd among PG's last year. Blake was 62ndDinwiddie was 92nd. Nuff said there!

Great upgrade, and Morris likes him! Can definitely push the break and in half court sets create space for shooters like Bullock and bulldozers, like SJ.

What's not to like? Defense, questionable? not great size. SVB strikes again!

Merc wrote:Don, I think the main difference between Ish & Dinwiddie is motor... I always got the impression that Din was strolling through the park with no sense of urgency... he wasn't quickly getting into sets which made him easy to defend... Ish will create opportunities for his teammates... he's hard to keep out of the paint. Dre will luv al of the bunnies.
I do get that teams will tend to sag off Ish until he can keep them honest... at 33% last year it's not a major liability situation.... btw Dinwiddie is a career .174% at 3's

Thanks for clearing the air with the FACTS!

I love Dinwiddie, he was one of ours, but as Merc said, he never recovered from that horrible summer league performance that I still get baffled by! He was never the same player we saw dominate the Bulls.

I wish him well, but Smith is clearly a major upgrade, and hopefully Silent G can hold down the 3rd guard spot.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hmmm. I think I like this Ish

Post  BallinD on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:42 pm

Good Guy, young vet, value contract, athletic, quicks, hops, a poor man's Isaiah Thomas (Boston version). Has been a starter, on a poor team, but, that is still a plus! He will definitely be an uptempo upgrade for second team, averaging 14.7 and 7 (for Philly.

ESPN Player Rater had Ish 22nd among PG's last year. Blake was 62nd, Dinwiddie was 92nd. Nuff said there!

Great upgrade, and Morris likes him! Can definitely push the break and in half court sets create space for shooters like Bullock and bulldozers, like SJ.

What's not to like? Defense, questionable? not great size. SVB strikes again!
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  merc on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Don, I think the main difference between Ish & Dinwiddie is motor... I always got the impression that Din was strolling through the park with no sense of urgency... he wasn't quickly getting into sets which made him easy to defend... Ish will create opportunities for his teammates... he's hard to keep out of the paint. Dre will luv al of the bunnies.
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sorry but I am not happy with the choice of back up point guard

Post  cool breeze on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:07 pm

I am wondering how Smith is an upgrade over Spencer Dinwiddie. Smith has a unstable past relating to his experience as an NBA player. He is extremely small re NBA standards and does not have a good history relating to his offensive game. How does Smith play if Detroit makes the playoffs again? How many point guards will post him up in the paint like George Hill did to Augustine during regular season games? How in hell could the Pistons play Smith if they are matched up again with Cleveland? Smith is not a good defender and he is not an offensive threat. He is fast like a fly but if he makes the Piston rotation, he will be targeted by opposing teams as the weakest link.

The best hope the Pistons have is to package him in a trade this summer. There is no way that Smith should be on this team next fall. This Piston management team is very good so I expect something else will happen down the road.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pacers Get Al Jefferson

Post  lemonpen on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Jefferson, Teague, Young. Now they may be a bit more formidable. Do the losses cause Atlanta and Charlotte to take a step back.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Please log into "The Players Tribune" and read the article by Stanley Johnson

Post  cool breeze on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:53 pm

This is the man I knew who played for Arizona and as a leader his remarkable 4 championship seasons as a high school player. Make sure you read the entire article. How refreshing to have this kind of player to follow though his career in the NBA. I was surprised by his reference to the remarks Andre Drummond made to Stanley at the end of the playoffs. Pretty cool Piston fans. We now have some of the good guys on our team.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum