FORUM

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bravo Thabo

Post  BallinD on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:04 pm

This is from the "No good deed goes unpunished" file.

Atlanta Hawk Thabo Sefolosha, acquitted of bogus charges, to file civil lawsuit vs NY Cops.  

Last April he was charged with "obstruction governmental administration" WTF??? His leg was kicked out from under him from behind, he was arrested and held for 12 hours, because he got out of his car and tried to give a homeless man 20 bucks.

On the witness stand, the lying cop said his leg was already broken before the incident.  Mind you, he played a game that night and then went to a nightclub, all with a broken leg, no less??? Amazing.

“I had nightmares. I would wake up sweating in the middle of the night,” Sefolosha said. “I was dreaming not necessarily of that exact moment but more of the whole feeling about it—half scared, half nervous. It felt like I had been just one wrong move away from something much more serious happening. It was a long summer for me. I had nights where I came back after watching the team play, just feeling defeated and angry that all this had happened, and for no reason.”

Sefolosha, who calls the incident “an act of police brutality” in a GQ piece, plans to file a civil rights lawsuit.

ESPN, SI, nobody touched this story all summer till he was acquitted a couple of weeks ago, but everybody wants to talk about Lamar Odom.  Not to get political, but with all the obvious discrepancies in the cops story and rampant police brutality vs black males, the NBA was strangely silent on this one.  Hmmmmm.  

Thabo refused to take a plea deal and went to trial.  Bravo!!
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oh Snap

Post  lemonpen on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:11 pm

The Freep is reporting that #1 and #3 will be retired this year.

Mr Big Shot and Bennie Wallace. clap clap clap clap clap clap

Pistons set to retire numbers of Billups, Wallace
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forum Question

Post  lemonpen on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:59 pm

What do you think the probability is that Jodie Meeks gets "Wally Pipp'ed".

Unfortunately for him there is an eager and seemingly capable youngster waiting in the wings. Oh, and said youngster is coming off of a pretty impressive pre-season.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome to the Board BallinD

Post  Sissy1946 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:47 pm

BallinD: 47 wins eh? Love it! Sure hope so anyway, Again Welcome.
Sissy1946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pistons are on the right track and Van Gundy is using the right players in key situations

Post  cool breeze on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:23 pm

First off hats off to Stan for using Stanley Johnson in crunch time to defend Hayward. This shows me that Stan Van Gundy is watching what is happening in real time during games. I noticed that nobody could guard Hayward in the first half until Stan had Johnson take his turn and he did a great job. Notice that Hayward did not touch the ball on the inbounds pass after Detroit went up by 3 points. And Pope was ready and made a great block anticipating where the pass had to go due to Johnson's great positioning. Morris had a tough night trying to guard Hayward and Van Gundy made the switch to Johnson trusting our rookie's defensive ability.

Steve Blake is like a breath of fresh air. He is not even in game shape yet but pushed the tempo all night setting our our great big man Drummond for easy buckets. Blake actually plays like the point guards from the old era and he sure gets the players moving without the ball on every possession. I hope that Spencer Dinwiddie is taking notes. Jackson is a different type of player but also effective in a different way although the jury is out relating to how well Jackson will look once teams figure out what he is trying to do. He dribbles too much and does not get everyone involved in the offense. Yet in crunch time, somehow he had made good things happen.

Pope shows that he has worked his butt off this past summer cleaning up weaknesses in his free throw shooting, defensive positioning, and his recognition of situations. What a outstanding athlete he has become!

Drummond looks so much stronger. His body looks different. HE IS IN SHAPE! He is a leader. WOW

Finally all of our big men this season are actually real NBA players who embrace playing defense with toughness. These players are just getting started and getting the feel of each other but there is no doubt that they are a different breed than we have seen in the recent past. There will a lot of bumps in the road this season but we won't have to worry about Piston players taking nights off. It is also refreshing to not have to watch Monroe playing defense while playing power forward. Go Pistons!

cool breeze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

47 Win Season

Post  BallinD on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks for the Welcome Oracle. Been a Piston fan since Zeke ruled the universe. If we start out good and grinding out games like all good ole Piston championship teams do (two games is not a trend, but...)

We have a shot at second round. StanVan teams usually come on late, so if we start early and come on late, there's a chance we can "punish them" and rub their faces in this irrational and insatioable Piston hatred by ESPN and other fools. Detroit vs Everybody!!
47 Wins, but no more major injuries. That's my caveat.
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome and predictions

Post  Oracle on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:03 pm

BallinD wrote:Kenny, Chuck and Shaq all agreed on air that Stones would make the playoffs this year/ Print the tickets. Oh wait, the bus can't leave till Brandon gets on.

Liking it all so far...But...If only Dre could channel his inner Big Ben, or even his inner Joel Anthony, we might have something here. The way it looks we'll be going to work (on D) this season, with some grit sprinkled in, but Dre is still looking too slow, too lethargic on D.

Lovin Mook Morris.  Not so much Reggie 2.1. Blake will be huge.  KCP's ceiling, speedier Afflalo?

Welcome to the board BallinD, we're glad to have you join us!

I'd like to let both you and Fly know that if you want to join in on the prediction game, just give a prediction for the number of wins you think the Pistons will achieve this year.

Sorry, the only prize is bragging rights for a full year, paid for by the losers Smile

Also a reminder to Cool Breeze, don't have me have to send Stanley Johnson to your crib on this upcoming 6 game west coast trip to get your prediction lol

Yeah it's optional, but it's also fun! Current predictions are below.

MemberWins
Lemonpen49
Sebastian48
Merc45
DX45
Oracle44
Wise44
Sissy43
Fennis42
Phil1980boy42
Stones41
Murph40
Cool Breeze
Sparma
Fly
BallinD
Others
Vince Ellis35
Perry A. Farrell36
Drew Sharp38
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Res Erection?

Post  Oracle on Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:55 pm

FlyDog wrote:Drew Sharpe article says that the last time the Pistons were 2 games over .500 was in 2009; the very day that Bill Davidson died.

Good to see you Fly!

Yes, I almost got an erection from the visual in your location lol lol lol

Location:  Crouched down in Rosario Dawson's shrubs with binoculars

Oh yeah, I could dwell in that land lol lol lol
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Winning Ugly = Going to Work

Post  BallinD on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:40 pm

Kenny, Chuck and Shaq all agreed on air that Stones would make the playoffs this year/ Print the tickets. Oh wait, the bus can't leave till Brandon gets on.

Liking it all so far...But...If only Dre could channel his inner Big Ben, or even his inner Joel Anthony, we might have something here. The way it looks we'll be going to work (on D) this season, with some grit sprinkled in, but Dre is still looking too slow, too lethargic on D.

Lovin Mook Morris.  Not so much Reggie 2.1. Blake will be huge.  KCP's ceiling, speedier Afflalo?
BallinD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Res Erection?

Post  FlyDog on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:50 am

Drew Sharpe article says that the last time the Pistons were 2 games over .500 was in 2009; the very day that Bill Davidson died.
FlyDog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Loosing Loosers?

Post  FlyDog on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:05 am

Hey, this team actually looks pretty good. The effort on D has been excellent. I'm not sure that they can score enough down the stretch of games, hopefully Jackson can develop into the guy who can make wins happen like he did last night with the big 3 and then the driving layup. KCP and Stanley Johnson are very athletic, and could potentially become stars.

Great start to the season!
FlyDog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  Phil1980boy on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:30 am

Good Win. Well coached team. Guys are committed to playing defense.

Too much 1 on 1 but that will get touched up by Van Gundy.

Good to see young guys, learning how to win ball games. This was A fun game to watch.

Big blow with Meeks broken foot. That signing has quickly become A bust.. Meeks has been here two seasons and has had major injuries two seasons.

Detroit will be shopping on the open market for A scoring, shooting 2-guard now. I would take A strong look at K.Martin over in Minnesota. Ben Gordon is A free agent. I would look to see if he has any interest in playing professional basketball again.

I hope this team can stay healthy this season.
Phil1980boy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sluggish in 1st Half

Post  Sissy1946 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:30 am

Stan laid down the Law & got everyone on the same page, to bad about Jodie, didn't want him going out like that. The team had some nice balanced scoring, Jackson was good & bad but that could help them quite a bit, he's trying to get there, to much dribbling says Stan, KCP was all over the place being at the right place at the right time especially at the end, great teamwork when they went a little cold they hung in there, this team would have lost both of these games last year but plugged through it.
Have to give them a lot of credit until they learn how to close out teams like they should, I know I said we needed another scorer but these guys are playing well together so much that maybe another scorer isn't what is needed, just maybe blend in a little better & cover each other's azz, Brandon will be here sooner than we expect & we'll be better for that, a good win guys, let's set a trap for Chicago, can't wait to see us get a little Swag going to but first let's clean up our errors.
Sissy1946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  merc on Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:04 am

With Meeks out (same injury as Durant) Bullock will get a chance to show his worth.
The new shooting coach is paying big dividends with Dre's FT shooting... this was going to be his "no. 1 priority"... That compact straight release should translate beyond the first couple of games.
After the game SVG said several times that Jackson needs to quit dribbling around ("probing") and start attacking... good thing he woke up in the last few minutes.... I have a lot of confidence in RJ... we know what he's capable of, so this starting unit should improve.... next up, Da Bulls
merc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A LOT to hate about this game, but when you're down...

Post  Oracle on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:55 pm

In the fading minutes and close that mother out, it covers up a multitude of sins!!!

Last night was a powerful statement game, and tonight's game was no different! This is EXACTLY the kind of game they damn near always lost... Not tonight!!!

They're a work in progress, but the biggest thing I liked was that they had two games with wildly different styles, and they managed to handle both and come out on top!

This was more like a playoff game, where most of the action occurred in the half court! They faced another young athletic team that , quite frankly, looks pretty good. Utah has length, hops, shooting and players capable of breaking you down... that last part scared me, because we don't have as many!

I can go into detail about the stuff I didn't like, but not when they pull out a win like this... color me impressed!!!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

If Greg Monroe was on the floor...

Post  deusXango on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:45 pm

...he wouldn't have produced anymore than Morris or Ilyasova did! What will we do without the Great Moose? Where will the rebounds come from? Will we be able to replace that high teen scoring average? I'm going to watch the interior play for the next dozen games and be mindful of the difference in pay for what the Bucks are paying Monroe and what Illy and Morris are costing us. I know money factors in because of all the premature bitching about Jackson that's based on his contract.

Did Butler and Singler combined production ever match what Morris's was last night? Marcus had an "off" game last night on top of everything else. I see a big difference now that we have 2 decent forwards, instead of who we went to war with last year and that difference is more than 10 games on the plus side!

I'm not going to kick a man when he's down, but I can't wait to see how things play out when Jennings returns to the lineup.
deusXango

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Andre's 5 Junk Shots

Post  Sissy1946 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:04 pm

After posting info on those 5 bad shots Andre took & needed to pass the ball out instead of shooting a non good shot I noticed an article on Andre on our right, nice read: glad to see some one else feels the same plus a few on here, Andre is our big dog but we want our big dog to be in better control as he keeps getting better, now I'm sure than SVG is going to ride him for those shots last night & tell him he helps the team a lot better when he doesn't take this wild shots & pushes it out to a better shot, TEAM FIRST Andre.
Without those shots he played a game we expected of him so while he gets better hopefully Stan will have that "Reign" on him until he does, no harm, no foul but something to keep an eye on.
Sissy1946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Forum

Post  lemonpen on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:10 pm

If the defensive effort and attention to detail that we just witnessed happens considerably more frequently than a one win wonder I ask……

Does Brandon Jennings still fit. Would better surrounding D make him more or less valuable. Has his time passed. Or like Willie B could he make our bench the most productive in the Association.

Kudos to GM Stan for recognizing which San Antonio back up C to drape our uni over. Tiago was hot garbage.

Is it my imagination or does Meeks seem to play at warp speed. I wonder if it throws him out of rhythm.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pistons 106, Hawks 94

Post  Sebastian on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Pistons Pals: OUR Pistons played a very good, competent game at the Highlight Factory, last night.

(BTW the florescent green numbers look okay on the Hawks's black jerseys, but does not work on their white jerseys, which is one of my greatest pet peeves with the NBA: Home teams wearing road uniforms. Now, that I've gotten that off my chest.)

First off: Head Coach SVG is planning on coaching, beyond the Tax Deadline (April 15). SVG has OUR Pistons headed in the right direction.

WE got excellent games from the 2, 3, and 4 positions. KCP, Marcus, and Illy played extremely well on both ends of the floor. I was somewhat surprised with Illy's passing ability. He threw a few nice passes that kept the ball moving a more than a few offensive possessions.

Dre Drum played at a level, WE have come to expect. I'm fine with Dre bringing his Moses Malone (R.I.P) game. He shot 60% from the line. But, I would like to see Dre alter and block a few more shots, but I think that this will come.

Mr. October played well enough. He is sneaky good offensively and always has been. But, I would like to see him not command the ball so long in the shot clock. Also, he has to become the best PG on the floor, during the last 5 minutes of the game, before I am sold on him as an ascending NBA PG.

Stanley is going to be a star, no doubt about. He has great instincts and he is build to last. I can't help but see a bigger, stronger, more completed version of Rodney Norvell Stuckey wearing the #3, but alas it is the next big thing to play in "D", Stanley Johnson Jr.I really enjoy watching this kid play.

Aron Baynes was more than adequate as a substitute to Dre Drum.

Although Steve Blake had some good plays, here and there, he is far too elderly to check PGs, like Teague and Shroder. Stan appears to not have any confidence in Dinwiddie.

I would have like to have seen Reggie Bullock get Jodie F@ckin' Meeks's minutes.

But, Pistons Pals: The key to the success of OUR '15-'16 Pistons is the return of Brandon Jennings. If B. Jennings can come back an play 80% of the way he played before rupturing his Achilles, then WE are set to very good season.

I don't think that GM Stan should entertain any trade offers for B. Jennings that does not return a more than serviceable back-up PG. WE should keep B. Jennings and let him get those 16 minutes that Steve Blake got, during last night's win in Atlanta with a slight increase as he works himself back into shape.

OUR Pistons have protect home court, tonight against Jazz at the Palace.

DETROIT BASKETBALL!!!
Sebastian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stuff...

Post  Oracle on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:27 pm

@Wise: You made two very good points! We do take a lot of 3's, except for Morris, who will take a 3 if it's available and the right shot, otherwise he shoots very good from midrange and post ups! However, there is an analysis that says that if you shoot 40+ percent from 3, your opponent has to shoot a lot higher from 2 to beat you.

My problem is that unless we can keep hitting shots and that percentage drops, you tend to shoot yourself out of games. I'm hoping that they find a happy medium and balance the number of 3 point shots.

Secondly, you noticed the huge difference in our forwards! There are things we'll miss about Monroe, but clogging the lane, slow on the break, and weak hops in the paint won't be some of them.

EI had a solid game, and like Merc, I'll see if he can keep it up. Morris is just so confident and professional in the way he just goes out there and handles his business. I can't wait to see how he does against SF's closer to his size, but finally, I can see us winning that matchup most nights. BTW, Basemore(sp) going into NY for Atlanta and facing Melo after getting punked by Morris, doesn't sound like it will end well!

IMO, the big difference is that the combination of EI & Morris is by far more dynamic than anything we've had in a long time!

@Lemonpen: Yes, we absolutely saw something different last night, and yes it was one game, but we'll take it! The longest journey begins with the first step, and hopefully this is the kind of win that builds confidence! My biggest fear was yet another moral victory that comes from putting up a good fight, but losing! We've had enough of those less filling games, time for the real thing!

@Murph: Here's the problem with Jackson(I'm sure they will correct)! Atlanta has very fast guards that are dangerous under normal circumstances. however, in the 4th, they applied the DUMB guard defense on Jackson and it worked.

They put a hard trap on him! A dumb guard will always try to dribble out of a hard trap, but that's exactly what they want you to do! If two guys are on you, a guard with vision is going to pass it, because the probability of someone being WIDE open is 100%!

Reggie either doesn't see the open man, or he simply thinks he's so good that he can dribble the clock out and still score, but he's not! I'm not too worried because SVG isn't going to put up with that, he knows that ball movement is the safest way to protect the ball and to get a good shot!

@Sissy: You're right, Drummond seriously needs to pass the ball and stop taking those really ugly dumb shots. Looking at his FT's, I didn't see any change, they just want in more often last night. I'm not sure he's turned the corner just yet!

Jodie Meeks is, as you put it, running out of excuses! He's just plain bad on both ends of the floor, and as a shooter, he's putrid!

Finally, I'm not sold on KCP's performance, but I seriously hope he can keep it up. If we can get production from positions 2,3 & 4, coupled with what we get from Jackson & Drummond, we're going to win a lot of games!!!

EDIT: A big KCP concern is that because Meeks sucks so much, we saw an old trend in this game that needs to stop! KCP played the most minutes of any player! We can't keep over playing this kid while demanding productivity in the 4th! SVG, get a grip on this ASAP!
Oracle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great Job Boyz

Post  Sissy1946 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:47 pm

It wasn't pretty but at the end of the game we were in control of the situation, sure Reggie had the ball in his hands with the clock running out twice, he has to get better, Morris & Illy made us proud, Andre except for those 5 junk shots he took looked great especially shooting 60% from the line, he needs to pass the ball more when those shots come up because not one of them were close to being a good shot, everyone chipped in except for Jodie Meek's, Jodie was out to lunch & is running out of excuses after finally being in good health, Blake had a shakey effort but once he gets that weak azz effort 3 point shot going he'll be fine, better him than Do-Wah-Diddy, a good team effort, the fact that they controlled the game more or less was superb, let's take that win & get after it tonight & clean up what needs to be cleaned up, after all we did win the game & are 1-0, let's see how good we can be after a win like that last night. The future is bright, Jennings is coming back & the shooter we need for this team is out there somewhere. One game at a time.
Sissy1946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Couple of Things That Made Win Slightly Impressive

Post  WTF on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:53 pm

1. Going into the season the Hawks were ranked 8th in the league and 2nd best in the East though they didn't look like it. So beating them in their home opener speaks a lot though it does not truly define where the Pistons stand overall.

2. Last season they would have loss this game with Monroe and Singler on the floor but IMO Illy and Morris added a dimension that was missing and been missing for some time. I mean this not in terms of stats but impact on the game as an whole even in effort. Illy ability to drive the hole is just as valuable as him popping out hitting a 3 and Morris overall confidence at SF on both ends was large. Both Singler and Monroe provided just enough doubt and uncertainty in their roles to make easy games close and eventually losses. I didn't see any of that last night.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Observations

Post  Murph on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:32 am

I actually thought Jackson played pretty well last night. You have to remember that Teague and Schroder are two of the quicker PGs in the league. I have to believe that Jackson will look better against bigger, not so quick PGs. As is was, Jackson still put up very good numbers and ran the offense well, IMO.

I was also impressed with Morris and Ilyasova. They didn't try to do too much, but they played smart and efficiently on both ends of the court.

We destroyed the Hawks on the boards, 59-40. That led to 14 more shots and 11 more FTs than the Hawks.

Dinwiddie passed up Harvard for CU?

Murph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Game 1: Not an Ordinary W

Post  lemonpen on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:52 am

Solid game against a really good opponent, and on their floor to boot.
This has the signs of a stand up and take notice W.

I was impressed with our defensive effort and attention to detail. There was timely help D, guys moved their feet to maintain position, and we were able to deny ATL first and sometimes second thrust at the basket. As mentioned already the perimeter D was way ahead of anything we witnessed last season.

The numbers indicated Morris would be a huge upgrade on the glass over our 2014 season opening SF but I didn’t expect the forward duo to contribute so well.

KCP took a massive step forward in his maturation process with this strong showing on the road.

60% FT shooting keeps DrumDrum on the floor during crunch time.

Did it look like Stanley was pressing in an attempt force the action every time he or his man touched the ball. Quote from Magglio “When I try to do too much, I don’t do too much”.

I know it’s only one game, but boy this didn’t look like your Kuster-Curry-Frank-Cheeks Pistons.
lemonpen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

First Game Thoughts

Post  WTF on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:42 am

Hard to make any kind of real assessment but I'll note that I didn't last season nor will I this season grasp the concept of 29 (3's) attempted even at 41% accuracy.

I liked the balance scoring across starting lineup and would love to consistently see those numbers from them, the last time we saw balance numbers like this was with the Bad Boys.

I wasn't horrified by Jackson play last night he only had 2 TO's collectively the team had 15. I think it was jitters for the most part and the fact it's just early in the season and they need more time to gel. What I liked about Jackson was that he limited himself to 10 shots which is what I a PG should do but he needs to keep his assist total in double figures wasn't excited that he only had 5. Jackson had a nice all-around game when you look at his stats I was more impressed with his 2 steals and 8 boards.

What I was really excited about was seeing SVG only go 9 deep into the roster and that needs to be something he does on a regular so that this team truly does gel correctly.

There was only one player that I was looking to see a giant change in and that was Drummond and I'm no so sure I was happy with. His offensive post game still sucks. Sure he will amass a lots points and boards during a game as he did last night, but he needs to be a goto option in crunch if he's to carry the tag "Franchise Player" and his defense is still suspect IMO.
WTF

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum