FORUM

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yup

Post  FlyDog on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:56 am

If there is somebody who is physically capable of taking this team's D up a few notches, it is Drummond. His play puzzles me. But as it stands now.....we gotta score 110 to have a shot at winning.
avatar
FlyDog

Posts : 764
Join date : 2011-12-14
Age : 46
Location : Fort Myers, FL (Lil Pakistan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Someone Has To Lead Them

Post  WTF on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:50 am

FlyDog wrote:I agree Oracle.......in order for this team to find moderate success, they are going to have to outscore folks, like the Pistons teams of the early-mid 80's.  If they are serious about doing more than just being competitive and exciting, they'll have to find a way to play some lock down D.

It only takes one to start a trend and that's where KCP or Andre need to step up and lead by example IMO. Think Rodman or Big Ben as examples of this IMO Andre should be swatting shots like he was the second coming of Mutumbo! I just don't think we have players passionate enough to really want to get after it on the defensive end.

Andre play should be inspiring that Moose wants to follow suit and become more aggressive with how he defends.
avatar
WTF

Posts : 4148
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Silly Rabbits

Post  WTF on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:36 am

Man is it just more media attention or has athletes been this stupid all the time. I swear I've just read at 15 articles on ESPN in the last 20 minutes about some form violence, drug use, weapon charges, and theft. I just don't get it with these guys that make more than enough money, have promising careers and can't refrain from illegal activities. WTF!
avatar
WTF

Posts : 4148
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre Bad Boys

Post  FlyDog on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:08 am

I agree Oracle.......in order for this team to find moderate success, they are going to have to outscore folks, like the Pistons teams of the early-mid 80's. If they are serious about doing more than just being competitive and exciting, they'll have to find a way to play some lock down D.
avatar
FlyDog

Posts : 764
Join date : 2011-12-14
Age : 46
Location : Fort Myers, FL (Lil Pakistan)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Two Ex-Pistons, two great games

Post  Oracle on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:05 am

Josh had his usual horrid shooting night, but he did pull down 13 boards, get 4 assists and 9 points in a win over Chicago.. good game Josh!

Knight has a pretty bad game during regulation, but once they got to OT, he erupted for 12 points to easily put away the Lakers in a close contest!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

We needed that win... but

Post  Oracle on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:02 am

Some things are clearing up!

John Lucas da 3rd isn't the turd I thought he was... dude can score and is elusive.

But Don is correct, our small guards are going to get abused in any playoff matchup, with our only hope being to out score opponents. That's a tough task in a 7 game series, and it's even tough in the regular season.

Meeks did a bit better early, but he isn't KCP, who was out with of all things, the same thing that took Jennings out for the season. No, not a complete tear, or even a minor tear, just a sore Achilles, likely a strain!

I don't even have a clue as to how you know when that is good to go, but I hope they don't rush him back. It's really bad because the last time KCP went out, he came back unable to shot and looked bad! But it's better to be safe than sorry in this situation.

Back in the day, we were told to use RICE therapy. RICE Definition: The R in RICE stands for rest -- try and stay off the effected food as possible. The I stands for ICE -- at least initially this can help reduce the swelling. The C stand for compression -- by an ace wrap from the local drug store can help. Finally the E stands for elevation -- keep it elevated.

Even so, knowing when to come back is tricky, but you have to go with how the player feels I guess!

This one really hurt us in the standings, and makes it harder to move up the ladder to playoff action.

While Lucas has made the case that he's the #2 guard, at least to this poster, I really hope SVG can see that he's going to need a bigger more physical guard to be competitive in some matchups, and plays Dinwiddie enough minutes to get him serviceable!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Sparma wrote:Solid bench effort, especially by John Lucas.  Two nice assists to Joel Anthony early, possibly equaling the number of times Joel's been assisted this season.  Looks like Lucas has established himself as the second PG choice.  Understandable based on performance, but I'd still like Spencer to get his opportunities because Lucas won't be part of the team's future.

Sparma Stan Van Gundy is going to have to decide which path he is going to take to build a solid team that can compete in the playoffs. With this team he picked up a speedy vet in Lucas who can push the basketball. Stan is correct that this team's only chance to win with this group of players is to push the basketball and get open shots in transition. But if a miracle does occur the first playoff opponent is going to do exactly what Indiana and George Hill did tonight. They will pick on our point guards. So if Jennings were healthy and Augustin is the back up then everything goes out the window relating to playing fast paced basketball. To get open shots in transition, Detroit will need to get stops and that is unlikely to happen in the playoffs in a 7 game series. Augustin played his butt off and was so tired he looked like he had tunnel vision in the 2nd half on offense because of fatigue but even if Augustin had plenty of rest, he would still be helpless playing defense against tall physical players like George Hill.

SVG will need to revisit his vision relating to building a solid team. That should include a point guard with size on the squad who can come in and save the day by getting stops against bigger point guards. I thought for sure Stan would insert Spencer Dinwiddie when Augustin was having problems in the first half. It would have been cool to see how Dinwiddie handled George Hill on defense. Spencer was an outstanding defender in college and could defend 3 positions well. Keep your confidence young man. If more loses pile up because our point guards are targeted on defense, Van Gundy will be forced to bring in more size at that position.

cool breeze

Posts : 2718
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Indiana

Post  Sparma on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Solid bench effort, especially by John Lucas. Two nice assists to Joel Anthony early, possibly equaling the number of times Joel's been assisted this season. Looks like Lucas has established himself as the second PG choice. Understandable based on performance, but I'd still like Spencer to get his opportunities because Lucas won't be part of the team's future.
avatar
Sparma

Posts : 1111
Join date : 2011-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

At war with yourself? Not Really Sure

Post  WTF on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Oracle wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:Hard to applaud anything that Moose does considering his current contract status with the team.  I haven't done a sh!t load of Moose Bashing this season because of his current contract and my general perception of his game.  Quietly I sit and hope he's just good enough that some other team values him high enough that a decent sign and trade scenario looms possible this summer.  

I still think he's a turd and we can do better as far as that PF position goes,  I don't like his overall defensive effort and the lack of a mid range still.  Be careful folks in wrapping yourself in the hopes of him staying because I don' see it happening and that he'll likely bolts.  The only way he stays and I'm not so sure about that is if bottom feeders are his only real option and that has some real merit to it considering how things didn't go as he thought this past summer as far as offers goes.  

I think we are seeing the best of Moose and that this consistent double guy everyone seems to wish for will not materialize and that SVG will make a huge mistake in over paying.  I'm still not sold that both he and Andre are a perfect match because both need to play center and both require a PF and SF that are capable of stretching the floor.  

Would I keep Moose if he exclusive played the center position? Perhaps but SVG has already cemented Andre as Franchise Player (wrongly and prematurely)  so Moose will be stuck in a position he's not really suited to be in.   Just Saying

You're in one hell of a conflict with yourself!

If you're so right, NOBODY would do what you appear to hope happens, and everything goes to crap for both us and Monroe!

I'm struggling with your logic, because you only get your wish if Monroe is built up in the press and seen as a great buy for some team, which gets us the pieces in trade that we need!  Just Observing!

I think the conflict is in which manner he parts, I know I can't cheer any success he has directly with the team or as it relates to the team overall success because I can't se him here next season. I don't think I have conflict with how I feel about Moose as a player though.
avatar
WTF

Posts : 4148
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

At war with yourself?

Post  Oracle on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 pm

WISEFAN wrote:Hard to applaud anything that Moose does considering his current contract status with the team.  I haven't done a sh!t load of Moose Bashing this season because of his current contract and my general perception of his game.  Quietly I sit and hope he's just good enough that some other team values him high enough that a decent sign and trade scenario looms possible this summer.  

I still think he's a turd and we can do better as far as that PF position goes,  I don't like his overall defensive effort and the lack of a mid range still.  Be careful folks in wrapping yourself in the hopes of him staying because I don' see it happening and that he'll likely bolts.  The only way he stays and I'm not so sure about that is if bottom feeders are his only real option and that has some real merit to it considering how things didn't go as he thought this past summer as far as offers goes.  

I think we are seeing the best of Moose and that this consistent double guy everyone seems to wish for will not materialize and that SVG will make a huge mistake in over paying.  I'm still not sold that both he and Andre are a perfect match because both need to play center and both require a PF and SF that are capable of stretching the floor.  

Would I keep Moose if he exclusive played the center position? Perhaps but SVG has already cemented Andre as Franchise Player (wrongly and prematurely)  so Moose will be stuck in a position he's not really suited to be in.   Just Saying

You're in one hell of a conflict with yourself!

If you're so right, NOBODY would do what you appear to hope happens, and everything goes to crap for both us and Monroe!

I'm struggling with your logic, because you only get your wish if Monroe is built up in the press and seen as a great buy for some team, which gets us the pieces in trade that we need!  Just Observing!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Irrelevance Warning

Post  WTF on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Hard to applaud anything that Moose does considering his current contract status with the team. I haven't done a sh!t load of Moose Bashing this season because of his current contract and my general perception of his game. Quietly I sit and hope he's just good enough that some other team values him high enough that a decent sign and trade scenario looms possible this summer.

I still think he's a turd and we can do better as far as that PF position goes, I don't like his overall defensive effort and the lack of a mid range still. Be careful folks in wrapping yourself in the hopes of him staying because I don' see it happening and that he'll likely bolts. The only way he stays and I'm not so sure about that is if bottom feeders are his only real option and that has some real merit to it considering how things didn't go as he thought this past summer as far as offers goes.

I think we are seeing the best of Moose and that this consistent double guy everyone seems to wish for will not materialize and that SVG will make a huge mistake in over paying. I'm still not sold that both he and Andre are a perfect match because both need to play center and both require a PF and SF that are capable of stretching the floor.

Would I keep Moose if he exclusive played the center position? Perhaps but SVG has already cemented Andre as Franchise Player (wrongly and prematurely) so Moose will be stuck in a position he's not really suited to be in. Just Saying
avatar
WTF

Posts : 4148
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wake up to the Moose Reality!

Post  Oracle on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Start believing your eyes, not the past - Greg Monroe's historic January put him in exclusive company

BTW: Another big game tonight... I guess we better get used to all of them being that way lol lol lol
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don on fire!!!

Post  Oracle on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Don, you've had 3 very good posts, your last 3!

1. Role - This is exactly the case with Singler and others, players need to know their role and stick to it! This is exactly the reason SVG had to move Josh! The NBA is a politically correct league in that they have a hard time telling someone with seniority to come off the bench. Josh would have been disrespected coming off the bench in Detroit, but coming off the bench behind Howard and Harden is no shame. He accepted the ROLE with no problem!

2. Defense - Yes Singler's defense has ticked up, and most have not noticed it. While I agree with you about the results, let me add one more thing. Singler is benefiting from an overall improvement in the Pistons TEAM defense! He's no longer left on an island defending players, now the Pistons have a very good help defensive plan that is really working well. Watch how much more effective they are when switching and recovering, and how they've figured out how to better handle teams screening them! What SVG has done there is really impressive!

3. Dinwiddie - I thought you did a great job of explaining why that 2nd unit was failing, and how it wasn't Dinwiddie's fault, and I agree!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Problems with the 2nd unit has more to due to the player combination used than the play of Spencer Dinwiddie

Post  cool breeze on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:54 am

In Stan Van Gundy's post game interview, he mentioned how the Piston offense did not have the zip they had before Augustin went to the bench. While I usually agree with everything Stan has to say, I believe he was missing something big as to why Miami was able to cut into that big Piston lead in the 2nd quarter. It had nothing to do with Spencer Dinwiddlie's play and everything to do with the 4 players Van Gundy selected to play with Dinwiddie. Once the Piston coach brought in Monroe, Butler, Tolliver and Meeks to play with Spencer Miami pushed the basketball knowing that Monroe could not keep up with any of Miami's big men. Many times Miami had scored before Greg even made it to the painted area on defense. Neither Tolliver or Monroe could guard Bosh yet the speedy Jerebco was left on the bench again. The reason why Detroit couldn't push the basketball was the fact that that unit could get no stops. Dinwiddie's man did not score but Miami was able to get easy open shots and 2nd chance opportunities on every possession it seemed. I do not believe that Monroe is the guy who should be playing in the 2nd unit unless the opposing team has slow players. It was amazing to me that Van Gundy did not make an adjustment despite the way Bosh was scoring so easily and the other big man used with Bosh was having his way as well. The other problem with the current 2nd unit is Meeks who shot two straight air balls in the half court offense to start things off in the 2nd quarter. Meeks is playing hard and trying to make up for his mistakes on offense by playing hard on defense so that is a good thing. But at times, Jody is matched up with a must taller player to guard. He is a short 2 guard on NBA standards. He makes up for this problem with his quickness but over the past month, his shots are not falling. So being this unit cannot get stops on defense, and Meeks can't hit an outside shot or a mid range shot, the only other offensive threat is Monroe who is being doubled. Butler played a much better 2nd half and could provide more scoring. But Tolliver is showing that he has problems defending power forwards and getting defensive rebounds when playing with this group of players too. So when Monroe and Tolliver are playing the two big men positions, look for more teams to push the basketball and push Tolliver out of the way to get offensive rebounds. Van Gundy dropped the ball last night and made zero adjustments with this 2nd unit and I am surprised.

Somehow either Jerebco is on the trading block which could be the case, or Van Gundy or as we used to say in the army, Van Gundy has a case of the ass regarding using Jerebco. If so, he has a short memory because is was Jerebco who provided high energy in the games directly after Smith was released when he got extensive playing time with the 2nd unit. Now it also appears that Jerebco has been sitting on the bench so long that he is losing confidence with his outside shooting. He is afraid that he will make a mistake and is not playing like the Jonas Jerebco we all loved to watch.

With that said, there is no way in hell that Van Gundy's current selection of 2nd unit players can be effective if Tolliver and Monroe are on the floor together. Don't try to shift the blame on to Spencer Dinwiddie coach. If Stan wants more scoring out of the point guard, then tell Dinwiddie to start shooting the ball. Spencer makes few mistakes and had no turnovers last night. He can score if that is what the coach wants out of him. But it appears that Van Gundy has Spencer playing scared now and he will now be in the same boat he was before Jennings was injured. I believe all Dinwiddie needs is about 20 games playing at least 15 minutes and he would show his talent as a really good all around basketball player.

cool breeze

Posts : 2718
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:26 am

deusXango wrote:
Oracle wrote:
But it was your comment on Monroe that really threw me off! Monroe was huge in this game, but in ways you appear to have missed.

Monroe went for 12 points & 9 boards, but he was in foul trouble with 5, but what you may have missed is something new. Monroe has been playing so well that now teams are double teaming him! If it's happened before I didn't notice it, but tonight Miami made an effort to take him away from us by doubling.

Doubling is only successful when others fail to make them pay, and we managed to make them pay. Monroe getting doubled is good news, and he still almost had a double/double!
Oracle, the good things this team does when they're clicking, especially after that damnable start to the season, happen so fast that I can't make an accurate read on them in real time and Monroe being double teamed is one of them; Monroe has never been known as a defensive force, that coupled with the game Bosh was having last night, I made a sarcastic remark, and that remark was made before Monroe went to work in earnest himself.

Before I drift too far afield, that was a great game last night and played like a team that's serious about making some noise in the playoffs, and not being satisfied for just getting there. Hopefully they're gearing up to give Atlanta or Cleveland all the hell they can handle and if either one stumbles, we're Cinderella!

Bosh and Whiteside are as good a pair of interior players that we've faced this year, albeit not with as much chemistry established as they'll have later in the year, but our big men held their own beautifully. Yeah, barring foul trouble, Monroe would've undoubtedly had another double-double.

Don, here's my take on Singler's improvement; take a page from the book of Kelly Tripucka...if you can't stop 'em, out score their asses. Tripucka was the poorest defender to ever start for the Pistons, but was one of the highest scoring Pistons ever. I honestly don't see this stellar defense you talk about, but I do see a guy capable of being a consistent high scorer. Singler is from Duke, but Tripucka was from Notre Dame, which was Duke before Duke got to be who they are; what I'm saying is, the preparation a player gets from an elite program should show on the big stage and not be hidden under a rock.  

dX Start watching how many points the guy Singler is assigned to guard in coming games. Last night Kyle did a great job on Deng. Check out how Singler helps on weak side defense as well and yet gets back quick to the baseline 3 point line. He has great anticipation on defense. What I am seeing is that all the young players are embracing Stan Van Gundy's staff's coaching. All the skill players Jennings, Augustin, Singler, Drummond and especially Pope. Over the past two weeks, KCP is showing that he can be an All Star 2 guard in the NBA. He is lightning quick, plays excellent defense with attitude, runs the floor as hard as anyone, and now is becoming confident in his 3 point shooting and mid range game. Pope is going to explode if he can avoid injury perhaps as quick as next season. Singler is capable of becoming a deadly outside shooter but it is going to take time. For young players who are showing improvement, the difficult part of becoming consistent with energy is due to the crazy NBA schedule. These players are facing another bunch of games crammed into a short period of time mixed in with travel. There is no way Augustin is going to be able to play that fast in every game. Burt what a performance last night by DJ!

cool breeze

Posts : 2718
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Miami

Post  Sparma on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:07 am

Good post, Deus, although I do agree with Oracle that Monroe played an important role. For instance, I remember Kelser commenting on an easy basket by KCP due to Monroe being double teamed. Now how much of Bosh's going off was due to him, I'm not sure.

I agree with you that Augustin's run the team better than Jennings did, that brilliant stretch by Jennings notwithstanding. Isiah had a striking compliment for Augustin, namely that he's unusual among today's PG in holding most to the center of the court, where many go sideways.

And Lucas did look like he could hold down the 3rd PG spot. Or is it the second? I'm going to be disappointed if Spencer can't earn the 2nd spot.

deusXango wrote:While watching the game tonight I couldn't help but wonder how long D.J. Augustin is going to be looked upon as no more than a backup PG; he's running the offense more effectively than Jennings did and has been since Jennings has been hurt! With the exception of that one game, when everybody stunk, he's played a more balanced game than I've seen a PG in a Pistons uniform play in a long time; when he scores, he dishes assists also....it's not about the "D.J. Show," but about the Pistons. I hate that Jennings is hurt, but I think we'll be okay at PG.

F@ck Norris Cole! I'm going to get behind John Lucas III right now, based on their individual performances tonight, and be glad that trade didn't go through with Miami....I don't particularly care for "old greasy" and his underhanded slick sh!t either....I'm satisfied with the 3rd string PG we've signed.

I have no idea what's up with Meeks, but Don's boy, Singler is beginning to show some consistency on the offensive end and that's what I wanted to see from this guy....good game Kyle.

Did Moose play tonight?
avatar
Sparma

Posts : 1111
Join date : 2011-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great win!!

Post  deusXango on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:00 am

Oracle wrote:
But it was your comment on Monroe that really threw me off! Monroe was huge in this game, but in ways you appear to have missed.

Monroe went for 12 points & 9 boards, but he was in foul trouble with 5, but what you may have missed is something new. Monroe has been playing so well that now teams are double teaming him! If it's happened before I didn't notice it, but tonight Miami made an effort to take him away from us by doubling.

Doubling is only successful when others fail to make them pay, and we managed to make them pay. Monroe getting doubled is good news, and he still almost had a double/double!
Oracle, the good things this team does when they're clicking, especially after that damnable start to the season, happen so fast that I can't make an accurate read on them in real time and Monroe being double teamed is one of them; Monroe has never been known as a defensive force, that coupled with the game Bosh was having last night, I made a sarcastic remark, and that remark was made before Monroe went to work in earnest himself.

Before I drift too far afield, that was a great game last night and played like a team that's serious about making some noise in the playoffs, and not being satisfied for just getting there. Hopefully they're gearing up to give Atlanta or Cleveland all the hell they can handle and if either one stumbles, we're Cinderella!

Bosh and Whiteside are as good a pair of interior players that we've faced this year, albeit not with as much chemistry established as they'll have later in the year, but our big men held their own beautifully. Yeah, barring foul trouble, Monroe would've undoubtedly had another double-double.

Don, here's my take on Singler's improvement; take a page from the book of Kelly Tripucka...if you can't stop 'em, out score their asses. Tripucka was the poorest defender to ever start for the Pistons, but was one of the highest scoring Pistons ever. I honestly don't see this stellar defense you talk about, but I do see a guy capable of being a consistent high scorer. Singler is from Duke, but Tripucka was from Notre Dame, which was Duke before Duke got to be who they are; what I'm saying is, the preparation a player gets from an elite program should show on the big stage and not be hidden under a rock.
avatar
deusXango

Posts : 2831
Join date : 2011-12-21
Location : Oaxaca, Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BIG Win!!!

Post  Oracle on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:34 am

deusXango wrote:While watching the game tonight I couldn't help but wonder how long D.J. Augustin is going to be looked upon as no more than a backup PG; he's running the offense more effectively than Jennings did and has been since Jennings has been hurt! With the exception of that one game, when everybody stunk, he's played a more balanced game than I've seen a PG in a Pistons uniform play in a long time; when he scores, he dishes assists also....it's not about the "D.J. Show," but about the Pistons. I hate that Jennings is hurt, but I think we'll be okay at PG.

F@ck Norris Cole! I'm going to get behind John Lucas III right now, based on their individual performances tonight, and be glad that trade didn't go through with Miami....I don't particularly care for "old greasy" and his underhanded slick sh!t either....I'm satisfied with the 3rd string PG we've signed.

I have no idea what's up with Meeks, but Don's boy, Singler is beginning to show some consistency on the offensive end and that's what I wanted to see from this guy....good game Kyle.

Did Moose play tonight?

To get to the 7th or 8th spot, we have to beat teams in front of us, especially teams in those two positions!

The Pistons executed that to perfection last night!

DX, I don't know what happened to Meeks either, the dude just went from spectacular to damn near invisible. However, the good thing about him is his constant movement and the fact that teams do have to respect him even when he's in a slump.

Singler does seem to be finding himself, let's just hope it continues, because if it does, the team will be a lot better!

But it's the rise of KCP that's quite interesting. Another great outing, this time going for 18/4 with 3 steals!

Then as you mentioned, Augustin is on fire with 25 points and 13 assists... Jennings who? Wow!

But it was your comment on Monroe that really threw me off! Monroe was huge in this game, but in ways you appear to have missed.

Monroe went for 12 points & 9 boards, but he was in foul trouble with 5, but what you may have missed is something new. Monroe has been playing so well that now teams are double teaming him! If it's happened before I didn't notice it, but tonight Miami made an effort to take him away from us by doubling.

Doubling is only successful when others fail to make them pay, and we managed to make them pay. Monroe getting doubled is good news, and he still almost had a double/double!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Looks like we're on the move again.

Post  deusXango on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:32 pm

While watching the game tonight I couldn't help but wonder how long D.J. Augustin is going to be looked upon as no more than a backup PG; he's running the offense more effectively than Jennings did and has been since Jennings has been hurt! With the exception of that one game, when everybody stunk, he's played a more balanced game than I've seen a PG in a Pistons uniform play in a long time; when he scores, he dishes assists also....it's not about the "D.J. Show," but about the Pistons. I hate that Jennings is hurt, but I think we'll be okay at PG.

F@ck Norris Cole! I'm going to get behind John Lucas III right now, based on their individual performances tonight, and be glad that trade didn't go through with Miami....I don't particularly care for "old greasy" and his underhanded slick sh!t either....I'm satisfied with the 3rd string PG we've signed.

I have no idea what's up with Meeks, but Don's boy, Singler is beginning to show some consistency on the offensive end and that's what I wanted to see from this guy....good game Kyle.

Did Moose play tonight?
avatar
deusXango

Posts : 2831
Join date : 2011-12-21
Location : Oaxaca, Mexico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

DX

Post  WTF on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:44 pm

deusXango wrote:"The thought of playing their former team twice a year is often highly appealing to high-profile NFL free agents, and signing with the Lions would do this for Peterson. The Lions will be right up against the salary cap but will undoubtedly be looking to improve their running game in 2015. Detroit has a couple of nice complementary backs on its roster — Reggie Bush and Joique Bell — but both have struggled to stay healthy with the Lions. The team looks like it may be close to being a legitimate contender in the NFC, and adding a player like Peterson may be enough to help the Lions reach their first Super Bowl in franchise history."

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/where-will-suspended-rb-adrian-peterson-play-in-2015.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3Qgifw8nd

Come on and help us to the Super Bowl!!!!

Man I would love to see that happen, I like Bell and Bush especially Bell but man if we had Peterson Wow!
avatar
WTF

Posts : 4148
Join date : 2011-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wilson/ Brady

Post  Sparma on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:40 pm

I don't watch a lot of football, so here goes, taken with a grain of salt.

Watching on Sunday, here's what struck me:

Wilson:
a) superb in his escapability, b) very good accuracy, c) but threw several floaters which looked like 60-40 balls to me. I was surprised he wasn't intercepted until the end.

Brady:

not as good a Super Bowl performance as I've ever seen, but as impressive a QB performance as seen, working from the premise that Seattle's defense was comparable to last year's (granted, various injuries make that a questionable premise). Early, Brady threw so quick that the pressure didn't get to him. He was really effective early against a great D. He did make a gaffe on the first interception. In the middle half of the game, the pressure grew and grew, contributing hugely to that second interception. Adjustments were made: Brady dropped back farther, Gronk was featured more. Brady's fourth quarter was a thing of beauty.

This should settle the Brady-Peyton debate, unless Manning can make a miraculous comeback. It's tough for me to claim that Brady's the best ever, when I convinced a significantly better QB's playing now (not for his career yet though), up in Green Bay. Pretty awesome stuff though.

avatar
Sparma

Posts : 1111
Join date : 2011-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lemon

Post  Oracle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Lemonpen wrote:The Seahawks strength is defense and running the ball. I can't for the life of me figure out why Carrol thought passing was a better idea after they JUST ran Lynch over LT for 4 yards. That int was the same as a pitcher loosing the World Series on a game winning home run off of his third best pitch.

The Seahawks strength is obviously a great defense, accent on the secondary, and running the ball is certainly one as well, but passing is, IMO, their #2 strength behind the defense.

Russell Wilson, while not a pure QB like Brady, was the best QB, IMO, on the field that game! They win on his arm, not on their running most times, and that's how they beat GB and how they should have beat NE.

Finally, I couldn't disagree more with your last comment. It's nothing like the pitching example for reasons I already outlined, but for a more fundamental reason.

The main reason it was the perfect play call for that situation is EXACTLY the reason the you and a lot of talking heads are saying right now. EVERYBODY was expecting exactly what you said that they should do, so the smart move would be to take advantage of people so sure about something and throw them a curve... it's done all of the time in the NFL!

There was a lot of time left in the game, so I would have ran a corner pattern of a back of the end zone pass, not a pass into the line where a team expecting a run is all bunched up!!! That was the DUMB part, and I blame Wilson for that.

Even if that's the play drawn up, you have to not throw that one!!!

Having said that, my initial thought was that they were going to run Lynch right through their asses because that close to the goal line, he almost can't be stopped! So it's not like I totally agree with the pass play, I just don't see that call being as wrong as people are saying it was!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Really?

Post  Oracle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:40 pm

WISEFAN wrote:
Oracle wrote:BTW, since when do you call making a great catch "Gifting" somebody anything. The pass was almost perfect, and he came up with it amazingly! That just great football!

It wasn't a great pass, it was greatly defended and tipped unfortunately in the air and yes the Football Gods let that ball fall into the hands of the receiver while lying on his back.  Yes great that he amazingly came away with the ball otherwise it was 4th down and the scenario is far more difficult. Perfect passes aren't caught on your back but lucky ones are tb

I can't say really if Carroll made the right or wrong call but if I'm passing the ball it's not in the middle of the field it's a corner fade route.  

Speculation is Suh will resign with the team so that's a plus. not sure what happen with Fairley though.  I'm not being a public opinion hater on either Rice or Petersen and would love to see one of them on this squad if the price is right which it should be.  They've made poor judgments but it doesn't mean they don't deserve second chances.  That and an upgrade on the offensive line and I think we're good to go.  

The ball is thrown in almost the exact right spot for the height & leaping ability of his receiver, he was hitting his target! Sure it was tipped by a great defensive play, but that takes nothing away from the pass!
avatar
Oracle

Posts : 6253
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

IDK

Post  lemonpen on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Oracle wrote:
WISEFAN wrote:One day soon Stafford is going to be as good as Brady tb  lol

I don't care if Brady ever wins again I just wanted him to get number 4 and be right there with Bradshaw and Montana.   Thanks Pete Carroll for turning complete Moron!  The Football Gods all but gifted you this game and you re gifted it right to the Patriots.  WOW!  


Yeah, smile when you say that! My hope for the Lions is that they keep the defense intact, and shore up the offensive line to give Stafford a bit more time.

People are creaming the Seahawks for that call, but it was the right call, IMO, but I don't know WTF they were thinking!

When everybody expecting Lynch to run it, the pass is the best play to execute. But you don't throw the pass into the middle of the line where a run would have been, because you know there's going to be traffic!

A pass to the corner would have been a lot smarter, or even to the back of the end zone, anywhere where the QG has a chance to throw it away if it isn't there!

Right play, just drawn up by a dummy!

I'm a huge Brady fan, but there's no way they should have won that game. The Seahawks defense was so banged up, it's amazing they could even finish the game, but even so, the Seahawks lost it.

BTW, since when do you call making a great catch "Gifting" somebody anything. The pass was almost perfect, and he came up with it amazingly! That just great football!

The Seahawks strength is defense and running the ball. I can't for the life of me figure out why Carrol thought passing was a better idea after they JUST ran Lynch over LT for 4 yards. That int was the same as a pitcher loosing the World Series on a game winning home run off of his third best pitch.
avatar
lemonpen

Posts : 964
Join date : 2011-12-27
Location : Southfield, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  cool breeze on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:35 pm

WISEFAN wrote:I honestly tried finding justification not for Kyle's playing time.  Offensively we know he has some amount of potential but is far to inconsistent for the number of minutes he's getting.  

I constantly hear terms like glue guy and high BB IQ and so on so I honestly took a look at that as well.  Now perhaps my interpretation of glue guy is different from others I equate it to a single stat (assists totals).  IMO glue guys are always making the right decisions thus I think there assist numbers should be around 5 a game.

I wanted to make a defensive argument for Kyles minutes and couldn't even come close to justifying his playing time.  I looked at 3 stats that IMO should provide defensive reasoning (rebs, steals and blocks). For a starting SF or SF period Kyles stats stink to high heavens IMO  and doesn't warrant the PT he's getting either.  

So beyond Kyle being a nice guy, and teachers pet he stinks and should not be starting.  I try making the argument of playing hard and effort, but what he doesn't do consistently is get his ass handed to him defensively rather he's guarding the SF or SG position, his perimeter defense is horrid for a guy his size, and his speed and athleticism is well below average.  

Okay so I went and looked at Kyles his 2nd season and compared them to the stats of Tayshaun 2nd season.  Very similar stats but what I concluded when doing so while Tayshaun had an excuses (CB, Rip, Wallace and Wallace) for under performing I can't find a reason why Kyle stats should not be a lot better than what they are considering how bad this team is.

What I do know is missing are the intangibles that made Prince better.  Prince potential was greatly recognizable but he was destiny to underachieve on this team with CB and Rip though I thought he should have been more aggressive in his role.  I don't see that growth in Kyle as we saw in Prince who stats improved greatly by his 3rd season.   Well Kyle is basking in his 3rd season facepalm

Wisefan you must remember what the coach has determined to be the role of each player on the team. If Detroit had Labron James, the coach would have high expectations that the small forward position would be a first option in whatever offensive plan is decided upon. It bothers me that there are fans who write negative stuff about a Piston player who just played a great game against Houston a few days ago. Did you play basketball in high school? If so then if you had a good coach you would know what your role would be for that particular team you played on. If you failed to do your job you would sit on the bench right? Remember when Prince was in his 2nd season and had locked down the starter spot? Billups seldom passed the basketball to Prince. He stood outside the 3 point line just like Singler while Billups played one side of the floor focusing on finding Hamilton running through several picks to get open for the mid range jump shot. As for Singler, I am surprised that Kyle shoots such a high percentage from beyond the 3 point line considering the fact that he seldom touches the basketball. Many of you fans discount what Singler brings to this team and have never understood why 4 coaching staffs have selected him to be a starter at two different positions. Coaches trust Kyle Singler especially on defense. Stan Van Gundy once said that he believed that Pope and Singler are the two best defenders on the team. Singler can guard both 2 guards and small forwards. In the last game, it was Pope guarding Houston's All star point guard but in part of the first half and in the 4 quarter, Singler was asked to guard Harden. He also is a good weak side defender who covers for mistakes of Monroe who often wanders out of the painted area. Singler is big enough to box out power forwards. If you didn't notice, he also blocks shots in the paint usually during important times in games. There is a reason why Kyle Singler was voted MVP in the NCAA finals as a Junior for Duke. He has been a champion at every level his has played except for the NBA. There will be many teams lined up to sign Singler and I am worried he will take a better offer. We have a small forward who is paid very little that is a team first guy who always brings positive energy to a team. He is not a jerk off type person that coaches and teammates dislike. However, it is a waste of time to try to convince Singler haters. I remember that there were many fans who wrote negative things about Kyle when he was selected as a 2nd rounder. I had to laugh at those comments because the same people were singing with joy the year that Austin Daye was drafted in the first round. Then there were the posters who regardless of the facts insisted that Charlie V and Austin Daye were not given a proper chance much like they are doing this season with Datome. How you guys come up with such nonsense is beyond me. You have to be a coach or at least connected to a team in some way so you know everything that is going on in practice, off the court, the players actual skill set and what goes on in team meetings to know much of anything. I agree that Kyle Singler has some defects in his game. But he has never been the cause of how far down in the gutter this team has been at times in the past since he has been a Piston. Some fans ignore the fact that Jason Maxiell was a starter at power forward while Monroe was out of shape and playing at half speed starting at center when Brandon Knight was trying to find his way playing point guard for the Pistons. All the talk was about Knight being a failure even though the Pistons were unable to run a simple pick and roll play or defend a pick and roll play. Knight is showing that he is becoming one of the best point guards and all around players in the league. His team has a winning record and most likely if he were a Piston this team would have a winning record. I admit that sometimes I might say something that is wrong because I didn't know that I didn't know. But with basketball too many fans don't know that they don't know and never figure that out about themselves.

Most likely Singler will move on and then he will shine after getting more experience in the league. He might become another Kyle Korver and will likely take a moderate new contract offer. The one thing about Singler is that he does know what his weaknesses are at least and works his ass off to eliminate those weaknesses just like his former teammate, Brandon Knight. Those players always are successful in the NBA. Everyone is talented but how many players bother to work on their weaknesses or even admit that they have weaknesses? I know one who doesn't and he is your guy, Josh Smith. How many years has he been in the league and still can't shoot a free throw even in the 50% range?

Finally, it is not likely that whoever plays the small forward position in the future will be a first option because Stan Van Gundy will feature his up and coming young shooting guard Pope in that role. He may add a high scoring outside shooting power forward as well and of course Van Gundy wants a lot of scoring to come from his point guards. So now what is the role of a small forward on this particular Piston team Wisefan? Are there plays set up for the small forward in the half court offense? Does the coach want the small forward to shoot the ball 15 times in a game on this team? Does Van Gundy want the small forward to focus on the defensive end more than the offensive end? Singler has had many bad moments this season and more than I expected but no more than any other member of his team.

This Piston team wins or loses depending on how much energy the big men give to the team. That has been the biggest problem. And the big men are still a day late and a dollar short relating to playing solid defense. We never know from one game to the next how hard both Monroe and Drummond will play and if they can focus for an entire game. That is the biggest worry of head coach Stan Van Gundy from game to game, not what Kyle Singler is doing. Do our big men have enough quickness to ever be really good defensive players to can get stops in crunch time? They are getting better and I am enjoying this improvement and hope they both stay and become smart hard working guys who will do everything necessary for their team to win every night. As long as we have both Monroe and Drummond, they will decide the path of the Detroit Pistons.

cool breeze

Posts : 2718
Join date : 2011-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORUM

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum