FORUM

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Sun May 24, 2015 10:55 pm

Phil1980boy wrote:It's been too many Dirk like FLOPS Over the last 10 Years in the NBA Draft. I think I would stick to A American born player or A Euro player who went to A American college or A kid who is not 18 years old. If I take A euro kid high he has to be at lest 21 and more developed so I know what I'm getting into.

Just my opinion on the EURO player.....

This makes good sense Phil. How can any Piston fan forget Darko? The two players Van Gundy was scouting in Europe should not be considered for any team in the first round unless that team doesn't currently need another rotation player and has the luxury of letting that player develop for several years in the Euro league. However, I believe that Stanley Johnson is going to be a great NBA player and he is extremely young. The thing a lot of people don't know about Johnson is the fact that this guy has been working on his NBA game for years. He didn't work on playing college ball which is very different from the NBA game. Johnson can carry weight well without losing his amazing first step. Johnson can bang unlike a lot of Atlanta players who keep moving out of the way of Labron. I ca't see Denver passing on Stanley Johnson though so I shouldn't waste anyone's time talking about him. I agree with you though that the typical 18 or 19 year old kid is not ready to make an NBA rotation. I worry about Winslow if Detroit picks him if he drops to number 8. He is a raw talent and that is it.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's been A lot of 'Dirk' type of Euro FLOPS!!

Post  Phil1980boy on Sat May 23, 2015 9:14 am

It's been too many Dirk like FLOPS Over the last 10 Years in the NBA Draft. I think I would stick to A American born player or A Euro player who went to A American college or A kid who is not 18 years old. If I take A euro kid high he has to be at lest 21 and more developed so I know what I'm getting into.

Just my opinion on the EURO player.....

Phil1980boy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  merc on Sat May 23, 2015 2:42 am

Kaminski is a tough one to figure out... he's got that nice shot and pump fake... can get inside and finish. He did play well under pressure... but damn he seems like an uncoordinated gump... Can he defend PF's in transition & face ups?
Still there's this thing that says he's gonna get the last laugh.
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

DX, Murph & Lemonpen

Post  Oracle on Fri May 22, 2015 8:27 pm

@DX - Two things. First, I've made that same point, and I believe that the Pistons are focused on getting a big man one way or another in this draft. That's why I posted the weaknesses of the SF's in the draft to show that while they may have upside, they also have risks, and big men are not only less risky, but they maintain their resale value a lot better. Add to that the fact that it will be easier to get a SF than a quality big man in FA/Trade, the draft is simple to me... go BIG!!!

@Murph - I see you're taking heat for basically giving a history lesson lol . However, IMO, it's not that the players we lose on are White, it's the numb nuts picking the player for all the wrong reasons. While I agree with you that Kaminsky's upside isn't as high as the other big men in the draft, some of that is because he's already acting and playing at a higher level. He is a bit slow, and he knows it because he was out in LA working on his speed!

If we're to be honest, we know for an absolute fact that he will be a defensive liability, and the weak spot in the defense because almost everybody will at least attempt to back him down or blow by him. Does that mean we shouldn't draft him? Maybe, it all depends on who's on the board when we pick, but he will be valuable down the line because he'll fit somebody's offense out west in a trade if he doesn't work out!

@Lemon - I agree, it's not about race, it's about ability & fit. Kaminsky is on my short list, but he's not at the top of that list. I can't wait to see the draft, something unexpected almost always happens, and somebody good could fall right into our laps!!!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This is so unlike the Murph I've come to respect

Post  deusXango on Fri May 22, 2015 4:27 pm

lemonpen wrote:
Murph wrote:What was the vanilla flavor of the day last year?...oh yeah...Doug McDermott.  How'd that work out?

Don't buy the hype on Kaminsky.  

You know who I'd seriously prefer over Big Frank?...that other Badger, Sam Dekker.  But Dekker is probably too big of a stretch at #8.

But seriously guys...you have to go back 25 years to Big Bill Laimbeer to find a successful white Piston.  And before that, how far back do you have to go?...Johnny Mengelt?...Chris Ford?...Dave DeBusschere?  That's a long time.

I never once thought of this as a black & white problem, and quite FRANK-ly  I won't begin to today.  
Lemon, I'm with you all the way, color has nothing to do with a true players ability, and I think Kaminsky is a true player. I'm done with the Sam Dekker hype machine because that guy totally disappeared when all the marbles were on the table, plus Frank wasn't his sidekick, he was supposed to be helping Frank out, and boy, did he ever let this "skinny and slow" kid down when he was fighting against (and winning!) the best collection of talent in the country. I'll say it again;

"There's two dumb ass things, spoken and unspoken, that's held against Kaminsky; he's a senior and he's white. If we don't want an educated player with a high basketball I.Q. and except the fact that some of the most dynamic players, in all facets of the game, in the history of the NBA were white, we don't really want to win!"

The guy's polished, smart, got the size, has plenty of time to develop the weight/strength/endurance necessary to be a complementary force in this league. He didn't accomplish what he did with smoke & mirrors and didn't have the green light because he was playing for his old man.
deusXango

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Say What ?!?!?

Post  lemonpen on Fri May 22, 2015 3:44 pm

Murph wrote:What was the vanilla flavor of the day last year?...oh yeah...Doug McDermott.  How'd that work out?

You know who I'd seriously prefer over Big Frank?...that other Badger, Sam Dekker.  But Dekker is probably too big of a stretch at #8.

But seriously guys...you have to go back 25 years to Big Bill Laimbeer to find a successful white Piston.  And before that, how far back do you have to go?...Johnny Mengelt?...Chris Ford?...Dave DeBusschere?  That's a long time.

I never once thought of this as a black & white problem, and quite FRANK-ly I won't begin to today.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Murph on Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

What was the vanilla flavor of the day last year?...oh yeah...Doug McDermott.  How'd that work out?

Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Big Frank

Post  lemonpen on Fri May 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Murph wrote: "Let Monroe go and draft the college POY, who's a legit 7 footer, with the required skillset to perfectly compliment Drummond's evolving game, who'd probably have the highest basketball I.Q. on the starting unit, and won't knock a hole in our CAP. Nooooo! "He's too old (22 years old), he's reached his ceiling (in the absence of any supporting evidence to that statement), he can't rebound, defend, nor will he be an All-Star!" It's strange we find things wrong with every player that could help this team..."

Kaminsky is slow and skinny.  He's a defensive liability, and he's going to get beat-to-hell in the NBA.  And at 22 he's doesn't have all that much upside.

I wouldn't call him skinny @ 7 ft & 242 lb. Note, that's only 11 lb lighter than Monroe. Like most rookies he will have to work on the body.

I love the idea of a true 7 ft'er that can SHOOT the ball well. Many PF defenders will be reluctant to come all the way out to Frank leaving him plenty of room.

7 ft'ers can generally rebound a little bit. All Andre needs is a little help that a taller player can provide.

I also like the fact that he has played well against top college talent, not to mention under the bright lights.

For my money I strongly favor Kaminsky.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Other Moose

Post  Murph on Fri May 22, 2015 1:19 pm

"Let Monroe go and draft the college POY, who's a legit 7 footer, with the required skillset to perfectly compliment Drummond's evolving game, who'd probably have the highest basketball I.Q. on the starting unit, and won't knock a hole in our CAP. Nooooo! "He's too old (22 years old), he's reached his ceiling (in the absence of any supporting evidence to that statement), he can't rebound, defend, nor will he be an All-Star!" It's strange we find things wrong with every player that could help this team..."

Kaminsky is slow and skinny. He's a defensive liability, and he's going to get beat-to-hell in the NBA. And at 22 he's doesn't have all that much upside.
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cool breeze on Fri May 22, 2015 11:51 am

Murph wrote:Winslow is falling in the mock drafts.  If Johnson is gone, and Winslow is still there, take Winslow.  If they're both gone, take Turner.  Do not take a Euro.

I would go for a sign and trade of Monroe to Boston for a 1st rounder, Zeller or Sullinger, and Gerald Wallace's expiring contract.

I hope Jennings comes back and plays well enough as a back-up that we can trade him to a contender for something of value, before the deadline.

Can someone please remind me why we cut Josh Smith again?  So we can pay his salary and watch him play in the semi-finals?  Outstanding!

Murph I think that if Jennings is not traded before training camp and SVG signs Jackson, there could be a real battle for that starting point guard position. Jennings is going all out in his rehab as has been reported. The key thing to me is that Jennings has added more weight which I will really help him on the defensive end. Jennings could bring the Pistons a key player in a future trade if he is able to fully recover from this serious injury.

Van Gundy needs to polish his crystal ball and see the future. Then somehow get something for Monroe, trade Jennings, and get lucky with the 8th pick. What I like right now is that there is real hope that the Pistons will show signs of improvement next season. We need one outstanding defensive player who can lead others. Who will that be? If only D. Green would sign with the Pistons. He would change everything. We would have a First Team Defender and a real leader.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great playoff series between Houston and Golden State

Post  cool breeze on Fri May 22, 2015 11:36 am

How exciting basketball can be when you have real players participating on both sides. Notice that 9 out of 10 players who were selected to the All Defense Team play in the Western Conference. Only Wall made the 2nd team. How long has it been since our Pistons have had any player recognized as a good defender by other players or coaches in the league? Who is responsible for that? Yes of course our former leader, Joe Dumars who did everything he could to sign weak minded defenders. I can go way back at a time when Jason Terry was much younger and the Pistons had a very good team. We needed a combo guard but Dumars just had to figure out a way to keep his close friend, Hunter in a Piston uniform. Meanwhile, I was talking to Jason Terry who played in a short summer league with some other pros and college players as well as working hard on his individual game. I mentioned that it sure would be great if Jason could somehow play with the Pistons. He advised that was exactly what he told his agent. However, it seems that there was no interest on the part of the Pistons. I still say to this day that our Pistons could have won two more championships if Joe Dumars had signed a quality combo guard to play with Billups and Hamilton. Joe Dumars wanted to be known as the GM who could field a top rated team while keeping the payroll towards the bottom of all teams in the NBA. It was all about what Joe wanted and we had an elderly owner who would go right along with whatever Joe wanted. Terry would have been a great fit for the Pistons along with several other combo guards who wanted to play with that Piston team. But it didn't happen and that is on Joe Dumars. After John Hammond left the Pistons, Piston fans entered the Dark Ages where Joe Dumars took the Pistons into the toilet. Meanwhile, Jason Terry is a good two way player still today at age 38. Terry never lets himself get out of shape. He loves practice. He loves the smell of the gym. He overcomes injuries and of course has been extremely lucky to have avoided career ending injuries. Whenever I think of Jason Terry, I go back to Joe Dumars and his insistence on putting his personal friendships above doing the right thing to give the Pistons a chance to win championships. Jason Terry told me years ago that he was not the only guard who wanted to sign a contract with the Pistons.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Right HERE, right NOW, going into the offseason

Post  deusXango on Fri May 22, 2015 11:13 am

#1. When are we going to let the overkill about the benefits of releasing Josh Smith go? He's gone and back in the playoffs, while we're still not there yet. It's not so much the talk about how much potential "we" showed, but the constant examination of the blemishes of his game (mainly centered on his lack of 3 point shooting ability); he's gone and we're still paying him.
#2. It's amazing how many fans are talking about the big hole at SF we need to fill instead of the overwhelming need for a PF who can play alongside Drummond and stretch the floor; ALL the SF candidates, in the draft, are either too damn short to compete in today's NBA or not good fits for this Pistons team; as much as Singler was talked up, while he was here, why not bring him back as a starter? It's because he wasn't sh!t and we tolerated going into games essentially one man short, yes we tolerated his ass, but are unwilling to give Miller a shot this year. It'll take someone more cynical and bitter than I to give his game proper maligning; "he ain't a qualified starter, if he was all that, why didn't Denver (overstocked with veteran SF's, an inept coach who was fired before season's end, and an underachieving team) keep him?" I've read all that type rhetoric, but the fact remains, he's young enough and skilled enough, to at best be considered for a starting role or at worse be a quality backup in the rotation.
#3. The world won't spin off its axis if Monroe walks and we don't get doodly squat for him, so WTF do we waste time speculating on different S & T scenarios for? All attempts, by SVG, to do that will speak badly of his ability to run a team from the front office; he'd appear dimwitted and slow, which is not the truth. Let Monroe go and draft the college POY, who's a legit 7 footer, with the required skillset to perfectly compliment Drummond's evolving game, who'd probably have the highest basketball I.Q. on the starting unit, and won't knock a hole in our CAP. Nooooo! "He's too old (22 years old), he's reached his ceiling (in the absence of any supporting evidence to that statement), he can't rebound, defend, nor will he be an All-Star!" It's strange we find things wrong with every player that could help this team, but the mediocre players that come along we want to hold onto and the team continues to stink! I'm tired of moral victories being the closest we can come to contending, and it's in the spirit of that fatigue as a fan, I can see and fully support the Pistons drafting Frank Kaminsky, by far the best, proven, PF that's guaranteed to be available for us at #8...he'll be the sleeper of this draft and given a proper chance to contribute in Detroit, in the running for ROY, watch and see. There's two dumb ass things, spoken and unspoken, that's held against Kaminsky; he's a senior and he's white. If we don't want an educated player with a high basketball I.Q. and except the fact that some of the most dynamic players, in all facets of the game, in the history of the NBA were white, we don't really want to win! Cousey, Maravich, West, Bradley, Cunningham, Howell, McHale, and the Living Legend Bird....the list goes on, but all we can talk about around here is Darko (over a decade ago!) and the flash in the pan failures, who I don't think my boy "Frank the Tank" will fit in the category of failure.
#4. Brandon Jennings is desperate and him playing at an unsustainable level, for a short stretch, shouldn't bring him into competition with a healthy Reggie Jackson; didn't we learn anything from the popular, albeit, ill-equipped Chauncey Billups proclamation to return as a starter? I remember that resulting in an unnecessary and unproductive trade (BK7 and Middleton for Jennings), a disappointing season (in which his contribution was to the disappointment), and a big damn waste of time while the franchise took a step backwards. Jennings is not going to earn a contract as a backup and he's not going to magically return to the form we last saw him playing at; I hope the powers that be don't f@ck up and let Reggie go in an attempt to resurrect Jennings.
deusXango

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE:2015 Draft talk

Post  Phil1980boy on Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 am

Oracle, that was A great Video on the potential # 8 picks weakness. I saw Mario Hezonja A weak or so ago and I would pass on that kid 20 out of 20 times. He too immature and has A reputation as A bad attitude, big ego kid. In my opinion, you can tell everything about A kid attitude by the way he plays defense..

This is why Stanley Johnson and W.C.Stine are on the rise.. This is why I'm high on this kid Devin Booker. I could not believe how hard he plays on defense and he is not afraid to attack the rim as well. Reminds me of Allen Houston A little bit. I like that kid...
Phil1980boy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Weaknesses of projected SF's

Post  Oracle on Thu May 21, 2015 3:50 pm

While I think the strengths of these guys gets a lot of press, the weaknesses don't! So I've found some video for you guys to review!

Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Murph

Post  Oracle on Thu May 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Murph wrote:Winslow is falling in the mock drafts.  If Johnson is gone, and Winslow is still there, take Winslow.  If they're both gone, take Turner.  Do not take a Euro.

I would go for a sign and trade of Monroe to Boston for a 1st rounder, Zeller or Sullinger, and Gerald Wallace's expiring contract.

I hope Jennings comes back and plays well enough as a back-up that we can trade him to a contender for something of value, before the deadline.

Can someone please remind me why we cut Josh Smith again?  So we can pay his salary and watch him play in the semi-finals?  Outstanding!

Right on all counts!

Yes Winslow is falling, generally for the same reason Johnson is falling... HYPE! Not about their skills, but about their size. Johnson was sold as being 6'8, Winslow 6.7.5, and both are roughly 6'5 or 6'6, which is closer to SG size than SF.

I will say that Johnson has superior weight, which can offset to some extent his smaller stature and that's a plus, however his really poor showing in the tournament has left a sour taste! Also, I agree, I don't trust the Euro's in this draft, and that's not a knock on Euro's in general, I'm being very specific here!

At this point I'd S&T Monroe for a clean jock strap, and feel like I won the lottery if we could get back anything of use to the team. But Boston is a good partner for a couple of reasons. First, they have a ton of picks, and could easily afford to cut some loose. Second, they have a lot of players that are useful, some redundant in their offense and thus expendable.

Unfortunately, Ainge didn't get these assets by being dumb, he's a tough customer, but it certainly would be worth trying!

With Jennings, it's a win-win situation if he can get back to playing good! If we can trade him for needed help great, if we can't, we could benefit from having two starting quality guards for a season and work out the problems later!

Finally, Josh is playing absolutely fantastic basketball! All of those 3's he used to miss, he's making, and his passing and movement without the ball is simply great!

But we had to get rid of him! IMO, the biggest problem was that I don't think SVG would take the rock bottom price and blew it when he had the chance to move Josh!

I've always said that SVG the rookie GM was a big problem, he made a lot of rookie mistakes that I'm sure are out of his system now that he has a real staff! Some see him cooing at Monroe as a problem, but I see it as smart because it keeps hope alive that Monroe & his agent will work with us to get a S&T!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stuff

Post  Murph on Thu May 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Winslow is falling in the mock drafts. If Johnson is gone, and Winslow is still there, take Winslow. If they're both gone, take Turner. Do not take a Euro.

Can someone please remind me why we cut Josh Smith again? So we can pay his salary and watch him play in the semi-finals? Outstanding!
Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Is there any possibility to do a sign and trade with Boston?

Post  cool breeze on Thu May 21, 2015 11:53 am

Boston has two first round picks and two 2nd round picks. They have expressed interest in Monroe in the past. Could Stan pull off a sign and trade with Detroit receiving possibly two draft picks and a rotation big man from the Celtics?

My gut feeling is that Denver will be drafting Stanley Johnson with their 7th pick if he is not already taken. If so the Pistons need to get lucky and pick the best power forward available and sign an NBA established small forward. Getting something for Monroe would be real cool.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Will Cleveland sweep the Hawks?

Post  cool breeze on Thu May 21, 2015 11:35 am

Jeff Teague started out so well in the first quarter and then couldn't do anything right for the rest of the game. Has Paul Millsap lost his grit? He is missing free throws and shots he would always make in previous seasons. His overall game did not look good in the previous series against Washington. Can he get his game into a higher playoff style gear? Millsap has a lot at stake being he is looking for one last huge contract. I thought the Hawks two big men would give Cleveland problems. Instead both had their asses kicked in the paint. Now Atlanta's high energy small forward is down. JR Smith is making everything he throws up. And then there is Labron who rules the NBA. Atlanta has looked bad many times against their other opponents. I hope they can regroup so we get to see some exciting games. The Hawks have had a great season. It is sad to see several key players miss easy open shots and go for several minutes without making a field goal. The Hawks need a statement blowout type game to keep this series alive. Can they make that happen? I don't believe the match ups are in their favor and the Cavs could easily go back to Cleveland 2 games up and go back home for the sweep. Then they can rest up for the finals. Come on Hawks!

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Absolutely!!!

Post  Oracle on Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 am

Phillip wrote:My advice to the Detroit Pistons if they keep the pick. DO NOT DRAFT FOR NEED!!!! DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!!! CENTER, POWER FORWARD, POINT GUARD, SHOOTING GUARD, WHATEVER! DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER NOT THE BEST AVAILABLE PF OR SMALL FORWARD!!

Do that and Detroit will walk away with A great player in this draft guaranteed..

If we keep the pick, this is the absolute best advice!

We're going to get a good player, and that means we will have a valuable trade piece at worst, and a possible future piece at best!

To be brutally honest, we aren't sure that we have any can't miss players yet. We have a few possible star players, so adding another high upside player just increases the odds.
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: How to fix the NBA playoff system and the Draft system

Post  Phil1980boy on Thu May 21, 2015 6:36 am

Yo Chicago. NO thanks on Gibson and the other guy. But I will take Nikola Mirotic off your hands for the 8th pick and A swap of 2015 first round picks. Hows about that buddy??

My advice to the Detroit Pistons if they keep the pick. DO NOT DRAFT FOR NEED!!!! DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!!! CENTER, POWER FORWARD, POINT GUARD, SHOOTING GUARD, WHATEVER! DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER NOT THE BEST AVAILABLE PF OR SMALL FORWARD!!

Do that and Detroit will walk away with A great player in this draft guaranteed..
Phil1980boy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fixing the Playoffs and the Draft

Post  Sebastian on Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 pm

I actually would like to see the conference and divisions remain as they are, but change the playoff teams and draft system changed to the following:

1- Each team that wins the regular season conference are seeded 1 and 2 based on their records.

2- Teams with the best records 3-16 make the playoffs.

3- Teams 17-30, Draft 1-14, best record with the first pick through the 14th pick. This way teams will play ever game, as if it actually does mean something. Get rid of the gimmicky ping pong balls, the 16" X 16" envelopes and placards, and this ridiculous event where prospective top picks are dressed up in some fancy New York theater. Truth be told, the Draft Lottery production is a big waste of time.

4- So what if Minnesota is not ever a playoff team, again. They have been in the Lottery for the last 10 seasons straight with multiple picks on a few occasions and their still drafting early in the Lottery.

Again, there is no need to reassemble any divisions or conferences. Think about this Pistons Pals: The New York Knicks, yes the lowly Knicks played perhaps a larger role in what WE have witnessed as this seasons Western Conference Playoffs.

Remember the Knicks defeated both the Spurs and the Thunder at the Garden. If the Spurs (March 17, 104-100 in OT) had not lost to the Knicks in New York, the Spurs would have had the #2 Seed at the start of the Western Conference Playoffs and the Thunder (January 28, 100-92) would have got in as an 8th Seed and the Pelicans would have not made the Playoffs.

So every game does count.

Phil1980boy wrote:This is how you fix the playoffs. Kill the east and west. Put 6 team in new divisions. Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Minnesota and Chicago in the same division. Call it the Great lakes division.

Houston, Dallas, Spurs, OK City, Phoenix and Denver Call them The South West division

Miami, Orlando, Charlotte, Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans. South Division

West side division: LA, Lakers, LA Clippers, Warriors, Sacramento Kings, Utah Jazz, Portland.

East Division: Washington, NY, Brooklyn, Toronto, Boston,  and Philly.

Playoffs fix: Win your division your in. After that best of the best finish out the last 8 spots. Playoff format. 2-3-2

NBA Draft. This is easy. Make A top 5 lottery. All bottom 5 have A % chance at the number 1 pick. Whoever wins wins. But the next draft, every bottom 5 lottery team is disqualified from A top 5 lottery selection the next draft. So if NY, LA, Min, Philly and Orlando are bottom 5 in 2015. they are disqualified from top 5 lottery draft for 2016 Lottery draft no matter how poor of A record they had. The next qualified 5 will be All new teams unless somebody makes A trade in or out.

Now if somebody wants to tank for the 9th and 10th pick go right ahead. Also add A 3rd round. make every NBA team buy A NBDL team and start to build the D-league up just like MLB. Those high school kids can be drafted in the 3rd round only but they have to stay in the D-League until they 19 or 20 years old.

It's very simple...
Sebastian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Is Troy Aikman Gay?

Post  Oracle on Wed May 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Troy Aikman: I've chosen to not date men
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chad Ford: I was going to post that...

Post  Oracle on Wed May 20, 2015 9:03 pm

But his take is a bit different from mine!

IMO, we don't need the 8th pick to get a good player in the first round, so my suggestion is that we attempt to trade down!

I'm not overly excited by any of the big men, and the one SF that I would take will be gone by the time we pick, and I know I don't want Stanky Johnson lol

However, we could pick for someone else and get back a player and their pick would be my preference, but trading it away totally isn't wise IMO!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chad Ford's article about trading our 8th pick

Post  cool breeze on Wed May 20, 2015 8:15 pm

I like Ross but do not think Toronto will trade him. McDermott and Gibson for our 8th pick? What if Stanley Johnson is available? He can play 3 positions. The local paper here provided Johnson's interview at the Combine. His high school coach who has coached several successful NBA players advised that Johnson is the best player he has ever coached. Johnson told the media that he was the best player in the draft and told them he plans to back up his statement next season in the NBA. Johnson is a work dog. I would trade Johnson's potential upside for a young player who couldn't make Chicago's rotation and Gibson who appears to have declining athletic ability. Would Van Gundy mortgage the Piston's future making a trade for some players listed who could bolt after one season?

I take on this article is that perhaps Stan Van Gundy doesn't think he has a good handle on the quality of players in this draft. So Stan doesn't want to draft someone who will be a bust. That means he might take a sure thing which would mean the players we get are rejects from other teams not really high quality players. I don't believe that some of the younger GMs currently holding jobs in the NBA would think like that. Is Van Gundy only planning on staying with the Pistons for a short time and wants to make his mark now? If that is true then perhaps Van Gundy is trying to sell snake oil and his only plan of success might be to get the Pistons into the first round of the playoffs. I wouldn't gamble on the two foreign players mentioned because they have a history of not being capable defenders. But both Johnson and Kaminsky have great potential to make their marks quickly. Johnson is much more developed at his age than KCP. If SVG wants to sell his top pick, then perhaps he should make a trade including a vet player with a lower first round pick. Maybe he could snag Kaminsky in the first round and get a vet small forward for the 8th pick. My only hope is that we don't end up with middle of the road rejects from other teams and lose our first round pick.

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good article about Drummond getting one vote for the All Defensive team

Post  cool breeze on Wed May 20, 2015 7:29 pm

The question is, who provided that vote? Drummond is a horrible defender. How can you catch up at this late date after you have ignored all of your previous coaches before entering the draft? He is young. Maybe he can overcome his bad habits but it is doubtful that Drummond will ever become even an average defender even knowing how much athletic ability has was blessed with. Instead of working extra hard on his defense, Drummond wants to score more. To be a good defender, you have to get a kick out of screwing with the opposing team's offense. Drummond always appears to be in panic mode unable to get the mental part of playing defense.

So moving forward, our franchise player is not Anthony Davis. It is Andre Drummond who is a work in progress unable to defend without getting in foul trouble and unable to shoot a free throw to save his life. If you didn't know, Drummond did have the worst free throw percentage in the entire NBA last season. Maybe he is paying posters to write stuff about changing the rules on intentional fouling.

The Pistons have a scrub team coming back to compete for the playoffs next fall. The current players have not played together long enough to win even if they were talented enough to play like playoff players. Hence, if Stan Van Gundy wants to create a winning team, he needs to select talented young players who play hard and most likely lose a lot of games. Position the Pistons for a top 3 pick in next year's draft and trade away most of the current players for draft picks. Have a 6 year plan for success instead of the old plan which has been no plan. And please do not use the 8th pick on a foreign player who has zero ability to defend. Draft Stanley Johnson or Kaminsky or trade the pick for something better in next year's draft. Don't waste the pick please!

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum