Pistons Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM

+10
deusXango
FlyDog
Oracle
cool breeze
WTF
Murph
Go Stones!
Sebastian
BallinD
Sparma
14 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Re: FORUM

Post  KaySlay Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:47 pm

Still a homer commentt touting improvement in a sputtering team such as our current Pistons. But yes Oracle we did have a shake up. I and others called it out for the mistake it was, but i guess you ignored those posts.

I and others praised the chemistry and play that Ish allowed to developed. But SVG made a decision that I disagreed with. Now we are living with the consequences.

To get better from where we currently are we need a shake up regardless of what has been done in the past. And this is a forum to debate how we should do that.

What is not up for debate is this team HAS NOT improved from last year. Paper says we upgraded talent, yet are a worse team. Winning on paper isn't winning. Winning is more that accumulating talent.

Yes we need a shake up, but leaving Ish as our starter until Reggie was healthy would have been preferable to the catastrophe that we are in now. But we let the cat out of the bag. Is possible to get the cat back into the bag? Possible but not probable.

We are in a wide open conference yet sit at #11. I guess that's improvement...
KaySlay
KaySlay

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Stuff...

Post  Oracle Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:54 pm

@Wise - What you say would make me want Cousins... if it was true! I just don't believe it's true because he was acting crazy early on, as they were starting the process of trying to get good. I can understand how constantly losing and management never making decent moves could make the situation worse, but he had the exact same issues while they were trying to build something.

If that little pressure sends him off the reservation, he just isn't mentally stable enough to be a franchise player, IMO.

@KaySlay - "Other than being a homer how can any basketball fan see any improvement in this Pistons team". Well, I can be a homer, but I generally state that up front when I make a homer statement.

Let's see, you made a couple of statements like "We need a shakeup", so the question needs to be, if you saw one would you recognize it?

I ask because the real question is what do you see? Did you see this team come out of the gate somewhat slow and average? Did you see the team develop amazing chemistry and start beating everybody in sight, with the ability to close very good teams out in the 4th quarter? Were you watching?

Did you see the "Shakeup" we had? Yeah, we had one, it was Reggie's return! That's what shakeups generally do, they lead to initially worse play before they right themselves. But now you want another(unspecified) shakeup?

Who knows, maybe we do, but there's one thing you should know, it's that you don't know enough right now to make logical decisions on what that shakeup should be until you get a bit more data.

Analysis starts on paper and on paper, this is a much better team that has proven to be better than last years team in a small stretch that was broken up by a shakeup.

What I gave you was analysis, not homerism, but like the already existing shakeup, you didn't recognize it.

@Ballin - You make some statements that are true, but again, they have little context. If you analyze this teams performance, you need to do it in some logical fashion, and that logic would lead you to break it down into at least three phases, out of the gate, stabilized, and after Reggie's return.

If you don't do that, you will never understand the current state or have a chance to assess the potential of this team.

There is nothing wrong with the construction of this team, the issues you see are more due to the way the players are deployed. We swapped out a good engine(Ish) and replaced it with a refurbished one(Reggie), and it's caused a lot of issues.

Coaching has been an issue and IMO, SVG has panicked a bit with the Leuer situation, but he's feeling the heat from fans and a bad record.

I think it's just too early to panic, if we're going to have Reggie come back and get better, it's better now than later.

BTW, a trade(at least right now) is a very bad idea! Trades work best when you already know who you are and you just need to integrate a new player to make things better, or if you've given up and willing to wait until next year(like trading for Reggie).

I hear you on the hard facts of stats and record, but if that's all you see, then the future will always be a blur to you. Homerism is the ability to see things that aren't there, and likely never will be.

Analysis gives you the ability to see things that are there... sometimes hidden! It doesn't mean that good things will happen, it means that if you enhance what's there, you can MAKE it happen! I believe SVG sees it and will make it happen.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Outlook Cloudy, Oracle and KaySlay

Post  BallinD Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:59 pm

The outlook, for the Post Christmas Stretch is Cloudy.  Smart money says a trade is coming.

1. Dre is not as dominant as he was to start last season, doesn't look like he has an extra gear most nights

2. KCP is a better player, marginally (the eye test), but you never know what he will give you???

3. Reggie has not yet rounded into form, and even at 100% not sure he is what we need at PG???

4.SVG who I previously took to be a net positive, is looking more like a push, or even a negative

5.Mr. Marcus is more streaky than ever, but I do like him taking it to the rack and getting FTs. That helps.

6. The Tobias vs. GS is the Tobias I expect to see a lot more, a strait assassin.  But he caught the streaks from Marcus and is super up and down.  He could be our go to scorer off the bench.

7. Ish is a better backup, Leuer is a net positive, Stanley is OK as a defensive-minded pit bull.

7. I'd like to see somebody else emerge from Ellensen, Gbinije, Hilliard, Bullock.  We need more shooting!!!

Overall: There is nothing I see that makes me optimistic that we will make the playoffs w/o a trade.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty More Thoughts

Post  WTF Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Boogie a head case hell what about our emotionally displaced players we have now. Boogies passion is to win and losing bring out the worse in people with a passion to win. I'll take a team of Boogies any day over the up and down effort of some of our player.

Beside many were saying similar things about Morris who has been nothing but the perfect citizen and team leader since putting on a Pistons uniform. I think you're more of a head case when you sign a big deal and still show no improvement offensively or defensively yet alone a mark improvement in FT shooting.

There needs to be a shake up, wake up, make up, take up or fake up. In my opinion most of the players on this team have their own agenda nothing team related. They don't give a ****, they don't get mad, they don't angry, we need an Alpha Dog (Boogie) then we need an enforcer (Morris) then we need a leader (any PG willing to pass first and shoot last) We need smart players on this team.

I won't exclude coaching SVG sucks much in the way he did last season except worse facepalm This team might have some talent but they're dumb as nails holding up cotton. I would risk trading Andre for Boogie.

Who would have thought we would be better off without Grant Hil, who thought losing Stack for Rip would turn out great, IMO this team would improve light years if we had Boogie oppose to Andre simply on passion and desire to bring it every night.

WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

Post  KaySlay Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Oracle you need to quantify this improvement you see. Our record is worse and the stats from KCP, Tobias, and Drummond are flat compared to last year. Other than being a homer how can any basketball fan see any improvement in this Pistons team.

Former players and journalists are calling us out as a disspointment and I agree 100%. I DO AGREE that not one player is untouchable this trading season. We need a shake up! NOW!
KaySlay
KaySlay

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Different Morining Thoughts...

Post  Oracle Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:16 pm

1. Pistons will be over .500 this season and they have improved over last year. They're too talented not to find themselves.

2. I used to want Boogie(Cousins), but he's a LOT bigger head case than I ever thought, and we don't need a scorer at that position, IMO.

3. KCP is looking good and we likely can't do much better anywhere near his price, but everything depends on what the number is and what our options are. At this point, NOBODY on this team is untouchable... my how things have changed from preseason.

4. Hell yeah, RIP deserves all the honors we can shove his way, and I'm rooting for Big Ben to get into the HOF, even though I sadly agree that it may take some time.

5. No, the Lions won't beat Dallas Sad , they're going to take it up the arse and pray it was only a dildo.

6. I'm also pissed about Michigan, but I always love it when they lay a whooping on somebody... Go Blue!!!

Other than that, I'm looking for a Pistons Win against the Cavs... book it!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Morning Thoughts

Post  WTF Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:17 am

What was my prediction this season I think I said another 44 win season. Now I'm not all that certain we'll be .500 when its all said and done come season end we may very well find ourselves back in the lottery.

I'm not saying I've watched every single game this but I have watched more than half and I'm telling you I don't see a lick of improvement from last season to this season. Maybe it'll change as Reggie gets back to last season form and the team gets better but so will other teams like the Bulls and Knicks. New York and Chicago especially NY look to have taken steps that put them both 2 steps ahead of us.

If Sac-Town is looking to move Cousins I would be ears wide open because I'm not sold that Drummond is what this team needs. I'm not sold at all on Reggie no different than I wasn't sold last season. I won't even get into the KCP issue but SVG need to be considering making significant changes by trade deadline because last season might be the max this roster can accomplish.

There are still no consistent shooters on this roster and defensively in the middle Andrea just don't cut it. I wouldn't be so down about it if Andrea was putting up numbers offensively to make you forget how inept he is as a defender in the paint. We should those 20-20 games every-time he's on the floor

Other news I hear the team is retiring Rip's number and they should be he's was the big part of the team success, leading scorer and hit just as many big shots as Mr. Big Shot. Damn shame how they/Joe played him towards the end and portrayed him in the end.

Lions Tale: I'm mad, excited, confident, worried and a number of other things. I think the Lions will come up big tonight in Dallas and make the post season but dang it they should have won last week and the division would be locked up already. Lions VS Packers for Div whoda thunk that....Go Lions

Hard to get excited about the Bowl games since the Wolverines were cheated out of a playoff spot.........BS
WTF
WTF

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Merry Christmas!

Post  Sparma Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:13 pm

I hear Dragic of Miami's on the trading block.
BallinD wrote:Happy Holidays and happy posting in the New Year to all here who believe in Deeeeeeeeetroit Basketball!!!!!

FORUM - Page 5 Piston10
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Merry Christmas to All

Post  BallinD Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:36 am

Happy Holidays and happy posting in the New Year to all here who believe in Deeeeeeeeetroit Basketball!!!!!

FORUM - Page 5 Piston10
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Trade?

Post  Go Stones! Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:46 am

Vucivic (young center in orlando) is on the trade block. If we could get him it would provide another couple yrs of stability at center. This gives us next years backup center. Boban is not the answer. Vuc would be better than anyone we would draft and has two yrs left.

We've always gotten the better of Orlando, so let's do it again!
Go Stones!
Go Stones!

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Post  Murph Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:25 am

I agree with those who say Tobias Harris is not the problem. The Pistons should continue to start Harris, their leading scorer. If SVG wants to work Leuer into the starting lineup, he should bring Morris off the bench. Morris is a drastically undersized PF shooting an anemic 42% from the floor.

The longer term answer would be to sign Serge Ibaka in the he off season. If I'm not mistaken, Ibaka is going to be a free agent. With Ibaka's defense and outside shooting, he seems like a natural fit for SVG's system. Ibaka is shooting 49% from the floor, including 42% from the 3 pt line. Then bring Morris and Leuer off the bench.

In addition, keep Reggie Jackson and let him work out the kinks. Make KCP a qualifying offer, then spend the big bucks on Ibaka, not KCP in the off season.

Murph

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty To all my Forum Bro's and their families...

Post  Oracle Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Merry Christmas!

Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Hoping

Post  BallinD Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:32 pm

Well, we solved that problem, getting that bum (jk) Tobias out of the starting lineup.  Oh, wait, wasn't the problem, eh?

Reggie getting it now?  maybe? Our ball movement was better.  He is still most comfortable passing to himself and dribbling for himself, to the team's detriment.  As Oracle stated, he throws passes when they're covered and dribbles when they are open.  

As constructed, we still need a trade, but maybe moving Stankey to the starters will give us defense and firepower off the bench, free up KCP and Reggie to do their thing.  Not been a big Stankey fan at all, (what a bricklayer) but his D is for real and it can lead to transition buckets...pace creates space.  Oh wait, we tried that with Ish and it worked.  SVG would never want that.

DX:
I hope a trade is brewing for a PG upgrade, because there's not a damn thing wrong with our forwards, or give Gbinije a chance to see what he can do on the big stage (while we're circling the drain); heaven forbid he outplays Reggie on both ends of the floor. When Harris was told he was being replaced (as if he was the problem for losing or being punished for exercising his right to speak) he responded by going out and setting season highs; when Reggie was told to do his job and pass the ball, he responded by pouting and being a non-contributor. I see why SVG seems to be afraid of removing him from the starting lineup, even with all his power.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Logical vs Fair & Game

Post  Oracle Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Leuer is needed in the starting lineup because he's a real PF, Harris isn't.

As many of us have discussed, the logical thing to do was to send Morris to the bench and move Harris to the starting SF position.

But that wasn't the fair, or smart thing to do for these reasons.

1. Harris is the least tenured of the starters and the least likely to lead.
2. Morris lead the team meeting and is the edge the team needs

It would be a difficult sell to move Morris to the bench when he's so vital in o many other ways. Not saying it wouldn't be possible, but it certainly isn't prudent.

The Leuer effect on the starting lineup will take some time to see, but it will materialize this season.

Game: Reggie is getting better, but he's still an issue, IMO, as evidenced by this game.

Late in the 4th, Reggie started dominating the ball. This isn't unusual, that's the style of play we used last season, but this time it had dire consequences.

With less than 3 minutes to play(can't remember the exact time), the score was tied, we had the ball and a chance to go ahead.

Reggie pounded the ball doing who knows what while KCP was wide open, then when they had him bottled up, of course KCP's man had closed on him, and that's when Reggie passes it to KCP and he jacks up a difficult shot that doesn't have a ghost of a chance, and GS scores on the next possession... Game basically over!

Reggie's behavior is well known, he's a VERY poor mans Westbrook, and GS knew exactly how to play him! We needed him to move the ball to keep the defense honest, but he continues to believe he's the only one that can save us in the 4th.

That may have been somewhat true last season, but this season, this team is better served when Harris, KCP, Leuer & Morris are getting good looks.

We're growing up as a team, it's time for Reggie to do some growing up as well!
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Has anyone given any thought to this?

Post  deusXango Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Tobias Harris, all things considered, is really the best "flawed" player on the Pistons. Andre is the most imposing, Stanley has shown to have the most promise, KCP is the most consistent defender, and Ellenson is the "next best thing" in waiting but, right here, right now, I'm putting my money on Harris!

All that talk about how Reggie put the team on his back and carried us to the playoffs is bullsh!t; he was a contributor. We wouldn't have been in a position to make a playoff run without SVG trading for Harris, because that's when the team began to gain steam. He's the only player on the roster that is making mega-bucks that SVG didn't foolishly overpay. That indicates to me he was highly thought of before coming to Detroit, he just didn't fit for some reason. It's piss-poor judgement removing him from the starting lineup!!

Not saying Jon Leuer shouldn't be starting but, I am saying #1. Harris shouldn't have been the one consigned to the bench and #2. what's going to be the long range impact of that decision if we win a few games? Where's this leave Henry Ellenson? Talking defense...we already don't know if we can keep our best defender in KCP, because of salary demands, now we're positioning ourselves to throw Morris in the mix when his contract is up. Thanks SVG, brilliant thinking. Morris is making pennies, compared to, and he's accustomed to coming off the bench.

I hope a trade is brewing for a PG upgrade, because there's not a damn thing wrong with our forwards, or give Gbinije a chance to see what he can do on the big stage (while we're circling the drain); heaven forbid he outplays Reggie on both ends of the floor. When Harris was told he was being replaced (as if he was the problem for losing or being punished for exercising his right to speak) he responded by going out and setting season highs; when Reggie was told to do his job and pass the ball, he responded by pouting and being a non-contributor. I see why SVG seems to be afraid of removing him from the starting lineup, even with all his power.

TO ALL MY FORUM FRIENDS AND YOUR TREASURED FAMILY MEMBERS, ENJOY A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS...JUST ENJOY!!!!!dance
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Warriors game

Post  Phil-Good Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:53 am

Good fight. Nice effort and all that.

BAD DECISION TO BENCH Harris. Bad choice. The guy is playing out of his mind. He only 24 years old. He only has 1 or 2 more years on his contract. Detroit really needs to keep guys like Harris really happy.

I love Morris and how he plays but Harris is the future. I could be wrong but I'm usually right about these things!
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Good reality check for fans and players

Post  Phil-Good Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 am

In my opinion, this is A great reality check for everybody involved. This can become A great reality check for what direction this team needs to head moving forward.

The main job of Stan and Jeff from here on out is to find Jackson's replacement A.S.A.P. If the Piston have their eyes on A young prospect at the PG position then do the research and go get the kid like the Spurs did with K.Leonard.  

I have A few PG trade Ideas that I believe Detroit should look into.

1. John Wall for Jackson, 2018 first round pick and A toss in like Baynes and Hilliard. That's about it.

2. Jackson for Rubio and A few young boys in Minnesota.

3. Utah has this kid Exam who can play but he is young.

4. Orlando is about ready to give up on Payton. But that kid can really play. He just needs A little more time to develop.

5. Denver  has Emmanuel Mudiay. Denver could really use A guy like Reggie and Detroit could use A young stud like Mudiay. That would be A win win trade for everybody. Detroit could talk Denver into giving up one more of their young stars.
Phil-Good
Phil-Good

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty That's weird: our off-season transactions were good

Post  Sparma Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:27 pm

We lost Tolliver (who's performing a tad below career averages, at an enormous salary increase), Meeks (injured, I think), Spencer Dinwiddie (whom I like, but who hasn't set the league on fire in 5 games), and Blake (out of the league?).

We picked up Leuer (one of best FA signings leaguewide), Ish Smith (performing a bit beyond expectations, I'd say), Beno (who filled in nicely as 2nd PG and looks like an excellent 3rd PG), and Boban (hasn't done much, but is the back up center in waiting, as expected).

Our draft choices haven't contributed much, but they're looking like excellent picks.

Looks like a clear roster upgrade. But here we sit at 14-17, about to face the two best teams in the league (I do expect a spirited performance by the Pistons in at least one of those games). Odd that the front office made good moves in the off-season, yet we're really struggling in comparison with last year. There's some kind of life lesson in there, but I'm not sure what it is. Keep moving forward or regress?
Sparma
Sparma

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty When The Tale is Told On This Season

Post  BallinD Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:13 pm

This debacle will stand out. It has been said by more than a few that we are back at the training camp phase of our development.

All the early talk about riding it out with the team we have now appears obsolete, as the controlled demolition of chemistry, defensive prowess and pace-to-create space has sent those attributes out the window for the time being.

It appears a trade is in order as chemistry, consistency and offensive production are as elusive as SVG's heart and brains. Oh well, at least SVBower is good at trades. We may need a productive, leader-type veteran to grab the reins and help right the ship??.

We can only hope. Will we swing for the fences or tinker around the edges? Are the playoffs already out of sight as we struggle to gain traction, while our competitors speed away, leaving us in last place in the Central.

Has this debacle and the ongoing spectacle finally convinced SVG (Stupid Van Gundy) he needs to hire a coach.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty DX

Post  Oracle Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 pm

deusXango wrote:The Pistons struggled offensively again, in spite of the "signs of life" narrative, and it was a game that had Jon Leuer been in the starting lineup, it wouldn't have mattered!! We would've had one pissed-off forward though. (The replaced starter).

The Pistons failed to score 90 points and the low scoring Grizzlies damn near scored 100 on our floor. I wonder what the real basketball guru's are saying about SVG's decision making now; how many are supporting his decision to continue running RJ out there? It makes all the sense in the world to bench a healthy, productive player in favor of starting a gimpy, ball hogging, "leader," who has no training camp or pre-season experience under his belt. Where are you Steve Blake, when we need you?
Exactly!

It's not that we can't win with Reggie, it's the fact that he's at training camp stage, and when he came back, these guys were at early season stage.

We had already gone through the development of chemistry and conditioning, and putting Reggie right back into the starting lineup has thrown us back to training camp struggles.

Remember how long it too to get Ish and the guys playing great ball? That chemistry may be gone, or at a minimum weakened!

This is a f**k up that's really huge, and there isn't an easy way out of it.

The sad thing is that I understand why he did what he did, but I don't understand why he won't own it, which would have been the first step to fixing it.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Reminder to Reggie: When you do wrong, you can get run over by the...

Post  Oracle Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:58 pm

FORUM - Page 5 Karma_10
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty What I saw last night

Post  deusXango Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:03 am

The Pistons struggled offensively again, in spite of the "signs of life" narrative, and it was a game that had Jon Leuer been in the starting lineup, it wouldn't have mattered!! We would've had one pissed-off forward though. (The replaced starter).

The Pistons failed to score 90 points and the low scoring Grizzlies damn near scored 100 on our floor. I wonder what the real basketball guru's are saying about SVG's decision making now; how many are supporting his decision to continue running RJ out there? It makes all the sense in the world to bench a healthy, productive player in favor of starting a gimpy, ball hogging, "leader," who has no training camp or pre-season experience under his belt. Where are you Steve Blake, when we need you?
deusXango
deusXango

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty SVG Punts on first down!

Post  Oracle Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:10 pm

BallinD wrote:SVG: "I think he was burdened trying to keep everybody happy and do what everybody wants. Play and the whole thing. Come on. You can't play basketball like that."

Ok, it is clear that SVG's balls shrunk and he's trying to swallow them while talking out of the other side of his mouth.  Any fool could see the RJ sulking, pouting, willful quitting on his team vs Chicago, plus there is a track record of this from OKC.

SVG is doubling down on RJ and his decision to disrupt what some claim is a small sample size of success with Ish.  Small sample size is for statisticians.  Trending is for those who can see and support conditions for the positive trend to continue.

SVG  is thumbing his nose at the players who Don't Want Touches so much as to Play The Right Way(Exactly, it wasn't selfish touches they were after, it was totally about playing the right way).  He had better figure quick that the PnR style was waning last year and is non-existent this year.

He said everybody should do their job, well do yours SVG!  Sit Reggie and give Ish the reigns, especially with that F#ing punkazz attitude.  Cancer.  The Leuer bandaid is not the answer, though it might help.

Neither the fans, nor the players wanna see Reggie dribble the shot clock out while he passes to himself.  If he wants the players to play hard, then he needs to coach hard.
So SVG punted instead of addressing the real situation!

Leuer getting into the starting lineup won't solve this problem, and IMO, will make whoever gets sat feel like they're being punished for something they didn't do!

I'm very disappointed with SVG's handling of this situation mad
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Sparma wrote:Reggie Jackson was outstanding in his first half season with the Pistons, every game of which I watched. His rep coming in was that he could create his own shot and that he was above average with the pick and roll, as well as a decent but not great shooter. Also, it looked like he caused trouble in OKC on his way out. Even in playing well with the Pistons, he slowed down the tempo (in comparison with Jennings) and played a selfish, if effective, brand of ball.

SVG's done a great job in rebuilding. He's managed to make lopsided trades (Jackson, Morris, Harris) by taking on players who for various reasons were deemed expendable elsewhere. In doing so, combined with other astute moves, SVG pulled off an astonishingly speedy rebuild.

But those lopsided trades didn't happen by coincidence. We weren't picking up Anthony Davis for a boatload of second tier talent. The very method that SVG employed came with taking on significantly flawed, limited, players. The speediness of the recovery came with accepting a relatively low ceiling of accomplishment. We've become a pretty good team in a hurry (and less than that at the moment).

Specifically, SVG opted for a strong axis in Reggie and Drummond, to be supplemented by solid players. Brilliant plan and it's succeeded pretty well until recently. But it's a plan that comes with inherent limitations.

Didn't watch Reggie vs Chicago, but it sounds like petulant, me-first, behavior. This can't be a surprise. I've been skeptical all along that he's a genuine franchise PG. Maybe he'll put in a mature performance today, but I think he's roughly what he'll be moving forward. I don't foresee a great leap forward by RJ.

Could we become great as a team?

Possibly, if our flawed center becomes a genuine superstar, or if the number 18 pick develops not merely into a good NBA player but a star, or if we're able to pull off a trade for a top level player.

SVG's played the odds brilliantly thus far. Now the odds are against him breaking on through to the other side. The past few days accentuate problems long paired with the creative rebuilding strategy adopted by SVG.

Outstanding post Sparma.

I wasn't unhappy that Reggie was not looking for his shot in Chicago. In fact it was refreshing to see him actually trying to run a half court offense with everyone included. Reggie was very disappointing on the defensive end along with all of the other starters. Reggie has those long arms and could be an amazing defender as much as he could be an adequate play maker if he was willing to make changes. But according to his quotes to the press, Reggie plans to be Reggie. Notice Jackson didn't say he wanted to be an improved version of the Reggie of last season. From watching Jackson closely in the Chicago game, it did not appear that he is confident with his skill set. I hope this recent tail spin does not become a nightmare. Paying attention to detail as a team on defense could go a long way to at least elevating this team back in the 8th spot. But you so cleverly described the real dilemma facing SVG. All five players in the starting group have defects. If those players have character they can improve the team by working on their defects. And the draftees Van Gundy has picked will need to develop into top tier players like you said. But Stan does not have a history showing that he is a guy who is willing to take his lumps losing games now so the young players can get NBA experience. The Timberwolves now have 3 young players who are developing great chemistry together as they get closer and closer to top tier players. One of the reasons Gores hired Stan Van Gundy was to BUILD a top caliber team. The owner didn't want the rebuild to be limited to creating an 8th place Eastern Conference team.

With all that said and done I am just happy to be alive and able to watch our Pistons play basketball games over the winter months and into spring always excited and filled with hope that some miracle will happen to lift the Pistons back into a top tier team. Right now our players are not competing as hard as their competition. They are content to give up 2nd chance opportunities. How many times have fans watched players look over to their coach SVG after failing to box out and another shot is launched for a score? "Oh crap I forgot. Sorry coach." No wonder most NBA coaches have ulcers

cool breeze

Back to top Go down

FORUM - Page 5 Empty Delusional. Does he think we're Stupid

Post  BallinD Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:55 pm

SVG: "I think he was burdened trying to keep everybody happy and do what everybody wants. Play and the whole thing. Come on. You can't play basketball like that."

Ok, it is clear that SVG's balls shrunk and he's trying to swallow them while talking out of the other side of his mouth.  Any fool could see the RJ sulking, pouting, willful quitting on his team vs Chicago, plus there is a track record of this from OKC.

SVG is doubling down on RJ and his decision to disrupt what some claim is a small sample size of success with Ish.  Small sample size is for statisticians.  Trending is for those who can see and support conditions for the positive trend to continue.

SVG  is thumbing his nose at the players who Don't Want Touches so much as to Play The Right Way.  He had better figure quick that the PnR style was waning last year and is non-existent this year.

He said everybody should do their job, well do yours SVG!  Sit Reggie and give Ish the reigns, especially with that F#ing punkazz attitude.  Cancer.  The Leuer bandaid is not the answer, though it might help.

Neither the fans, nor the players wanna see Reggie dribble the shot clock out while he passes to himself.  If he wants the players to play hard, then he needs to coach hard.
BallinD
BallinD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next